What We Built To Keep The Waters Clean

Day 2, 12:30 PM | Open

The cargo hold and engine rooms of the cruise ship, as well as crew quarters and other areas not intended to be seen by the guests, comprise the bowels. These are the lowest points of the ship, and unlike the well-decorated upper levels, the aesthetic is sparse and functional. The bare metal walls are stained with rust, and low-hanging pipes are common. Given the ship's size, this area falls well below the waterline, leaving ambient noise strange and unsettling, and creating a stifling atmosphere. The cargo hold is full of wooden crates, creating an artificial maze, though most of the crates are empty and those that are not are mostly filled with screws and bolts rendered inoperable by manufacturing defects; these were brought in by the producers to populate the area.
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

Tick, tock.

Another second.

She didn't run yet. Why didn't she run?

Leah wanted to curl up like a little child and close her eyes, but she forced herself to stare at Mateo like she stared at Giselle.

The world swirled as her blood pressure spiked.

Chest pain.

Anxiety.

Shortness of breath.

Everything was sliding away as she acted like nothing happened and stared down.

Everything seemed so beautiful. She wanted to weep.

How many increments of time has it been since Mateo hit the ground?

Since they first met?

She wanted to kill him at first. Funny how little things changed. Relief flooded into her brain- chemicals and electric signals that made her feel so, so alive. What was it again? That name?

She laughed because she didn't have any words left in her brain. Loud and bright and clear. Knees hit the ground again.

Somehow, this was the funniest thing in the world to her.
MethodicalSlacker
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

Betty reels wide eyed as on cue another inscrutable Leviathan emerges from the darkness and stumbles hands first into Pippi from behind. Her palms flatten against the wall behind her as Pippi spins and takes him down, screaming with fury louder and louder until it got Jodi had to take her hands off of the wall and pull her hat down over her ears sorts of loud. Leah flattens motionless on the ground and sinks into the floor her mouth dribbling spit and sorry pleas to an already made corpse, already bloated and decayed invisible on the floor by the corner in the sunless dark. Another voice called out something she thought was a name.

Jodi was silent.¹⁰⁴

Then she was moving, hands still on her ears on her hat, towards Leah, cackling on the floor. Moving in the opposite direction of Pippi, still screaming her sibilant shock into echoes down the serpentine byway—and like Pippi, Betty was sprinting, as fast as she could go.

It wasn't a very long distance to close. Jodi was never good at throwing things, and she couldn't have hit Leah if she was any further than ten feet away. So it took only one two three four five six (plant and skid on left foot) seven and (bring the toe point of) eight steps for Betty to get to curled up fetal-positioned Leah and while Betty was still running sprinting jumping and tornado spinning bringing her booted heel crackling down to strike Leah square in the back.¹⁰⁵

And now it was Betty's turn to laugh as she stumbled and almost tripped over herself on the downturn of her kick as the momentum carried her down the hallway and away from all of this stupid horseshit. She'd find Pippi and Luanne soon enough. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a few left turns through the catacombs and locate them after putting some distance between herself and the Leviathans.

[All she needed to do was follow the screaming.]
[+] Footnotes
[104] Absent. She didn't believe there were any Leviathans to be found. That was her own invention for her own sake, to press Leah into saying something incriminated that prompted the liquidation of her assets and termination—nay, it would be nothing short of a bonafide cancellation of the Leah Show, by drowning or marooning or some other practice.

But then the other Leviathan showed up.

[105] Observant. It was more like a forceful brushing aside than a real kick. She'd seen worse done to her classmates in middle school. Not elementary, though, it was much too violent for anyone younger than middle school to perpetrate exactly. It was in the seventh grade while Jodi and her loose circle of tolerables were on a class trip towards the end of the school year to the beach, the last beach and not museum or library or presentation field trip that would ever be facilitated officially by a school body Jodi attended, the last beach trip that was not a public waste crime perpetrated on the sandy environs by unwitting smelly teens armed with coolers and boomboxes lead there by the smell of bonfires in the future night. A kid she'd known sort of well was buried in the sand by his friends. The boy was scraggly and sort of crusty looking, so he fit in underneath a pile of sand, and many laughs were had and even Jodi on the sideline rose a curled finger to the bottom of her lip and laughed softly into it when she was sure nobody was looking. But then all of a sudden came the tall pale wispy haired meathead bully tormentor of this ragtag band of late bloomer ragamuffins barking seriously about taking up prime real estate on the beach and get your fat ass out of the sand ranch boy whatever that meant and suddenly a wall of 12 or 13 year old's with floaties and swimming trunks and large obsequious goggles forms around the boy in the sand, who now can't see anything from behind their legs. Big bully guy says beat it punks and Jodi remembers raising her hands in a sort of perfumed shock and not knowing exactly why she did it as the large probably at least 14 years old borderline grown adult man picked up and physically tossed each one of the four of them aside into the pillowy dunes before taking four solid steps backwards, clapping his hands together, kicking up sand clouds, rearing and fuming at the ears, and all of a sudden making one big step forwards and in a full arcing swing kicked the sad oaf in the nose with the flat of his shin.
Eaten By The Worms || And Weird Fishes
[+] SOTF TV3
Jodi Hunter: Trying not to cause any ripples in the water. Pregame-1, Pregame-2, Flotilla-1, Flotilla-2, Flotilla-3, Flotilla-4, Flotilla-5
Mariko Whitney: Ready to roll the dice. Pregame-1, Flotilla-1, Flotilla-2⁸, Flotilla-3,
Flotilla-4

