Hope or Pain

Towering above the ocean far below, both the height of these cliffs and the rocks in the water beneath make it very obvious any fall from here will be lethal.
Rocky*

Hope or Pain

Post by Rocky* »

((Noriko Nakagawa continued from And Just a Quick Bite...))

They ran. There was no destination in mind, they just ran. Each step took them further away from the danger, further away from the fear. Further away from quite possibly the only other normal person on this God-forsaken island. Noriko Nakagawa and Yoshitoki Kuninobu were all each other had left. There was nothing left to do but keep on pushing forward. Noriko's legs felt heavy, and each step shot a quick, sharp pain up her side, but she didn't stop. She wasn't about to fall behind now. The girl doggedly kept pace with Nobu, just running.

How much distance had they traveled? How long had they been running? Noriko didn't know the answers to these questions, but they didn't matter at that moment. She didn't want to risk stopping for fear that Yoshimi was, for whatever reason, following behind them. As much as she didn't want to think about it, Takako had gone up against nearly insurmountable odds against that machine gun. No, she had to stop thinking like that. Takako was strong, she wouldn't go down to someone like Yoshimi.

It wasn't long until the pair reached the northern cliff side of the island. Upon reaching the location, Noriko collapsed to her knees, panting for breath. Her throat felt raw from all the running, and her side felt like it was tearing itself in half. It took her some time to get her breath, but when she did, she noticed something horrid smelling. It was a smell that Noriko had experienced before, and her heart fell. Not even this location had been safe from the slaughter and mayhem. A quick glance around revealed the source of the stench.

Two bodies, both female. The one closest to her was face down in the dirt, but Noriko would recognize that distinctive hair anywhere. "Megumi..." Noriko whispered, staring at the bullet ridden corpse of her friend. Nature had already begun to reclaim her body, mostly through the various birds and insects inhabiting the island. The girl wanted nothing more than to crawl over to be at her side, but she knew that Megumi was too far gone for it to be any use. She turned her eyes to the second girl, who at this point was unrecognizable to Noriko. Two people had died here, and it gave Noriko a bad feeling about sticking around the location.

Her body wasn't giving her much choice in the matter. Her legs had completely shut down on her, refusing to go any further after what she had put them through. Her breath was still coming in heaves, although it was starting to settle into a pattern. After everything that had happened in the last day or so, Noriko Nakagawa was physically, psychologically, and emotionally spent. It all started with Shuya in the classroom, then poor Kayoko, and now she was mere feet away from the decomposing body of her best friend.

There were so many things swirling around inside Noriko's head. "Why..." the girl found herself saying out loud. "Why, why, why!?" Tears began to slide down her face. "Why would anyone kill someone else in order to live?" Noriko was looking at Yoshitoki. Nobu had lost his best friend early, and Noriko knew he must have been devastated by Shuya's death. His kind smile and attitude would never be a part of their lives again. "This... program... brings the worst out of people... but at the same time... I want to believe... that none of our classmates are that bad.... and yet, so many of us have died.... I just... I don't know if I can take it anymore..."

Noriko thought of all her friends who had died over the course of the game. "Shuya...Megumi...Yukie...Kayoko.... They were my friends.... but I couldn't do anything for them. I couldn't save them, even when I was there to stop it." Images of Kayoko's death flashed in her mind, sending a shudder down her spine. Even though Hiroki had merely been defending her and Takako, Noriko couldn't help but think if maybe things could have turned out differently. Maybe she could have talked some sense into Kayoko, and she wouldn't be... dead... right now. Everything Noriko had tried to do while in this game had been thrown back in her face over the last day and a bit. She even let Takako potentially throw her life away for their sake without much thought or resistance.

"Do you...Do you think I should have let Takako go so easily?" This was directed at Yoshitoki, who no doubt had been looking at Noriko talking to herself this whole time. Noriko didn't know what else to do. She was tired. She was scared.

She just wanted to go home.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Rocky.
T-Fox*

Post by T-Fox* »

Yoshi was the definition of exhausted. Since the pair had fled from Yoshimi, unwittingly using Chigusa as a distraction, he had just ran. Ran for his life. Ran to keep Noriko safe. Run from the bullets, run from the fear, run from death. He had no idea where they were. They had stopped to make sure that 'this way' wasn't riddle dwith danger zones once, at a point that they couldn't hear the bullets. And they they just moved. This is what Chisuga wanted. was the only thing going through his mind. That was his rationalization for letting a friend die. This is what she wanted. And he hoped to god that she was still alive. Hey, maybe they'd make it to the final three, and then they were at least guaranteed 23 hours of relaxation and time together. And they had 23 hours to try and figure out how to get the collars off.

