The Songtest Greatest Hits Thread

Appreciate good music

SOTF's own Eurovision-style song contest. Submit songs that fit the theme and get mercilessly judged on your taste in music here.
Slam

The Songtest Greatest Hits Thread

Post by Slam »

Since we're sixteen songtests in at this point, I thought it might be good fun to look back on the music that we've had shared with us through everyone's submissions and appreciate the ones that have made their way into our regular playlists.

The basic idea of this thread is to share your top selection of songs that you discovered through past songtests, as well as a little bit of detail about why they've stuck with you. It's a good chance to reshare the songs again with people viewing the threads, as well as letting people who submitted them know that their favourite tracks clicked with someone else too. It'd be neat if you could also include the original submitter/songtest number, but that's up to you.

To get the ball roling, here's my greatest hits selection:

- You're Not Here - Submitted by Inge, songtest #11 - Great guitar riffs and vocals, it's exactly my sort of lowkey but still rockin' track.
- Blumenkranz - Submitted by Fenris, songtest #11 - I love anime and I love practicing German, so this is a great combination about terrible mothers.
- Sommarfaegel - Submitted by Pippin, songtest #10 - I admit I forgot the name of this one for ages but I loved it so much I made sure to go find it again when I was putting this list together.
- still feel - Submitted by Emprexx Plush, songtest #13 - I had a lukewarm reaction to this one at first but I find it very jiveable, and that speaks volumes.
- Act 1 Skeleton Jack - Submitted by Shiola, songtest #14 - I stuck this one at the 12 spot immediately after about fifteen seconds and never looked back.
- Skeletons Having Sex on a Tin Roof - Submitted by Bikriki, songtest #14 - I absolutely hate that this one made it onto my greatest hits list but the listens don't lie. Must be experienced with video, no exceptions.
- Dance Yrself Clean - Submitted by Kermit, songtest #15 - I have talked a lot of shit about this song but damnit I can dance myself clean to it.

Now that's me out the way (as at the current songstate of affairs), let's look forward to seeing what everyone else has really enjoyed out of all these songtest. And once it's been a while and we've had a few more songtests, we can post all over again!
My V8 Relationship Thread!
[+] Dead V7 Kids
B035: LUCAS BRADY - Had Enough - 1 - 2 - 3- 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9
G002: ELISABETH "LIZZIE" LEBOWSKI - "You've been a great audience." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
Lucas Brady - Facebook!Lucas - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
Elisabeth "Lizzie" Lebowski - "My parents told me to make a good signature, so I signed a note promising I would do it later." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

I have an entire playlist for this actually, my top 3 from most songtests. Big highlights are:

Alone with the Sea: I grew up with this song and this band and it makes me really emotional. The chorus and the breakdown at the end are gorgeous.

The Wolf: This was actually a character theme for one of my favorite RPG kids. Total earworm with an incredible video.

T.H.E(The Hardest Ever): I don't feel like I really have to explain this one.

B-Line: There is a swingy, jazzy undertone to the frenetic madness on this one that I adore.

Spicy Madonna: I've been a Bradio stan since Death Parade and Spicy Madonna continues that trend.

Sommerfagel: Music box aesthetics are a huge weakness and this is one of the most effective uses of them I've ever heard.

I'm Back(to rise): The energy in this song is fantastic and I've used it for all kinds of witchy shit since this contest

Jolt: Fen can attest there's hardly a day that's gone by where I haven't sung this song at least once since I heard it, the hook is so damn catchy

Disco Tits: Sex Jams are a weird concept to me but this is pretty high up there as far as songs that come close to working as one
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

ah yes. songtest. music. i have a lot of you

if i was being honest id have more songs from some songtests and no songs from others but ive decided to just pick my favorite song per songtest some of which probably weren't actually my 12s in the relevant songtests but whatever man. also i'm only going by songs i didn't already know so none of my own songs and also no songs like the wolf or devilman no uta where they were already my shit pre-contest

1 (no theme). GRRLS - Aviva (submitted by kotori): hahaha picking the winner like a fuckin pleb. idk man its a bop and i love it it went directly onto my ivy playlist yes i have an ivy playlist
2 (no theme). Lovers In The Backseat - Scissor Sisters (submitted by Rugga): this song has become an important part of the fabric of my life and i will not elaborate on that point
3 (JUSTICE aka the abandoned songtest). Gun - CHVRCHES (submitted by i dont fuckign remember i know we all admitted what we submitted to justicetest but idr): this was the first CHVRCHES song i ever heard and now im obsessed with them so like, thank u
4 (guilty pleasures). Resonance - HOME (submitted by Pippin): haha uh i'm already breaking my own rule because i literally knew almost every single song in this round and the couple i didn't know i didn't like at all so i'm going with this one because i didn't know the actual SONG i just knew like. the meme. so i'm counting it. anyway v a p o r w a v e
5 (the 90s). Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger (submitted by Shiola): tbh theres a high chance i heard this at some point in my childhood but if i did i dont remember so its fine. anyway this isn't one of my big favorites this wasn't a great contest for me but i like it a lot it's fun
6 (sexy songs). nothing bc i didn't listen to this round and i'm not gonna listen to it just for this list lmao
7 (non-english). Spicy Madonna - BRADIO (submitted by Random): listen i loved senbonzakura and i loved oddloop but shoutout to spicy madonna for being basically the only song i listened to for a solid two weeks after that contest
8 (no theme). Kangaroo Court - Capital Cities (submitted by Kami): this was another weird fuckin round huh no theme rounds are WEIRD anyway i only listened to the first round of this one but this song is a bop and the video? iconic
9 (alphabet). The Chain - Fleetwood Mac (submitted by Rugga): lmao i obviously already knew this one but i really couldnt get into this round for the most part and this is one of my favorite songs ever so WHATEVER TO MY OWN RULES
10 (instrumentals). black paper planes- Long Distance Calling (submitted by Deamon): on the other hand this one had SO many songs i could have picked but shout out to this one for being UNDERAPPRECIATED it deserved better yall suck
11 (themes). Why We Build the Wall - Anaïs Mitchell ft. Greg Brown (Theme of Hadestown) (submitted by Paige): this was another great round (bc i ran it and im the Best at songtests) and it was very hard to resist giving it to devilman no uta even tho i already know it bc its such an eternal bop. anyway i love this song and i still havent listened to hadestown bc i suck but i SWEAR i WILL
12 (secret sangtest). Sophie Calle Private Game/Every Person Is A Pussy, Every Pussy Is A Star - Of Montreal (submitted by Paige): two paige songs in a row Collusion anyway i would have put in the water except i already knew that one. this song succeeds at the impossible feat of keeping me engaged thru 8 entire human minutes. also its basically just 2 good songs at the same time
13 (songs from the last year). Son Of Robot - Dance Gavin Dance (submitted by Ohm): i liked a Lot of stuff this round i had a bunch of options special shoutout goes out to boogs for being Redeemed but this song reminded me that one of my favorite bands from my teenage bands still existed and is in fact just making better music now
14 (skulltest). Spaceship - Kesha (submitted by Brackie): ANOTHER GOOD BUNCH OF SONGS i hate that i didnt know this one before the contest im a bad kesha stan anyway kesha is an angel this song is beautiful and made me cry more than once thanks @ obama
15 (album openers). nothing (see #6)
16 (v2 spooktest). The Last Mistake - Assemblage 23 (submitted by It Is A Mystery): spoilers re: this not being my song i guess. anyway this hits the perfect balance of being spooky as hell but also an absolute banger and i approve
"Well, Fenris, the King of Gossip. We meet again."
[+] v7
the dead:
Image[B040] Dante Valerio - Fell asleep too early.
[V7] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: None Now: [Start] Prom: [Start] Trip: [Start]
Image[G014] Apollonia "Nia" Karahalios - T-R-I-E-D.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: None Trip: [Start]
Image[B004] Axel Fontaine - Lost his place.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: [Start] Trip: [Start]
Image[G041] Ivy Langley - Together forever.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: [Start] Trip: [Start]

