The Best Of Yours & The Worst Of Mine: A Yugistream Thread

nominate games for me to play and talk about here!

This board exists to allow discussion of topics which do not pertain directly to Mini but are of interest to the community. This is the place to share musings on media, to introduce yourself, to hang out, etc. This board is visible only to registered and logged-in members for privacy reasons.
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

i s o l a t i o n (2013):
Developed by: BLUEDRIFT Games
Played Before? Watched a playthrough.

Having played some really inventive and cool RPGMaker games, it’s fascinating to look at the other side of the coin and look at games where the developers… don’t quite know what they're doing. Take I S O L A T I O N, for example, a game where you must solve puzzles to escape your house, where the core conceit of gameplay is… checking the hundreds of closets in your mansion and hoping that Jeff the Killer isn’t hiding in them. There’s no indication or hints towards which closets have items and which closets have instant game overs: you have to check each closet manually, reload after every game over, all in hopes that the room you’re in actually has something useful in the closets. There are also some other incredible bits of game design: the game, for some reason tries to fake that it has a loading screen… but actually the game is just waiting around and doing nothing for about ~15 seconds. Sometimes you’ll be trapped inside a room after you enter it, or unable to progress to an item on the floor: not because of a locked door in your way, or anything, but because your Victorian manor has suddenly spawned boulders which you need to find a way to break. I was having a good time, despite the lack of quality, up until… in a room where you must find one particular painting out of a total of 48 (lest Jeff The Killer somehow be hiding inside the painting), you must also make sure to lock the door behind you before you select the correct painting… something you cannot do, because the developer somehow managed to delete the event that allows you to lock the door, thus making the game unbeatable. A bit of a shame — I’m not a fan of having to leave something uncompleted — but, uh, given the game as a whole beforehand, maybe having this one glitch out and be unbeatable isn’t that much of a bad thing.
My Dear Brother Jeff (2013):
Developed by: Psyche Studios
Original Position: 46/47

My Dear Brother Jeff follows Liu, a very studious and devoted son, who one day is told by his parents that he really has a brother, and that his name is… “Jeffrey Dahmer.” No relation to any persons living or dead, of course: this is a Jeff the Killer RPGMaker fangame, after all. Jeff goes to the hospital to try and meet his brother for the first time, a magical fire, channelled by the Star of David, allows for Jeffrey Dahmer’s escape, and for him to then later come home and try to kill Liu’s family. What follows is a perpetual chase: one where you have to solve poorly communicated item/key puzzles, where the geography of the area will often trap you in a corner or give you no actual way of dodging Jeff, and where sometimes if you save in the wrong place you’ll load to Jeff instantly killing you. Everything is so dark that it’s really hard to know where and what you can do: something that doesn’t stop even when the endless chase does. There’s this one section where you escape your house by going through a network of tunnels that Jeffrey Dahmer apparently dug under your house and it’s impossible to see anything and it's the worst. At least none of that is present for the game’s final act. And, to its… credit, maybe, the game has a decently evocative artstyle (for better or worse) and the writing at least here seems more like a bad translation job. As far as these Jeff the Killer games go, this probably at least has the most going for it. Which is a low bar, but still. I have to take the positives where I can here. 2/10.

Of note: before now, this game in English (and its original French) was lost media for a really good period of time, after the developer uploaded a 2.0 in Spanish, deleted the originals, and then promised versions in other languages that never came. Luckily, I happen to have a friend who’s very gifted at internet sleuthing, and with some luck he managed to bring both versions of the game back from the dead. Here (English) they (French) are, if you’re interested! I’d recommend you play it yourself, or, uh, watch one of the many YouTube playthroughs that went up circa 2014. It’s really the kind of thing you have to see with your own eyes.
O B S E S S I O N (2013):
Developed by: BLUEDRIFT Games
Original Position: 47/48

The most competent of the four Jeff The Killer games I played. By that merit, it’s also the least interesting. This is a sequel to I S O L A T I O N, and is… at least completable, this time? There’s not as many closets you have to look through, but that doesn’t mean the level design hasn’t stopped being “either pick the arbitrarily correct option or get instakill jumpscared” — it’s just now that instead of closets it’s two branching paths, different rooms, etc. In general this one doesn’t feel particularly notable: while the beginning conversation with “Lile” and her parents is entertaining, most of the dialogue afterwards just describes things in the room, the story itself taking a backseat right until you choose an ending by picking a random door. Some of the more… ‘notable’ beats feel directly copied from the previous game. Puzzle design is frustrating: there's no real indication of where to go, how to follow up on something you just did, or even what doors/rooms actually mean anything and which are set dressing. It’s more competently made, that’s for sure — no softlocks, no weird broken mechanics that make the game much harder than it should be — but… given that it’s not particularly noteworthy or amazing otherwise, I can’t really say that’s to its benefit. 2/10.
[+] The Present
Image Image

SC3:
???: Jeremy Frasier — "..." — 0%
PREGAME — Past: | Present:
THEME: Jim's Big Ego — Stress

B02: Maxwell Lombardi — “Then I'll beat them again. Simple as that.” — 100%/0%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: SPAS-12 Shotgun, Trident, Colt .357 King Cobra, Meat Cleaver
SCDos — |
SCTres —
THEME: Eminem — The Way I Am
[+] The Past
ImageImageImage Image Image

BRAU2:
B11: Hiroki Sugimura — "Listen, Kayoko, I lov-” — 10%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Shamisen
BRAU2 —

INTL:
O07: Jaxon Chen (Adopted from Tapey!) — "You- started- this-" — 55%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Poison Ivy Gloves, Smoke Bomb, Crutch
INTL —

PV3:
F01: Michelle White — "Because if you can forgive me, then… then maybe I can try to forgive myself. Amen." — 68%
Kills: 1 | Equipped with: Ghille Suit, Combat Knife w/ Sniper Scope, Speargun
SANDBOX — Past: N/A | Present:
PV3 —
THEME: Tommy Körberg — Anthem

Supers:
S034: Isabella Lugosi — "Stay. Away. Stay- away-" — 32%
Kills: 1 | Equipped with: Phenomena
Supers — Memories: N/A | Game: 𓆦 𓆦 𓆦 𓆦 𓆦 𓆦 𓆦 𓆦
THEME: John Carpenter — From The Fire

TV2:
SP5: Michael Robinson (Adopted from Polybius!) — "Oh shit." — 77%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Large Fishing Net
SANDBOX: N/A
TV2 — 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

TV3:
BC08: Marion Rosales — "Doesn't- matter if it works or not. You get- a chance to try." — 27%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Decorative Mareon Rosalales Nameplate
SANDBOX — Past: | Present: | 𓅓
TV3 — 𓅓
THEME: Dessa — Ride

SS01: Verity Stewart — "Fucking owned-" — 98%
Kills: 6 | Equipped with: Heckler & Koch P11, Harpoon
SANDBOX — Past: | Present:
TV3 —
THEME: Those Poor Bastards — Crooked Man

SC2:
G25: Jasmine King — "I win." — 32%
Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Colt Single Action Army, Hunga Munga
SCDos —
THEME: QZ Productions — My Mistress' Will
[+] Beyond

PV3 Prologue:
M35: Buddy Underwood — "So... what, we creatin' some kinda Dogtown?" — 62%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Sledgehammer
BEFORE — Past: N/A | Present: N/A
PV3 Prologue — 1 2 3 4 5
THEME — ???
[+] The Future
ImageImage

Waldo Woodrow — The Best Friend — "Yo! Bro! Check out this shark I caught!"
Warion Roux — The Bumblebee — "Homme qui regarde même les signatures en notre année 2022?"
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

GO TO SLEEP (2014):
Developed by: TalalDev
Original Position: 1/1
Played Before? Nope.

Hello, it is me, the proxy player for GO TO SLEEP. I was called in to handle this game because it warns you right off the bat that it is not for the faint of heart or the ill of health, and our usual chaperone through these perilous waters suffers from hayfever and was thus unable to continue.

In some ways, I'm the perfect audience for this game. I've played quite a bit of janky RPGMaker stuff of extremely questionable quality (and even worked on a bit of my own), and I hold an affection towards the engine, limitations and all. On the other hand, I'm probably not quite the target demographic, in that I was already in my twenties when Jeff The Killer hit the scene, thought he sounded goofy from the outset, and mostly think he looks sort of like the cover to Mogwai's classic post-rock album Come On Die Young. This is to say, Jeff The Killer is not automatically scary to me just by virtue of being Jeff The Killer, and GO TO SLEEP definitely assumes that he is.

GO TO SLEEP tells the story of a young female detective dispatched to a crumbling mansion to investigate a series of brutal murders. For some reason, detectives are sent in one at a time, and never come back. There's a brief glimmer of potential that this is a plot element—are we being set up for some reason?—but actually it's just an excuse for why we play a single character in a horror setup.

What follows in one part solving puzzles (mostly consisting of finding where you're supposed to be or what item you're supposed to use, special shout out to the two instances where you have to smelt) to one part getting chased around by the killer (who turns out to be Jeff). Unfortunately, the balance of these elements leaves something to be desired. The game is very particular about what order you do things in, herding you around with locked doors while the detective refuses to interact with elements before their proper time. This makes the lead-up to the actual first meeting with Jeff quite lengthy and often counter-intuitive, and the finicky nature of it all prevents tension from really building.

Once Jeff does enter the picture, he regularly pops in to chase the player around, sometimes at set moments and other times at random. Unfortunately, the only way to shake Jeff is to hide in closets, and there are only three of those in the game, one of which is accessible only very late on. Jeff's encounter rate is pretty high, and when he randomly appears on a map he almost always does so from in front of the player. This means that the core gameplay loop is being sent from one side of the house to another, getting halfway there, then getting chased all the way back by Jeff. Rinse and repeat until you get lucky with RNG and he doesn't turn up.

Since the hiding places are so limited, and Jeff's spawn points are so consistent, once you get the hang of juking him there's no real challenge to it, just tedious repetition. But there's also no incentive to play more daring and try to get around him or anything, as saving is also limited to a handful of points. This is likely in theory to prevent the player from soft-locking by saving next to Jeff, but that can absolutely still happen. Oh, and RPGMaker is not a platform that's especially kind to split-second, precision mechanics, so sometimes you'll die because you missed a room's exit tile by one square and Jeff's almost as fast as you are. There are also a couple maps that cause massive system chug for no clear reason, which leads me to suspect that something's not quite right under the hood.

Then there's the tone. The game is a mix of stock assets, the famous Jeff The Killer image (and a sprite for Jeff that looks kind of like Ryuk from Death Note), and a character portrait for the detective straight out of DeviantArt circa 2006. The text is all over the place, full of typos and digressions, and Jeff is treated both as a major menace and occasionally as an oddly sympathetic—or, dare I say, romantic—figure. This mishmash isn't especially effective. Sometimes it's funny, though probably not intentionally. Sometimes it's pretty charming, just by dint of its sincerity. But mostly, it falls flat due to its sparse nature contrasted with the repetitive gameplay.

Would I recommend playing this game? If you find RPGMaker jank interesting, and can get through the slog of the opening (perhaps with a walkthrough), you could do worse. It's short, it's mostly kind of funny, and it's very sincere about the thing it's doing. But you probably don't have to play it all the way through (though the secret ending is something to be seen), and you're not really missing anything if you skip this either—there are a whole bunch of other games doing the same thing but more competently or funnier.

I don't really do numerical ratings, but as a guest here I'll go ahead just this once and follow Yugi's lead by bestowing a 2/10.
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
Wham Yubeesling

Fatal Frame (2001):
Developed by: Tecmo
Original Position: look I have so many games here I’m just gonna count them all later
Played Before? No.