Thank GOD they can't hear what I'm thinking.

Poor Yoshi had stopped paying attention, letting his feet and instinct do all of the work. However with their current northward sprint, this probably wasn't the best bet, as he was suddenly snapped out of his thoughtful stupor by a cliff in the distance; one he had to plant his feet and skid to avoid falling over. "SHIT!" Involuntarily, his mind reacted in a way that would have been a good idea anywhere but the island. However even as he was still sliding, he knew exactly how bad of an idea that was. Even though there were so few of his classmates left alive, the playing field was still small enough that someone had probably heard him. He panted, letting the adreniline from almost dying wear off, his side beginning to really hurt where Chigusa had kicked him; he winced and rubbed the site as he attempted to make himself a bit more comfortable.

And then stench he could never avoid, death. The pair of girls weren't hard to find at all, and he wretched at the sight of the decomposing bodies. Unlike Noriko, he had no idea who either of the two were, but he still knew that less than 48 hours ago, they were alive, the most of their worries what boy liked them... or whatever girls not in their situation worried about.

Noriko finally caught his gaze. He had a crush on her before this all began, and he was sure that they might end up together if he could actually follow through on his word and save her. He began to reach over to attempt to rub her back to comfort her when she finally broke out into her small tirade, one he was surprised she hadn't had before this.

"Why... Why, why, why?"

He just watched. She needed to get it all out. This was the worst thing that any human being could go through, and if she hadn't broken down yet... No one deserves this. For any reason.

"Why would anyone kill someone else in order to live?" It was as if her eyes pierced him, looked past his face, truly into him. His response was broken, and weak. "I... I don't... I know I couldn't..." A blatant lie. He thought he had almost killed Niida right when the game had began. He obviously had lived to fight another day, but if he had... Noriko didn't need to know that.

""This... program... brings the worst out of people... but at the same time... I want to believe... that none of our classmates are that bad.... and yet, so many of us have died.... I just... I don't know if I can take it anymore..."

His head shook. "No... No one in our class was a bad person..." There were a few he thought might have been, but there was no point in debunking the fact he was trying to assert. "They were probably just scared... Couldn't take the pressure... Saw no other way out... I don't think anyone would have just taken a gun and killed everyone else before being forced too." But what made He and Noriko different? Why hadn't they succumbed to the pressure yet? And for that matter, why hadn't Chigusa? Were they just stronger or better people? Was there something different about them?

Or were we just weak, but lucky?

His train of thought was broken by a very pointed, direct question however. "Do you...Do you think I should have let Takako go so easily?"

There was no response in the world that could answer that question. Hell, there really wasn't an answer. He needed to calm her down though, so his feet, seemingly of their own accord, led him to her side. His arms wrapped around her, and he tried to comfort her as he spoke.

"It's what she would have wanted. She's a strong girl, and she would have done that anyways. No amount of convincing would have changed her mind. If we had followed her, her potential sacrifice would have been in vain." He steeled himself for what he was about to say. He wasn't sure at all, and the next announcement could bring news that would wreck everything he'd just worked to do. But he needed to. "I'm sure she's fine though. Like I said, she's strong. We're the three who didn't break under pressure. We'll be alright." He shook his head again. "I promise Noriko. We'll be alright." His eyes closed as he tried not to think about Shuyya. Did he sacrifice himself because he thought he had a chance? Did he think it would impact what would happen over the next three days? Or did he just crack too?

No. Remember those who have fallen in their best light.

Shuyya would always be Yoshitoki Kuninbo's hero. For however long he would live.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler T-Fox. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Slam

Post by Slam »

((Mitsuko Souma continued from A Place to Rest))

Mitsuko Souma had rested well that previous night. After killing Yumiko in the forests, she had managed to find herself a small collection of rocks to take cover in whilst she slept, granting her a peaceful, undeserved slumber. Since the morning had risen, she had managed to find her way up to the northern cliffs.

To say she had had a perfect sleep wouldn't be accurate though: the thought of ending Yumiko's life was still playing on her mind. Despite emotionally feeling satisfied and excited, her mentality was having a hard time understanding whether or not she should be pleased with it; everything she had thought of gave her a reason to have killed her without worrying about it, so why did it still bother her?