the living:
ImageArtem Fyodorov - Desperate.
[Meanwhile] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: [Start]
ImageZen Alicea Feliciano - On vacation!
[Meanwhile] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: [Start]
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

what up youtube its ya boi brackie and i'm here with another list of my favourite SOTF Song Contest songs from all 15 contests that are finished

12. Dance Yrself Clean - LCD Soundsystem (#15, winner, submitted by Kermit) - i'd recently gotten into LCD Soundsystem but not really beyond the point of just listening to American Dream over and over again while high so this song was such a pleasant accidental introduction into that other album or other singles or entire career they did

11. Chemicals - Oliver feat. MNDR (#2, 5th place, submitted by Cicada) - i know I'm the resident SOTF pophead and all but I'm not actually that into much electronic music besides the obvious genre-defining standouts so to see this particular song show up in Contest Numero Duo and rock my world was p great ngl

10. Blood//Water - grandson (#13, 9th place, submitted by backslash) - same deal mostly w/ Chemicals but I can't also not give love to the hardcore edge

9. Bills - LunchMoney Lewis (#4, DQ, submitted by UnPersona) - i'll never forgive Unpy for not getting this to qualify because it should have won the entire round!!!!!

8. Level Up - Ciara (#13, semi-final song, submitted by jimmydalad) - the most underrated SOTF Song Contest song ever besides all the #3 songs that never got final placements. i was singing this for /weeks/ afterwards. 5. 4. 3-2-1.

7. August 6th - mewithoutYou (#13, winner, submitted by dmboogie) - a fantastic dorian gray portrait of recognition for all the other haunted impactful aucoustic songs that never got rightful respect in their SOTF Song Contest time

6. Borders - St. Beauty (#15, 12th place, submitted by Laurels) - thanks to #6 happening I'm always for anything Janelle Monae adjacent (although it's a shame the rest of the EP isn't as good)

5. Words - Kate Miller-Heidke (#8, winner, submitted by Yugi) - one of my early babygay favourite artists who I named several v4 threads after + an album I somehow missed = bop bop bop bop bop

4. Make Me Feel - Janelle Monae (#6, 4th place, submitted by trash) - the first Janelle song I actually /got/ and my gateway into her entire discography and artist concept. also I can't believe she invented bisexuality

3. Tonight, Tonight - The Smashing Pumpkins (#5, 3rd place, submitted by Laurels) - I'd heard /of/ this song before but never the actual song so it kind of blew my goddamn mind when it hit my ears and suddenly a lot of things I'd been told of the band made sense. i now dream of alternate universes where I break this out in elimination rounds in Australian Idol and it's the turning point that propels me to win the entire competition

2. Let It Happen - Tame Impala (#12, 6th place, submitted by Cactus) - for a while I'd dismissed Tame Impala as boring whatever and the most overrated thing imported from our country since Mel Gibson but then whew boy I was in a Mood when I listened to this song somewhere between the 3rd and 12th time and realized I'd just been exposed to lanky threads instead of the entire intricate quilt

1. Waltz #2 - Elliot Smith (#1, 11th place, submitted by CrossbowPig) - one of the most haunting and affecting songs ever recorded in the entire history of music and I'll be listening to this until I leave this mortal realm

Honourable mentions:
- Inertia Creeps - Massive Attack (#6, 3rd place, submitted by MurderWeasel)
- Paranoid Android - Radiohead (#3, semi-final song, submitted by CrossbowPig)
- The Chain - Fleetwood Mac (#9, winner, submitted by Ruggahissy)
- The Ecstasy of Gold - Ennio Morricone (#10, winner, submitted by Espi)
- The Hounds - The Protomen (#1, 4th place, submitted by Yugi)
- When He Died - Lemon Demon (#14, 18th oplace, submitted by Kermit)
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Ok, I'm gonna do my favorite song from each completed contest. I'll just go in order by contest instead of any official ranking, and I won't include any songs I knew before the contest.

