Unofficial TV3 Final Toasters Club/Discussion Thread

This is the board to discuss and plan for SOTF-TV, both the actual games and related lore projects.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Best Innovation: Marcel Duchamp, Wassily Kandinsky (well actshully Hilma af Klint did abstract art before he did-)

Best Realism: Well, there aren't any grounded characters, since the arena's floating on the ocean, and that means there's no ground or land, only water.

Best Heroic Character: Ivan

Best Villainous Character: Ivan
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
DerArknight
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by DerArknight »

Characters

Best Character Development: Anthony Golden has come a long way that I am not even going to tell anything about.

Best Game Impact: I think if you look at the entire site as a whole, Luanne Grasset deserves this spot as the first escapee since years (apart from PV3P). Kermit put a lot of effort into her and it shows. I look forward to her epilogue and how her existence will be referenced ion future versions set in the TV-verse.

Best Innovation: Ivan Rodriguez was a character I took very long to warm up to for several reasons. But ultimately I think he and his gimmicks like the many oneshots or him talking with his weapon might be confusing, but have some really good pay-off.

Best Realism: Matias Juarez felt like a real person with some believable flaws. For example his fall-out with Luanne could easily be interpreted as an excuse to separate the two, but if taken his journey so far into account, it becomes clear that his failures to achive anything and the realization that the situation was simply way bigger than him resulted in his worst sides coming out.

Best Heroic Character: While she killed solely characters I liked (and almost would have killed my first kid) Kaya Robinson stands out for her deeds of walking the extra mile to protect her best friend. Plus the only time she shot first was for revenge on Amy. Every other time can be seen as self-defense.

Best Villainous Character: Fisk Bateman really earned this spot with his brutal torture of Gregory Miller.
[+] Those who struggle
Cyber
Zeph Newman

U
Elizabeth Rodney (adopted from Salic) Currently on a new low in tomorrow will only get worse

SC3
Chris Tyrell
Ethan Kemp
Fabiano Vecoli
[+] Those who rest
TV3
Sofia Kowalski (adopted from SansaSaver) [30/81] - Just where... did it all went so wrong?
Chris Tyrell (adopted from Irina Ivanov) [6/81] - That was the magic of SOTF-TV.

INTL
Fabiano Vecoli [17/29] - Weird. Why hadn't he noticed this sooner?

Supers
Gary Greer-Wheatly [26/43] - I am doing bad. You?

NBRAU
Keita Iijima [37/42] - Do you think... they are really gone?
Noriko Nakagawa [13/42] - It was nothing she looked forward to.

U
Arthur "Art" Miles [13/29] - Hold on. You actually believe this whole bullshit about Survival of the Fittest?
[+] Those whose time shall come
TV Intermissions
Leland Pierpoint
Stuart "Stu" Tyler
Lucina "Lucy" Pierpoint

TV4
Claudia Harper
Shanoa Priest

SC4
Kathleen Martin
???

INTL V2
Leonie Fuchs
Leon Fuchs
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Best Innovation: I've got no idea how to seriously answer this so I'll give it to Laurence Clifford based literally entirely on the cool and hilarious format of his death scene. I'm a sucker for people playing with mediums in weird ways. There's certainly more notable examples of doing that throughout a narrative, but this particular thread left an impression on me.

Best Realism: Another one I kinda struggle with answering. I think I'll hand this to Cory Cartwright, a rather subdued kid in a version full of theatrical personalities, whose storyline takes an equally subdued (but tragic) turn with his long, slow death and eventual betrayal by Gregory Miller. I know some of this was the result of unfortunate OOC circumstances, but it works really well IC and stands out from most of the other deaths of the version, which were usually highly violent and dramatic.

Best Heroic Character: There was someone called Lianne Grassely in the version, or something? I don't know her but I've heard she's cool. Did some escape stuff and actually succeeded, had some unusual formatting that was pretty cool, was pretty compelling and easy to root for? Love it, wish I'd RP'd with her.

