Cinderella Step

Last-minute hubris; private.

Prom preparations, date-seeking, and anything else which concerns prom and takes place within a few days before the event goes here.
Jilly

Cinderella Step

Post by Jilly »

Red Bull: drank.

Dedicated Anime Playlist: blasting at near full volume.

Panic: definitely happening.

She never cut fabric faster in her life; now she really knew how the contestants on Project Runway felt.

"'Great going Kayla," she chastised herself as she slid the rotary cutter across the periwinkle fabric resting on the table. "'Hey, Lorenzo, why don't I be a complete dumbass and make both of our outfits for prom? Yeah, of course I can get it done in two weeks no big deal oh hoh hoh.'"

That was three weeks ago.

Fast forward to this Sunday before prom, and here she was scrambling to even get started on her own outfit. If only Declyn had invented time travel by now so she could go back in time and shoot herself in the face before agreeing to that idea. Her own idea, actually, along with her own foolishness on starting just last week but that's besides the point.

On second thought, she would probably shoot whoever decided the theme first and then herself. "Glow in the Dark" like... really? Who's still a cybergoth in the year of our lord 2018? Where would you even start besides just slapping glowstick juice on fabric?

She had to do this, though. She had to make it work.

She at least had the foresight to do Lorenzo's suit first, and it was pretty much done now besides some last touches including the second fitting which, oh God, she just really needed a miracle right about now.

Kayla paused to check her phone, accidentally almost dropping it to its doom on the concrete floor of the converted basement. Last message received 20 minutes ago. Maybe he got lost? That shouldn't be the case though, she told him to just come around the back of the house. He was here before too for the first measurements and basted fitting, so there was no way he could get lost a third time? Right?

RIGHT?

She couldn't worry about it though; worrying spent the precious few hours she still had left. She had to shelve her emotions for now or else she was gonna run out of time before Friday.

She sprinted back to the table, catching and correcting the Erika Wagner cosplay dedicated mannequin that nearly fell over in Kayla's path of destruction. Oh God, oh man, she still had to finish that too but there was no time for that now.

There was no rest for the wicked, or the stupid, or the wicked stupid.
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

[Lorenzo Tavares Prom Start]

A 2001 Saab 9-3 roared down the street blasting Avenged Sevenfold as it’s driver headbanged to the load music, lost in his own world. As he raced down the street full on belting out the lyrics to “Scream”, Lorenzo’s eyes wandered over to his dashboard to check the time. It’d been about a half an hour since he texted Kayla that he was on his way, but she’d wait a bit longer. He sent her that txt before he even started getting ready, and honestly she should be used to this by now. Three times he’d been to her house in the last three weeks and three times he’d taken his sweet time getting there. Being on time wasn’t exactly his jam. It’s not as if he did it on purpose, but he’d accepted it as part of who he was at this point. His dad always said he’d end up being late to his own funeral. What can you do? He pushed his hair out of his face with his left hand and flipped his blinker on to make the upcoming left. He should be closing in on Kayla’s place soon. He rolled up to a stop sign and quickly lit a cigarette before continuing on.

When Kayla approached him three weeks ago about the two of them going to prom together, Lorenzo was pretty surprised. Kayla was someone he knew, sure, but it wasn’t as if they were very close or anything. They had a few friends in common and often found themselves in the same social group, but he wouldn’t really call them friends. More like casually friendly acquaintances. But hey, going with her wasn’t a bad deal. His parents would have been pretty miffed if he didn’t have someone for them to take prom pictures with, and Kayla was a pretty girl, so they’d look pretty damn good together. Plus he didn’t even have to pay for a suit because she offered to make their prom outfits herself. And from what he’d seen so far she was doing an awesome job. So he really had no complaints. And plus, once they got to prom, they were kinda just gonna do their own thing, which was perfect, because Lorenzo was definitely getting laid at prom. Even better if it was with someone else’s date and he caused some drama. What could he say, he lived for the thrill. He took a long drag of his cigarette and flicked the ashes out the window.

He was on her street now, so he scanned the area for her house and quickly pulled up in front. He grabbed his keys and his smokes, hopped out of the car and made sure to lock it behind him. He took one last drag before dropping the butt of his cigarette in the street and stomping it out with his boot. He was dressed pretty casual today. Some black skinny jeans, black boots with a zipper up the sides, and a black hoodie with no shirt underneath. He was here for a fitting after all, so the less he had to take off the better. He made his way around to the back of her house and walked up to the basement access door. He cleared his throat and calmly rapped the door a few times with his knuckles.