#1: Burn- Phillipa Soo: So I saw Hamilton a while after this contest, and now with proper context, I absolutely adore this song. Phillipa Soo is a fucking goddess and the song is so heartbreaking but powerful that it definitely went up in hindsight.
#2: Lovers in the Backseat - The Scissor Sisters: Yeah, this became mandatory driving music for me and definitely helped me see more to Scissor Sisters beyond Let's Have a Kiki. It's quite a bop.
#3: Satsified - Lin-Manuel Miranda/Renee Elise Goldsberry: Pretty much the same reasons as Burn. I'm going to make it a goal before my eventual death to be able to do the rap verse perfectly because Miranda can't even do it, and it's just a really good, emotional song to begin with. Angelica Schuyler is one of the best characters in the musical and this song is such a tour-de-force that perfectly encapsulates her.
#4: Boys - CharliXCX: I just really need a good gay pop song sometimes, and while I didn't like a lot of stuff from this contest, this was one I really loved.
#5: B-Line - Lamb: This was a song that grew on me so much I realized I underscored it after the contest ended. It's a sound I don't normally hear and it's just really fun to sing along to.
#6: Lost - Frank Ocean: I have a soft-spot for sexy R&B, and as someone who never really listened to Frank Ocean before this contest, it was a welcome find.
#7: oddloop - Frederic: I realized I had heard this band cause they did the OP to the anime Koi to Uso, and this was something I enjoyed as much as the OP as that show, although I think this song is better. And yes, I try to do the girls' dance when I'm listening to this song and no one is looking.
#8: Words - Kate Miller-Heidke: There were too many to choose from this contest, but this is a fun pop song from an artist I never heard of before this, so I welcome more of her work.
#9: I didn't have anything I loved, and everything I did love I had heard before this round, so I have to leave this round blank.
#10: Sommarfågel - Wintergatan: I just remember really enjoying this one and finding it quite peaceful.
#11: Devilman no Uta - Kensuke Ushio: I just found this song again and can't stop listening to it. As much as I want to put Anais Mitchell here, I have to put this song here.
#12: Like #9, I didn't love anything this contest that I hadn't heard before.
#13: Level Up - Ciara: It gets stuck in your head easily, and it turned out this was the perfect song to have on loop while I was doing creative writing/editing.
#14: Spaceship - Kesha: I had no idea this song existed before this contest, but I'm really coming around on Kesha, so I feel this song is a good reminder of why I like her.
#15: Magic Man - Heart: Heart is a throwback band I should listen to more. I really like their sound, and this song is super catchy and makes me feel cool when I listen to it.

I'm also going to include Honorable Mentions for songs I really liked, even songs I did know beforehand, just because some I had to be reminded of their greatness and others because I had heard them before but didn't know the name of the song/artist.

Honorable mentions:
GRRRLS - AViVA
Waltz #2 - Elliot Smith
Starálfur - Sigur Rós
Make Me Feel - Janelle Monae
Inertia Creeps - Massive Attack
Red Light Special - TLC
Disco Tits - Tove Lo
Damaged Lady - KARA
Senbonzakura - Wagakkiband
Chateau - Angus & Julia Stone
Brujas - Princess Nokia
Sæglópur - Sigur Rós
No Love - Death Grips
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
The Ecstacy of Gold - Ennio Morricone
Passion Flower- Haruomi Hosono, Shigeru Suzuki & Tatsuro Yamashita
Why We Build the Wall - Anaïs Mitchell ft. Greg Brown
Get Out - CHVRCHES
1950 - King Princess
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

I could go through the master list (and will later), but I'll shout out the things that have made my actual listening playlists on the regular that weren't there before - sans the 90s round because I liked way more of that than should be admitted in public.

Wolf Like Me - submitted by Shiola
La Mano de Lucifer - submitted by Emprexx Plush
Square Hammer - submitted by Yugikun
Ready to Die - submitted by Cicada

Also, even though I ran the contest, I think I liked about 75% of the 90s round, and I have the sneaking suspicion that almost everything Shiola has submitted has ranked between 12 and 8 for me in almost every contest. This does not surprise me, as I am actually related to him by blood.

I'll look into these more when I'm home and have a spreadsheet in front of me, but yeah.

Someone more data-inclined should do a spreadsheet that measures whose songtest choices most strongly match up with our own personal enjoyments.
[+] V7

B027 - Morgan Dragosavich: "Now come on, you have a flight to catch."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - P7 - M1 - PPr1 - PPr2 - T1 - T2 - T3

B042 - Connor Lorenzen: "You— you're gonna have to live with this for— for a long time. A long time, and I hope you do, brother. Really."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - Pr1 - PoPr1 - T1

B005 - Claudeson Bademosi: "May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 -M1 - VPS - T1

B062 - Jeff Greene: "Wait a minute, you're not Palom—"
V7: 9 - 10 - 11

G042 - Ariana Moretti: "You were always here."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - M3 - T1 - T2 - T3
[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

1: The Essay; June 2, 2015
2: The Pizza; June 6, 2015
3: The Leak; June 7, 2015
4: The Safe; June 4, 2018
5: The Call; September 19, 2015

6: Coda
7: The Secret; June 4, 2018
8: ???; June 9, 2018
9: ???; June 10, 2018
10: ???; June 10, 2018
11: ???; September 13, 2018

Ross Miller

1: Shatterday; June 9, 2018
2: I Wait on You Inside the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea; July 13, 2018 - ongoing

3: ???
4: ???
5: ???