⁸SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST TTRPG V0.5 CHARACTER SHEET

Name: Mariko Whitney, the Marquise of Whimsy
Team: Jewel's Leviathans
Level: 3
Odds: Midgame
Role: Undeclared
Bucket List:
Observe as much gameplay as possible. Take notes on gameplay. Encourage specific gameplay scenarios.
Escape alive and intact.
EXP: 75/100

Rogue's Gallery (Stat-Sheet):
Guts: 7 (-2)
- Brawling
- Construction
- Athletics
Pluck: 12 (+1)
- Acrobatics (Proficiency Bonus +1)
- Subterfuge
- Firearms
Iron: 13 (+2)
- Pain Threshold
- Evasive Maneuvers
- Resist Fatigue
Moxie: 8 (-1)
- Conversation
- Performance (Proficiency Bonus +1) [Topic Bonus: Tap-Dancing]
- Team Spirit
Wiles: 12 (+1)
- Deception
- Persuasion
- Intimidation
Placidity: 10 (+/- 0)
- Reaction Speed
- Willpower
- Fight-or-Flight
Brains: 14 (+2)
- Tactics
- Investigation
- Encyclopedia (Topic Bonuses: Tabletop Games +2, Fantasy and Science-Fiction Novels +2, Survival of the Fittest +1)
Sleuthing: 11 (+/- 0)
- Survivalism
- Insight
- Etiquette
Luck: 18 (+4)
Perception: 10 (+/- 0)

Health Points:
Total: 80/80 (8d8 from Limb Total)
Head: 8/8 (1d8)
Torso: 8/8 (1d8)
Left Arm: 8/8 (1d8)
Right Arm: 8/8 [Bandaged] (1d8)
Left Leg: 8/8 (1d8)
Right Leg: 8/8 (1d8)
Mental: 6/8 (1d8) [Wounded I]
Social: 7/8 (1d8)
Blood: 800/800
Afflictions: [None]
Hunger: 7/8
Thirst: 4/8
Stress Counter: [8888888888888888] Unlucky Br8ak!!!!!!!!

Armor Points: 3
Head Armor: Top Hat (+1)
Torso Armor: Black Leviathans Tank-Top (+1)
Left Arm: Team Bandana (+0)
Left Gauntlet: Black Glove
Right Gauntlet: Black and Red-Flecked Glove
Leg Armor: Blue Denim Jeans (+1)
Footwear: Sneakers (+0)

Magic:

Spell List:
-
-
-
-
MP: 0/0 [Who are you kidding, Magic Is Fake As Shit!!!!!!!!!]

Duffel Bag:
- Rations:
- Saki Ika Dried Squid (0.25/1)
- Seaweed Snacks (2/3)
- Tuna Sandwich (1/1)
- Bread (2 Loaves/2)
- Oyster Crackers (1.75/2)
- Drinking Water (2.5/4)
- Life Savers (2/2)
- Gatorade (1.75/2)
- Rum Shot (0/1)

- Arena Map
- Sextant
- Flashlight w/ Batteries
- Condom (1/1)
- First Aid Kit (Opened, minus three bandages and some gauze tape):
- "No More Mr. Dice Guy" Graphic Tee
- Red Mohegan Sun T-Shirt
- Black Track Pants
- Black Two-Piece Bikini
- Tap-Dancer's Outfit: One sleeveless faux-leather jacket, black high-waisted dancing shorts, tights, and one pair of tap-dancing shoes.
- Black Leviathans Towel

Hands:
- Greener Harpoon Gun {48 .38 Caliber Blanks, Four Rope Lines, and Three Heads Remaining}
Pockets:
- n/a

Bio: [See Profile]
Skills:
Light Footwork
+1 to Evasion rolls on actions making use of legs.
Heavy Focus
Option to defer a turn on Sleuth rolls in exchange for a +2 bonus.
Burdens:
Weak Arms
-1 to Guts rolls involving arms.
Vile Tongue
Every eight instances of dialogue (back-and-forth talking with other players/NPCs), roll 1d8. Mariko makes an offhand comment with rudeness inversely proportional to the absolute value of the number rolled—
8. Uneasy Compliment
7. Ambiguous Statement
6. Playful Jab
5. Backhanded Serve
4. Ego Bruise
3. Insult on top of Injury
2. Salt their Wounds
1. Salt the Earth

Wound:

Hedgehog's Dilemma: -1 to skill checks made for social interactions.

Teammates:
Seth...

