Two Hearts

Day One; Private until backslash posts, then Open.

Located to one side of the temple is a plot of land that features an array of overgrown potted plants, small sculptures and other markers all spread out and placed in different areas. There are also some personal possessions placed around these objects. While clearly a memorial of some kind, there are no graves present here and no details that could reveal who each marker is for. Unlike the rest of the upper level of the island, which has become overrun by devil’s ivy, the memorial garden has remarkably remained unaffected.
Espi

Post by Espi »

"Ah!"

Rhonda cried out, her voice embarrassingly high-pitched, when Ariana shouted. There was a girl with a gun. Anna? Or Roxy? Which was it? One must be a nickname, then, though Rhonda was curious what her name was that shortened to both of those. It'd probably be rude to ask.

Okay, but she had a gun. Ariana had a gun too, pointed at her. Marceline ran between the two girls. They were friends, apparently. Marceline was vouching for her friend. Okay. Dolly sided with her girlfriend. That also made sense. Meka, she realized, had stepped in between her and the others. That was nice of him. More than she knew how to say, if he was really willing to risk his life to protect her. What did anyone say about that?

Anna/Roxanne hadn't shot them while she had been standing over there. She could have, probably. Rhonda swallowed hard. Still, it didn't seem like anybody present actually wanted a fight. Everyone else was being reasonable. Ariana was just protecting them, but the others were just trying to make peace.

As for herself...Rhonda probably looked like a deer in headlights. That was how she felt, too, really.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

There was a scream, a brief surge of fear as Ariana’s gun was levelled in Roxanne’s direction, segueing into a surge of something else as it became clear what she- no, what Ariana had caused. Marcy had broken from Dolores, their embrace had ended, and Roxanne knew that once they returned to it they would find it less… special than the first time they did it. All that mattered would have been drained out of their embrace all because Ariana was just so stupid as to desecrate this scene, ruin the reunion, not even address Roxanne by the right name because it was clear that Ariana didn’t care, that she thought her viewpoint mattered most, that she was just like the people back at the cliff and that Roxanne would have to spend her time in this world just having to deal with these people.

If there was any consolation to the danger this world provided, at least perhaps those sorts would wipe themselves out early. If they were this bent on staying in the world previous, then it was clear they would not adapt here, that they would prove the name of this game right.

So she stood there. Nodded — tried to smile — at Marcy, while her gun stayed at her side. Fear crawled up her arms as Ariana’s gun stayed in place, but she pushed it away, focused on all the other sensations around her. Fear would not be who she was. Anna would not be what she would be, now that she was in this world.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

So maybe she'd overreacted a bit. Ariana still didn't think so, what with a newcomer showing up carrying a particularly hefty-looking shotgun, but as soon as Marceline had basically tossed herself in the line of fire and everyone else had blanched accordingly, Ariana let her own weapon slowly point downward. She didn't want to be the one going on the offensive, but this was a place designed to entice them to fight to the death. This wasn't a fucking video game, it wasn't a roleplaying forum or any nonsense like that. This was life and death, and while perhaps she'd acted a bit quickly, she wasn't going to apologize for it.

"Sorry. Just had to be sure, you get it."

Okay, so maybe she would but she wouldn't mean it. She'd acted quickly and goddammit, Ariana knew she'd do it again. Nobody was getting fucking shot on her watch. No way.

"I don't want anything to happen to you." She even gave Anna a wary eye. "Any of you."

It would, of course. Ariana wasn't stupid. She knew how this all went. The feeling of fear that she had buried deep within her gut flared up. It was hard to believe that these people she'd known for years would start wandering up and shooting one another, but it had been easy for her to aim a weapon at someone and shout them down. It had been easy, and she knew how to handle a gun, she'd been to the range a few times for fun with her father. She understood the safety behind guns. Someone who didn't might point a gun at someone with their finger on the trigger, and just like that, someone else was dead.

So many faces flipped through her mind, including the one someone that she knew wouldn't be dying here. Ariana had avoided thinking about him, to try and keep herself strong.

She pushed his face out of her mind, and kept on doing so. There would be time for that later.

