A Dark Pool

Mentorshot, post-third announcements

The jetties are wooden walkways, kept afloat by buoys, the boats they're lashed to, and their relative lack of density. The central jetties surround the cruise ship and are wider, denser, and better maintained; while it's very possible to fall or be thrown off, almost every piece of walkway here has safety railings, some even reinforced with metal. Life preservers are placed at intervals throughout, and access to many ships is available through ladders and walkways. While it might seem that cover would be sparse, the twists and turns and hiding places between ships actually offer many opportunities to get lost or hide here.
Kermit

A Dark Pool

Post by Kermit »

((Continued from I Feel...))

Luanne Grasset sat alone behind a crate, looking down at the reflection of the night sky in the ocean. She'd spent most of the day trying to find Pippi, but with every second that had passed since whatever had happened in the depths of the cruise ship, the chances of being able to catch up to her went down. And a lot of seconds had passed. And finding Pippi again was basically going to be all down to random chance. So she was gonna take a break, because, she, just, fuck, she was really tired. And cold. She was wearing the Supreme t-shirt over her blouse as an extra layer, but the nighttime was still pretty chilly out here.

She had a just-opened bottle of rum in her hand. It was the one they'd given to everyone; some brand named after an old dead white guy like most brands were. She brought it up to her nose and sniffed at the liquid inside. Then, she brought it down to her lips, and slowly took a tiny, tiny sip.

She grimaced, then swallowed. Then she heard a distant gunshot or something like that. She was getting used to them, so they were harder to notice.

She poured the rest of the rum out over the side of the jetty.

"Stephanie." She whispered, still holding the bottle.
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nothing. This is nowhere. We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nowhere. There is no one here.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

"Luanne."
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"..."

She tucked her knees to her chin.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nothing. This is nowhere. We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nowhere. There is no one here.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"I'm okay. I think, um, I, if I was going to kill myself, I would have already done it. So you don't have to worry about that. It's okay."

She was quiet for a few seconds.

"Is Pippi alright?"
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"..."

"..."

"Stephanie, I think maybe you're on mute?"
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Wham Yubeesling

"Sorry, was just looking over at Pippi. Give me a moment."
Wham Yubeesling

"Also have to make sure I'm allowed to say what I want to tell you, so, um, hang on a moment."
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Luanne cringed and stared down at the water.

"Okay."

"Sorry, sometimes when I'm worried, I can be a little bossy. I know you're doing your best. Sorry," she whispered quickly, and then she was silent.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Wham Yubeesling

"Okay. I checked. She's...

"Well.

"She's as fine as anyone reasonably can be here. She's found someone who seems willing to work with her and while there was just a fight I think it's over? I think she's safe?

"That's all I can really say. Sorry. If it helps, I think Noreen's fine too. She's... sending me some weird stuff on social media."
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"..."

Luanne's lip shook.

She took a breath in.

"No. That isn't all you can really say."

She was quiet for a moment as she tried to find words that were good enough to say what they needed to say.

"I'm glad you get the privilege of worrying about your contract, Stephanie, but, um, please don't act like you care about doing the right thing if you don't care enough to actually do it."
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Wham Yubeesling

"It's... um.

"'The greater good' isn't really the right phrase here, but it's the only thing I can think of. I can't help you more than I can, because if I do, then I'm held in violation of my contract and I won't be able to help you, or the other Buccaneers still alive. I get that I'm coming off as... less than ideal, mentor wise, but, um, I meant it when I said I wanted to get you all out of here. I'm not worried about violating my contract because it means I lose money. It's-

"Okay. You're going to hate me for this, but hold on a second. Something's happening on one of the other screens. Noreen's-

"Telling you to go shopping?"
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"Okay? I just, I don't, I don't know what shopping has to do with anything? Noreen, go to bed."

"I'm sorry. It's just - I can't think. I'm too tired. I know it's probably supposed to mean something, but I'm too tired. I feel like a zombie. I'll try to remember it."

"You're probably out of time for, um, responding? Um. Okay. I think I'm gonna stay here for a little bit. I need time to figure things out. Because me losing Pippi wasn't supposed to happen, it wasn't in their script, and without her I'm nobody to them, so they don't have any reason to let me live if I break any rules. And she sounds like she'll be okay without me in the short-term. She doesn't need me and from what you said I already have a replacement. So right now I need to figure out who I'm supposed to be without her."

"Thank you Steph. You aren't who you seem. You're more complicated. More serious, kinder, calmer, and a true friend," she whispered.

((She sat still for a little while and stared out into the dark, holding her own soul like a flashlight.))
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge

Return to “Jetties: Central (Danger Zone)”