Hysteresis

Paging Deamon & Yugikun

The Recesses consist of the lower, below ground levels of The Compound. Accessing The Recesses requires passing through the upper levels of the Compound itself and down its central, spiral staircase to the depths below. The Recesses are pitch black, even during the day, and the average person will need to use a flashlight to be able to see.

The rooms on the outer edges of below ground floors of The Compound contrast heavily with the ones above ground, with each being much larger and seemingly all having distinct intended purposes. Rooms vary from obstacle courses, to shooting galleries, to operating rooms, most of which have attached observation rooms with one-way glass panels. Two notable rooms consist of one full of decrepit, 70s era computers, and another that has a coal fired generator that takes up most of the room, with an exhaust pipe leading up into the ceiling and out.

Just like the above ground floors, furniture has been clearly displaced to create cover in the hallways, but only some of the furniture of the below ground floors has been moved in this way, in contrast to the above ground floors. As a result, the majority of the furniture within The Recesses remain seemingly undisturbed, though most useful items have still been removed.

THREAD LIMIT: 2

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

Shiola
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Hysteresis

Post by Shiola »

((August Hanlon continued from Induction))

A fluorescent light tube flickered on the ceiling, briefly illuminating the bare concrete walls of the stairwell before fading to a dim glow as August passed underneath it. The bulbs were too old to bother trying to light them, at least while he was on the move.

“Well, it was worth a try. Should probably stick to flashlights.”

Ana and August had followed a trail of ants down into the central stairwell of the Compound. While the ants themselves were unremarkable, their march cut through a path of insect droppings and detritus that indicated the movement of a much larger Swarm.

The two of them hadn’t spoken much on their way here. On the way in, August had felt too wound up at the prospect of running into anyone, much less Isabella, to focus his attention elsewhere. Besides, it was hard to know what to say, at least what could be said that wasn’t just trying to fill a silence. Most of what came to mind seemed kind of trite.

So, how about that death game, huh? You thinking of doing some murders? Nah, me neither. I killed a crow once by accident and I felt bad about it for weeks.

The more sincere concerns that came to mind didn’t seem much better. Asking how she was doing could come off wrong.

It’s hard to just say: I care and I know you’re doing your best to hold it together. The specific words, at least. “Are you okay?” rolls off the tongue easier.

He stopped and produced the yellow flashlight from his bag, still light in the absence of a battery. It lit up in his hands, with a flickering glow that was brighter and not quite as steady as one might expect. August knew it was just nerves; he turned to Ana, hoping they didn’t show on his face.

“Hey, um, it looks kinda spooky down there. Are you - uh, I mean, how are you holding up?”
SOTF: U
Evan Keane: "I guess my world was always gonna end, somehow."

SOTF Supers:
August Hanlon - "This never felt like much of a Gift."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

[[Ana Ford continued from Induction]]

There was a bloodstain on the side of her jeans, it was there because she'd wiped her bleeding hand on them. It had eventually stopped, but the smile shaped cut remained deep red and angry. They had found the trail of bugs easily enough and had followed them deeper in the building. Ana hadn't realized there was a basement to the structure and as they'd stood at the top of the stairs the parasite had shivered. As they'd descended deeper into the bowels of the building she'd had to fight back the urge to return to the others. Self-doubt had welled up within her as the light grew weaker and faded away with each step down they took. As August turned his flashlight on she had visions of a bug monster leering above him in darkness, large glops of saliva falling from chitinous jaws.

But no monster had materialized out of the shadows and it remained just the two of them. Following August's lead Ana began to dig into her bag to find her own flashlight. She heard him ask how she was doing as she did so and was glad her head was focused down on the contents of her pack.

"I'm alright," She said, a lie that was made all the more obvious by the noticeable tremor in her voice. But she forced herself to keep talking in the vain hope it would eventually recede. "What do you think is down there?"
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Though she said she was alright, he knew that couldn’t be true. What she was really saying was probably along the lines of I don’t know how to answer that, and so August left it alone for now. He hoped she’d feel comfortable enough reaching out later on, if they managed to escape this place.

In response to her question, he shrugged and fixed his gaze down the stairwell.

“Hopefully, not much.”

Though he seemed to be visually inspecting their surroundings, he was actually using another sense entirely. August felt live wires in the walls, running to the camera positioned at the landing of the stairwell. Following the path of the wires, he noted that it ran down into the compound and beyond his ability to sense. Reaching out more closely with his field, he was able to grasp tendrils of dead wiring running through the walls, something he’d only ever felt when a wind storm caused an hours-long blackout back home.