Hopefully.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Marceline breathed a sigh of relief as Ariana finally lowered her gun, happy that she stopped the situation from escalating.

Putting her arms down, she turned her attention to Roxanne, who she was incredibly glad to see now that the guns were no longer a major concern. She quickly closed the distance between the two of them and, without asking, pulled Roxanne into a hug. "Good to see you, Roxy-Loxy," she said, her voice's naturally soft intonation returning as she released her grip on her friend, leaving one hand resting on her shoulder. "Nice gun, by the way. It's a Benelli M3, right? Never got to shoot any of those, but I saw them in my dad's shop sometimes, he told me about them."

Without properly giving Roxanne time to respond, she remembered Roxanne's particular sensitivity regarding her name, and turned her head back towards the rest of the group. "Oh uh, yeah, by the way, she prefers Roxanne, or Roxy," she said, giving her friend a gentle squeeze, as if to say I got you.

She turned back to her briefly, whispering "we can catch up in a bit" and giving her a last gentle pat, before fully spinning around and finally addressing the group at large.

"So! It's good to see my girlfriend has an entourage. Glad you guys have been keeping her safe." Her voice had the usual touch of mischief to it, her posture taking on its normal, friendly and relaxed stance.

Dolly had certainly made an interesting choice in companions, that was for sure. The group of them were all nice, at least, but she couldn't say she ever really talked to Meka, Rhonda, or Ariana all that much. Still, she had seen them around in school, and she knew roughly how all of them thought and behaved, so it wasn't going to be hard to talk to them, at least.

Pivoting to Meka and Rhonda specifically, she tried to make sure nobody was left unaddressed in everything she was saying. "Meka-Maka," she began again, with a wink. "Thanks for the backup. Keeping a cool head in a tense situation is always a good trait." Spinning slightly on her heels, she pointed. "And Rhondy-Ron, you should talk more. Your voice is too cute to be as silent as you've been."

Then there was Ariana. She knew Ariana was a hothead, and given how she had just leveled the barrel of a gun at one of Marceline's best friends, she didn't feel too keen on her in this situation, but she wasn't about to let that sour her overall demeanor. "And of course, Ari-Ari! I'm glad you have everyone's safety in mind, and that G19 could definitely gonna help with that..." She cocked her head to one side, trying to maintain her voice's tone as being as nice as possible. "Buuuuut..."

"Don't take this the wrong way or anything," she began, knowing full well that it would be taken the wrong way. "But I think it might be better if you gave that gun to me." She paused briefly, making sure to give everyone a chance to process what she was saying. "I have two reasons for saying that," she continued raising one finger into the air, "for one, you weren't obeying proper gun safety there. You kept your finger off the trigger, which was good! But you still shouldn't level a gun at anyone that you don't intend on killing right then and there." She motioned with her hands as she spoke, trying to emphasize what she was saying. "That's why I freaked out so bad, I thought you were about to kill Roxy, and I was trying to keep that from happening."

Raising a second finger, she kept speaking. "For two, I know a lot about guns, and I'm a pretty good shot if I do say so myself. Dolly can confirm, she's been at the gun range with me during the weird bonding exercises my dad liked to do. Plus, I'd like to believe I'd be pretty good at protecting everyone," she said, as she gave the second biggest smile she had given today.

"And!" She interjected, "I can trade you that weird sword-spear thing I have, so you still have something to defend yourself with, when it comes down to it. What do you say?"
THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU. READ ABOUT THEM AND PREPARE YOURSELF.
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson
Pregame: -#->
Memory: -#-#->
Prom: -#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-|

Richard Smith
Memory: ->
V7: -#-#-#-#-|

Ming Robinson
Memory: ->

Amber Yates
Pregame: -#-#->
Memory: -#-#->
Prom: -#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-|
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:
G013: Penelope Fitzgerald
G046: Isabel Ramirez

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Image G005: Madeline Wilcox
Image G030: Sara Corlett
backslash

Post by backslash »

"I don't think there's any need for that." Dolly's voice cut across the gathering once again. This was... well, it had the potential to turn very sour now. Marceline's intentions were good, always, but she didn't often consider the ways others might disagree with her when she felt secure that she was right. She wasn't thinking of how Ariana could feel mistrusted, slighted.

