START GAME

Interactive Prologue—please read the rules before replying!

This building is familiar to the students, though more outdated than their own classrooms back in Shiroiwa. A two-story building, the schoolhouse has been only loosely retrofitted for its new role as command center of the program's staff, but students will be hard-pressed to mount any sort of effectual resistance, as personnel do not pass the windows and the area around the building is forbidden for entry to a distance of three hundred meters.

Moderator: BRAU2 Director

The Director

START GAME

Post by The Director »

School Bus, 7:00 PM-10:00 PM Local Time, Republic Of Greater East Asia

By a few hours into the bus ride, the students of Shiroiwa High School's Third Year Class B had settled into the routine. Some stared out the windows. Some talked in small groups with their friends. Some buried their noses in books.

There was nothing out of the ordinary about the trip, except for its duration. Over the past two years together, they had established a routine and a pecking order, and all of that was playing out as usual for this multi-day trip to Kyushu.

The itinerary called for an overnight drive, which nobody was too thrilled about. The bus wasn't equipped for comfortable sleeping, certainly with nothing that passed for a bed. Most of the students planned to stay awake until they reached their destination, though a few had already closed their eyes.

And yet, as the night went on, everyone started to drift away. A little before ten o'clock, even those who had been full of energy a short time prior found themselves passing out.

In the last few seconds of consciousness, some students might have been surprised to note that the bus driver was wearing a gas mask.

Schoolhouse (G8), 1:00 AM Local Time, Okishima Island, Republic Of Greater East Asia

"Ahem."

The voice cut through the stillness, snapping some members of the class back to wakefulness.

For a moment, it seemed like everything could be normal. They were seated in their assigned desks, just like always, in a classroom that was the spitting image of the one they all knew so well. But closer inspection revealed little details that didn't line up.

The desks were missing the familiar graffiti, with new carvings taking its place. Some of the equipment was a little older, a little dirtier. The windows were covered, both those facing outside (blocked by dully reflective metal sheets) and those pointing towards the hall (blacked over with some sort of paper or cloth).

Moreover, instead of the familiar Mr. Hayashida with his wide round glasses, behind the lectern at the front of the room stood a stranger. He was stocky, but in a muscular way, and he was fairly short, something concentrated in his legs, which looked off compared to his normal-sized upper body. He had rosy cheeks and a cheerful smile, and long, well-styled hair, and he wore a badge indicating government affiliation pinned to his old, well-worn clothes.

"Good morning, everyone," the man said. "Are you all awake? Do you need a moment?"

He paused, briefly, allowing time for the stragglers to stir.

"Very good," he continued. "It's a pleasure to meet you all. My name is Kinpatsu Sakamochi, and I'll be your new teacher."
[+] How This Works
It's been a while since the first BRAU, and things are a little different this time around. As of now, the Prologue is open for interaction. It will remain active as the primary focus until April 17, or thereabouts—this may slide a day or two if RL rears its ugly head.

Every night, the briefing will continue. You're free to RP between updates (or not) as you desire, but please note that each pause accounts for no more than roughly thirty to sixty seconds of time. There is not time to arrange complicated plans.

Additionally, Sakamochi and the soldiers on standby are not interested in engaging students in involved discussions or banter beyond brief quips and clarifications. Notable offenders will (most likely) be given a single warning, with further disruptions punished with violence.

If you wish to have your character suffer violence at the hands of the game-runners (or to engage in other shenanigans), please get in tough with MW or Yugi ASAP. Anything of the sort must take place during the initial phases, before students start being released from the classroom.

There is no post order in this thread. Once the briefing is complete, students will be called in a random order (in the source material it's sequential, but for purposes of practicality this is being abandoned), handed a bag, and sent out into the island. Participating in this step (and the Prologue as a whole!) is optional, but if you intend to, you must do so before your character gets posts outside the school building. The deployment phase will begin on or soon after April 17, and from this point forwards, each character may have only a single post in the thread, in which they should depart it.

Activity enforcement begins at the same time as the deployment phase, and deployment posts do not count for activity purposes.