“I have no clue what this place is. I can feel the wiring in the walls. Little differences in resistance. It’s like, a texture, almost. Most of it is dead, but their cameras are still running off of something. I can’t tell where those wires go, though. They're further than I can reach.”

His voice sounded distant, as if he was wholly immersed in the experience. Focusing on the sense that his Gift gave him was easier when he tuned everything else out.

After a few moments, he seemed to regain his focus, and looked back to Ana. It dawned on him that she might not have just been asking what he thought they’d find down there, but who.

“Let’s keep going, I think I can still see the ants down there."

He pointed his flashlight down at the small parade filing down the stairwell.

"I wanna try talking to Isabella first, but if that doesn’t work - stay close to me. I can keep us safe.”

SOTF Supers:
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

August said he could sense the wires in the walls and Ana found herself momentarily jealous of the range of uses August's gift seemed to have. It seemed to have so many different applications, and he seemed so confident in the way he employed them all. In fact, as Ana thought back she had only really seen him unsure on a couple of occasions. She wished she could have been like that.

The parasite was resting on her shoulder as August continued. He said he wanted to talk to Isabella and if anything went wrong he would be able to keep them safe and while Ana wanted to believe him she found it difficult. Isabella and August both had similar gifts, at least, they came from a similar family. They could both control the natural world around them. She had seen Isabella's gift when the clouds of insects had descended like the locusts from the bible.

She struggled to imagine how anyone could stand up to something that seemed so overwhelming. But August said he could, and she supposed he would have known. So she nodded along. In truth, she was scared of meeting Isabella and had been since she had decided to go with August.

Ana turned her flashlight on and its beam joined with the one from August's to strengthen the light they had to see with. It made her feel slightly better to be able to help in some way, even if it was only in small ways. She didn't know what she would have been able to do if Isabella did appear and attack them. She and the parasite shivered in unison as she imagined drowning under a flood of insects. Their legs covering every inch of her skin as their bodies forced their way into her mouth to crawl down her throat, as they forced her eyelids apart, and crawled into her eyes.

"How?" She asked quietly, before repeating herself. "How can you keep us safe?"
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

August thought for a minute, wondering if anything he’d say would make it clear enough. Safety was, of course, relative in their situation. As Ana’s words repeated over and over in his head, they became less and less charitable.

How can you keep us safe?

His Gift was never easy to explain; beyond the arcane sensory experiences and the fact that he needed to be constantly slightly stoned to even function in society. The sheer hazard of his abilities made most folks wary, even with the tidiest of explanations.

Pausing in his step, he realized the simplest thing to do was to show Ana. What he’d had in mind was something he’d usually thought of as a party trick, though he’d rarely been invited to enough parties to demonstrate it. A few friends had participated before, when the topic of safety ever came up.

“Well, I can zap most of the bugs. That’s how I’ve always swatted flies, I just have to… scale up. As for, uh, us, well - here.”

August offered his hand.

“I can show you.”

SOTF Supers:
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

August stopped walking and for a dreadful moment, Ana thought she'd offended him with her question. She felt her stomach drop as she anticipated some sort of remark or for him to start berating her for not trusting him. Ana stopped and mentally prepared herself to weather the verbal storm she was expecting, pushing her own body back against the wall to make herself smaller. But nothing came. Her mind had merely rushed to the worst possible outcome of her question. Just like it always did whenever something she said was followed by a period of silence.

Instead, August explained some more about his power and then offered her his hand. In response, the feeling in her stomach shifted and took on a more nervous energy. She slowly exhaled as they stood there, his hand extended while she was pushed back against the wall.

At her command, the parasite flowed down her arms to cover her hands. It was an instinctual response, one borne from her own uncertainty in the situation and what to do. After a noticeable silence where all Ana could hear was her own breathing she sent the parasite back up her arms and stepped forward towards August.

"Okay," She breathed, the uncertainty clear in her voice.

And as images of her impending demise from electric shock and her smoking body lying on the floor played in her mind she reached out and took his hand.
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

The look on Ana’s face was familiar. Not because he knew her, or the particulars of the anxieties that she carried with her, but because he’d seen it so many times before. August had so many memories of looks like that.

August approached, just to say goodbye. Everyone else was embracing one another.

“N-no, it’s alright! I can do hugs. Really.”

They didn’t hold him tightly. He wished they would.