One rather noticeable thing about the first Fatal Frame is that its localization... has issues, at least from my perspective. It’s immediately evident, whether it’s how every single voice actor sounds like they’ve overdosed on cold medicine and really could be doing more important things right now, or the subtle grammar errors — tense, plural conflicts, that thing thing in optical illusions where the last word of one line is repeated as the first word of the next line except that here, here, apparently, it's done completely unknowingly. A friend informed me before I started playing that I’d absolutely need a walkthrough, and while at first I chalked that up to general survival horror esotericness, soon upon starting the game I happened to stumble across a puzzle that was… completely untranslated. I was meant to press four out of ten buttons, on a circular structure, with an epitaph telling me to look at a note I’d collected which had a bunch of numbers highlighted in red. Presuming, maybe, that this was some sort of clock (albeit, one which used specific kanji for the numbers I’d never seen before) I tried to input the numbers roughly where they’d be on a Western clock, only for that to be incorrect. I decided that maybe this was why I was meant to have a walkthrough, looked the answer up, only to find that… I was correct. It was a clock. The buttons on the interface did represent numbers. I just happened to lack the cultural context to know that this specific clock… ran anticlockwise. Something that might have been much easier to figure out had any of the elements of the puzzle itself been translated.

If I were to hazard a guess as to why the localization effort turned out the way it did, I’d say… it’s because Fatal Frame leans far more into Japanese culture and folklore than any of its contemporaries. While most survival horror games up to this point — Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Parasite Eve, among others — primarily took inspiration from Western horror movies, and to evoke this were usually set in some facsimile of the USA, Fatal Frame goes for… something loosely opposite. Rather than taking from the West, Fatal Frame draws from within, and as opposed to looking at at-the-time contemporary media — though the late 90s/early 2000s boom in J-Horror could’ve played a part — the game draws from local myth and folklore: specifically, the idea of the yūrei, figures analogous but not quite the same as the western idea of ghosts. Given all that, it can be seen that Fatal Frame is not quite equivalent to its brethren, and to approach it with the same treatment as something more naturally Western is a recipe for losing something in translation. And with glaring issues like the untranslated puzzles, and with stuff like, say, the kagome dolls which require cultural context to understand their implementation in-game, it makes other issues — such as the tense conflicts, or the voice acting — not quite as able to blend in as they might’ve for, say, the first Resident Evil. I’d like to note, for the record, that this doesn’t necessarily impact my feelings on the game itself (perhaps, if I really wanted the true Fatal Frame experience I should’ve not dropped out of doing Japanese at school while I was in the middle of a downward spiral), it’s just a case where unless you happen to know the language or have the cultural context you are going to need a walkthrough to understand this game, even beyond some of the usual survival horror trappings.

You play, primarily, as a young girl named Miku Hinasaki, whose brother disappears while searching for his teacher inside the supposedly haunted Himuro Mansion. As her search to find him takes her inside the mansion, she finds that all the ghost stories she’s heard are real: the mansion is littered with yūrei of varying levels of hostility, and only through the use of the Camera Obscura — an antique polaroid camera passed down through Miku’s family — does she have a chance at fighting back against those with more hostile intentions. As she delves deeper, upgrading her camera, accessing new parts of the mansion, collecting recordings and writings of those left behind, it soon becomes clear that your role here extends far past finding your brother and his teacher. A curse has infected the Himuro Mansion for generations, haunting, killing, and assimilating all who enter it, and as you delve further and further into the past, it soon starts to become clear that all this circles around a failed ritual, and the spirit of the woman who was meant to perform it: a spirit who, soon enough, proceeds to place their eyes on you.

I think what I’d particularly like to praise is just how incredible this game is at atmosphere. There are just so many little things that come together and really make it shine as a horror experience. I love the way the plot unfolds: how it initially begins with the plot thread of finding your brother and meeting the people he was trying to look for, before each subsequent chapter unfurls back, generation by generation, coming up against everybody laid victim by the curse until you eventually manage to reach its source. I like a lot of the artstyle, both in terms of helping the game feel smooth to play — how it handles you needing to light up dark areas without it feeling like a low-saturation hellscape, how subtle the fog is at walling off/impeding visibility past a certain point, how (for being translucent) immediately noticeable the ghosts are against the background — and also stylistically: the monochrome colour scheme when you’re looking into the past and the curse is about to take somebody feels so distinct, and also feeds into a couple of particular plot details in a way that feels pretty clever. While I did mention the voice acting as a negative during my preamble, it’s really effective coming out of the many enemies you fight: the monotone, slightly distorted delivery does a lot to show the otherworldly, not-quite-human-anymore nature of the spirits you face. I love the way the mansion changes between chapters: how certain doors lock and unlock, how some areas restock or get new items, how encounters shift to different locations: you’ll be going through the same general areas for the whole game, but the context for why you do so, and the purposes of each room can change radically between chapters which makes it feel like a whole new map each time. I’ve mentioned before how oftentimes it’s all the little things working in tandem that can really tie a horror game together, and I think Fatal Frame is a standout example on that front: all these tidbits which are fairly neat on their own really do their job to coalesce and create something special.

What differentiates Fatal Frame most from its survival horror contemporaries — aside from its set dressing of Japanese folklore — is its combat system. As opposed to being some sort of experienced fighter, using conventional weaponry to take down physical foes, Miku’s foes are much less tangible, and only through perceiving and documenting them with the Camera Obscura can you dispel them: eventually, with the goal of exorcizing them entirely. You do this via controlling the camera in first person (as opposed to the third person fixed camera movement of the rest of the game), and, upon locating your ghost, keeping your focus on them to build up spiritual power until eventually snapping a picture of them, doing increasing damage based on the type of camera roll/ammo you use and how long you were able to charge up for. There are various ‘special’ types of shot that reward special circumstances — such as taking a photo of multiple enemies at once, taking a photo when they're as close as possible to the camera, and, most importantly, taking a photo of an enemy right as they attack you — by multiplying damage and briefly stunning the enemy, heavily encouraging patience and fishing for the perfect shot.

However, enemies also become more complicated over time, and often engage in tactics primarily built to make you lose track of where they are: teleporting, cloning themselves, and phasing into walls and the floor both to try and protect themselves and sneak up on you. There are different types of enemies, who all react differently to your camera, and it characterizes the core conceit of the gameplay fairly well, going up against the spirit of the same person throughout their many haunts until you’re finally able to exorcize them for good. It also helps to create rather frenetic moments as you progress through the game: where you as the player scurry around the room to try and find the enemy that just disappeared, and where positioning is vitally important, both to get a wide, open range so that enemies don’t get too far out of sight, and to make sure nothing can sneak up where you won’t be able to see them. I love combat systems that manage to become more complex over time without adding extra mechanics to the core system, and for the most part, Fatal Frame is able to hit a sweet spot where combat feels tense without actively feeling adverse to play.

(I also really liked the incidental non-hostile ghosts: the ones you specifically need to listen to cues to find, or the ones you have to snap a picture of fast before they disappear forever. While some of them seem especially “you have to know in advance when and where these guys are going to pop up,” in a way that encourages replaying the game or buying a guide, it’s a cute little extra thing that you can do throughout the game and does a lot to characterize the mansion and the curse infecting it: showing just how many people have fallen victim and become trapped inside the mansion forever)

I say “for the most part,” because unfortunately, past a certain point, the game really starts feeling adverse to play, particularly in terms of combat. Ghosts really start leaning on teleporting the moment you so much as move the camera in their direction, which makes combat this frustrating dance of just trying to find the enemy in hopes that maybe this time you can actually do some damage to them. This’d be maybe fine, in moderation, and if there was at least some variance it’d be more bearable, but from chapter 3 onwards the game is basically nothing but constant encounters with the same annoying enemies and it’s a sloooooooog. It also plays badly with a lot of your resource management: you have to make do with taking low-damage pictures to enemies, which means you have to take a lot of them to actually put an opponent down, all the while one hit from them takes nearly half your health bar. This means you have to scrounge around the mansion, hoping the game will drop you stuff you actually need instead of fuel for special skills you don’t use… but also if you dare walk off the beaten path you get punished with combat with a special ghost who embodies everything that makes combat really intolerable at this point, and who will almost certainly hit you before you leave the room (because for some reason Miku never really feels that much of a need to, say, get through a door fast when there's something chasing her), necessitating save scumming or even more scrounging. It’s miserable, especially since this combat happens in lieu of any other mode of progression. No more puzzles, no more trying to find new parts of the mansion: everything after this point is just the same combat encounters over and over again.

At the very least, though, most of what else I found compelling remained as such even when the direct gameplay took a nosedive: the slowly unfolding history of the Himuro Mansion, the immaculate atmosphere and artstyle that made simply traversing the mansion an enjoyable experience when I wasn’t getting nothin’ personnelled by a ghost monk, and my attempts to get snapshots of as many of the incidental ghosts as I could. Even if the at-first unique combat system eventually loses its sense of where on the line it falls between exciting and frustrating, nearly everything else really holds up, and, if not quite picture perfect, isn't washed out at all, even with all the things that work against it. 8/10.

Afterfall: Insanity (2011):
Developed by: Intoxicate Studios
Played Before? Saw bits and pieces of a playthrough, but otherwise no.

Bad games are a whole lot better so long as the gameplay is bearable. That sounds… like a bit of an obvious statement, I know, but there’s a fairly core difference between, say, combat that’s kind of broken and/or mindless and combat that’s just brutal and awful and a slog. Even if they’re otherwise comparable, even if I otherwise wouldn’t call the gameplay good, I still feel like a lot of what defines my feelings is ‘how fun is this to play?’ It’s not the be-all-end-all, of course — if something is very obviously more of a narrative experience I’m not gonna be like ‘but where’s the part where i shoot the enemy combatants...’ — but even if I like or even love a lot of the other moving parts my overall feelings can be absolutely tanked if the part of the experience I’m directly controlling feels painful to interface with. And sometimes, even when… nothing really works the way it should, having gameplay feel more like you’re going through the motions rather than slogging through whichever unintentional, awful challenge the developers cooked up can be the difference between disliking something and hating it.

What I’m saying is that Afterfall: InSanity is fairly abjectly not a good game. It’s at least, however, the type of not-good game where it's mostly just… mindless and unable to stand up against the player, as opposed to something where you’re fighting against it every step of the way. Which, after having gone through a good amount of games recently with absolutely awful combat, is refreshing! Even as entertaining as the other experiences were, I’m definitely happy to go through something like this. Sometimes it’s nice to not have to earn your victories.

The game takes place in an alternate universe from our own, where after Germany developed nukes, the resulting nuclear apocalypse resulted in… Poland, of all places, holding the last remnants of humanity in an underground bunker. Fast forward 90 years, and you play as Albert Tokaj, a psychologist, who after being sent on a routine mission to help some scientists finds that the shelter has been overrun by confinement syndrome, a contagious mental illness with zombie-like symptoms that also just… mutates you? and turns you into this weird fishman muscle freak thing? not sure of the definition there. Albert soon starts to find that a great conspiracy is afoot in the now-infested shelter, he must now figure out who is friend and foe as he fights through the shelter, up through the tunnels, and onto the ravaged world above, all the while pursuing the one who caused the syndrome to leak: a man of mysterious motives, who seemingly knows everything about Albert and who has big plans for him and if you can guess what the big plot twist is already then great job. It’s not subtle.