If you have any questions, please contact MW or Yugi!
[+] Surprise
Thanks to Claire for sig image!
Jilly
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Jilly »

Shogo Kawada (Male Student No. 5) said nothing. His head hung low as he stared down at his assigned desk all the way in the back of the room. His eyes burned a hole through a heavily stylized "S" in black ink that had been etched into the corner and stuck in there for some time.

He didn't smile or frown, either; he was stonewall. He already saw this play. He already knew he failed.
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

(Deep in her mind, she knew what this was about.)

(But yet, she had hoped-)

''Hello, Mr. Sakamochi,'' she said, fixing the most polite smile she could on her face.

It wasn't a very big smile.

(She wanted to say that her first thought was something noble- 'how do I protect my friends,' or even 'Do I have to warn anyone,' maybe. But instead, she was thinking about how to get the biggest, fastest bullet, whatever that means, she could through the skulls of about five different people in the room before they could do the same to her and her friends. And then, there was that horrifying realization- of Yukie. Of every corpse she'd have to get through along the way.)

''Are you our substitute for the day?''

Head tilted, lips quirked up, the very picture of innocence, even though it didn't mean anything, even without the fact that she played with her tamagotchis in class. Whatever she could to not seem like a threat, she tried.

(A student three games ago stood up and told a soldier to kill her, right there, right now. He refused. So she walked towards the man, reached her hand towards his gun, and he shot her in the leg instead of the head.)

(Five years ago, boy did almost the same thing. The moment his hand left his side his brain exploded.)

(Twelve years ago someone took the pencil in her hand and rammed it into her eye repeatedly.)

(A girl tried the same thing, but to her neighbor's face, a year before that.)

(And now, in the middle of 1997, Haruka had a hand on the table and a grin in her face.)

She's going to sit through this fucking presentation if it killed her. It was the least she could do. Don't show fear. Don't give in.
AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by AnimeNerd »

Megumi knew falling asleep in the bus seats wasn't going to be comfortable, but she knew it wasn't supposed to be this bad.

She shifted her body a little bit, trying to get position herself a little better, but as her eyes peeped open, she realized two things.

This wasn't the place she fell asleep, the bus seat at least had nice padding, and this was definitely a school chair, one she'd recognize easily.

And this wasn't the place she fell asleep in-she was on the bus before, and this...this was clearly a classroom.

And everyone was here, but there was some guy up front, claiming he was their new teacher? But...but Mr. Hayashida was their teacher?

And...and what were these things on everyone's necks?! They were like dog collars, but metal and even more uncomfortable, and...and...

"Is...please tell me this is a dream..."

It was quiet, mainly said to herself. Tears were starting to prick at the corners of her eyes.

Megumi really didn't want to be here right now.
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hirono's breathing started to quicken as she looked around. She ran her hand along the underside of her desk, and she couldn't feel any of the carvings that she had made into it over the course of the year. This was in the same place as her old desk, with Sasagawa's dumb ass sitting next to her, but everything else was wrong. This wasn't her desk. It was right next to the window, but she couldn't look out into the yard to while away a study period. Instead her reflection stared back at her, adding to the inherent wrongness of all of this.

"What the fuck is going on?" she muttered under her breath as her head turned like it was on a swivel. Her haphazard glances came to a rest at the man at the front. He wasn't Hayashida. There wasn't anything about him that even slightly reminded her of Hayashida. Worse, their so-called "new teacher" seemed eerily cheerful despite the situation. It was all hitting her wrong, and somewhere in the pit of her stomach, the part that had never steered her wrong before, she knew that she was in an awful place.
Sh4dE

Post by Sh4dE »

The thick-lashed eyes of Yoji Kuramato (Male Student No. 8) opened wide as he woke up. Did he fall asleep?

He looked around and something felt off. This classroom they were in, something was different about it. His memories slowly recalled being a bus next to Yoshimi-

He looked in her direction. She had something on her neck, but he couldn't tell what it was. Everyone else in the classroom also had it. Yoji's fingers went up to his neck and he could feel the coldness of the metal.
I'm so glad to be back !
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Yumiko was having another one of those dreams about her Egg Cats tri-tip ballpoint pen and that girl with the pink shoes, but anyways actually she was awake now, so that didn't matter anymore and... she'd already forgotten what she'd been dreaming about.