"We're all just a bit jumpy, yes? But that's all. Nobody's hurt, and nobody's trying to hurt anyone else here." Dolly stepped forward again with her slight limp, and moved further into the heart of the confrontation, situating herself next to Marceline and glancing between Ariana and Roxanne. She touched Marceline's arm lightly. Reassurance, or restraint? She wasn't entirely sure herself.

She hoped that Ariana caught apology and understanding in her gaze. Ariana had been a steadfast and reliable companion so far, pulling Dolly out of the darkness in which she'd awoken. It would be a little tragic if all of that was dashed by nerves and a misunderstanding.

But such was the nature of things here, wasn't it.

"Perhaps we should find somewhere everyone can sit down, and then we can all talk and breathe a little easier?" She ventured. It was hard to gauge how everyone would feel about such a suggestion now. Emeka and Rhonda made their own little pair, off to the side of the opposing forces of Ariana and Roxanne, and Dolly standing with Marceline in the eye of the storm.

Perhaps this was where things fractured. Too bad, if that was the case.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Meka continued to look around at all the girls, trying to keep himself between Rhonda and Ariana. It sounded like Roxanne wasn't going to be a danger, at least as long as Marceline had something to say about it. Marceline was suddenly talking in a bizarre tone and language, giving everyone strange nicknames. Meka wasn't sure where she got "Meka-Maka" from, or why she'd even call him that when "Meka" was already a nickname.

Whatever, that didn't matter. What mattered was that Marceline was trying to disarm Ariana and trade weapons. Meka wasn't sure if Ariana would accept that, nor was he sure Marceline would honestly be better with the gun. If anything, it seemed like either girl would do since Marceline had gun training and Ariana was a prospective cop who likely also had experience. Meka knew he wouldn't be good to hold a gun right now, so it didn't matter to him which girl took the gun as long as it wasn't used on anyone here.

Dolly, meanwhile, suggested they just move somewhere else. Meka nodded.

"Yeah, why don't we get out of the open?" he suggested. "Maybe head over to those nearby trees or something."

Meka turned back to Rhonda. She hadn't said much in a while.

"You okay?" he asked her quietly.
Espi

Post by Espi »

"Uhh..." Rhonda put her hand on her chest in surprise, her face flushing. She didn't expect a compliment in general, let alone here and now. Marceline seemed...very cheery. 'Rhondy-Ron' was a new one. Rhonda supposed it made sense, since she'd found her girlfriend and all. Still, it made her self-conscious. Not that that was a new feeling.

Things got kind of weird after that. Marceline was pretty forward to ask for Ariana's gun. Even Dolly took issue with that. Rhonda watched Ariana warily. She seemed pretty responsible up until now, defensive maybe but that was only fair, right? She'd almost definitely say no, though, and Rhonda didn't know what would happen then. Rhonda wanted them to stick together, at least, but she worried Ariana might not want to stay around.

The suggestion went out, from Dolly and Meka, to go somewhere else, find somewhere more...protected. That sounded good. Then Meka addressed her. "Mhm." She said, nodding quickly. "As good as I can be, at least." She tightened her grip on the fan. "I'll go wherever we go, I guess."
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Situation having deescalated itself, Ariana tried to force herself to relax as Marceline cheerily went around and addressed all of the members of her group. All the while, Ariana kept eyeing Roxanne, Anna, whoever the fuck she was. That she didn't remember this girl going by that name made her skeptical, it made her cautious. That, and the large shotgun she held. Her attention drifted back to Marceline, who was bestowing bizarre nicknames and operating with a manic energy that made her nervous. This reminded her almost of how she'd felt that day in the art room, when Tirzah Foss had been acting like a crazy person, all because it was just 'how she felt'.

Ariana's skepticism turned sour, though, when Marceline got to her. Wait. What the hell was she talking about? She wanted Ariana to hand over her gun? What the fuck - who did this bitch think she was?

"Who the fuck-?"

Whoops, that was supposed to be an inside voice. She cut herself off.