“Yo, Kayla! Open the door!”
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V8 Kids Lined Up To Die
Sebastian Odegaard - Playing The Leading Man
Yoona Lee - Rejecting Society
Chanel Andersson-Joseph - Changing Her Aesthetic
Marc Hines - Lazer-Focused on the Future
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

ImageLorenzo Tavares B03 - DEAD
Pregame:1 2 3 4 5 Memories:1 2 3 4 Prom: 1 2 3 4 Trip: 1
Island: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
ImageGina Petrov G43 - DEAD
Pregame: 1 2 3 4 Memories: 1 2 Prom: 1 2 Trip: 1
Island: 1 2 3
ImageJackson Sullivan B36 - DEAD
Pregame: 1 2 3 4 5 Memories: 1 Prom: 1 2 Trip: 1
Island: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ImageAmelia Fischer G34 - DEAD
Pregame: 1 Memories: 1 2 Prom: 1 2 Trip: 1
Island: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

A rapping at the door threw Kayla off her groove. Was that Lorenzo?

Oh, nevermind. Yeah, it was him.

...Oh fuck, it was him. "Just a minute!" she shouted back, barely audible from the nexus confined in her basement.

She looked around; looked at her hands, the half-cut fabric on the table, the kind-of-complete muslin base mounted on the other mannequin. He couldn't see her like this; he couldn't know she was nowhere near done on her own dress.

She had to get rid of the evidence. She slapped the sheet on top of the mannequin and shoved that shit into the linen closet. She'd deal with his probable questions later, but for now she took a moment to breathe.

Just breathe.

Breathe.

She turned down the music to an acceptable murmur, wiped the sweat from her forehead and walked to the door. She undid the lock and opened the door, revealing herself to her guest.

"Yo," she said casually, or at least tried to. With the lack of sleep over the last two days combined with her last meal being dinner yesterday, she probably looked like a crazy person. She needed to try to keep it together until Lorenzo left.
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

As Lorenzo knocked on the door, he could barely make out a response from behind it. This response was soon accompanied by a lot of movement and shuffling, almost drowned out by the loud poppy music seeping out from behind the door. Lorenzo raised an eyebrow in confusion and curiosity, and raised his hand to knock again, but before he had the chance the door swung open to reveal a very disheveled Kayla. Both of Lorenzo’s eyebrows now flew to the top of his head in shock as he looked over his prom date. She looked like she hadn’t slept in a week if those under-eye bags were any clue, and she was pretty much drenched in sweat. Lorenzo tried his best to smile at her, but it probably looked more concerned than happy to see the girl.

“Yo yourself.” He began slowly. “Kayla you look like you just ran a damn marathon. You good girl?” He asked her as he followed her into the basement.

The happy j-pop music was down to a more reasonable volume now, so at least that wasn’t kicking at his eardrums with a pair of steel-toe boots. His eyes scanned around the basement, and it looked as though it had been tidied up in a hurry. He turned to look at her again and to be honest she looked sort of manic. Again he smiled shakily at the girl and scrunched his nose in thought. He let his eyes wander the room again, and looked to Kayla’s obviously exhausted body language, and quickly put two and two together.

“So, I’m gonna throw out a guess here, but I'm gonna assume that making our outfits for prom was a bit harder than you thought huh?” He stepped closer to the girl and put his hand on her very damp with sweat shoulder. “Not gonna lie, you look like shit girl. Like you have crazy eyes right now something fierce.”
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

"Uhh, yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Kayla laughed nervously, her eyes blinking in an abnormally fast rhythm and her mouth framed in a everything-is-okay-but-not-really smile.

Kayla's body followed Lorenzo's eyes as he scanned the room, trying her best to physically block him from getting a good look. It was a good plan; would've been better if he didn't have a good half foot of height on her.

He firmly gripped her shoulder as another cold bead of sweat ran down her forehead. Shit, he was already onto her.

"No... I, uh...," she said as her brain went into overdrive thinking of an excuse in the precious half a second she bought. She couldn't outright lie completely; Lorenzo was too good of a bullshit detector, which was one of her favorite things about him but now wasn't the time to think about their relationship. But if she told the truth, he'd definitely be mad at her for not having her own shit together.

Half-truth it was. A half-truth with a playful tease, even; that'd surely work, or at least throw him off to get more time for a suitable excuse. Right now Kayla was fine with either.

"I am, uhm, just feeling...," she said while resting her arm against the jamb on the opposite side of her to barricade Lorenzo out, "...really inspired and doing... alterations to my dress. I, uh, gotta bring out the big guns if I'm ever gonna top a bad bitch like yourself."

