"Though we may not survive it..."

A simple river which offers so much, such as a place to bath, a food source, and a fresh water source. Be careful... someone could easily sneak up on you while you are bathing, or gathering food and water.
LadyMakaze†

Post by LadyMakaze† »

For a while, a strange expression had come over Madelaine face, as though she had fallen into a glassy-eyed trance. Having watched Heather being shot in the kneecap and fall over, she found that she no longer felt like cringing or wincing at the sight of blood or injury. In fact, she felt completely calm. No cold unsettling feeling rippled through her. No chills ran down her spine. The sight of Heather being shot down like that...did not seem to have much of an effect of Madelaine now for some reason.

This puzzled her mildly, and she wondered vaguely what was up with her all of a sudden, why she was not feeling anything. Her confusion increased as she felt herself remaining her calm while David pressed the barrel of his gun against Heather's forehead. Though for some reason...she felt a flicker of enjoyment as the crippled girl had cowered helplessly in front of David. It appalled her...and almost excited her at the same time...

She broke out of her trance abruptly with a sudden jolt, just as David had removed the gun from Heather's forehead. She gave a small shudder, paling slightly as she wondered wildly what in the world she had been thinking. Had she become so used to the killing and hurting that she was starting to enjoy it now? The very thought was ridiculous. Unthinkable.

It had unsettled her slightly, and now she looked around a bit for something to distract herself. It was a while before she noticed that Adam and Amanda were moving around a bit: Adam was walking towards Hawley and Amanda had approached David. As though on cue, she found herself automatically walking towards where Amanda was looking over David.

Madelaine regarded the wounds on David, and felt as though....she was not feeling anything at all. Normally such a sight would have sickened her, sent her paling most likely. But the effect seemed to have...bounced off, simply. Nothing reached inside her. Nothing unsettled her anymore.

How strange...

Deciding to fake a bit of concern, she looked over towards David and said, trying to sound worried, "You should go over to Hawley...he'll repair you nicely, alright?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler LadyMakaze. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
riserugu†

Post by riserugu† »

Hawley weakly took note that someone else was around him at the moment, only registering truly when something touched his shoulder and a voice broke through the silence that had been about him for these past few moments in time.

Struggling in place a little, Hawley forced himself to gulp now trying to focus on Adam instead of the burning feeling spreading over him like a wildfire on a dry plane.

"Can... do nothing..." He managed to wheeze, finding breathing, let alone talking hard to do at this moment.

Though as he got those words out the sickness washed over sending him pushing himself and moving to where he was able to get up whatever his body was trying to get out, though as soon as finished he fell back against the ground once more.

Though as he lifted his arm to brush the sleeve of his shirt along his mouth, the colour on the clothing and taste left behind caused him to freeze in place...

Sitting up a little, he lifted his arm again wiping a hand agaisnt his mouth this time. Though his body had gotten rid of all that he had ate these past days... it was also doing something much worse.

"Blo -- blood?..." Hawley found himself gasping out the question, at what as currently happening as the panic began to run in his mind. lightly shaking as he brushed his other hand along his mouth only for it to be showing off more blood. The shaking growing worse as his mind continued to worry in panic with what was happening...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler riserugu. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

"Well, that's part of it, just not the whole picture." David started before Madelaine suggested he see Hawley.

"He seems to have his own problems. This isn't as bad as it looks or hurts, I'll ask him about it later." he said, again dismissing the bleeding wounds.

"Anyway, there are a few reasons I helped you Amanda. As you know, after waking up I decided there'd be no way in hell I'd play, even if I did kill that one kid in self-defense." David trailed off at that, the memory of Andrew Klock's last moments entering his head in vivid detail.

"But that's not all of it." he said, gulping slightly, "Really, part of my reason was more personal than you being the daughter of the Vice President..." he seemed temporarily unable to continue at that, clearing his throat and fumbling for words. After a few seconds, his voice steadied and he continued.

"Well, as the both of us know, I've been scared shitless ever since the gas wore off, just like everyone else. When we met in the field, part of me decided to join because you were another person--safety in numbers and all--, and I always did kinda like you, though I don't stand a chance against Dodd. So I decided that I could at least try to get you off alive." he finished, seemingly waiting to be laughed off and ridiculed.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

OOC: Heather passes out with Kuze's permission

Jeremy had placed Heather down and saw that she had passed out. Looking up worriedly at Fred he said, "Maybe we should get her to the clinic? Somewhere where we can patch her up or something..." Jeremy became silent, looking at Fred, then around him. He was trying to recount what had happened to him since he came on this island, but he coudlnt. So much had happened to him that he couldnt think clearly. He took a deep breath and everything came back to him.

Jeremy was a strong person, he's been through worse...well not worse...but tough situations before. He can push past this.

Jeremy sat in the bleachers with his teamates. He watched as the weight class before him went to the mat. Jeremy stood up and went to the side of the bleachers. He was about to wrestler a wrestler from one of the toughest teams. Sectionals were coming up, and Jeremy had to do good.