She was slumped over a desk for some reason, and that didn't make any sense to her because she'd been on the bus with everyone else when she fell asleep.

...ACK.

Her body shot upright. Her eyes widened. She turned her head to the boy who always sat to her right in class (Yoshitoki Kuninobu, Shuya Nanahara's bestie). Yoshitoki was sitting to her right, like normal. She leaned forward, looking past him and to her own bestie, Yukiko Kitano, who always sat to Yoshitoki's right.

"YUKIKO," she mouthed silently.
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nothing. This is nowhere. We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nowhere. There is no one here.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Kyoichi lightly stirred, face still pressed against his desk. He'd been half-asleep on the bus, last he remembered, the end result of his workaholic ways. He wasn't quite together enough to really process where he was. He could dimly hear chatter around him, sounding vaguely agitated, and he could tell he was sitting at a desk, presumably his own back in their classroom. Had he blacked out and forgotten the past few hours? Had he fallen totally asleep and been propped up here?

Something was wrong. He wasn't quite sure what, but clearly something fishy was happening.

He pushed himself upright, looking groggily at the man declaring himself their new teacher. Whatever was happening, hopefully he'd have answers
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Slam

Post by Slam »

Yuichiro felt himself stirring. He wasn't usually the type to fall asleep in class, even though he often had to stay up late because of his grandma. He did have a habit of daydreaming and zoning out, but not falling asleep. Soda helped.

What had happened? He had gotten on the bus ("don't worry about us, you have fun" his mom had told him as he'd left for the trip), sat next to Tadakatsu, and had been reading a new manga called Great Teacher Onizuka. Now he was here. He might've fallen asleep, that wasn't so unrealistic, but he didn't think he'd sleepwalk all the way back to his school desk.

And this definitely was his desk, at least position-wise. Right smack in the middle; he didn't even have the window seat near the back.

He looked around. Everyone was here: Tanizawa-san on his right, Chigusa-san on his left, and his best friend right in front of him. The only stranger was the new Sakamochi-sensei up front. Tanizawa-san spoke up, breaking the silence with an eery smile. She was being outwardly polite, but he could tell there was a million things going on in her head at that moment. Hers and his both.

It was the same layout, but it wasn't their classroom. Not their teacher, not their school, not anything he knew. It was like they had been transported to another world, except they didn't have superpowers.

Wait, were they going to get superpowers?
Second Chances 3
Lucas Brady - Ultra-Premium Grade - 1

Nu-BRAU
B13: Yuichiro Takiguchi - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11

SOTF: Supers
S028: Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] pregame
Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2
Sh4dE

Post by Sh4dE »

The cheeks of Hiroshi Kuronaga (Male Student No. 9) laid on his table. When waking up he could feel the pool of drool he had left on it while he had been out. He raised his head up, used his right hand to swipe off the saliva from the corner of his mouth and picked up his glasses from the table that had fallen off his nose during his slumber.

Hiroshi's blurry vision sharpened upon putting his glasses back to position and the mysterious person in front of the class received a form in Hiroshi's vision. The face was cheery, which was nothing unusual for teachers, they had to be happy, they had to smile. But it was the wardrobe of Sakamochi that caught his attention.

He was wearing the usual, classy teacher outfit, the typical old man teacher outfit, but over it he wore some kind of white military coat, as if he was some kind of officer. This wasn't a teacher.

"Who are you?!," Hiroshi asked in a loud exclaim.
I'm so glad to be back !
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Ryuhei Sasagawa never considered himself to be much of a vivid dreamer. Sure he had your usual fantasies about being a badass yakuza crimelord that every hot-blooded youth his age experienced, but more often than not they were your run-of-the-mill stream of consciousness, and his dreams that night were seemingly no different.

