The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living

(multishot / pm for entry thread hybrid thing i guess (I'm a diva and i have THINGS to DO and if you impede them ill CRY!))

Two floors down from the primary deck of the cruise ship, another terrace of deck just out, primarily given over to a massive swimming pool. This pool is full of clean, fresh water, and arrayed around it are a wide range of beach towels, pool chairs, and water toys—the latter including dozens of pool noodles and boogie boards, as well as a pair of inflatable pool toys (one yellow duck and one green alligator), each large enough for a grown adult to ride. Back next to the entrance to the corridors is a small stand that sold ice cream; though it has been emptied of sweet treats it provides better cover than anything else in the immediate vicinity.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Luanne Grasset lay awake huddled behind a pool chair, staring at the inside of her eyelids.

The girl whose name Nadine had shouted. Shoshanna. She was gone now. And so was the goth girl whose hair Luanne had complimented yesterday. And the boy the goth girl had been with; the one with the gun. Anthony had killed him with an axe, which was presumably the one he'd found in the pool. So that meant Anthony had a gun now too. And that was scary. And then Anthony had killed one of Noreen's friends with some kind of acid, and Luanne didn't want to think about that at all.

She opened her eyes and groaned, because pool decks weren't meant for sleeping on, and now all of her bones hurt.

Part of her wished she'd killed Anthony when she'd had the chance, because then he wouldn't have done any more murdering. And so she felt a little bit responsible for that. But at the same time, well, it wasn't like it was her fault that he was an asshole who thought that he was in the right because he killed people who looked at him funny. And, short of killing him or breaking all his limbs or whatever, she'd tried the best she could have done to stop him, she was pretty sure.

And anyways, it wasn't like she could do anything about it now. So she wasn't gonna get all caught up on something she couldn't change.

She sat up a little, and then she lifted her hand to her face and brushed the hair out of her eyes. And she looked at the sky.

She frowned.

"Of course today is cloudy."
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nothing. This is nowhere. We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nowhere. There is no one here.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Time passed.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nothing. This is nowhere. We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nowhere. There is no one here.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"I'm gonna talk about death.

"I'm not really sure if I'm scared anymore. I'm mostly just tired.

"And I don't really know if I care about living. I don't know if I ever really have? I think I'm just wired wrong in that way.

"And I know I'm just a person like everybody else in this place. I'm not that important.

"And you can survive this place but then die from something normal like a car crash or a mass shooting. Everybody dies one day, even Jewel.

"And the life that I'll be stuck with after this, I don't think there's any way for it to be worth living for me."

"So then why am I still trying to escape?

"I've got something to prove."
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Time passed.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"Now I'm just sad. And scared. But mostly sad.

"I'm okay, though.

"I'll be okay with whatever happens. However I die, I'll be okay.

"Jewel wanted to fight death. People like you want to face it. But I don't think I want either of those things."
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Time passed until the sky cleared.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"..."

Wordlessly, Luanne picked up the lens and held it above the dead boy's collar. The sunlight focused down through, onto a part of the collar's seam pretty far away from the cameras housed inside.

Time passed.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

The plastic began to blister and smoke.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Her heartrate picked up, and she leaned in closer.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

[+] It beeped.
I T ' S
G O O D W H A T N O S T A L G I A
A R E N O T Y O U
S H O U L D 2 4 C R Y I N G ?
H O U R S A R T
A
D O ? ( T H A T C O U N T S N O W
D A Y
L U C K ! А .
W h o ' s a f r a i d N O
D N O T H I N G E v e r y
U e v e r y t h i n g i s o v e r
o f t h e
I ' V E G O T E v e r y t h i n g I s O v e r E V E R Y T H I N G I S O V E R
T S O M E T H I N G N e w 1 0 0 G O N e v e r y t h i n g i s o v e r
S O . N . L . Y
P L E A S E
E V E R Y T H I N G I L O V E
I S O V E R
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Luanne fell backwards as it exploded.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

She didn't get up.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Luanne wasn't really sure what she was anymore. Empty ghosts, coils of electricity, suspended animation devices. She had nothing left now, which was kind of nice, since it meant there was nothing left for them to take away.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

(Nadine Flores continued from I am blue and unwell)

There was good and bad to the past few days, it seemed. Mostly bad, but "mostly" was still better than "entirely".