Best Villainous Character: I've gotta give this one to our 10 kill winner, Seo-Yun Lee. A big part of what makes her so fun and interesting is how she starts off so cold and arrogant and full of herself, and how that mindset is left in ruins by the end of her time ingame, even as vestiges of it remain right up to the fight with Gabriela. That having her ego so thoroughly crushed doesn't actually stop her from getting 10 kills, but does stop her from really relishing in it anymore, adds a wonderfully pyrrhic element to her journey that actually would've been less interesting if she'd failed. She's also been the source of some great drama for a bunch of other characters; much like the Respects, Seo-yun crosses through a lot of different plotlines, and usually leaves a bloody mark behind (even as some of them return the favor). I'm genuinely pretty eager to see how things go in the epilogue for her, especially with the likely-inevitable death of her only real ally and friend.
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dogs231
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by Dogs231 »

Best Heroic Character: Jilly for his heroic saving of the land of Hyrule.
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
[ERROR: RELATIONSHIP THREAD UNAVAILABLE.]
Appearance Tracker

O18: Alexander "Lex" Latimer - "You've got something to go home to, right? Then it's yours."
Assigned Weapon: Pistol Auto 9mm 1A, Pistol Auto 9mm 1A
Location: He prepared for the end in The Mysterious Circle - United by the Moment.
Pregame History: [ERROR: PREGAME HISTORY UNAVAILABLE.]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

SOTF: Cyber
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE]

A01: Solana "Sunny" Lucero Estelle - "—maybe I'll die. But, you know, united we stand, united we fall. Something like that, anyway. If I'm going, well, I'm going down swinging."
Designated Weapon: W-7 — Gold Silverware Set
Designated Utility: U-26 — Surveillance System
Location: She met her match and lost the game in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1/1

A18: Daniel Arista - "It ain't right for a man, you know, to die on his knees." [Adopted from Cob]
Designated Weapon: W-27 — Tennis Racket
Designated Utility: U-18 — Non-Fungible Token (NFT)
Location: He played the game like he was told in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE]

Tyler Becerra - "We're all gonna make it."
Location: He's gambling with his life in The Stage - One Room Death Game.
In-Game History: 1
[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

ES03: Cory Cartwright - "We can have power over the situation. We can defeat the game. We only need to figure out how."
Assigned Weapon: Diving Knife
Location: He was out of his depth in Jetties: Central - Armageddon Game. [47/81]
Pregame History: 1
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

S015: Noah Davis - "We're alive, and that means we still have a chance to set things right."
Gift: Finger Guns
Location: He tried his best, but came up short in The Flatlands - Pale Rider. [19/43]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE.]

B15: Shūya Nanahara - "Well, now, I'm no hero, that's understood..."
Assigned Weapon: Icepick, the Power of Rock Music!
Location: He refused to play by the rules in In-Between - The Worst Game in History. [10/42].
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
[+] CONCEPTS
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V3

Liam Black is one sick puppy - "No more rain, where's the sunshine when you need it?"
Austin White is always right - "I would very much like to see you prove me wrong."
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V4

Josh Goodman is living the dream - "For a mad scientist, imagination is the greatest weapon."
[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

Tamarisk Allen is a dead ringer - "We're friends, and friends stay together to the end, right?"
Stryker Williams is the best around - "Now, I'm going to take my first step towards greatness."
Blake Killam is made for this - "This show has been my life, from start to finish."
[+] SOTF-TV V4

Richard de la Cruz is determined to win - "Watch as I do something unimaginable."
Evan Gemstone is ready to die on this hill - "I'll send this whole structure crashing down."
[+] SOTF-U V2

Alex Wituk is vibrating with motion - "I don't know what came over me, but I was on fire with anger!"
[+] SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2

Kim Song is under watch - "두렵더라도 강해져야 합니다."
[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

Adam Ka'uhane is forgotten - "Nobody will remember me when I'm gone."
[+] OTHER

Caius Jones is a doomsayer - "The signs are clear; the end is nigh!"
Maxwell Verity is telling the truth - "Life is an equation, and numbers don't lie."
Aiden Chase is speedrunning life - "It's simple, just beat the clock."
[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

B001: Jason Dagon - "They say it's hard taking a life; they're wrong. It's the easiest thing in the world."
Assigned Weapon: IWI UZI
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Thanks to Kermit for the reminder!

Code: Select all

[b]Best Tragic Character:[/b] Whose sad and inevitable fate have you most enjoyed lamenting?

[b]Best Humorous Character:[/b] Which character made you laugh the most? (Intentional humor only, please. Be nice!)
We now head into the Shakespearean pair of questions.

For tragedy, I usually look at characters who were doomed from the start, who were dealt an especially rough hand, or who suffered without any particular element of deserving it. It's for when someone's especially destined for bad things, or for when they come so close only to have everything snatched away.

