The Los Angeles County Museum on Fire

middle of night 2 (open (i guess...........))

A decommissioned Coast Guard vessel that last saw service in 1986, the Patrol Boat has a distinctive military efficiency about it. Tight corridors, a secure cabin, and no decorations leave it somewhat less immediately captivating than other ships in the flotilla, but its larger size, ample deck space, and the gigantic, still-functional floodlight mounted on it set it apart from the general sprawl of smaller vessels, and offer a certain potential for the intrepid.
Kermit

The Los Angeles County Museum on Fire

Post by Kermit »

((Luanne Grasset continued from Sold))

The patrol boat sat still in the night, ocean waves softly lapping up against its hull. Its spotlight shone into the sky like a beacon, drowning out the stars. The ship's interior was oppressive-feeling - martial, even - but calm. It was peaceful.

Gunshots and screams echoed out from the sea.

She stood alone inside the boat's cabin. She was soaked in seawater. She had a towel wrapped around her shoulders for warmth and also to block the view of the cameras, because both her blouse and her Supreme brand shirt were white and she really wasn't at all interested in being forced into a wet t-shirt contest by weirdo perv listicle authors, especially after nearly drowning offscreen during an ambiguous suicide attempt which was edited out of her final TV cut for being too depressing. All the water in her hair was making it impossible for her to hold her head straight. In her shaking hand, she was holding a small, broken rum bottle. Her eyes were red. She was staring down at a shattered computer monitor. Around the monitor, a few speckles of pink glitter shone in the electric lights glinting through the windows from outside.

She looked like she was going to either scream, fall asleep, or burst into tears.
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nothing. This is nowhere. We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nowhere. There is no one here.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

(Caleb Bloch continued from The Taste of Salt)

It was night now.

He'd spent the rest of the day drying himself out a bit, but it was tough. He'd spent several hours wrapping his otherwise naked body in the towel Larry had given him to let his clothes dry out inside one of the smaller vessels of the flotilla. It only helped a little. He'd eventually gotten dressed in the slightly less damp clothes and moved on to trying to find another place to hide. The feel of the clothes clinging to his skin made him want to crawl out of his skin. He hated it. It was so tight and the rubbing of his skin against the wet denim was making his legs start to itch.

And that wasn't even getting into what it felt like to put back on damp underwear.

Anyway, this ship looked good enough. Importantly, it wasn't a danger zone and it also wasn't the shop boat that the mentor had said to avoid.

He walked across the deck in slow steps towards the cabin door. He put his right hand up against it but didn't open it. Was this going to be like the yacht all over again? That had sucked. Hopefully it was empty.

Caleb sighed in annoyance.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Luanne did not scream, fall asleep, or burst into tears. Instead, she shuffled closer to the broken computer. The... box thing? Console? Computer case. The big brick-shaped thing with the power button. The thing that you didn't have if you were using a Mac. Or whatever. But anyways, the thing's case was kind of cracked open a little bit, and she could see some glitter coating the siding around the opening, yadda yadda yadda. So that meant Pippi had probably done something to it.

She leant over and tried to peer inside. Couldn't really make much out of anything. The light coming in from outside wasn't at a good angle for seeing inside the box, and she needed her flashlight at as close to full battery for reasons she wasn't going to disclose until she needed to. But she needed to know what Pippi had been doing, and so she placed the broken bottle she was holding onto the box and nearly blindly stuck her hand in through the crack like she assumed Pippi had, but then stopped at the last second.

What if she got electrocuted? Luanne didn't want to get electrocuted. Maybe, like, ten minutes ago she would have cared slightly less, but not any more. Because this was a clue. This was something to hold on to. Something she could actually use. So all hope was not in fact lost, and just dying from sticking her hand into a computer immediately after finding something to be optimistic about would suck. She was still dripping with water, and like, sometimes she heard about people dying from dropping toasters into bathtubs, so like, by the same principle as that worked, it would probably be extra-lethal, she thought.

So she was just gonna wait in here until she was dry enough to feel confident that she wasn't a good conductor.

She cleared her throat absentmindedly, still leaning over the computer.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nothing. This is nowhere. We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nowhere. There is no one here.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Screw it. He opened the door and stepped inside.

Caleb heard what sounded like a cough as he entered the room, but he wasn't totally sure. He could just be paranoid again. Maybe he was cracking. That happened to people sometimes.

Sadly it was dark, so he had to trust his senses other than vision since his flashlight was still in his bag. He wondered if it even worked now after the dunk in the water.

Should he say something or not. If he said something and no one was there he would look like such a fool. But if he said nothing then if someone was there they might think he was trying to sneak up on them and kill them and he wasn't doing that either.

"Who's?" he started to ask, the word there just being mouthed after it. He hated when this happened, when he started to say something and then just stopped because of some unknown brain reason.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Someone spoke, and Luanne's jaw wired itself shut and her eyes shot open wide. She didn't recognize the voice. Sure as heck wasn't Pippi. Sounded like a boy. She didn't know if she could afford to deal with anyone, let alone a boy, until she found Pippi. She needed time to do important things, and like, boys did things like punching their friends for fun, and that wasn't what she needed right now, and, and, what if he was going to kill her, or what if he was someone like that Junji guy?

She stopped breathing.

She didn't know how close he was. He was somewhere near the room's entrance that led outside. He was somewhere to her right, on the other side of the room. Behind her there was a door leading deeper into the ship. She couldn't stay here. She wanted to know what the deal was with the computer but she wasn't gonna be able to check it now, so, okay, okay, just do something, okay, sorry, just distract him and run, okay.

She pulled herself away from the computer, and then in her hand she grabbed the towel that was wrapped around her. She slammed the cloth, like a whip, into the computer console, letting go mid-swing. The towel, and the broken bottle atop the console, were both sent careening through the air in some direction towards something, a wall probably, she wasn't gonna stick around to find out. She let the momentum of the swing carry her until she was facing the interior door. And then she ran. Deeper into the ship. And then eventually out onto the deck on the opposite side. And then onto the jetties. And then she kept running until she thought she was alone.

And then something from a few hours ago clicked in the back of her mind.

((She was pretty sure she knew where to find Pippi.))
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

The answer was that no one was there anymore.

Some noise and some flying debris and the other person was gone.

That was fine. Caleb wasn't hurt.

It was Survival of the Fittest. Not being killed, surviving, was literally the name of the game.

Whoever it was decided to follow that rule, just like he had been.

Still, it was weird. Normally if someone left the room right when one entered that was considered offensive.

Whatever. It was fine. If he survived this place he'd have plenty of time to talk to the people that mattered.

It was time to leave. No point hanging around a ship that people knew he was at.

(Caleb Bloch continued elsewhere)

Return to “Patrol Boat (Danger Zone)”