As Marceline explained her point of view, Ariana felt her blood start to boil. Maybe it was the condescending nature of the girl's rant, perhaps it was the way that she'd basically questioned her resolve in the face of terrible circumstances. But that she basically said to Ariana: 'I don't believe you're qualified to protect this group and I don't trust you' was a slap in the face to everything she'd done up until now.

Everyone interjected all at once as soon as Marceline was finished talking, leaving Ari still standing, stunned, trying so very hard to quell the uprising of fiery emotion that was bubbling within her. Nobody offered much, aside from Dolly. Meka and Rhonda were basically acting like they were mere shells of the people that they had been in school. They were going to go along with whomever made the decisions.

Marceline had made it abundantly clear that she didn't trust Ariana. What was that all about? Was it because she'd pointed a gun at a newcomer she didn't recognize holding a weapon, or perhaps it was something else. Did Marceline look at Ari next to Dolly and see competition? Did she see a threat? She wasn't dating girls right now, and her and Ross had gotten pretty serious, so it was an insane supposition. It didn't make any damned sense, but nothing over the last few days had either.

Ariana took a deep breath, and exhaled, looking down at her gun, and then looking at Marceline. This was all a misunderstanding. This was something that could be easily rectified. Ross might say something like 'no harm, no foul', or some other sports-related quip. So that was the way she'd take it.

She opened her mouth to speak and her frustration took that very moment to leap from her body.

"With all due respect, sweetheart," her tone was loud, her voice polite, but the connotation was anything but, "you're mistaken."

Ariana looked at Roxanne coldly.

"The only reason she's still standing is because she wasn't pointing that gun at us. Don't question my fucking resolve, or my know-how."

Letting that hang in the air for a moment, she felt her control starting to spiral away from her. She was angry. This was some absolute bullshit, to be questioned on her knowledge and proper handling of firearms was something that she found offensive. What was worse? Ariana was pretty sure that Marceline knew exactly what she was doing and saying. This bitch was trying to take her place and leave her defenceless. Well, the hell with that.

"I don't know if you've been paying attention, but we're in an absolutely fucked-up, insane situation right now. We're supposed to kill each other. I don't know what your deal is, what the stupid nicknames or this happy-go-lucky shit that you're putting on is all about, but you need to watch what the fuck you say. This isn't George Hunter High, this isn't the school trip, this is basically us in a fucking war with one another."

Ariana's voice carried, and her face became redder as she tore a strip off of Marceline. Taking a step back from all of them, Ariana tried to force her anger back down inside of her. She tightly clutched the Glock in her right hand, keeping the weapon pointed at the ground. She'd thought about thumbing the safety back on, but something about the way that Roxanne looked at her gave her pause.

Oh, damn.

Something about the way that they all looked at her, was now the issue.

Ariana did the math in her head. Marceline and Dolly had found one another. They were in a relationship, they were in love. She was happy they'd found one another, even if Marceline was being an unreasonable bitch. Rhonda and Meka had basically been stapled to one another, Rhonda a total mess and Meka looking as shell-shocked as ever. This Roxanne girl looked like she barely trusted Ariana and was obviously in with Marceline.

Where did she fit in with them?

"Fuck."

She didn't. When push came to shove, they would be more liable to protect one another, leaving Ariana with no one to rely on. The way that they all looked at her, with a shocked uncomfortability, it made her understand that her place wasn't here. It wasn't with these people. Coming to that conclusion, and knowing that it was likely something that Dolly's girlfriend had been intentionally doing saddened her. But the die was cast.

It was time for her to leave.

Taking another look at Meka, Rhonda, and Dolly, Ariana shook her head sadly. She didn't want to leave. It was entirely possible that she might never see any of them again. But this was the only way. If she stayed, it would only invite more conflict and more discord and someone might end up hurt - or worse.

"If you see me in the woods, just keep your gun low," she smiled sadly, looking more so at Dolly than anyone. "Good luck. I'm sorry."

Turning, Ariana took a few steps away from the waterfall, and then turned back for a moment, looking at Marceline and Roxanne, her face tight with barely constrained frustration. "If anything happens to them, so help me" she let the statement hang in the air, but the implication was loud and clear.