On the bad side of things, most of Nadine's allies so far were dead, and the remnants were nowhere to be found. Her primary avenues for escape were rendered out of reach by Shoshanna's death and the loss of her notes, and the ideas Nadine had come up with in the meantime seemed like stretches, at best. Her mentor didn't seem to be talking to her, and their team was hemorrhaging members, which didn't make that path to survival any less unpalatable than before. A bunch of her friends had died elsewhere on the flotilla, without her even knowing they were there until the announcements gleefully declared they were gone. Two people she'd spoken with mere hours ago had both died horribly as well. One of them at the hands of a former friend of hers, who also wanted her dead and who she clearly wasn't done dealing with yet.

Harder to quantify was Matias, whose leg made him even more of a slow-moving burden than Nadine herself had been. Who wouldn't be able to protect Nadine if danger arrived, and who Nadine probably couldn't protect in turn. Who'd not been the most charming personality in the few hours they'd known each other. Who'd seemed rather at ease with killing his way out before Seo-yun took that option away from him.

The notion to abandon him lingered in some dim corner of her mind. But his predicament was at least a little her fault. And fuck, he was still someone; even having Matias around was better than having nobody.

There were boons, however minuscule. The ship had running water, with the cabins having their own showers. She'd spent much of the day getting repeatedly doused in blood, so any method to wash all that off was appreciated. She'd also changed out of the ridiculous costume she was wearing for the team-colored outfit, so she no longer looked like she stepped off the cover of a bad fantasy novel.

More importantly, returning to the pool had proven fruitful. Luanne was here, seemingly having never left since the earlier chaos. She was laying there, motionless, but she didn't seem physically hurt; the boy next to her was considerably less lucky. He was one of the dead kids who'd been floating in the pool earlier, and it looked like Luanne had tried - and failed - to get his collar off. It didn't look like Luanne was taking it too well, either. She hadn't noticed their approach, lost in whatever was going through her head.

"You may wanna hang back, Matias," she said, without turning back to face him. "I doubt you're her favorite person right now."

Nadine wasn't certain she would be a winner with her either. But there was at least a chance Luanne wouldn't be angry with her, whereas Matias had made a very poor first impression. The last thing anyone needed was a repeat of the morning's circus act out here.

She walked out onto the pool deck proper, crouched down by Luanne, and spoke.

"Luanne?"
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

((Matias Juarez continues from Wisdom (Part 2)))

The thing about losing almost all your friends early on was that there were less and less names to look out for. Which was a small mercy, he supposed, the same way falling off a cliff and snapping both your legs clean in half meant, at least, that he had no more legs to break. Small mercy.

More and more of the announcements became just noise to him, details to note down. It had been like that at the start, he'd been all lone and stranded ever since Leslie died, but he was at the point where his eyes dilated while Ritzy Knives or something like that made snarks about acid throwings and mercy drownings. Though, there were some things of note, like fellow crab, and former (perhaps) friend Anthony going well and truly off the deep end, being the acid thrower in question, killing two people while presumably sermoning about how they had their death coming and justice was truly upon them and God would judge them in the end and on and on and on, amen.

Other crab Eric was also dead, that was also pretty fucking funny. Just exactly as he fucking predicted to his face two days ago, some other girl got the better of him apparently and now he went from a contender to a mid-game has-been⁠— had-been, he meant. Still going it on your own you fucking jerk-off? How the fuck's that working for you?

Miss Bladed Weapon finished off the most recent announcement, the one that had woken him up from his pain-induced half-sleep, by declaring the Crabs the current leaders of the team game. Six still standing, thirteen dead. Go team.

Not that that meant much of anything right now. He'd been keeping tabs with his binder of the dead and alive and all that. Of the six remaining, approximately none of them wanted to work together as a team, in the case of Gabby and Anthony. Or with him, at least. Maybe. Or he didn't want to work with them, in the case of Junji. Or, like, actually, he hadn't found the bee weirdo yet, maybe he'd be willing to team up? If Matias walking at a literal fucking snail's pace wasn't a dealbreaker for him, at least.

Not that any of those names really mattered in the whole scheme of things. He'd only really been looking for one name in particular, and that name hadn't been uttered by Ritzy, not once.

Ashanti wasn't dead yet apparently. Which meant that, at the very least, she'd survived the whole ballroom shootout with Seo-yun.

It also meant she'd left him.

He'd let the first announcement without her pass by without much thought, because sometimes announcers fucked up and forgot to announce a few deaths, kills, it happened. And then the second one, the one that'd happened just a few minutes ago, passed by, and he knew she was alive. She was alive and she'd left him, right after saving him.

It wasn't even a case of her getting lost. His injury meant that he'd either been in the ballroom or crawling along the corridors or chilling in one of the rooms the entire time. She could've easily come back for him at any time, had she been running from Seo-yun or the other girl. She could've found him, but she didn't, so she'd left him.

