Strange Bedfellows

Phase 3 (25-36 Hours), Mina and Charlie

The dwellings found on the western side of the settlement were occupied by the poorer denizens of the town. These buildings tend to be low, small, densely-packed, and in questionable states of repair. Those that are more than one story tend to be divided into apartments, and were probably largely tenanted by sailors and dockworkers. The architecture is largely bare stucco and wood, and roofs are mostly flat. Gardens, when present, are small and poorly-maintained. Many of the buildings were clearly shared by many inhabitants, evidenced by extremely efficient layouts and numerous beds. The light here is poor, and there are a number of alleys and tight spaces suitable to concealment... or ambush. In the Prologue this area has no thread limit, so long as threads do not contradict each other.
Pippi
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Pippi »

Victoria’s gaze, of course, was fixed on Charlie’s face, smile firmly placed on her own, a smile she’d practiced countless times in the mirror, the one she used whenever she wanted something. She was very used to getting her own way, and she deserved it too, of course. It really did baffle her when people tried to rebel against the government; patriots got rewards, after all. Traitors got nothing.

“It’s a very simple proposal, really,” Victoria whispered. “Mashall seems to think you’ve got her back, she trusts you. So you take her by surprise and hold her down, and let me eliminate her, show the General I’ve got what it takes to win this thing. Then we stick together, watch each other’s backs. If we run into any other patriots, we help them. Maybe we can allow them to tag along with us. And if we encounter anybody trying to rebel against the General… well, you’ve already proven you know how to deal with troublemakers.”

Just as she’d thought earlier; there was no point in getting her hands dirty unnecessary. Allying with another patriot would surely get the General’s attention. One kill was what would prove that she could easily pass this test with flying colours.

“So what do you say?”

Victoria already knew what Charlie’s answer would be. There really was only one correct answer. She reached up with her right hand to pull the spetum out from its makeshift holster.
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight
F18 - Nanna-Fiora Kroos - SAFE in Vive Hodie - “So let's be happy instead.” - Kel-Tec KSG
Her Nonary Game begins here

Those Taken
M04 - Galahad Matthews - Fireman's Axe, WASP Injection Knife, Netgun - It went from a spark to an open flame, now destiny's calling out your name - ALIVE
Present - And T'Were Well That She Stood > Cake By The Ocean > Now Look At This Net > P - I - P - E - S > If The Nineth Lion Ate The Sun > Out of the Depths of Sorrow and of Sacrifice
Past - Only Got Bad Things On My Mind When I'm With You
Home- The Man Who Wrote Thriller

SOTF: U!!!! soulja boy tell 'em
P007 - Kay Poultier - XL15 Flamethrower - When all these trees saw us grow, cut our teeth and make our bones right here - ALIVE - [Oceans] > house > Tolerance > world > harbour > tomorrow
The Ship - Shades
Memories - cold > sea > love

A CYBER'S WORLD?
A19 - Gabrielle "Gabby" McLeod - Go tell it to the plain clothed officer behind us, what are you, a master of disguise and keeping silent? - ALIVE - EQUIPPED WITH: MAC-10, M1911A1 Water Gun - Lemon Squash > Strawberry House > Uncharitable Circumstances > Galactic Empire
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

Malachi Harlington - One Room Death Game - 1 Medallion - ALIVE
[+] Remembering those lost
SOTF-TV
PNK3-Glen Bole-SDA-DEAD-28/66-"Ah well. I guess I'll find out at the nex-"
Weapons: SPAS-12, rather large tree branch, small pair of scissors + double rations
Kills: One (Simon Porter)
Status and Location: Lying dead with a bullet in his head, in Metanoia.
Cause of death: Shot in the head by Vincent Sullivan.

ORA2-Brennan O'Brian-DCHS-DEAD-14/66-I'm sorry...
Weapons: Bottle of LSD labeled "Water Purification Tablets", Colt Anaconda .45 Magnum (2/6, 30/36 in Box), SPAS-12 (Currently lying somewhere on the beach.
Kills: None.
Status and Location: Utterly defeated in Of Moons, Birds and Monsters
Cause of death: Strangled to death by Madelyn Conner

Virtua-SOTF
M01-Roy Benson-LIVES x00-21/47-No-one else is gonna get hurt... No-one else is gonna die here...
Current Weapons Equipped: N/A
Weapons Discarded: American Flatbow + 10 arrows (Given to Martin Ricco), 2 arrows, Rolling Pin (Burnt in fire started by Delilah Rivers)
Killstreak: N/A
Current Level: Final Level-Devil Nights
Killed By: Player F10-Holly Romero

F08-Amelia Lennon-LIVES x00-9/47-"Katie, Rebecca? … Thank you. I couldn’t have asked for better friends. You deserve to get out of here more than me.”
Weapons Discarded: Pick Axe, Bowie Knife (Hurled off of mountain)
Killstreak: One-Player F03-Tania Chell
Current Level: Final Level-The Highest Heights
Killed By: Herself/Fall from mountain

Second Chances
G02-Aileen Borden-DEAD-30/37-How fucking cliche...
Weapons: Hockey Stick
Kills: Zero
Status and location: Staying snarky to the end in Thin Line Between Heaven and Here
Cause of death: Shot by Paige Single.