Whew, good job team; now if only she wasn't paralyzed with fear.
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

“I mean, if you say so.” Lorenzo shrugged and smirked at the shorter girl. “But you’re right, we both have to look fine as fuck on prom night. I plan on making some mouths water.”

He patted her on the shoulder and spun away from her walking towards a nearby chair and plopping himself down in it. She was obviously trying to hide something, but that was her business. Lorenzo wasn’t too concerned. Kayla was already putting a shit ton of effort into this prom, so he didn’t feel like it would be fair of him to add any more stress onto her plate by being too nosy. After all, the only thing he was doing prom-wise was driving them there. Shit, that reminded him he should probably get his car washed and clean the inside up a bit. And probably spray it down so it didn’t stink of cigarettes and weed. He’d try to take care of at least one of those problems after he was done here. He sat up straight in the chair and unzipped his hoodie. It was like a damn boiler room down here, he could feel himself sweating like a hooker in church. He looked at Kayla and pointed at his body.

“So… do you want me to start getting undressed? Where’s the tux?” He asked as he let the hoodie fall from his shoulders onto the back of the chair, leaving his bare torso to cool just slightly from the stuffiness of the fabric.

“I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed by how quick you threw this all together Kayla.”
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Lorenzo spun Kayla around and barged in anyway. It seemed like he took that excuse well, at least. Ego stroking was usually the way to go for him; if anything, he was consistent.

He plopped down on the armchair that was down here for some reason. He unzipped his hoodie, showing his bare chest to the world. Maybe he was more like a consistent thot.

Oh right, the tux. The reason Lorenzo was even here in the first place. And Lorenzo with his own ego stroking; Kayla's mood was getting more stable already. Or maybe that was just her third wind talking.

"Yeah, sorry," Kayla closed and locked the exterior basement door. "AC down here's been busted for the last couple of days. My dad wants to take a look at it but he's been gone because of work." She moved to the clothes rack and fished for the two bags marked 'Lorenzo'. "If you want, we can move upstairs? I'm the only one here today." She raised the two garment bags and motioned towards the staircase.
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

“Yeah, that sounds good, let’s go upstairs. I’m all kinds of sweaty down here, and i don't wanna ruin your hard work by sweating all over it.” Lorenzo grinned at Kayla and sprung up from the chair, picking up his hoodie in the process and following the girl up to the main floor of the house.

The change in temperature from the basement to the main floor was huge, and Lorenzo felt his skin goose-bump a bit as it entered the much cooler air. He wiped the sweat from his face with the back of his hand and wiped it on his jeans, but he still felt pretty damp all around. He tapped the girl on her shoulder as he followed her to try and get her attention. “Yo, you think i could get a towel? Just to kinda dry off a bit. I feel like i just came out of a sauna.” He laughed and grinned.

The hallway they were in had lots of family photos, and Lorenzo being as nosy as he was, gave each one a bit of attention. He didn’t realize she had such a big family, she had more siblings than he did by the looks of things, too. Lorenzo didn’t really get people with small families. Life must be so boring like that. He wouldn’t trade his giant mess of a family for the world, and he was sure Kayla probably felt the same way. From the corner of his eye he caught a small form creeping close by, and when he turned he found an adorable little tabby staring at him. He slowly crouched down and reached out his hand to the little feline, beckoning it closer so he could pet it. The cat looked at him with mild interest and walked slowly closer, stretching out its body to get just close enough to sniff him, before coiling back in on itself and sprinting to hide under a side table, never taking it’s eyes off Lorenzo. He chuckled in response and, still squatting, reached out for the cat again.

“C’mere kitty, I won't hurt you!”
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Kayla shrugged and started up the stairs. "You wouldn't be the first."

She was sweating, but internally she was preaching hallelujah as the farther from the shame closet Lorenzo was the better. Now she just had to keep the ruse up.

Going up the stairs to the first floor was like stepping into Narnia, the sweet melody of running AC being music to Kayla's ears and to her skin. She forgot so much of the outside world after isolating herself in her dungeon since Friday.

But there was no time for enjoying the concert. They were on a time crunch.

A tap on the shoulder; Kayla stopped and turned around as Lorenzo requested a towel. That probably was a good idea; last thing she wanted was for his suit to smell like weed and BO even before they showed up for prom. "Yeah, sure. Just meet me in my room; it's right past the den. You can't miss it," she nodded her head toward the other end of the hall before ducking into the common bathroom, separating herself momentarily from Lorenzo.

"Towels, towels, where you at?" she singsonged under her breath as she tore apart the bathroom closet. Wasn't it May's turn to clean? Ugh, you can't trust that girl with anything.