And I think the ‘plot’ — or, well, the game’s attempts at making this a deep psychological thriller — is by far the most entertaining thing about this. Not even the fact that this is attempting to be Fight Club but also you’re fighting weird fishman zombie things, but the dissonance of it all: you, as the player, spending five minutes travelling through a low saturation hallway, hacking up every monster that comes for you without hesitation, only for Albert to take out his PDA and insist that these are only people with mental health problems and how it’s so tragic that the mysterious saboteur released the contagious mental illness that also mutates your body. You beat down enemies by the horde and then the moment a cutscene all it takes is a guy waving his arm vaguely in your direction for your body to be splayed on the ground. There’s an early segment where you must flee the complex after being accused of crimes you insist you’re innocent of, and then the very first combat sequence has you grab a fire axe, chop both a guard’s arms off before smashing his head in. The plot doesn’t even need to be all that dissonant with the game to be absolutely wild, it manages to achieve that on its own. From little things, like the goofy animations and a main voice actor who has trouble feeling any more than mild irritation to everything around him, to the big things, like just… how many twists and turns there, how many times seemingly important characters drop out of the plot while in the same breath trying to give reverence to characters/plot beats that don’t mean anything at all, and how little sense anything makes. There are these action setpieces that the game tries to let you play through and they’re amazing: all the animations look so slow and stilted, its attempts to be cool feel so comical, it’s great. The story’s great. Real so-bad-it’s-incredible vibes.

And, unlike most other games of that ilk, it’s at least bearable to play. Not good, certainly, but in a way that benefits the player than makes the experience frustrating and unbearable to go through. At the beginning of the game, when you get the combat tutorial, you’re told you can press the left mouse button to attack and the right mouse button to block. You never, ever actually need to block: you have enough health (and enough health regen) that most encounters can’t really whittle you down even if they land a hit, and it takes you being overwhelmed, without the resources to really fight back to actually die, in which case trying to block doesn’t really help your case. The core combat effectively comes down to walking up to enemies and attacking them hard and fast enough to hitstun them to death, and while most weapons are kinda pathetic and do nothing, the game is generous enough with the actually good weapons that you just constantly receive copies of them, almost as if it's compensating for a weapon durability system that isn’t there. What this basically means is that you have a gun or a fire axe, you can walk up to an enemy and slapfight them to death with rigid, clunky movesets and animations. It’s not good, by any means, but it’s at least a little fun in how mindless it is to unga bunga people to death.

It gets rouuuuuugh in the last stretch, though. The game decides that it’s going to be combat combat combat, instead of interspersing puzzles in-between, and also, for some reason, to really restrict the weapons and resources you get: melee weapons completely disappearing and ammo for your larger weapons becoming rather scarce. There now exists this new mechanic where Albert cannot step into direct sunlight without ghost bat harpies spawning en masse and swooping on you constantly, wasting your already scarce ammo because they’re hard to hit and completely disabling your health regeneration, as you’re still technically in combat while they do barely any damage to you and you don’t have the means to damage them. This meshes badly with how enemies now badly pack a punch, and dying often sends you super far back checkpoint-wise, forcing you to do the same sections over and over again just for a chance to make it past the one actually hard section fifteen minutes of gameplay in the future. The game also decides that it wants to do boss fights, and they’re even more clunky than regular combat is, combining a lot of the above factors with clunky mechanics and rather large health pools to create… not quite the big, memorable climactic setpiece that was intended. Quite the opposite, actually.

At least, though, it’s not quite a sheer drop from ‘bad but funny’ into ‘genuinely kind of awful’ as, say, an Alone in the Dark 2008: while it’s certainly rougher, and maybe doesn’t quite contain the same stupid charm the combat did initially, it never truly becomes a slog, and the story at least keeps up the entertainment value even if the last stretch of gameplay shows signs of falling apart. Ultimately, would I call Afterfall: InSanity a good ga- oh almost certainly not. It’s a mess and a half, not even counting how it can’t even be played anymore due to its unlicensed use of Unreal Engine, but as far as bad games go, it’s one of the ones that manages to provide an entertaining experience because of how silly it feels, and, as far as games like that goes, it’s at least a good deal easier and more… “fun” to play than quite a lot of its ilk. 3/10.

LIMBO (2010):
Developed by: Playdead
Played Before? Played, like, the first five minutes back in 2013, but otherwise no.

LIMBO starts with you playing as a small child wandering through a forest, braving the many horrors within in pursuit of a mysterious something. After playing the dev’s later effort, INSIDE, going through this game was… interesting, mostly in terms of what seems similar and what the dev team seemed to learn in the years succeeding. For a horror platformer, I wouldn’t really say there’s much of an atmosphere: as opposed to less tangible things sound or music design, most of what you encounter here is rather concrete, from the simple yet evocative enemy designs and the rather brutal death animations that manage to shine even if the monochrome, silhouetted artstyle does a bit more harm than good. Most interesting is how the game seems to draw a bit from masocore performers. You’re expected to die a lot, and generally not for fair reasons. From random traps in the ground, puzzles and mechanics you can only intuit in the heat of the moment, to points where you don’t know what exactly is going to happen, one thing is made clear: this world is cruel, and it’s mostly cruel for cruelty’s sake. It’s certainly… bleak — and there’s never any point of relative respite in the middle of it — but it does provide a… relatively unique thematic throughline, one that characterizes the game even in lack of a more abstract atmosphere. I wouldn’t necessarily say that I liked this as much as INSIDE, but as one of the first post-Braid-artsy-indie-puzzle-platformers, it’s fairly solid, and an interesting look at what the landscape of the early indie game boom was li- wait what do you mean there’s still two thirds of the game left to go?

LIMBO is a game that outstays its welcome. Before I played it, most of what I’d seen of it — most of the gameplay footage in YouTube videos mentioning the game, however brief — was content that was mostly in the first hour. I was under the impression that it mostly took place in the forest, that the giant spider you ran from was a threat that followed you throughout the game, and that finally managing to turn the tables on it represented the climax, the end of the game soon to follow. In one way, I was right: the game as I knew it did end, and the remaining two hours felt like something else entirely.

The ‘horror’ aspect of the game disappears almost completely — perhaps a consequence of how it was only held up by the more concrete aspects mentioned above: when those are gone, there’s nothing really there to keep the mood up, or really make the game feel like anything. While there’s the occasional bit of grotesque design, or a slightly gnarly death animation, it feels like the game drops a lot of whatever thematic material it had to become a more generic puzzle platformer where you push boxes onto switches to open the door forward. New mechanics are introduced, but it feels like none of them really interact with each other or the general setting: you just suddenly come across machines that change the direction gravity operates and oops that’s the core game mechanic now. The masocore elements still exist within the platforming and some of the puzzles — this is a game where you’re expected to die a lot — but it never feels particularly charming or meaningful. While other 'impossible' platformers of the time, such as I Wanna Be The Guy or Cat Mario, were often defined by having a sense of humour in how they chose to pull the rug under the player, intending to bait a reaction or at least let the player laugh with the game, LIMBO doesn't particularly treat your deaths with any gravitas: you fail, you wait through the wayyy long death animation, then you reload at the checkpoint. No real surprise, no real reaction other than 'okay, well, I'm dead now.' I guess ‘things are dark and bleak and also fuck you you die’ is at least a loose theme, but on its own, it doesn’t feel like enough. And without anything to really back it up beyond the direct game elements, it doesn’t feel like it coalesces into anything, just a loosely unpleasant undertone that forgot to leave with everything else the game had going for it.

Which is not to the game’s benefit, because rather than just becoming a rather standard puzzle platformer, it instead becomes a rather standard puzzle platformer which is really, really frustrating to play. This mostly comes down to what feels like a disconnect between these two separate things, where progress is determined by you figuring out all the moving pieces and solving the puzzle to find a way forward, while the masocore elements try to make that as obtuse and annoying as possible. It’s like having a jigsaw in front of you except your cat or your baby brother keeps taking pieces from you and hiding them around the house: you’re often missing something that’s the key to actually making progress, and the game makes a point at actively hiding that element from you. Say, a puzzle where it turns out you need a second box, when that second box is in a completely different area, past an enemy, in a place that does not seem like there’s anything there and in a game where you’ve never before this point had to go left instead of right.

Not to mention how tight and uncompromising a lot of the timings and solutions are. There’s a puzzle where you have to use a minecart to get onto a rail track, which you have to run across before the minecart presses a button that electrifies the ground below you. There is no wiggle room: you have to find the exact place on the slope to jump onto the minecart, both high enough on the slope so that you have enough time to run across the rail, but low enough that it doesn’t pick up speed and hit the button prematurely. The track is long enough that anything other than the exact sweet-spot means you don’t get there in time and you die. There’s no rubric to really tell where the exact place to put it is, whether a failure was because you put it too high or too low, you just have to brute force the puzzle, dying over and over again, until you somehow intuit or guess what you actually have to do. And after four or five puzzles beforehand that are exactly like that, it’s hard not to get sick of it.

Which, like, maybe that’s what the game intends. Maybe it’s meant to feel bleak and empty in a rather charmless way. Which, like, okay, sure, but that doesn’t then make it all that fun or interesting to interface with. Nor does it make what’s there… feel particularly deep or meaningful. Which is a shame, because the first hour still holds up. Even if it didn’t quite compare to INSIDE, it was a decently effective little platformer that worked well to blend horror with masocore elements to create something rather evocative. What follows feels much less interesting, much less purposeful, and something that I frankly got tired of playing long before I reached the end. 4/10.

Twelve Minutes (2021):
Developed by: Luis Antonio
Played Before? Oh I knew all about this but had not, in fact, actually played it before this point.

So something I occasionally like to do is look over query pitches for literary agent submissions, both to prepare myself for the day I eventually yeet myself into the slush pile, but particularly because a lot of the minutiae fascinates me. There are a lot of little does and don’ts that can make the difference between getting a rejection or a full submission: a lot of it, in particular, coming down to whether you know your target market and aren’t just some wannabe who doesn’t understand the field. Nowhere is this more evident in the space where you put your comparative titles — the books your book is most like. Generally, you want to make them something in your genre of choice released during the past five years, and also something not as well known. Conversely, doing things like comparing your work to a big book, something released far outside the last couple of years, or even comparing your title to a big-budget film are huge no-nos: all they do is show that you’re not quite well-versed in the genre you’re writing in, and potentially indicate to the agent that you think your work is more groundbreaking than it is. A good first impression can sell a work all by itself, and one of the worst first impressions you can give is that you’re just a genre tourist. You want to know your market, you want to know how your work fits in that market, and you want to show the agent just how well you know all of that while still fitting within the general bounds and structure of a query. It’s a tough balancing act, and it’s loosely fascinating to see where people tend to trip up, and just how tricky it can be to get everything right.

Anyway sorry about that preamble, I know sometimes I tend to go overboard with them, it’s something I’m trying to work on, let’s just get on with talking about the game and-

oh

oh

Twelve Minutes is a game where you play as a loving and devoted husband, who one day returns from work to have dinner with his equally loving and devoted wife. The evening goes off without a hitch, before a man claiming to be a police officer knocks on the door and demands you open up. Regardless of whether you let him in or he kicks the door down, he swiftly overpowers the both of you, demands of your wife to tell him where she hid ‘the pocket watch,’ then proceeds to shoot you in the head… sending you back to the beginning of the evening. It soon becomes clear that the husband is trapped in a time loop, and that not even staying alive can break you out. With no other options, you decide your only recourse is to find out why this is happening: using your foreknowledge of events to come to try and manipulate what occurs, all to find out why this cop is after the both of you, what the significance is of the pocket watch he’s asking for, and just what can happen within the space of twelve ten minutes.