B01-Glen Bole-DEAD-4/37-“You’re a fucking coward who thinks he’s the big man, now he’s got a gun. You don’t deserve shit.”
Weapons: Binoculars, Sledgehammer, Large shard of glass, Beretta M92F
Status and location: Not close enough in The Twilight of our Youth
Cause of death: Shot by Karl Chalmers

The Program v2
M03-Jonathan Roberts-DEAD-19/41-“Hey! Hey, over here!"
Location: Made one too many bad decisions in Virtue's Last Reward
Weapon: Fiddle
Kills: None
Shot by: Anastasia "Tas" Flores

M04-Carlyle Shotton-DEAD-11/41-I... I did alright... didn’t I?
Weapon: Kentucky Rifle, Pitchfork
Kills: 1 (Gwen Phonesavanh)
Shot by: Robin Pounds

TV 2 LADS
IS3-Lucia del Pirlo-The Paranoid Painter-“I-I didn’t want to do it! I had to! Just... Please, you have to believe me!”-FOR LEAH
Weapon: Jericho 941
Died in pain and fear in Going Forward

SS1-Bunny Barlowe-The Ace Actress-"Regina! Regina, help me!”-HELLA DEAD
Weapon: Razor Sweet Pea Scooter, Frying Pan
Forever famous in Rock the Flock

Second Chances V2
B07 - Roy D. Benson - “"I'll save a glass of Moxie for you, whenever we meet again."” - DECEASED
Weapon: Kiss of Death
Current Location: Did you really think I'd fall to my knees just to pray for some sweet simplicity?

G18 - Bunny Barlowe - "And I bet you're a coward, too." - DECEASED
Weapon: Maschinenpistole 40, Kevlar Vest, Harpoon gun
Current Location: We Own The Night

Program Prologue
F16 - Faye Xandora - Deceased in Quietus - “I can do that. Watch your back, I mean. I think I might go insane if I’m left by myself.” - Pistol Crossbow
M39 - Morgan Jones - Deceased in Clean Up - “Oh, sweet Jesus, thank fuck you’re still here, I was getting worried for a-“ - Plush 'Hulk Smash' Hands
NPC-M16 - Scott Osbourne - Deceased in Rhizome 9 - "Sorry Mom, sorry Dad." - Caltrops (x5)
NPC-M21 - Joel "JB" Blackwell - Deceased in CQD Ward - "...!" - Yarará Parachute Knife
NPC-F29 - Victoria Bellamy - Deceased in Strange Bedfellows -“And there’s no future at all in a traitor who’ll never become anything more than a penniless skank in the gutter.” - Italian Folding Spetum

The Program V3
F08 - Kat Locke-Baldwin - Bubble gun painted to look like a real gun, Swordcane - Just take a look at my place, it's such a mess, but I'll be out of this space as soon as you tell me where the night is - DEAD
Present - And All Because Of A Snail > When A Curious Hate Oozes Calamity > Schrödinger's Kat in; The Prisonya's Dilemma > What if You... Wanted to go to Heaven... But god said, "ᴜɴᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ ɪᴛᴇᴍ ɪɴ ʙᴀɢɢɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴇᴀ" > P - I - P - E - S
Home - Anyway, Here's Wonderwall

Live on your TV now!
JL10: Laura Hakštok - Dead - Weapons: Tannerite Binary Explosive - I got left behind, I got high off my own supply, I got left behind, deep wounds can't die
SANDBOX - Floating - Camp - Worse
MEMORIES - 과부
MAIN GAME - > Prism > Fugitive > Time > CocaineQuest > Bear > Me > Paradigm

SB04: Bethan Gayle -Dead- Weapons: Pike (Polearm) - When everything is said and done, looking for answers if only one, turn my back the urge has gone, left with no reason we come undone
SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다
MAIN GAME - Blast > Turtle > Excellent > Fix > Someone > Talk > Fight > Shake > Heroes