Ariana Moretti didn't do anything quietly, ever. She was loud, rough and tumble, and her voice was often in a room before she was. So when she left, it was almost unusual that she slipped away with the dexterity of a snake, slithering through the grass. Apt, considering she felt as though she were leaving a few snakes behind.

After a moment, it was as though she were never there.

((Ariana Moretti continued in Black Holes (Solid Ground)))
[+] V7

B027 - Morgan Dragosavich: "Now come on, you have a flight to catch."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - P7 - M1 - PPr1 - PPr2 - T1 - T2 - T3

B042 - Connor Lorenzen: "You— you're gonna have to live with this for— for a long time. A long time, and I hope you do, brother. Really."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - Pr1 - PoPr1 - T1

B005 - Claudeson Bademosi: "May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 -M1 - VPS - T1

B062 - Jeff Greene: "Wait a minute, you're not Palom—"
V7: 9 - 10 - 11

G042 - Ariana Moretti: "You were always here."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - M3 - T1 - T2 - T3
[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

1: The Essay; June 2, 2015
2: The Pizza; June 6, 2015
3: The Leak; June 7, 2015
4: The Safe; June 4, 2018
5: The Call; September 19, 2015

6: Coda
7: The Secret; June 4, 2018
8: ???; June 9, 2018
9: ???; June 10, 2018
10: ???; June 10, 2018
11: ???; September 13, 2018

Ross Miller

1: Shatterday; June 9, 2018
2: I Wait on You Inside the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea; July 13, 2018 - ongoing

3: ???
4: ???
5: ???

Pregame: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - M1 - M2 - SP - Snapchat

Carl Fredericks/Steven Lorenzen: The Needs of the Many

V6 (2015)
Mrs. Ritch: Sweet Billy
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

V3: B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
V1/3: B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
V1: B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
V1: B092 - Eddie Serjeantson: Fully in charge, but not much of an arborist.
V2: B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
V1: G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
V3: B099 - John Sheppard: Went out with a bang.
V3: B122 - Ryan Atwell: Couldn't help but write a "Dear John" letter.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

She had stayed silent as Marcy and Ariana had stood off, stood each other down. There would have been enough truth in saying that she didn’t want to interrupt what was already going on for the statement to not be a lie, but it was more in the spirit than in the letter that she was being dishonest. She was far more aware than she would’ve liked to be that speaking, reminding the scene of her presence would turn Ariana’s gun in her direction again. She was all too knowing of the fact that if that gun was turned on her, she would be dead and that wasn’t something she wanted. Once again, there was truth that saying she didn’t want her life in this new world to end all so quickly, but the real truth was that Anna didn’t want to die because dying was scary because she just wanted to live a while longer even though she knew how she was only buying herself a few days even though that mentality would make her just like-

Ariana screamed, raged, left, and the brief pause right after that allowed Roxanne to breathe, to reassert herself. Her life was not over as of yet. Her time on this island, as something or someone else would not come to an end so quickly. She was here with Marcy and her girlfriend and the other two and the topic of conversation was about to change, become something hopefully new.

Now was the time to see if Roxanne would be able to stay for that conversation. Now would be the time to see whether she really did have to leave her friend behind.

“So what are your plans?” The statement could be heard by the other four, but it was mostly directed at Marcy. She was the only one an answer was needed from.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Marceline blinked, unsure of how to express the confusion she was feeling in response to Ariana's huge outburst.

She didn't think the request was unreasonable, it made perfect sense. Even ignoring the gun safety issue, pointing a gun at someone who's not brandishing their own gun instead of just keeping it readied was more likely to escalate situations than deescalate them. The fact that they were basically at war with each other, as Ariana put it, only made that fact worse. Someone could easily assume they're about to die when a gun is pointed at them in this situation, regardless of what the person holding the gun is saying, and react accordingly in a panic.

Really, all that outburst proved is that Marceline was completely right to think that Ariana shouldn't have a gun. She was obviously going to get herself killed by some idiot panicking in response to her behavior, or worse, kill someone innocent on accident, like what almost happened here.

