I’m cold as cold as cold can be

Newcastle Emlyn, 2014 - CW: Self-harm, suicide mention, alcoholism mention

Writing featuring the lives of characters prior to their fateful trip go here. Characters may be in one memory thread at a time, though one-shots and solo threads do not count against this number.

Moderator: SOTF U Staff

Pippi
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

I’m cold as cold as cold can be

Post by Pippi »

It was a bad look, yes, one near impossible to explain away. But it could be. It could be justified, and it could be explained, and you just needed to listen, and then go away, and then think it through, and then you would, maybe, understand why it really wasn’t so awful as it looked at first glance.

It wasn’t self harm. Not really. Not at all, actually.

Because self harm was the sort of thing you did all hidden away in secret, out of sight of anyone, clutching a razor blade you’d hidden discretely inside of your rolled-up long sleeves. Not standing in the middle of your brightly lit kitchen, door wide open, knife held brazenly in your hand like it had always been there and there was nothing out of the ordinary. If you were gonna try and hurt yourself, then you would be petrified of someone walking in on you, right? Of course you would. So this couldn’t be anything of the sort.

(He was choosing to ignore the fact that his da was out on his boat right now, bobbing up and down on the slate grey waves, while his ma was staring down the barrel of yet another bottle of Merlot, and so despite the fact she was in the living room just down the hall right now, he was as alone as if he’d locked himself up in the bathroom and switched off the lights)

And of all the knives you could choose, it wouldn’t be a bread knife, would it? Why would you pick something with no proper sharp edge, just a row of needle thin points,

(Because he was scared)

And press them just into the soft flesh on the back of your wrist and hand

(Because he was so fucking scared)

If you really wanted to hurt yourself?

(Because he was so goddamn fucking scared that he would go too far if he picked up anything else, that the tidal wave of sheer self-disgust would crash down and blot out any sight of rationality or hope, that his brain would scream as loud as it could that there was only one way out of the prison cell that this two-story townhouse had become, that he just wanted, needed, that sudden shock to bring him back down to earth, a sharp point to cut through the cloud of voices in his head and make him feel clarity and shame once again)

This wasn’t the first time this had happened. It probably wouldn’t be the last. But that wasn’t, really, a bad thing either. Everybody got stressed out, didn’t they? Everybody had days where they got mad and upset at themselves, and so everybody had ways of reacting to these moments, methods they used to bring themselves back to a measure of normality. This wasn’t yoga, or exercise, or deep breathing, no, but it was also just bad luck that the opportunity to go up to the coast and breathe in the sea breeze and let the salt water wash over you and drink in the setting sun had snapped shut for tonight. And taking everything into account, a second or two of sharp pain, and the slight chance to receive tiny little pin pricks on your skin that you could chalk up to sand flea bites, well, that wasn’t drinking your sorrows away, or sitting in a cloud of marijuana smoke, was it? It wasn’t that. It wasn’t anything close to that.

(Because it had to get better, it had to, he didn’t know how, the idea was just some nebulous, shapeless mass on the horizon, but he had to be able to find a way to reach out and grab it)

And most importantly, this probably wasn’t even an incredibly rare occurrence. There were probably dozens of people at school, maybe even more than that, who did things like this. With a needle. With the point of a compass. They probably didn’t even think about it for a second, knew that it was nothing at all to worry about. How unlikely was it that only one person in the world did this, after all? It was impossible. Nobody ever talked about it, because it would be like telling someone that you had breathed earlier in the day. It wasn’t worth mentioning.

(It was the same thing he told himself to justify why he kept on dreaming and daydreaming and zoning out about waking up one day with long and pretty hair, and nicer hips and nicer legs, and boobs, not even particularly big ones, just enough, and why he kept on sneaking into his parents’ room and silently opening his ma’s side of the wardrobe to try on her dresses and skirts and tights and anything else he could get his hands on. It was normal, it had to be. The other boys in his class did it too, he couldn’t be the only one. It was just idle fascination, curiosity, wonder over ‘what would it be like if I did look like this?’ Nothing more. It was normal, he was normal, he was a boy who dreamed, just like all the other boys at school)

(And wasn’t it curious, wasn’t it funny, so fucking funny, how his brain so easily forgot this when it wanted to, how it let him know how much of a disgusting creep he was, how much of a freak he was, whenever he was at his lowest ebb, telling him how he needed to punish himself for being such a worthless little shit, failing to even acknowledge the depths of its own hypocrisy)

There. See? Nowhere near as bad as a single, uninformed glance might have suggested. All done in a flash. The knife would be lazily dumped into the plastic washing-up bowl in the sink, a Peperami and a glass of milk would be retrieved from the fridge, and the lights in the kitchen would all switch off. Nobody would have to know a thing.