Eventually, she had managed to make her way up to the northern cliff that Yoshitoki and Noriko were currently stood on. Growing less phased by unintentionally running into people as the game wore on, she ducked behind a tree in a manner similar to Megumi Eto not hours before her. She poked her head out to observe the two new characters she had encountered, and a mixture of glee and debate grew on her face as she watched them patiently.

It didn't look like they were any of what she had decided were the 'dangerous' students from her point of view, although the announcements had listed most of those as dead (None of her gang yet, though). However, she had to be careful, since she had no way of knowing whether or not they were armed.

Looking down at the gun she had stolen off Yumiko's corpse, she realised how to deal with the people on the hill: she could just poke it out and shoot them! It wasn't complicated; why was she worried? They didn't look like they'd seen her, anyway.

Yeah, just shoot them!onlyonesurvivesShoot them dead! She had the real upper hand here, so she had no reason to worry at all! She just had to pull that trigger, and there'd be two less problems on the island!

Although...it wasn't like she'd shot people on a daily basis before. Her aim might not hit them, and then they might live.

There was no choice! She'd just have to shoot at them, and hope for the best!

At this point, the two figures had started hugging each other (“Like that's going to solve anything, fuckers!” she muttered quietly in spite), so Mitsuko had an easier time picking who to go for first. She aimed her gun and fired off a trio of shots, having become more accustomed to the recoil, but still not to the loud gunshot that drowned out other noises for several seconds afterwards.

With any luck, her shots would go right.
Second Chances 3
Lucas Brady - Ultra-Premium Grade - 1

Nu-BRAU
B13: Yuichiro Takiguchi - 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11

SOTF: Supers
S028: Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] pregame
Lincoln Guenther - Gift: Soul Sphere - 1 - 2
Rocky*

Post by Rocky* »

Yoshitoki's presence managed to calm Noriko down somewhat. His hug was more than welcome, and the girl rested her head on his chest, tears flowing silently from here eyes. Standing there near that cliff, the bodies of two others not more than ten feet away, Noriko knew, that she was going to die. She was weak, couldn't do anything to save herself. Throughout her entire stay on the island, Noriko had been relying on others. Takako and Hiroki, and now Yoshitoki. She wasn't afraid though. At least she was able to find someone who she cared for, and someone who cared for her.

After some time, Noriko pulled away slightly from the boy, a small smile crossing her features. “Nobu.... Thank y-” The girl's words were suddenly and violently cut off by a loud bang, and a splatter of blood. It took a moment for Noriko to even register she had been hit, because she was more concerned for the wound that had appeared on Yoshitoki's arm. He dropped his arms away from Noriko, who took a few staggering steps back from Yoshitoki. As soon as Yoshitoki released his grip, Noriko felt a searing pain in her shoulder, and became acutely aware of the stream of blood flowing out of the finger-sized hole in her shoulder.

Noriko fell to her knees, her tears of sadness becoming tears of pain. She let out a guttural scream as the pain throbbed through her entire body. She looked around her through her tears, looking for the source of the gunshot, but couldn't see anything. What she could see was Yoshitoki a few feet away, on his knees and cradling his injured arm.

“Nobu!” Noriko yelled, crawling on her hands and knees towards the boy. The look in his face showed Noriko that he was in a lot of pain, but then again, her face was also probably in the same state. Everything was slowly beginning to numb, and Noriko wasn't sure if that was a good or a bad thing. At least she couldn't feel any pain any more. All she knew was they needed to get out of there as fast as they could.

“Nobu, we have to run!” the girl said, trying to get to her feet. The attacker was no doubt close, and if they wanted to live then they had to run. She wasn't sure how effective it would be, considering whoever attacked them had a gun. They had to try though.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Rocky.
T-Fox*

Post by T-Fox* »

Pure fire shot through Yoshitoki's arm. A scream forced itself from his throat, his head and arms dropping from Noriko's form. He had just been shot. And through the pain, through the agony he still had the thought Shit, did Yoshimi follow us?!. He was terrified for his own life, but he was more afraid for hers.