I have to admit, it’s a fairly decent hook, and the first act of the game does a decent job of following it up. The apartment the game takes place in is small enough that everything you can interact with is well within reach, and it’s all a matter of experimentation: doing something, seeing the results, figuring out what you can glean from it, and how this information will help you resolve the overall mystery of the loop. I like the voice acting (even if the presence of Hollywood B-listers as opposed to professional voice actors makes me roll my eyes a little bit), and I’m also into how the game handles the consequences of your actions, and showing the disconnect between player and player character. Throughout the game, there’s a knife in the kitchen you are more than capable of using on your wife. Whether you do it for the funsies, or because you want to figure out what you learn by doing that, you stab your wife to death… all while the husband is freaking out, apologizing, and is absolutely horrified by doing this even beyond that loop. It immediately kind of brings in the reality of what you’re making your character do: taking something the player likely did out of curiosity and using it to make the atmosphere entirely, intentionally uncomfortable. As a whole, the game starts out well, with the premise immediately hooking you in and the initial stages providing a decent amount of options and things to do…

…only, as the game goes on, for you to find out that most of this game’s interactivity ends with what you already have. At the start of the game, the three things you can do in the apartment are to drug your wife’s drink with sleeping pills, hide in the closet so that the cop doesn’t know you’re there, and, if you do both together, you automatically indispose the cop when he tries to use a lightswitch. By the end of the game, these are still the only things you can do in the apartment. Most of what you actually do is navigate dialogue trees with your wife. And show your wife items to unlock more dialogue trees with her. And then do dialogue trees with your wife so you can then do dialogue trees with the cop. And this is all dialogue you’ve likely seen before and you are then going to see again all because maybe at the end of one diatribe there’ll be a new option you can pick, or that you didn’t pick before, which might mean something going forward. You might think ‘oh, can’t you just skip dialogue? that’s a feature that’s in basically every story-based game to sift through the tedium of seeing the same dialogue over and over again,’ but that’s not the case here. In Twelve Minutes you can skip through some dialogue… one line at a time, as if you’re going through a Dark Souls vendor’s dialogue to try and access their wares. And if you’re not actively in a cutscene with them — if you’re allowed to walk around the apartment while they have their dialogue — you can’t skip through it. You have to wait there, minute by minute, line by line, until you have the opportunity to step in and have something new happen. If you’re looking at your phone, or if you accidentally select the wrong option… whoops, loop ruined, go back to start, go through everything, manually, again.

Which, frankly, if the comp titles being intro-level Film Studies picks (which, like, no shade, I like two of those movies a lot, but also wow those are some basic bitch answers) wasn’t indication enough, the lack of polish and how… dated it feels, mechanically, really go to show how little it knows the genre it’s in. Even beyond the oodles of dialogue you oftentimes can’t skip through, the game’s so finicky and overcomplicated even when, on paper, it’s straightforward. At the beginning of the game, when I was meant to just mill around the house and have a romantic moment with my wife, I accidentally put my plate of food in my inventory when I tried to eat it, singlehandedly pissing my wife off enough to call the whole evening off. At one point, you’re directed to show the cop a picture on the fridge, but it’s not good enough to show the cop the picture on the fridge, you must engage him in dialogue trees that will tell him about the picture on the fridge, he’ll go and check it… only for the loop to be ruined because the picture on the fridge isn’t there. Because the picture of the fridge is currently in your inventory. Because you needed to show him the picture on the fridge so you then tried to show him the picture on the fridge. This then forces you to do the whole process again because, for a game partially about messing about in a time loop, and a genre/medium all about cause-and-effect and the consequences of your actions, this game is so rigid. There’s only one way you’re ever allowed to do things, and it’s usually the way where you find the item you need… then do nothing with it, instead just bringing it up in a dialogue tree down the line. For an adventure game, one that places a lot of emphasis on walking around and finding things in your apartment, it feels like the adventure gameplay runs contrary to what the game actually wants to be. Like it wants to be a visual novel but the dev is too busy looking up /r/movies ‘what’s your favourite psychological thriller?’ to realize that interactive media is more than just anime dating sims.

Because, like, if all the game wants me to do is go through the same dialogue trees over and over, then… why is this an adventure game? What’s the point of having to interface with your inventory and have to go through the whole twelve-step, two-minute process of drugging my wife over and over again at the start of near-every loop? What’s the point of being able to walk around my apartment during dialogue if I have to wait right where I am to do the next thing I need to do? It’d certainly be more streamlined if the game was only about navigating the dialogue trees it so wants me to navigate at the cost of anything else. And the game would certainly feel more playable if it had… any of the quality-of-life features that virtually every visual novel has by default. Why sit around, waiting for the game to run through dialogue it ran through before to maybe reach something new when I could just… skip to the next branching point, or the next bit of dialogue I haven’t already seen? When the last part of the game essentially boils down to “do this complicated and finicky setup to have a heart-to-heart with the cop, have an entire five minutes worth of conversation, then go back to step one, do the entire setup again, do the entire conversation again just to use something you learned during the first conversation to learn something new the next conversation just to go back and do that entire, unskippable process two more times…” why do that when you could just quicksave, or use a flowchart to go right to the point where things actually diverge? It’d certainly be much smoother to go through. And it’d definitely feel more of a match in terms of genre than the adventure game it currently is, where every convention it uses (inventory puzzles, the need for the game to be running in real-time) directly works against the experience and makes it feel much worse to play.

…I’m aware that this game’s ending is… rather disliked, and a big sticking point for most people I’ve seen talk about this game, but on my end… it was mostly just kind of whatever — its attempts to feel fucked-up and disturbing feel rather vanilla, honestly. And any chance for it to have an impact vanished when, instead of focusing on the immediate reactions of the characters, it just zooms into incomprehensible mind-palace shit and also you can fuck the whole segment up and you have to go out of your way to get back in and try again. Quite frankly, it feels like more of a smokescreen for what I felt were the game’s actual problems: how rigid, tedious, and finicky the game was on its way up to that point. There’s certainly initial promise — the setup works well as a narrative hook, and the initial stages are at least fun to experiment with until the game starts to show its warts — but when you can find ren;py VNs on itch.io and Steam with more polish and quality of life than this publisher-backed project… it becomes loosely clear this game thinks it’s more groundbreaking than it is. Comparative titles aren’t just buzzwords that your work might vaguely be like, they’re works you drew from, that were important in the process of constructing your own, and show to those with a more discerning eye that you’re not just a faker looking for prestige. And perhaps, if more time was spent researching the field rather than just throwing random psychological thrillers into your elevator pitch, this game could’ve been one of the many entries of the canon of time loop interactive narrative, rather than some brazen attempt at feeling like an innovation that it isn’t. 3/10.

Morphine (2015):
Developed by: Kerim Kumbasar
Played Before? Watched a playthrough before, otherwise no.

There’s not much that can be said about Morphine that can’t be more adequately gathered by seeing it for yourself. It’s one of those bad creepypasta serial killer fan fiction sort of stories, about a high school student named Peter Bundy and how he’s constantly tor society and also Ted, who’s the leader of both the football team and the Rich Club. Again, you kinda have to play it for yourself to see what I mean, but the stilted, amateurish writing, the overwrought way it handles its content, and the… incredible way it ends lend it a really good so-bad-it’s-good quality, where you’re propelled through just to see what silly shit the next part brings (shoutout to how everybody calls Peter ‘Peter Bunny’ when it was, in fact, Peter Rabbit who had a fly up on his nose) (also shoutout to how the game completely misunderstands what morphine does despite the game being named after it). This is… both accentuated and impeded by the gameplay: while the… distinct graphical style and the cheap, ineffective jumpscares lend something to the charm (<3 the cutscene where the dev clearly didn’t want to animate all the people moving so he just turns the camera away to stare out the window), it’s quite rough to actually play, from rather unclear objectives where you have to search for something but you don’t even know what the something even looks like, this… awful lock-picking minigame, and how the game can at points crash and send you back up to twenty minutes. So long as you can stomach that (presuming you’re even the one playing it), though, you… have something special on your hands here. Great for a laugh with friends.

I’m not a loser!

Alone in the Dark 2 (1993):
Developed by: Infogrames
Played Before? Nope.

If Alone in the Dark is the first survival horror game, then Alone in the Dark 2 is the first survival horror sequel to take a more action-oriented approach. The difference is immediately evident in how each game begins. In Alone in the Dark, you’re in an attic, there are things from outside trying to get in, and you have to race to block the windows off before they break through and drag you away. In Alone in the Dark 2 you’re plonked right next to a zombie with a gun and you have to karate chop him to death before he shoots you. While the intro for Alone in the Dark eased you into exploring the mansion, Alone in the Dark 2 gives way to… what almost feels like an action setpiece, rushing down the driveway to the mansion and trying to push a statue out of the way before the guards can shoot you. If Alone in the Dark’s first major area gave you an indication of the ins and outs of combat and how the game wasn’t afraid of being cheap with traps and ambushes, the hedge maze that begins Alone in the Dark 2 tells you three key things: every space you go through is going to be rather tight. Enemies are constant. If you want to get past, and get through, you’re going to have to engage with the game’s combat.

y’know

the combat

the really good combat

In my review for the first Alone in the Dark, I talked about how the combat system was fairly easily the worst part of the game. You’re beholden to this system where you have to learn your weapon’s moveset and learn the timings and windups all while enemies can just walk up to you and stunlock you to death, and it becomes really clear really quick that unless you want to spend a lot of health and resources for diminishing returns you need to run from and past enemies whenever possible. For Alone in the Dark 2, it’s back, and even worse. Not because combat is now the only thing you ever really do, but because instead of enemies needing to close the gap (giving you your one opportunity to safely stunlock them), now they all have guns. All the melee weapons you get are functionally useless (except for the endgame, where they’re still useless but also you can’t use any of your guns) because trying to close the gap and use them will get you shot, which then forces you into using your own guns, which are just as bad. You need to figure out where to point so that you’re pointing at the enemy, which the cinematic fixed camera angles don’t help with. This is something the AI never has to worry about, so oftentimes you lose health trying to orient your gun so that it’s actually aimed in the correct direction. It says something that the best way to go through things is to cheese the enemies into shooting a wall between you and them, instead.

And it’s required. Not just necessarily “the door will only open once the enemy is dead” but in more subtle ways, like an item needed for progression only dropping once you kill a specific enemy. Problem is, you don’t know what enemies are the ones that drop the things you need, or, even if they do drop something, whether the thing you get will actually take you in a direction that progresses you through the game or whether it just leads to more lore or a “”””””””better””””””” weapon. This is even worse when you consider resource scarcity. More specifically, ammo scarcity: your constant need for ammo because guns are the only thing worth using far eclipses the ammo the game gives you. You’re perpetually running low, a problem that’s made even worse by how you’re always going to miss at least one or two shots because the perspective is so fucked. Oftentimes it feels like you need to savescum just to see if you can get through a fight using slightly less ammo, or losing slightly less health, or losing significantly more health because you were forced to use melee, which… even when you’re meant to use it it’s still so clunky and rough to deal with. There’s more than one segment where there are tendrils guarding things that’ll damage you if you get close, that can only be hurt by melee attacks… which usually move you forward as you do so, putting you into the damage zone with the oftentimes borked fixed camera perspective making it unclear whether you managed to land a hit on the tendrils or not. The endgame is meant to be a series of swordfights, but it’s more like a series of you using the same move over and over again to lock the opponent in place, spamming it for what feels like minutes until the enemy finally forgets to block, with absolutely no indication as to whether something was a hit or how much HP your opponent has left. Overall the combat is baaaaaaad. Bad bad bad, and the increased focus on it in this game honestly singlehandedly tanks it.

Which is a bit of a shame, because I like a good deal of what this game is attempting. I love the setting: the cloudy, early evening sky, the hedge maze, how you get to run around (and climb) a pirate ship, the fact that this game, of all games, is set during Christmas (and you spend a significant amount of it in a Santa suit)… oftentimes I feel like survival horror games tend to lean onto the same kinds of settings — primarily, those popularized by genre codifiers like Resident Evil or Silent Hill — so it’s really neat to see how even just set dressing can make what’s otherwise a fairly archetypical setting (a mansion) feel so fresh and unique compared to other takes. I like the focus on the background lore — the pirates, their curse, how that informs both the gameplay and sets the story in motion — but even regardless I’m kind of into the shift into having a bit of an active plot: characters you meet along the way, a focus on what’s happening over what happened fifty years ago. There’s also a stealth section that I liked well enough, and not necessarily just because it does away with combat for a merciful, brief moment in time and instead focuses on direct helplessness, needing to stay out of the sight of enemies, impede them when they come after you, and take them out with indirect means. It’s fun, and it does a fun job at repurposing the areas you’ve otherwise fought your way through the rest of the game, transplanting them into a different context and showcasing a little bit of versatility in how they’re designed.