Humor is of course characters who make me laugh. This was one of the most weaponized questions in ye olde times, which is why it to this day contains a warning to only nominate intentional humor. Basically what people would do is nominate characters they didn't like to insinuate that they were jokes or that their attempts at emotional engagement were humorous over the top failures. Luckily, we've come a good way since then.
[+] My take
Best Tragic Character: Whose sad and inevitable fate have you most enjoyed lamenting? I'm going to take a perhaps slightly unconventional pick here and nominate Beau Lively. Beau was an incredibly nice guy who did his best, even if his best was kind of goofy and not always that successful, and yet all it brought him in the game was punishment and suffering. While he tried to keep his chin up, the stress of being repeatedly attacked and of knowing his friends were turning on each other wore him down to the point that he threw in the towel, but in one final cruel twist of fate the friend he convinced to do him in was pushed—partially by this moment—into turning into one of the least justified murderers in the game, adding a dark tint even to Beau's exit.

Best Humorous Character: Which character made you laugh the most? (Intentional humor only, please. Be nice!) I'm kind of tired so good thing I left myself a freebie by not picking Gustavo Thicke last time. Gus' moment of method acting is incredible, especially due to how out of place it is with the arena we ended up using for TV3. His exit is equally fun, a callback to one of the wackier moments of TV1 (and one that actually fits the current zeitgeist quite well; Vinny was ahead of the curve with the posthumous stingers). RC is one of the funniest writers on the site just due to his sheer talent for originality, and Gus is another great example of this top to bottom.
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
Applesintime
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Applesintime »

Best Heroic Character: I've been wanting to shout her out in some way, so I'm gonna go for Pippi Bloodworth. Throughout her story, all she wants to do is escape, soon hooking up with Luanne in their quest to get out. From there, things go horribly wrong as Pippi accidentally kills a guy and then runs away; her penultimate scene portrays her heroism very well, as even when confronted with Anthony and RJ fighting, her first instinct is to try and stop them, and managing to talk Anthony down. Then after a short conversation, she gets beaten to death and dumped in the ocean. I would have loved to see her go on, but even as is, her legacy continues with Luanne.

Best Villainous Character: I don't think this can go to anyone but Fisk. He's carved his way through the cast with his delightful theatrics and band of losers, and now he's all alone; paranoid, armed, and ready to kill as many people as he can. A version without Fisk's gang and indeed, his own murderous antics, would be very different, and I just also wanna shoutout Toxie for doing so well with him; he's a character I love to hate, and sometimes even feel sorry for.

Best Tragic Character: I'd been eagerly awaiting Bethan's fate for quite a while now, just to see how it all ended (and it ended with tears). Pippi did a really good job of setting up a house of cards that was doomed to fall from the second it was constructed, and I really enjoyed reading Bethan's oneshots of her running around the ship and trying not to think about how her friends were dead. Then comes her death; a betrayal from someone she thought was an ally, and then a sad moment with her teammate before she dies. RIP, you little bean.

Best Humorous Character: Bit of a sell-out but I'm gonna take a raincheck on this one; promise I'll have something for actual Toasters!
[+] Current Kids
SOTF U
P011: Charlotte "Charlie" Vandermeyer - Road Flares (x10) + BluRay Copy of John Carpenter's The Thing - is bemoaning the goddamn MREs in Beasts All Over the Shop
[+] Future Kids
Second Chances
Anna Hitchins has some totes cool ideas!

SOTF-TV
John MacMillan Jr. doesn't have much to say.
[+] Past Kids
SOTF International
O06: Deirbhile Callahan - 50 Valentines Cards - "This is my fucking life. It’s mine to live. It’s mine to fucking take, too." She resisted in Slán Abhaile. [24/29]
Intl: 1 2 3

SOTF-TV V3
BC09: Gregory Miller - Bolas - "Why?" He landed in splat. [17/81]
Sandbox: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

BC04: Anthony Golden - Fake Nautical Mask - The so-called hero. He met his fate in All The World's a Stage. [4/81]
Memories: 1
Sandbox: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

SOTF Supers
S009: Stephen Sanders - Osteokinesis - "Nobody's going to kill just because furries told us to." He went home. - Kids Like You Should Be Burning in Hell.
Supers: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Aftermath: 1 2
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Best Tragic Character: I'll give this to the duo of Kaya Robinson and Bethan Gayle. Bethan pretty quickly falls into the delusion that the game is all pretend and the deaths aren't real, and Kaya, unwilling to hurt her, helps her maintain that illusion despite the impossibility of it staying up forever. And indeed, it doesn't last, sending Bethan into a mental spiral that she only just starts bouncing back from right as she's killed. For Kaya, this saddles her with a great deal of guilt for the lie, and an equal helping of grief as she watches Bethan die right in front of her. Even as she's gotten her revenge on Bethan's killer, she's got a lot to deal with entering Final 10.

