Go for Broke

open

Two floors down from the primary deck of the cruise ship, another terrace of deck just out, primarily given over to a massive swimming pool. This pool is full of clean, fresh water, and arrayed around it are a wide range of beach towels, pool chairs, and water toys—the latter including dozens of pool noodles and boogie boards, as well as a pair of inflatable pool toys (one yellow duck and one green alligator), each large enough for a grown adult to ride. Back next to the entrance to the corridors is a small stand that sold ice cream; though it has been emptied of sweet treats it provides better cover than anything else in the immediate vicinity.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

People were talking and talking and talking. And Bacchia really wished that Nadine and Luanne were not involved in this situation as she only wanted herself and RJ to deal with just Anthony. Well, it looked like the two girls were going to be caught up in this mess regardless or not she told them to go oof somewhere else. Luanne seemed like she wanted everyone to stop what they were doing and Bacchia gave her a brief, sympathetic look. She understood how Luanne might be feeling, but it was too late for that right now. They had to get rid of an issue and that main issue was Anthony himself. Nadine and Luanne were not her targets. Not now at least. Unless later down the line.

"That's funny, Anthony." She commented with a small smile and her finger was touching the white fabric of her shirt, humming softly. "Leo's death was an accident. Sure, it was accidental murder.... But there is a difference between that and good, old, plain murder. Also yes, I was with a player group, I'll admit that, and yes, I murdered one of my closest friends. Calla.... Calla and I have talked about what we would do if we were here and we both agreed that we would have killed each other at some point. It's just how she and I were. We all have different mindsets about this show. I can't deny any of that."

She took a step closer to where Anthony had been heading backwards to. She couldn't let him get away. He was going to kill more innocents.

"Also, it's a bit rich coming from you, Anthony. What makes you any better than us honestly? You've already killed two people yourself. Yes, I know Beau asked you to do it, but saying that you are killing people for justice. How fucking stupid can you be?" She asked with a clean sneer now present on her face. "Honestly, you saying that you don't feel bad about killing Pippi makes me feel sick. Disgusted. You say that she wanted to die? Bullshit. That blood on that board is hers? Isn't it? I bet you smashed her head in with it like a wild beast."

She paused and she looked at the two girls more seriously.

"I think you two should leave. Before he kills you too in his delusional, self-righteous path of revenge. He's going to snap sooner or later and I don't want you to both see him in a rampaging wrath of vengeance."
AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by AnimeNerd »

A lot was happening in the span of a minute. Everything happens so much.

Luanne was not happy with the situation. Wanted to try and have some peace. Before, RJ would've definitely been on her side. To just talk and not try to fucking kill each other. But that was past RJ. Present RJ knew better. Present RJ knew, the moment he lowered his gun, the other boy in the room would make him regret it.

Nadine just wanted an explanation. That was fair. She just wanted to comfort a grieving girl five minutes ago, and now she was dealing with potentially life-ending drama. RJ wouldn't have minded giving her an explanation.

Then Anthony chose to speak more and RJ could almost feel his blood boil. RJ had told him the entire story with Leo, and not only did he make it sound like he was a cold-hearted bastard, but he couldn't even be bothered to remember the victim's name?

And, not only that, but he had killed Pippi. The girl that had fucking saved Anthony and sided with him, even after he very clearly tried to kill her, and she was dead because-what, she was apparently responsible for Mateo dying? Something she was probably trying to make up for, if her previous interventions meant anything?

It didn't matter that Pippi's last words to RJ were telling him to fuck off-it didn't even matter that he'd been right about Anthony killing her during his exit from the patrol boat. What mattered was that Pippi was dead, Anthony killed her, and he didn't feel a drop of remorse.

Bacchia more or less took the words right out of his mouth. He'd have to thank her, after this confrontation. Only a few things he thought he needed to add, really.

"You can moralize all you want, Anthony, but it won't change things. Doesn't change the fact that you tried to kill me while I was sobbing on the ground and vulnerable, while Bacchia didn't try to kill me in my sleep. Doesn't change the fact that Pippi actually helped you, and you chose to pay her back by killing her."