An International Incident
O12: Matthew Omeruo - DECEASED - Trishula - With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite, how rare and beautiful it is to even exist.
Current Thread: Run From the Sun

Super Dupers
S002: Mercedes Guenther - DECEASED - Which one of us set on fire? Cause we both went up in smoke. Which one of us cut the wire? Ain't no bottom to this hole. - Your Actions Have Consequences
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
B3: Tatsumichi Oki - Smith & Wesson M59 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol - DECEASED - When the seagulls follow the trawler - “You an’ me, we can do this. Whenever you’re ready.”
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
Blythe Gaskell - Ever feel like you can't breathe? Does the water feel too deep? Lie awake cause you can't sleep without it?
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70
Brooke Gaskell/Dustin Priestly/Leona Witsel

TV
Verity Callaghan - We're living in the currents you create, we're sinking in the pool of your mistakes.
Reynold "Rey" Fountain - When all that you have's stale and it's cold, oh, you'll no longer feel when your heart's turned to gold.
Quinn Dallaway - I am flesh and I am bone, rise up, ting ting, like glitter and gold.
Josie Josephs - You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze
Fiona Cahill - I'm ridiculous, and feeling very particular about my world
Marcia Wolff

???
Dashiell Thompson - And now I'll never have a chance to be myself, so you can skip me with your heart again
Lazarus McLeod - Instead of carving up the wall, why don't you open up with talk?
Diana Mascherano - From stern to bow, singing land ho, the boat is leaking but we won't let go.
Cameron Light - Come down, and waste away with me, down with me.
Jermaine Urwick - Don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on all right.
Maya Dagenham - She hates it when I shout these words, but I'll still sing for you.
Ivor Faraday - Swung and missed, I put my heart in this mythical holy good guy I want so bad to be.
Winter Juson - And you know you're a terrible sight, but you'll be just fine, just don't believe the hype.
Miranda West - And why'd you say it's just another day, nothing in my way?
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

Mina could've left. Maybe she should've left, as the other girls stepped away, quietly conversing, the words that she was not meant to hear. It would've made sense, all the sense in the world. This was an opportunity to duck out unmolested, because while Mina didn't think Charlie would turn on her, that was largely gut hunch. She was risking her life by staying, not the sort of casually reckless but potentially valid risk that was staying with Charlie in general, but the sort where she was willingly hanging around to see how negotiations shook out with someone whose primary want seemed to be Mina's demise. There was no way that ended cleanly.

More than that, what was there to gain by sticking around? Little for Mina. Victoria's crass talk of tactics, for all that it was inaccurate, started Mina's mind working on those old pathways again, and she had to admit she didn't have too much she could get from staying with Charlie. The girl was battered, weakened, and a serious liability when it came to fostering alliances with those less likely than her to suddenly keel over. She'd killed twice, and the sorts of people who she was in good with were those like Victoria, those who wouldn't spare Mina a thought but could probably find a bullet with her name on it. The people Mina would be able to approach, those like Marion and Kassandra and KeKe, were a whole lot less likely to trust her with Charlie in tow.

And what did Charlie get from continuing their... whatever this was? Not a lot there, either. Mina had rendered what services she could. She'd kept Charlie alive. But now, Mina wasn't likely to be much help in a fight, certainly not when she was doing her best at all turns to avoid them. She'd ruin Charlie's chances with people like Victoria, ruin better prospects like she was ruining them even now, and maybe if Charlie teamed up with one of those other patriots, not the idiot she was talking with now but some other idiot like Whitman—and, whoops, that was someone else who was now aimed at Charlie due to Mina's casual trash talk, come to think of it—she might be able to live longer.

But that was really academic. Mina wasn't the sort who could ever win this, and, as much as the thought made her throat feel even drier, neither was Charlie now. It was less than two days in. There were so many others who weren't fighting blood loss, who weren't so quick to land in inadvisable fights, who had guns and food and the sorts of stomachs that would let them accept Mina's aid and still stick a knife in her neck the moment she bared it.

So maybe that was why Mina didn't leave. They were both dead anyways, so what did it matter? She looked around, considered the building, the doors to the left, the stairs, the windows, but her feet were fixed.

Was that really it? Was she held just by nihilism?

No. There were so many reasons she didn't want to turn away that it was hard to fully parse them. The strongest, well, it wasn't her fatalistic certainty of their doom. Might've been trust. Might've been idiocy of her own, to match Victoria's.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Charlie kept her expression neutral. Discipline. Don't allow your face to speak for you.

Work together, cooperate through the game, then leave a blank at the end.

'Show the General I have what it takes', that's how Victoria phrased it.