However unfortunate for the wounded boy, there would be no heroic actions today. As he dropped to the ground, Noriko's words barely registering in his mind, his arm throbbed hard; warm blood trickling down over his exposed hand. And there was no way he could use that arm to support himself in getting back off of the ground. The bullet had ripped right through his bicep, rendering the once powerful limb absolutely useless. He couldn't control it well enough to even hold a gun or fight, let alone use the strength he once possessed to push himself back to his feet.

"Nobu, we have to run!"

He just shook his head. "No.. Noriko, you run. I'm not pushing myself up on this... There's no way. Please live for me." Tears ran down Kunibo's cheeks as the fire in his arm began to spread. "Now at least we won't have to decide what to do when we're the only two left..."

He wanted nothing more than to offer her his weapon and bid her goodbye for the last time. However there was nothing to give, very little to say. He choked softly, trying to pick his final words to her; convinced that this was the end. Even staring death in the face, telling someone his true feelings was still so insanely hard. It was kind of funny when you think about it... Right down to the end, Yoshi was more afraid of Noriko than he was of this masked Gunman.

However, time was short. If he was going to say this, he needed to say it now.

"Noriko... Listen. I love you." He winced as both the pain and fear of rejection settled into his mind yet again. "I... I want you to live." He took a deep breath. "Use me as a distraction, just go. Flee, find somewhere safe. Find freedom. And when you get out of here, leave this damned country behind." Every time his eyes closed, he saw an image; one that he couldn't quite make out. Three people, running down a street... No, a tunnel.

"I don't want my death to be worthless Noriko. Run!"

Noriko was already on her feet when the boy finally opened his eyes again. Good. Please live...

And he hoped beyond all hope that he would die alone here; because the alternative was so much worse.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler T-Fox. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Mitsuko watched the bullets leave the barrel of her gun, flying into the unprepared bodies of Noriko and Yoshitoki with a torrent of blood and screams of terror; it dawned on her that this was the second time on the island that she was killing someone.

After watching the two for a moment, her gun lowered slightly, it soon became apparent that they were still alive, although it was clear that her shots had been on target. She listened to Noriko scream for Yoshitoki to flee with her disgustedly, and decided that they didn’t even deserve caution.

It annoyed Mitsuko that Noriko hadn’t started running straight away. They had both been shot, and it was pretty clear, even from that distance, that Yoshitoki wasn’t going anywhere in a hurry. Why the hell was she waiting? She had just been shot in the arm, and Yoshitoki must’ve looked a hell of a lot worse from where she was standing! Did she think the bullets would magically stop coming towards her as long as she stayed in the same place as where she’d just been shot?! "Run already, you stupid bitch!"

Rage growing inside her at the blatant disregard for common sense, she finally left the safety of her bushes, gun held loosely at her waist. Cold fury behind her eyes, she marched towards the terrified two like a general about to execute her men for treason. When she had made it to only a few feet away, the nasty little child underneath came forth, as she cracked a smile, trained her gun on Noriko and began to taunt.

"So, little Nakagawa’s losing her dear little Yoshi, is she?" she snickered, glaring at the defenceless girl. "Poor you, Noriko; you should’ve ran when you had the chance." she continued, waving her gun to make her point clear. "At least you’ll get to be with all your little friends soon though, won’t you? You and your popular little girl clique."

Her voice had lost her mocking quality, instead becoming ice cold and completely loathing. Noriko was a textbook case of girls that pissed Mitsuko off: girls that were always so upbeat and positive, getting whatever they wanted without any of the work: little angels come to Earth. Well she was an angel too: Daddy’s little angel; Daddy’s little angel of death. And it was time for the angels to die already!

"You know what?" she asked, her eye darting to the dying boy next to her. "I’m forgetting someone very special."

And on that note, she pointed her gun down at Yoshitoki Kuninobu's head and grinned triumphantly.
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame
Rocky*

Post by Rocky* »

Noriko ignored Yoshitoki's pleas for her to run. Her shoulder burned, but she attempted to help the boy up regardless. "No, we have to leave together. I'm not losing you too!" The girl tugged frantically with her good arm on Yoshitoki's good arm, but she was too weak to make him budge. She stopped this frantic action once she heard a voice that made her blood run cold. Of all the people that had to appear at that moment, it had to be her.

"Mitsuko..." was all Noriko was able to say before the girl went off on her rant. Noriko just stood and stared, cradling her injured arm, as Mitsuko spouted off all the reasons why she hated her, before pointing the gun at Yoshitoki, helpless on the ground.

