darkness

open, day 1

The Recesses consist of the lower, below ground levels of The Compound. Accessing The Recesses requires passing through the upper levels of the Compound itself and down its central, spiral staircase to the depths below. The Recesses are pitch black, even during the day, and the average person will need to use a flashlight to be able to see.

The rooms on the outer edges of below ground floors of The Compound contrast heavily with the ones above ground, with each being much larger and seemingly all having distinct intended purposes. Rooms vary from obstacle courses, to shooting galleries, to operating rooms, most of which have attached observation rooms with one-way glass panels. Two notable rooms consist of one full of decrepit, 70s era computers, and another that has a coal fired generator that takes up most of the room, with an exhaust pipe leading up into the ceiling and out.

Just like the above ground floors, furniture has been clearly displaced to create cover in the hallways, but only some of the furniture of the below ground floors has been moved in this way, in contrast to the above ground floors. As a result, the majority of the furniture within The Recesses remain seemingly undisturbed, though most useful items have still been removed.

THREAD LIMIT: 2

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

Lilith

Post by Lilith »

Jenelle was at the door.

Her fist was punching it. Knocking. She tried to open the door again.

But to no avail.

Skin? Tendons? Flesh?

Jenelle didn't know, until there was a (familiar for Yvette) pop on the door.

"Ew, what the fuck?"
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

"The bugs," Melodie tried to defend herself, "Are not my fault!"

Melodie wasn't scared of bugs. In fact, she wasn't really scared of that many things that couldn't hurt her, and these bugs look like they couldn't hurt her. She took a deep breath and then abruptly closed her mouth so that a fly wouldn't...fly... in.

She ignored Jenelle, even though her presence in the room is crushing, as if the concept of the worst thing that could ever happen happening was condensed into a person.

"Is Isabelle here?"

Deep down she knew that she wouldn't answer- not in words, anyways.

Actually, deep down, she knew she wasn't important to this scene. This was an act for Jenelle and whoever cared about her.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Astrid stood there like a statue until the singing bugs were no longer in her immediate vicinity. She stopped baring her teeth, and, inside her mouth, slid her tongue over where the fluid had dripped in.

She grimaced, then sniffled.

"Is my nose bleeding?" She asked, sniffling again and angling her head backwards once more.

Then, there was a sudden popping sound, and after that, a voice.

Astrid swung her light and pointed it towards the source.
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

There was chaos for a brief time.

Multitudinous legs and wings, bugs scrambling everywhere, and Yvette didn't know what to do. She stood still, and they swarmed over and around her feet, but the insect horde wasn't directly interested in her. They were on the move to somewhere else, up above, and so all she had to do was keep calm and quiet and out of their way to whatever extent she could.

That wasn't so easy in practice, especially when that quiet little popping sound cut straight through the clamor.

Astrid and Melodie were saying things, asking questions, and Yvette heard them but was no more able to engage with what they were saying than they'd been with her ramble.

"I don't know," she rushed out, and it was equally applicable to both.

She knew what she had to do, what she should still be doing, keeping Melodie relaxed and figuring out what the next move was, but inevitably her attention moved along with the beam of her flashlight, and Astrid's also, to highlight the newcomer.

"Jenelle," she called, half relieved and half anxious. "It's okay. It's me and Melodie and Astrid, and it's not dangerous here."
Lilith

Post by Lilith »

The jittering wasn't from the room.

There was Yves, and there was Melodie, and there was Astrid. None of them were the jittering.

She looked down at the floor, noticing the bugs because of the tingling at her ankles. She raised her foot and crushed some.

"Hey," her voice was soft and raspy. "What's meatmoss doing there?"
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

''The... the meat?''

''Or, like, me?''

She waved her hand at a cluster of bugs.

''And I don't really know why you'll have a bloody nose. But, well, try to see how metallic it tastes.'' Well, if it's myoglobin from herself it'll taste like blood, if it's mucus then it won't. But she was too busy frowning at Jenelle. And a little at Yvette, too, for pretending that everything wasn't not-alright and that it wasn't dangerous.

A beetle climbed on her thigh. Melodie picked it up. Hsi name would be Jefferson, she decided.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Astrid made no noticeable movements or sounds.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"This is where we woke up—or, where I woke up," Yvette said.

