High Tide Rising

Day 6 Before Noon, Private

The woods themselves are still lush and green, with copious amounts of vegetation. Due to all the foot travel over the years, paths are still present even as the ferns start to grow. Despite this, it is still easy to get lost if one was to venture off the path as the woods are quite densely packed.

Thread Limit: 3
VoltTurtle

High Tide Rising

Post by VoltTurtle »

((Marceline let out a somewhat relaxed sigh as she plopped down in front of a tree, leaning her back up against it.))

The two of them had been walking since dawn through the woods at a relaxed pace, with Marceline leading the way. The foliage around where she had stopped was slightly less dense than the surroundings, the canopy above being particularly thick and shadowing the ground beneath them. The air was hot, and sticky, and it carried the distinct smell of the damp jungle foliage around them. Roxanne was nearby, just now catching up on her.

Ever since their encounter with Nick, Marceline had been considering her next course of action, forming a plan in her head of exactly how she was going to proceed. She had to be careful; while she now had a new direction to follow, it wasn't by any means a path of least resistance. If anything, what she wanted to do was the hardest path forward she could take, but she wasn't about to let that stop her.

She closed her eyes and inhaled sharply as she pondered, thoughts of her own violent, gory death flashing before her eyes. Getting held down by someone stronger than her and having her skull caved in. Being riddled with bullets from an unseen attacker before falling to the ground, dead. A single failed maneuver or wrong prediction in a knife fight leaving her bleeding out, alone and helpless.

Bold as she was, there were some obvious problems she needed to address. She was outgunned, and outnumbered. The only weapon she had was her girlfriend's knife, and while that could be enough to help her deal with similarly equipped attackers if she was smart, she wouldn't last against a foe with a gun. She knew enough of the known threats had firearms, going by the announcements and...

Marceline did her best to ignore the images of Dolly's broken body she had just unwillingly recalled, trying not to show any reaction to the sound of the double gunshots playing on repeat in her head.

She took a deep breath, returning to her previous train of thought as best she could. In order to even the odds, she would need to get her hands on a firearm or two, but obtaining one would be a monumental challenge of either violence or diplomacy, and it still wouldn't be enough by itself. Even one fight was an incredible risk, tantamount to suicide. She had no formal, professional training. She was a relatively ordinary teenager that happened to have fairly good aim and some informal self defense training. She wasn't an action movie hero, and she wouldn't stand a chance alone.

Maybe if she played it smart, always engaged fights with the element of surprise, and always prepared heavily in advance before descending on one of the known killers, she might be able to take down one or two of them safely, but as she fought more and more, the chance of something going awry would only increase. Any injuries she wound up sustaining could mean death, and even if she survived, she would likely be crippled either by pain or by the injury itself beyond the point of no return.

She was just one, versus many. If she really wanted to do this—and she did—then she would need to even the odds somehow. This wasn't a task that she could handle alone. She needed like-minded allies that would bolster her chances of making it out of a confrontation unscathed. More eyes to watch their surroundings, more firepower than she could use on her own, more angles of attack, and more variables for any killer to handle at once. She needed as many allies as she could get, preferably allies that already had guns of their own. Fortunately, she had one of those already, but going by their last encounter, she almost certainly needed some convincing.

"Roxy," she finally said, her voice somewhat hoarse. "I think I know what I want to do now."
THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU. READ ABOUT THEM AND PREPARE YOURSELF.
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson
Pregame: -#->
Memory: -#-#->
Prom: -#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-|

Richard Smith
Memory: ->
V7: -#-#-#-#-|

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
Pregame: -#-#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-|
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:
G013: Penelope Fitzgerald
G046: Isabel Ramirez

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Image G005: Madeline Wilcox
Image G030: Sara Corlett
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

((Roxanne had nearly made it through an entire week of this strange existence.))

Legs sore from aimless, endless wandering. Arms sore from the literal weight of the power she wielded. Hair greasy, clothes chafing, stomach empty, throat parched, but - discomfort was still better than decomposition.

Their encounter with the killers in the cave had ended better than it had any right to, and it even felt like a turning point towards hope. Despite Roxanne’s outbursts, the tension between her and Marcy had reverted back to something that resembled their friendship. They didn’t smile, but they could talk to each other in more than pointed silences.