She wasn't as smart or as subtle as she thought she was. She was also continuing to view this in terms of patriots versus non-patriots, as if those considerations even mattered anymore. They weren’t soldiers. What made any of them deserve to live or die any more than anyone else? It certainly wasn’t dependent on how well they sang the star-spangled banner, whether or not they came from a good family with good connections.

Charlie knew what she had to do. Had known since she asked Victoria over here. The patriot, the one offering the world, the one who was like her, or that one back there, the rebel, the frustrating, galling girl who had landed Charlie in trouble and humiliated her?

And saved her life.

Charlie nodded a couple of times along with Victoria. Then, as she reached for her weapon to start off the plan to kill Mina, Charlie moved.

Right forearm around Victoria’s head, pulling it back, knife backhanded in her left hand.

Charlie thrust the blade behind Victoria’s jawbone and then ripped it across with all her might.
Pippi
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Pippi »

Charlie was nodding along with Victoria’s proposal. That was good, that was good. Thoroughly expected, but good nonetheless. It served well to be obedient, after all. A little obedience here and there in the now would lead to you giving the orders instead, in the future. If only Mashall had ever learned that, she wouldn’t be moments away from bleeding out in the cold and dusty doorway of some scruffy fisherman’s home.

Of course, an alliance could only last for so long. The General was a generous man, so if two patriots made it to the very end, he would surely be willing to let them both live. But nobody truly knew what happened to the victors of the program, did they? Victoria had an inkling; some highly important project, one that required the utmost secrecy, and for everyone involved in it to be hidden away from the public eyes. Maybe, for whatever reason, it could only be completed with one victor from each program. She had no way of knowing the truth, but whatever it may have been, she trusted the General’s decisions.

It would be a real shame to let another patriot die in front of her, but Victoria would do what she had to in order to prove she was the greatest American that National Summit had to offer.

The last thought that crossed Victoria’s mind was of her standing in front of the General, shaking his hand, a medal being placed on her, and she smiled serenely.

Then Charlie grabbed hold of her head, and Victoria let out a strangled choking noise, struggling to breathe through the sudden movement, mind fuzzy and spinning, like a television set that had been dropped on its side.

The struggle became impossible as soon as Charlie’s blade pierced Victoria’s throat, ripping it apart, blood seeping from the gash and spilling down her neck and chest.

Victoria fell to her knees, arms falling limply by her sides. She was dead before she keeled over forwards, facedown in the dirt.

F29 – VICTORIA BELLAMY: DECEASED
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight
F18 - Nanna-Fiora Kroos - SAFE in Vive Hodie - “So let's be happy instead.” - Kel-Tec KSG
Her Nonary Game begins here

Those Taken
M04 - Galahad Matthews - Fireman's Axe, WASP Injection Knife, Netgun - It went from a spark to an open flame, now destiny's calling out your name - ALIVE
Present - And T'Were Well That She Stood > Cake By The Ocean > Now Look At This Net > P - I - P - E - S > If The Nineth Lion Ate The Sun > Out of the Depths of Sorrow and of Sacrifice
Past - Only Got Bad Things On My Mind When I'm With You
Home- The Man Who Wrote Thriller

SOTF: U!!!! soulja boy tell 'em
P007 - Kay Poultier - XL15 Flamethrower - When all these trees saw us grow, cut our teeth and make our bones right here - ALIVE - [Oceans] > house > Tolerance > world > harbour > tomorrow
The Ship - Shades
Memories - cold > sea > love

A CYBER'S WORLD?
A19 - Gabrielle "Gabby" McLeod - Go tell it to the plain clothed officer behind us, what are you, a master of disguise and keeping silent? - ALIVE - EQUIPPED WITH: MAC-10, M1911A1 Water Gun - Lemon Squash > Strawberry House > Uncharitable Circumstances > Galactic Empire
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

Malachi Harlington - One Room Death Game - 1 Medallion - ALIVE
[+] Remembering those lost
SOTF-TV
PNK3-Glen Bole-SDA-DEAD-28/66-"Ah well. I guess I'll find out at the nex-"
Weapons: SPAS-12, rather large tree branch, small pair of scissors + double rations
Kills: One (Simon Porter)
Status and Location: Lying dead with a bullet in his head, in Metanoia.
Cause of death: Shot in the head by Vincent Sullivan.