Allies:
Kamille

Enemies:
Gabriela, Seo-Yun

????:
Leslie, Ivan, Mandy

[+] Program V3 Prologue
Image - Cybil Price: "I've been waiting for this." Anouncement Day, Arena-1, Arena-2, Arena-3, Arena-4, The Rescue, After-1, After-2
[+] Second Chances V2
Image - Katie 'Kitty' Gittschall: "I'm guessing that you want to win, right?" Memory-1, Pregame-1, Island-1, Island-2, Island-3, Island-4, Island-5, Island-6, Island-7, Island-8, Island-9.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

It might be a trap, Betty said. And then just like that, there was a sound like a golf club, and something spattered onto Luanne's face, and Pippi screamed. Then Luanne screamed Pippi's name, and then something collided with her, and then for a few seconds she wasn't really sure what or where she was anymore, and she especially had no idea what was going on. But now she was chasing after Pippi, because without Pippi there was no plan, and without a plan she would have nothing, and she would give up, and she would die scared and alone and in pain, and also she had an obligation to help Pippi. She also had an obligation to stay and make sure everyone was okay, but she had a bigger obligation to Pippi. So she was running. Her feet were raw and they hurt worse than when she'd visited the Louvre. But she kept running after Pippi's screams, and eventually she couldn't hear any screams, but she kept running because she hadn't found Pippi yet and she needed Pippi alive. And then the sunlight hit her, and she kept running.

((Somewhere along the way she had made a wrong turn without noticing.))
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [But you're waking a monster that will drive you from your hoary halls of gold, and your body will get cold. And we don't waste time with love. It's just death from above.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

She kept on laughing there.
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

Footsteps rushed around her. She was kicked by someone- she didn’t know who and she almost couldn’t tell- and then it’s just her alone, laying on the ground, heaving. Her eyes were facing the same level as Mateo and she couldn’t help but stare.

Leah laughed so hard that it physically hurt- like a hand grabbing around, or into her stomach, and then twisting. She sputtered when the first sign of something bitter tasting rose up, and swallowed it back in.

Feebly, her own hand grabbed at Mateo’s.

Her pale thumb pad touched his wrist.

She felt a single throb underneath her skin.

A pulse.

Her eyes widened. Fingers reached, again, at his neck, and the same rushing of blood signaled life.

Shit.

Oh shit. Fuck. No. No. She can’t- she has a moral obligation to stay with him, doesn’t she? She needed to-

Oh god.

She tapped at his temple, the other side where he wasn’t struck. No response. Her fingernail pressed at his arm as hard as she could muster. No response.

Nothing. He might not ever wake up again- but he was alive. His heart was still beating. She put her finger right in front of his nose and mouth and felt disgusting warm air- he was breathing, too.

Like a slumber, but he didn’t wake up and he wouldn’t wake up, even when she dug her hands into his side and lifted him up with all of her strength, putting him in a sitting position.

Leah didn’t know anything about brain injury- should the head get more blood or less?

It doesn’t matter.

She just sat and waited.
Tapey
Team Affiliation: Malcolm's Mariners

Post by Tapey »

[[After what seemed to be an eternity later...]]

*BEEP*

*BEEP*

He stared blankly towards the entrance of the hall

He could still felt himself breathing. His heart beating. Blood still flowing down from the side of his head.

*BEEP*

How long did he stay unconscious...?

*BEEP*

He could somewhat recall everything. Everything that happened before he blacked out.

The hall, once filled with the presence of people, was now empty. Leaving nothing except the severely wounded boy.

*BEEP*

It's a shame, to be honest, that he never got the opportunity to recognize the culprit. The one who led him into this situation.

He wondered if the perpetrator ever felt any remorse for attacking him, intentional or not.

*BEEP* *BEEP*

Maybe it's time to get out of here.

The exit was only a few meters away from here. Surely it won't be hard for someone like him to make it out alive, right...?

*BEEP* *BEEP*

But of course, he couldn't.

He lost all senses on his limbs and was too exhausted to move. He tried but the best he could do is some twitching on his fingers.

*BEEP* *BEEP*

At this point, he wasn't sure if he was dead or alive.

He continued to stare at the entrance. So close, yet so far.

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

He really did not want to die here.

He felt as if he could have done more.

Hell, he even assured someone that everything would be okay, goddamnit.

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

But that's the harsh reality. The ugly truth.

No matter how much denial he was in, he knew he had to face it at some point.

He was always at risk of dying coming into this game.

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

...So this was the end of him...

He gently closed his eyes and accepted his fate.

He was

So close

Yet so far

*BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP*

And everything around him went silent.

Was he safe? Did God finally decided to spare him after all the shit that he had to go through?

Mateo tried to move again. His fingers, his limbs, anything that could help him to leave this shithole.

PleaseINeedToGetOuttaHerePleaseImBeggingYou

PLE-

BOOM
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

(If you look closer, you could still see the tear stains on his shirt. Not that you should be there to look, mind you.)

Return to “Cruise Ship: Bowels (Danger Zone)”