Best Humorous Character: I know this is probably an extremely basic answer but seriously, Gustavo Thicke. The sheer absurdity of his opening scene alone wins it for him, but the very next scene's also great, and even his death post's funny. It's a little tragic that he doesn't last too long, but he left quite an impression behind.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Best Tragic Character: Me and Volt because we survived and that means now we have to write epilogues

Best Humorous Character: jilly
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

Best Character Development: Me, Yona, the handler for going through this entire year of SOTF as I mentally break down over high school thank you for sticking with me I say to characters whom I've tortured and also encouraged handlers to torture lol

Best Game Impact: Jewel Evans

Best Innovation: I honestly enjoy Mariko and Jodi's formatting shenanigans.

Best Realism: Nadine- bless her soul.

Best Heroic Character: Takin' a leap here with Shoshanna and Jasper- morally unproblematic (mostly) and gone too soon.

Best Villainous Character: Now here's the thing- villany is inherently difficult to define even when we are not operating on a scale as vast and unbalanced as fiction is. With all that being said fuck Gregory and all he stands for (affectionate)

Best Tragic Character: Marion!

Best Humorous Character: Junji, or maybe Laura?
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

[b]Best Tactics:[/b] Through elimination of the competition or a solid plan for survival, who's kept you interested in their struggle to make it back home?

[b]The Sympathy Award:[/b] Which character did you feel the most for, and most want good things for?
Now we get to one of the quirkier questions: Best Tactics. The thing here is, often folks kind of fall into the trap of justifying tactics based on results—Character X lived thus they played well. From a certain point of view I suppose you can argue it, but characters surviving is based on not getting rolled, and while that is a very potent tactic OOC, it's not really something that fits neatly into IC awards in my opinion.

I'm glad that Sympathy and Empathy fall in different cycles this time, because they often get conflated. For me, Sympathy is "Oh, I feel for them," while Empathy is "Oh, I can see feeling like them.
[+] My take
Best Tactics: Through elimination of the competition or a solid plan for survival, who's kept you interested in their struggle to make it back home? So I know I just said that success doesn't justify locking down this category, but I've got to pick Luanne Grasset here. There are tales to be told eventually perhaps, but the short version is that Luanne tried an incredible amount of really creative things en route to her success, and legitimately took me by surprise a few times... which is exactly where you want to be if you're pushing against the system.

The Sympathy Award: Which character did you feel the most for, and most want good things for? All of the would-be escapees fall into this one, but I'm going to especially highlight Rhonda Rollins here because she had an especially hard and fraught run. There were so many points where it seemed like she might be able to link up with the others and push things towards a happier conclusion, but time and again something would go wrong or someone would die and she just ran out of time. But she never stopped trying.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

[b]The Empathy Award:[/b] Which character could you most easily put yourself in the shoes of?

[b]The Gone-Too-Soon Award:[/b] Which deceased character should have stuck around a little longer?
As I mentioned yesterday, I distinguish Empathy from Sympathy by focusing on a character whose thought processes I gel with, even if I don't necessarily favor a positive outcome for them.

Gone-Too-Soon tends to be tricky because it encompasses a whole bunch of characters. I usually focus on characters who were rolled out, rather than those who were sacrificed for Swaps or Heroes, because in those cases it wasn't handler choice for them to exit when they did. That's certainly not a hard and fast rule, though.
[+] My take
The Empathy Award: Which character could you most easily put yourself in the shoes of? So, very different mentalities and skillsets and such, but I find Akeno Kudo's struggle between morals and pragmatism, and her feeling pulled to help friends while at the same time knowing that doing so is against her ultimate self interests, very compelling and understandable. Fenrir has done an amazing job laying out her thought processes in a way that makes them pretty irresistible, even though she's far from a "good guy" if you zoom out a little.

