See You At The Crossroads

New Battle Royale AU Endgame

North of the residential area, at the foot of the northern peak, a grove of tangerine trees grows. Unlike the forest that blankets much of the island, the trees here are in neat rows, and fruit may be found on them. This also means that wildlife is especially abundant here, as birds come for the fruit, and feral cats come for the birds.

Moderator: BRAU2 Director

Aura

See You At The Crossroads

Post by Aura »

(Hirono Shimizu continued from the pros and cons of digging your own grave)

Hirono and Motobuchi had taken to sheltering themselves under a particularly large tree. It may not have been the best cover that they could get, but at the very least, it was nice and shady, which was probably the best that they could hope for. She wondered if it was a sick joke from stupid-ass Sakamochi to have the game end in a place that was basically nothing but trees.

She was checking in with Motobuchi on the regular, seeing if his hand was making any progress towards being any less fucked-up. Truth be told, she wasn't sure what kind of chance he had with it. If her binding wasn't good enough, he might still bleed out. Hell, even with the binding, there was no telling if he was going to get some kind of infection, or if he already had one for that matter.

She wouldn't admit it, but she had wondered if it would have been kinder to off him herself, so he wouldn't have to suffer. She was pretty sure he couldn't fight in his condition, and there was no telling what would happen if someone more dedicated to playing Sakamochi's game came on the scene. But even if she imagined the quickest, cleanest way that she could do it, she couldn't even come close to bringing her knife to Motobuchi's neck.

Why? Because Motobuchi fucking deserved to live. Hell, most of them did, but they didn't get that chance. Hell if she was gonna make the republic an even worse place by taking out one of the only decent guys there. Unless it came down to just the two of them, she wasn't killing him. She knew that for sure.

"Yo Motobuchi. How you holding up?" She took a knee next to him, paying special attention to his bloodied hand. "No sign of anyone yet. You think they killed each other and we're the last two?"

On second thought, maybe black comedy wasn't the best approach right now. Damn her inappropriate wit.
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

((Kyoichi Motobuchi continued from the pros and cons of digging your own grave))

The end was near. Definitely for Kyoichi, possibly for Shimizu as well. The anticipation of it was undiluted agony, far worse than the injuries he'd suffered. Every errant sound in the orchard made him start, and no matter what he did, he simply couldn't calm down. Death had always felt inevitable, and he'd brushed against it a few times, but now it loomed far larger than ever before. As awful as their arrival would be, he was aching for them to finally show themselves. Better to rip the bandaid off and all that.

The two of them were huddled together behind one of the largest trees; it was all that passed for cover around here. Inada's holy bow was firmly gripped in his undamaged hand, his knuckles white from how tight his hold on it was. There hadn't been much small talk between him and Shimizu, but she had repeatedly fussed over him and his mangled hand. It was an undeniably sweet gesture, though truthfully he didn't see the point in worrying over it anymore. The likelihood that it'd kill him before the other students did was slim.

To Shimizu's joke - or was it a vain hope? - he offered a weak half-smile.

"Far too good a hope to count on."

He returned to looking out over the orchard, a scowl reforming to replace the grin.

"... I wish they'd just fucking show up already."
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Slam

Post by Slam »

((Yuichiro Takiguchi continued from End of Innocentia))

Yuichiro walked through the orchard, branches and debris slowly breaking underfoot with each step. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch.

Niida-san's uzi was still slung over his shoulder, and Tendou-san's pistol sat in his pocket. Both were loaded. His own revolver, alongside Oki-san's broken gun, sat in his bag. Carrying it all had become truly exhausting, but he couldn't rest yet.

Tadakatsu's severed hand sat in his other pocket. Yuichiro hadn't taken it out since the incident not long ago, but he still kept his own fingers on it, the cold flesh as comforting as the soft fur of a teddy bear.

He looked around, but not out of caution. Caution was for people who wanted to survive. Deserved to survive. Yuichiro was only here, herded into the orchard like livestock into the slaughterhouse, to finish his job.

He had to save the last of classmates.
Second Chances 3
Lucas Brady - Ultra-Premium Grade - 1

Nu-BRAU
B13: Yuichiro Takiguchi - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11

SOTF: Supers
S028: Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] pregame
Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

((Chisato Matsui continued from The Worst Game In History))

Only three more.

Chisato was keeping quiet as she was hidden near some trees behind some bushes, and she was being careful to not make any unnecessary sounds. She knew that she would have to make a move of her own soon. She could just try to gun down everyone without any hesitation. But that would be too reckless of her to do. She needed to find the right time and moment. She couldn't just throw caution to the wind. Not when she was so close to her freedom. She needed to live on, even if it meant getting rid of just three more people.

She let out a quiet, shaky exhale of breath.