None of that really makes up for how rouuuuuugh the rest of the game feels to play, though. Entirely because of how action-focused this game is: you're saddled with awful combat from the moment you start, and aside from one brief, merciful segment where the game doesn’t allow you to fight back, it never gets better. Only worse, once it becomes fully clear just how clunky the mechanics are. The original Alone in the Dark, despite suffering from the exact same issue, did well to nearly turn that into a strength, the sense of fight or flight, that question of whether entering combat is actually worth it directly inspiring the games that define survival horror today. It’s… certainly not the best game in the world, sure, but it’s still solid, and still worth taking a look at, both on its own merits and as the progenitor of the genre. Alone in the Dark 2, on the other hand, aside from some quirks, and the novelty of its setting… I feel is best left forgotten. 3/10.
[+] The Present
Image Image

SC3:

Kills: 0 | Equipped with: SPAS-12 Shotgun, Trident, Colt .357 King Cobra, Meat Cleaver
SCDos — |
SCTres —
[+] The Past

BRAU2:
BRAU2 —

INTL:
INTL —

PV3:
F01: Michelle White — "Because if you can forgive me, then… then maybe I can try to forgive myself. Amen." — 68%
PV3 —

Supers:

TV2:
TV2 — 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

TV3:
BC08: Marion Rosales — "Doesn't- matter if it works or not. You get- a chance to try." — 27%
TV3 — 𓅓

TV3 —

SC2:
SCDos —
[+] Beyond

PV3 Prologue:
PV3 Prologue — 1 2 3 4 5
THEME — ???
[+] The Future
ImageImage

Warion Roux — The Bumblebee — "Homme qui regarde même les signatures en notre année 2022?"
Wham Yubeesling

Dread X Collection 2 (2020):
Developed by: Dread XP, so many other people
Played Before? Saw a playthrough of Arcadelectra but otherwise nope

The second Dread X Collection, released a little under three months after the first, brought a couple of iterations to the table. In addition to possessing twelve games instead of ten, Dread X II starts the theme of each anthology following a central theme: in this case, ‘LOVECRAFTING.’ It seems, too, that rather than each game being a playable teaser for a theoretical something more, each game was made to be a standalone experience. That’s not to say that some of the games here could become ‘full games’ — as of writing this, two of them already have — but I do believe that this approach was for the best, and might speak a little as to how this collection, as a whole, feels stronger than its predecessor. Perhaps it’s because the Dread X Collection has found its stride (though I will note that the devs coming back from the first collection, save one, seemed to… maybe put in weaker efforts here), perhaps the move to more complete experiences left the collection to feel more standalone than the first, or perhaps most people involved brought their A-game, but either way, this anthology is a step up from the first, and I easily enjoyed playing two-thirds of the games here.

Of course, another major iteration was the launcher for the individual games in the pack. While the first Dread X was simple enough — click on one of the dev logos, launch their game — Dread X II instead has a whole hub world, where you explore a house, solve puzzles, and obtain keys that then unlock each of the individual games in the pack. It’s made by Lovely Hellplace (who made Shatter one of my favourites from the first collection), and it’s generally pretty neat. I loved going through the house, from the colour palette using hues not generally used in PSX aesthetic throwbacks, to the little details: like the red eyes hidden on the statue, or how you can see rooms from outside that you can’t otherwise access. The puzzles feel fun and varied, with some being solvable from the room you find them in and others requiring you to scour the entire house. The story itself wasn’t something I particularly cared for, and there are maybe a couple stinker puzzles in there, but as a whole exploring the overworld was fun, and it’s really neat that they managed to add a wraparound, and that it doesn’t take away from the main exhibits of the anthology.

Which, speaking of:

SOLIPSIS:
A walking simulator where the value is more in the style than the substance. Gameplay-wise, while it tries to be more than ‘walk from objective to objective’ by adding little puzzles to solve along the way, they’re never more than a quick pitstop before you’re walking to the next point. The story’s… acceptable, but it’s mostly just a vehicle for the incredible vibes the game puts on offer. For something primarily painted with pixels, it’s surprising what’s been achieved here: from the way objects spin as they’re propelled in low gravity, the way blood splatters outward, and how the lighting reveals very little other than the immediate area around you, there’s a lot done here to emulate what it’d be like on the dark side of the moon, and it provides a rather desolate, kind of lonely atmosphere as you trudge across the landscape. I especially like how it transitions from pixel art to FMV as you enter a puzzle section — it does well to illustrate the steady decline of the protagonist’s mental state, and I love the use of the visual filter to make the change between artstyles feel seamless. I… probably wouldn’t rank this above, say, my favourites from the first Dread X Collection — because this game mostly is just about its vibes — but as a quick, memorable ten-minute trip into the moon, I’d definitely recommend this.

THE TOY SHOP:
Nooooooooot impressed. I’ll admit I was a little interested in the beginning, where the constant changing of visual filters (and the dissonance between the rotted, industrial interior to the brightly coloured exterior) implied that something was interfering with the main character’s perception — and through that, the reality around them. Once you're done with the tutorial, though all that gets jettisoned in favour of really drab, low saturation environments, with “puzzles” that consist of figuring out what you’re even meant to interact with and enemies that will hunt you down and kill you unless you sneak past them. 'Sneaking,' in this case, meaning the exact same walk animation, just a bit slower. I’ll admit I was entertained when the game very suddenly became a platformer… but then it becomes a shitty Unity shooter where enemies don’t make any noise until they’re right next to you and attacking (which, like, those particular enemy models come pre-built with footstep noises, why did you take them out?) and it’s even harder to see what’s even happening. It doesn’t even do the service of ending after the (very easily cheesed) boss fight — you go through another section where the game spams enemies at you and then somebody just dumps an entire fucking novel of lore telling you about the themes the game had tried to show during the first segment and also try to tie it into the theme of the anthology. Nooooooot good. It’s kinda funny to see the poor animation and the random, whiplashy directions it goes, but actually playing it? I maybe wouldn’t recommend that.

ANOTHER LATE NIGHT:
This, uh, wasn’t much of anything. It’s like a game that… pretends to be an entirely diegetic experience before slamming you full-on with meta elements, but it forgets that it needs to have something else of actual substance for the meta elements to actually effective. It also forgets that the meta elements also have to be good. And also that the story needs to be in any way coherent. I have no clue what even happened in this game. It’s meant to simulate you doing nothing on your computer at 3 AM, then you read a news article about how the game you’re playing right now is making people randomly disappear, and then this red voice asks you how you feel about climate change? And then it kind of loops and does the same thing over and over until suddenly it ends? I get what it’s trying to do. I don’t think it does it well at all. Perhaps if there was an actual game the meta stuff was layered over then it…’s maybe on the right track to being effective, but as is… honestly if I’d written up this review any later than I did I’d have worried I’d forget about the entire experience. Maybe that’s the effect. Maybe the game’s reprogramming me to forget it ever existed before it comes time for the sleeper agent in me to wake up. Who knowsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss?

TO THE END OF DAYS:
From the premise I was expecting this to be, like, a pre-apocalypse walking sim where you watch society fall apart in the wake of impending doom, and then when I started playing the game it told me to “press TAB to collect your thoughts” and I did it and I pulled a shotgun out. What followed was… a fairly fun shooter! It follows the sensibilities of something like Doom (or the many modern ‘boomer shooter’ throwbacks coming out today): there’s a certain arcadey feel as you travel down… what’s mostly a straight line and explode everything you come across with your gun. I especially like how even with only two enemy types you never quite get bored or overly used to combat, with encounters remaining fun and frenetic through the whole playthrough. I… felt like the melee was a bit useless? Other than the one part of the game where you need to break down a door to progress I always just used the gun instead, mostly because you’re encouraged to end fights as fast as possible and most enemies benefit from being fought at range. Other than that… this was a pretty fun 30-40 minute romp with some pretty fun plot beats. A pretty big improvement on the game this developer put into the last Dread X Collection.

ARCADELECTRA:
what if… we went on a date… inside the pt hallway…

SUCKER FOR LOVE:
I’m not particularly a fan of ‘ironic’ visual novels — as their attempts at ‘parody’ are almost exclusively surface level and help contribute to the mainstream Western misconception of what visual novels are actually like — but I think this one sticks the landing. If, mainly, because it actually goes beyond the premise of ‘haha, this is a dating sim where you date [x]!’ and feels that it was baked with something besides detached cynicism. While it does feel a bit too anime-inspired, and while it starts off trying to evoke the worst elements of its parody VN brethren, what follows is a fairly solid puzzle game that seems… more evocative of an Adobe Flash adventure game than anything, in terms of how you interact with the things around you. There are some sequences that are honestly effective, horror-wise, and I like how the game does discuss certain aspects of the Cthulhu Mythos and doesn’t undercut what’s happening despite the dating sim veneer. There are some issues with UI — anything that involved me dragging my mouse felt far more fiddly than intended — but aside from that I felt this was pretty decent, if not as strong as some of the others in this pack. Curious to see how the since-released full game expands on this.

SQUIRREL STAPLER:
Too long for what’s there, which is a shame, because I love this game’s general vibes. From the way things build up over the five in-game days, the charmingly scuffed pngs and models, and the random squirrel “facts” scattered across the wilderness, the game does a good job of emulating the feel of a hunting simulator while also greatly simplifying the mechanics, while also (like other games made by this developer) possessing an immaculate ability to build this bizarre premise around the player and make it feel like the most normal thing in the world. Unfortunately, as is… I do think this should’ve been three or four days/levels, rather than five? Each day is a considerable time sink, as you scour the huge map for hints of a squirrel, then slllllllowly sneak up on them enough that you can get a clear shot, before you then through the process 4-5 more times until you’re done for that given day. Each of these days feels like it could take 20-30 minutes to complete — more, if you die and have to restart from the beginning — and while the story feels like it takes full advantage of each day to build up a climax, gameplay-wise it doesn’t feel like enough is iterated on for the length to feel justified, with days 3-5 in particular feeling like the same gameplay loop repeated three times in a row — the only difference being the number of dudes that try and chase you down. I still think this game’s fairly solid, just maybe one that wore me down a little bit, and I’m happy that the since-created full release seems to potentially address this, a glance of the Steam store page indicating that the new content seems focused on deepening the existing game, rather than making it even longer. Hopefully when I play that I might actually see God.

UNDISCOVERED:
I like the way this game uses its ‘found footage’ angle in a way I haven’t seen before — how there’s both a cameraman and a reporter, and how you effectively play as both at the same time: the reporter in third person, and the cameraman in first person. It’s… done in a way that’s rather motion-sickness-inducing, admittedly, but it’s a fascinating way of controlling the game, and I like how the puzzles and the layout of the temple take advantage of it. Aside from that, I like the dynamic between the two characters, I like… the rather unexpected direction it goes, and I really love how you’re constantly moving forward as you move through the temple: both in terms of how that plays with the control scheme and how it shows you going deeper and deeper in. I really wanna play more of Torple Dook’s games. Hand of Doom was one of my unexpected favourites from the first collection, and while this pack is strong enough that Undiscovered isn’t that high, comparatively, that’s two for two. And a better record than… I think any of the other repeat devs so far.