The Gone-Too-Soon Award: Which deceased character should have stuck around a little longer? She made it a good long way, but I never ever got tired of Leah Hemingway and while I feel like she got a lot of mileage out of her run, I also think she could've done even more if rolls had been kinder. There are lots of great kids in TV3 who could've used some more time, but Leah remains a favorite.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Best Tactics: Emmy, because she expertly telepathically manipulated the producers into making her a mentor instead of sending her into the death game, and thereby ensured her own survival. The perfect crime....

The Sympathy Award: Mandy because she's emotionally manipulating me by wearing a dumb panda costume and im pretty sure she makes squeaky toy noises when someone squeezes her.

The Empathy Award: Which character could you most easily put yourself in the shoes of? Idk whichever ones have feet that are similarly sized to mine I guess.

The Gone-Too-Soon Award: obviously im heavily biased but pIpPiiIiIIIIiiiIi ;~~;
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Lilith

Post by Lilith »

Best tactics: my daughter Luanne

The Sympathy Award: SHOSHANNNNAAAAAAAAAH

The Empathy Awards: cluster b bitches united so Seo yun

Gone 2 soon: …GISEEEELLLEEEEEEEE
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Best Tactics: I think I'll give this to both Eric Cunningham and Akeno Kudo, for fairly similar reasons. They both had a tendency towards cold, clever pragmatism and getting the best out of any hostile encounter (most of the time). The specifics differ, of course; Akeno is more of a physical threat than Eric, who get by on sly cunning, and conversely Eric feels considerably less remorse and never takes the quasi-heroic turn Akeno does. But it's a fun parallel to draw, and seeing them strategize on the fly and throw a wrench in things is always a good read.

The Sympathy Award: People have probably heard me call Carol Hong an early favorite of mine, or at least picked up on that vibe. When your very first scene is an accidental murder and every scene thereafter is dealing with the mental fallout of that, combined with the stress of the game, you've got a pretty effective formula for sympathy. She's another kid who went out a bit early, but it was a good ride.

The Empathy Award: I'm actually kinda struggling to come up with an answer for this one so I'll do it later lol

The Gone-Too-Soon Award: I've tried to stay a little detached for these, but here I'm gonna go ahead and be totally self-indulgent. Pretty much any of the not-mine escape kids could've gotten this one, but I'm handing it to Jasper Suárez-King. He had a fun dynamic with Shoshanna and Gus, an interestingly pragmatic bent to his involvement in the escape, and was taken out far too early. At least his death scene was pretty cool, and had a significant effect on how things shook out for most involved.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

[b]The He-Had-It-Coming Award:[/b] Who best earned their (possibly still forthcoming) demise?

[b]The Destined-For-Great-Things Award:[/b] Who are you hoping to see make a big splash in the remainder of the game?
There's an interesting story behind the He-Had-It-Coming Award: the question most like this originally was "Which character would you be willing to kill yourself?" This phrasing more or less ensured that nobody ever answered it directly, and tended to provoke a lot of "Well nobody *really* deserves it..." and such. Sometimes, though, it pulled a different sort of response: what character the handler wished they'd killed in-game with one of their own characters. This could also be a little weird in how ti played out, but was a lot more fun. But yeah, a question nobody ever answers is a worthless one, so we changed it to be more likely to garner responses.

I forget if we usually remove Destined-For-Great-Things for the final Toasters, but I think it's interesting so it stays for now. Granted, there's not that much time left, but it's never too late to make a splash!
[+] My take
The He-Had-It-Coming Award: Who best earned their (possibly still forthcoming) demise? I'm going to break the letter of the question in service of the spirit and say that Maddie did an amazing job setting up Seo-yun Lee to suffer consequences for her misdeeds that aren't just death, but are in their own way similarly painful and damaging. One of the hard liens to walk with a villain is what their presumed downfall will look like, and with Seo-yun she won the battle but the war is still up in the air, as she's been devastated physically and emotionally and come to the horrible conclusion that nothing about making it out of the game will be like she thought it would.

The Destined-For-Great-Things Award: Who are you hoping to see make a big splash in the remainder of the game? So I think legitimately everyone left is great and has a lot of room to find highlights, but i'm specifically going to shout out Mary Cheung as a character who's had a largely internal and kind of quiet game that has nevertheless built up some great tension and seems primed to bubble over in fascinating and cool ways here at the end.

Return to “TV Planning/Discussion”