Pregame: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - M1 - M2 - SP - Snapchat

Carl Fredericks/Steven Lorenzen: The Needs of the Many

V6 (2015)
Mrs. Ritch: Sweet Billy
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

V3: B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
V1/3: B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
V1: B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
V1: B092 - Eddie Serjeantson: Fully in charge, but not much of an arborist.
V2: B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
V1: G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
V3: B099 - John Sheppard: Went out with a bang.
V3: B122 - Ryan Atwell: Couldn't help but write a "Dear John" letter.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

I'm not limiting myself to ten or one per contest or whatever, just stuff I liked a lot or think deserves more listens. My SOTF Songtest Spotify playlist is like 70 songs long so I liked a lot more things. Anyway

Holy Diver - (Pancapples) Abandoned Justice round. I love this song a lot and it's the type of over the top 80s hair rock I dig. Plus it's about Satan so that's fun.
Empire Ants - (Crossbowpig) Themeless round. It's a Gorillaz song I never heard with a chill vibe I like.
One Night in Bangkok - (Dodd) Guilty pleasures round. I knew this song before, but I'd kind of forgotten about it and it's so goofy, I love it. The people in it are scoffing at other people for liking drugs and hookers, well, THEY HAVE MORE IMPORTANT VICES, LIKE CHESS GAMES. VERY SERIOUS CHESS GAMES. IN BANGKOK.
Most Wonderful Girl in the World - (Ohm) Guilty pleasures round. I like really crunchy industrial music like this plus it's fun to play at loud volumes or sing loudly to,

The sex theme was a gift to us because it gave me so many things I like such as
Sledgehammer (Yugi). This is another 80s pop thing I like with weirdly complicated lyrics.
Disco Tits (Brackie). The true winner of this round. I don't care what you say.
Valentine (Cicada). Underrated pop bop. I wasn't super into it at the time, but it's grown on me more after repeated listens.
Cramming for College (Jilly). This is a porn groove written for a an imaginary porn project and I love it for that, plus the waahh wahhhhh waaaahhs.
Tongue Tied (Kermit). This one is a great song and I love it extra because it got some blow back during the contest for not being super sexy, but instead being an innocent song more in tune with teenage infatuation. But guess what? A TEENAGER SUBMITTED IT. WE WERE ALL DUPED.

Foux Da Fa Fa - (Kermit) foreign languages round. This is the only comedy song I've ever liked, even though Ricky and I were forced to listen to it 75 times last year.
Brujas - (Pancapples) themeless round. I like the lofi background plus the witchy Craft vibes. I did not know witch house rap existed.
I Spy- (RC) themeless round. This sound is very upbeat and folksy and I'm a fan. I don't think a lot of other people were and that's a shame.
Lucidator - (Frozen) instrumentals round. Why didn't more people like this synthwave banger? I love synthwave.
Let It Happen - (Dodd) gifts round. It's a psychedelic groove and was my favorite from this round.
Let it Burn - (Irene) new music round. This is super cool and sounds like it's from the 70s but it's from this year.
When You Die - (CuriousBendyPerson) New music round. I still wander around singing this and if anyone ever says I'm nice I always fire back "I'M NOT THAT NICE. I'M MEAN AND I'M EVIL." which is very confusing for Ricky and I'm still not sure if he knows it's this song.
Level Up - (Jimmy) new music round. This is a treasure. It has pushed me through many workouts, it is so upbeat and deserved to go through >: I
Spaceship - (Brackie) Skull round. Like many I had sort of thought i knew what Kesha sounded like and I was really surprised by this. I'm glad the songtest forced me to give her another listen.
Kizekuyo Baby - (Kotori) album starters round. My love of Dance Yrself Clean is well documented but I really really like this song from that round as well. It's poppy and fast paced and also kind of rocky.

97 Bonnie and Clyde and Last Mistake from the spook round, but I don't know who put them in yet.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I'll just give my highlights and some honorable mentions in no particular order, all songs that I had no exposure to before they were submitted for songtests.

- Oblivion - Songtest #11, submitted by dmboogie - It's a simple J-rock song that absolutely bangs. Sounds like something that belongs in The World Ends With You instead of Final Fantasy, and if I was playing FF14 and encountered such a cool song transition I'd probably be too distracted by the awesome music and screw up the raid for everyone else.
- Cinema - Songtest #13, submitted by Pancapples - I'm just absolutely in love with those smooth synth chords. It's very ethereal in a way, I guess? I'm not sure how to describe exactly how it makes me feel but it makes me wish it wasn't only 2 minutes long.
- Sirens of Jupiter - Songtest #10, submitted by Ruggahissy - Funk. Dat sax. 'Nuff said.
- No Place in Heaven - Songtest #12, submitted by Aloha - Really vibing with that piano work. Vocal work is nice too but the piano is the real star of the show.
- Skeletons Having Sex on a Tin Roof - Songtest #14, submitted by Bikriki - This is such a bizarre song but combined with the silliness of the video I just can't help but smile and hit the repeat button.

Honorable mentions that I also cherish:
- Fire Treasure - Songtest #11, submitted by Endellion
- No Diggity - Songtest #5, submitted by Emprexx Plush
- Flashback - Songtest #13, submitted by MK Kilmarnock
- Shir Nehama - Songtest #7, submitted by Ruggahissy
- Kettering - Songtest #9, submitted by Maraoone
- Act 1 Skeleton Jack - Songtest #14, submitted by Shiola
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

INB4 I write 100 page documents again, but like anyways, I've been missing from Songtest for a hot minute and I might as well? I've missed the recent few contests, obviously, so this won't be an optimally complete list.

My criteria for making the list is the song having had/have some profound impact on the flaming trash heap that is my regular listen fodder! Not many of my 12s did make it onto this list, because songs that personally appeal to me might not have the most technical/artistic value, and vice versa.

[+] list
Sæglópur
Starálfur - Sigur Ros
(submitted by Maraoone)

So essentially, Sigur Ros in general. I honestly still don't listen to these guys that much to this day but they fill a specific niche of things I sometimes want to listen too perfectly. Orchestral without being overproduced, powerful music. This band falls right into that sweet spot between 'tells a story' and 'overwrought' (most video game music falls head first screaming into the latter category) with it's attention to detail.

Rooster - Alice in Chains (submitted by Dan)
This song reminded me grunge existed and was probably responsible for the big uptick in my amount of listening to it this year, and it got me to reconsider my previous stance on Alice in Chains being my least favorite of Seattle's famous four. Not by that much, I'd probably rank it Soundgarden > Pearl Jam > Alice in Chains == Nirvana, but it's a pretty big shift.

Damaged Lady - KARA (submitted by Brackie)
I'm not the biggest fan of K-Pop, which may be surprising to hear. I do have a shallow enough understanding of the genre, and I still listen infrequently to new comebacks and debuts this day (mostly because of more Koreaboo type friends). Damaged Lady's blown past any old favorites to become my standout of the entire genre, one I can readily return to in otherwise K-Pop free rotations. It's a damn good song with perfect structure woven between two different sounds, one harder, one softer. It's fresh and interesting while still being a bop to end bops! In contrast most K-Pop songs get the latter part right, at the cost of being too derivative and over the top to the point of being annoying.

