Double silver disaster

mmmmmuultishot?????????

The cargo hold and engine rooms of the cruise ship, as well as crew quarters and other areas not intended to be seen by the guests, comprise the bowels. These are the lowest points of the ship, and unlike the well-decorated upper levels, the aesthetic is sparse and functional. The bare metal walls are stained with rust, and low-hanging pipes are common. Given the ship's size, this area falls well below the waterline, leaving ambient noise strange and unsettling, and creating a stifling atmosphere. The cargo hold is full of wooden crates, creating an artificial maze, though most of the crates are empty and those that are not are mostly filled with screws and bolts rendered inoperable by manufacturing defects; these were brought in by the producers to populate the area.
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

A few moments later, there's a reply; the emotion behind the voice is difficult to distinguish.

"I do."
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Luanne closed her eyes, nodded her head, and placed the captain's log on the table. She wiped her eyes with her hand, and then dried it against her shirt.

She took a shaky breath in. And then out. And kept doing that slowly for a few seconds.

"If I die I die. I just - I -- I need it to matter how it ends. I need it to matter to someone. I - I just need to know that I mattered to someone."
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

The reply comes after a brief delay, faintly tinged with static.

"I understand.

"I don't know if this helps, but you matter to me. Enough for me to say this even though you could just be setting up your next shot. It's fine if you are. I don't mind.

"But more than that, you matter to a whole lot of people out there. They'll never fully understand, but nobody ever really does."
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

"I'm... here too. And you matter. I haven't seen Noreen say anything recently, but... you matter to her too. Nothing I've seen her say has given any indication that she doesn't care about what happens to you."
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Luanne was silent for more than a few seconds.

She snapped her bracelet against her wrist, and nodded her head again quietly.

"I'll need your help in a few moments if this doesn't work. So stay there, I guess. Unless I get killed."

She was quiet for a moment. Then, she reached into her backpack, and grabbed the rubber Jesus bracelets. She stepped over to the corpse, then folded one of the bracelets in half and slipped it between the collar and the corpse's neck.

"That's to let me know how hot the collar will get, if it doesn't explode. Just so I know whether I'll get burned if I try this on myself."

Then she actually, like, stuck another pair of alligator clips to the exact opposite part of the collar from where she'd connected the first. And then she connected them both to the portable generator.

She dragged the generator to what seemed to her to be an approximately safe distance away from the corpse.

She grimaced.

And then she flicked the switch.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

The collar beeped.

Luanne flinched back.

Nothing happened.

She just kind of stood there for roughly twelve seconds, staring silently with her mouth agape.

The collar exploded.

She just kind of continued standing there for a few more seconds. And then she turned off the generator.

Her eyebrows raised, and she laughed nervously.

"UM, HOLY FUCK, okay, um, um, fuck, I wasn't expecting that to actually work. That worked, right? Okay, okay, um, I was gonna ask you to, to, like, physically go get a producer that I could force to talk to me, but you probably don't need to do that."

She disconnected the now half-exploded jumper cables from the generator.

"Okay. Um, okay, okay. Pippi's plan, it was, um, it involved triggering a delayed detonation, then breaking the collar off while it was processing that, and then, like," she pantomimed throwing a frisby, "it exploding somewhere that didn't instantly kill us. And this lines up with that, so I think it might work. Okay. Um. Okay. I don't care if answering this question breaks mentor rules, because if you answer it, I'm probably gonna be able to make it out of here. There's one last part I need to test.

"Where's the nearest thing I can use to either cut or shoot off a collar? I need to make sure it won't instantly detonate one that's been zapped."
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

"Check the closets, maybe? These were for, um, supplypeople, after all."
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"Okay, thanks a billion.

"Oh, actually, I should check the bodies first."

She opened the door and ran out of the room.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Half a minute later, two new sets of jumper cables flew in through the doorway.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Two minutes after that, an arm reached through the doorway, and gently placed a scary, sickle-shaped sword into the room.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Four minutes after that, Luanne shuffled backwards into the room, dragging another corpse by the feet.

She laid it to rest on the ground, and then closed the door behind her.

"Okay. So, I think I should be able to, like, wrench my collar off with the crab stick, or a pipe or something. Or a wrench. But that's gonna be hard to do on a dead person, so I'm gonna use that sword on them, since it should be, um, pretty easy for me to know for sure if I've cut into the collar. It's a very killy-looking sword."

She picked up the sword by the (wooden) handle, and looked down at the corpse, but not into its eyes. She placed her foot next to it and practiced awkwardly swinging the curved sword at its neck, two-handed like she was swinging a golf club. She made sure to stop just short of connecting.

She blinked. And frowned.

"This is going to be the most violent thing I've ever done," she exhaled. "I'm sorry. But I guess it's kind of like how we're scared of eating meat that still has a face."

She grabbed her dead teammate by the shoulders and slumped her back against the other corpse, so that she was in a more convenient position for collar-murdering. And then she took a practice swing, like she was, um, whipping a sickle-shaped sword into someone's neck. Except, again, she made sure not to actually connect with anything.

"...."

Then, she connected the jumper cables to the collar, slipped a rubber wristband between it and the dead girl's neck, and did all the rest of the same stuff she'd done with the first collar. She also pulled a sheet of waterproofed rubber (cut from a dead person's daypack) out of her own pack, and wrapped it around the sword's handle.

She took a quiet breath in. Her mouth formed into a long, thin line.

And then she flipped the generator on, and after the beep, tore forward, and then swung the sword across in front of her, ripping savagely into the collar. And then she did it again, and that time, it went through the collar, and there was a dullened thunk that went up through Luanne's arm and shoulder and all the way into the deep, dark pit in her mind where she hid the traumas that she only knew how to cope with by art.

Then, quickly, she glanced to see where she'd cut through the collar. A camera. Then she pulled the sword out of the girl's neck, and swung into another camera on the other side of the collar.

The two halves of the collar clinked to the ground.

And then they both exploded, since twelve seconds had now passed since turning the generator on.

"ACK," she sputtered, dropping the sword and reflexively jumping backward, slamming into the table.

She took a moment to breathe.

Then she stared up at a camera, wide-eyed.

Words still failed her.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"Bolt cutters: check."
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

She took a couple of practice snips at the air with the bolt cutters. Then she wrapped a big slice of rubber sheeting tight around her neck, under her collar. After that, she took her bandana off, and wrapped it around her arm.

She placed the cutters back on the table.

She brought her hand up to the collar, and felt around on the inner side for a pinhole. Once she'd found one, she brought her hand back down.

"Okay."
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

The generator was now positioned against the wall, in a place where it would be easy for Luanne to start it with the side of her knee. The jumper cables were all hooked up, with the gator clips attached to the collar in positions next to the points on the collar that she needed to cut.

"Okay. I, um, I guess I should say some last words in case I mess this up and get killed."

She took a breath in.

"..."

And then out.

"People always talk about how an artist has to be dead for their art to be considered, like, 'great'. But I don't think that's true. I think it's always been, like, if it's a painting with people in it, those people have to have died before the painting becomes 'great'. Because once they die, their humanity can't impinge on the meaning they take on.

"I guess, it's just, I dunno. It's weird to think about. The woman in the Mona Lisa is a skeleton now. Her name was Lisa Gherardini. Marilyn Monroe's dead. Dora Maar's dead. The guy in Van Gogh's self-portraits is dead. American Gothic, they're dead. Damien Hirst's shark is dead.

"Death makes a lot of money. Death can really make you a star."

She held the bolt cutters' handles -- which she hoped were fiberglass -- open against the wall, so that she could press most of her weight into them in order to crush through the collar faster. She awkwardly bent her knees, and lowered the collar into the mouth of the cutters, lining it up along one of the gator clips so that it was in position over a camera. She grimaced as one of the cutter's handles jabbed her in the stomach. Then she tightened the cutters around the collar.

"Okay. This is, um, this is it, I guess. No more thinking, because if I think, I'm gonna panic and die."

She took a deep breath in. And then she held her breath.

She pressed her knee into the power button.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

There was a beep, and then a crunch.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge

Return to “Cruise Ship: Bowels (Danger Zone)”