CHARLOTTE’S EXILE:
I think the effect is a bit lost if you’re not the one playing it — I was streaming this with friends and one of these friends got bored and dropped out almost immediately — but man, if you’re the one in the driver’s seat, this is tense. The short of this is that you have to decode a cypher, and find out which symbols correspond to which letters. You have a book that’ll help you decipher each letter (and you can also use Wordle strats on unfinished words to process-of-elimination what certain letters can be), but there’s something actively converging in on you as you work on your desk, and the only way to get it to back off is take your attention off your objective and stare it down until it decides to leave, like red light green light. It’s genuinely tense: you have to be constantly on guard and can’t be distracted for too long, and it becomes a matter where you know what letter corresponds to a certain sigil, but you can’t see where that symbol even is on the list and you have to look up every couple seconds because you’re genuinely kinda scared about the thing coming in on you. It… loses quite a bit of impact when you find out that it doesn’t kill you if it reaches you, but even then that’s not the main draw: figuring out the code and solving the puzzle at the end still singlehandedly sells the game on its own. Overall really liked this. One of my favourites from the pack.

THE DIVING BELL:
At first I thought this was going to be, like, an Emily is Away-style horror game where you have to manually enter stuff into the keyboard while hiding from anything that comes into the room (almost like another Charlotte’s Exile), but then the game let me walk around the marine base and I realized it was a different — and, admittedly, less unique — beast indeed. I still liked it a good bit, though! This is mostly a mood piece: less about what’s in the base with you, more about how it feels to be all alone inside it. Sound design, the way most of the game is you figuring out how to navigate from one room to another, the short bursts of story that come through the typing segments, how you have to look at the walls to try and avoid whatever thing is looking through the windows... it really nails all the little things it wants to do, and at points genuinely manifests a little bit of fear about what you're going to find in the next room. Maybe not as ambitious in concept as some of the other games here, but it does itself with enough flair and execution that it stands out for the better, regardless.

TOUCHED BY AN OUTER GOD:
My favourite of the pack. So much here for what’s ostensibly only a twenty-minute game. It hits the old-school first-person shooter vibes perfectly: it feels arcadey in the way you chew through the waves of enemies, a bit of a power fantasy in how you can stand out, in the open, against the horde, and be able to go toe to toe against them, and yet still deliver frenetic moments where you’re being overwhelmed and have nowhere to hide. I love the EXP and upgrades system, here: the way the randomization means you’ll never have the same skillset twice — I should know, I managed to die, got sent back to the beginning, and came back with a way different build than I had initially — and how in that lens it almost seems roguelite inspired, with its focus on getting stronger along the way against increasingly more oppressive foes. Also it’s just frankly a little insane that you can just not take any upgrades and completely flip the way you play the game on its head. Also also I like how the game takes into account how many upgrades you’ve taken along the way. There’s just so much here. And even if it were just the base gameplay it’d still be super fun. Says a lot that even with a stronger cohort this is easily the highlight of the pack. Definitely wanna check out what else this dev has done.

THE THING IN THE LAKE:
…Sadly, despite four of the last five games in the pack being four of the top five games in the pack, I did not manage to end the second Dread X Collection strong. This game mostly just seems to be a victim of the short development turnaround. Which is a shame, because I like a lot of what this game’s doing. I enjoy the graphical style: even beyond how this is the same dev as WORLD OF HORROR, I enjoy the way the top-down, grid exploration game looks, and how it visually harkens back to the Apple II era. I also really like how the same areas you go through as one character get repurposed when you go through them as another character, and the way it all kind of interconnects and comes together in the final chapter. Unfortunately… this is just super broken and unpolished, and not in a particularly funny way. Getting sent back to the beginning of the chapter/having to go through all the cutscenes again is way too brutal a punishment for death, especially given how cheap death generally is, with the hidden traps and unclear objectives in a game where one hit or mistake kills you. It’s glitchy, as well: there’s a point where you have to die to continue the game and I managed to softlock myself because the game told me “mash the keys” and the little movements I did while doing that were enough to move me… out of the way of the guy who was meant to come in and kill me. The monkey that provides the main threat is way too centralising: hearing his roar initially makes the process of getting out alive a total crapshoot, but once you start to get familiar with the game (or turn on easy mode) hearing his roar literally just means you have to stop what you’re doing, wait for ten seconds for him to actually appear, then leave and re-enter when he appears. It got tiring, even beyond how quickly this game kind of tested my patience. Would love to see a fixed and maybe expanded version of this game but as of now… it avoided the bottom three mostly for having promise but man, what a limp way to end off the pack.

FINAL RANKING
Touched By An Outer God > Charlotte's Exile > To The End of Days > The Diving Bell > Undiscovered > Solipsis > Sucker For Love > Squirrel Stapler > The Thing In The Lake > Another Late Night > Arcadelectra > The Toy Shop
[+] The Present
Image Image

SC3:

SCDos — |
SCTres —
[+] The Past

BRAU2:
BRAU2 —

INTL:
INTL —

PV3:
PV3 —

Supers:

TV2:
TV2 — 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

TV3:
TV3 — 𓅓

TV3 —

SC2:
SCDos —
[+] Beyond

PV3 Prologue:
PV3 Prologue — 1 2 3 4 5
THEME — ???
[+] The Future
ImageImage

Wham Yubeesling

Garten of Banban (2023):
Developed by: Euphoric Bros.
Played Before? Nope.

The story of Garten of Banban is a simple one: somebody makes a thing, somebody else calls the thing cringe, everybody dogpiles on it, and the thing gains attention and sales and notoriety it wouldn't have gotten had it never received that initial derision. In the case of Banban, somebody made a tweet making fun of how they were already trying to sell merch upon just releasing the game, causing a snowball of Youtubers and other commentators decrying the game as the ‘death of mascot horror.’ How Garten of Banban represented the apex point in how indie horror had ‘fallen’ into a vector of cheap commercialization: the use of lore and episodic releases merely a vehicle to sell merchandise (which, believe me, real rich when those critiques come from the Bendy & The Ink Machine dev). This brought upon a wave of people to shit on the game, in a way that pretty directly gave it success in a way the developers had never been able to capture before — I was loosely aware of their output before they released Banban, and lemme tell you, they weren’t exactly doing numbers before it became cool to dunk on them. It’s the type of thing where the hate train based on its obvious bid for commercialization vs. low quality gave it the exact attention it wanted, one where the game itself isn’t as important but what it represents, and what it then managed to do.

So what’s the game actually like?

…It’s mostly just kind of whatever.

Not good, mind you, but not nearly worth the attention it got, nor does it really deserve to be amongst the worst games ever. Frankly, playing it, I was mostly just amused by just how hard it apes from Poppy Playtime’s first episode. It’s far more well known today about how its attempt at making as much money as possible caused it to burn out and lose all the goodwill it had, but something people tend to forget about Poppy Playtime is that part of how it got the opportunity to get to that point was because of the genuine promise its first episode showed. It had a really solid core mechanic and some neat puzzles to go along with it. The chase scene at the end is a rather well-done climax, forcing you to think on your feet and working well to pay off all the tension that'd been slowly building as you went deeper and deeper — as the reception area became a factory, and as it slowly became clear that something's wrong with the place around you.

Garten of Banban tries these things… and doesn’t quite reach the same success. The drone you direct around the facility mostly just feels like it’s there so the game actually has mechanics, and it’s clunky and finicky and awkward to direct around, especially when you’re trying to change its vertical position or corral it through a door. The one puzzle the game has is braindead until it's not, the last step requiring rather specific use of the drone in an unclear order of operations which makes it feel rather oblique. It never really quite makes use of its setting: while Poppy Playtime uses its setting in a factory to inform its puzzles/setpieces and let the player do fun things, it feels like you could transplant Garten of Banban to virtually anywhere else and it’d play the same way (you don’t even get to go down the slide :c). Any attempts at building tension, or atmosphere don’t work. The messages on the wall might be a decent idea, but the writing chops are not there to make it work, and all the attempts at having the kindergarten… teacher… mascot… things try and be scary just feel laughable: the weird and simplistic designs combined with their really loud colours just makes anything they do feel rather goofy.

Its attempt at imitating the climactic chase sequence of Poppy Playtime’s first episode is also rather ineffective. While I do like the idea of Opila Bird’s AI trying to imitate a bird of prey, the setting fails to take advantage of any of that: depending on your positioning when the chase starts you’re either immediately fucked or can clear the whole thing in like, five seconds. There’s no music, no difference in the sound design, no real attempt at a change in tone to signify that this is the big climactic threat: it’s treated with the exact same gravitas as everything else you’ve done up to that point. The main reaction I had upon completing the chase was ‘wait, that’s it?’ spending what was left assuming that something more would happen, beyond the "oh boy, next episode's gonna be real wild!" cliffhanger I knew wouldn't mean anything. That there'd be something concrete, here and now, that’d deliver a tangible climax. That there’d be one last attempt at a scare.

…There wasn’t.

Frankly, I’m not sure I can name anything this game executed to its intended effect, but on the other hand, I personally can’t manifest enough in me to truly dislike or hate this. Like, it functions, it's short, I wasn’t actively having to fight the game to try and beat it, most of its flaws just feel... goofy, if anything. Is it good? No. Should my score for this maybe be lower? Probably. Is it really worth all the vitriol, all the negative attention, all the claims that this game is the death of indie horror as we know it? Frankly, I don’t see it. 3/10.

Fears to Fathom: Carson House (2023)
Developed by: Rayll
Played Before? Saw a playthrough, otherwise nope.

The pacing for this game is so fascinating to me. It’s like a job simulator, sort of. You pop in for the shift — in this instance, house-sitting for a local media personality — it all starts normal before things quickly start to escalate, but the main thing of note is how much time the game allocates to these distinct sections. Mainly, you spend over half the game in the period where you’re just… doing your job: exploring the house you’re taking care of, doing odd jobs the homeowner texts you to do, and mostly just… hanging out. Taking in the general atmosphere. Doing all the fun little side things that are around for you to do. It’s honestly rather cozy, which, when the game eventually does start adding horror to the equation, makes the before and after feel like two separate experiences rather than part of the same game. Not to say it isn’t effective, though: there’s a gradual process in stripping away your comfort, a real excellent job at making you realize the danger of the situation even before you actively start being preyed on, and the way the game manages to release that tension — through jumpscare or other big moment — is all really, really, effective. I do think the pacing does leave the horror off to a bit of… whatever the opposite of a head start is once it’s meant to come in, and I think for all the buildup the final do-or-die section could’ve stood to be a little… more, but other than that I liked this. Props for making a job simulator horror game that isn’t just ‘you are working the graveyard shift and are also the only employee in the store for some reason.’ It’s nice to see something that takes a look at a subgenre — and all the little inconsistencies in the tropes they tend to use — and then proceeds to take its own spin on it, making it feel more true to life while at the same time not diluting (or, at points, even enhancing) the horror aspect. And so far this series has been at least two-for-three in capturing that. Consider me impressed. 7/10.

Garten of Banban 2 (2023):
Played Before? Nope.

When I played through the first Garten of Banban, I found it… not particularly worth the ire. Was it good? Not particularly, but its faults — and its shameless attempts to copy Poppy Playtime — were more funny to me than anything, and not quite capable of manifesting any particular hatred. It’s short, it’s mostly whatever, and the only role it has to play in the commercialization of ‘mascot horror’ is merely just being the most blatant about it. The idea that it’s considered one of the worst games of all time, more than anything, is a sign that maybe people need to play more bad games, and that bandwagons can easily catapult something far past wherever it otherwise should be. I can understand feeling that Garten of Banban is a 1/10 because it has nothing to offer — frankly, that’s where I should probably put it. I’m much more confused at the idea that it’s a game that inspires frothing hatred, worth being considered the death of an entire genre, worth the harassment of the devs off social media. There’s just not enough there to really inspire anything passionate.