She would just need to wait. Just for a while more.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hirono sighed. She couldn't really do much to lift Motobuchi's mood, and she couldn't really blame him for not being super receptive. They were still stuck on Sakamochi's death island, and Motobuchi had it worse since he was missing half a hand. Poor bastard was probably in way worse pain than she could imagine. She kneels next to him with a sympathetic look on her face.

"Yeah, when this shit is all over..." Her voice trails off not long before she starts, as it doesn't take long for her to remember that they wouldn't be making it off that island together, not unless some miracle happened within the next hour or something. Hell, they probably had even less time than that by this point. Their chances of walking out of there were better and worse at the same time as the game dwindled down.

She recovered her voice. "You can get that fixed by a real doctor." She said, pointing at Motobuchi's hand. "Maybe get a replacement or something."
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Kyoichi breathed long and deep, still looking away from her. He'd heard what she meant loud and clear.

"I think we both know that isn't happening, right?"

For his part, there could be no veiled words and hidden meanings. He needed her to know what he had to do, to understand it, to accept it. It was the only way to make it bearable.

"Y'know, only one person makes it out and all that..."

He turned to her, eyes sad, almost apologetic.

"... and I'm gonna do my damndest to make sure that's you."
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Slam

Post by Slam »

What was he going to do when he found his friends? He had to save them, of course, but how was he going to do it?

Niida-san’s uzi had worked so far, but not as well as he’d wanted. Hoped. He had failed Shimizu-san, after all. Since she was still alive, he’d have to apologise when he saw her. But if he did that, he’d have to admit what he’d done. He knew it was for the best, but how could he tell her that he’d- what he'd had to do to save their friend? How could he tell her that she was going to be at peace soon too?

What a coward he was.

Yuichiro wished he could remember who else was still alive, but there had been so many people to keep track of. If he was smarter, he probably could, but he wasn’t. If he was smarter, maybe it wouldn’t have had to come down to this in the first place. He really wished he’d paid more attention in school. Sorry, everyone.

He stopped in his path, exhaling through his nose. His heart thumped in his chest. How much of it was from carrying the guns for so long, and how much from the imminence of the situation, was impossible to tell.
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame
Aura

Post by Aura »

"Yeah..." Hirono begrudgingly agreed with Motobuchi's statement. She really wanted to believe that some scheme could still break them out, but they were basically out of options. The danger zones had closed in around them, Motobuchi was hurt, and the other surviving players were on their way. Only one of them was making it out, tops. And that meant that she had to ponder that scary question of what happens if only the two of them are left.

But to her surprise, it sounded like Motobuchi had been thinking about that same thing too. Even so, that didn't do much to dilute her surprise when he told her that he wanted her to be the winner. Speechless, she could only look back at him for a few moments before she found her voice again.

"Wait, wait..." She said, trying to make sure that she had heard him right. "You want me to win?" Like, you want me to be the one getting out of here? Not you?" Her voice made it clear that she couldn't believe what she just heard.
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

He nodded.

"I do."

He bit his lip, casting his eyes down, away from her. It was hard enough to admit this all, but looking at her as he did so might make it impossible.

"Truth is... I don't wanna go home. Not alone, without you, or Inada, or... Sho."

A shudder racked his body; perhaps a sob, smothered in its efforts to escape. It didn't matter. He wasn't done yet.

"All that's waiting for me at home is a dull, bleak future as a government tool; a dreary life I've been shaped and beaten into by my father. And before all this, I thought I wanted it, but now..."

He cleared his throat, finally meeting her gaze again. His eyes were still sad, but a glint of determination had formed behind them.

"... but you, you have options. You have a freedom open to you that I never really did. So... yeah, I think this is best."
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Aura

Post by Aura »

"M-Motobuchi... shit..."

Hirono was fully caught off guard by Motobuchi's admission. She knew that it happened in movies and stories, but she never thought that she'd see someone fully willing to die for someone else, least of all if that person was her. And the fucked-up part was that she wasn't sure she could accept that.

"Motobuchi... I appreciate it, but I might have the least future of anyone here." She admits the doubts that had been stirring inside her for days. "My parents don't want me around, all of my friends are dead, Hayashida's dead, and if I make it out, you'll be dead too." She says, not sounding happy about that prospect. "Hell, I'm not even sure I was gonna be able to graduate this year. For all I know, I'll be on the streets as soon as I get home."

Hirono closes her eyes for a moment and shakes her head, her self-doubt coming to a head after all that she's seen. "Like, I just think about it. Everyone who's died, they all had families, friends, people who cared about them. They had futures and shit, things to go home to. What makes me more deserving than them?"
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

"Shimizu..."

Kyoichi shook his head. He'd expected the resistance, though he'd hoped maybe she'd accept it immediately. What he hadn't expected was such a well of self-loathing, such a refusal to take this kindness, such an intense belief she didn't deserve it. But there could be no changing his mind on this front; he'd come to this conclusion hours ago, with Inada's death and his failure to deactivate the collars. She was just gonna have to accept it, one way or another, and he'd just have to hope she wouldn't be stubborn about it.

"I'm afraid my mind's already made up. It's my life, to do with as I please. And right now, this is what I want to do with it."

He tilted his head, the faint smile returning to his lips.

"And I don't buy that shit you're saying about yourself. I think you're worth way more than you know."
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hirono really didn't want to see Motobuchi die. She's only known him for a couple of days. Well, to be more accurate, she'd known him since they started high school, but she'd only really known him for maybe 48 hours at best. That was enough to convince her that he was a good guy, though. She'd seen enough people die, and she didn't want another good guy added to that tally.

But the guy made up his mind, he said it himself. And she had to admit, with his hand fucked up the way it was, she wasn't positive about his chances of making it out in the first place. It kinda made her feel dirty, but if Motobuchi was sure about his decision, she didn't have any choice but to accept.

"I mean... if you're really sure about this. Because I wanna live, I'm not gonna lie."

Awkward silence. Something about this island just kept breaking up her train of thought, she supposed.

"I mean... you're a good guy, Motobuchi. Better than most of the ones I'd met." The best thing about that statement was that it was true. True, it wasn't much of a high bar to clear, but Motobuchi cleared it with ease. "If there's anything you want me to do on the outside, anyone you want me to talk to or some shit, I'll do it, okay? I at least owe you that much."
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

And that was that. His heart could rest a little easier now. If he was honest, he was terrified of dying; he was no less frightened now than he was the first night they were here. He'd put on a brave face about it, but now that she'd accepted how things were, perhaps he could let the mask slip a little. Maybe it made him weak, being unable to face it like a man, but he'd never been a particularly resilient sort anyway.

"I..."

A weight seemed to press down on his chest. A terrible ache formed in his stomach. It was an ache of ancient hurt, something he'd only just now learned to express.

"... I-I don't really have anyone for you to visit. My f-father... you don't need to meet him. H-He never really loved me..."

Tears welled in his eyes and spilled over his cheeks. A betrayal of his resolve, but also a release, a way out for this pain he'd locked inside himself. If he didn't shed them now, he would never get to again.

"... and I-I don't have any f-friends or any o-other f-f-family..."

He stopped himself with a sharp, pained intake of air. He put Vijaya down, gently wiping away the tears before more could threaten to form. He was still certain of what he wanted, but this display likely made him look far more conflicted about it than he really was. He was set on this course, but he couldn't let Shimizu waver on it.

"Just..."

His eyes met hers again. In truth, there was still something Shimizu could do for him once she was out.

"Just r-remember me. Okay?"
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Aura

Post by Aura »

"Shit, Motobuchi..."

Hirono really felt for the guy. She figured that with him being one of the brains of the class, he probably had it pretty easy. Top of the class, probably in line to go to a good school, get a good job, and wind up with a comfy, cushy life like most of those corporate types. She didn't think that he might not have had such a charmed life behind the scenes. She felt like she could relate to him even more now. Hell, she could tell all kinds of stories about her fucked-up relationship with her parents if she had more time. Unfortunately, they didn't have that luxury, so she had to offer the only comfort she could.

"I promise." She said with a nod and a hand on his shoulder. "I'm not gonna forget you, Kyoichi."

She hadn't referred to any of her classmates aside from Mitsuko or Yoshimi by their first names before, but Motobuchi had earned it as far as she was concerned.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Yuichiro stopped mid-step. He had heard voices. Recognised at least one of them.

Shimizu-san was nearby. There was what sounded like a boy with her, but not one he spoke to regularly. They didn’t sound like they were fighting. He wasn’t surprised by that, because Shimizu-san was a kind person, after all.

He wondered what to do. He probably should’ve crept up on them, caught them off guard and saved them before they knew what was going on. He knew he needed to apologise to Shimizu-san, but that was scary. She would probably hate him for what happened to Inada-san, and she would be right to do so. Better to let her be saved while she’s having what sounded like a nice conversation.

But he was selfish. He knew there weren’t many of his friends left, and he hadn’t gotten to talk to anyone except for Katsu-kun in a while. Katsu-kun wasn’t much of a talker, either, which was nothing unusual. He always did have that stoic demeanour, after all. He himself was selfish, and he wanted to talk to somebody before there wasn’t anyone left.

So he decided he would talk to them, for better or worse. He opened his mouth, but his words caught. He gripped the strap that Niida-san’s uzi hung from, inhaled, and tried again.

“Hello? Shimizu-san, is that you?”

The words came out loud, his voice taking an unintended volume and cracking in the middle. It was a nerves thing.
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame

Return to “Orchard (E8)”