ShottemBalls Nii

Dawn of the First Day

The lighthouse stands on the easternmost point of the island, helping guide ships to the harbor. The lighthouse itself is tall, with a narrow, spiraling staircase, and offers a good view of the surrounding area. At the base is also a series of rooms with living facilities for the caretakers, so it's one of the places outside the residential district that can offer a bed and cooking facilities.

Moderator: BRAU2 Director

Aura

Post by Aura »

Hirono raised an eyebrow as she kept a firm grip on Takaguchi's collar. Little bastard wouldn't even meet her eye, which didn't impress her too much. Damn, if he couldn't even look her in the eye, than what the hell could she really expect out of him.

Then he came out with a proposal, and she probably couldn't have been more skeptical about it if she tried. Making people feel safe? Yeah, he was doing a fucking great job of that so far. Yoshimi left running scared, and Niida was fucking dead. If Hirono stuck around for herself, she's probably lose an arm or something. Not a great track record. And if Takaguchi wanted people to feel safe, then he should probably realize that a shrimpy-ass guy hanging out near a bloodstain wasn't going to do the trick for most people.

She knew that Takaguchi was dreaming when he said that Yoshimi might come back. Hirono knew her way better than he did, and he was pretty sure that Yoshimi wouldn't be interested in coming back after a weird experience like what went down between her and Takaguchi. Yoshimi was definitely way too cautious for that. Hirono didn't know what Takaguchi was hoping for, but she had her doubts that he would achieve it.

"Safe?" Hirono's skepticism was very thick. "Lemme be honest with you, Takaguchi. What the hell do you have to offer that'll make me think staying here is anywhere close to safe?"
Slam

Post by Slam »

Shimizu-san was right. As much as he wanted to keep everyone together so they could come up with a plan, there wasn’t a lot of reason for her to trust him. He had already admitted to sexually harassing her best friend and castrating another one of their pals. Not exactly Mr. Reliable, was he?

“You’re right, I don’t.” he admitted, smile faltering in shame. “I don’t want to think it’s dangerous out there, I want to think our friends wouldn’t hurt anyone. But Niida-san already died because of how careless I am. How stupid I am. I don’t blame you for thinking that I might do something really stupid again.”

The collar kept pulling into his neck, Yuichiro pulled up on to his tip toes by the taller Hirono. It was starting to hurt, but that was justice for you. While his suspense had been overwritten by his own guilt, he wanted nothing more for the uncomfortable moment to pass.

“It’s OK, Shimizu-san, I get why you don’t want to stay. I wouldn’t want to stay with me right now either.”

He offered an resigned, self-deprecating smile. Maybe it had been good that he’d been forced to confront his mistake. This was what happened when you blew people’s testicles off, after all. Face your demons, be made to admit what a pervy jerk you are. Better to be honest with yourself than live in denial.

“Before you go, can I at least give you something? It’s not something that makes this place safe, but maybe it can help you while you’re looking for Yahagi-san.

“Please? I know I messed up, but I’d like to think I could at least do something for you.”
Second Chances 3
Lucas Brady - Ultra-Premium Grade - 1

Nu-BRAU
B13: Yuichiro Takiguchi - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11

SOTF: Supers
S028: Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] pregame
Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hirono retained a skeptical approach with Takaguchi. He had already bounced between a harmless geek, to a killer, to a creep in her eyes, and that was just in the past five minutes. At this point, she was primarily taking comfort in her physical advantage over him. She was taller and stronger, and she was pretty sure that he was the type to start running after one punch to the face. Or at least he would be if he hadn't already admitted that he had a gun.

She already had more than enough information to know what a fucking mess this island was, and Takaguchi had already built up way too much sketchiness for her to trust him without a lot of conditions. He had blood on his hands. He'd already admitted it, and he couldn't try to weasel his way out of it now, and his little incident with Yoshimi only put him further on Hirono's shit list. She was pretty sure she had the leverage right now, but that could change real fast.