Las Habladurias Del Mundo - Pescado Rabioso (submitted by Crossbow ParodyofCrossbownames)
Gorgeous sound design, an amazingly lo-fi song with phenomenal sonic spread. Probably the least pop song of my various takeaways from Songtest that I still keep in some form of rotation. The guitar sticks in my head whenever I give it a listen.

Tongue Tied - Grouplove (submitted by Kermit)
Dammit Kermit.

But seriously, this song was a major repeat for a while back in early spring of this year (or whenever it was that particular contest happened?). Definitely a grower. I've come to appreciate more and more how well this song sticks the landing in the structural overtures to capturing it's theme of glossy, youthful innocent love. I even unironically like the awkward rap-singing verse by the girl in the middle. Still. I think.

Sexxx Dreams - Lady Gaga (submitted by Bikriki)
This one surprised me because to be honest I had written off Artpop after Applause was a let down and the whole R. Kelly thing on Do What You Want. Realizing Lady Gaga had played well into my lane with the album's curated sound as a whole, when listening to this song, got me back into it and Artpop's quietly climbed up into a respectable position in my 'albums Lady Gaga has served' pantheon which I decorate as an altar to the gods, etc. But seriously, complextro was always an amazing electronica/EDM subgenre, I'm sad it remained fairly low key.

Wolf Like Me - TV On The Radio (submitted by Shiola)
when the moon is round and full gonna teach you tricks that'll blow your mongrel mind

Heavy grower on me. Didn't like it much in it's contest or immediately after, and then maybe a month after the contest it was one of my most played on Spotify in daily stats. The guitarist is amazing too, dude rocks it live, make me want to go out and buy all the disto pedals.

1950 - King Princess (submitted by Brackie)
ROBBED. But yeah, it's a lovely downtempo indie song produced by an up-and-comer, a good combination of traits for catching my interest in terms of songs being newly released (given that the song contest was 2018 releases, and all, that's pretty important!). It's perfect easy listening fodder wherein I'm not too guilty to be listening to it because it still has down-to-earth feel and appeal instead of being straight garbage. King Princess' aesthetic leanings are also interesting, and I've definitely been following their career since.

Country Figs - Alex Cameron (submitted by Yugikun)
The impossible combination of being a Yugi song I actually like.

But yeah, it's found a spot in my rotation for sure. Crass lyrics are occasionally off-putting, which I think was a complaint leveled against it in the contest proper? But besides that it's a very well composed song and a captivating modernization of some more classic tropes of 80s pop music (as I hear it).

Tongue - MNEK (submitted by Fenris)
Bless this song. Though TBH the album he followed up with was a bit underwhelming. But this bop is high timeless and I will be hip bumping to it for decades to come even when I'm old and have grandchildren who detest me.

Opps - Vince Staples and Yugen Blakrok (submitted by Laurels)
Four songs from one contest, apparently I really like 2018 music? Half-truth, but anyways. Literally driving beat (and I definitely prefer this to the movie version), and each rapper brought some good things to their verses though I'd say my favorites were Kendrick and Yugen by a slim margin. Yugen Blakrok's also been someone I've been following since, she has some good content on YouTube I'd recommend checking out for sure. A linchpin of my current hip-hop rotation.
V8 Vibes:
[+] Peace Only Under Liberty
Character Relation Planner! - I'll be responding to proposals and ideas in increments, please be patient!
V7 Vibes:
[+] Cicada Uses A Gun For The First Time
ImageB008, Demetri Futscher - Captain Of The USS Dekcuc - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 *
Image G018, Beryl Mahelona - Sleepyhead - 1 *
ImageG040, Camila Cañizares - Nightingale - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 *
ImageG060, Princess McQuillan - a flimsy purpose - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 *
ImageG065, Kelly Nguyen - everyone's friend - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Updated Character Appearances - Updated July 2020
Pregame Relationships
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

otherwise known as songs from here that made it onto my spotify or songs that i remember and feel vaguely positive things for

so im gonna be ordering this by the songtest that made it in. i may or may not gush over the song if i feel like it. that doesn't mean i like that song more, just that i have things to say. also it's hard finding 100+ different ways to say 'i love this' because i love all the songs in this list
[+] spoils
Songtest one (1):
To The Sea - Katzenjammer - submitted by Fenris
an honorable mention but this song introduced me to katzenjammer so fen has My Eternal Gratitude. also it's really fun, really rowdy.

Burn - Philippa Sou - submitted by Sansa
sobbing i dont even have the context for this song but the singing here is so emotional. you you you gets me every time tbh

Maemuki World 1-1 - Chroma - submitted by CondorTalon
another honorable mention, and my first semi elimination!! i felt this song deserves a lot more love than it got because it's really fun, and an interesting experience.

Breezeblocks - alt-J - submitted by kormt

Songtest 2:

Freedom - Anthony Hamilton and Elayna Boynton - submitted by NAFT
i love love love this song. the sad hopeful but still depressing aesthetic of it. it's honestly stuff like this that gets me through hard days. it lets me wallow in my own misery but tells me that This Too Will Pass

Daybreak and Fireflies - Rachie - submitted by Bowser
more of an honorable mention tbh and i'm more a fan of the japanese version, but i love the wistful atmosphere this song builds. the guitar staccato should /not/ work for this song, but somehow it does.

Songtest 3 (Justice):
Satisfied - Lin Manuel Miranda - submitted by Sansa
really good, really catchy, the modern twists it adds are really interesting.

Stamina - The Jezabels - submitted by Brackie
INTENSE SOBBING

honestly the song that inspired me to finally make this post. i'm so sad this songtest never finished because i really wanted to see how this song did. it's majestic, it's cinematic, it's art.