"Mitsuko, no!" Noriko said feebly, instinct suddenly kicking in. Noriko may have just been a weak little girl, but at that moment she forgot that as she practically flung herself at the other girl. Too many people had been taken away from her already, she was not about to loose who could quite possibly be the only person left she cared for. Takako hadn't been mentioned in the announcement since they split, but they didn't know what could have happened since then. She didn't care what happened to her at that point, just as long as it was enough for Yoshitoki to get away. At least then she knew that she had done something right.
T-Fox*

Post by T-Fox* »

He heard Noriko's cries for him to come with her. There was just no way he physically could.

He heard Mitsuko's deranged speech, her mind obviously lost to the game, forced to be a player from the pressure the island was putting on them all. His left arm lay limp by his side, a feeling of burning rocketing down his side and all the way up to his neck, the digits numb and the pins and needles beginning to slowly travel up his wrecked appendage. He seethed in pain, his eyes clenching shut. No crying, no yelling. Be strong. He knew he was going to die here. She didn't have to. But she was being so stubborn!

However, the figures in his vision slowly became clearer. The tunnel was wide and made of stone, something you might see back in the 1800's in a European country. The light at the end was blinding, almost angelic. One figure stood a solid distance in front of the other two, waving back to them, his back and face obscured by the light. One led the other, the pair hand in hand as they sprinted down the seemingly endless pathway. It was serene, it was pleasant. As much as he didn't want to open his eyes, he did.

And when he opened his eyes, the barrel of a pistol was the only thing to greet his vision.

He had to buy Noriko time. "For the love of GOD, RUN!" With that primal scream, his cry of battle, his good arm that he had propped himself up onto launched forth with as much power as he could muster. He felt cold steel on his fingertips as his body began to fall the few inches back to earth, his elbow no longer holding his back aloft. He didn't see the effect of his swing, but he hoped that the next bang he would hear would miss it's targets, affording Noriko time to escape.

The back of his head bounced off of a rock as his entire body met earth. Everything in his field of vision became fuzzy; from the red of his own blood pouring onto the green of the grass, to the background of the sea, separated from him by mere feet.

And it was here that he made a realization. His final realization.

No matter what happened here on this island, the world would keep on turning. Life would go on for everyone but them. They mattered not to the world, and the world mattered not to them. He took a deep breath. He prepared for the worst. He now realized his passing wouldn't affect anyone but the two people right in front of him. He hoped he had just made it count to it's fullest. A single tear rolled down his cheek.

BANG.
Slam

Post by Slam »

((Please forgive the lateness of my reply))

Stop fucking with me!

Instead of laying down and dying, the two fuckers were fighting back with the tiny amount of strength they had left in their miserable bodies, and it was pissing her off! Noriko was throwing her prissy angel self onto her, and the half-dead Yoshitoki was grabbing at her gun, trying to pull it out her hands! She had already shot the two, why didn't they just face facts and die with dignity?!

Though Yoshitoki had taken her by surprise, it was a stroke of luck that kept her grip on the handle of the gun, the ridged handle in her position by the skin of her fingertips. With the gun in hand, she raised it high into the air whilst holding Noriko off with her other arm, preparing to bring it down hard against her pretty little head.

“Don't you ever fuck with me!” she screamed, as she swung the butt of the gun as hard as she could for her foe's face.
Second Chances 3

Nu-BRAU

[+] pregame
Rocky*

Post by Rocky* »

Noriko felt a sharp pain shoot through her cheek where Mitsuko's attack struck her face. She fell to the ground, hand on her face. She could feel blood running through her fingers. Her vision was blurred, but slowly returning. All she could see was Mitsuko, standing over her with a triumphant look on her face.

So, that's how it was going to be. This was the end. She wasn't going to survive. She wasn't going home again. She would never see her mother, or her father. None of her friends. Well, the friends that weren't already dead. Which wasn't many.

"Yoshi..." Noriko called out, crawling her way to his prone form. She didn't even care that Mitsuko was there. She wanted to spend her final moments with the one person who cared about her. Her hand found Yoshitoki's squeezing it as hard as she could.

Noriko looked up at Mitsuko, a defiant look in her eyes. If she was going to kill her, then she was going to make sure Mitsuko would remember her face. She wasn't going to roll over and let her do what she wanted to her.

She would be remembered by her killer.

Return to “Northern Cliffs (A8/9)”