She shrugged to the rest of the group with an "oh-well" look on her face, pushing Ariana out of her mind. Someone that dense and angry wasn't worth wasting a single extra thought on.

"So, anyway!"

Thankfully, the others weren't dense, they actually had pretty good plans, even though they were just ripping off her girlfriend's initial suggestion. At least copying Dolly was never a bad idea, given how great she was.

Speaking of copying Dolly, Roxy wanted to know what her plan was...

"Good plan, guys!" She said, addressing the whole group with a smile, tension once again having faded away. "Finding somewhere safe and hiding out is definitely the way forward, we just have to be careful about it."

She turned her head towards Roxy, focusing the spotlight on her, but continuing to address the whole group. "If you want to know what my plan is, my plan uses that as a base, but it's a little more complicated."
Marceline had had a plan from the moment she woke up. The first step was pretty easy, find Dolly, now the second step was...

"You can't just find somewhere safe, if you wanna survive in a situation like this, you need to fortify it." She waved her arms as she spoke, the ferocious energy she exuded at all times making its way into her body language. "Cut off all the exits if you can, leave one open, maybe. Then, once it's fortified, everyone takes shifts guarding the place, so that way nobody gets complacent or tired..."

...protecting Dolly. That was her mission.

Her voice grew a little bit more tense, and a little bit more somber, her smile finally turning into a frown. "Now, this part is the tough part... you can't take any chances with the known killers. If someone has killed someone else for any reason other than self defense, they're guilty and a threat, and while I don't normally support the death penalty... in a situation like this, anyone who has hurt someone else for their own selfish gain deserves nothing but our fury and scorn."

She paused, momentarily, gently wrapping her arm around her girlfriend's waist and taking a deep breath, soothing her nerves. "Nobody's gonna go on a rampage. We're only going to defend ourselves if we have to, and we'll do it without needlessly starting fights."

Marceline took another breath, before smiling again, pointing one thumb at her face. "And, if you're worried, don't be, because I'm gonna protect all of you."

She was going to protect everyone here, if she could. Her main priority was always going to be Dolly, however. She couldn't let the most special, beautiful, wonderful person on the whole planet die here. So long as she could do something about it, she would never let it happen. If she ever had to make a choice of Dolly's life or someone else's, she would always choose Dolly. Especially if it were her own life that was at stake.

In a situation like this, she should be afraid for her own life, but Marceline never feared for herself. It had been a long, long time since she ever felt concern over her own well-being, because everything was always perfect, so long as she had Dolly by her side. When Marceline was scared, it was only ever fear for her. Always for her.

Dolly had saved her, long ago, and now it was her turn to save Dolly.

"Anyway... we're sorta sitting ducks here, right?" She said, gesturing to the wide open nature of the Memorial Garden. "Let's go find some place to fortify. The housing blocks that I woke up in looked like they were in the best shape, but if you guys have any other ideas while we're traveling, we could talk about it." She began to move, gently dragging her girlfriend with her, picking up her weapon from where she had left it earlier, and gesturing for the group to follow her as she began to walk off.

Turning her attention once again to her friend, she spoke one last time. "I don't know what you plan on doing, but you're welcome to come with us, Roxy-Loxy."

((Marceline Carlson continued in "...we must try until it kills us."))
backslash

Post by backslash »

Well, that went about as badly as it could have without anyone getting shot. Dolly was unsurprised, but still disappointed. She bid Ariana's retreating back a silent farewell.

Hopefully, they wouldn't see each other again.

She glanced at Marceline, made herself smile despite the disappointment. "I'll follow wherever you lead. Don't worry." There were possibilities buzzing within them. She knew how this ended, inevitably, but there were possibilities.

It was time to start deciding what it meant for things to end well.

((Dolores Upton continued in "...we must try until it kills us."))
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

And in an instant, the conflict resolved itself. Ariana didn't give Marceline the gun, but elected to leave the area. Meka watched her go. They really should have stayed together, following the idea of strength in numbers and all that. But clearly, Ariana didn't trust Marceline, nor did she see their current direction working for her. Ariana probably could take care of herself, and either way, it didn't look like their group would suffer too much.