ORA2-Brennan O'Brian-DCHS-DEAD-14/66-I'm sorry...
Weapons: Bottle of LSD labeled "Water Purification Tablets", Colt Anaconda .45 Magnum (2/6, 30/36 in Box), SPAS-12 (Currently lying somewhere on the beach.
Kills: None.
Status and Location: Utterly defeated in Of Moons, Birds and Monsters
Cause of death: Strangled to death by Madelyn Conner

Virtua-SOTF
M01-Roy Benson-LIVES x00-21/47-No-one else is gonna get hurt... No-one else is gonna die here...
Weapons Discarded: American Flatbow + 10 arrows (Given to Martin Ricco), 2 arrows, Rolling Pin (Burnt in fire started by Delilah Rivers)
Killstreak: N/A
Current Level: Final Level-Devil Nights
Killed By: Player F10-Holly Romero

F08-Amelia Lennon-LIVES x00-9/47-"Katie, Rebecca? … Thank you. I couldn’t have asked for better friends. You deserve to get out of here more than me.”
Weapons Discarded: Pick Axe, Bowie Knife (Hurled off of mountain)
Killstreak: One-Player F03-Tania Chell
Current Level: Final Level-The Highest Heights
Killed By: Herself/Fall from mountain

Second Chances
G02-Aileen Borden-DEAD-30/37-How fucking cliche...
Weapons: Hockey Stick
Status and location: Staying snarky to the end in Thin Line Between Heaven and Here
Cause of death: Shot by Paige Single.

B01-Glen Bole-DEAD-4/37-“You’re a fucking coward who thinks he’s the big man, now he’s got a gun. You don’t deserve shit.”
Weapons: Binoculars, Sledgehammer, Large shard of glass, Beretta M92F
Status and location: Not close enough in The Twilight of our Youth
Cause of death: Shot by Karl Chalmers

The Program v2
M03-Jonathan Roberts-DEAD-19/41-“Hey! Hey, over here!"
Location: Made one too many bad decisions in Virtue's Last Reward
Weapon: Fiddle
Kills: None
Shot by: Anastasia "Tas" Flores

M04-Carlyle Shotton-DEAD-11/41-I... I did alright... didn’t I?
Weapon: Kentucky Rifle, Pitchfork
Kills: 1 (Gwen Phonesavanh)
Shot by: Robin Pounds

TV 2 LADS
IS3-Lucia del Pirlo-The Paranoid Painter-“I-I didn’t want to do it! I had to! Just... Please, you have to believe me!”-FOR LEAH
Weapon: Jericho 941
Died in pain and fear in Going Forward

SS1-Bunny Barlowe-The Ace Actress-"Regina! Regina, help me!”-HELLA DEAD
Weapon: Razor Sweet Pea Scooter, Frying Pan
Forever famous in Rock the Flock

Second Chances V2
B07 - Roy D. Benson - “"I'll save a glass of Moxie for you, whenever we meet again."” - DECEASED
Weapon: Kiss of Death
Current Location: Did you really think I'd fall to my knees just to pray for some sweet simplicity?

G18 - Bunny Barlowe - "And I bet you're a coward, too." - DECEASED
Weapon: Maschinenpistole 40, Kevlar Vest, Harpoon gun
Current Location: We Own The Night

Program Prologue
F16 - Faye Xandora - Deceased in Quietus - “I can do that. Watch your back, I mean. I think I might go insane if I’m left by myself.” - Pistol Crossbow
M39 - Morgan Jones - Deceased in Clean Up - “Oh, sweet Jesus, thank fuck you’re still here, I was getting worried for a-“ - Plush 'Hulk Smash' Hands
NPC-M16 - Scott Osbourne - Deceased in Rhizome 9 - "Sorry Mom, sorry Dad." - Caltrops (x5)
NPC-M21 - Joel "JB" Blackwell - Deceased in CQD Ward - "...!" - Yarará Parachute Knife
NPC-F29 - Victoria Bellamy - Deceased in Strange Bedfellows -“And there’s no future at all in a traitor who’ll never become anything more than a penniless skank in the gutter.” - Italian Folding Spetum

The Program V3
F08 - Kat Locke-Baldwin - Bubble gun painted to look like a real gun, Swordcane - Just take a look at my place, it's such a mess, but I'll be out of this space as soon as you tell me where the night is - DEAD
Present - And All Because Of A Snail > When A Curious Hate Oozes Calamity > Schrödinger's Kat in; The Prisonya's Dilemma > What if You... Wanted to go to Heaven... But god said, "ᴜɴᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ ɪᴛᴇᴍ ɪɴ ʙᴀɢɢɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴇᴀ" > P - I - P - E - S
Home - Anyway, Here's Wonderwall