Garten of Banban II, on the other hand…

…exists solely, blatantly, to waste your time. There’s a throughline, sure — you go down deeper into the depths of the facility, you get your first glimpses of the Deep Lore as the real horror begins — but it's not nearly enough to sustain the full length of the game. Tragically, however, Steam’s refund settings allow people to buy a game, beat it, and then get their money back if they can do it in two hours. The devs didn’t want that to happen to them, so they padded the game out as much as they could to try and prevent that. Which: I don’t blame them, there’s been some history of indie developers not making back their budgets for otherwise well-received games because of people abusing the Steam refund system, I fully understand wanting to avoid that same thing yourself. I feel like there are much smoother ways of achieving this goal without compromising the quality of your work, especially if you’re releasing your game episodically, but I guess, in lieu of any better ideas, this idea works as well as any.

But god does that make this painful to play. The game does everything to make sure that runtime goes over the two-hour mark. Part of this is by natural padding: adding sections that mean nothing, that contribute nothing to the story, that make the whole thing disjointed and kind of aimless. Maybe there’s a concrete beginning, middle, and end in there somewhere, but it’s like an anime with constant, pervasive filler: so much content for the sake of stalling for time that it dilutes and gets in the way of whatever it is that actually moves things forward. It’s not good content, either. It’s clunky, it’s unclear (you’ll have no idea how you’re meant to interact with puzzle elements even if you know, step by step, what you’re meant to do), and it’s not particularly fair. Which is how it pads the runtime out, partially, since your autosaved checkpoints will send you far back before the point where you actually died. Fail the comically long first-person platformer segment (which has no relevance to the greater anything) because this game wasn’t built to be a platformer? Do it all over again. Get killed by the giant bird in a situation that still doesn’t take advantage of its theoretically interesting bird-of-prey AI? Sorry, you gotta collect all the babies again, and the controls for it aren’t any better this time than it was the first time. Fail the classroom segment because it’s all trial and error where one mistake is instant death? Hope you don’t mind not being able to skip the dialogue. It’s so genuinely frustrating. And so much more so when it’s so evident there’s no greater purpose beyond using up more of your time.

It runs like shit, too. Like, generally I’m not someone who super cares about PC performance stuff — if something lags or has graphical hiccups that’s more on me for playing it on PC — but that’s for, like, high-end stuff. Not Garten of Banban. Why is there so much motion blur? Why can’t I turn it off? Why is the framerate so bad as to be actually sickening to look at? Initially I shrugged and just turned everything down… but it still lagged, and now everything was so dark and low saturation that it’s impossible to see the things you need to interact with. A solid tenth of the game was literally me futzing with the graphics settings to see if I could stop it from chugging, and this is on a decently high-end gaming laptop, so preeeeetty sure it’s not my fault, there. It’s not even just an issue of “the game is normal but laggy,” certain sections are so much harder because they don’t run well. If you turn the lighting down too low (and you have to if you want it to run) you legitimately can't see anything: the buttons you need to press to open a door, the specific corridors you need to go down during a chase scene. There’s this part where you have to grab a bunch of baby birds and put them in a nest, but also the lag makes it so hard to catch them, both because they weave and turn in a way that makes it so genuinely hard to corner them and also because the lag makes it hard to tell if you’ve caught one: so many times I caught then immediately let them go. It was painful. The whole game was painful.

…It’s still not a 1/10, though, and this time, it’s because there’s a little bit of merit in the writing. Not necessarily the plot, or the lore — I didn’t care about those — but… there’s a little penchant for what feels like anti-humour that genuinely, almost made me smile a little bit. The whole section in the classroom, gameplay issues aside, was genuinely kind of funny, whether for the intended reason or not. “It’s okay to have no friends and be miserable like me!” is a quote that has genuinely stuck in my head at least once every couple days since playing this. It doesn’t save the game, even remotely — it plays like shit and it runs like shit all just to try and get past Steam’s refund thresholds — but, having heard that episodes three and onward start to lean into the joke a bit more… I have decent faith, given what works here, that maybe I’ll have a bit more fun when I eventually yeet myself back into the mines. Just not right now. Because going through this put me in a bad, bad mood. 2/10.

That Which Gave Chase (2023):
Developed by: Aslak Karlsen Hauglid
Played Before? Nope.

Novel, interesting… goes on roughly twice the length it should. When I started playing I was rather quickly impressed by how the sled dog gameplay made movement feel: the deliberate finickiness of the anchor whenever you wanted to stop and start, how important it is to lean your character in a particular direction to prevent the sled from tipping over. I also love how expansive the areas you go through are, and not only how easy it is to get lost, but how easy it is to find your way again, the poles all over the arctic wilderness installing a sense of familiarity and direction and allowing you to make it to your destination from anywhere. I liked the way the story was presented: how quickly you cue into its non-linear nature, how you start to piece things together, how the mystery builds up to what feels like a major reveal… and then the game keeps going for 30 more minutes. You’re put into new section after new section, each one feeling like ‘okay, the game has to end here, right?’ and then it keeps on going. And it never really feels like you actually get anything out of these segments, no extra context, nothing you haven’t already learned. Maybe if there was more added to the plot, or maybe if the reveals felt staggered throughout the game rather than the last one being about halfway through, it could’ve ran its runtime better, but as is it feels like it peaks early and then it’s just going through the motions from that point on. Willing to give this game a bit of the benefit of the doubt given that I played it right after another game put me in a rather foul mood, but I think even if that hadn’t happened I would’ve had the same takeaway: neat idea, executed well, but also this does not have the runtime to fill an hour. 6/10.

Fears to Fathom: Ironbark Lookout (2023)
Developed by: Rayll
Played Before? Nope.

Fears to Fathom: Ironbark Lookout asks an important question: what if public bathrooms didn’t have any toilets? What if there was instead a room where everybody has to piss on the floor?

…Playing this game before there were any patches was maybe not the greatest idea. In addition to the restaurant piss room mentioned above (where the toilet I was meant to pee in did not have a visible model), my playthrough was fairly marred by glitches and other technical issues. On the default graphics settings the game can’t handle itself: things slow to a crawl, and there’s this motion blur when looking around which is rather sickening to have to deal with. Setting them lower doesn’t help, either: all it does is make the lighting so bright as to be painful, and the game still didn’t seem to be capable of handling its rather expansive areas. Not to mention the glitches: how I got softlocked at one point because my attempt to put down something it turned out I’d later need clipped through the floor and out of bounds, and how you’re not fast enough to be able to clear the final chase… unless you move diagonally, zigzagging somehow being faster than just… running normally. I was excited to play this game upon its release — as I’d really liked the previous games in the series and wanted to go into one of them blind — but I think, maybe, I needed to wait a bit longer, because the issues that hadn’t been patched out yet were enough to effect my overall enjoyment of the game.

Which is a bit of a shame, because otherwise I liked a lot of what this game had to offer. What this series in particular excels at is managing to capture how it feels to be where you are: both the natural horror that can come out of the situation you’re in… and also the serene, the pretty, the parts that… almost feel like home. Namely, I’m struck by the picture it captures of national park life: all the routines you have to go through each night, all the times you have to upend everything because somebody in the park did something they’re not supposed to, becoming friends with a disembodied voice on the radio, and how you slowly make your assigned firetower yours: opening and closing the shutters each night, throwing all your shit through the floor across the place, and slowly getting a familiarity of the space around you as the days go by. It’s a surprisingly comfy game, even as things start building up around you, and frankly it made me wonder if I’d personally be into the park ranger life. It plays well with the horror aspects, as the intrusions on your idyllic park ranger life turn from normal to absolutely not, and even if… I do have some questions about whether this really is a true story somebody sent in, I can’t deny that it otherwise works. Even if I should’ve waited before I otherwise experienced it for myself. 8/10.

Death Trips (2018):
Developed by: Alberto Navarro
Played Before? I think we all know the answer by now

still funny
[+] The Present
Image Image

SC3:

SCDos — |
SCTres —
[+] The Past

BRAU2:
BRAU2 —

INTL:
INTL —

PV3:
PV3 —

Supers:

TV2:
TV2 — 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

TV3:
TV3 — 𓅓

TV3 —

SC2:
SCDos —
[+] Beyond

PV3 Prologue:
PV3 Prologue — 1 2 3 4 5
THEME — ???
[+] The Future
ImageImage

Wham Yubeesling

Garten of Banban 3 (2023):
Played Before? Nope.

Garten of Banban 3 is the best Garten of Banban so far. Whether that speaks to actual quality, or merely just being the tallest dwarf… okay, definitely the latter, but it at least made me question that to myself for a couple of minutes, and that says something. And not just about how it’s easy to overrate things when they exceed your expectations. The game is actually playable: unlike the previous games, all I had to do were to change some of the settings on PC and it ran fine the whole way through, and to be honest I probably could’ve gotten away with having them on high if it weren’t for me being paranoid that something was going to be all fucked up later. Many of the sections you go through feel improved as well: they’re not just killboxes that seek to make you reload as many times as possible, they’re attempts at setpieces. They’re clear, distinct moments with puzzles that, at times, can be loosely fun/satisfying to try and solve. The game’s also fairly decent at evoking stress — making the player fret as they try and solve the current section, making them dread what’s coming up — even if… it’s perhaps not quite in the way that was initially intended.

Because, while it’s certainly better than its predecessors, that still doesn’t mean it’s anything approaching good. The mission statement of this game, like Garten of Banban II, is still to stall for time in hopes of getting over the Steam refund threshold, it’s just that the developers are far more benign about it this time. Honestly it’s kind of funny to see just how blatant they are about it: the long pauses between lines of dialogue, the stretched-out gondola rides between each of the major areas, the way the game will try and randomly hide things like switches or items from plain sight, or how there are points where the game makes you jump off a surface to grab an item or hit a switch and you have to wrestle against the game to be able to actually hit it, it’s loosely a marvel to see how the game will stretch itself out next. There’s this one corridor where you have to open, like, eight doors in a row before you actually reach the next room. There’s another part directly copy/pasted from Garten of Banban II. I think my personal favourite is when the game tells you that the guy you’re looking for is on another part of the floor, but that there’s a BAD GUY on the same part of the floor you’re on and that you’re going to need to deal with him if you want to leave… only for you to immediately be told to leave and go to a different section of the floor in order to deal with him. It’s clear that these are all just excuses to extend the length of the game. And it’s also clear that the chops aren’t there to create an internal justification for any of itself, or to stitch together all these disparate sections into a coherent whole. But at the very least it’s much more friendly than II’s reliance on cheap deaths and extremely lengthy runs between checkpoints (even if there were sections that veered wayyyyyyyyyyyy longer than felt necessary or fun), and while there’s not quite a narrative structure, the way the map splits itself off into four distinct sections at the very least gives the player an indication of how far they are through the game, and, for better or worse, how close they are to the end.

I mentioned in my review for II that I did have loose hopes this game would be an improvement, based on what seemed like a capacity for humour combined with an inclination that the game started getting a bit more in on the joke from this point onward. Tragically, I was wrong on that: while there is inherent value in the voice acting, the limp attempts at jumpscares, and just how blatantly the game pads itself out, its attempts at actively leaning into this fall rather flat. Primarily because it manifests in spouting fanbase in-jokes far past the point where it initially could’ve been cute. In particular, the game loves to have Banban mention eating pancreases — a reference to the first game, where the game attempts to have its seemingly friendly aesthetics turn sinister by having a mural say “sharing is caring! Your pancreas is mine!” It was ridiculed, so the devs tried to do it ironically, but in the kind of way that mostly just kills the joke: especially when there’s a robot you have to push that spouts off a line about pancreases and another in-joke like ten times in as many seconds. The humour also veers… a bit long for its own good: the oft-mentioned car scene manages to hit some loosely absurdist beats before it… keeps going without much new material, only choosing to end about double the length it probably should’ve been. There’s one minor beat I thought was cute — a moment where the game tries to sandbag you in a way that’s honestly rather charming — but as a whole… man if this is the developer’s way of leaning in on the joke and trying to laugh with the people playing the game… I can’t really say I’m looking forward to that aspect anymore. I’m rather disappointed, honestly.