He wished he'd told her that Marion deserved to die. He wished he'd gotten to return that favor back to her.

His teeth grit against each other and his broken nostrils flared and he picked at the dried skin on his lips and he fumed and he boiled but it didn't really mean shit because he couldn't do shit about it. She'd seen him fall on his ass and decided it was time to cut and cut clean and he had fucking nothing to say about it because no one around him would give a fuck anyways.

Nadine had kept uneasy company with him for the past twenty four hours or so. They'd mostly discussed escape plans, not much more. She wouldn't really get why Ashanti leaving bothered him so fucking much because Ashanti had pushed her into the pool, apparently, and she was still pissed about a few wet clothes, boo-fucking-hoo.

Not like he fucking got it too. Whatever.

But yeah they'd had a few ideas. Nadine's plans had kinda fallen apart, what with one of her allies dying and the other being MIA, and said dead ally having the master plans in her hands. Matias had a few ideas in mind too at least. The collars had cameras which meant they ran on electricity, and there were working outlets in this ship, you do the math. Was just a matter of finding corpses around to test their hypothesis on since neither of them, Matias especially, didn't intend on being lab rats.

But, the thing was, to find corpses, you kinda had to, like, walk to the corpses to locate them in the first place. Which was a real fucking hard ask of him given the leg.

The broom Nadine had gotten him helped, kinda. It was probably the world's worst crutch, all rough on the hands and bottom-heavy as it was, a bit too small for him to keep perfectly in balance, but it worked enough to have him on two feet again, at least. Worked enough to improve his gait from clawing his way on the floor inch by inch to standing upright, dragging his dead leg inch by inch on the floor. That meant something, eh? At least if the danger zones closed in on him, like sharks circling closer and closer around, he could ask the producers for a little amnesty, a disabled pass, just give him an hour or so and he'd be good. He wasn't completely hopeless now, eh?

He'd gotten better at it. After escape talk subsided and after their little excuses at small talks faded away, Matias would get up, and head up to the end of the cruise ship corridor and back. About as much as he could manage. Like the teenage version of some retired septuagenarian accountant walking around and around and around the scarce linoleum hallways of the mall, idly listening to the speaker-provided Muzak while looping and looping and looping just to get his 10,000 steps in. Except somehow even sadder.

It wreaked havoc on his injury, and some moments he swore he could feel the wound ripping clean open, as if his entire leg would rip off like wet paper and just fall on the ground behind him. But, it wasn't staying still. It was never staying still.

When he very occasionally visited his dad's workplace in some nondescript office building in Coral Gables, he'd take the stairs up to his third-floor office rather than wait for the damn elevator. Because the elevator would take forever, you'd stand around doing shit for a whole entire minute, and you'd be crowded in with a bunch of nobodies while having to smile and say 'Nice to meet you' and all that. With the stairs, you were constantly moving, constantly making your way somewhere at least.

This whole escape thing hadn't been going many places for the past day. Part of the reason was his fucking leg, but also the fact that Nadine had sorta seemed to run out of ideas, and just. Like.

He could kill Nadine any moment if he wanted to. He had the glove gun in his bag, the bag he almost always kept slung around his shoulder these days. He could open the zipper, pull out the glove gun, punch her fucking lights out, and that would be that. Ashanti wasn't around to stop him and feel all uncomfy and shit. Not like she could abandon him any more than she already had. He could fight his way out for himself like he'd planned at the fucking start.

But the thing is, if he did that, he'd go from being immobile to being immobile and alone. And even if he didn't care for that, given the fact she had two working feet, he reckoned his chances of making it out the fight alive were 50/50 more or less. Maybe a bit generous.

And she was company. Uneasy company, awkward company, but company nonetheless.

But if this escape shit didn't start going any faster, if it became clear to him that there wasn't any way out here, then.

He slid his right pointer finger across the palm of his left hand. Something only he'd understand, now that Ashanti wasn't around. A revived tongue dying once more. Part of him disappearing once more. Whatever.

They'd made their way towards the pool slowly. Maybe they'd find people there, Nadine had reasoned. And they had.

He was surprised that, after all this time, Luanne was still just there, chilling out in the open. He was surprised she was still alive, as if nothing had happened. But he was also surprised that she hadn't heard him. Like, he was taking fucking forever to get over to the pool, dragging his broom around like an arthritis-afflicted janitor. But she'd been staring intently at this guy's neck for ages. They hadn't made any noise partly because Nadine didn't wanna startle her, but also because he thought it'd be funny to just sneak up on her like that.