RJ stepped forward as well when Anthony took a step back.

"And if you can't even be bothered to remember the name of the guy you tried to avenge? The one that was-supposedly-your friend? You're not the fucking good guy."

It took half his self-control not to scream that. The other half kept himself from shooting.

One of them was not going to walk away from this. That much RJ was sure of.
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

This was all just very American.

Well, the speech didn't quite work. It was like they hadn't even heard her. Everything proceeded completely on script. Which was a bad thing. Because the script led to murder. And everyone was talking a lot, so it was just all a lot, and it all kind of turned into white noise at a certain point. But it was clear that everyone was high on their own farts and they thought that it was okay for them to be morally inconsistent only because they were them.

So Luanne was gonna disengage from the argument. Because she was this close from trying to grab RJ's gun and then forcing everyone (especially Anthony) to get the fuck over themselves at gunpoint. And that was a good way to get someone accidentally shot. And threatening people with guns usually didn't work, and it was also usually a bad thing to do. So she wasn't gonna do that.

During the monologues, Luanne stepped backwards.

"Ask them them to define heroes and villains or something like that. Derail them, force them to be self-aware," she whispered to Nadine.
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

A few things had been cleared up as everyone rushed to explain themselves. The goth girl's name was Bacchia, RJ had killed Leo, and Luanne's friend who Anthony killed was Pippi. Past that, there was a lot of shaky justifications, contradicting information, barely-filtered anger. RJ hadn't put the gun down, and the other two were still poised for a fight. The situation was only intensifying. She was half-tempted to bolt, but she couldn't be sure all this wouldn't follow her back to the dining hall. For all she knew, Shoshanna and Rhonda were in the midst of a breakthrough; even if they weren't, she'd rather not risk getting them tangled up in all this.

Luanne wanted her to intervene; the overwrought poetry hadn't worked, so now she wanted backup. She'd oblige, though perhaps not to the exact letter of what Luanne wanted. This would be less opining about "heroes and villains" and closer to something between morality play and recruitment campaign.

"I don't really trust any of you, if you want the truth, Anthony," she said, disappointment plain on her face. "Perhaps you least of all. I thought better of you than... this."

It stung to admit that. It felt almost like she'd never known him.

"And I've seen what you get up to firsthand," she glowered Bacchia's way. "As for Leo... I can't pretend to know why you did it, RJ, but I'll admit, I kinda hate you for it. Leo was a good dude."

She wasn't sure how much shame was gonna work on this crowd; she didn't know RJ well enough to get a read on him, Anthony didn't seem entirely there anymore, and Bacchia seemed particularly shameless. The next bit was hopefully what would get them on board.

"But I'm not innocent either. Marion's death is my fault, regardless of the circumstances. Any explanation of it would just sound like an excuse."

They didn't need to know that she could barely stomach the memory of it, much less speaking it aloud.

"It'd be hypocritical for me to pass judgement on the rest of you - especially if I was trying to judge whether you deserve to live or die. All of us have killed someone, regardless of why. Morally speaking, no one here has a leg to stand on, self included."

Luanne excluded, but this wasn't for her benefit anyway.

"So instead of looking for an excuse to kill each other and trying to justify yourselves to me, we could cool it a bit and focus on the actual enemy." She flicked her collar, and it gave a metallic *ping* in response. "There's more ways out of here than killing your way out. That's what Marion and I were working towards, in fact, along with others. A better way out."
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Applesintime
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Applesintime »

"What makes me better?" Anthony repeated Bacchia's words, letting out an exasperated chuckle. These people were so far gone, weren't they? Their Character had pretty much absorbed them at this point; RJ and Bacchia both stuck in their mindset that they have to kill, and of course, Anthony was the bad guy because he wanted to stop them. Stop them from playing, stop them from murdering more than they already had done. It was necessary. "What fucking makes me better is that I'm not exactly going around oh, shooting innocent people, eh, RJ? The people I kill are killers! Pippi killed Mateo, and for that she died. And Luanne can back me up; she wanted to die. And Beau asked me to do it, and that's why I killed him, but he's the only innocent life I will take. Don't you fucking dare equate me with you and your fucking murder group, Bacchia. I don't go around murdering my friends, but I suppose that's something you two have in common." He was shaking. Fucking cunt.