Live on your TV now!
JL10: Laura Hakštok - Dead - Weapons: Tannerite Binary Explosive - I got left behind, I got high off my own supply, I got left behind, deep wounds can't die
SANDBOX - Floating - Camp - Worse
MEMORIES - 과부
MAIN GAME - > Prism > Fugitive > Time > CocaineQuest > Bear > Me > Paradigm

SB04: Bethan Gayle -Dead- Weapons: Pike (Polearm) - When everything is said and done, looking for answers if only one, turn my back the urge has gone, left with no reason we come undone
SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다
MAIN GAME - Blast > Turtle > Excellent > Fix > Someone > Talk > Fight > Shake > Heroes

An International Incident
O12: Matthew Omeruo - DECEASED - Trishula - With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite, how rare and beautiful it is to even exist.
Current Thread: Run From the Sun

Super Dupers
S002: Mercedes Guenther - DECEASED - Which one of us set on fire? Cause we both went up in smoke. Which one of us cut the wire? Ain't no bottom to this hole. - Your Actions Have Consequences
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
B3: Tatsumichi Oki - Smith & Wesson M59 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol - DECEASED - When the seagulls follow the trawler - “You an’ me, we can do this. Whenever you’re ready.”
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
Blythe Gaskell - Ever feel like you can't breathe? Does the water feel too deep? Lie awake cause you can't sleep without it?
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70
Brooke Gaskell/Dustin Priestly/Leona Witsel

TV
Verity Callaghan - We're living in the currents you create, we're sinking in the pool of your mistakes.
Reynold "Rey" Fountain - When all that you have's stale and it's cold, oh, you'll no longer feel when your heart's turned to gold.
Quinn Dallaway - I am flesh and I am bone, rise up, ting ting, like glitter and gold.
Josie Josephs - You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze
Fiona Cahill - I'm ridiculous, and feeling very particular about my world
Marcia Wolff

???
Dashiell Thompson - And now I'll never have a chance to be myself, so you can skip me with your heart again
Lazarus McLeod - Instead of carving up the wall, why don't you open up with talk?
Diana Mascherano - From stern to bow, singing land ho, the boat is leaking but we won't let go.
Cameron Light - Come down, and waste away with me, down with me.
Jermaine Urwick - Don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on all right.
Maya Dagenham - She hates it when I shout these words, but I'll still sing for you.
Ivor Faraday - Swung and missed, I put my heart in this mythical holy good guy I want so bad to be.
Winter Juson - And you know you're a terrible sight, but you'll be just fine, just don't believe the hype.
Miranda West - And why'd you say it's just another day, nothing in my way?
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Mina waited. A soft breeze from the sea carried past her and into the house through the now-open portal, stirring the dust around her feet and prickling the bare skin on her thighs between the tops of her socks and the bottom of her skirt. She didn't retrieve the hook from its home, though she did check it, running her right thumb over the rough metal. It was cool and firm and deadly as ever.

Trust was strange. Mina was pretty sure she didn't care for it.

She wasn't watching where Charlie and Victoria had gone. In fact, she was studiously keeping her attention elsewhere, allowing the pair the privacy they'd sought. Her senses wandered, apart from her hearing. She was listening for one very particular thing, something that would have her moving in a heartbeat. She didn't expect to hear it, though.

Was that a whisper of a gurgle in the distance? Mina shivered, the breeze doing its work.

It hadn't been long, but ever so briefly Mina again thought about how foolish she was being. Something inside of her was tense, clawing at the insides of her chest, trying to get out and run away and hide somewhere safe, but she could keep it locked up for a little longer at least. What did it matter? They were all dead anyways.

When Charlie came back, she was unaccompanied, except for a few new bloodstains. Mina nodded at her, mouth set in a line.

"We should get some rest," she said. "There have to be beds around here somewhere. I can take first watch if you want."

She didn't feel for Victoria, not even a little.
Namira

Post by Namira »

The sheer violence of the blood spray caught Charlie off guard.

She wasn’t sure why. How many arteries in the neck? She’d just cut several.

Another strangely detached thought was that Charlie was very glad she’d stepped back behind Victoria before laying open her neck. Getting caught in a spray like that would not do wonders for her already blood-splattered clothes. Unsanitary too.

Because that was what she should be thinking about when splitting someone’s throat from ear to ear. Cleanliness.

What the fuck was wrong with her?

Charlie wiped off the knife on her sleeve, because what better way of removing some blood than on a bloodstain, and returned back to Mina.

Was Mina just not going to mention what Charlie had just done?

“She’s dead. Should probably see what she had on her.”

“Rest sounds good.”

She hoped that Mina, at least, would not comment on the tremor in her voice.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Yeah," Mina said. "Okay. I'll take care of that."