And then a few things became clear. One, that guy over there was Kurt, corpse pulled up from the pool below. And second, she was playing with his collar, his now-exploded collar.

It was one thing to see his friend all drowned and pained beneath the surface, and it was another thing to see him so thoroughly defiled like this. Neck blown open, coagulated clumps of whatever-the-fuck splattered. Just utter devastation.

And, and then Nadine told him to hang back, as if she hadn't been part of the whole clusterfuck yesterday, and he laughed. He laughed because, like, no matter what plan he got in on, teaming up or escaping or whatever, it always ended up blowing up, literally in this case, like it all fucking fell apart, and it was just hilarious, cosmic sense, like what the fuck?

And also just, like, Luanne staring up into the sky all catatonic and shit, like maybe, probably, part of him had been broken over the past couple of days, but that shit looked funny as fuck.

He ignored Nadine, inched his way a bit closer to Luanne. Stood on his good leg, nudged her with his broom.

Looked back at Nadine.

"She dead?"
SC3:
Matias Juarez is fed up. He is currently walking home.
Pregame: now that you are broken by the seas, in the depths of the waters,
Memories: Vamô Detonar essa Porra!

Diego Larrosa is lost.
[+] ᵧₒᵤբₛ
[+] Supers
Dead:
SS35: Mattie Wilkinson can't stop thinking about the past. He tried his best to matter in There We Will Be, Like An Old Enemy. [14/43]
Previous Threads: would - I'm the Satellite and You're the Sky - I'll Be Your Friend in the Daylight Again - What Remains of Cyrus Vähi - Could You Spare My Blood? - Inertia
[+] TV3
TV3 Characters:
Dead:
BC03: Matias Juarez hates you, and you personally. It was all bullshit to him in the end. [24/81]
Previous Threads: Doves in the Wind - Chapter 46: Fantom Frigate - Matias & Me - Loyalty: 1 - Everything Is Going According to Plan - Loyalty: 2 - If I ever acquire wisdom, I suppose I'll be wise enough to know what to do with it - Go for Broke - Wisdom (Part 2) - The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living - The Distance Between the Landscape and Dusk - I Want to Conquer the World - Night Moves
Memory Thread: It's All So Incredibly Loud

SS11: Britnee Joyner (adopted from Somer!) heard something from a friend of a friend, and wants you to know about it. She gave the cameras one last smile in Out on the Sea, We'd Be Forgiven [37/81]
Previous Thread: It Matters if We All Live - 👁️👄👁️ -👁️📦👁️ - Wait a Minute! - Bravado - On the Way to Anywhere - I Want Blood, Guts, and Chocolate Cake
Pregame Threads: Now, Check That
Memory Threads: Let's Hit It 90 To Nothing
[+] SC2
Dead:
B16: "Badass" Johnny Lancer (adopted from Yugi!) is the diplomat with scars inside and out. He got what he deserved in Though Far Away, We're Still the Same [8/65]
Pregame: Hold Your Horses Now (We Sleep Until the Sun Goes Down).
Memories: Through the Dreamers, We Hear the Hum. They Say "Come On, Come On, Let's Go."
Previous Threads: I'm Looking For a Place to Start, But Everything Feels So Different Now - waste of words - Now, Wait, Wait, Wait for Me, Please Hang Around. I'll See You When I Fall Asleep - Sinking Man - Little Talks - There and Back Again - Your Bones - some day we may come to peace with the world within ourselves

B33: Damion Castillo is the perfectionist with cracks in his facade. He ran out of time in At Every Occasion, I'll Be Ready For The Funeral [38/65]
Previous Threads: Second Impressions - I'd Rather Be At The Aquarium.
Memories: Take a Bite of My Heart Tonight
[+] SOTF TV2
Dead:
CJ2 - Cathryn Bailey is the cynic who just wants respect. She lost control in Production Costs [4/72]
Previous Threads: A New Morning - Don't You? - The Jellies Experience - Makeup - Discordant - Stuck in the Middle with You - The Final Curtain - Grievances - Silver Lights - Going forward - Closing In
School: Whittree Secondary School
TB3 - Damion Castillo is the elitist who just wants to be good. He died a perfectly ordinary death in Lifdoff [65/72]
Previous Thread: Countdown
School: Davison Secondary School
pls give my kids friends tv3 version

Stephanie's Cuckaneers Today at 12:29 AM
maraoone was a mistake - cicada 2021

Return to “Cruise Ship: Open-Air Pool (Danger Zone)”