He wouldn't apologise for trying to kill a player, no matter how many crocodile tears he had cried over his murder when he met Anthony. RJ had proven to him that Anthony simply should have picked up the gun and shot him in the head. There would be one less player in the world, one less murderer, and Leo would be avenged. But he had choked. He wasn't going to do that again. One player was dead at his hands, and God willing, these two would follow her.

"Leonard Kenter. I remember him, I was his friend. What the fuck do you remember about him, you inbred fuck? What he looked like when you murdered him? How it made you feel? Because RJ, you may fucking frame it as an accident, but you pulled the trigger. You don't do that on accident." He made another move towards the ice cream cart. If RJ started trying to murder him, it would be cover. And if he needed to ten-toe it out of there, then it was close to the entrance.

It should have stung that Nadine was disappointed in him. It didn't. All he felt was more anger. He was being compared to them? To two murderers?

"So, you're a player." As soon as Nadine revealed she had murdered Marion, Anthony's grip on the board tightened just a little more. It was like a practical joke. Three killers here, right in front of him, and not one of them could be killed because of the cunt with a gun, and it wasn't like his bandana trick would work. No justice for Calla, nor Leo, nor Marion. Ezekiel 33:8. 'If I say to the wicked, O wicked one, you shall surely die, and you do not speak to warn the wicked to turn from his way, that wicked person shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand.' Now, he couldn't exactly tell Seo-yun or Eric or what have you not to go around killing people, but he could make sure they never murdered another person again. They would die in their iniquity.

"Trust me, Nadine, I wish it could be like that." His brow softened for a second, the anger and rage gone, but then it returned. "But this is on them. The players. They are the enemy, the wolves. And no matter how much you all may try and compare me to them, I will keep fucking hunting these murderers." He cast a glance at RJ and Bacchia. "Because if you guys want a chance to escape, someone must make sure the players can't play. Those two'd just shoot you in your sleep. God knows he isn't unfamiliar with murder." He didn't understand why they kept comparing him to them. He wasn't a player, not like them.
[+] Current Kids
SOTF U
P011: Charlotte "Charlie" Vandermeyer - Road Flares (x10) + BluRay Copy of John Carpenter's The Thing - is bemoaning the goddamn MREs in Beasts All Over the Shop
[+] Future Kids
Second Chances
Anna Hitchins has some totes cool ideas!

SOTF-TV
John MacMillan Jr. doesn't have much to say.
[+] Past Kids
SOTF International
O06: Deirbhile Callahan - 50 Valentines Cards - "This is my fucking life. It’s mine to live. It’s mine to fucking take, too." She resisted in Slán Abhaile. [24/29]
Intl: 1 2 3

SOTF-TV V3
BC09: Gregory Miller - Bolas - "Why?" He landed in splat. [17/81]
Sandbox: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

BC04: Anthony Golden - Fake Nautical Mask - The so-called hero. He met his fate in All The World's a Stage. [4/81]
Memories: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

SOTF Supers
S009: Stephen Sanders - Osteokinesis - "Nobody's going to kill just because furries told us to." He went home. - Kids Like You Should Be Burning in Hell.
Supers: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Aftermath: 1 2
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Bacchia's eyes widened slightly at some of the words that RJ's words as they were basically calling Anthony out on his high and mighty bullshit and she still had a firm grip on her sword by her side. She almost wondered how James was doing with the others. Almost. She couldn't worry about them in this moment of intensity and she focused her vision back on Anthony. So Anthony killed a girl that protected his ass that should have been whipped regardless and Bacchia felt her urge to roll her eyes at the sheer pettiness at it all. But she held back as it wasn't the time for that.