The two of them paused for a moment. Roxanne closed her eyes, took a deep breath, felt the sunlight warm her bare arms. The island was dry again, and she hoped it would stay that way. Oppressive humidity was preferable to metaphorically drowning in an inescapable rainstorm, any day; even if her jeans had become a heat prison for her legs. At least they were durable.

Roxanne settled down across from Marcy, grateful for the opportunity to set her shotgun down. Her companion spoke, and suddenly - the chrysalis was complete. Time to hear the answer Roxanne had been waiting for, ever since she’d watched Marcy break down, since she’d done her best to rekindle some sort of fire inside of her.

Roxanne tilted her head curiously. “Tell me,” she said, smiling slightly; trying not to let her anticipation show on her face. Time to see if all of this had been worth it.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Straight to the point, as always.

Marceline thumbed at the handle of the knife sticking out of her bag, considering what she would say. She knew that she would have to present all of this as gently as possible. Roxanne hadn't been too keen on her behavior when they had met up with Nick and Marco, so she needed to carefully spell out her thoughts without coming off as if she had lost her mind. Her best bet was to go through her thought process one step at a time.

"Okay, so... all this time we've been together, I've been thinking. About this place, and about the time I have left. I really considered the limited options available to me and, no matter what, I couldn't get all of the tragedy out of my head. All the death, all the murders."

She paused ever so briefly to maintain composure, fighting to keep the images of her girlfriend's mangled corpse at bay. "And I... I couldn't stand it. I wanted to do something about it, stop it from happening, and save people's lives. I thought about how to do that, and how protecting people directly didn't really..."

She stopped speaking and frowned, holding back the urge to cry, the sound of gunshots reverberating in her head.

"...work out, like I had wanted," she continued, her voice cracking ever so slightly. "So, obviously, if I really wanted to save people, being passive about it wouldn't work. So I thought, what else could I do? And then it occurred to me that maybe if I wanted to stop the violence, I should directly stop the people responsible, the killers."

There it was, all of it out there now, plain as day.

"And well, there's really only one way for me to do that, and I think you're smart enough to see where I'm going with this." She thumbed at the knife handle a bit more, an attempt to satiate her nervous energy. "So, that's what I want to do."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Hm.

Roxanne had done her best to clear her mind of any preconceived notions about what Marcy wanted to do with the remainder of her existence - there were so few surprises left in her life, after all; at least until the final one that she might not even have the chance to appreciate.

Still. With nothing to do but wander and think, the thought had crossed her mind. And Marcy’s parting shots towards Nick (bluntly veiled threats of justice flung while the concerned man tended to his collapsed companion) had given her a pretty accurate idea of her friend’s priorities.

Why did she feel disappointed? Marcy was obviously determined, now, and wasn’t that what Roxanne had wanted? Anything was better than the sludge of despair she had been consumed by, all those days ago, the drudgery of pointless existence that Roxanne still carried with her.

Maybe she had naively been hoping to hear some revolutionary idea that’d completely shatter the paradigm of island life they’d fallen into, but - well, maybe such a revelation would’ve been pointless if she wasn’t the one who imagined it.

But whatever Roxanne was feeling, it wasn’t important. This wasn't her show, and she’d only heard the pitch - she needed to poke at it more. Poke at Marcy more.

“Every killer? Or just the worst ones? We’ve already left two of them alone.”
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Marceline was quiet for a bit, considering her response to Roxanne's question. She was relieved that Roxanne had not decided to instantly turn and leave her, and was instead was trying to prompt her to elaborate. She already knew the answer to the question, as she had already given it some thought prior to this point, but her thoughts were often ephemeral, scattered, and confusing. Thinking of how to word them would take some time, which she was sure Roxanne would give her.

When she finally broke the silence, her voice carried a sense of confidence. She knew she was right and that her cause was just, now she just needed to convince Roxanne, really sell it to her. "No, not every single one. There can be good reasons for killing someone, even outside of this place."

She leaned her head to one side and flicked her eyes towards the leaves above them, dots of sunlight managing to pierce the forest canopy, dreaming up examples of scenarios that could justify it. "Circumstances can sometimes align to make a tragedy like that unavoidable, especially here. Defending yourself or someone else from an aggressor, for starters. Or killing someone to put them out of their misery, like Nick."