Jeremy took off his sweatshirt and rolled his arms. He then took off his sweats. All he was wearing was his singlet, and black shorts. He started doing his warmups. He watched the match as he continued. His teamate was on top of the opponent, broke him down, and put a half nelson in, but the opponent was strong, and rolled over Jeremy's teamate. And sunk in a deep half nelson and pinned him.

Jeremy sighed, he knew he had to do good, or the coach would be mad. They were losing the meet. Jeremy took off his shorts and strapped on his headgear. He jogged across the mat to check in with the scorekeepers. Jeremy then went to the center of the mat and got in his stance. He looked as his opponent, a tall, muscular armed kid got in his stance. They shook hands, and Jeremy looked him in the eyes. The ref blew the whistle.

((Continued in: Arrival))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
riserugu†

Post by riserugu† »

Fred glanced back, sighing somewhat as he rubbed the back of his neck. Glancing about the three, in the group he strangly found himself as sort of unoffical leader of sorts. Listening to Jeremy words he casted a glance toward the other group in the area, and nodded. "Sounds bloody awesome at the moment, mate." He mused, trying to lighter up the tension.

Walking back he threw his daypack back onto his form, before looking to Heather. Moving down into a crouching position, he knew at least him or Jeremy had to be ready if they where attacked while the other carried Heather. Moving himself, he moved her to where he could pick her up against his back, hooking his arms under her knees, and moving her arms over his shoulders.

"Alright, then. Let's move shall we? Glenn, hey bro let's go alright?" He said, watching as the younger of the two slowly slide off where he had been sitting walking toward him and standing silently as he waited for Fred to move.

Stepping out from where they had stationed themselves, he passed a wave of sorts off at Adam though he wasn't sure if the other had saw it, he seeming busy with something concering Faust. Which he still knew... least somewhere to him, couldn't be trusted.

Sighing still, he slowly began to make his way away from the river.

(( Continued in: Arrival ))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler riserugu. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

Jason sighed with anger as Jayne snapped a nearby twig while catching up with him, making what sounded to him as a thunderous noise. After watching what transpired for a while after that (miraculously, nobody seemed to hear the twig) he made a hand signal to Jayne telling her to follow him and walked off on the path with the girl not too far behind him.

OOC: Continued in "Betrayal": http://s10.DEFUNCT_IF_LINK/SurvivalOfTheF...p?showtopic=474
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Amanda couldn't help it when her eyes widened in surprise at David's admission. She'd never really been the kind of girl that many guys really had a thing for. It wasn't something that she was used to at all, and because of that, she always got really quiet on the rare occasion when guys admitted that to her. David wasn't someone she had known all that well before SOTF, but she had been in classes with him from time to time, and she HAD been at a few baseball games...

Wow...what do I even say to him? He knows what Adam and I have going on...but...wow...

Amanda shifted uncomfortably in position and tried unsucessfully to let the surprise not show on her face. Clearing her throat, she tried her best to stumble out a response.

"Wow...David, I, uh...I don't know what to say...why, um, why didn't you say anything?"

Inwardly, she winced. More than likely, that wasn't the way to comfort the bleeding boy, but it was out of her mouth before she could even stop it. She couldn't help to steal a glance at Madelaine to see what her reaction was.

~~~

Across the way, Adam's eyes lit up with concern as Hawley wiped his mouth with his hand and came up with a bright red substance. Swearing under his breath, he looked around. Seeing nobody in the direct viscinity, except for the prone body of Marcus, Adam couldn't help but resign himself to the fact that mortality was beginning to manifest itself in ways that he didn't want to imagine. He'd already lost one of his best friends in Andrew Lipson, but to lose Hawley as well...

These bastards...these fucking...bastards...

And that was all he could say. He couldn't do anything to these men, he couldn't do a damned thing, except swear at them and try not to get killed himself. All he had was a wound on his arm (that was beginning to feel a lot better, actually) and blood on his conscience.

And so it seemed, Hawley Faust, the teenager who Adam'd become closest with in the game, barring even perhaps Amanda, it seemed...

...it seemed like Hawley was dying.

Looking at Hawley, Adam clasped the boy's shoulder, and looked at him, a small tear rolling halfway down his cheek before he quickly brushed it away.

"Hawley...dude...you're bleeding internally..."
[+] V7

B027 - Morgan Dragosavich: "Now come on, you have a flight to catch."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - P7 - M1 - PPr1 - PPr2 - T1 - T2 - T3

B042 - Connor Lorenzen: "You— you're gonna have to live with this for— for a long time. A long time, and I hope you do, brother. Really."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - Pr1 - PoPr1 - T1

B005 - Claudeson Bademosi: "May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 -M1 - VPS - T1

B062 - Jeff Greene: "Wait a minute, you're not Palom—"
V7: 9 - 10 - 11

G042 - Ariana Moretti: "You were always here."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - M3 - T1 - T2 - T3
[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

1: The Essay; June 2, 2015
2: The Pizza; June 6, 2015
3: The Leak; June 7, 2015
4: The Safe; June 4, 2018
5: The Call; September 19, 2015

6: Coda
7: The Secret; June 4, 2018
8: ???; June 9, 2018
9: ???; June 10, 2018
10: ???; June 10, 2018
11: ???; September 13, 2018

Ross Miller

1: Shatterday; June 9, 2018
2: I Wait on You Inside the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea; July 13, 2018 - ongoing

3: ???
4: ???
5: ???

Pregame: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - M1 - M2 - SP - Snapchat

Carl Fredericks/Steven Lorenzen: The Needs of the Many

V6 (2015)
Mrs. Ritch: Sweet Billy
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

V3: B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
V1/3: B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
V1: B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
V1: B092 - Eddie Serjeantson: Fully in charge, but not much of an arborist.
V2: B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
V1: G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
V3: B099 - John Sheppard: Went out with a bang.
V3: B122 - Ryan Atwell: Couldn't help but write a "Dear John" letter.
riserugu†

Post by riserugu† »

He hadn't moved at all, not since he's discovery of what was internally going on within in him. The blood on his hand, and the metallic taste swimming about in his mouth was all he needed for that ever-so dark feeling that;

'I'm going to die on this island...'

Thought to press into his mind, Adam's words just confirmed what he had already figured. Of course he knew about internal bleeding, it was a leading cause of death among people, because so many never noticed it was happening. In the times when he had been reading his parent's medical books he had read about countless times...

Ever here on the island he hadn't dealt with it, he had dealt with a wide variety of wounds while on this island and during this game. Nanami might have been the only time, but he hadn't gotten to see the extent of her wounds... and her death could have been caused my number of things as well.

Coughing violently into his already blood-stained hand it wasn't long til it was dripping in the red liquid... his thoughts pressing to figure out how things had gotten so out of hand. The main problem being he had been so worried about if the others where alright, and tendering to them he had hardly any time to worry about himself. He hadn't cleaned or redressed his wounds in what seemed so long... he knew the last time he had even been concerned with his knee was way back when Alan had still been alive.

And his burn wound had been treated at all, exposed to anything and everything this island had to offer up. And the infection was the only word he could think of that could be the cause of all of this... and of course infections eat away at whatever they come in contact with. And by his lack of ability to talk and/or breathe, as well as the contast taste of blood in his throat he figured that is where all his problems would end...

Smiling none the less, Hawley found himself leaning back in where he sat lightly eyeing what pieces of sky where visible at that moment be tilting his head back down. Coughing roughly before glancing off toward Adam; "I didn't.... fig... figure I'd go out like this. I want.. wanted... to do... so... so much more." He mummbled, glancing off toward the ground. "I didn't... I don't want to die now, not like this... not before... I could at least... do something worth, proving myself. That... I'm not how everyone thinks... I-I am..."
LadyMakaze†

Post by LadyMakaze† »

For a while, Madelaine simply stared off into space, struggling to shake off the barrier of numbness that seemed to seperate her from the real world. From what Madelaine deduced, the strain of their situation was finally getting to her. It was affecting her mind and her ability to feel....

And it had only started after witnessing the death of a friend.

No matter...she had to move on. She thought this as she paced about restlessly. She had to survive with her friends, and move on. Nothing mattered less than the past. Nanami was the past, and no matter how much it pained her to admit it, this enough was true.

She looked over towards Hawley, her attention suddenly caught by Adam's grave remark.

Was Hawley going to die, like Nanami? Was Madelaine to witness yet another friend's death?

"No..." She whispered, walking towards them. "He's supposed to live." She said this firmly, though her voice trembled slightly. She looked towards Hawley. "Right? You have to survive. We're leaving this island, and you HAVE to come with us. You're not supposed to die, you hear?"

Her voice was trembling madly now, as though she was struggling to convince herself. "You're supposed to survive. We have to leave together."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler LadyMakaze. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Adam watched Hawley struggle through his words, and the effort and pain going through the other boys' face clarified what Adam had known ever since he had found Lipson's corpse on the shore - each, and every single one of them, was likely going to die, and there was nothing that could be done about it.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

The screaming that went through Adam's mind was tremendous. His friend, his ally was dying in front of him, and it appeared that with everyone else seemingly otherwise indesposed, there would only be one witness to what appeared was going to be the quiet end of Hawley Faust.

And aren't I so lucky, it gets to be me.

On the outside though, Adam was trying to keep a strong resolve, and as Hawley admitted that he felt as though he needed to prove something to the others, Adam shook his head and chuckled softly.

"Prove yourself? Fuck, Hawley. You don't need to prove jack-shit to anyone else. What do you think that you need to prove? You think that you need to prove anything to me? HELL no. Damnit, Hawley. Out here, you're my best friend. You're the one guy that I knew, no matter what, would have my back. You listened to my problems, you helped me find a certain girl. Dude, without you, I probably wouldn't have made it this far, I'd probably be dead already. Hell, most of us probably would be. So don't you DARE think that you need to prove yourself. You've already gone and done that, and in my eyes, Hawley Faust, you're already a hero. And THAT is what everyone thinks you are."

Adam's eyes became damp, and he wiped them quickly. It just wasn't fair. Hawley was one of the good guys, one of the people who was MEANT to get off of the island. Adam was supposed to see to it. And yet...it didn't take a doctor to see that the strength was draining from the body of the boy that seemingly just wouldn't die.

Sure, they'd been through a lot. They'd been shot at, burned, attacked, punched, and everything else you could think of. They'd been through the ringer, but they'd come out okay...

...or maybe we didn't, after all....
[+] V7

B042 - Connor Lorenzen: "You— you're gonna have to live with this for— for a long time. A long time, and I hope you do, brother. Really."

B005 - Claudeson Bademosi: "May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

2: I Wait on You Inside the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea; July 13, 2018 - ongoing

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

V3: B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
V1/3: B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
V1: B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
V2: B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
V1: G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
riserugu†

Post by riserugu† »

Hawley's attention was caught off-guard when Madelaine's voice broke into his thought causing him to look up at the girl that he had also found himself befriending during this time. Her trembling words only caused a frown to grace his lips,

"I'm -- sorry, I promised both Amanda and you that I would... help you get off this place. I've always been rather bad with keeping promises... and... it's seems I'm going to be breaking... an--another."

He glanced downward again, muttering lowly. "I'm... sorry."

He found himself saying again, though as he sat there eyeing the dirt on the ground flecks of red visible on the dark surface. The redness growing with each violent cough that spilled more blood from his throat and out of his mouth.

But everything stopped moving when Adam started talking, each word almost piercing him... everything he was saying was of course true. But the one thing that was finally sinking in was that he did have friends, and he had people who cared about him off and even on this island.

Sad though, he thought, that it took this long to figure it out.

All he wanted... the one thing he feared the most was being alone. It had been a fear driven into him at a young age and grew as he had grown. And even when he had came onto this island fully ready to kill every single last person... and he had his first victim.

Helena Van Garret... a girl that had done nothing but make his, and others lives a living hell.

And he shot her dead.
He had killed her in cold... blood.

Three more kills lay in wait. Two in self-defense... another was a complete accident... but all three had still been killed by his own hands. Though that might not have been the case if Alan and Adam and barged in that day.

Here he was, being called a best friend by a guy he thought about killing when they had first met, and almost killed not hours ago.

A guy that had shot at him, questioned his sanity and probably even figured be better off dead than alive. He found was the first person he could really, and truly call a friend.

Lifting his clean hand, he wiped away any signs of tears from his eyes as he shook his head a little.

Funny, how he found the best of people to call friends on a place like this. This place where they could all, and he was, going to die on.

Smiling, and not bothering with the new tears. He couldn't help the words that came out; "Thank you."

Though smile faded once more as his body was racked in a fit a violent coughs, he curled into himself and closer toward the ground as more blood fought it's way out.

Caking the dark dirt, red. As he sat there, coughing out what had been spilled so much since this game had begun.

And even though he didn't want to admit aloud, though he was sure they all knew, so much more would be shed before this dark game came to an end. And though he hated to think it, some of the blood might well belong to them...

Replaying Adam's words in his head though... he found one stuck a cord within his mind. Flashing back to a time he well had forgotten...

Hero...

-------

They say when you die, your life flashes before your eyes.

A majority of everyone says this, but most don't believe it.

Hawley had always been one not to believe, of course. But of course, sometimes he could be proven wrong to something he never believed was real. This wasn't quite his life in full, more like a really, really small piece he only partly remembered.

There he was a toddler by his size... and his clothes. Walking through that park near where his family lived, he clutching against his father's pants leg in an attempt to keep up.

Till something seemed to catch his own eyes, and cause his younger self to release his father's pants leg when the said man had decided to stop a moment.

But could only be described as troddling over to another bench, where only one other person was. A smallish woman, with a shade of red hair very similar to his own in so many ways.

Though from what he could see now... it wasn't the woman, but the birds the woman was feeding that had caught his younger self's attention.

Though as chubby legs raced tried to catch one of the birds, he only found himself tripping on the rocky ground and face-planting in the hard earth.

Tears quickly springing to life as this happened... hands trying to cover the blood coming from the skinned knee.

But as this was happening, Hawley's eyes found the woman again as she rose from her seat and wondered over to his younger self settling into a couching position and opening the purse along her side. A spray bottle of antibacterial and a band-aid coming worth.

"There, there. No more need for tears..." She mused in a sing-song voice, spraying the bottle and placing the bandages on in a mere matter of moments.

He noting that the younger self had indeed, stopped crying. The woman with the same coloured hair smiling brightly, and patting him on his head lightly.

"There's my little hero..."

-----------

Bringing himself from his world of thoughts he couldn't help the tears flowing much at all now... and forced himself to slowly rise up from his spot curled into himself looking at the two that stood most near him once more.

Summoning up all that he had left in him, he forced himself to talk. "I don't know if you understand... how much... your friendship really... means to me.

For as long as I can remember, I've been alone. Only allowed to trust myself... I couldn't allow myself to live in the world outside my own dark one.

But you've allowed me to do so... so very much. I've never been able to tell anyone how I was feeling, or all I've been through before... not til now. And in the end, now... I still trust you all with my very life and soul. I always figured... when this all started... I'd die alone, or finish the job on my neck I started... but you... all of you have proven to be that my life does have some meaning.

I'm not worthless... and I don't have to prove that to anyone otherwise. I was able to make friends anyway... I not -- and I never will be alone anymore.

And I thank you --- all for giving me that." He said, finding words fading quickly as the blurry vision of his eyesight was now being given away to simple darkness.

Turning to look at Adam the best he could, blood on around his mouth and eyes wet from crying he found the need to speak again as he lifted his clean hand placing it on his shoulder.

"And I have you to thank the -- the most for all this... if I hadn't met you... I don't want to think of the kind of person I would be right now... And if there's one thing, one thing you can do for me... get off the god damn island... ple --"

Words ended as another attack came on, and more blood spilled but as this one ended he found that everything just seemed to almost start shutting down. Almost like a computer... first his sense of taste, smell, hearing, sight... and in the end he just found himself falling forward where he sat, hand slipping off Adam's shoulder and back to his side as he finally just closed his eyes.

'Thank you so much...'

Boy 22 - Hawley Faust - Dead
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Once upon a time
I was of the mind to lay your burden down
and leave you where you stood
you believed i could
you'd seen it done before
i could read your thoughts
and tell you what you saw
and never say a word
but now that is gone
over with and done
and never to return

As he listened to Hawley speak, tears rolled freely down his dirt-smeared face. Adam couldn't believe it. It seemed that here, in the river, things - more things than they could imagine, were coming to an end. As he listened to Hawley's final diatribe, he couldn't help but wish that he had some sort of magical powers, some sort of healing touch, so that he could simply put his hands on Hawley's throat and clear it right up, make things right again. But sadly, this was not the world of make believe. This was real fucking life, and Hawley Faust was dying, not a damned thing that Adam could do about it.

i can tell you why
people die alone
i can tell you why
the shadow on the sun

And finally, as Hawley looked directly at him, catching him directly in his eyes, struggling and putting his hand on Adam's shoulder, Adam knew. He knew that Hawley, the quiet, misunderstood, suicidal boy, he was no more. Instead, it was a Hawley who was about as far from being suicidal as humanly possible. Adam could understand this, the look in his eyes conveyed it perfectly. As Adam listened to Hawley reveal just how much of an impact that Adam had upon himself, more tears rolled freely down Adam's face, and onto the green fabric of his t-shirt. He had never realized how much his actions impacted other people. He would have never realized it, until this very moment. Staring at a dying boy, his dying friend, and realizing that if it hadn't been for him, this situation might have not even happened.

staring at the loss
looking for the cause
and never really sure
nothing but a hole
to live without a soul
and nothing to be learned

And finally, just as Adam thought that for a second, he might be okay, a choking spasm racked through the broken body of Hawley Faust. And that intense stare that had peered at Adam from behind his wire-rimmed glasses became dull and glazed over. Adam watched with a curious awe as Hawley's hand slipped off of his shoulder and landed with a thud on the ground.

Adam kept on staring at Hawley, looking at the boy's determined look on his face.

i can tell you why
people go insane
i can show you how
you could do the same
i can tell you why
the end will never come
i can tell you on
the shadow on the sun

It took Adam Dodd three minutes to actually realize that Hawley had died. In those three minutes, he just kept staring at the freckled face of the red-head, looking into the eyes of a dead man, trying to read as to what Hawley might have been thinking. Of course, Hawley thought nothing at all. As Adam realized this, he sat back slowly, as if he were trying to back away from a dangerous animal. Rather, the fact that another of his friends had just died was beginning to set in.

shapes of every size
move behind my eyes
doors inside my head
bolted from within
every drop of flame
lights a candle in
memory of the one
who lived inside my skin

Tears freely flowed down Adam's face, but it was almost as if the boy didn't realize that he was crying. In fact, he moved so that he was right next to the body, and did a very strange thing. He reached into the pocket of Hawley's pants, and rummaged around inside. Quickly, he pulled out Hawley's wallet, and began to look through it. Anyone who was looking at the time would likely have been confused as to what Adam was doing. Even as he extracted a photograph from Hawley's wallet, his purpose was not clear. It was not clear until Adam broke the silence that had filled the River, speaking at Hawley's corpse, as if the dead boy could hear him.

"Hawley...you hear me, man? I'm going to get out of here. Yeah, that's, that's a fucking given. And you know what, buddy? You know what I'm going to do when I get out of here...? I'm going to go looking, my friend. I'm going to go looking for a few things. First thing, I'm going to look for Mr. Danya. And I'm going to kill him. I'm going to cut his fucking throat and watch him slowly bleed into a pool on the ground, and watch as his fucking life ends before his eyes. And before he dies, I'm going to tell him that he got a fucking 'Hawley special'. Yeah, you hear that? Fucking right, buddy. And then..."

Adam blinked back a tear from his right eye.

"...and then, I'm going to find HER." He stabbed his finger at the picture of the red-haired woman. "I'm going to find her, and I'm going to tell her everything that you told me. I'm going to tell her exactly what we talked about on that dirt path, buddy. I remember the whole conversation. I'mna do that for you, Hawley. I fucking PROMISE you that I will do that for you. Goddamnit..."

At this point, Adam knew that he was talking to a dead body. Stuffing the picture in his pocket, he looked at Hawley as the tears ran down his face.

i can tell you why
people go insane
i can show you how
you could do the same
i can tell you why
the end will never come
i can tell you on
the shadow on the sun

As he pulled himself to his feet, Adam shut his eyes for a moment, and sighed into the wind. Turning to look at Madelaine, his eyes red from the tears, he looked at her with a face that was as frighteningly calm as it had ever been. He looked at her, and blinked his eyes a few times. It was such an utter betrayal for Madelaine. If she hadn't seen his eyes, she would have thought him to be completely in control.

"Madelaine, we have to get out of here. We have to go, now. Get Amanda, get David, and tell them we're leaving. It's just four of us now, because I think Marcus is dead too. We're going to head in the direction of the warehouse, because if we're going to even think about getting the fuck out of here, we're going to need supplies, and the warehouse seems as good a place as any to start. If it turns out that we can't get out of here, then we shift plans. We're going to fuck Danya up the ass so hard that he bleeds out of his fucking mouth, you understand?"

Adam sighed again, but the sorrow in his sigh was evident.

"And yeah, I know that they can hear me, and that's fine. I hope they're listening. Because goddamn you, Danya, you're going to pay for what you've done. You're going to pay for Andrew Lipson, and now you're going to pay for Hawley Faust. I hope they are listening, Madelaine, because I want them to know that I'm coming for them. I'll get out, one way or another, and when I do, I won't rest until they're all dead. All of them."

shadow on the sun
shadow on the sun
shadow on the sun
shadow on the sun
shadow on the sun
shadow on the sun
shadow on the sun
sun
sun
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

LadyMakaze†

Post by LadyMakaze† »

It all happened too quickly, yet the moments that followed Madelaine's words seemed to last an eternity. All she could do was stare silently at Hawley, trembling inside as she watched him dying. The words that reached her took too long to register in her mind, and so she was unable to reply out loud.

Don't say it... These were the words that never came. Only a dying person would say such things. You're not supposed to say it. You're not supposed to die. Promise or no, you still have to survive! I don't care about any promise. We're going to escape and you're coming with us.

You have to...

But all along, she was clinging to a lost conviction that seemed to fall apart beyond her reach. There was nothing that could be done to alter the inevitable. She couldn't do anything. She couldn't even reply.

But she didn't have to. It was Adam who said everything, it was he who had said everything she would have, just as she had meant it, but with much better wording. It was Adam who seemed to get through to the now dying Hawley, and even Madelaine herself.

Adam is right... Once again, her thoughts remained closed inside. You've already proven yourself to us. You stayed with us, looked after us, no matter what happened. If it weren't for you...some of us might not even be here. I might not be here. And because you helped us...

Before she knew it, Hawley had finally fallen closing his eyes for the last time. It all happened too quickly, yet that moment seemed to last an eternity. In Madelaine's mind, there was a part of her that finally realized what had happened. Yet there was another part of her...that simply refused, more than anything, to believe it.

That part of her inside was screaming now.

This wasn't supposed to happen, yet it happened anyway. This game just rips away everything from us. Tearing everything apart, and taking away anything it can get ahold of

With her mind clouded by the strain of it all, she almost didn't notice Adam speaking to her in an even, level voice, as though absolutely nothing had happened. The way he said it...so calm and utterly under control of himself...it was almost terrifying. But now...all she could think about was...

This is a person who looked after a few of us. No, he looked after everyone in our group. He was struggling inside, but nevertheless he stayed with us... more than anything, if nothing else, a friend.

And now, just like Nanami...

She nodded slightly, though in truth she had barely heard Adam. Stumbling slightly, she wandered towards Amanda and David, looking as though lost in a daze. Just a moment ago she had witnessed the death of someone she had befriended. Someone who had looked after her and Amanda, treated their wounds, took care of them. Even promised to help them survive.

Their time was limited. His had just come to an end.

Just like Nanami. Just like Nanami, damn it! Everyone here has just lost a friend. I've lost him. I've lost a friend. They've taken him away from us! Just like Nanami!

Without even knowing if they were close enough to near, she said aloud, "...We're going... Adam says...the warehouse...it will be good for us." The calmness of her own voice, though it faltered in several places, terrified her even more than Adam's voice had done.

No more. I don't want to have to deal with this, you hear?! How many more friends do I have to lose before my time comes? Don't let me lose someone else...

"Hawley is...." She couldn't even say it. "...Let's just get out of here...before....before something else happens..."

What will happen to us now? How many of us will survive this? Will any of us even survive at all? I don't want to survive...but I don't want to lose another friend.

She clasped the side of her temples suddenly, as a splitting headache filled her head. Stumbling slightly, she struggled to clear out her thoughts of desperation. Now, she only wished for everything to end. She had borne enough, tried and tested beyond her limit, she just wanted it all to simply end.

Someone let it be over. God, Devil, I don't care!
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

As Madelaine stepped in and interrupted the conversation between her and David, Amanda couldn't help but notice that there was something in Madelaine's eyes that...something that Amanda couldn't place. It seemed to be a hurt, a sorrow that hadn't been there before. And of course, as she choked out a sentence that she didn't, she couldn't finish, something about Hawley, Amanda's eyes went wide. She knew. Hawley had seemed as if he were beginning to tire, but Amanda wouldn't have expected...

...there's no way, he can't be dead...

Pulling herself to her feet, Amanda stepped past David and Madelaine, into the clearing that Hawley and Adam had previously been talking in. As she stepped into the clearing, she saw Adam, moving as if he were ninety years old, slowly leaning over and shutting Hawley's eyes with his hands. That was something that she had seen Adam do before, with Nanami, and even with Blaine, whom he had been the one responsible for killing. And if he were doing that, that only meant that...

...Hawley died...

As her eyes began to well up with tears, so many different thoughts went through her mind as she watched Adam go through Hawley's pack, the pain evident in his eyes as he scrounged up the supplies that he'd been carrying around with him. Medical supplies were important, but Adam hardly knew how to use them. Regardless, as she watched Adam put the bottles into his own pack with a sense of sorrow, she couldn't help but want to run over and comfort him.

Problem was, she needed comfort herself. Hawley had been such a powerful ally, if not in physical strength, but in knowledge, and in moral support. He was a nice guy, and Amanda wished that he didn't have to die.

That's so child-like of me. Is that what this game is doing to me? Putting me back a few years? Jesus. I wish he didn't have to die, but here, and now...we're likely all going to die. Unless...unless we can escape.

Amanda watched still, tears rolling down her cheeks, as Adam reached into Hawley's pocket and pulled out the other boy's wallet. As he sorrowfully looked through it, he audibly sighed and removed what looked to be a student card. Quizzically, she watched as Adam opened his own wallet and put the card inside of it. He then replaced the wallet in Hawley's jeans, and moved to the other pocket. Amanda's eyes widened when Adam removed Hawley's pistol from his jeans, and grew concerned as Adam smirked as he looked at the pistol, checking it. As he confirmed the fact that it was loaded, Adam patted both pockets, frowning, and finally putting the gun in a pocket that was a little lower on the leg of his jeans, one that was supposed to be intended for paintbrushes and the like. Now, it became a pistol-holder.

I wonder just how many guns Adam has...

Amanda herself had a shotgun to her name, but in a firefight, she wasn't sure how good she'd be, she didn't even know if she'd be able to bring herself to pull the trigger. Sighing, her eyes reverted back to Adam. She watched him rummage through Hawley's pack and pull out a few extra bottles of water, spare ammunition, and what appeared to be a notebook, thick but with a look to it that practically screamed 'journal'. As as he finished filling his pack with Hawley's items, he picked up one of Hawley's spare shirts; a black t-shirt, and, in a gesture that made Amanda break into tears, folded it up into a fairly tight square, and placed in under the head of the late Hawley Faust.

Even at his worst moment, Adam tries to make everyone comfortable, tries to...

It was at that moment that Amanda realized how much of an impact that Hawley's death was likely having on her boyfriend. Adam had been close to Hawley since the game started, and seemed to have formed a genuine friendship with the boy. Now that he was gone, Adam probably felt very, very alone.

Amanda was shaken out of her thoughts as Adam approached her, and looked her straight in the eyes. Amanda was crying visibly, and what upset her more was the look of utter despair in Adam's eyes, the look of hurt...and yet, his voice was as calm as could possibly be, as he placed his hand on Amanda's shoulder.

"It's okay, Amanda. I don't think he suffered at the very end. Besides, Hawley asked me for one last favour before he died, and you know me and favours. I've practically got to do them. So you know what that favour was?"

Amanda shook her head, wiping her face as she sniffled a little.

"He asked me to get off this godforsaken island. He asked me to escape. So that is EXACTLY what the four of us are going to do. I promise. I promise him, and I promise you the same."

Adam smiled a weak smile, and Amanda pulled him in close, hugging him tightly. As she did, she felt a strange sense of comfort that she hadn't felt in a long, long time.

God, I hope that he can really do what he says that he can...but if anyone can do it...it's Adam...
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

LadyMakaze†

Post by LadyMakaze† »

It took a while before the headache finally cleared, and the tides of desperation, anger, and grief that raged inside her finally ceased, fading into low spirits. All that she could feel now was weariness, and a gaping, empty space inside her that seemed to consume her from the inside. Her hands slowly lowered themselves, dropping helplessly at her sides, almost resignedly.

Her back was turned to the others, though she could still hear words coming from Amanda and Adam behind her. She only half listened, her face stone-cold, bland of all emotion, yet taut with some form of strain.

For a while, she remembered all she had said to Hawley, about how giving up was equilivent to offering oneself as prey to this nightmarish game. All of that talk about how everyone should hold onto all that they have, no matter how insignificant it could be... never giving it up....

And now, all Madelaine felt like doing was giving up everything. But what was there to give up, when she had lost so much?

Her unseen face contorted slightly with pain. She was being a hypocrite...giving up like this. But what else could she do? Wouldn't it be wonderful to just hide away from the rest of the world, deluding yourself into thinking that all would be well, all would be alright. Someone would rescue you. Someone would end this nightmare.

Or better yet, wouldn't it be wonderful if all of this really WAS a nightmare, just a figment of some darker part of the human mind. No matter how real it seemed was all illusory. And she would one day wake up from it.

Yes, that would be wonderful...

But even as the thought ran through her mind, she realized that she was only deluding herself. Upon turning away from the fallen Hawley, she now found herself facing Nanami's corpse, once her treasured friend, now pale and forever still. Even as she looked away, the lifeless form of Blaine Eno met her eyes, one who had blindly tried to murder her.

She kept looking away, trying to find some sight of peace, but she kept catching glimpses of Marcus lying against the ground...and Hawley again... Desperate, she shut her eyes, and instantly she was met with hurtling images...the death of Andrew Klock, the first she had ever witnessed. Then there was River, making off towards the forest like a prisoner running for freedom. Other images came to mind...charred corpses in a land of ruin...a bladed axe striking flesh again and again... more corpses, staring lifelessly into nowhere....

....As it turned out, delusion was no longer a possibility. This was her reality now. The rotting corpses, the weapons, the scent of blood, the loss of friends, all of it. All of it was real. There was no room for delusions...

Silently, she looked towards Nanami, once her best friend...only remembering just then that the only bond that held them together was illusory. In the end, it betrayed them both...it had made Madelaine herself a killer and sent Nanami to her death. Some friendship... though Madelaine could not help but wonder if there was anything real about it at all. Even the smallest, most unsignificant thing...more than anything, she wanted to know if at least some part of their friendship was geniune.

With a sigh, she gave up, and turned towards Adam and Amanda...but her eyes met Hawley's fallen form instead. It was then that she remembered how he had vowed to help them escape, an undelivered promise...but what did it matter as to whether or not that promise was delivered? The promise he made with Adam, Amanda, and Madelaine herself formed the bond that held their group together, kept them going, gave all of them hope...

Was it possible to call this...true friendship?

Looking at Amanda and Adam now, it was then that Madelaine realized that she, herself had some promises to keep.

No matter what, I'll stick with you. No matter what.

Those words...delivered to someone she barely knew. It was part of the bond that she and Amanda, once strangers, now shared.

The realization struck her dully, and for a moment, she stared silently in the wake of this realization.

A soft chuckle began to escape her lips, though it barely meant anything.

Madelaine turned and wandered over to where her tire iron and pistol lay, picking them up in turn and glancing at Nanami as she did so.

What a fool I've been... she thought to herself. ...to let the death of my best friend consume me like this...and because of that...

She turned around now, walking towards Adam and Amanda after placing the weapons in her pocket. She remembered Adam's promise to Madelaine and Amanda to get them off the island, not unlike the one Hawley had made to them shortly after their first meeting. A promise like that seemed like something that only a close friend would make. But had Nanami ever made a promise to her life that? What's more...the people she was with now....they were little more than complete strangers. Yet the bond they shared seemed unbreakable.

Because of that...after watching my best friend die, I completely forgot who my true friends were.

Her eyes once again met Hawley's corpse, lying peacefully with his eyes now closed. A twinge of something that felt almost like guilt stung her heart.

And to think that it took something like this...to finally remind me. Sorry, Hawley. I'm sorry everyone. I was being selfish. I won't let anything like this happen again. That's my promise to you guys.

She approached her friends now. Her expression was calm and somewhat solemn, though there was something of a light smile that played along her face. Whether it was one of hope or simply an expression of weariness, Madelaine couldn't even tell.

"We can still get off this island, right? There's still hope for us. And it'll be together this time," she told them quietly. "So let's just go...together...okay?"

Return to “The River”