Despite All My Rage I Am Still Just A Beast In A Cage

Open

The Westing Park Zoo boasts habitats for animals from around the world and an elaborate guest complex including a gift shop, a concessions pavilion, and a children's play area. It also plays host to special events on holidays and other occasions throughout the year, making the zoo is a popular destination for field trips and weekend outings.
Espi

Despite All My Rage I Am Still Just A Beast In A Cage

Post by Espi »

Johnny continued from the riverfront

Johnny basically never went to the zoo. He was always busy with school, or the team, or work (his job could fuck itself with a goddamned sub). And then when he was actually free to be not miserable, he usually played Tekken, either at home or at a tourney, depending on if one was going on. But for once, it was Saturday, he had off of work, there wasn't anything going on game-wise, and he actually had the energy to do something outside his house. He liked getting out of the house, when he could bear it, so he took the opportunity.

Entry fee made him cringe (another reason he didn't come here often), but now Johnny was enjoying himself. He'd pretty much skipped straight to the mammals and between the various enclosures with those in them. Like, c'mon, the reptiles and birds were alright but they're also fucking weird. Birds were like, literally fucking dinosaurs apparently and that was cool he supposed but it didn't make a parrot not just a parrot.

It'd been a couple of hours, and now he was waiting by the tigers for the feeding. Arms crossed, he leaned on his elbows on the fence-he wasn't going to fall, and anyone who thought so was a moron-and watched the large animal. She wasn't doing much, just laying on her side in the shade, 'cause it was pretty hot out, so even Johnny had stuffed his hat into his pants pocket.

He'd had a nice day so far, so obviously now it had to get ruined because of fucking course. Now, Johnny could hear someone complaining about keeping animals in captivity. He only caught a couple of words ('cages', 'unnatural', 'cruel'). He could tell it was some middle-aged probably-mom from the voice. He turned and started walking towards the voice.

There were some ways Johnny could handle it when he got up to the source, a fat woman standing next to and even fatter woman with two toddler-looking kids hanging around their legs looking bored. He could point out the ecological benefits, how useful it was for breeding programs and behavioral studies and stuff. He could tell her that a lot of effort went into providing quality lives for the animals because who the fuck gets a degree to work at a zoo if you didn't like animals at least a little? A little naive but whatever. If he wanted to be a little snarky he could point out humans were pretty good at forcing each other to be bored and trapped their whole lives.

Instead, he stopped next to them and opened his mouth, only to catch the gaze of an employee who was passing by. She shook her head and shrugged. Johnny inhaled sharply, mouthed a silent 'bitch' to the back of the woman, and walked back to the fence. On one hand, he was glad someone else thought they were full of shit. He just wished he could shut them up without getting banned from the zoo. Not worth it.

Refusing to meet the employee's gaze, Johnny clenched his fists and stared at the beautiful animal below, idly imagining shoving that self-righteous bitch into the pit.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

((G053 Katelynne Kirkpatrick - Pregame Start))

Katelynne studied the folded map intensely, looking up periodically to make sure they were even heading in the right direction. This layout made no sense, but she was doing fine as a navigator. Kind of. Kinda hard to focus when you had an 7 year old cousin attached to one of your hands jumping up and down and spouting tiger facts like a wiki page. His enthusiasm was really cute though so that was okay, after all what kind of 7 year old boy wouldn't be head over heels about see a tiger feeding?

After what felt like three hours of walking and 108 facts about what tigers ate, their goal was in sight. "There it is!" he exclaimed, his eyes lighting up as he broke out of Katelynne's grip. Katelynne barely had time to give out a "Wait!" before he bum-rushed through the sizeable spring season Saturday crowd and ran to the exhibit. His hands gripped the fence, and his face edged as close as he could get. Katelynne just chuckled to herself before she caught up with him.

When he saw she caught up, he jumped up and down even more and pointed at the tiger resting in the shade. "See? See? Right there!"

"Yeah, Buddy." She smiled and bent down to his eye level. "She's chillin'."

She brushed the stray hairs that had fallen on her face out of the way as she rose back up. It looked like there was still some time before the feeding; there was only one other guy at the fence right next to them, probably had the same idea. Looked real familiar, though Katelynne couldn't place her finger on it. Someone from school, maybe. He seemed kinda lonely. Her cousin was in a world of his own now, and it'd be nice to talk to someone who maybe wouldn't overload her with animal facts.

She took the couple of steps over with crossed arms, eyeing her cousin periodically in case someone tried to snatch him before she worked up the nerve to talk to the kind-of acquaintance.

"...She's a real beaut, ain't she?"
Espi

Post by Espi »

Johnny was starting to cool down a little when a high-pitched voice piped up from nearby. He turned his head, poised to snap at that self-righteous employee who was hounding-

Oh. It wasn't her, it was...her. Who the fuck? She was about his age, maybe younger. Classmate? He had no idea who this chick was. He paused, his expression relaxing as he actually thought about what she'd said. Oh, she meant the tiger. That was better than like, something else at least. "Uh-huh."

Johnny checked his phone. There was still a good bit before the scheduled feeding. He didn't really want to talk to this girl, seeing as he had no clue who she was. But Johnny had found that ignoring people made them mad, and he didn't really want to deal with that. Small talk, at least until he could think of an excuse to move. After the feeding, that is.

He turned his gaze back outwards. "They're amazing animals, yeah." There was a little kid nearby idling around whatsherface. Sibling, probably. He looked really excited, so it was probably another case of 'I don't want to be here but I brought a kid who did'. But at least she wasn't bitching about it in the meantime. Fucking selfish bitches.

"Hey, do I know you?" Johnny turned back to look at her, leaning his right elbow on the fence. She was maybe familiar, but lots of people lived in Chattanooga, and he didn't even know a lot of the ones who were in his school. She was fucking tiny, but George Hunter had a lot of tiny girls in his grade, so that didn't mean much. "What school do you go to?"
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

...And then that sunnova gun went right for the phone. Katelynne hated when people did that, though maybe something was on his mind. He seemed kinda steamed already. She just returned an awkward smile at him and gave another look at her cousin locked into a staring contest with the tiger.

She jumped a bit when the boy gave her an actual reply, turning back around in time for him to ask her if the vague recognition feeling was mutual. He said something about sch-

Oh.

Ohhhhhhhh.

It hit her. She pounded a fist into her other palm and struck him with a finger gun. "Yeah! That's where I've seen ya before! I don't think we ever been in the same class, but your locker's like two down from mine. #22, right?"

...Oh, wait, that sounded creepy didn't it? She jumped from a smile to a frown and shook her head and waved her hands vigorously. "...Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a weirdo! Just somethin' I noticed."

(Nailed it!)

Anyway. She crossed her arms again and looked at the ground in silence, idly kicking the path once or twice before looking back up past the fence and at the tiger. "So... uhm...," she said, not quite catching the words before they left her mouth, "...you come here, much? The zoo?"

She cringed as the words fell out.
Espi

Post by Espi »

...What?

Johnny had no idea if this chick was near his locker. Fuck, he didn't even remember his own locker number. He knew where it was and did he need anything else? It was a weird thing to say, too, but she noticed that. Not a completely oblivious dumbass then.

"I dunno." Johnny shrugged. He honestly couldn't even be mad at this girl. Okay, he could, but like, of all the people who could have wandered up to harass him, she wasn't so bad. At least she was earnest, if stupid. No ulterior motives or whatever. Just friendly. He could like, tolerate that.

"Nah, too expensive and I'm busy a lot." Johnny shrugged again. "You're with, uh..." He looked down at the kid standing face pressed through the bars. He remembered being that little, but his fucking parents never took him to the zoo. Lucky little shit.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

'Busy a lot'? That must've been a shame, but understandable. These last couple of months let alone the last year or so had Katelynne feel like she was doing 100 on the interstate. Nice, peaceful days like today where you could stop and breathe for a sec were getting harder and harder to come by, it felt like.

"Hm?" Katelynne parried the question, turning around to what the guy was looking at. The kid currently trying to break through the fence with his face. She snorted. "Yeah, him."

She turned back around and leaned against the fence, trying to look cool even though she probably wasn't looking cool before continuing on. "His mama was gonna take him today but she got the flu pretty bad and asked me to. They were 'sposed to go for his birthday a couple weeks back but he was sick, too. I ain't complaining though, I ain't got a life and I ain't been here since before his age. So why not?"

She turned back around to her cousin, eyeing down the other tiger who started to pace around the exhibit. "Hey, Buddy, how old are you, again?" she asked.

No response.

"Buddy?"

Might as well be talkin' to a brick wall.

Katelynne just shrugged and turned back to her classmate. "He's 7. Sorry, he's kinda weird. Once he latches onto watching something the rest of the world might as well be dead."

She faced the tiger exhibit again, lightly pressing and gliding her hands onto the fence. "Think they're gonna feed em soon? That one's lookin' kinda hangry."
Espi

Post by Espi »

Eh, Johnny couldn't be that judgmental to a seven-year-old. Kid was fucking seven, probably couldn't even tie his shoes. "Yeah, I remember bein' like that." He still was sometimes, but mostly when someone was being annoying and he wanted to ignore them. Wasn't as effective as an adult, though.

He paused for a couple of seconds. "I think it'll be another few minutes?" He could probably just ignore her for now, if he wanted, but meh. She wasn't that annoying. Besides, he got the feeling she'd just keep talking to him anyway, so at least he could try to keep the conversation from getting down some weird God-knows-what path.

"So is he like your cousin, or I dunno, nephew?" Johnny didn't really have any investment, but maybe if she talked about her family, something funny would come up. Fuck if he knew. People liked bitching about relatives-he knew he did-and bitching about people who weren't there was more fun than silence. At least, it could be.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

"Mhm," Katelynne nodded, still engaged with the tiger pacing around to prep for his next meal. "Cousin. Aunt's kid, though he's like a brother."

The roaming tiger slowed down to a stop and changed course for the tigress lying in the shade. He got up next to her, lied down, and gave her a tongue bath, periodically eyeing Katelynne down like she was gonna take his girl. Pssh, as if she was a homewrecker.

It did give her a thought, though. She leaned on the fence again before speaking. "Ya ever think they know they're locked in a cage? Or do they not care, long as they get supper and a buddy?"
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

((Nona Hart with a start))

Facts: 1) Nona is afraid of people.

2) Nona is afraid of big loud animals.

3) The zoo is full of big loud animals.

4) Big loud animals can't judge you for being awkward.

Hypotheses: 1) Big loud animals should be scarier than people.

2) If Nona stops being afraid of big loud animals, she should stop being afraid of people.

3) Exposure therapy is not mad science.

Test Parameters: Nona will go to the zoo and hang out with big loud animals and eventually she will stop being afraid of people and she will never have anxiety ever again.

Results: ...inconclusive.

What Nona had forgotten in her calculations was that zoos also have people. Not in the cages, obviously. Well this one didn't but there were probably some somewhere that did...irrelevant! There were a lot of people here and they were all terrifying. However, they were marginally less terrifying than the idea of getting tipped into a pit with an angry tiger. Theoretically this should be working. Why hadn't she thought of it sooner?

Well, she had. But why hadn't she actually done it sooner?

(Because it's terrifying. Obviously.)

It had to be working though. She'd been so transfixed on the tigers that she didn't realize that two of her classmates were talking just a short distance away from her. Had they noticed her? They probably noticed her. She was being rude. It'd be ruder to interrupt them. Unless they were talking to her and she hadn't noticed. Then it'd look like she was ignoring them. If they weren't talking to her it'd look like she was stalking them though. Was she stalking them? How did she get here? What day was it? Who was she? Why was she?

"Tigers outside of captivity can roam territories as wide as hundreds of miles, they're keenly aware of the conditions they're placed under and it does long term damage to their instincts! Many species will probably never see the wild again due to the permanent warping of their psychological state!"

Wow whoever said that sounded really stressed out, she was glad it wasn't her.

Oh no it was her wasn't it?

Nona peeked out from under her hood with a blush and waved at Katelynne further down the wall. "Just uh, fun facts!"
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Espi

Post by Espi »

Cousin. Johnny didn't know his cousins. Far as he knew his were all still in Brazil, however many he had. Couldn't fucking keep track of them. Besides, wasn't like he was ever going to meet them so why bother caring about them.

He considered her question, furrowing his brow. Like, yeah, it wasn't natural, and maybe they'd be happier living in the wilds. But they'd also likely die from stuff that wouldn't get them here, and like, habitat loss, poaching, all that shit people did to them, that sucked too. Yeah it'd be nice if they could all live free in their natural homes but it'd be nice if he had a fuckton of money and a time machine. Shit's not that easy.

Still, at least it was an honest question. He didn't feel like she was trying to complain about it, which like, seriously, who did that? Before he could explain himself, though, a voice piped up, answering him with exactly who did that. Johnny turned around, glowering, arms folded. "Yeah, sure, but y'know what else messes up your instincts? Getting fucking shot and skinned and getting ground into powder for rich Chinese assholes!"

His volume started climbing. "The fuck is wrong with you? Yeah, whatever, being in a zoo getting fed and not diseased and shit, so awful. These fucking cats have it better here than most humans do in India or wherever!" Johnny stepped forward, towering over the little snot who had the fucking nerve to jab him at this exact goddamn problem again. "Let's just let all the animals here free! Not like they'd be dead in a week even without 'instinct damage'. How much do yu think a goddamn tiger is worth?! Sure, captivity's shit, whatever, but it's damn better than whatever else they'll get, unless you think we're just gonna grow back the fucking jungles. Are you stupid?"

He paused, only for a moment, then turned around. He rested his elbows on the fence again, and finished with a quiet. "Fuck off."
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Katelynne watched the guy as he pondered her question, her eyes fixated on every oily and greasy pore on his face. She almost didn't notice Nona nearby giving one of her fun facts/Nonaisms until she waved Katelynne down. Katelynne did the same, or at least tried to.

Dude just went off on her. Katelynne pulled back her hand back and took several steps back, her mouth growing agape until it dropped to the floor unhinged like a snake. She was paralyzed, looking back and forth from Nona to the dude, back to Nona and at the other zoo patrons who suddenly had all eyes on them.

Katelynne didn't know what to do. She just stared at Nona, waiting to see what she was gonna do.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Oh. Hey Johnny. Hadn't see you there. Well she did see you there but she didn't see you there because if she'd seen you there instead of seen you there then maybe instead of talking she would have:

A) Not.

B) Pretended to be a small child.

C) Ran away.

D). Thrown herself into the pit.

E) All of the above.

Mmmhmm, mmmmmmhmm, mmhmmmmmm, mentally grading and yes, the correct answer is E. Being eaten alive was way better than spending a single second being yelled at by this grumpy grumpy boy. With foresight she would have known that and just stayed out of it, but she didn't, and now he was yelling at her, and instead of jumping into the pit it would be really super great to melt out of existence on the spot! Nona had a few ways of dealing with yelling. She could shut down, she could run away, she could cry, she could vomit, she could throw herself directly into the tiger pit, she could even go for an all of the above again! That would be swell! She was experiencing Panic! Not just panic but Panic! That means what she absolutely shouldn't do was zero in on anything as an excuse to continue this engagement!

"Two thousand dollars."

People were definitely staring. She couldn't see them but she could feel it the entire world had stopped and was staring at her right this second.

"Um, for a cub. Two thousand dollars is the average black market price, I think. That's um, more of an investment than a price really though, a good taxidermist can create a specimen worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Zoos sell surplus animals to dealers all the time so it's kinda just the long-form version of poaching with a lot of torture in the middle. There's lots of studies on it, I could send you some if you want."

This was fine. They were having a conversation now. She'd decided that. That's what this was now.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Espi

Post by Espi »

Johnny stood for a little bit. Just a few seconds, taking it in.

His face flushed, turning wine-red as he gritted his teeth. Responses raced through his mind. Call her claims bullshit. Acknowledge that yeah, humans are terrible, congrats on noticing, have a goddamn sticker. Now what? Yeah, put her on the spot. She seemed like a wimpy sort. Did she have a solution or was she just content to bitch about bad stuff without bothering to fix it? Did she even care about the problem? Or was she just showing off how much shade she could throw?

He didn't say anything, though.

Johnny inhaled, hissing air through his teeth. Then, without windup, his left shoulder dropped and his right fist swung down, hard, punching the self-righteous little cunt right in the temple, his pinky pressing into her cheekbone.

Of course, as soon as he did that, an employee-the same fucking employee who told him off earlier-shouted at him and started walking towards him. Johnny stepped backwards, nearly stumbling over the other girl, before turning and running. Nobody gave chase. Who'd bother? Besides, he'd outrun anyone they sent, definitely any fatass rent-a-cop or whatever.

Johnny hung around a ways off for a bit. Nobody came for him. He considered visiting some other places while he was there, but once the feeding was over, he just left. What a goddamn waste of time.

(Johnny fucked off after that)
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Oh. Oh my God.

The dude just punched Nona. Clocked her right in the face.

Katelynne flagged down the already approaching worker as she approached Nona to try and assess the damage. "Are you okay?" her voice shook.

She looked left and right for the guy, but he was just gone. Like a tumbleweed blowing by kinda gone. Jesus... what a psychopath. That coulda been Katelynne.

But enough about herself, Nona was the one who needed attention.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Though she'd never admit it, Nona was used to emotional and verbal abuse. It sounded like her life was a lot worse than it was when you put it like that; certainly one wouldn't characterize any of her close relationships as abusive. The sort of person she was, however, invited ridicule. It encouraged talking over her instead of to her. It made even half-hearted negative comments resonate with her long after whoever said them had forgotten about them. She barely knew Johnny and had no reason to value his opinion, but even as she asserted what were in her opinion well researched indisputable facts she doubted her ability to defend them if he decided to push her again. It was humiliating, but if you could say nothing else for it at least it was a fear she understood. There were diminishing returns on it. Maybe that's why she kept pushing back. She had already worked herself up into a real bad headspace just by being here, so how much worse could he really do to her?

It was a sound hypothesis until he started moving towards her. She couldn't process what she was looking at, she'd never seen a person approach her like that before. There was an instinctual feel that was totally new, and she still hadn't put together what it meant when his fist crashed into her face.

Nona hit the ground next to the wall. Whatever came between the two impacts was lost to her. She might have fallen into someone, or they might have caught her. Someone was trying to talk to her, but whatever was being said was lost too. Her eyes were wide and glassy towards the sky. Though her mouth hung open and mixed instincts tried to push out a cry for help and a scream of fear, what came out was a whine. Not pained, though it should have been. It was confused.

She wasn't moving. If she moved, he might hit her again.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters

Return to “The Zoo”