Then Nadine spoke up about not trusting any of them and Bacchia found herself respecting her for that. None of them were trustworthy at all. She gave her reasons why and Bacchia could only look at her and give a small nod. Ah, she had seen what Vasily had done to Calla's body and Bacchia found herself wincing as she had never went back to see what he had done to her. She wasn't going to correct Nadine on her take. It didn't matter for now in this moment. Then Nadine spoke about how Marion dying was her fault and that she couldn't really judge the rest of them and all that blah blah. But then she was talking about something else to do other than killing each other. Escape? That seemed like it was what Nadine was saying.

"Ah, you're talking about escaping, Na-"

She was suddenly cut off by a stubborn mule known as Anthony and she found herself frowning at his unwanted words. This guy was basically just trying to make an enemy out of everyone and she wanted to facepalm at his actions and words in general. He was belittling RJ and he was calling Nadine a player when it was obvious that she wasn't.

"You really don't understand anything, do you, Anthony?" Bacchia said with a shake of her head and she let out a small sigh of frustration. "I'm guessing you're trying to do an escape attempt, Nadine. But I don't think that's a path that I would want to go, but if it works for you, then I will congratulate you for being successful at it. You just called Nadine a player when it is obvious that she isn't like that at all and she only took Marion out by request. Like you did... with Beau. Not that you would listen to a murderer like me. I don't want to even kill these two girls right now, I just want to find my teammates and hopefully go for a team win."

She then gritted her teeth a little.

"If you want to stop us...." Bacchia glanced at RJ who still had the gun pointed at Anthony and then back at Anthony once again. "...You need to do better than trying to hide away like the coward you are, Anthony."
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

As much as it hurt, RJ understood Nadine not trusting him and hating him for what happened with Leo. It was the reaction he expected from most people at that point. At least Nadine wasn't like some other current company and said as much to his face. So even if he had to take a deep breath at that comment, RJ appreciated the honesty.

Plus, it didn't hurt that she had a point he could agree on. None of them actually had a moral leg to stand on, at least when it came to killing. RJ had killed in an accident, but still pulled the trigger. Nadine had killed in an attempt to mess with a collar, but she knew what could result from that. Bacchia had killed, and while she felt regret about it, regret wasn't going to bring the dead back to living. And Anthony could give any justification he could think of from that book of self-righteousness-he had killed two people, and last RJ checked, violence of any kind frowned upon in the Bible, if suicide meant an assured ticket to Hell.

But no matter how much he liked the idea of escape, of getting out alive with others and not killing anyone else...he couldn't see it. SOTF was a show about network executives making high schoolers kill each other. How often did that allow for people to escape? In over sixty seasons that had happened, how many people had removed their collars and survived by escaping? RJ doubted it could be that many. The odds were stacked in the favor of the show runners, not the average high schooler. And when push came to shove, he felt it was more likely a group attempting an escape would only find failure in the end.

He would've wished them luck despite those thoughts-even if he couldn't see it, he wouldn't blame others for attempting it-when Bacchia spoke, only to get cut off by Anthony. Anthony, who apparently knew as much about de-escalation as he did hypocrisy. It would've been so easy to just. Pull the trigger. End this while he was still talking. Make sure no one else had to die for what could've been an accident or self-defense.

And then the fucker has the gaul-the absolute audacity-to try and guilt shame him. Anthony, murderer of two people, one of which was stabbing someone in the back, shaming RJ for being terrified and not in his right mind in that moment. Nadine could claim some form of moral high ground-she was trying to do some good with her kill at least-but Anthony?

Fuck Anthony.

His mouth stayed in a frown, but couldn't help but sneer in disgust at Anthony. As soon as Bacchia finished her piece to speak about, he let his own out.

"Leo was an only child at sixteen years old. His dad is a lawyer and he has an uncle that's an author. Said uncle made Leo so interested in reading and books that he chose to start writing himself, to the point he wanted to become a writer too, despite his dad wanting him to follow in his footsteps. And he was the kind of person that, even after I fucking shot him, the last thing he said wasn't cursing me with his dying breath, but asking me to help his ally."

Tears were starting to prick at the corners of his eyes. He blinked them away as fast as he could. He needed his vision unburied for this moment.

"So what you're doing? Everything that you've been doing? I feel certain he'd be ashamed of it."