It was easier to engage with the ambiguity by assuming it meant what she wanted it to mean. That was how it went with Jenelle sometimes—she'd say things that could be read as mean or else as simply a little misguided. Yvette chose to give the girl the benefit of the doubt, in no small part because nobody else really did. Even after everything, she still thought well of Jenelle, still liked her and trusted her and felt safer with her around.

The bugs were still going everywhere, but the longer that persisted without anything worse coming of it, the less cause for concern it seemed. It was counter to the situation with Astrid and Melodie, which just felt more and more tense the more time passed without some kind of resolution, and Yvette just wanted them all to calm down and trust each other and work together but it seemed like that might not be happening.

She swept the light around the room, watching as the swarm of flying and crawling insects flashed through it like confetti, and realized how strange it was that they were completely uninterested in the illumination.

"Are you okay?" she asked Jenelle.
Lilith

Post by Lilith »

"Yeah fine. I'm fine."

She had never been less fine. Maybe once. Twice. One time with Yves. Another time in another.

"I'm fine."

She didn't look at the bugs. She had to ignore them. They gross her out. They made-

Jittering and chattering and clicking and ticking.

"I'm not fine." She cracked a soft smile. "I- I'm getting- I thought it'd be calm here but I was wrong."
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

Melodie made no plot-important movements or sounds.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Astrid's flashlight remained pointed at Jenelle.

"Yeah." She said before being cut off by a sudden, sharp screech.

Her flashlight shut off.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"It's—" Yvette started.

There was just too much. It was unrelenting, a continuous press of new problems and building stress and escalating complications and the closest she'd come to peace was that beautiful fifteen-second span where she thought that she and Astrid and Melodie had come to an agreement to simply sit here in the darkness.

Yvette's light was still shining even as Astrid's cut out. It was pointing at the ground now, though, Yvette's arm limp and void of purpose. She slumped lower, almost like she was relaxing but prompted by the precise opposite emotion.

"I, I just," she said, voice very small, like she felt.

She just wanted to help everyone. If they would calm down a little, she thought she might even be able to, but it wasn't fair to ask that when she'd been the least calm to begin. It wasn't right to begrudge their being afraid of meat, or bugs, or the dark. Yvette was afraid of things too.

If she couldn't help everyone, could she at least help someone?

Astrid was in the dark, whatever was happening there unknown. Melodie's crisis was at least quiet for now. The beam of Yvette's flashlight was settled right on Jenelle's sneakers, and the cockroaches tangling in the laces.

Yvette took three quick steps towards the girl, closing the distance by more than half.
Lilith

Post by Lilith »

"Yeah."

Same tone as Astrid. Jenelle never liked Astrid. Nothing against the girl herself. She was fine. Jenelle just didn't like Astrid.

But she spoke in the same tone.

She lowered her shoulders. A familiar hug from Yves. She didn't remember moving closer to Yves. She put her head on Yves' shoulder. She closed her eyes. Methodical. Step by step. Moving each inch per inch, one movement for each breath taken.

"I'll..." Her breathing was soft. It was sticky on Yves' neck. She almost felt bad. Almost. Her breathing stayed sticky. It stayed dank.

"Wanna' leave this place?"

Double meaning.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

An electronic crackle.

"Hello everyone," spoke the voice of the owl-masked woman. "It has come to our attention that none of you have killed each other yet, despite there being a few fights here and there. I just wanted to remind you all that you have five days to be the last person standing. If more than one of you is alive by the end of the fifth day, then we will just pop all of you like balloons and call it a wrap. However, I want to provide you all a little bit more of an immediate incentive. We all know how hard it is to quantify far-off problems, right? So let's make this more immediate. If at least one of you hasn't killed someone else by the end of today, then we're going to start popping one of you at random every hour on the dot until someone finally nuts up and gets their hands dirty. Now, I hope the seriousness of this situation is understood. Try not to dawdle. And remember, have fun, this'll be the last chance that most of you will get."

A second crackle. Silence.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

Melodie wanted to curl up and die.

Melodie did not display this train of thought to anyone.

Return to “The Recesses (Danger Zone)”