Marceline still didn't believe Nick's obvious fabrication, but upon reflection it was abundantly clear that he wasn't so deranged as to be a continued threat to those around him. It would be for the best to save her energy and leave him be, at least until she heard his name once again on the announcements.

She turned her attention back to Roxanne, studying her facial expressions, looking for tells to help determine her hidden thoughts, and how she was taking all of this. "In my eyes," she continued. "The most important thing is determining if the killer would still be a threat if they were left alone. If they aren't liable to hurt anyone else, then there's no point in trying to stop them. I don't want to hurt anyone unless it's absolutely necessary."

Elaborate on that, she thought, respond to leaving the two back at the waterfall alone, so Roxanne can understand her motives. "For instance, Nick and Marco didn't seem like they wouldn't really pose a danger to anyone else, so I left them alone. But the others, the spree killers? The people like Quinn and Erika? The monsters like…"

Pausing ever so briefly, her voice took a turn for the venomous, coming out of her mouth now as a hateful hiss. "...like Blaise?"

Taking a moment to regain her composure, her intonation returning to the confidence it had before. "Those people, they are the ones I'm after. They have to be stopped."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Roxanne listened, keeping her face as neutral as she could - she could feel Marcy scrutinizing her in turn. The thought made her uncomfortable. She wasn't here to try and change her mind, just to test it; to see if she had thought her goal through to its completion. The freedom to determine which road to their deaths they would walk was the only thing they had left, and Roxanne didn't have the right to try and alter that with approval or disapproval.

She couldn't hide the curiosity in her voice, though. Marcy kept implying, kept dancing around the word. Despite the venom in her voice, the way she fiddled with her knife, she hadn't yet solidified the deadly reality of her intent. That was the first step in gauging her determination to see her vision through.

"Okay. How're you going to stop them?"
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

"How else?"

Marceline knew what Roxanne was really asking with that question. She wanted to hear Marceline say the words that she had been tip-toeing around up to this point, she wanted Marceline to announce her murderous intent in no uncertain terms. That was fine, certainly much easier than what was to come.

"If we weren't here, then the government would stop them, but that's not possible, and the only other way is..."

She hesitated. Saying it would still hurt, on some level. In the end, she never wanted to hurt anyone. She just wanted to be with her girlfriend, and not be here, in this nightmarish place. But since she was here here, she knew that if she wanted to be able to live with herself, she would either have to take on the terrorists, or the killers. Taking the terrorists on was just plain suicidal with the bomb strapped to her neck, and would violate the promise she made to Dolly, so that left her with only one recourse.

Deciding she had hesitated long enough, she started to gesture to her own weapon, and to Roxanne's, to emphasize what she was about to say. "...giving them a taste of their own medicine. Killing them."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

There it was. Roxanne didn’t feel any satisfaction when Marcy confirmed the obvious, but it was good that she was willing to clearly state her plan. There was hesitation there, but that was natural - the only question was whether Marcy or her hesitation would die first.

Despite herself, Roxanne had been wondering if there was any other possible place Marcy’s thought process could have lead - ambushing players and confiscating their weapons? Tying them up? Somehow setting up a prison to nonlethally contain every player they could find? All ludicrously impractical plans, but it would’ve been a fascinating surprise.

Then again, who was Roxanne to call anything unoriginal? The girl with no direction of her own, who had tethered herself to Marcy just so she wouldn’t just lie down and rot, next to all the other bodies by the sea? She hadn’t realized it, back then, but she had been desperately floundering, realizing the limits of the game’s tainted freedom. She’d needed a reason to keep walking, something more than just seeing the next sunrise. Who was she to judge the reasons anyone else had found? She did not feel Marcy’s grief or hate, lacked the same drive she did - but Marcy’s feelings were genuine, and thus, beautiful. Worth protecting.

Still, Roxanne would continue pretending to critique, continue playing the role she had set for herself.

“No, I mean. How are you, specifically, going to kill them.”
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

"Well, you got me. I don't really know."

Marceline's ideas were impractical, given the circumstances. The main issue was that she wasn't well armed by any stretch, and even if Roxanne would continue to accompany her, there was no way she would be willing to give her gun away. Beyond that matter there were still other issues, however...

"I could probably find them if I was persistent enough. I know most of the names and faces of our classmates, I'd be able to identify most people I stumbled across, and I could ask anyone we find if they had seen any of them."

That was one problem verbally addressed. She wasn't actually that confident in her tracking abilities, but keeping on the move and asking questions to get a vague direction to head in was well within her grasp. It would still take quite a bit of time to find anyone on her list that way, but with enough time and enough wandering they would eventually stumble upon someone. But, there was still the other problem...

"When I actually get to them though, that's a different story. All I have is a knife, while most of them probably have guns, and even if they didn't, I'd still be putting myself in a lot of danger," she stated plainly, before shrugging. "Until I get my own gun that's all I can do, because I can't just sit around and do nothing and hope one just falls into my lap."

Now that the plan was completely laid out, she just had to convince Roxanne to stay with her, if only a little longer. If anything happened, she would need the extra firepower. She couldn't force the issue too heavily, however. Making it into an ultimatum or demanding her to stay would no doubt turn Roxanne away. So rather than trying to say what she thought Roxanne would want to hear, it was better for Marceline to give her honest thoughts on the matter.

"I know you have one, but I'm not expecting you to give it to me," she said, her voice taking on a slightly resigned tone. "I'm not expecting you to be with me on this at all, not unless you want to."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

“I don’t know yet,” Roxanne said, as if she had anything better to be doing. “Gun’s mine either way.”

She was firm in that belief, at least. Power granted by a misanthropic dragon was still power. As long as she appreciated only her luck in receiving, not the giving itself, then gratitude didn’t feel treacherous. She’d always craved freedom, not power, but on the island they were one and the same; even if she loathed the thought of pulling the trigger. Not as much as she loathed the thought of her meandering existence ending any sooner than it had to, though.

It was a bit paradoxical - going with Marcy would allow her to leech a sense of purpose, maybe one she could even come to believe in. It’d put her in danger, though - which did she value more? Staying alive for its own sake, or having something to stay alive for? She would need to decide, and soon.

But. She wasn’t done yet. Time to get into slightly more dangerous territory.

“So you’re planning to take down the most dangerous people on this island. With a knife. You sure you’re not trying to get yourself killed in a way Dolores can’t blame you for?” She did her best to keep any hints of accusation out of her voice. Roxanne didn’t want to make Marcy truly upset - she just wanted her to defend herself.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

"No."

Marceline let that single word hang in the air, almost as an act of defiance. There was no real need for her to elaborate, this wasn't some kind of subconscious suicidal ploy, and she actually took mild offense at the notion. The promise she made to Dolly would be kept as best she could manage, but she wouldn't sit idly by and cower in some defensive location as her peers continued to murder each other without end. She needed to stop it. It was the only way she could hold on to any shred of meaning left in her now tragically short life.

Despite her misgivings, she wouldn't stay totally silent, because if she did, Roxanne would have an easy response of asking what Marceline's plan was. She needed to have something practical, and lay out all of her thoughts as honestly as she could.

"If I die in the process, then I guess that's just what happens. It's not like I ever had a ghost of a chance of making it out of here anyway."

She almost wanted to add that she didn't actually want to make it out. The thought of having to face the world after all the tragedy she had already experienced, let alone what she had yet to experience, was almost more horrifying than the idea of staying here and dying a painful, violent death. She couldn't possibly handle all of that, but saying that out loud wouldn't help her case, so she elected to avoid it.

"But," she continued, "I'm not stupid, I already did the math myself while we were walking around. If I were to run in and try to take them down one by one, even if I somehow kept winning, I'd get worn down, and I'd definitely die. That's why..."

She stopped, considering her word choice and content. Earlier, she had considered gathering allies as the best means of accomplishing her goals. That would be the best aspect to focus her current direction on. "That's why I would want to find people who agree with me, who also think something has to be done, and rally them to my cause," she stated, confidently. "There's safety in numbers, and the more allies I have, the better the odds are."

Now, it was just time to bring it home and make her pitch, but not too forcefully.

"And, because of that, I would really appreciate you sticking with me. I understand if you don't want to, though. You were there for me when I needed it, and I can't ask any more than that of you. If you think that's enough, I won't hold it against you."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Good. Roxanne’s stab had fired Marcy up instead of shattering her all over again. They’d come far enough that she hadn’t been seriously concerned about that possibility, but if Marcy’s resolve had been weaker than it appeared, it’d be best for her breakdown to happen in a relatively safe place. Thankfully, that wouldn’t be necessary.