You want to go for emotional wounds? Fine, but don't expect him to not bite back.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Luanne's lip shook. She inhaled quietly, then exhaled.

"If you have a weapon, ummmmm, now might be a good time to get it?" she whispered to Nadine.

Then she inhaled again, clenched her fists, and took a big heavy stomp forwards.

And this is what she would have done, if she had a script and talking was a free action:

She would have looked at Anthony, and then she would have looked at RJ.

"Listen, fuck you, you're both dumb fucking pissbabies," she would have spat. "Blah blah blah, all you fucking do is talk about yourselves. All you fucking want is to get the last word in. You're completely egocentric and trapped inside yourselves. You're talking about the good guys and bad guys, like any of that's real. Like any of your bullshit matters. You're just dragging everyone else down with you. Because collateral damage is okay because you think you're right. You're small white men with weapons. You both suck and if either of you talk back, I'm going to strangle you. I haven't killed anyone. I have nothing to prove. I have nothing to sell you."

She would have taken a breath.

"Blah blah blah fucking blah, hooray for your side, fuck off. It doesn't matter what you say. Nobody gives a crap. It's cheap. Stop trying to sell us your side, because nobody's buying it. It doesn't change anything, doesn't effect anyone, doesn't help anyone. I don't care about your motives, because those don't mean anything to anyone except you. What matters is what you do. So that's what I'm going to talk about."

Then, she would have looked at RJ, because he was the least likely to talk back.

"RJ, you're waving a gun around like that isn't how you shot Leo. You're talking about his hopes and dreams, like that makes him special. Everyone has hopes and dreams. Anthony has hopes and dreams. Maybe Leo was an accident, but Anthony won't be. I know if Nadine and I leave, you'll shoot him. He didn't make you walk around that corner. It won't be self-defense. It'll be premeditated murder."

She would have then looked at Anthony.

"Anthony, you waited for me to leave my friend alone. Then you bludgeoned her to death with a two-by-four. She was unarmed. She didn't want to die. She didn't want to live, but she didn't want to die. Mateo snuck up behind her in the dark, right after someone tried to literally light her and I on fire. She could have been anyone. Now you're here covered in her blood, acting like she's Saddam fucking Hussein. You're talking about hunting people down. If you're hunting them while they're hunting you, if that makes them predators, you're a predator too."

But of course, Luanne did not have a script. So instead this was what she did:

She looked at Bacchia.

"Hi Bacchia, I like your, um, goth hair?"

Then she looked at Anthony.

"Anthony, ummm, I think probably what you should do is start running before you talk me into letting RJ know he left the safety on - OH UM I MEAN -"

She didn't know if it was actually on, but it didn't matter, (because she was lying). This thing had already been pushed beyond the point where defusal was possible. So she was doing a controlled detonation. Anthony could run away while RJ was fumbling around with the safety. And everyone would get to walk away and stop wasting all this time she could be using to do important escape stuff.

Unless RJ managed to shoot Anthony in the back. Or Anthony attacked RJ.

Was this the right thing to do?

She didn't know. But she was doing her best, and nobody could do better than their best.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Intervening hadn't accomplished much. She'd figured at least one of them would be down for the escape plan, but instead she'd gotten three pretty solid "no's," had Anthony throw a veiled threat her way, and gotten everyone even more keyed up and emotional. Her efforts to cool the situation down had only made everything run even hotter. That Anthony had proven to be the hardest to calm, the greatest obstacle to a peaceful end to this, was a huge shock to Nadine. She was gonna have to butt in here, she figured, and try to specifically focus on settling him down.

Or she would've done that, if Luanne hadn't stepped forward to open her mouth and effortlessly stuff it with her own foot.

She inched back towards the railing, and towards the way inside. If this bit of news didn't make Anthony go for RJ, he'd shock her twice today.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Applesintime
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Applesintime »

While RJ and Luanne and whoever rambled on and on, Anthony murmured to his collar. "Ben, what do I do here? Make a run for it? Bait them closer?"