Marceline definitely launched into the leadership role, announcing how to bunker down and fortify. Meka would have liked to have had more of a leadership role, but it sounded like Marceline knew more about strategy and defense than he did. He decided to let her be the leader for now. He could still offer his council, and their group dynamic still afforded him the chance to think of an escape attempt, or at least a way to lure the authorities to this island.

Marceline and Dolly were starting to move on, with Marceline suggesting some houses to hide in. Meka nodded along.

"Yeah, that sounds good."

He turned to Rhonda.

"Let's stick with them for now," he told her. "I think we'll be better off that way."

Meka, adjusting his packs and feeling one-half of the bow bouncing a bit in his jacket pocket, began to walk after Marceline and Dolly. He wasn't sure if Marceline was the best leader, but he could at least trust her for now if she was willing to trust him. Besides, this game was decided by numbers and relationships, so he needed to strengthen and grow both if he and the others wanted a chance to get back home.

((Meka Gibson continued elsewhere))
Espi

Post by Espi »

Rhonda felt her stomach drop. She listened to Ariana's biting retort and watched her go. She couldn't bring herself to follow. Ariana probably wouldn't have wanted her around anyway. She listened to Marceline talk. She couldn't make herself look the girl in the face. Something in her tone made her feel...bad.

Meka agreed with the decision to depart. That was good. Rhonda wanted to stick with him. She liked him, she trusted him, and hopefully he felt the same about her. She didn't know what she was going to do about...any of this, but if anyone she knew could figure out a plan, it was probably him. Dolly was a good person, too. Marceline and Anna, er, Roxanne, they seemed alright.

"Okay." She nodded and quickly went after Meka, keeping only a couple of steps behind him, occasionally turning to look over her shoulder. She didn't know what would become of Ariana, and maybe that was for the best.

((She followed.))
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

And they left.

And they left her.

And she was left behind them all, the implication being that she would soon join them. She would follow, the ones in front would choose their destination, and once they found it they would stay still. Wait to die. Pretend as if their action possessed greater meaning than it actually had. That… Roxanne figured that it would be a waste of words to deliberate that decision, to determine whether it was a road she truly wanted to go down because it wasn’t. It would be so counter to everything she wanted to do, everything she wanted to be and there was nothing she could think of which would justify that sacrifice to be worth anything. No. The decision was simple. The amount of headspace given to it already served as an annoyance, as something completely undeserved.

No. What she really needed to think about was how she was going to justify leaving Marcy.

Because the two of them were friends. Even though they had had their arguments, their… unfair spats, Marceline had always been one of the other four. Even before this year, she had always been someone who mattered, someone who… Roxanne could call a friend. Admittedly, she was one far more distant than Beryl or Alex, and they had always been points where Roxanne honestly thought she hated Marcy, but still, she was a-

No.

Marcy had been a friend. The past tense was what mattered most. Perhaps, in the world before, she was someone who had come into Roxanne, but now that she was here the question was whether that would translate, correlate. It had been clear from what the dragon, the men in the dark room had told her that anyone who took a step on this island would change forever. What she had done to herself — the fact that she had been able to change — served as proof, among other things. Marcy had changed. Alexander, Beryl had too. Someone who Roxanne had always seen as daring — even if to her past chagrin — was now placing her faith on a plan to play safe, to never take risk again. They were no longer compatible. They were now friends who had only naturally drifted apart the moment high school ended, as the life beyond took them separate ways.

And that was enough.

The words in her head felt airy, felt faint, but they were enough. She could maybe let Marcy leave her behind. Roxanne could maybe stomach doing what she was about to do.

Because it hurt, having to leave a friend forever. She remembered how it felt when her parents broke her camera, told her to leave all the people she knew behind. It tore her apart, of course, but she knew now that she had eventually gotten over it. Moved on to a new life, a new beginning.

That was what had happened here. Marcy and her would go their separate ways. It would hurt, but…

No. It wouldn’t. It didn’t. She was her.

She would be strong.

So she smiled, as the others went off without her. Watched, as they faded off into the distance. Walked away, once the sun began to set, as this first day in this new world crawled towards its end.

((Roxanne Herbert, continued elsewhere))

Return to “The Memorial Garden”