The Mariner's Revenge Song - The Decemberists - submitted by krmt
Dust Bowl Dance - Mumford and Sons - submitted by Fenris

Songtest 4 (Guilty Pleasures):
The Most Wonderful Girl - Lords of Acid - submitted by Ohm
I WANNA TOUCH MYSELF is taken away by police
it's honestly the perfect song for this songtest. it's so audacious, like, i wouldn't be caught dead listening to this song but it's so catchy 10/10 would get arrested again

Bills - Lunchmoney Lewis - submitted by Unpy

Songtest 5 (90s):
We Like to Party! - The Vengaboys - submitted by Brackie
WE
TO PARTY

WE LIKE
WE LIKE TO PARTY

Songtest 6 (s e x):
Sexxx Dreams - Lady Gaga - submitted by Riki
the song loses me by the last half tbh but the first half is so good. 'we're both convicted criminals of thought' is one of lady gaga's best lyrics honestly

Sex - the 1975 - submitted by pip!!!
Tongue Tied - Grouplove - submitted by blrmt

Songtest 7 (foreign songs):
oddloop - Frederic - submitted by Boogie
dances deadpan
ODOTTENAI YORU O SHIRANAI
ODOTTENAI YORU GA KINIIRINAI

Senbonzakura - Wagakkiband - submitted by Aura
more screaming in japanese
i really like the lyrics here. surprisingly dark but it works really well with the instrumentation

BOOMBAYAH - BLACKPINK - submitted by Fenris
BLACKPINK IN YOUR AREAAAAAAᵃ!

Let's Start WW3 - New World Order - submitted by Lord of Awesome
The only comedy song that I like. Hearing NWO sing 'grab em by the pussy' in unison is one of the biggest musical shocks i've had lmao. It Deserved Better

Đời - Suboi - submitted by trash
Utan Dig - Molly Sanden - submitted by Irene
99 Luftballons - Nena - submitted by Ricky

Songtest 8:
I Spy - Mikhael Paskalev - submitted by RC
really lowkey song, and idk why. it's very danceable, the music video is everything. i love the rhythm here

Chateau - Angus and Julia Stone - submitted by Brackie
this song's really wistful and i love songs that capture that emotion

Cough Syrup - Young the Giant - submitted by Katie

Songtest 9 (alphabet):
Perfect Places - Lorde - submitted by Yugi
one of my favorite songs ever and im so glad yugi nominated it his taste is semi-valid now

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac - submitted by Ruggahissy
Enchanté - Klaus Nomi - submitted by Irene
Rosenrot - Rammstein - submitted by some dude

Songtest 10 (instrumental):
Stella - Kashiwa Daisuke - submitted by Boogie
l o n g b o i
honestly a musical experience. i literally have to set aside a part of my day to properly enjoy this song, because i can't concentrate on anything else, so i don't listen to it much. but i really enjoy this song.

van - Kensuke Oshio - submitted by randomness
another semi elimination. very understated song, the skipped beats in this song add something to this song i can't really put words to. very cute and sad tbh

Mayday - Hot Sugar - submitted by Brackie
another interesting musical experience. like, idk how to describe it. the cover picture used here is perfect, but i also dont know how to put it into words.

Songtest 11 (theme theme):
Black Sheep - Metric ft Brie Larson - submitted by Kotorikun
You're Not Here - Mary Elizabeth McGlynn & Akira Yamaoka - submitted by Ohm
Suspiria Theme - Goblin - submitted by Deamon

Songtest 12 (secret santa):
No Place in Heaven - Mika - submitted by Aloha
this song is a Mood sometimes as a gayboi. like, honestly, it hits really close to home.

Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men - submitted by Fenris
pretty obvious pick since this was fen's pick for me but they chose well. i love the story this tells, and the bridge is perfect.

Songtest 13 (2018 songs):
Level Up - Ciara - submitted by Jimmydalad
LEVEL UP
LEVEL UP
LEVEL UP LEVEL UP LEVEL UP

another song That Deserved Better, how did this not make it past semis????? why does sotf have bad taste??????

Son of Robot - Dance Gavin Dance - submitted by Ohm
Flashback - Kenken and MIYAVI - submitted by Ricky
Tonya Harding (in Eb major) - Sufjan Stevens - submitted by bormt
Opps - Vince Staples and Yugen Blakrok - submitted by Laurels

Songtest 14 (skull emoji):
Spaceship - Kesha - submitted by Brackie
also a big Mood :(((((( super sad but super relatable i cri evry tim

Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance - submitted by Ares
Blue - Yoko Kanno - submitted by Laurels
Skeletons - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - submitted by Irene

Songtest 15 (album openers):
Dance Yrself Clean - LCD Soundsystem - submitted by kermt
just wait for the breakdown if nothing else (although the beginning is also really something i enjoy)

Songtest 16 (spoop/v2):
John Wayne Gacy Jr - Sufjan Stevens - submitted by mermot
oh my gooooooooOoooOooOood

...A Psychopath - Lisa Germano - submitted by Frozen
i dont listen to this song regularly but it makes me feel very disturbed. im divided over its use of an actual 911 call, but it's incredibly good at building that spooky creepy atmosphere. perfect song for this contest 10/10 would not listen to again

Songtest 17 (fight the power):
Good Cop Bad Cop - Ice Cube - submitted by Paige
i listen to this whenever im walking when i want to spite the authorities without actually doing so.
really really strong rhythm, and i love the spite and sheer anger in the lyrics. i love the rhyming here also

Schüsse in die Luft - Kraftklub - submitted by Riki

Songtest 18 (seven sins):
Mr. Brightside - The Killers - submitted by Kami
COMIN OUT OF MY CAGE AND IVE BEEN DOIN JUST FINE

Songtest 21 (grrrrl power):
Somebody - Dream Wife - submitted by Ohm
it has that super strong indie voice which should be annoying, but i somehow find it endearing. like, the voice makes it for me here.

Dance in the Dark - Lady Gaga - submitted by Cicada
i've loved this song forever. one of my favorite gaga songs. very on-theme. also 'dance in the dark' is a personal motto of mine. the pre-chorus is a particular strong point of this song.

Us - Ruby Ibarra & Co. - submitted by Pancapples
pinoy pride!!!1111oneonoenone
so impressed with how they mixed the tagalog and english and somehow made it flow. also i love its examination of identity, it goes a lot deeper than many other diaspora songs do so i really appreciate that
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

Bored in class. Will update this with old-board songtests soon, but right now I'm going to go from most recent to last contest.
[+] Songtest 21
Had some standout songs from a personal standpoint. "Hyperballad" should have most certainly done better than it did. I use this song to test the bass in headphones whenever I get a new pair. If they can't get the bass, they go in the garbage. Luckily only three headphones have failed to pass this test. I love the lyrics here. The horror of compulsion on the surface level, and the power of love on an even more surface level so surface to the point that it becomes deep.

"Los Ageless" was also a good song. The chorus is catchy as hell, and I liked the grittiness of the synthwork here though I wish it popped as much as the bridge did. Some over-production, I like when sounds give me frisson but this song does not except for the bridge.
[+] Songtest 20
Disco is not something I thought I'd enjoy, and well I mean I still don't really but there are some interesting song ideas here.

"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" is a jam. It goes pretty long but it's so catchy that I still have it stuck pretty well in my head and it's been a decent length of time since I did listen to it. I don't listen to songtest songs more than once very often, I must admit, but this one has crept up a number of times.

I'd argue against "Voyager" as a disco song but I still like it a lot. The rhythm guitar sample is pretty versatile, and the song does a very good job of sounding adventurous and happy. Wish somebody had submitted "Veridis Quo" though.

And dear god does "Shadilay" make me feel a large collection of emotions that are neither positive nor negative, and I'm, very, very, very in dearest love with the song as a whole. The singer has a very strange quality to his voice that makes me feel like I'm a kid watching a song from some PBS show or something like that there.
[+] Songtest 19

Probably my favorite songtest in recent memory. Most of the songs here I had fun listening to, rather than the abject horror that some make me feel due to my allergy to anything remotely good. Coincidentally, the last one where I did super well, I think. Or is it coincidentally?

Very little needs to be said about the majesty of "I've Seen It All," which was absolutely phenomenal, and managed to convince my girlfriend when I played it for her that yes, Thom Yorke CAN sing.

"Big Shot" is hilarious, but also very, very good. I'm very much a fan of what there is, here, but maybe I'm more of a fan of sticking it to the concept in a way that remains cordial and friendly while also playing a bit of a prank on anyone who researches the song. Surprise! It's from a porno. Oops, spoilers.

Speaking of Thom Yorke well hey hey hey here's "Exit Music (for a film)"! One of my favorite songs from OK Computer. I remember the way the bass drop tore into me the first time I heard the song. It totally ripped me apart in a way that well I've never quite been the same since. Seeing it performed live was an experience as well. The new OKNOTOK remaster of it is really cool, the vocal sounds like it is coming from over the listener's left shoulder.
[+] Songtest 18
I still don't understand the name for this song contest, and have decided to stop trying.

Sorry I didn't vote. "Plastic Love" would have taken my twelve if I had. It's so fucking catchy, dear god. Satanic catchiness here. Responsible for the short lived City Pop revival that existed exactly as long as the original upload on YouTube did.
[+] Songtest 17
This one had a couple of gems in "Blacker The Berry", which will probably go down as one of K-Dot's most poignant songs in its social critique, and "The War Is Over," basically the exact opposite to the other song but also really good for what it is and a good takeaway from this round.
[+] Songtest 16
Great concept here.

"Micolash" is a hell of a bossfight theme, as is "010 - Ghost FIght" for being stuck in my head for the rest of my goddamn life due in part to its recycling in around half of the game's bossfight themes tbh.

Second round had a couple more gems. "John Wayne Gacy Jr." is the song where I knew, upon first listening back in '15, that I was definitely a Sufjan Stevens fan. Coming off of the at the time somewhat lukewarm reaction I had to the first twoish songs on Illinois I get to this and I'm just hit with a wave the second that the word 'god' leaves his mouth, hell, maybe when the 'oh' hits actually.

"Hamburger Lady" is pretty perfect for obvious reasons. The lore surrounding this song is phenomenally horrifying.
[+] Songtest 15.5
Novel concept that was very odd to not have been done already by this point but oh well what the hey. A little lower attendance than most contests before and after it, but I think that owed to its quality in some small part. An unspeakable part. Made the hits stand out more.

"Untitled #1" was the first song that sort of stopped me in my tracks. I've made many attempts to penetrate the depths of ( ) but have been unable due to the overwhelming emotion I feel around six or seven tracks in. Eventually I'll get through it. This song is amazing, and in general the textures of it are ear candy.

"Green Light" was a surprise. Insanely catchy. Maybe the one of three good songs Lorde has ever made, come at me scrublords I'm ripped. While a little lethargic until the piano picks up the slack, once it gets in the groove it gets there. I just wish it stayed for longer.

"Breadcrumb Trail" and the album Spiderland from whence it came defined V6 for me in a way that feels painful now. Character-length songpost, fight me again scrublords breaking conventions since '99 which is a broken convention inofitself cuz I wasn't around or alive at that point awww yeaaaaaaaaa. Never has a rollercoaster ride sounded so fucking awesome, at least not since "Helter Skelter".

"Dance Yrself Clean" is a liiiiittle long, but it's still pretty phenomenal. The absolute patience of this song, compared to many indie hits from the same time, is amazing. Very remarkable.

"Prologue + Time" is a classic. I remember my little brother's short lived E.L.O. obsession being the last time that he actually liked good music. Now he just listens to klezmer and pop albums from, like, Greece. It's annoying and I wish he'd just stop already, and go back to liking stuff that doesn't keep me out of my own room.

And of course, last but certainly not the least, "Beware", still standing as a great contender for Death Grips' best song all these years later. Why is it that Death Grips album openers are always some of their strongest tracks? Between this, "Get Got," "You Might Think He Loves You For Your Money," "Giving Bad People Good Ideas", and "Death Grips is Online," you could make a really solid EP on its own.
[+] Songtest 14
I didn't participate in this one but I went through and listened to some of the songs later. "Skeletons" was pretty good, I like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs a decent amount and this was a good one to pop up. I also liked "The Man Comes Around".
[+] Songtest 13
Absolutely a theme that needs to be run again at some point. Maybe at the end of the calendar year of 2019.

"Let it Burn" and "Servants" prove that though rock is dead, it's having a hell of a party in the afterlife. Only by existing as a spirit medium or astral plane traveler are you truly experiencing music as it is meant to be listened to. The guitar sounds on "Let it Burn" is phenomenal, and it joins "Let it Happen" by Tame Impala in the pantheon of great songs starting with the words "Let it". "Servants" was a banger as well.

"still feel" has infested my eardrums for a looooong time. Very catchy, pop goodness, gets super good at the end with an awesome breakdown. If this was submitted to the disco songtest it would have won.

"Four out of FIve" is pretty great as well. Maybe not the best track on that album to have submit, I think "One Point Perspective" would have also done well, but it's probably the most catchy from it.
[+] Songtest 12
Didn't participate in this one and I regret it all the time, really cool theme that also needs to be run again.

"Sophie etc." is another ear worm, specifically the second time. Attaching such a catchy riff to such explicit lyrics was a master-stroke in some sense. Mr. of Montreal is cool.

"Let it Happen" is really great. Probably has a spot in my top 50 all time songs ever released or recorded, for certain, and there's no chance that it isn't in the top 100. The progression of this song is really great. The bass line that cuts in during the last two minutes of the song totally rent me asunder the first time I listened to it. I have a thing for really strong and gritty bass lines like this, I think. What is it with the Kevins this time!!!!!!!
[+] Recommended Reading Order
—The Heaven Panel—

Image / Image - G051: Lili Williams: 1. Kidnapped from her school trip and thrown into a horrific death game, Lili wanders the wasteland in search of her past life before it slides away from her for good.

Meanwhile 1. From Here On Out [Complete] Marie Bernstein eats ice cream with her friend and gets a text message.

Image / Image - B043: Arthur Bernstein: 2. Arthur watches the waters from the beach, knowing that their presence spells death. Seeking his sister's comfort, he takes up the spear and walks alongside another.

Meanwhile 2. Colorless [Complete] A family reunion under less than ideal circumstances. When trying to unravel the mystery of her brother's death at the hands of esoteric serial terrorists, Marie discovers more than she bargained for.

——The Earth Panel——

𝄇

Image - G026: Liberty "Bert" Wren: 3. It is happening again. To make things right, Bert must understand where things went wrong.

Image - B049: Max Rudolph: 4. The words we use to construct our realities often also make up the links in our chains. Fleeing a vision, Max builds his most elaborate prison yet.

Image - B032: Lucas Diaz: 5. A life lived through the views of others. In pursuit of revenge and his own death, Lucas Diaz interrupts the falling of many dominos.

Meanwhile 3. Because We Love You [Complete] Selections from a Google Drive, never to be logged into again.

Meanwhile 4. The Lines We Draw [Complete] In the process of collecting his brother's memories, Milo Diaz has a fitful morning.

Image - G007: Violet Schmidt: 6. The stars in the night sky do not make pictures. Breathing on both sides of the water, Violet Schmidt journeys to escape the confines of her own mind, and her reality.

Meanwhile 5. Years of Pilgrimage [???] Dana Schmidt is dreaming.

Meanwhile 6. Colorless II [Ongoing] Charlie Bernstein returns to the desert and finds it empty.

Meanwhile 7. Writing the Enigma [Ongoing] Randy Rudolph provides lodgings for Marie Bernstein as she investigates Survival of the Fittest, the city of Chattanooga, and the meaning of water.
———The Hell Panel———

𝄌
¿

[+] Other Threads
Virtual Pilgrimage: Exploring the Pregame Cities of SOTF
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Fine. The songs I liked the most, per songtest. As I fill these out, I realize that my memory concerning the earlier songtests is REALLY shoddy so this won't be much of a read for a while. None of the spoiler tabs are really worth opening until songtest 4.
[+] Contest 1
Alone with the sea - Hurt
Basically the only song that I can even remember from the original songtest outside of my own.

Chroma - Maemuki World 1-1
Oh, other than this one, I guess.
[+] Contest 2
Freedom, Django soundtrack
The earliest song that I discovered from the songtest that I still listen to.

Honoroable mention to Gas Gas Gas because I already knew it before the songtest, and it especially gets my love from a League of Legends meme video (you might know the one).
[+] Contest 3
Dustbowl Dance - Mumford & Sons
This was my 12 in the voting for the first and only round from this contest. I remember basically nothing else about it. The contest, I mean.
[+] Contest 4
Cool Patrol - Ninja Sex Party

Aaaah, the guilty pleasures songtest. Finally getting into some of the stuff I really enjoyed. This one has Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da which I was willing to give more credit than most, Mystery Skulls' Ghost which I still listen to quite frequently, and of course One Night in Bangkok... though I already knew about these songs before the contest. Still, lots of great stuff.
[+] Contest 5
I already knew about Everlong but that was easily my favorite song from this contest. My new highlights from this round, then, are:

Meet Ze Monsta - PJ Harvey
B-Line - Lamb
Closer - NIN (I may or may not have heard this one before but my awareness of it was greatly heightened after)
[+] Contest 6
I Want You - Savage Garden
When Doves Cry - Prince
Red Light Special - TLC

I'm cheating because I knew about the first two, but I didn't want TLC to be lonely. I'm sad this is the contest I decided I didn't want to try, because now I can think of some pretty good submissions.
[+] Contest 7
Soits Leben - Seiler und Speer: THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG IN THE ENTIRETY OF THE SONG CONTEST. I listen to this one frequently and show it to other people. Good job, Bikriki.
Splitter Pine - Dum Dum Boys
Senbonzakura - Wagakki Band (A cursory google search tells me it's easily the best version of this song as most of the others are middling to downright suck, so Aura picked well here.)
[+] Contest 8
Perfect Places - Lorde
Unholy Confessions - A7x
Rosenrot - Rammstein
(WIP)

Return to “Song Contests”