And overall… okay, yeah, it’s certainly an improvement, and maybe that, for a second, confused my brain into thinking “wait, is this really that bad? I don’t hate it, honestly,” but having gone through the whole thing, and having a couple of hours to put it all into perspective… it might be the least bad, but that doesn't make it any less bad. While it’s perhaps this series at its most playable, so far, it’s now gained an additional problem in that while its attempts at crafting a serious horror experience are ineffective as to cross the line into comedy, its newfound attempt at leaning into that comedic aspect falls far, far from the point where it could’ve worked. Given that I’m probably at this point committed to going through the rest of the series, though, I’ll at least take my blessings where I can find them: if this is the bar, the general structure, the way it’s going to pad itself out going forward, then I can’t imagine I’m gonna have that bad a time going forward. 3/10.

Squirrel Stapler (2023):
Developed by: David Szymanski
Played Before? …I guess so, yeah.

When I covered Squirrel Stapler in its original form, I noted that the updated version at least seemed like it was taking steps in the right direction, working on deepening what was already there as opposed to expanding the (already rather long) length of the original. What I didn’t quite realize was that that was a joke. The “expanded mechanics” talked about are random stalls plonked around the forest that at best, only superficially add to the game, poking fun at how some game rereleases tend to add things that futz with the original game to justify their own existence — kind of like The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe in that regard. What the rerelease does do, however, is make the game feel much more friendly to play: the forest is a lot more populated so you don’t have to scour the landscape for several minutes just trying to find (and then go through the whole process of sneaking up on) a single squirrel, and there seem to be fewer enemies, keeping death as a setback but also making it much less frequent as it sometimes got in the original. It doesn't quite fix what I felt to be the biggest problem with the original version: days 3-5 still feel like the same loop three times without much added in between. At the very least, though, the quality of life changes make it much easier to deal with, and helps the game lean in on its strengths: the way the narrative builds up, the way the game simplifies/parodies the mechanics of a hunting simulator while still managing to emulate the general feel, and how the game (like others from its creator) builds up this absolutely bizarre premise around the player yet makes it feel like the most normal thing in the world. They’re perhaps not the iterations I maybe wanted to see going in (and I do wish day 4, in particular, didn't feel like the game was repeating itself), but they are improvements, and as a whole I’d recommend this as the definitive Squirrel Stapler. I got to see God this time : ).
[+] The Present
Image Image

SC3:

SCDos — |
SCTres —
[+] The Past

BRAU2:
BRAU2 —

INTL:
INTL —

PV3:
PV3 —

Supers:

TV2:
TV2 — 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

TV3:
TV3 — 𓅓

TV3 —

SC2:
SCDos —
[+] Beyond

PV3 Prologue:
PV3 Prologue — 1 2 3 4 5
THEME — ???
[+] The Future
ImageImage

Wham Yubeesling

I'm back! And ideally a bit more on the ball for reviews this time! Gonna maybe finally update the OP in a couple of days but in the meantime if you see this post feel free to nominate a game onto the friend wheel, even if you've nominated a game before. Might be a while before I spin it but that means all the more time for you to get something in there.
[+] The Present
Image Image

SC3:

SCDos — |
SCTres —
[+] The Past

BRAU2:
BRAU2 —

INTL:
INTL —

PV3:
PV3 —

Supers:

TV2:
TV2 — 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

TV3:
TV3 — 𓅓

TV3 —

SC2:
SCDos —
[+] Beyond

PV3 Prologue:
PV3 Prologue — 1 2 3 4 5
THEME — ???
[+] The Future
ImageImage

MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

Wham Yubeesling wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:15 pm I'm back! And ideally a bit more on the ball for reviews this time! Gonna maybe finally update the OP in a couple of days but in the meantime if you see this post feel free to nominate a game onto the friend wheel, even if you've nominated a game before. Might be a while before I spin it but that means all the more time for you to get something in there.
Hatoful Boyfriend!
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
Deblod100

Post by Deblod100 »

Been playing this recently, but I recommend A Hat in Time.
It's so hard when your on your own
You might fall into the Forbidden Zone

[+] The Winner
- Stephanie "Seth" Geller - A DOTF girl, who is going to die as the "post-ironic" hipster goth moron she is. She sacrificed her humanity, after she became an undead beast in the care of another monstrous beast. She won the game, but she lost her wife in the process. Hope still blossoms to her after she was brought back to life.
[+] The Forbidden Zone
A graveyard to those who have fallen. Rest easy, fair children.
- Chevy Gallagher - (University Guy who wants to be hip with them kids. The Art of War and balls of paint isn't going to save you, when your life is on the line.) He wanted to do the right thing, but he was caught among a burning bridge and became a victim to an invasive species.
- Nicholas Rothstein - (A DOTF boy, who knows how to get very weird and become a 13-eyed monster.) He didn't go to the Backrooms, but he got lucky that gravity was merciful on him. By impalement.
- Scott Bee - (Another DOTF boy, who I just made in one day and killed off.) He couldn't take the heat and he might never be heard from again.
- Mitch Cline - (Also another DOTF boy who was dating Scott Bee.) Mitch Cline would get front row seats to a volcano eruption and got his head ripped off post-modern.
[+] Current Kids
Current Kids:
- Gerald Yao - One Room Death Game guy. A misunderstood "Asian Twink".
- Kenton Zinn - Spookr8ma lives free and fast in a digital world free of his fears and worries, but the facade has to come down eventually.
- Pineapple "Pippi" Bloodworth (SC3) - Adopted from handler Lilith. She was killed and tossed in the seas. Years later, she would be fished out from a river and given another chance.
- Chevy Gallagher (SC3) - He came back to life, because he wants to go to Valhalla.
- Ulysses Padron - A DOTF V2 boy, who claims to be a "survivor type". This can't end well.
- Mitsuaki Cirsley - A DOTF V2 boy who like many unfortunate students, find themselves in hell. His only weapon? An analog camcorder.
- Karen Wyler - A DOTF V2 girl brutally punished for her need to be in love with the women of her dreams. She learnt her lesson, but will it return to haunt her?
[+] The Sinful 13
A collection of planned and current villain characters, whom crimes and atrocities will take those into the darkest reaches of what humanity might find. Beware.
- Lust -
- Gluttony - ??? (ALIVE) - Planned for TV4. He wanted to become famous in his own way. He spent his craft, making delicacies and allowing others to enjoy his creations. When SOTF-TV takes him, the culinary artist becomes a hunger artist, when he hates the taste of what he is given. With a new twisted imagination, the viewers back at home are going to lose their appetites.
- Envy -
- Greed - Quentin Coyle (ALIVE) - Survival of the Fastest character. In a world that has gone through horrors from nuclear war, one man and his troupe drives on the wasteland. He is an extortionist who keeps his wealth away from others and pillages what he sees as the hottest commodity. Human organs. Already with a bounty for his severed head, Quentin will make a wish to the President that will reduce what is left of America into a new genocide for a profit.
- Sloth - Terrence Og (ALIVE) - DOTF V2 character. The world passes him by without a second thought, until it stopped and saw what his neglect has done to an innocent child. Far from home now, all Terrence wants to do is let others do all the dirty stuff, but how close is karma when a pit full of snakes awaits him.
- Pride - ??? (ALIVE). "I want to have you pause here and ask you a question. What are you willing to do to make sure that you will live forever? Be forever in replays and re-runs until the heat death of the universe. Get rid of all of that is holding you back. The whole world will know you as my victim."
- Wrath - ?? (ALIVE) - An AU character. He was born physically and mentally flawed, while the rest of the world benefitted with their own abilities that were nothing like his own. Life has dealt him an unfair bad hand and he wants to make those who have the weak suffer pay. The problem is how much bad is he willing to do to rid the world of the elite?
- Vanity -
- Heresy - Emil Vholes (ALIVE) - DOTF V2 character. He lives as a parasite, making lives miserable and sowing discord and misery with his presence. When SOTF happens, he lets a massacre benefit him. It isn't long, until the sins that he refuses to take account for to return, but what will he do, even when the world now wants him to burn as the heretic he is?
- Violence - Nancy Carlson (ALIVE) - DOTF V2 character. She had no one to turn to. Her fairytale life that was a lie finally collapsed. All of her hope was gone. Until from the depths of Tehom did an entity come to take advantage of her torment. Now, Nancy will finally be happy and have her hopes and dreams come true in delusion... with a blood trail behind her.
- Fraud -
- Treachery -
- Despair -
[+] Future Kids
Future Kids:
- Jules Szymanski - First character by handler. SOTF-TV Season 68 Contestant. Artist and Unwilling Martyr. The only way for salvation is to maintain humanity, not world domination.
Jules Szymański ma zostać skazany na śmierć za próbę stworzenia świata, w którym wszyscy zginą niezauważeni przez masy.
- Valente Lozano - SOTF-TV Season 69 Contestant. The Influencer who knows he is going to live forever and will climb the ivory tower of impeding doom before him, as long as his death can net him more than 10 millions views online. If he falls, he will start to fly.
"Este mundo está hecho para recompensar a los psicópatas como nosotros. No lo admitirían, pero soy su próxima historia de éxito".
- Haven Szymanski - SOTF-TV Season 70 Contestant. Gamer and Pop Culture Geek, who is sentenced to death for being a mourner. Left to die, so they can pick up the body parts to carry on. Będąc w cieniu, Przystań zyskała ciemność w ich sercach.
- Vincent Talbott - SOTF-TV Season 70 Contestant. Smoke and mirrors always got him far, but now he must do the dark arts of murder to get himself by. Can he be the star that he was meant to be?".. / --- -. .-.. -.-- / .-- .- -. - . -.. / .--- ..- .-.. . ... / - --- / -... . / .... .- .--. .--. -.-- .-.-.-".
- "Blaze" - Supers V2 Kid. Misnaming your elemental kid is bad enough, but when he becomes unstable, things go horribly wrong..
- "Point of View" - Supers V2 Kid. The average human sees what they themselves to see. This kid can see what others see.
- Lizzie Price/The Scarecrow - Concept character for upcoming Slasher High. She is not okay. She is not okay at all.
- ??? - Be wary of false prophets, for hell is all they bring.
- ??? - All she wanted for the perfect life and the perfect dream. What she got was torment.
- ??? - A woman from the States and from Far East, she sees this oddity she's in as another day in chaos.
- ??? - What was once a memory of a life that could have been brings back a dark trauma that haunts a would-have-been actor.
Slam

Post by Slam »

I nominate Amanda the Adventurer.
Second Chances 3
Lucas Brady - Ultra-Premium Grade - 1

Nu-BRAU
B13: Yuichiro Takiguchi - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11

SOTF: Supers
S028: Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] pregame
Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2
Catche Jagger
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Catche Jagger »

Nicktoons Unite
[+] Characters
[+] PV3 Prologue
M35-Muhammad Abbasi - "Hey, it’s okay now. We’re both in this together, right?"
PV3P: 1-2-3-4 | After: 1

M38-Nathan Kirchhoff - "Shit."
PV3P: 1-2-3-4
[+] TV3
ImageCK08FR04 - James Highchurch - “Okay, yeah. Exit strategy. I’ll… Yeah, I’ll think about that.”
Memories: 1 | Sandbox: 1
TV3: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19

ImageBC05 - Gabriela Garcia-Campos - “This is how things are here, the way the show is. So I need to get over it.”
Memories: 1 | Sandbox: 1-2-3
TV3: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14
[+] AUs
International
O19 - Archibald "Archie" Harper - "That’s why we’ve gotta fight the fuck back, one step at a time."
International: 1-2-3

O11 - Jen Mara Tuiqamea (adopted from Cicada and jimmydalad)
International: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

Supers
Alan Melnyk - "What you’ve gotta do is say ‘fuck em’ and keep doing you."
Memories: 1-2-3
Supers: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11
After: 1-2-3
[+] The Future
Second Chances
Aditi Sharma
Desiree Beck

Return to “General Discussion”