"Hmm?" She gave a quizzical grunt in response to Takaguchi's offer. For the sounds of things, he was willing to let he leave, which was a plus. But even with the seemingly honest intent of the statement, she studied his face to see if he had a tell. For all she knew, he would shoot her in the back as soon as she turned around. Hirono fully planned on getting out of there, but she didn't want to give him the upper hand for even a second while she was still in the lighthouse.

Hirono's hand released Tagaguchi's collar, letting him back on his feet. "Do what?" She asked brusquely. She may not have had her hands on Takaguchi anymore, but her eyes were still trained on him. She waited for his next move, seeing if she could have to cut and run. In a literal sense, if necessary.
Slam

Post by Slam »

“Ah, if you give me a second.” He replied, already turning towards the stairs. “I left it up in the bedroom, hang on.”

He moved quickly, before she had a chance to stop him or grab him by the neck again. His legs were fuelled by excited energy, keen for the opportunity to do something to actually help someone for a change. He wasn’t sure if it was a good idea, or if he’d regret parting with it so soon, but it was the best idea he’d had so far. Something had to work eventually, right?

Within moments he was halfway up the stairs, heading for the bedroom, the goods locked inside waiting for him.
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hirono watched Takaguchi dash off, ascending the stairs before she could even get a word out. For such a shrimpy little guy, he could move pretty quick. She wondered what could've made him so excited to go from practically whimpering before her to running off like a kid that just ate a bucket of sugar.

It took her less than a minute of thinking before a realization hit her like a truck. He had a fucking gun, and he had already used it before. Once she remembered that, her own thoughts started moving a mile a minute. Was he just baiting her all this time? Was he gonna try to get revenge for her roughing him up a bit just now? All of a sudden, Hirono was feeling very, very unsafe in the lighthouse.

She hadn't been keeping track of how long Takaguchi had been upstairs. Was he already on his way back down? If he came down and saw her trying to leave, then he could just shoot her in the back and she couldn't do a thing about it. With panic and uncertainty rising, she ducked behind a table, the closest thing she could find to half-decent cover, and waited with her knife at the ready. If he was trying to trick her, then she wasn't going down without a fight.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Yuichiro held the goods in his hands, cradling it with well-deserved care. Was it the right thing to give this to Shimizu-san? Who knew what would happen to it afterwards, or what this could lead to. But he didn’t want her to leave empty handed, thinking that coming here had just been a waste of time. He didn’t want her to leave thinking that he was just some pervy murderer, who had no qualms about perversely murdering again. If this token gesture was enough to make her think he wasn't a complete monster, it would be worth it.

When he returned downstairs however, gift in hand, the room was empty. An empty entrance grinned back at him. Too late, Yuichiro.

“Shimizu-san?” He called out. Nothing.

Had she already left? Had she thought better of waiting for him to come back, and opted to flee while she still had the chance? Had he driven off another girl, just like Yahagi-san? Make it out alive with all her limbs and reproductive parts intact?

His heart sank at the thought.

“Shimizu-san? Are you still here?” he called out again, traipsing through the ground floor. His hands tightened around the gift. It jittered in response. Careful, Yuichiro, remember what happened last time?

"Shimizu-san! Please! I'm sorry!" he called out one last time, moving near the table where Hirono lay waiting.
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame
Aura

Post by Aura »

(GMing approved by Slam.)

Hirono listened from her hiding place behind the table, hearing Takaguchi's footsteps come back after he had run off upstairs. She could hear him as each step brought him closer, but she didn't peek over the top of the table. Even when he called her name, she didn't move or speak a word. For al she knew, he was trying to trick her into putting her head up so he could shoot her. She wasn't falling for it.

Her knuckles went white from the tight grip that she had on her knife. It still wasn't comfortable in her hand, but it would keep her safe. Takaguchi called for her again, and again she refused to answer. She just needed an opportunity to catch him off guard. All she needed was an opening.

Takaguchi approached her table, and once he stepped into view, Hirono could see something in his hand. Without warning, she leapt from her hiding place and tackled him to the ground, using her hands to pin down his arms, keeping him from aiming his gun at her, or swinging whatever else it might be that he was holding.

However, once the burst of adrenaline wore off, she actually got a view of what he was holding. It wasn't a gun, it wasn't a weapon, and it wasn't even metal. It was just a manga, the same kind that he was always reading. After that, she got a look at Takaguchi's face. His frightened, confused face.

And at that moment, Hirono felt like the biggest asshole in the entire world.

"S-Sorry..." She apologizes shamefully, releasing Takaguchi from her grasp. She pulled herself up to her knees, looking rather shocked by her own actions.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Yuichiro trembled against the floor, his copy of Great Teacher Onizuka quivering between his fingers. He looked up at Shimizu-san like a sika deer caught in the headlights, empty words caught behind his teeth. Even as she apologised and pulled away, he didn't move.

He had seen the knife in her hand. It had pushed against his wrist as Hirono had held him down. It still glinted in the morning light, a sick glare shining off its wicked edge. She had tried to jump him with a weapon in hand.

"I- I just..." he whimpered, still lying underneath Hirono as she straddled him. Even his Mega Man didn't react to the moment, the sense of betrayal hanging thick in the air.

"I just...thought you might like something to read..."

The knife may have only touched his wrist, but it might as well have been driven through his back and deep into his heart.
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame
Aura

Post by Aura »

God... she could feel the betrayal in his voice. He was just coming down to offer her one of his manga, which was probably a big thing for him considering how much he loved the stuff. And she had just jumped him out of the blue. What if she hadn't just pinned him down? If she had actually stabbed him... just killed him when he was trying to do something nice for him...

... Making sure that a family that loved him would never see him again.

Hirono backed away from Takaguchi, getting to her feet. if there was any remote chance of the two of them being able to coexist, she had just obliterated it in a single impulsive leap. "I'm sorry... so sorry..." She repeated, trying desperately to explain herself. "When you... I thought you were going for your gun..."

Her voice was trembling almost as much as her legs. Was this really who she was now? So paranoid and obsessed with survival that she'd take any gesture as a sign of aggression and attack? She had already hurt Takaguchi, and who was to say he wouldn't be the only one? If she ran into Mitsuko or Yoshimi again, would even they be safe from her?

She hated herself so fucking much right now.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Yuichiro righted herself, looking back at the trembling girl who had just jumped him. His instinct was to blame himself, because it was obvious to anyone who thought about it that he should’ve let her know what he was doing. But he had to admit, it seemed a bit of an overreaction to ambush someone with a knife when they had just wanted to give you their last manga. Maybe he was just knee-jerking after nearly being stabbed.

“Why would I be getting my gun? I told you I shot Niida-san. I’m not taking those guns out of the drawer.” It made perfect sense to him, but he hated implying that Shimizu-san had been being dumb. She was just scared and alone, the exact sort of situation he was trying to help his classmates get out of. Look at how great a job he was doing, even when he had the perfect combination of unarmed and unhorny to pull it off.

“Um, Shimizsu-san...” He said, wanting to break the electric silence that hovered between the two, conducted off the knife that still sat in Hirono’s hand. To his surprise, the next words poured out without much resistance once the dam had been broken. “Well, I think we have to trust each other, you know? I know this is scary, but if we don’t trust each other, we aren’t going to make it out of this alive.

“And not just you and me, though I get why you don’t trust me right now. I don’t trust me right now that much, either. But the rest of our friends out there. If we can’t trust them either, if we go around jumping or shooting each other, then it’s all going to fall apart really quick.”

“I don’t know how we’re going to get out of this yet, but we have to believe in each other. That’s what I think.

“I’m sorry that you don’t want to stay. But I hope you know you can always come back later, if you want someone you can trust.” He finished, reaching forwards with his last manga in hand, a gentle smile on his face. “If you still want this, I hope it helps. It’s a good read.”
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame
Aura

Post by Aura »

Takaguchi seemed pretty quick to try to smooth things over, even though he was the one who had just gotten jumped. Had he always been so damn idealistic? She always thought that he was just some nerd who probably had his head in the clouds with all his manga. Hell, maybe that manga was the reason why he seemed so optimistic. Shounen heroes and all that shit. From the sounds of things, it sounded like he still had hope.

Maybe even hope that they could break out of this.

She looked down at the Manga. Great Teacher Onizuka? She'd never read it, and it didn't look like the stuff she usually got her hands on when the mood struck her. Last manga she read was some Lupin III at a bookstore on the corner. She was mostly interested in Fujiko Mine, though. She kind of considered herself to be a lot like Fujiko. Cool, sexy, and badass. Although recent events were really making her rethink that last part.

"No thanks, not my title." She said, trying to move things back in a more casual direction. However, there was one pressing thought on her mind that she wanted to approach before anything else. Admittedly, Takaguchi was one of the last people that she would have expected anything from, but she couldn't just let the moment by without asking. With Mitsuko's cynical words still occupying space in her mind, she questioned Takaguchi.

"Hey... you think that we really have a shot at getting out of here? Escape, I mean. Not just killing each other."
Slam

Post by Slam »

Ouch. First Shimizu-san jumped him, and now she was turning down his best effort of a gift, the last manga he had on hand? Honestly, it hurt more than the knife would have. He tried not to let the insult show on his face, given the higher priorities at stake here, but it wounded him regardless.

Shimizu-san’s question beget a response. He had read a lot of manga and seen a lot of anime in his life. A lot. Despite this encyclopedic knowledge, there was a strange absence of plotlines published in his country that were like the one he found himself embroiled in. His only frame of reference was his beloved RepubiMan, when they did the episode on this very situation. Even in that, the students just thanked their saviour for stopping the Capericans interrupting the game and had gone straight back to killing each other. It didn’t give him any useful information on how to actually make it out of the game in one piece, short of killing all his friends.

He looked at Shimizu-san, forcing a smile onto his mask of confidence. It wasn’t about not trusting his classmates. He trusted all of his classmates with his life, and he hoped they would do the same to him. So far, he had only betrayed that trust, but he would do anything to make amends. Even parting with his precious last manga.

But trusting his classmates didn’t mean much when the program was in place to get them down to the last true patriot. He didn’t understand why it existed, or how the people running it could justify it and still be good people, but rules were rules. He wanted to believe some of his genius classmates could help them get out, but it seemed like a long shot, and four people had already died. The only way he was getting out for sure seemed to be if one of his anime heroes appeared and took them all away in some kind of airship or castle in the sky. But according to the laws of anime that he knew so well, that would actually make that person a villain, because they were denying the students their country granted opportunity to show their loyalty.

He was starting to feel a little bit negatively towards the government who had cooked up this situation, all things considered.

But Shimizu-san was still waiting for an answer, and he didn’t want her to give up hope. He didn’t want to give up hope either. So, he did what he always did whenever he started to feel frustrated with his dad being disappeared by the state, or his senile grandmother keeping him awake at 3 am, or his good people classmates locking him in the sports supply shed overnight.

“Yeah, I really do.” He lied, with as kind a smile as he could give himself.
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame
Aura

Post by Aura »

Takaguchi said that he believed it. Maybe it was Hirono's usual level of cynicism, or the island sapping away at her hopes, but she wasn't sure if she really believed it. Yeah, Takaguchi seemed pretty much like the unfailingly truthful type, but a little part of her mind wasn't sure if he was being sincere, or if he was acting like one of the government officials who shows up on TV. They get in front of the cameras, talk about how good of a job they're doing and how the future will be even better, and then things keep on being shit as always.

God damn, she hated having to ask herself these things about her classmates. She missed when she could just stand in the corner and be able to identify everyone with one or two words maximum. Nanahara was "Rock Star", Takaguchi was "Skinny Nerd", Kiriyama's gang was "Collected Dumbasses", things were so much easier back then.

"Yeah, like... no one can put all this shit together perfectly. There has to be some kinda kink in the armor or something." Hirono was trying to convince herself as much as she was Takaguchi. Being the first to escape the program... what a fucking achievement that would be. Not like the government would ever let the news get out, but it would be her personal fuck you to shitty-ass Sakamochi and all of his buddies, and that would be good enough for her. Along with the fact that she would still be alive, of course.

But if anyone was going to make it out of the program... would it really be her? She hadn't really put in the effort to get most of her classmates to like her, and her little meeting with Eto made it clear that she was a pretty big net negative on some of their lives. Whether or not someone believed in fate, a girl like her wasn't someone that most people would put their faith in.

Admittedly, Hirono wasn't even sure if she was one of them anymore.

"So..." Hirono scraped the side of her shoe along the ground as she spoke. "You gonna keep hanging around the lighthouse?"
Slam

Post by Slam »

“Yeah, that’s my plan.” There wasn’t any reason to leave, except to maybe find his friends before anything bad happened to them, or they made mistakes like he was doing. However, since all of his classmates were his friends, he could achieve the same goal by staying in one place and waiting for them to come to him. That, and who was he to try to stop people from messing up?

Yuichiro was still worried about Tatsu-kun, but he knew he’d be OK. Then again, he had thought the same thing about Sugimara-san and look how that had turned out. Really, how could he know for sure that he’d ever see his best buddy again? But it was a big island, and he had no way of knowing where he would’ve gone. Waiting for everyone to meet up in one place just seemed smarter, even if he wanted to see him that much sooner.

Convincing everyone to then stay in that one place was another matter. Even Niida-san hadn’t talked like he was going to stick around before his demise, so he was zero for three. Maybe he needed to make the place more inviting still? Cleaning the blood up off the floor would definitely be a good start, he thought as his eyes wandered over to it, oblivous to the blood still on his face.

He looked back to Shimizu-san. “I guess this is goodbye for now, then?” He wanted to say ‘see you later’ instead, but it felt awkward. As if he’d be forcing his manga into her hands with the onus to bring it back to him later. That wouldn't have been a bad plan actually, if he was the more devious type. Anything to make sure this wasn't the last time he'd see Shimizu-san.
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame
Aura

Post by Aura »

Honestly, Hirono could imagine a few good reasons as to why Takaguchi would want to stay at the lighthouse. It seemed to be in pretty good condition, and if there's a way to get to the top, then it probably gives him the best view of the island. But at the same time, the fairly cramped quarters didn't give her much confidence in case something bad went down. She wanted an escape route, and if she was at the top when someone was coming after her, there would be no way out.

Maybe Takaguchi didn't think about that kind of thing? It would probably be on her mind constantly from the moment she walked up those stairs. Considering the fact that the guy was stashing his manga up there, she guessed he felt pretty comfortable. In that case, she wasn't gonna fuck with him about it. Let the nerd be happy.

"Yeah, I still got stuff I have to do." She wasn't really sure how to say goodbye, especially knowing that she might never see him alive after this. Fuck, they weren't even friends before this, and she had just been ready to kick his ass a few minutes ago. Maybe she wasn't as aloof as she wanted to be, although this would be some pretty fucking bad timing to find that out. "Guess I'll see you when I see you."

Hirono left through the front door of the lighthouse, and looked over her shoulder a couple of times as she walked away. She couldn't will herself to let her guard down and relax, no matter how badly she wanted to, so she left the relative safety of the lighthouse behind as she resumed her search for escape or survival.

(Hirono Shimizu continued in Livin' In a Hateful World)

Return to “Lighthouse (C10) [Forbidden]”