SOTF Supers: FAQ Thread!

All your questions, answered!

Important information about the game and its universe may be found here.

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Applesintime wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:37 pm If a student has a Gift that could injure themselves or others during gym class, would they get a waiver for that class or would they expect to do other, lighter exercises?
Depends -- if it would be possible for them to do lighter exercises without risk, yes. Otherwise, they would have the class waived in the interest of safety.
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
Memories: = = = >
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

The Honeless Beard wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:47 pm Apologies if this has been asked - what are the chances in percentages that there will be shotguns in Supers?
Over 0% and under 100%.
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
The Honeless Beard
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by The Honeless Beard »

VoltTurtle wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:58 pm
The Honeless Beard wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:47 pm Apologies if this has been asked - what are the chances in percentages that there will be shotguns in Supers?
Over 0% and under 100%.
I will never sleep again.
SOTF TV V3
ES12: Ivan Rodriguez - Co-Winner - "Just fucking fight me, man."
[+] Past Characters
SOTF TV V2:
BB3: Matthew Weiss - #Weiss is Schiesse - "I can say whatever I want in this signature, and you'll believe it's in my story." - DECEASED
CS3: Dougie Sharpe - Personal Responsibility - "You're going to wake up tomorrow, and still be you." - DECEASED

SOTF SC V2:
B06: Brandon Baxter - Brandone (ft. DJ KILLJI) - "Thanks. I lost mine in a gunfight." - DECEASED
G33: Kasumi White - 'Cause We Are Young And We Are Sick- He is not here. - DECEASED

SOTF TV V3
MM12: Maxine "Max" Schwimmer - Sink or Swim "Akeno, please." - DECEASED

International:
O25: Tarren Joseph - A Boring Dystopia- "You killed me." - DECEASED

Supers
Kincaid Rawlins - The Apocalyptic Rockfight- "Hello kitty sucks."
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Is there a culture of valuing certain gifts over others, or complimenting conspicuous or powerful gifts? Would someone have an advantage on a job application or be popular at parties because they're considered to be "powerful" ? Or would it be more like a form of social stigmatization, out of fear of what they might do?
SOTF: U
Evan Keane: "I guess my world was always gonna end, somehow."

SOTF Supers:
August Hanlon - "This never felt like much of a Gift."
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Shiola wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:01 am Is there a culture of valuing certain gifts over others, or complimenting conspicuous or powerful gifts? Would someone have an advantage on a job application or be popular at parties because they're considered to be "powerful" ? Or would it be more like a form of social stigmatization, out of fear of what they might do?
Yes (to them being valued), but only in the same way that there are social benefits to being physically attractive (and likewise, negatives for being physically unattractive/having a terrible Gift). Taking "powerful" to mean "useful" (and not necessarily "how good can you fight with it"), having a Gift that is powerful naturally lends itself to greater social standing, but there is no (mainstream) culture actively pushing this ideal, and most people would deny it if you accused them of liking someone because of their Gift. There is also additional stigma against people with dangerous Gifts, though this is for a fairly logical reason (that being, avoiding a person that could kill you on accident) rather than irrational prejudice.
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Yonagoda wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:42 am Are there PSAs about gift-related incidens or bullying? Councillors who deal with children that have dangrous or unpleasant abilities?
Yes to both, and the PSAs are just as cheesy as you imagine.

(Sorry for the delay on this one, I missed it the first time!)
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
Dogs231

Post by Dogs231 »

If a character's power necessitated a secondary effect for their own survival, such as a kid with a superacid for blood not being affected the same way by acids, would it be allowed, or would it not be allowed under the "only one power" rule.
[+] PRESENT
SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V1:
[ERROR: RELATIONSHIP THREAD UNAVAILABLE.]
Appearance Tracker

O18: Alexander "Lex" Latimer - "You've got something to go home to, right? Then it's yours."
Assigned Weapon: Pistol Auto 9mm 1A, Pistol Auto 9mm 1A
Location: He prepared for the end in The Mysterious Circle - United by the Moment.
Pregame History: [ERROR: PREGAME HISTORY UNAVAILABLE.]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

SOTF: Cyber
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE]

A01: Solana "Sunny" Lucero Estelle - "—maybe I'll die. But, you know, united we stand, united we fall. Something like that, anyway. If I'm going, well, I'm going down swinging."
Designated Weapon: W-7 — Gold Silverware Set
Designated Utility: U-26 — Surveillance System
Location: She met her match and lost the game in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1/1

A18: Daniel Arista - "It ain't right for a man, you know, to die on his knees." [Adopted from Cob]
Designated Weapon: W-27 — Tennis Racket
Designated Utility: U-18 — Non-Fungible Token (NFT)
Location: He played the game like he was told in The Distorted Homeroom (Room 308) - Error.
In-Game History: 1

ONE ROOM DEATH GAME:
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE]

Tyler Becerra - "We're all gonna make it."
Location: He's gambling with his life in The Stage - One Room Death Game.
In-Game History: 1
[+] PAST
SOTF-TV V3:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

ES03: Cory Cartwright - "We can have power over the situation. We can defeat the game. We only need to figure out how."
Assigned Weapon: Diving Knife
Location: He was out of his depth in Jetties: Central - Armageddon Game. [47/81]
Pregame History: 1
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

S015: Noah Davis - "We're alive, and that means we still have a chance to set things right."
Gift: Finger Guns
Location: He tried his best, but came up short in The Flatlands - Pale Rider. [19/43]
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE.]

B15: Shūya Nanahara - "Well, now, I'm no hero, that's understood..."
Assigned Weapon: Icepick, the Power of Rock Music!
Location: He refused to play by the rules in In-Between - The Worst Game in History. [10/42].
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
[+] CONCEPTS
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V3

Liam Black is one sick puppy - "No more rain, where's the sunshine when you need it?"
Austin White is always right - "I would very much like to see you prove me wrong."
[+] SOTF-SECOND CHANCES V4

Josh Goodman is living the dream - "For a mad scientist, imagination is the greatest weapon."
[+] SOTF-TV INTERMISSION

Tamarisk Allen is a dead ringer - "We're friends, and friends stay together to the end, right?"
Stryker Williams is the best around - "Now, I'm going to take my first step towards greatness."
Blake Killam is made for this - "This show has been my life, from start to finish."
[+] SOTF-TV V4

Richard de la Cruz is determined to win - "Watch as I do something unimaginable."
Evan Gemstone is ready to die on this hill - "I'll send this whole structure crashing down."
[+] SOTF-U V2

Alex Wituk is vibrating with motion - "I don't know what came over me, but I was on fire with anger!"
[+] SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2

Kim Song is under watch - "두렵더라도 강해져야 합니다."
[+] SOTF-SUPERS V2

Adam Ka'uhane is forgotten - "Nobody will remember me when I'm gone."
[+] OTHER

Caius Jones is a doomsayer - "The signs are clear; the end is nigh!"
Maxwell Verity is telling the truth - "Life is an equation, and numbers don't lie."
Aiden Chase is speedrunning life - "It's simple, just beat the clock."
[+] EXTRA

SOTF AU V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

B001: Jason Dagon - "They say it's hard taking a life; they're wrong. It's the easiest thing in the world."
Assigned Weapon: IWI UZI
In-Game History: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Dogs231 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:34 pm If a character's power necessitated a secondary effect for their own survival, such as a kid with a superacid for blood not being affected the same way by acids, would it be allowed, or would it not be allowed under the "only one power" rule.
This depends on the specific power in question. Generally speaking, what we would call required secondary powers aren't permitted. Instead, we prefer the power itself to be tuned in such a way that it doesn't necessitate required secondary powers. This is for a few reasons: (1) it creates more interesting dynamics and relationships between a character and their Gift, (2) it ensures that every Gift behaves in a way that has some measure of verisimilitude (as if someone had it in real life), and (3) it builds-in nerfs for powers that would be too strong were all their required secondary powers in play.

That being said, if there are logical secondary effects inherent to what we would classify as a single power, that's totally fine. For a good example of this, I would point to NAFT's Advanced Feline Genetic Mutation, which gives Kincaid several things that could theoretically be individual powers on their own, but all logical extend from the one power of "he's a cat person".

Obviously the edges between what is a logical secondary effect and a required secondary power is a big gray zone, and very much something where we have to call it like we see it. When in doubt, ask!

(And on the subject of an acid kid -- would have to see the write up to judge it!)
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
Slam

Post by Slam »

Does the school curriculum include any classes or such specifically tailored to Gifts? Such as a topic in health class, or some kind of social science unit based on them?
Second Chances 3
Lucas Brady - Ultra-Premium Grade - 1

Nu-BRAU
B13: Yuichiro Takiguchi - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11

SOTF: Supers
S028: Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] pregame
Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Slam wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:20 pm Does the school curriculum include any classes or such specifically tailored to Gifts? Such as a topic in health class, or some kind of social science unit based on them?
Yes, but it's an elective akin to Home Economics, and not every student ends up taking it.
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
Sh4dE
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by Sh4dE »

What will be IC timeline between rolls in the arena? For the MKA (Most Kill Award) system to make sense it either has to have a bigger roll set than TV3/INTLs rolls or there to be a bigger time interval between them. Otherwise there will be a lot of ties.
I'm so glad to be back !
DerArknight
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by DerArknight »

What about COVID?
Does Supers take place in a world where the pandemic never happened like INTL or in one where the pandemic was dealed with quickly like Main? Or is the pandemic in Supers identical to the real world?
[+] Those who struggle
Cyber
Zeph Newman

U
Elizabeth Rodney (adopted from Salic) Currently on a new low in tomorrow will only get worse

SC3
Chris Tyrell
Ethan Kemp
Fabiano Vecoli
[+] Those who rest
TV3
Sofia Kowalski (adopted from SansaSaver) [30/81] - Just where... did it all went so wrong?
Chris Tyrell (adopted from Irina Ivanov) [6/81] - That was the magic of SOTF-TV.

INTL
Fabiano Vecoli [17/29] - Weird. Why hadn't he noticed this sooner?

Supers
Gary Greer-Wheatly [26/43] - I am doing bad. You?

NBRAU
Keita Iijima [37/42] - Do you think... they are really gone?
Noriko Nakagawa [13/42] - It was nothing she looked forward to.

U
Arthur "Art" Miles [13/29] - Hold on. You actually believe this whole bullshit about Survival of the Fittest?
[+] Those whose time shall come
TV Intermissions
Leland Pierpoint
Stuart "Stu" Tyler
Lucina "Lucy" Pierpoint

TV4
Claudia Harper
Shanoa Priest

SC4
Kathleen Martin
???

INTL V2
Leonie Fuchs
Leon Fuchs
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

RC wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:28 pm What will be IC timeline between rolls in the arena? For the MKA (Most Kill Award) system to make sense it either has to have a bigger roll set than TV3/INTLs rolls or there to be a bigger time interval between them. Otherwise there will be a lot of ties.
The IC timeline upon submission (and as currently planned) was one in-game day per in-character announcement, with one large (relative to cast size) roll set occurring per announcement. While these rolls would have been roughly the size of TV3's rolls had the character count remained at the initial AU limit (of 20), due to the fact that Supers has already far exceeded it (assuming everyone submitted gets approved) every roll set will be significantly larger than the rolls in both TV3 and INTL.

Additionally, in case of a tie for the MKA, handlers will be allowed to decide amongst themselves who gets the prize, and if they cannot arrive at unanimous agreement, the tie will be broken by a winner being randomly selected.
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

mostlyharmfulll wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:15 pm What about COVID?
Does Supers take place in a world where the pandemic never happened like INTL or in one where the pandemic was dealed with quickly like Main? Or is the pandemic in Supers identical to the real world?
The COVID-19 pandemic never happened in the Supers universe.
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
Sh4dE
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by Sh4dE »

VoltTurtle wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:29 pm
RC wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:28 pm What will be IC timeline between rolls in the arena? For the MKA (Most Kill Award) system to make sense it either has to have a bigger roll set than TV3/INTLs rolls or there to be a bigger time interval between them. Otherwise there will be a lot of ties.
The IC timeline upon submission (and as currently planned) was one in-game day per in-character announcement, with one large (relative to cast size) roll set occurring per announcement. While these rolls would have been roughly the size of TV3's rolls had the character count remained at the initial AU limit (of 20), due to the fact that Supers has already far exceeded it (assuming everyone submitted gets approved) every roll set will be significantly larger than the rolls in both TV3 and INTL.

Additionally, in case of a tie for the MKA, handlers will be allowed to decide amongst themselves who gets the prize, and if they cannot arrive at unanimous agreement, the tie will be broken by a winner being randomly selected.
Would a tie be similiar to the Joachim/Rosemary/Maxwell situation of V5 or would there only be 1 IC winner?
I'm so glad to be back !

Return to “SOTF: Supers Important Information”