Clothespins on the Fuel Line

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
Jilly

Clothespins on the Fuel Line

Post by Jilly »

Abel paced around the front of the house once again, looking down on the ground with one hand clutching the platter of snickerdoodle cookies and the get well card. He stopped to look at his phone, pulling up the time superimposed over the selfie he took of himself and Amber last month on their first date a couple weeks ago to see The Fate of the Furious, the 8th film in the Fast and the Furious franchise staring the incomparable Vin Diesel, David Statham, Kurt Russell, and Dwayne AKA "The Rock" Johnson in the saga of a family formed not by blood but by their love of illegal street racing and grand theft auto. In fact this one even had a baller as fuck submarine chase sequence! In this essay, Abel will...

...Oh, right. Sorry. It was 4-ish, so someone would probably be around. He took a step forward and froze; maybe he should give his nerves a couple more minutes to pull it together.

But with each additional minute, his heart beat even faster. His palms became sweatier, and the acceptably cool mid-spring air did nothing for relief.

Abel ran his free hand through his hair and glimpsed at his black 2004 Dodge Ram's window, his anxious reflection in the translucent glass staring back at him. He needed to cut his hair soon; he let it grow out a little bit this season just to see what it was like. It was just long enough to start curling at the nape of his neck, but not long enough to really get to play around with it other than letting it run wild. It was fun, but the community verdict was that he should never do it again.

What if this wasn't even the right place? David gave him the address of both their home and the restaurant easily enough, but it also kinda felt like he didn't want Abel there. That could've just him though.

But it wasn't too late, he could just pack up and leave. Maybe no one was even home today, or he was over at the restaurant or something. Abel didn't have a real reason to be here.

He took another big breath, kicking his feet on the ground and loosening up his shoulders a bit. He was ready.

Just gonna walk up and knock on that door.

That door right there.

Any minute now.

Soon.

*knock knock knock*

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

"...Hi. Is Jonah around?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Oh, hey. Uh huh."

David had descended the stairs at the sound of someone at the front door. The two boys were the only ones home at the moment as their dad had gone to set up for the weekend dinner crowd and their mom had gone out to do some chores. He had opened the door a half foot to peak around at who was there and then opened it totally upon seeing the identity of the knocker. He scratched the back of his head and yawned, but then zeroed in discreetly on the plate.

"Cool ride," he said, looking past Abel to the car. He nodded his head at him and waved him over, a signal to come in. He didn't think Jonah would be mad about the visitor. Then again, he almost never seemed mad about anything. Or maybe he was and he just never said anything.

"I'll go ahead and take those," he said quietly, wiggling his fingers in the direction of the cookie plate before taking hold of them and hugging them close to his overalls and white t-shirt.

"THANK YOU FOR THESE WONDERFUL COOKIES, FRIEND ABEL FROM THE BASEBALL TEAM" he shouted in the direction of the upstairs bedrooms. David mimed with his index finger going up the stairs and to the left before going to the kitchen.

Up in his room Jonah heard the warning that someone was approaching. He wasn't expecting visitors and he was simultaneously warmed that someone would come see how he was, as well as cold over the fact that someone was worried about him. He sat in the middle of his enormous bed which took up about 80% of the floor space in his room and was low to the ground. He never had his own bed when he was living with his bio mom. Despite the bed being large enough to comfortably fit four bodies, he didn't spread out much and only the parts of the sheets immediately around him were disturbed. The bed was quite neat outside of the Jonah-shaped space he was occupying. His sheets were primarily black with the silver silhouettes of bears making up the pattern. On the walls were a few framed posters in glass; there was a Nine Inch Nails poster featuring a typewriter with skulls for keys, another of the same model Ford he had that served as inspiration, and a poster for the movie The Masque of Red Death with Vincent Price's haunting red face looking down.

What furniture there was seemed crowded against the walls, trying to escape the expanse of the massive bed. A bookshelf that had been spray painted silver was huddled against the far wall, holding a number of books, DVDs and CDs as well as a few dusty Hot Wheels, but thankfully the gray color didn't show dust much. On the right wall of the room was a window which let in a fair amount of light. Next to it was a silver floating shelf with three succulents on it, each with a little index card folded to make a name tag. The cards let anyone curious know the species of the succulent and their names: Nancy, Kirsty and Sally.

On the wall opposite Jonah was a small, wall-mounted television. He had to ask very hard for it and only received it on the condition that he only use it during non-family togetherness hours, meaning early morning when he was getting ready and at night past 9 p.m. He was watching The Great British Bakeoff when he heard his brother shout up that he had company. He hastily fluffed up his pillows and sat up more, straightened out his red shirt, advertising the Double R Diner from Twin Peaks, wiped his face with the back of his arm and slapped himself lightly a few times to give his face more color.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

"Thanks, man," Abel took a beat before crossing the threshold into Jonah's home. Man, it felt like Jonah and David were separated conjoined twins or something; they were always within 10 ft from each other. There was nothing wrong with that though, Abel wished he had that kind of sibling relationship. He loved his sisters, but he was admittedly a little envious of anyone with a brother like that; it just wasn't the same.

Abel didn't get to register his new surroundings as David shouted his arrival and jacked the cookies before escaping to the kitchen. Man, what a power move! Abel just nodded and went up the stairs while clutching the tacky card. After a brief detour of scouting out where the bathroom was, he followed the original instructions from David and made his way for Jonah's room.

In hindsight, this was probably the first time Abel's even seen Jonah outside of school or sports related stuff in the nearly 10 years they've known each other. If not this couldn't have been any more than just the third time, but it was certainly the first time he'd ever visited his place. Was it strange for him to do a home visit out of nowhere like this? Should he have called? What if Jonah just straight up died and Abel was gonna be axe murdered and cooked in the food at the restaurant so David and his parents can keep the secret like some no-budget horror movie?

After an eternity, Abel made it. The door was slightly ajar, and audio from some cooking show was blasting. It kinda sounded like The Great British Bakeoff, or at least something very British cooking related. He was sure that this was the room, though.

Abel reached for the handle. He paused and pulled back. He knocked on the door and gently pushed it open, stepping inside the claustrophobic room as the window doused him in late afternoon sunlight. "Hey, Jo Jonah," he took another step inside to not become prematurely blind and extended his free hand out to engage a fist bump. "Sorry for barging in; I just wanted to see how you were doing. I brought you cookies, but I guess they're David's now?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Hi, Abel!
Hi, Abel?
Hi, ABEL!
Hi.....Abel....

Jonah tried to figure out the best inflection and way to greet his teammate, he didn't want to sound like there way anything wrong.

"Hey," he decided, with a short wave. Too short to really betray anything with just the sound of his voice, not long enough to crack or waver.

"You're not barging in," he followed-up, more confident now that he'd had a warmup on the greeting.

He bit the tip of his index finger and worried that there was too much light in the room. Jonah didn't want Abel to get blinded in one eye from the window, but he also didn't feel like he could get up himself and close the blinds, and he didn't want to ask Abel to do it.

Abel offered a fist-bump and his stomach dropped a half step, but he couldn't leave him hanging. He was very conscious of the movement of lifting his arm up and sending it meet the other boy's fist with what he hopped was the right amount of force.

"O-oh, he'll give them up some time, don't worry. Mom and dad won't let him keep all of them and he wouldn't be able to eat them all before one of them gets home. One time when we were little we went to a major league game and a cotton candy vendor put his tray down near us for a second to stretch. He ate at least four before the guy noticed and then he puked pink for the next twenty minutes."

He smiled at the story, which made him forget how he felt briefly, but then he was back in his room in the afternoon sun with Abel.

Jonah was just so tired. It was more tired than he'd ever been in his life. The worst of it, which had been at the game, had passed but he still felt heavy without being sleepy.

He reached for the remote and turned the volume down a bit as the voices started to talk about the ideal recipe for popovers.

"What's up, man? I feel like you came to check on me, which is so nice, I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart, but I'm ok. I'm bummed I missed the victory party," he said with a slight smile, but tired eyes.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Jonah grazed Abel's fist with a sorry excuse of a fist bump—a clammy fist love tap, really. Abel's hand froze for a couple of seconds before he withdrew it, stepping even more into the room to avoid the sunlight like a vampire.

Jonah's anecdote bought Abel enough time to recover the poker face he had moments before. He chuckled and said in his best Hank Hill impression, "That boy ain't right, I tell you hwat." Abel didn't know a whole lot about David to be honest, but the more stories he heard about him the more sense everything made.

Abel couldn't take it anymore; when Jonah went to turn down the TV, he maneuvered around the huge ass bed in the small ass room over to the window. He peeked outside to make sure they weren't missing the Rapture and closed the blinds a little bit, just enough to not get blinded anymore. There we go, finally the perfect balance to be able to see shit.

And then he looked at Jonah. Pale, moist skin. Dark circles. Blue hair that desperately needed a brush.

"Yeah, you sure know how to make an exit. At least you got to see the win; we really needed it." He bit his lip and rubbed his fingers together.

..Oh yeah, the card! The cover was a clipping from that The Far Side strip with a simple 'Get Well Soon.' written on the inside; Abel stumbled on it while drowning in the cards aisle at the Walgreens and knew he had to get that one. Abel handed it over, it still being concealed inside the pink envelope. "Oh, I got you this, too."

"...So, uh... do you think you'll be back Monday? There's easier ways to get out of exams, I think."
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Jonah turned back to see Abel looking at the top of his head. He self-consciously raked his fingers through the tousled blue curls. It was a new addition, very recent. His friend had tried to dye his hair at home and it was a disaster. They took him to a salon and he gave the hair dresser free reign, hoping just to fix the mess of discolored, shaggy waves. Jonah supposed that they had given him what was "hip" since it seemed like there were other kids around school with this type of hair cut or this type of color. He felt very cool, if not a bit strange, with the youthful coif, but also wondered what the guys really thought.

"Mmhm," he said, a very slight red hue going over his nose at the mention of the incident. Abel held out a envelope to him. His long eyelashes fluttered, looking at the offering. He contracted his fingers into his palm briefly and then reached out to take it from Abel.

"I'm sorry about that. I really don't want anyone to worry and I-I feel silly about it."

Jonah took hold of the paper and his fingers made slight contact with Abel's much warmer digits before sliding away. He messed with his hair again as he looked down at the envelope. Jonah opened it up. His intestines tightened and he smiled. His eyes welled up just a bit and his fingers dug into the edges of the card. He existed in a state of dull, vibrating pain. It felt like he had swallowed a mournful animal and sometimes during the day, at random or because of some minor thing, it tugged on the muscles going up to his throat, it kicked the insides of his chest. No one else knew how that felt and he didn't know where he would start to explain it to someone. More importantly though, it wasn't anyone's responsibility but his to take that on, especially not someone like Abel.

He wanted to project that he was alright though he felt he was being torn apart and there was the fatigue of constantly trying to hold oneself together during that cycle of destruction. He swallowed.

"I'll be there Monday," he said, looking sternly up.

He wanted to, but sometimes he couldn't help it.

"This is very nice," he said, putting the card upright on the bedside table.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Abel's cheeks flared up as he scratched the back of his neck. "Nah man, don't feel silly. We only got room for one clown on the team and that's me."

He flinched as Jonah's icy, damp fingers brushed against his own again during the card exchange. He'd learn to not make the same mistake three times.

His half-smile waned again as Jonah struggled to even get the envelope open, let alone not even laugh at the card. Not a single emotion besides that smile, that pitiful smile like everything was all right when it clearly wasn't. That upset Abel the most.

"It's no problem," Abel said halfheartedly, biting his bottom lip. His eyes darted around and settled back on the TV as he listened to the popover talk. He never made popovers before, come to think of it; maybe he could try tomorrow and force Andy to help when he stopped by. Then again, there was a reminder on the ceiling the last time Andy had "helped" so maybe Abel would take a pass on that.

"...Great British Bakeoff, huh? I'm not—"

♫ In the past and the present and the future ♫
♫ Faith and hope and charity ♫

A tinny song played from Abel's front pocket as his phone vibrated.

♫ The heart and the brain and the body'll give you 3 ♫
♫ It's a magic num- ♫

He reached inside and tapped the power button twice, letting it ring in silence and go to voicemail. "Sorry."

What was he going to say? Now he couldn't remember.

"...I like your..." Abel looked around the room, trying to think of a topic. He settled on the succulents; they would have to do. He pointed his finger at the three houseplants. "...pants."

He winced, hoping Jonah didn't catch that.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Jonah grinned warmly hearing the song, but the expression wilted when he dismissed the call. He felt bad that he'd not answered someone just because Abel was talking to him.

He complimented and pointed at his plants and Jonah turned to them.

"Thanks. Those are my girls, Nancy, Sally and Kirsty. I got Nancy 'cause we took mom to a mother's day brunch and they were handing them out to everyone. I bought the other two at a succulents and cacti show awhile ago at The Barn nursery."

His eyes slid away from the plants he took pride in and stopped on Abel. He couldn't take those eyes, trying to be polite but holding back pity that was leaking out in his expression despite the effort. His attempt at small talk so that things wouldn't seem weird, the card, which was so sweet, stung because was Jonah really so pathetic that he required all this effort?

Jonah swung his legs out from under the bed spread and stood up quickly like he'd been spring loaded. He felt dizzy from the sudden effort but he just closed his eyes and smiled politely again.

"You should probably get out of here unless you want me to go on an extended TED talk about my plants. It was cool of you to come by, really. Tell all the guys I said 'hi' and maybe leave out the part about The Great British Bakeoff," he said, putting a hand on Abel's shoulder as if to usher him out of the room.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Oh thank God! Jonah didn't hear Abel's blunder, or maybe he just pretended to not? Either way it was a small relief, but not enough to quell his heart that's been on overdrive since he stepped through that front door.

Abel half-heartedly chuckled at Jonah's anecdote about the plants and his mother; his own mom plant memory involved more drama, comedy, and tomato plants but that's for another time.

A slimy hand gripped Abel's shoulder, sending him back to the present. His eyes left the plants and turned to the source; Jonah had gotten up. Was he trying to usher him out already? Was it that late already?

"...Yeah, I should probably get going," Abel said, pulling out his phone to check the time and the missed call. He actually was running a little behind due to his hesitation earlier. "I'll, uh, see you Monday, I guess?" He lightly jabbed Jonah's shoulder and made his way carefully past the huge ass bed back to the door.

His movements slowed. He grasped the worn brass handle and stopped, turning back to Jonah and looking straight at those blue eyes.

"Seriously, man, you sure you're okay?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Jonah looked down to hide his relief at Abel's announcement that he had other engagements to attend to. He brought his hand up and rubbed his eyes, pulling slowly at the skin, pulling back the lid of his right eye tight before letting his hand press against his temple. He felt light headed and wasn't doing great to begin with, so the sudden move to standing wasn't doing him any favors. And deep down, a pin of regret was pushed into his heart just a little at having to be borderline rude and shuffling Abel out.

The other boy gave him a quick jab to the shoulder and Jonah made an exaggerated silent "Ouch!" and clutched as his shoulder, grinning a little and looking up finally through his messy pastel blue curls. He stood up straight and watched Abel reach the door and put his hand on the handle only to turn around. Jonah tilted his head and furrowed his brows at first.

He spoke again and Jonah felt the pin push a few inches deeper. Jonah took a few steps towards the door and Abel and squeezed the fingers of his left hand with his right hand.

I'm sick.

"I'm.....just a little sick," he heard himself say.

He grabbed the back of Abel's neck and pulled it forward, bumping their foreheads together slightly forcefully.

"Mmmmm, this was all too much, man. You're trying to get me to take on your share of equipment put-away after practice? I'll make sure everything's put away for only the first week back and that's only because I scared the Hell out of everyone."