First he was on a school bus, heading somewhere on a big field trip with the rest of the Kiriyama Family, all doing their usual schtick after claiming the back of the bus as their territory. Then everything after that was a blur: There were flashes of violence, steamy makeout sessions with hot chicks, knife fights, karate fights, gun fights and it all ending with Sho getting a little too close for comfort, startling him awake to find himself back at his desk as per usual.

Man, that was fuckin' weird... he thought to himself, shivering as he looked up from where he was slumped forward on his desk. It didn't take him long however to figure out that there was something amiss about the scene, something that didn't seem right about class.

That's right, his chair wasn't turned backwards!

"HRrrrr, hmmph, huh... Wuh? Whaddafuq?!?" he'd mumble as he stirred from his slumber, reaching his hand up to give a slight tug on the metal thing around his neck. The hell did that get there? Come to think of it, this wasn't his classroom at all! Was he still dreaming? Wouldn't be the first time he dreamt of himself with a collar around his neck, though usually those dreams just involved him and Mitsuko. Looked like the entire class was here too!

It took him a hot second or so to get his bearings, still feeling nauseous as he rubbed his forehead. The school trip was real, that he was certain of, but the last thing he could remember was laying back in his seat pondering the meaning of life before waking up in class with a metal gizmo strapped around his neck. Then just to add to the confusion, standing there at the front of class was some smug-looking government type instead of Mr Hayashida!

Hiroshi seemed to have the right idea in questioning this jackoff, and not wanting to be left out, Ryuhei quickly thought of a snappy way of supporting his bro in getting their voices heard.

"Yeah!" he'd snarl and point before crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair.

Fucking nailed it.
Kicking Akamatsu in the face since 2010
Lilith

Post by Lilith »

Tadakatsu was one of the taller boys in the class.

He liked to joke that it was because he played baseball. Most people knew it wasn't case, and it was actually because of a late puberty but that was detail for another day. Today, he didn't feel like joking about it. His stomach was churning, almost hoping it would make smaller as his esophagus knotted and choked on itself.

He was big. The largest target in the room. A stray bullet could hit him and-

Fuck. He had to find Shuya. He had to find Mitsuko. He had to find Satomi.

And he had to find Yuichiro.

He looked around with haste to the left and right. Tadaktasu was right in the front with only two students on his right. He shuddered, his teeth nipping and snapping against themselves and his lips. He was gonna' piss himself at this rate.

He couldn't find Yuichiro on his sides. He bit his lips. He mentally send him waves or whatever, like telepathy or something.

Look at me, dude. I'm right here. Come ooon.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Chisato found herself blinking as she was trying to take in her slightly blurred surroundings, feeling a bit groggy at best. She needed a few seconds to wake up her sleepy mind. Once her head was feeling clearer, she felt a tight tug of nervousness taking over. Something was wrong. She squinted a little as she noticed some sort of strange-like metal collar around a few of her classmates' necks. Something was very, very wrong.

She glanced to her left and her right a little. She had Shinji one side and Kyoichi on the other. She wanted to speak up to them and ask what was happening. But then she realized that there was no way that they would know either.

The man at the front who called himself Kinpatsu Sakamochi, was claiming to be their teacher now and she suddenly had a sinking feeling of dread and fear.

Where was Mr. Hayashida?
Espi
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Espi »

Takako Chigusa (Female Student 13) was not a light sleeper. She'd been among the first to wake up and regain her bearings.

She was pissed, naturally. Scared a bit, too, but there was no shame in that. More importantly, she wasn't going to panic. If she panicked, she'd do something stupid like try to run. She was a damn fast runner, but not fast enough to outrun bullets. Or the collar around her neck, like she was a dog. An animal.

Instead, Takako tried to get her bearings, distracting herself from her nerves by focusing on keeping her expression stoic and on examining her surrounings. She ignored the soldiers and the so-called teacher up front. That otaku boy was next to her, and on the other side was the gay boy. She recognized some of the people here. Not a good thing, obviously. She might have been better off surrounded by strangers, that way she'd--

Takako turned to her left and sharply inhaled, the first sound she'd made since she woke up.

Shit. She could see him a few seats down. Hiroki was here, too.