Next came the formality of Marcy asking for her allegiance, as if Roxanne would abandon her so easily, after all this time. Her loyalty wasn’t undying, but there wasn’t much left in their small, dying world that could tempt her. Survival, maybe, if it wasn’t an unattainably distant dream.

“Well, I don’t have anywhere better to be. And even if I did… you’re my friend. I’ll stick around for now.”

She wasn’t a believer, but she was someone, and that would have to be enough.

“I don’t wanna kill anyone, though. Not even for you. Let’s focus on finding people for you to recruit, first.”

It was hard to imagine how many other idealists were even still alive, but maybe there was at least hope of finding someone willing to have an ordinary conversation, without pointing fingers or weapons at each other. Roxanne didn’t want Marcy to be the only person she shared her last days with.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

A sense of relief washed over Marceline after hearing Roxanne's reassurance. There was even a faint glimmer of happiness, of hope, as dark as it was. On some level, she knew that she shouldn't be happy about the idea of becoming a vigilante and killing people, even if they might deserve it. She knew that her actions in the coming days would likely be morally wrong, and that it would be even worse to take joy from them, but what else did she have left? Nearly everyone she had cared the most about was dead, and the few people remaining would be too, eventually. Maybe helping them live longer, even if it was indirectly and even if it required for her to do horrible acts to horrible people, well maybe that was something that she could feel okay deriving some amount of pleasure from.

Yeah, she liked that way of thinking about it. Maybe that was how she would continue to think about it, in the future.

Regardless, she grinned at Roxanne as she spoke. "It's okay, you don't have to. Thank you for trusting me, it means a lot."

She glanced around at their surroundings again, taking note of possible lines of sight. The pseudo-clearing they were in was protected by denser foliage around it, and would hopefully hide them from view. While it wasn't the most comfortable place to stay, at least it would be safe. The trees could theoretically serve as half-decent cover too, in case they happened to get shot at.

"Do you wanna rest here? It seems safe, and we've been walking a lot. We can start moving again whenever you're ready."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

“Sure.”

No sense in wearing themselves out by walking. It’s not as if they had any particular destination in mind, and there really wasn’t any point to overplanning their route - even with Marcy’s plan, anyone could be anywhere at any time; killers and potential recruits alike. Perhaps there’d be a higher concentration of people where there were buildings, but wouldn’t those have long since become battlegrounds, especially in the pouring rain?

But wasn’t resting at all a betrayal of Marcy’s ideals? She wanted to reduce suffering, but she had barely taken the first steps to accomplishing this. She had a goal and a halfhearted ally - and while the two of them sat, someone was probably dying, somewhere.

That was a pointless hypothetical. Not even worth voicing. Roxanne knew there was no way her friend could do any good if she collapsed from exhaustion. Maybe she was just feeling off-balance from how exuberantly Marcy grinned when she threw her lot in with her. She couldn’t bring herself to return the smile, couldn’t even remember the last time she had. There hadn’t been much reason to. She hoped that, if she wound up letting Marcy down with her apathy, there’d be someone else around to cushion the blow.

But, for now, they were resting. And that meant Roxanne had time to immediately deflate the moment by sticking just one more philosophical needle in.

“What will you do if a killer isn’t alone? If they’re travelling with a friend they’re trying to protect, but still hurting everyone else?”
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Marceline was silent for some time, taken aback by the question. That wasn't a scenario she had really considered up to this point, but she couldn't deny that it was a possibility. It was worth considering, which is presumably why Roxanne decided to ask.

"Well," she began to answer, carefully considering her words. "I don't think that's likely, necessarily. I think the motivations of the top killers would be too sinister for that."

"But," she continued, not pausing between thoughts. "If that does wind up being the case… then I'd probably want to try to interrogate them, sorta like I tried to do with Nick. I'd try to understand why they were being so violent. But if that's not possible, and they attack as soon as they see me, then I think it would be obvious that they were too dangerous to just leave alone, and I'd try to take them down.

"Without harming the potentially innocent person that's with them," she added. "I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I hurt someone who didn't deserve it."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson