Why did you name your character that?

Title

Discuss topics pertinent to SOTF Mini here.
Lilith

Why did you name your character that?

Post by Lilith »

Cyber: Jill Krueger.

Gillian is an old timey name that represents her ‘old’ views about cyber and her inability to handle most ‘basic’ technology. Jill is because I always shorten my characters name lololol. Kruger is based on the fictional killer Freddy Krueger since she is in a dream-like world that is realistic but not really, that will kill her like she is in a nightmare with her real body suffering from it.
Lilith

Post by Lilith »

International:

Seychelle Charity Tress because it spells out SC3
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

Cyber: Raymond Sullivan

I originally came up with Ray for an idea I had where my kid would end up cooking another kids dead body and feeding it to other people. The name— Raymond Eric Sullivan— is a mashup of three different fictional cannibals in order to fit that idea.

Raymond— Ray ‘Rebel’ Morrow from Ania Ahlborns Brother
Eric— Graham Mastersons short story Eric The Pie
Sullivan— Sully from Bones and All

Obviously, the original idea didn’t pan out, and I just kept the name because I couldn’t be fucked to come up with anything else after my original Cyber kid fell through on account of me being lazy.
Pancapples

Post by Pancapples »

Cyber: Xavier Rios

I came up with this name a very very long time ago, Xavier comes from a combination of his parents' first names (Xochitl and Javier) and is pronounced "zah-fee-air". Rios is because I wanted to associate him with rivers and streams at one point in the concept. I changed my mind, but still liked the sound of his name.
AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by AnimeNerd »

Cyber: Marnie Ronnette Cross

Said this before, but I made this up by pulling names I thought were cool from media I like - without making it something a kid would hate being named.

Marnie - The protagonist of the Disney Channel original movie series Halloweentown

Ronnette - The person being sung too in Roar's Christmas Kids (and also a girl group from the 50's and 60's but that's spelled with only one n)

Cross - The titular protagonist of the Alex Cross book series

I could say there was some sort of meaning to each name coming from a different type of media - movies, music and books - but...that'd be a lie. I just thought they were all interesting but not terrible.
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Everett Taylor: Swear to god the devil made me do it

Harland Strange: Literally I pretty much just lucked out with the first result from a random name generator.
[+] Luanne and Noreen Grasset
Lemme tell you some super top secret behind the scenes info: Luanne & Noreen's concept actually started out with Noreen as an only child, with Luanne only coming about later.

Noreen: Named after the song Corinne by Metronomy, and Belgian fashion designer Norine Deschrijver.

Luanne: Named after the song Lua by Bright Eyes. Basically late one night I was listening to Spotify when Lua came on, and I had a thought like "how would this song be different if it were written from the perspective of the woman's older sister," and then possibly I may have started to cry and that's how we got Luanne.

Grasset: From Eugène Grasset, whose poster La Morphiniste (cw: drug use) served as initial inspiration for Noreen as a character, as well as being both her and Luanne's visual base.

Astrid Millar: She's named Astrid because she was originally supposed to be named "Ingrid" but then I realized that inhuman was playing one of those in DotF v0 (and v8 (and sc3)) and I was like "oh jeez oh no we're gonna accidentally wear identical dresses to prom" and so I changed mine to Astrid. "Millar" was picked at random from someone I used to know in high school.

[+] The Goths
Jared: From this article.

Sarah Lundqvist: Sarah because I like the name Sarah, Lundqvist because Lundqvist is annoying to spell.

Craig Clegg: Because I should not have the power to give people names.
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Lilith

Post by Lilith »

Super:

Jenelle Greene: Originally, she was going to be Jenelle Evans, to make it seems I was riffing off Jewel Evans, however it was actually a ruse to be actually riffing on the real life person Jenelle Evans who was on Teen Mom 2. And then I changed it to Greene because I was like... that's kinda... mean....
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

Most of my kids since ~2012 or so are named by refreshing this page until I see something I like. That said, there are a couple that are more interesting.

PV3P: Mina Mashall was originally going to be Mina Montgomery, last name borrowed from a bus station downtown. Google told me there was an anime character with that name, though, so I veered away, but liked the alliteration. She was gonna become Mina Marshall, but I missed a letter, only realized later, then liked the ring of it and found out it's a real (if extremely rare) name.

Erik Bell was riffing very distantly on Eric Bogle, a famous folk singer who wrote some pretty biting anti-war songs.

PV3: Sofia Chiles is named for the traditional ballad Sovay, which more or less probably is an old timey version of "Sophie," which is the song that bits of her concept were pulled from in general. I chose a less common spelling because it's more fun that way. Chiles is from Child, as in the Child Ballads, a collection of traditional folk songs.

TV1: Karen Ruiz was named Karen because the name just had a sorta vaguely unpleasant edge to it (in perfect hindsight, probably because I'd argue about a Star Wars author named Karen a bunch) and I wanted something with a little villain heft, and also especially a K name since I was playing a little bit off Kazuo Kiriyama. Unfortunately, in later years this developed a meaning it didn't hold at the time. Ruiz I think was semi-random; I actually forgot we'd had a Cristo Ruiz at the time and wasn't totally thrilled when I remembered later.

Renée Carlson was named Renée because I wanted a bit of a sorta high-class, French flair. Turns out doing accents all the time sucks, though! Carlson I think was largely random.

TV2: Austin White I can't fully recall, but an unpleasant person I knew back in middle and high school had the surname White. Not someone who had any influence on Austin's concept otherwise.

Jewel Evans was named because I wanted to give a character a name that was a little bit out-there, to contrast with a bunch of very out-there names that were popular at the time (and also since). A name that'd be a touch weird in a group of people IRL, but which didn't stand out that much in SOTF. I gave her an intentionally simple surname to contrast.

TV3: Mandy Gross was a random generator thing but I specifically liked "Gross" because it gave her a thing to be grumpy about.

INTL: Leander Van Vliet was a little bit random, but within different parameters. I decided pretty early on I wanted to go with the "kid of a weird white mercenary expat dude' thing and when I realized I could use Van Vliet I did—it's a nod to the infamously demanding/difficult to work with Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart.

SOTF:U: Zandah Udall was named Zandah because I specifically needed a weird first name that very few people have for a couple beats. Udall was random but I liked the ring; I think it stuck because a Colorado congressional representative had it and his campaign ads were around a bunch when I was in high school.

Cyber: Xtra Zimmermann actually started with her sister's name—I have a doc of potential names, and Xena was on it, and I was like "Oh, but wait, I could make it much worse..." and so I did.

There's also another little running name thing I do, but it's still secret for now—remind me in about 18 months and maybe I'll be able to talk about it then.
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun

Return to “Roleplaying Discussion”