She trotted over to where Charlie had been, to the body that was surely still warm. The blood was still pooling, spreading over the concrete, a deep arterial red against the grey. Mina made sure not to step in it. This was nothing. The pool, that had been aftermath. That had been horror. That had been an abdomen split open, intestines pulled free, offal for the flies. Rot already set in, a former classmate turned stinking object. Victoria could've been asleep, except for the ragged gaping gash that was torn from her throat and the fact that her eyes weren't closed, like, at all. Mina hadn't watched exactly what Charlie had done. She should've, maybe. She still hadn't seen anyone die.

That was okay. Mina stopped and tugged the bag free from the dead girl. Was Victoria even actually dead? She wasn't moving, but she was still bleeding. It had been, what, less than two minutes? How long did dying take? Mina prodded the body with the toe of her boot, just in case the girl would rise back up like a monster in a movie, but that didn't happen, so Mina collected the weapon from her too.

She didn't want it. Maybe Charlie would. Mina thought to do something cool, something cold, and sucked her cheeks in as she collected a big wad of spit, but when she turned to launch it at Victoria's face she found herself staring at the girl's pale, bloodied cheeks and couldn't, she just couldn't, so she swallowed instead and choked on her own saliva.

Coughing, Mina made her way back to the door, resolving not to think about it further. Victoria was dead. Good. Let her stay that way. Out of sight, out of mind. And besides, Mina had supplies again. That was something. She was pretty thirsty, and now she could drink. She'd been feeling hungry too, but the protests of her stomach were of a different sort now.

"Let's try the doors on the left," she said, returning to the chat like she'd just popped to the restroom. She made sure to meet Charlie's gaze, to keep her voice normal. Nothing had changed, or no, it had, but not for the worse. "First floor's better if we have to jump out the window because more assholes show up."
Namira

Post by Namira »

Charlie leaned against the side of the building, turning her knife over between her hands.

Funny how much you could do with a knife. They talked about that in the cadets. Any weapon was better than no weapon at all, and for any talk about bringing a knife to a gunfight, there was also such a thing as bringing fists to a knifefight.

But the former wasn't as accurate as the saying necessarily made it out to be. A trained marksman would obviously take out a melee opponent long before there was any threat, but none of them were trained here, not properly, and this was urban combat. Shooting somebody wasn't straightforward, and once you closed to melee, a knife was much, much better than a gun.

That was three, now. All with this knife. Effective, she was getting very used to it. Hadn't even really needed to think about where to aim.

Of course, most places were lethal with a blade like that.

Good job Charlie. Top efficiency. Top marks for being a murderous motherfucker.

Mina returned.

"All right."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

All right. So in they went, Mina in the lead. She half expected to be surprised by some new terror, some classmate who'd hopped in through the window and thus hadn't left footprints but who was lurking behind a door with a machete and a thirst for blood. But nothing of the sort complicated their progress.

Mina's steps were quiet as possible given her boots, slow, sneaky like she was a child again, each motion careful. She tested her weight, listened for the creak of floorboards, minimized noise where she could.

The first door was a restroom, small and messy, mirror speckled with grime, toilet lid open and all the water gone from inside, shower without a curtain. Mina noted it, scanned for ambush (none evident), and moved on.

The next was a bedroom. There was a window, but it was closed, a desk with a chair in front of it, a twin-sized bed covered in dusty, pale pink sheets. That stirred a memory in Mina, something long ago, something she didn't want to be dealing with now and so she locked it away and she plodded her way over to the desk, abandoning any stealth now so that the noise could clomp clomp those thoughts out of her head. She dropped into the chair and dug through her new bag, digging out a bottle of water.

"Well," she said, nodding to Charlie, "home sweet home. Make yourself comfortable."

She set the hook on the desk, again not so quietly, twisted the cap off the water bottle took three greedy gulps but it had been too long and her guts seized, a stabbing pain she managed to keep from coming to her face as more than a quick wince. She'd meant to lead cleanly into her next statement, but instead forced it out a few seconds later.

"I'll make sure the neighbors don't give us any trouble."

Finally, Mina let her body relax, slowly sipping now from the bottle.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Fuck it. Sooner or later, she needed to at least try to rest properly.

What had she said to Mina earlier about other survival conditions? Sleeping counted as one.

Charlie tried not to think too hard about Victoria's logic earlier. The inference of there only being one winner in that partnership, which would be Victoria.

What about this partnership? When would Mina have that realisation?

But Charlie was on borrowed time anyway. Maybe she'd be all right with that. Maybe.

She had to admit, as much as she felt sick to think about the situation they'd been forced into, that perhaps a very good 'screw you' to the regime that had put them here would be to have a person like Mina win. Charlie could appreciate irony.