Nobody would ever know.
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight
F18 - Nanna-Fiora Kroos - SAFE in Vive Hodie - “So let's be happy instead.” - Kel-Tec KSG
Her Nonary Game begins here

Those Taken
M04 - Galahad Matthews - Fireman's Axe, WASP Injection Knife, Netgun - It went from a spark to an open flame, now destiny's calling out your name - ALIVE
Present - And T'Were Well That She Stood > Cake By The Ocean > Now Look At This Net > P - I - P - E - S > If The Nineth Lion Ate The Sun > Out of the Depths of Sorrow and of Sacrifice
Past - Only Got Bad Things On My Mind When I'm With You
Home- The Man Who Wrote Thriller

SOTF: U!!!! soulja boy tell 'em
P007 - Kay Poultier - XL15 Flamethrower - When all these trees saw us grow, cut our teeth and make our bones right here - ALIVE - [Oceans] > house > Tolerance > world > harbour > tomorrow
The Ship - Shades
Memories - cold > sea > love

A CYBER'S WORLD?
A19 - Gabrielle "Gabby" McLeod - Go tell it to the plain clothed officer behind us, what are you, a master of disguise and keeping silent? - ALIVE - EQUIPPED WITH: MAC-10, M1911A1 Water Gun - Lemon Squash > Strawberry House > Uncharitable Circumstances
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

Malachi Harlington - One Room Death Game - 1 Medallion - ALIVE
[+] Remembering those lost
SOTF-TV
PNK3-Glen Bole-SDA-DEAD-28/66-"Ah well. I guess I'll find out at the nex-"
Weapons: SPAS-12, rather large tree branch, small pair of scissors + double rations
Kills: One (Simon Porter)
Status and Location: Lying dead with a bullet in his head, in Metanoia.
Cause of death: Shot in the head by Vincent Sullivan.

ORA2-Brennan O'Brian-DCHS-DEAD-14/66-I'm sorry...
Weapons: Bottle of LSD labeled "Water Purification Tablets", Colt Anaconda .45 Magnum (2/6, 30/36 in Box), SPAS-12 (Currently lying somewhere on the beach.
Kills: None.
Status and Location: Utterly defeated in Of Moons, Birds and Monsters
Cause of death: Strangled to death by Madelyn Conner

Virtua-SOTF
M01-Roy Benson-LIVES x00-21/47-No-one else is gonna get hurt... No-one else is gonna die here...
Current Weapons Equipped: N/A
Weapons Discarded: American Flatbow + 10 arrows (Given to Martin Ricco), 2 arrows, Rolling Pin (Burnt in fire started by Delilah Rivers)
Killstreak: N/A
Current Level: Final Level-Devil Nights
Killed By: Player F10-Holly Romero

F08-Amelia Lennon-LIVES x00-9/47-"Katie, Rebecca? … Thank you. I couldn’t have asked for better friends. You deserve to get out of here more than me.”
Current Weapons Equipped: N/A
Weapons Discarded: Pick Axe, Bowie Knife (Hurled off of mountain)
Killstreak: One-Player F03-Tania Chell
Current Level: Final Level-The Highest Heights
Killed By: Herself/Fall from mountain

Second Chances
G02-Aileen Borden-DEAD-30/37-How fucking cliche...
Weapons: Hockey Stick
Kills: Zero
Status and location: Staying snarky to the end in Thin Line Between Heaven and Here
Cause of death: Shot by Paige Single.

B01-Glen Bole-DEAD-4/37-“You’re a fucking coward who thinks he’s the big man, now he’s got a gun. You don’t deserve shit.”
Weapons: Binoculars, Sledgehammer, Large shard of glass, Beretta M92F
Kills: Zero
Status and location: Not close enough in The Twilight of our Youth
Cause of death: Shot by Karl Chalmers

The Program v2
M03-Jonathan Roberts-DEAD-19/41-“Hey! Hey, over here!"
Location: Made one too many bad decisions in Virtue's Last Reward
Weapon: Fiddle
Kills: None
Shot by: Anastasia "Tas" Flores

M04-Carlyle Shotton-DEAD-11/41-I... I did alright... didn’t I?
Weapon: Kentucky Rifle, Pitchfork
Kills: 1 (Gwen Phonesavanh)
Shot by: Robin Pounds

TV 2 LADS
IS3-Lucia del Pirlo-The Paranoid Painter-“I-I didn’t want to do it! I had to! Just... Please, you have to believe me!”-FOR LEAH
Weapon: Jericho 941
Died in pain and fear in Going Forward

SS1-Bunny Barlowe-The Ace Actress-"Regina! Regina, help me!”-HELLA DEAD
Weapon: Razor Sweet Pea Scooter, Frying Pan
Forever famous in Rock the Flock

Second Chances V2
B07 - Roy D. Benson - “"I'll save a glass of Moxie for you, whenever we meet again."” - DECEASED
Weapon: Kiss of Death
Current Location: Did you really think I'd fall to my knees just to pray for some sweet simplicity?

G18 - Bunny Barlowe - "And I bet you're a coward, too." - DECEASED
Weapon: Maschinenpistole 40, Kevlar Vest, Harpoon gun
Current Location: We Own The Night

Program Prologue
F16 - Faye Xandora - Deceased in Quietus - “I can do that. Watch your back, I mean. I think I might go insane if I’m left by myself.” - Pistol Crossbow
M39 - Morgan Jones - Deceased in Clean Up - “Oh, sweet Jesus, thank fuck you’re still here, I was getting worried for a-“ - Plush 'Hulk Smash' Hands
NPC-M16 - Scott Osbourne - Deceased in Rhizome 9 - "Sorry Mom, sorry Dad." - Caltrops (x5)
NPC-M21 - Joel "JB" Blackwell - Deceased in CQD Ward - "...!" - Yarará Parachute Knife
NPC-F29 - Victoria Bellamy - Deceased in Strange Bedfellows -“And there’s no future at all in a traitor who’ll never become anything more than a penniless skank in the gutter.” - Italian Folding Spetum

The Program V3
F08 - Kat Locke-Baldwin - Bubble gun painted to look like a real gun, Swordcane - Just take a look at my place, it's such a mess, but I'll be out of this space as soon as you tell me where the night is - DEAD
Present - And All Because Of A Snail > When A Curious Hate Oozes Calamity > Schrödinger's Kat in; The Prisonya's Dilemma > What if You... Wanted to go to Heaven... But god said, "ᴜɴᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ ɪᴛᴇᴍ ɪɴ ʙᴀɢɢɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴇᴀ" > P - I - P - E - S
Home - Anyway, Here's Wonderwall

Live on your TV now!
JL10: Laura Hakštok - Dead - Weapons: Tannerite Binary Explosive - I got left behind, I got high off my own supply, I got left behind, deep wounds can't die
SANDBOX - Floating - Camp - Worse
MEMORIES - 과부
MAIN GAME - > Prism > Fugitive > Time > CocaineQuest > Bear > Me > Paradigm

SB04: Bethan Gayle -Dead- Weapons: Pike (Polearm) - When everything is said and done, looking for answers if only one, turn my back the urge has gone, left with no reason we come undone
SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다
MAIN GAME - Blast > Turtle > Excellent > Fix > Someone > Talk > Fight > Shake > Heroes

An International Incident
O12: Matthew Omeruo - DECEASED - Trishula - With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite, how rare and beautiful it is to even exist.
Current Thread: Run From the Sun

Super Dupers
S002: Mercedes Guenther - DECEASED - Which one of us set on fire? Cause we both went up in smoke. Which one of us cut the wire? Ain't no bottom to this hole. - Your Actions Have Consequences
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
B3: Tatsumichi Oki - Smith & Wesson M59 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol - DECEASED - When the seagulls follow the trawler - “You an’ me, we can do this. Whenever you’re ready.”
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
Blythe Gaskell - Ever feel like you can't breathe? Does the water feel too deep? Lie awake cause you can't sleep without it?
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70
Brooke Gaskell/Dustin Priestly/Leona Witsel

TV
Verity Callaghan - We're living in the currents you create, we're sinking in the pool of your mistakes.
Reynold "Rey" Fountain - When all that you have's stale and it's cold, oh, you'll no longer feel when your heart's turned to gold.
Quinn Dallaway - I am flesh and I am bone, rise up, ting ting, like glitter and gold.
Josie Josephs - You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze
Fiona Cahill - I'm ridiculous, and feeling very particular about my world
Marcia Wolff

???
Dashiell Thompson - And now I'll never have a chance to be myself, so you can skip me with your heart again
Lazarus McLeod - Instead of carving up the wall, why don't you open up with talk?
Diana Mascherano - From stern to bow, singing land ho, the boat is leaking but we won't let go.
Cameron Light - Come down, and waste away with me, down with me.
Jermaine Urwick - Don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on all right.
Maya Dagenham - She hates it when I shout these words, but I'll still sing for you.
Ivor Faraday - Swung and missed, I put my heart in this mythical holy good guy I want so bad to be.
Winter Juson - And you know you're a terrible sight, but you'll be just fine, just don't believe the hype.
Miranda West - And why'd you say it's just another day, nothing in my way?
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu

Return to “Memories (SOTF: U)”