She finally found a couple of washcloths trapped under a set of toilet paper rolls. She grabbed them and a half-used can of spray deodorant hanging around on the cluttered sink. Sure would be nice to have your own bathroom instead of having to share with too many damn kids in one house.

Kayla exited the bathroom just in time to see Lorenzo absolutely absorbed with Felicia who was equally as absorbed but from a safe distance. Kayla's mouth turned into a half-smile; it was a rare Lorenzo moment, or at least one that she could recall herself. Strange to see, but not in a bad way. It was more humbling if anything.

She sneaked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder. "All right, c'mon girl; focus. We're on a mission here." She stepped past him and continued leading him to her bedroom, presenting him with the clothes bags and toiletries at the door. "Lemme know when you're ready."
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

Lorenzo jumped a bit when Kayla came up behind him. He was so focused on trying to get the cat to let him pet it, he’d forgotten that he was here for a reason. He rubbed the back of his neck with his right hand and grinned up at Kayla as he rose from his crouched position. It was a bit embarrassing to be caught like that, but what could he say, he really liked cats. As he followed Kayla to her room he took another look at the small feline staring at him from under a chair and pouted slightly. He’d definitely pet the shit out of that cat before he left. When they reached Kayla’s room she all but shoved the clothing bags, washcloths and a can of deodorant into his arms and hurried him into the room to change. Lorenzo couldn’t help but laugh at her rushed antics.

“Alright already, I’ll get dressed. Calm down bitch.” He laughed and shut the door behind him as he walked into her room.

Lorenzo dumped his hoodie, the deodorant, and the washcloths on Kayla’s bed and carefully laid the clothing bags down beside them. All he needed was to accidentally ruin the outfit Kayla had been working so hard on and have her kill him before they even GOT to prom. He quickly wiped away what sweat was left on his upper body with the cloths and sprayed some of the deodorant she’d been kind enough to supply under his arms just to feel extra fresh. With that out of the way, he unzipped and kicked off his boots. Lorenzo unbuttoned his jeans and slipped out of them, now just in his bright pink briefs and his socks.

He unzipped the first bag and pulled out the shirt and jacket. He slipped the black button-down on and fully buttoned it up. The second two buttons from the top were the only white buttons, as opposed to the rest of the shirt’s black buttons, making them stand out nicely. Next he unzipped the bag with his pants and shoes. He pulled out the skinny periwinkle blue pants and carefully stepped into them, tucking his button-down in as he pulled them up, quickly buttoning the pants shut and looping the black belt while everything was still tightly tucked in. He specifically made sure to wear his no-show socks, and slipped the black loafers he’d bought under Kayla’s direction onto his feet over them. So far so good. Next he took the bow-tie, same color as the pants, and fastened it under his collar. Lorenzo took care to not make it too tight, so he could still breathe and move with the stuffy thing on. Finally he grabbed the jacket, probably the best part of the whole outfit as far as he was concerned. Kayla really put some work in for him, and he really appreciated it. The Jacket was button-less, meant to be left open, and perfectly fitted to his body. The color of the fabric was identical to the pants and bow-tie, but with a really sexy black silk lapel, and black pocket liners. He felt like a damn model in this get-up.Once he felt everything was in place, he walked over to the door and opened it.

“Well, how do I look?”
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

"Hey, I'm the one with the scissors, and I'm not afraid to use 'em. Hop to it," Kayla teased as Lorenzo closed the door and got changed.

Now it was just the waiting game. Kayla reached down to pull out her pho—shit, it's still in the basement. By the time she made it down there and back Lorenzo'd probably be done, but eh. Fuck it; it was too far away. She would just have to stand out here like a street urchin selling matches.

She kicked her heel against the wood floor, taking in the soft thud of her sock-shelled heel pounding on the ground. As if it were a siren call, Felicia resurfaced from under the side table with a soft meow. She approached Kayla and rubbed against her leg. And the purring began.

Kayla picked her up as Felicia meowed again and cupped the cat on her shoulder. More whisker and ear rubs were to be had on Kayla's neck and cheek. Kayla returned these rubs with a few ear pets of her own, rocking the cat gently like a newborn.

"What do you think?" Kayla whispered to the cat. "Think he'll like it?"

"Mrow."

"Yeah, he better if he knows what's good for 'em." She chuckled and snuggled with the kitty. Then a sigh. "Maybe I should just tell him now?"

Another meow. It was tough being a cat.

The handle finally jiggled. Kayla quickly lowered to the floor and gently pushed Felicia off. She stood upright and brushed off the gray hairs on her shirt just in time for Lorenzo to reveal himself.