He pulled away, now with a slight pink mark on his forehead from the contact.

"I won't let you down, you'll see," he said, determined.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

The clammy chokehold caught Abel off-guard, his body tensing as Jonah pulled him in. His eyes widened; he was a deer in the headlights of love (n-no homo). He was paralyzed. He tried to interrupt Jonah, but he couldn't. All he could do was stammer until their bond finally broke leaving a pink mark near the top of his head.

Jonah's spell broke, and Abel recombobulated himself. He still didn't know what to say; his eyes darted around on their own as he scrambled for anything.

That was a lie, though. He knew exactly what he wanted to say. He just didn't know how to not come off as patronizing; he couldn't do that to someone in visible misery. But he couldn't let it go. Not anymore.

"Jonah-man, I mean..." Abel couldn't look him in the eyes, the same eyes that ghosted countless practices. He tapped away again on the door handle.

"You kinda already did." That was what Abel so desired to tell him, to just explode, just absolutely go off on the disrespect Jonah gave the game for being so foolish. He was a fool for jeopardizing his own health, and he was a fool for toying with the feelings of everyone else on the team. The comment on 'picking up' cleanup duty made him even madder, like Abel didn't volunteer for it in the first place because no one else could fucking do it right; as if someone like Max could even be trusted to put his own balls away.

He crossed paths with those eyes again. He shook his head and looked away. "...Nevermind."

His finger stopped rat-a-tat'ing. He didn't smile.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Jonah's steely gaze locked on Abel, waiting for what he wanted to tell him. A moment of silence showcased looks of what might have been suspicion and disapproval from Abel, but he broke the stalemate by saying "never mind."

Good. Good choice. Keep walking.

Jonah nodded and stepped forward, guiding Abel by the small of the back, pushing down on the handle to open the door.

"Thanks for the sweets, thanks for the card, thanks for the visit. Sorry I probably smell. See you in a few days, resting and stuff," he said in a measured way, but slightly faster than his normally deliberate and calm way of speaking.

Once he was out, Jonah closed the door behind him and fell backwards onto his huge bed, feeling like he had used up the entire day's worth of energy. He turned his head and looked out the window.

"Sorry for not seeing you out!" he called at the door.

Jonah grabbed a pillow and turned onto his side in the fetal position, smashing the pillow over his head and exhaling deeply. Abel was worried and maybe the others were too. He didn't need them to be though. They didn't need to worry over him because he was going to be fine. He could take on everything just like always. They would see.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw a blurry vision of the get well card. His mom would kill him if she knew he had ejected someone from the room like he just had.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Abel was wide-eyed as Jonah shoved him out, his arms flailing and heels screeching across the floor with barely an "uh" stuttered before Jonah slammed the door. Abel turned around and stared at the door for what felt like minutes. His hands rolled into fists as the muffled TV audio returned.

He lost his chance. That was that.

"Tch," he mumbled. "Whatever, man." He exited casually but with haste, not stopping to say goodbye to David wherever the fuck he was at.

==========================================

Abel kicked the tire and gave another look at the now blinded bedroom window before hopping in his truck. He inserted the ignition key, but rather than starting up and driving off he pressed his head against the headrest and closed his eyes. He focused on his erratic breathing, trying his best to calm down in the silence of the cab. His heart was so loud.

Shock waves vibrated out of Abel's pocket before the ringtone played again. He opened his eyes and fished for the phone, taking a look at the caller ID before answering.

"...Hey, man.

...Yeah, sorry; I got held up. I was just checking on Jonah; he-

...Yeah, he's doing all right.

...Nah, man, everything's okay.

...I'm sure. I'm just leaving now; see you in a little bit.

...I will. Okay, bye."

He hung up and threw the phone in the cup holder before turning the ignition key. The truck lit up and rumbled without a hitch. He gave one last look at the house, at the bedroom window before huffing one final time and taking off. Within a couple of seconds, he was gone.

Return to “Memories from the Past”