Takako turned away, not looking at him. She couldn't afford to fixate on him. Not here or now. Maybe later, but not yet. She turned to her right and noticed that Niida-san was there, too. She felt a little less bad about that, at least. She still hadn't forgiven him, bastard he was. Not that he'd given her a chance, given he'd kept up with his crap after their little talk.

For a brief moment, she relaxed a little.
carduinal-cyn
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by carduinal-cyn »

((Sho Tsukioka continued from Fast Times at the Lunch Line.))

There he'd been, playing around with his Kiriyama family brethren at the back of the bus like always, until the festivities quieted down at around the ungodly hour of ten o'clock at night. Sho Tsukioka never went to bed, as a rule, before midnight: now that he was eighteen he had a habit of slinking down, in his usual way, to the wild nightlife of his father's bar. He was big and muscular and could pass for a college student; no one was the wiser. He'd seen all sorts of men — big burly ones clad in leather, small lithe ones wearing cotton, a willowy mathematics professor with dry leafy hair, a rich private-school boy who kept checking over his shoulder like he was doing something illegal, a muscular man who always brought flowers with him. None were alike, save for two common traits: their boundless love for their fellow man, and the look on their faces that told Sho they were well and truly free to be themselves.

He understood that feeling the moment he'd laid eyes on it. The country he lived in was a chauvinist one, with a strong military and "men that were men", whatever nonsense that was. (What else would they be?) He could feel the judging gazes on him ever since he was in second grade, when he'd given his best friend Kenta a big box of Valentine's Day chocolate. Kenta never spoke to him after that. Sho's father told him Kenta's mom thought he was special, and Sho had brightened, until the silent treatment burned a Kenta-shaped hole in his heart. Why should a child be branded a freak for feelings as innocent as love? He had never understood. Sho came to identify those attitudes with the hard-heartedness of his country, one of their many idiosyncratic laws. Thou shalt not play rock music. Thou shalt not browse the Internet. And most of all, it seemed, thou shalt never love another man.

These days, Sho didn't care what people said when they looked at him. No one dared mock the Kiriyama family, not if they wanted to keep their teeth. He could attest to that. Once, he'd put a kid in the hospital. He wasn't violent by nature, but he'd started following the other boys around when he was in middle school, and that was the requirement. A symbiotic relationship of sorts. Lend us your strength, and we'll look the other way. Oh, he knew they knew. He also knew they were tough men with strict boundaries, and so he kept his flirting to the bare minimum. He contented himself with the occasional double entendre, a fleeting locker-room glance or two. There was a sense of guilt in it, as another man might feel after staring at Mitsuko's breasts, but never did Sho Tsukioka know genuine shame.

As a sleepy haze fell over the back of the bus, he let one muscular arm coil around Ryuhei's shoulder. That night, he dreamt of taking the Kiriyama family to his father's bar, and they danced and drank and smoked in the one place in the world a man could be free.

Sho awoke to what seemed like a second dream. Everything in the classroom, save the students, was ever-so-slightly off. His desk was a little older; his chair had a small crack in its plastic. Their old teacher — Hayashida-sensei the dragonfly — was gone, replaced by a jolly little man with girlishly long hair and a blatantly false name. The substitute was cute, Sho decided, and he flashed Sakamochi a sweet but flirty smile. Maybe they could go out for coffee after class...

There was a hitch, of course: weren't they supposed to be on the bus to Kyushu?

As the realization that something was very wrong finally hit him, he sat up bolt upright in his chair. Something hard and cold was digging into his neck.

"Sakamochi-sensei, you're into some weird shit," Sho muttered under his breath. It was the only way he knew to stave off the coming panic attack.
Olivia del Rio [ES11] is shooting her shot!
Olivia's Relationship Thread
Sandbox: 1
TV3: 123456789101112Endgame (1234)
[+] Upcoming characters
There doesn't seem to be anything here.
[+] Past characters
Raymond LaSalle [S025] was squirreled away to his doom.
Raymond's Relationship Thread
Memories: 1
Supers: 1234567

Sho Tsukioka [B14] gave love a bad name.
Memories: 1
Battle Royale: 123456

Return to “School (G7) [Forbidden]”