Kayla's eyes frisked him from head to toe. The jacket. The shirt. The bowtie. The pants. The belt. Even the shoes.

Wow. Just wow.

"You...," she finally said, unsure of what exact words she could even use to begin going off. "Dude, you look... wow."

Her eyes started welling up, but she willed them to cease. Now was not the time for emotions; it was the time for business. She snatched his hand and corralled him back into her room. She grabbed the measuring tape off of the work desk, led him over to the floor mirror, faced him.

"How does it feel?" she said, her hands passing over the jacket and slacks. "The pants look a little long, but I can fix that; way easier than the other way around."
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

Lorenzo grinned as Kayla gave him the once over. He honestly hoped he looked as good as she thought he would when she was making this unbelievably awesome tux. She put in some real work on his outfit, and it really showed. Lorenzo felt like sex on a stick, not that he didn’t normally, but this was feeling was multiplied by about one thousand. If his tux looked this good, he could only imagine how awesome her dress must have been. The two of them were going to make everyone at that stupid prom drop their jaws and wish they were them. Fuck yeah. Plus, looking this good was bound to get him laid that night, and that’s always something to look forward to. Kayla grabbed his hand and shuffled him over to the mirror in her room, asking how the tux felt.

“Honestly, it feels amazing. I’ve got lots of movement, and the fabric is super comfy.” He moved his upper body and arms around as he spoke, showing her his range of motion. “Yeah the pants feel a bit long, but otherwise I’d say you made a masterpiece! Like damn, if I wasn’t me, I’d totally fuck me.” He laughed as he checked himself out in the mirror, winking at his reflection and posing ever-so-slightly.

“Kayla, if your dress is anything like this tux we’re gonna be the hottest duo there. For sure.” He grinned at her. “Where is your dress anyway? Go put it on, I wanna see how hot we look together.”
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Kayla's blood pressure dropped several points as she watched Narcissus admire himself. He was a clown, but he was her clown. And they were gonna outclown the other clowns at prom. Especially that Gretchen Kirkpatrick.

"All right, good," she bent over with her tape, pressing it against his legs. "Hold still for a sec." She got her measurement and moved to the other side.

And then Lorenzo dropped the bombshell. He wanted to see the dress. Kayla fumbled and dropped the tape.

Here we go. This was it. She was a dead bitch walking. Unless...

It was time for the rapid fire question round.

She nervously laughed. "Don't you know the groom's not supposed to see the dress before the wedding?" Pause. Back to getting the second measurement. "Don't worry, we'll be the baddest bitches there." She looked up at him and met his eyes, her fear hopefully not coming through. "Did you know your right leg is shorter than the other?"
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

Lorenzo did his best to keep still as Kayla continued to do her measurements on him. He heard something clutter to the ground after he posed his question to her, and glanced down to see her hurrying to pick up the dropped measuring tape. She awkwardly laughed and made a bad joke about the groom not seeing the bride before the wedding. Lorenzo raised an eyebrow at her, but said nothing. If she just didn’t want him to see the dress yet then she should just say that. No need to beat around the bush. It was probably for the best. If both of them were all put together he would be hard pressed not to snap a few pics and post them online as previews for prom. Kayla probably just wanted to keep her work a secret till the big day. He could accept that. Something was super fishy about the dress situation though, and he really couldn’t put his finger on what. His bullshit sensors were going off in his head. He was shaken out of his thought process however, when Kayla told him one of his legs was shorter than the other.

“What?!” He exclaimed and lifted his left leg to try and see if there was a noticeable difference from his right. “Like by how much? Is that normal? What the hell?”

Lorenzo frantically kept twisting and turning his body and lifting his legs trying to get a look at what she was talking about. Because of all this motion, he started to lose his balance and fell backwards, landing on his ass and knocking Kayla over in the process.

“Oh shit. My bad.”
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Kayla flinched as Lorenzo freaked out about his stump leg. "Woah, hey," she commanded and grabbed his leg, trying to calm and pin him back down before he could kick her like a horse.

And then Lorenzo fell. He stumbled and fell on Kayla. And she went right with him, her arm reaching out for the side table and knocking it over with the lamp and other random crap onto the wood floor below.

The house violently shook as the duo slammed to the ground. Nails clacking on the ground sounded from upstairs as Charlie loudly barked and rushed for what was seemingly the stairs to check out the ruckus.

"Hey, Lorenzo," Kayla said as her body laid splayed on the floor, "can you maybe get off of me?"

Her everything hurt.

Return to “Before Prom”