"Oh yes, Bitchia, I'll just charge the guy with a gun like I'm in the Somme. Brilliant fucking idea. Absolutely fucking cracker, well done! Where's your fucking honorary degree, you stupid fucking cunt!" Maybe she was right about Nadine, and if that was true, he couldn't exactly fault her for that. But, ah, he hadn't fucking heard the announcement. "Oh, and, Ben? Was it a mercy kill?" He needed to know. He needed to know before he made his choice on whether Nadine was going on his scorecard or not. "Alright then, how do I 'stop you'?" Anthony repeated, making air quotes with his free hand, glaring at RJ and Bacchia, his lips pursed tightly. And then RJ spoke, accusing him of not caring about Leo, and spitting out a bunch of bullshit in a shitty attempt to make his murder seem legitimate.

"He was on the football team because his dad pressured him to join at first, and while he didn't like it, he wanted to make his dad happy. He-he also liked jogging, we sometimes did it together whenever we met up. Sometimes, he'd, he'd take pictures of some of the scenery and shit as we jogged by. You-you wanna keep fucking going, RJ? Because I can do this ALL FUCKING DAY!" He let himself go there, and it wasn't good, to let his emotions get the better of him, but how dare that little shit try to imply that Anthony was the bad guy here, and Leo would actually be mad at him, instead of the person who killed him. He knew Leo would support him. They would all be supporting him if he were here, the victims of these murderers. Beau, Giselle, Leo. More than that, He was supporting him, and in the end, that's the one that mattered the most.

RJ said more things. It didn't matter. He was still ruminating over what Nadine had said. In a way, it did make sense. If she wanted to escape why would she murder someone? That made no sense, but the idea of it being a mercy kill did. "Nadine, if you're not a killer, then tell me how it went down. Tell me why you had to kill her. Or shit, did you even mean to kill her? Because truth be told, Nadine, I would very much like it for you to make it out of this thing alive. I reckon that you deserve it a lot more than your company. And, really, I would rather fucking hunt down true players, not just someone who committed a mercy kill. I would be a hypocrite if I did that." As he spoke, he shifted his view from the two players to Nadine, and the girl besides her spoke all of a sudden, and then Anthony just. Stared.

"Luanne," Anthony continued after a short pause, still staring at Luanne, "do you think I'm fucking thick? Do you think I came out of the fucking Thames without a fucking brain in my head? It's a bolt-action rifle. Bolt-action rifles don't have safeties. That's because of the bolt. That's the safety. Are you intentionally trying to get me killed?" Of course, he already knew the answer to that question. Dunkno she was. She was trying to get him shot by RJ, so they could all have a jolly good laugh about how they murdered someone who just wanted the best for the innocent people. Fucking paigons, that's what they were. Judases, ready to stab him in the back because of the thirty pieces of silver the opulent cunts viewing this whole thing offered to them.

Admittedly, he had to respect the sheer balls it took to try and lie to someone just to get them shot - OK, maybe balls wasn't the right word. Guts? Cowardice? The specific wording didn't matter. Did bolt-action rifles have safeties? Was she actually telling the truth? No, either way, it was better to err on the side of caution. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Even still, he retreated towards the exit leading to the corridors. Maybe RJ would decide to shoot, and then, hey, he would be grateful he hadn't fallen for the bait.

"Ben? Soon as you can. mate."
[+] Current Kids
SOTF U
P011: Charlotte "Charlie" Vandermeyer - Road Flares (x10) + BluRay Copy of John Carpenter's The Thing - is bemoaning the goddamn MREs in Beasts All Over the Shop
[+] Future Kids
Second Chances
Anna Hitchins has some totes cool ideas!

SOTF-TV
John MacMillan Jr. doesn't have much to say.
[+] Past Kids
SOTF International
O06: Deirbhile Callahan - 50 Valentines Cards - "This is my fucking life. It’s mine to live. It’s mine to fucking take, too." She resisted in Slán Abhaile. [24/29]
Intl: 1 2 3

SOTF-TV V3
BC09: Gregory Miller - Bolas - "Why?" He landed in splat. [17/81]
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

BC04: Anthony Golden - Fake Nautical Mask - The so-called hero. He met his fate in All The World's a Stage. [4/81]
Memories: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

SOTF Supers
S009: Stephen Sanders - Osteokinesis - "Nobody's going to kill just because furries told us to." He went home. - Kids Like You Should Be Burning in Hell.
Supers: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Aftermath: 1 2
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

"Death ain't a fuckin' mercy, but she's not your enemy for now.