Ana hadn’t said no, yet, or backed off. The quicksilver spread across her hands, gleaming in the low light cast by their flashlights. It was, in itself, kind of beautiful. It wasn’t clear to him whether it was a conscious impulse. He’d seen the silvery familiar looking at him a few times, if it could be said to be using anything approximating eyes. It wasn’t even clear to him where the line between Ana and the creature blurred, either. He felt too shy to ask, but hoped opening up about himself might allow her to do the same.

If nothing else, it seemed protective of her - or she was protective of herself. A grotesque part of August’s mind made the mental note that it was in all likelihood completely incapable of protecting her from him.

The darkness seemed to close in a bit when he thought of that, and the flashlight in his hand flickered slightly. Ana broke the momentary silence by speaking up, and extending her now-exposed hand.

August smiled, the flashlight now back to full strength.

“Thanks.” For trusting me.

Gently, he took hold of her hand and held it tightly. It was nice to feel someone else’s skin against his own, even in a context like this. It was a rare thing for him. He tried not to dwell on the sensation, focusing his Gift on Ana.

Everyone else had a little electric field. Nothing like August’s, and nothing he could meaningfully interact with, but it was there. It was enough that he could feel something else when touching them, something unique to people and animals that separated them from everything inanimate. The mundane explanation was that it was the static that built up on hair, the miniscule electrical signals in the brain, something low-level that people gathered unto themselves in their day-to-day lives.

August assumed that was the case, but he nursed another theory. Something that felt nicer to believe, even if he didn’t have much to back it up with.

He liked to think he could feel life. A spirit, maybe. Something that most people only saw evidence of in laughter, and tears, and pain, and joy, but something he could really feel. The character of life that made it more than what rose out of the dirt and returned to it.

Whatever it was, he knew the curious synesthetic feeling that accompanied finding it. August wrapped Ana in his field, like an embrace.

The air between the two of them began to faintly glow a dim purple. A low static hum began to reverberate through the air, and tiny sparks rose off of their bodies, harmlessly discharging into the air around them. August noted with some interest that the silvery familiar seemed especially conductive, drawing some of the larger sparks between the two of them.

August smiled, an arc crawling up his arm in mimicry of Ana’s own gift, casting stark shadows throughout the recesses of the compound before flickering out.

“If we’re touching, I can just draw the current around you. It’s a bit like being grounded, except - well, I’m the ground. So, if I have to do anything crazy, you can just hang onto me. Then there’s no chance that anyone or anything can touch you without me swatting it back.”

SOTF Supers:
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

There were sparks.

When Ana opened her eyes she saw the air around them faintly glowing purple. Looking around Ana could see their immediate surroundings being briefly lit up as small sparks darted off their bodies. The parasite stayed where it was, although Ana wondered if that was only because she had asserted control and was keeping it in place. With it being made entirely from mercury she didn't want to risk it touching August, both for his safety and the parasites' own.

As she stood there watching a miniature light show the sparks created, a small smile crept across Ana's face. It was the first time she could remember doing so since waking up. When she looked over at August and saw him smiling too as he mimicked the parasite with his gift, her smile grew larger before she awkwardly looked away and focused on watching the glow.

Meanwhile August explained how the whole thing worked and Ana could just about understand the information he gave her. But based on what he said as long as she was touching him she couldn't get shocked. She was grateful for the information, and also for the fact she hadn't been erased the moment she had made contact with him.

"Thank you," Ana said once August had finished his explanation and for the first time she didn't sound nervous. "It's kind of pretty." Then after keeping hold slightly longer than she needed to Ana let go and released the parasite, which spun around her shoulder and came to a stop in the crook of her neck. She gently patted it as it rested there, feeling it squash and wrap around her palm and fingers each time.

"I hope you don't have to do anything crazy."
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

August let the field subside as Ana let go, glad to see she wasn't frightened. On the contrary, the display seemed to brighten her spirits, in addition to their surroundings.

It made him feel happy, to see her come back out of the dark cloud that she'd been under. For a moment, he forgot what he'd likely have to do with his Gift to get out of here, and afterwards.

She even called it pretty!

"Anything crazy" was an awkward euphemism for having to use his Gift offensively. It was true that she was safe when she touched him, but only if he made it so. If he had seen her differently, perceived her presence another way with his field, August could have stopped her heart with a thought, the moment she took hold of his hand. Faster than the neurons in her brain could even register it happening.

That was why it was important to focus on that essential quality, that life he knew was there. To not see anyone else as less than. To protect, not harm. It was so easy to destroy.

"Me too."

The moment passed, as the smile faded from his face. He couldn't forget that at the end of this trail of ants and cockroaches and insect droppings, there was another life worth just as much as their own. They had to be careful.

August shone the flashlight up the dark hallway, searching corners and half-open doorways as they moved further into the recesses. Long-dead fluorescent light tubes flickered as August searched with his field, hoping that he'd catch a faint glimpse of the GPS tracker in Isabella's collar.

SOTF Supers:
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

August agreed with her hope and they lapsed into another silence as the search through the recesses continued. Their flashlights shined over different sides of the corridor and through different doorways, kids hunting for a monster that lurked in the dark. The combination of August's resolve and the ability he had demonstrated made Ana more hopeful of their chances. But she still didn't want to encounter Isabella.

Ana didn't know what she could contribute, all she had was the parasite and she had no idea how to use it to fight off bugs. She didn't even know if it could. She wished she had fire or ice powers, something she could use over a large area. If she could burn or freeze Isabella's bugs she could have been useful. Ana wanted to be useful, she had decided to accompany August so she could help him. So she was going to help him.

She considered withdrawing the glass shard from her pocket but it occurred to her that a shard of glass would do even less against a swarm of bugs than the parasite would, no matter how sharp it was so she reconsidered. Instead, she left it where it was and focused on sweeping her flashlight into the corners of the rooms. As Ana did so she thought about when they had first seen sign of Isabella, the grand swarm that had descended upon the building like a biblical tale.

The memory made her realize something that could have potentially been helpful. She considered saying it. She was sure August would have already thought of it. But at the same time, he hadn't mentioned it, so there was a chance he hadn't she supposed. After convincing herself that it would have been useful regardless Ana spoke up.

"I just thought," She started, taking a second to make sure she didn't sound stupid. "I just thought, won't we hear her first? Or at least hear all the bugs?"
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

As if on cue:
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

"I guess that'd make sense, yeah."

Synesthesia made it frustrating at times to pick out real sounds from the ones only he could hear. In truth, he wasn't entirely sure if he'd already been hearing the chittering of legs and humming of wings or if that had just been the IR cameras mounted at the corner of every hallway junction in this labyrinthine place.

"Wait-"

When he did hear the Swarm, however, it was unmistakable. Thousands of tiny bodies, tens of thousands of wing-beats and tiny vibrations. August was in mid-step when he first heard it, and instinctively looked down to ensure he wasn't stepping on anything.

Shining his flashlight into one of the dilapidated storage rooms, August recoiled. The faint buzz of the collar's GPS tracker was barely audible inside of the writhing mass of insects. The walls were moving.

August shot Ana a grim look, before turning back towards the room and attempting a genial wave.

"Isabella? It's August. My friend Ana is here, too. We were looking for you. Are you okay?"

SOTF Supers:
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

As soon as she finished the question the noise came. It was the sound of skittering legs, flapping wings, and scraping carapaces as innumerable bodies of insects fell over one another. August shone his flashlight through a doorway and Ana could see the wall behind appear to bubble as the invertebrates covering its surface reacted. They crawled across each other, some falling to the floor and beginning to spread out like a bloodstain.

She and August shared a look before he turned back to the doorway and waved calling out to Isabella. Ana wondered how the girl could cope with the constant hiss of the swam she had assembled or trying to pick out details within the flowing mass. As Ana followed the beam of August's flashlight and tried to pick out the shape of Isabella she felt the parasite tugging at her. Quickly glancing over it she saw it franticly spiking upward and as she followed its direction and looked up using her own flashlight to see the ceiling she could see the swarm had made its way above them.

Facing the idea of being buried beneath an avalanche of bugs Ana balked and started to back away. All thoughts of what August had shown her vanishing from her mind in her panicked steps backward. Only for the parasite to turn and rear back from the footsteps that had joined her own.

Stuck between two options she couldn't find the courage to face Ana instead froze in place.

"August," She whispered, her voice frantic. "August, she's behind us!"
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

She was.

The swarm was right behind them.

It stood there.

Stayed.

Stared.
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Behind us.

August turned, slowly. Whatever senses they'd been using to find Isabella, August supposed she had far more at her disposal. The thought that she might've been following them only seemed less unnerving given their present circumstances.

Without making much of the movement, August reached in Ana's direction. At the same time, he faced the source of what he could only assume was Isabella's collar. The faintest hint of a human form was visible from within the swarm.

"H-hey there." He stammered, at first. The dead fluorescent lights on the ceiling flickered slightly.

August continued, gradually regaining confidence as he spoke.

"Hi Isabella. I - we - Ana and I, we're trying to help. We want to protect people, and try to get out of here. You're safe with us. Do you - do you understand what I'm saying? "

SOTF Supers:

Return to “The Recesses (Danger Zone)”