"All right."

Charlie moved over to the bed and gingerly lay down. Her stomach hurt less.

She wasn't sure if that was a good thing.

She slept.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

For a time, Mina kept watch. She was tired too, but she was used to being tired. She sat and she watched Charlie in the bed, watched the girl's chest rise and fall, and she was torn by conflicting desires that she couldn't even begin to comprehend, let alone parse.

Part of Mina wanted to go and sit on the bed next to Charlie, to rest her hand on the girl's shoulder or run her fingers through the girl's hair like her father had done when she was little and couldn't sleep. It might wake Charlie, but would she mind? Any comfort here was something, and what other opportunities would they have? They could cry, maybe, or just sit and draw comfort from a moment of peace.

Part of Mina wanted to go to the bed and slip out of her dirty, sweaty, bloodstained clothes and slip under the covers and nestle up to Charlie, pull the girl close and, and see what happened then, see if anything happened when she pressed her lips to the girl's. She would cling to Charlie like she'd clung to a girl in a bed with sheets the same shade of pale pink long ago, and too soon they'd die their little deaths together but maybe they might find something worthwhile beforehand, something besides pain and blood and fear. She'd have to be careful, so very careful, when she brushed her hands over Charlie's sides, to not dislodge the bandages.

Part of Mina wanted to fortify their position. She'd bar the window, blockade the doors. There were no collars, so they wouldn't have to move until the bitter end. Maybe they had a chance. She'd done her calculations and had realized how worthless the two of them were, individually and to each other, but maybe that could change. Maybe she could start taking things seriously. If she had a real goal, something she'd give her life for, maybe she could do it, could push Charlie through to the end, see something of worth come of her existence. And when had keeping Charlie alive become something so important? When had it started to feel almost more vital than ensuring her own survival?

But Mina knew the answer to that, knew it so brutally, painfully well.

The part of Mina that won made perfect sense. It had all the answers. This was the part that had rattled the cage inside, seeking its freedom, and as soon as the other pieces of her had their say, it quietly stood and then burst free, shattering its bonds and rending the bars of its cage.

Mina stood, very quietly. She was sneaky still. This had been inevitable from the start. She was stupid to think otherwise. She was stupid to think anything could be different. She was stupid to think she could change.

She left Victoria's weapon, but took the bag. Standing at the doorway, looking back, the parts of Mina that had been thwarted cried out for her to do something, to find a compromise, to lay a quick hand on Charlie's shoulder or a kiss on her cheek or a whisper of apology or anything, anything to wake her and stop this from happening, but in an instant they were stifled. That they'd had even that resurgence told Mina she'd stayed far too long.

How had they come to travel together? How had she let herself make that mistake?

Mina tiptoed down the hallway, feet finding the quietest, firmest spots on the floorboards, unconsciously cataloged earlier for just this purpose. She closed the front door silently behind her and looked at the house for only a few seconds longer than she had to. She wished, for a moment, that another bullet would come from the blue, blow through her skull and shatter her being into nothingness, but no bullet came. The snipers, if snipers there still were, held their fire, and Mina hurried away, leaving Charlie asleep and alone and defenseless, hidden but barely.

As Mina passed Victoria's corpse, the pool of blood haloing it now mostly dried, all she could do was hope that when she and Charlie met their respective demises the process would be fairly quick and relatively free of pain.

((Mina Mashall continued in No Longer A Dreamer))
Namira

Post by Namira »

When Charlie woke up, she told herself that she wasn't surprised, shouldn't be disappointed.

Really, she should be feeling grateful that Mina hadn't seen fit to kill her in her sleep. That was what a pragmatist would have done, and whether consciously or not, Mina had chosen not to do so.

Of course, when it came to Mina, pragmatic was one of the furthest descriptions from the mind. Even from their history together, the pragmatic thing to do would have been to leave her to die.

Maybe she just felt a sense of how ridiculous it would be to desperately strive to save Charlie's life and then murder her a day later.

Charlie couldn't claim that she wouldn't have seen the irony in that.

Charlie woke up to the empty room and spent an indeterminate length of time staring at the wall.

She told herself that she wasn't bothered.

Then she told herself she shouldn't be bothered. This was just Mina making the smart play. This was Mina thinking ahead for once in her life.

And really, she didn't owe Charlie anything, did she?

"Fuck you," said Charlie to Mina and the empty room, and told herself that the thickness in her own voice wasn't tears.

((Charlie Cade continued in No Longer a Dreamer))

Return to “Western Dwellings (Prologue)”