"Now, tactics? Make it so you can't miss. Get a steady shot, make trouble come funneling in toward you 'cuz you only have one shot before everyone knows how serious you are and that's when all bets are off."
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Bacchia was about to respond calmly but then-

Gunshots.

A girl's voice was screaming.

Something shattering inside of the banquet hall. Where Calla's body still was possibly.

"Oh shit." She murmured in disbelief.

Something was going down there and she didn't want to be around for any more chaos. She had just wanted RJ to get his revenge on Anthony, however, it looked like it was not the time for that now.

"RJ, we need to leave. Now!"

She turned and jogged over to him, grabbing him by his arm. Dragging him away and hoping that he wouldn't stop and stay behind in the upcoming disaster.

((Bacchia Rubus continued in Love Secret Desire)
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Maybe Anthony wasn't the only one in the area that had lost their mind. Despite knowing Anthony was dangerous, apparently Luanne wanted to trip RJ up and potentially do something stupid that would get him killed. He still focused on Anthony in front of him, but RJ saw Luanne in the corner of his eye and saw there was some pink on her. Team bandana? Pippi was on the pink team, if he remembered right. Was this a pink team thing? Wanting to save people that were very clearly dangerous? Because RJ was starting to think it was a pink team thing.

Anthony kept saying things, and RJ was just considering pulling the trigger as the blonde spoke. End things then and there, and not even letting the psycho continue spewing his bullshit. He wasn't sure about the reality of what it would feel like, knowingly shooting someone and purposefully killing them, but he was certain he'd feel less regret than what happened with Leo.

And there was a gunshot. And screaming. Then another gunshot and something fragile breaking.

'Oh fuck.'

Did RJ want to kill Anthony? Yes. He may not be too happy afterwards, but if it meant getting revenge, as well as keeping some other people safe, he could probably get over it and live with it.

Was he willing to risk his own life to get rid of the psycho? Hell no.

RJ was already taking a couple steps back as Bacchia grabbed him and pulled. He didn't need to be told twice to leave, but he did want to make sure of one thing.

He gave one last look to the area. He didn't look at any of the three specifically, just in their general direction as he glared.

"Don't follow us!"

[[RJ Blackburn continued in Love Secret Desire]]
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

And then that was over... just like that?

Okay.

Luanne took a step back. Then a stumble. Then another step back, past Nadine. And then she just took a moment to finally catch her fucking breath.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

The sound of gunfire echoed through the air, emanating from nearby; from where Shoshanna and Rhonda were. Everything on the pool deck blurred as Nadine's attention shot back to the connecting passageway, eyes wide in horror. Was it happening again? Was she gonna run in there to see yet more of her allies bleeding out on the floor? The temptation to run to their aid was immense, but she knew it would be stupid to do so. What use was she in any fight, much less a gunfight? She'd probably only put the others in more danger by rushing in.

She looked back to see Bacchia and RJ fleeing at the sound, leaving Nadine alone with Luanne and Anthony. Luanne clung to the railing in exhaustion, worn out but perhaps at least a little relieved. Anthony seemed furious with her for her idiotic ploy. Honestly, it was the only reaction he'd displayed so far that she could understand.

He'd asked about Marion's death. If this had been her friend Anthony, she'd have told him. But whatever Anthony was now, he definitely wasn't her friend. He wasn't asking for her benefit, he wasn't offering solace; he was appraising her. Trying to judge whether she deserved to live or not. And really, it sounded like he'd already made his choice the moment she'd admitted to killing Marion. Now he expected her to... what? Cry for him? Beg for her life? Give him every gruesome detail of that night and hope it was enough to satisfy him?

He wasn't gonna get that.

"So, you asked me how Marion died," she replied, staring at him blankly, "but honestly, after what I've seen, I don't think I owe you that explanation, Anthony."
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi