"Though we may not survive it..."

A simple river which offers so much, such as a place to bath, a food source, and a fresh water source. Be careful... someone could easily sneak up on you while you are bathing, or gathering food and water.
OnceForgotten†

Post by OnceForgotten† »

Standing behind everyone, Marcus had been silently retreating from the group since Nanami died.

Its my fault. I could have stopped it, if I would have acted faster, I could have...

He looked at Nanamis corpse again, bloodied and still holding the pistol in her hand. His face grew an ashy pale color, and he turned around quickly.

So much deception, I dont know...I dont know who I can trust...That was Madeleine's best friend...I dont even HAVE a best friend...

Marcus needed to sit down. Everything was spinning, the world was fucked up, everything was fucked up. There was no hope. They were not going to get away.

Unless I win.

No, no no, dont even think about it!, these are your friends, they just healed you, you would probobly be dead without them!.

Marcus was shaking. He could not believe the thought that just popped into his head. He stood up again, and, facing the tree, promptly threw up everywhere.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler OnceForgotten. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Adam Dodd still stood, watching the group - his group exude themselves from their collective stupor. It had seemed like a long time since they had all came onto this island, a long time since their lives had basically begun to end, as Danya would have it. And for a good many of them, their lives had ended. People had died. Adam didn't even know how many. It seemed like he'd stumbled upon so many bodies, and the announcements didn't help. Names of people he knew, and he realized he'd never see them again.

Glancing down at himself, he couldn't help but grin a little. He'd lost his Leafs jersey awhile ago, and as such, he only had his jeans and his green Audioslave shirt. The shirt was - surprisingly, intact, as were his jeans, which had ripped a little at the very bottom, nearto his shoes. His black Nikes were stained with dirt, and the bottom of his pants was covered in dirt from running with wet jeans - from his swim back at the Eastern Shore. He looked pretty normal, at least, his clothes did. He had an ugly gash on his arm that was sewn shut with pink fiber, and his left arm was covered in his own blood from that very gash. Both of his hands, from the tip of his fingers to just under his elbows were also covered in blood - that of Nanami. He could imagine his face probably had some form of dirt on it, and he could feel that his face was definitely covered in a few days worth of beard growth. He probably looked a little dirty right now - then again, he couldn't look any worse than any of his comrades - most, if not all, were injured somehow, and most of them had some form of blood on their bodies.

But not all of them have blood on their consciences...

He grimaced. No, not all of them had blood on their consciences, but a lot of them did...and many had it worse off than he did. Case in point - Madelaine. Madelaine had just shot and killed her best friend, after the other girl had basically shot her in the back. Sure, he'd lost his best friend, but he hadn't killed Lipson. He'd found his body and been upset, but he hadn't been responsible for Andrew's death. And sure, he'd killed someone, but one could argue that if he hadn't, Amanda would have died. And as such, he saved a life. That would never justify itself to Adam, and while Madelaine had basically done the exact same thing, she would likely never be able to justify it to herself, either.

And then, Hawley...Hawley had killed four people. Adam had nothing on Hawley. Two of his four kills had been self-defense, one had been an accident, but there was no denying that Hawley Faust had killed someone in cold blood. Something inside of Hawley had changed since that first meeting that him and Alan had with him, and he seemed...different. Friendlier. Less...hateful at the world. Perhaps that was the realization that he had killed someone sitting in. Perhaps it was remorse. Adam didn't know. He didn't see into Hawley's mind, the boy was wound tighter than a fishing line, and very rarely did he seem to let people in. Adam had seen glimpses of that, but he had a feeling there was a lot more to Hawley than he had yet let on - and he figured that he had probably let on a lot more to Adam than to anyone else.

David also, from what he understood, had a death on his conscience. Adam wasn't sure how it was affecting the stoic baseball player, but he figured that sooner or later, David would likely expode in some burst of emotion. People like him didn't keep their feelings in all the time - they couldn't, and Adam just hoped that David didn't collapse inwards at a crucial moment in time. He didn't know how the other boy would deal with such a trauma.

Adam couldn't help but remember back to the last day of the summer before Grade 9, and couldn't help but think about how carefree they'd all been. Before Danya, before the killing, before Lipson's accident. Before girls became series issues, before his move to the US, before his brother's freak-out...before everything.

~~~

"Yo, guy...I don't want to fuckin' goto high school. Like, seriously..." Andrew Lipson walked ahead of his three friends a little, as the four youths traipsed down the dark street. His brown hair was hidden under his red baseball cap, and his eyes seemed to echo his statement. Lipson purely was regetting the passage of time, and his friends all knew it. A little behind him, his good friend Adam Dodd grinned, and nodded. Adam looked older than Andrew, due to the beginnings of facial hair on his relatively pale face, but as well due to his eyes, which had a look of maturity about them. His red hair was all over, as if Adam had just rolled out of bed.

"Yeah, we all know that, Andrew...but think of it this way. High school's something new, it's something that we can experience, you know? You've got to look forward to it, dude. Meeting new people and shit."

Little did I know that a week later, my dad's company would shift my family and Andrew's family to the United States, and we'd both have to move. How fucked up was that? To leave our two other close friends behind? I can't help but wonder how they're even doing...

Beside Adam stood a lanky, but tall boy, with big ears that made him look fairly goofy, and a constant mischevious look on his face. Andrew Ponikarovsky, 'Pants' to his friends, was the third boy in the group that had stuck together through thick and through thin. They had braved elementary school together, and the three were now going to attempt to go through high school. Pants was the practical joker of the group - the natural comedian, the one who always made everybody laugh. He was the atypical 'talker' in class, the one whom the teachers always sent out in the hall for talking too much. Pants listened to Adam's words, and couldn't help adding in his own little bit.

"And come on, Lipson. Even you must want to get shut down by someone new, right?"

Lipson glanced over his shoulder. "Yeah, that's right Ponikarovsky, your mother just isn't doing it for me anymore."

Adam couldn't help but let out a laugh, and was joined by the fourth member of their little group. The fourth boy, who up until this point had been holding a Coke and drinking out of it for most of the conversation, burst out laughing and spit pop all over the sidewalk, causing both Andrews to also burst out laughing. The other boy, Adam Amato, grinned and burst out laughing again himself, the sounds of the four youths laughing throughout the night bouncing off of the empty street. The other Adam was about the same height as Lipson, and seemed to be a little more built. Wearing a black cap, Adam, or 'Dangles' as he was called from time to time, was the serious one of the group, who still always laughed at pretty much any joke his friends told. Of course, in that particular group, that didn't really mean much. Adam had attained his name through his play in his hockey league. His stickhandling was second to none, and he enjoyed 'Dangling' through the opposing team like it were nothing at all - thus the nickname.

Pants and Amato...two guys who I haven't seen much of at all in the past year. Talked with them the odd time on MSN, and once when I went back to Canada for a visit, but really...it's sad that I couldn't even manage to keep touch with two of my best friends. And the lucky ones that they are...they managed to avoid this hellhole. They managed to stay alive. Out of our group...out of our old group of four...well, it's dwindled down to three, and who knows...perhaps by the end of this it'll be down to two. 'The A-Team' as we called it. God, we were inseperable that summer...it's a damn shame things worked out as they did...

"So where d'you guys see yourself in five years? I mean...in five years, we're done high school, and picking universities and shit. I mean...it doesn't seem like it's all that far away, but it is...kinda scary." Adam feigned shuddering as he shrugged his shoulders, as Amato tossed his pop bottle into a nearby garbage can.

"To be honest, Dodd...I see myself probably at the same spot - having not a CLUE what I'm doing with my life!" Amato threw up his arms and shrugged.

"Yo, guy...I bet we're all gonna be sitting in some bar or something, just tossing back a few brews. Just chilling, you know? It's gonna be good times, trust me." Lipson adjusted his cap as the three approached a house.

"Lipson, you do remember that we're all a year younger than you, right? You're going to be 19 before any of us. We all turn nineteen in our first year of university. So you're going to be drinking by yourself..." Pants chuckled a little as he pulled out the keys to his house, and unlocked the door. The four had just gotten back from a trip to the variety store, complete with pop, cheese doodles, slushies, and all kinds of junk food. They were going to watch SummerSlam, the WWE pay-per-view, as an 'end of summer' kind of gathering.

"Nah, Pants! Your mom'll be keeping me company!"

Both Adams rolled their eyes at the same time as they stepped inside.

"Always with the mother jokes, Lipson. Tell me, you ever gonna go out and get yourself a REAL woman?" Amato laughed and pulled off his shoes as Pants shot Lipson a glaring look.

Dodd interjected before Lipson could offer up a reply.

"And dude, I swear, you make one more mother joke and we're dumping you in Ponikarovsky's pool."

Andrew looked at the other three and held his finger to his mouth, shushing them. Apparently it seemed that Andrew's mother was asleep - she'd been sick in bed for the past few days, and Andrew didn't want to wake her up. As the four crept through the hallway and traipsed down the staircase into the basement, they were hit with the cool blast of central air.

Central Airconditioning. What Jason Lee calls an ungodly pleasure in Dogma, and undoubtedly one of the best inventions known to mankind. What a fucking shame that we can't have central air on this cesspool of an island. Who knew it'd be the last time the four of us would be together in the same place. It was my big group of friends, my three buddies who I would have done anything for. Now we're all split up. One is dead, the other two are in Canada without a clue, and I'm here...stuck...in a deadly game. How our paths swerved.

Later on, after the PPV, the four were sitting in Andrew's basement, just watching TV, the sports highlights, and talking. Andrew was in the midst of saying something about his hopes for the future...

"...so, I think that maybe after all that, I'll try and join as many clubs as I can...seems like the thing to do, really."

Amato nodded, shrugging a little. "Well, yeah, but do you really think you'll have so much time for all of that shit? You're going to have a lot on your plate, Ponikarovsky. What about you, Dodd? You got any ideas as to where you're going to end up?"

Adam laughed at the question. "Shit, man. DIdn't we already go through this earlier on? I don't really know where I'll end up. Way I figure, I'm gonna be alive somewhere, just not really knowing what the hell I'm doing. Probably mooching off of Lipson or something. I'll be alive, I know that much."

And how about that. Alive. Well, we thought as much, and how ironic - Lipson's dead already and likely, soon I'll be ending up the same way. Fucking Danya.

"Yeah, but Dodd, come on...that's just a given. I mean, I don't see you getting sick and just croaking in the near future." Lipson grinned. Pants, though, had a serious look on his face and shook his head.

"You don't know, though. You never know what's going to come your way. If it's going to be a big heavy truck, cancer, or a big ol' flying penis. You never know what's going to come and strike you down. That's what life is, Lipson. It's so unpredictable that you never know what's going on, what'll come next. You could be standing there and one day...just get struck by lightning. You'd never have known why, all that you'd know is that you did. Same thing, you could be driving along somewhere and get smacked by a train. Why? You'd never know. Things just happen. And like...you could be sitting on your couch and then this big penis just comes out of nowhere and smacks you in the cheek. Why? You'll never know. You won't know who let that guy into your house, and likely when he's done with you, you'll probably never know. It's just how life is. We don't know where we'll be sitting in weeks...days...even minutes from now."

Adam looked at his friend and shook his head. "Pants, you had me up until that whole penis thing. But really...you're pretty much right with that. Shit is just so unpredictable, you know? Anything can happen at any time, and you've just got to be ready for the possibility that things may not go as you wanted them to. You just need to adapt, and go with the flow."

Lipson shrugged. "Wow, who turned on the philosophy all of a sudden? Shit, bro...I need some more chips."

The night was just all fun and games from there. Yet...I'll never forget Andrew's words. You never know what's going to come your way. Yeah, I never figured that a plane full of terrorists would come my way. And I guess I'm just doing my best to try and ensure that we all get out of here in one piece. I just don't know how much my best is going to be though...

~~~

Adam shook his head from all of the reminiscing and looked around the area. It seemed as if Marcus was throwing up near to a tree. The poor guy's skin had turned an ugly shade of greyish brown, and it seemed as though Marcus' condition might be worsening by the second. Striding over to where the boy was vomiting what little lunch he had in his stomach all over the trees, Adam patted him on the back gently a few times.

"Hey there, buddy. You holding on okay?"

~~~

Across the way, Amanda Jones was a little confused herself. She had been sitting with Madelaine, who appeared to be rather comatose, but she could have SWORN that she just saw her smirk a little. Madelaine had also begun to squeeze her hand, which Amanda figured could be one of two things. Either she's having some sort of a seizure, or she can hear me and she can't respond for whatever reason. I'd really love to pick the latter.

Keeping ahold of Madelaine's hand, Amanda patted her friend on the shoulder with her other hand. It seemed like the only course of action, to try and comfort the upset girl. As she did so, she wondered if by talking to her, she could perhaps talk her out of this hole she was in.

"Madelaine...I know you can hear me...at least, I hope so. You've got to come out of this. You know why? Because I need you here. You helped me find Adam. Really, you did. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you, at all. And now that you're in need, I have the need to help you out. I really consider you a friend. I really do. I wish that we had talked in school, because I think we would have gotten along so well. Maybe if we had, things might have been different. But things happened the way they did, so maybe it happened for a reason. But Madelaine...you can't blame yourself for what happened. You saved my life. It seems to be a common trend lately. Adam did it, and you did it. I don't know if I can ever repay you for what you did, but I hope that you just know how grateful that I am that you did what you did. I want you to know that for as long as I'm alive, for as long as I'm still breathing, I'll be here for you, okay? No matter what. You've got me by your side for however long it takes."

Amanda sighed. It didn't seem like it was doing any good.

"Come on, Madelaine...come out of it...please..."
[+] V7

B027 - Morgan Dragosavich: "Now come on, you have a flight to catch."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - P7 - M1 - PPr1 - PPr2 - T1 - T2 - T3

B042 - Connor Lorenzen: "You— you're gonna have to live with this for— for a long time. A long time, and I hope you do, brother. Really."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - Pr1 - PoPr1 - T1

B005 - Claudeson Bademosi: "May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 -M1 - VPS - T1

B062 - Jeff Greene: "Wait a minute, you're not Palom—"
V7: 9 - 10 - 11

G042 - Ariana Moretti: "You were always here."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - M3 - T1 - T2 - T3
[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

1: The Essay; June 2, 2015
2: The Pizza; June 6, 2015
3: The Leak; June 7, 2015
4: The Safe; June 4, 2018
5: The Call; September 19, 2015

6: Coda
7: The Secret; June 4, 2018
8: ???; June 9, 2018
9: ???; June 10, 2018
10: ???; June 10, 2018
11: ???; September 13, 2018

Ross Miller

1: Shatterday; June 9, 2018
2: I Wait on You Inside the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea; July 13, 2018 - ongoing

3: ???
4: ???
5: ???

Pregame: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - M1 - M2 - SP - Snapchat

Carl Fredericks/Steven Lorenzen: The Needs of the Many

V6 (2015)
Mrs. Ritch: Sweet Billy
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

V3: B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
V1/3: B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
V1: B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
V1: B092 - Eddie Serjeantson: Fully in charge, but not much of an arborist.
V2: B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
V1: G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
V3: B099 - John Sheppard: Went out with a bang.
V3: B122 - Ryan Atwell: Couldn't help but write a "Dear John" letter.
LadyMakaze†

Post by LadyMakaze† »

For a while, the focus of Madelaine's attention drifted to and fro between real life and the world of her inner musings. It was strange, being someone who had valued her own self-control and awareness of the world most of all. But after all that she had seen, after all that had happened to her, the real world was hardly a place she wanted to live in right now. Still...some part of her struggled to keep ahold of her connection with reality around her. As painful as living with that reality may be, it may as well be the only reality.

Keeping this in mind, she decided to occupy herself by quietly observing the redhead who was now sorting through one of the kits he had brought back to her. She looked at him with a mildly curious expression on her face as though he was a complete stranger, looking as though she barely recognized him. In truth, this was only because she felt distant from him now, distant from just about everyone in the group in fact. It was strange...she had felt so close to the group only minutes before. Now she felt as though she was completely cut off from them, as though they no longer shared anything. Besides the fact that they were all in a living Hell right now, of course.

Amanda's words caught her attention now, though it took a while for them to register completely in her mind. Still she listened, staring directly into Amanda's eyes right now with an intent expression on her face. Once again, her words went through to Madelaine.

"I really consider you a friend. I really do. I wish that we had talked in school, because I think we would have gotten along so well. Maybe if we had, things might have been different. But things happened the way they did, so maybe it happened for a reason."

So you wonder that too, huh? Madelaine thought to herself, knowing unhappily that she would be unable to say this out loud. It seemed a wonderful blessing before, just to have a normal conversation in such an extreme situation, just to be able to talk as friends. She had realized this, again and again, even before losing her ability to speak. And now...

Well...along with all else, it was taken away from her. Still, she struggled to listen to Amanda, despite the one-sidedness of their conversation.

"But Madelaine...you can't blame yourself for what happened. You saved my life. It seems to be a common trend lately. Adam did it, and you did it. I don't know if I can ever repay you for what you did, but I hope that you just know how grateful that I am that you did what you did."

At this, Madelaine felt her mood lighten a bit yet again, though it quickly sank as she remembered how exactly she had saved Amanda's life. Nanami had threatened to kill Amanda, and that was what had set Madelaine off. By killing Nanami, she was able to save Amanda's life. It was like giving up one friend for the sake of another. That was all.

Her spirits sank lower as Madelaine began to wonder: how might things have turned out had the roles been switched? What if Amanda had been the one about to shoot Nanami? Madelaine might have killed her instead. What if David had threatened to shoot Nanami, though this time with the intent to kill her? What if at some point before Nanami even came, Hawley had decided to turn against them for good, and ended up targetting Amanda first?

Who else can I blame? she thought in reply to Amanda's words. Not Nanami. And not you, certainly. Only myself.

And now, listening to Amanda...Madelaine wondered even further: if the roles really had been switched....if Amanda had been the one killed, would Nanami have said the same thing?

It was then that Madelaine remembered that Nanami hated her since they first became friends.

To be reminded of that was almost enough to send her retreating once again into her own world. She now ignored Amanda for a while, once again looking lost and hurt. Her eyes fell downcast again as she kept her other hand on her lap, remaining silent for all this time. Wouldn't everything be so much better if she could just speak out what exactly was on her mind...

Something I was always good at, she thought with a bit of humour, remembering her various outbursts throughout her stay on this island. But I guess...none of that now. All it does is hurt when I try to speak up, so it'll probably do no good in any case.

But being forced to keep silent like this probably hurt just as much, if not even more.

Still, a part of her truly appreciated Amanda's effort to help her, though now she would never be able to express that gratitude in words.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler LadyMakaze. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
riserugu†

Post by riserugu† »

His vision lifted up from the medical kit at the sounds that where coming from Marcus, frowning a little he returned to the kit pulling out everything that he figured he would need… not like too much remained in the kit itself. Popping off the top of one of the few antibacterials that hadn’t used on Marcus, he ripped away at one of the bandages, coating it somewhat in the stuff.

Glancing between the two girls he was near, he looked toward Amanda as she spoke once finished glancing toward Madelaine who seemed to have little, or no emotions running through her at the moment besides sadness. Watching Madelaine once again return to looking at the ground, Hawley sighed somewhat lifting his hand out and first patting the lightly soaked cloth against the wound trying to both get rid of the blood and clean it.

“Don’t mind the sting, this stuff has more of a… un, kick to it, for lack of a better usage of my vocabulary than the antibacterial did.” He said lightly, glancing at Amanda somewhat. He couldn’t say anything to Madelaine, he didn’t know anything about friendship or what it’s like to be a friend before coming here… such an oddity that was.

Odd that right when they enter a game where the point of it is too destroy enemies and friends alike, Hawley went in feeling great, knowing that all he had was enemies. But now he found himself in this small group, all in thanks to him having joined Alan and Adam back then.

But what if he hadn’t had joined them and killed them like he had done Helena instead – shaking his head at the thought, he returned his attention to the wound along the girl’s cheek. Still trying to brush all the blood away, and clean the wound.

‘What I would have been if I had killed Alan and Adam back at the clinic – I almost turned into that person not that long ago… I can’t let my past bother me anymore.’
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler riserugu. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Amanda Jones looked around hesitantly at the rest of her group, as Hawley mumbled something about the medicine, half to Madelaine, half to Amanda - and half to himself.

Wow, that's so bright of you. How can you have three halves? Three halves is one and a half. Stupid girl...

But does it even really matter that much?

Funny, how that worked. She was sitting here in a certain-death situation, and still she was chastising herself for not making sense - in her own mind? Unbelievable. Yet she couldn't help but admit that the situation was looking more and more hopeless as the hours passed by. It didn't seem like any rescue mission would be attempted, any soldiers would come dropping in, any hackers would break the mainframe and remove these hateful collars. No, it seemed like they might actually be stuck here, the only way out through one of three methods.

Those methods, of course, being the highly improbably escape, a greater but slightly less possibility of winning, and the very good chance of death lurking around the corner. Death. Hehe. If Death were working this little 'event', he'd sure be busy on the island. Or was death a girl? 'She' could be a woman, Amanda figured. There wasn't anything that said death HAD to be a man. If Madelaine had been okay, she probably would have been able to have a light-hearted discussion about it. Unfortunately...Madelaine wasn't speaking right now.

She couldn't help but look over the area and quickly assess the group's chances for survival. It was something she did to keep herself calm in tense situations - used logic to look at situations. Sure, she was more in tuned with the arts, but she was a logical thinker, even though maths and sciences had never appealed to her.

Sad thing was - as much as he looked at it, she figured the group's overall chance of survival to be quite low. Sure, there were smart people surrounding her, like Adam had said in his diatrabe, but the smart ones didn't always survive. Sometimes it was just whomever was the luckiest at any given time, sometimes it would be the person who had the best instincts...any combination of things could have an affect on it. She shuddered involuntarily at the thought that popped into her mind next - people on the outside were likely doing the very same thing she was about to do: assess the chances of survival for each person.

The sick thing is, they were likely doing it so that they could bet on them.

Like horses at a racetrack, men were likely sitting around a table putting sums of money on their lives. How sickening.

Looking around, she couldn't help but wonder who would be the favoured member of their group. Assuming it'd probably go based on game performance, she guessed that Hawley might be pretty far up there. The problem that she saw there was that Hawley - whether he realized it or not, was beginning to slow down a little. Amanda had noticed that he was moving a lot slower than he ever had before, be it the wounds on his body or the lack of sleep they'd all had, Hawley didn't seem to be in the best condition. He certainly knew his way around a first aid kid, and had been very valuable as of late. However, Amanda knew that for the betters, all of those good things for them would be reasons to NOT wager on Hawley - as sticking in groups wasn't the brightest idea, at least to the suits. They'd likely want to bet on someone who was an individual, who wouldn't just stick within a group. Someone who had killed before.

Which led her gaze to David. Her self-assigned protector. David had shot Andrew Klock back when she had first run into him, and the two of them, plus Madelaine, soon enough, had basically stayed together from the get-go. Shooting Klock hadn't seemed to have much effect on him, for David seemed to be a very private person, and up until very recently, hadn't really shown all that much in the emotions department. Someone like him would be a person that the betting public would likely put good odds on. However...it was also very likely that because of his devotion to protecting Amanda, it would be seen as a large negative towards his survival in the game. Privately, Amanda wondered how long it would be before David actually snapped. She had seen signs of strain at times, and she figured him to be losing his icy demeanour. All she hoped was that he didn't lose it when they needed him most. So if not David, then whom?

That led her to Adam. Adam, who at this point, was standing near the vomiting Marcus Roddy, seemingly comforting the sick boy. Adam was likely not at the top of the betting list at the begining of the game, but she was sure he'd probably risen higher up than many expected him to, mainly because of the fact that he'd lasted so long, and done so much. He'd been around most of the island, from what he'd told her, and had encountered a great many of his fellow students. Many seemed to be dead - and it was likely having an effect on him that would have rivalled the effect the game had on any of the other kids. Adam had been a nice, kind, 'never hurt a fly' kind of guy in the real world, and here...well, here he couldn't do that, or he would die. Adam had killed Blaine to save her own life, and as such had the figureative (or real, depending on if you counted Nanami's real stuff) blood on his hands, Adam was still a very emotionally charged, heart-driven boy. Still...she couldn't exactly see that translating to good odds. Besides, his attachment to her would likely be a negative point in itself. So that pretty much eliminated Adam from the contention for highest odds.

Standing hunched over beside Adam was the beast known as Marcus Roddy - not really a beast at all, but rather a kind, intelligent, and strong young man, who obviously tried his hardest to work around his obvious speech impediment. Amanda could definitely wait to see the first person that made fun of Marcus' speech. She figured that if he didn't tear them limb from limb, he would put them in so much pain they'd wish they'd never been born. As such, Marcus and his physical strength was defintely something that the odds might appear to favour...however...up to now, Marcus really hadn't been having much luck. He had run into another boy who had basically tortured him before he escaped, and then had hurt his wrist upon his arrival, from what Adam had told her about Marcus. If his wounds kept bleeding like they did...

Marcus' time might be up sooner than later, unfortunately.

Sighing, she gave up trying to explain the mystery of their survival odds. The reality of the situation was that fate was in their own hands now, and what they did and did not do would determine if they lived...or if they died.

She couldn't help looking back at Madelaine, her hand still clenched in the other girl's. Madelaine had been regressed inside of herself for quite some time now, and Amanda missed her smarts and her way of controlling most of the situations they found themselves in. Amanda couldn't help but wonder how close she even was to the surface. Sighing, she began to talk to Madelaine a little more.

It couldn't hurt.

"Oh, Madelaine. This is such a shitty situation. Everyone's been hurt by now, pretty much. Except for David, we've all got something that's going to scar us for the rest of our days - be it days, months, or years. I just wish things could have been normal again. I wish the trip could have been cancelled at the last minute."

She sighed.

"Then again...who am I kidding? All of the wishing in the world won't get us out of this situation. It's that whole realism factor that really hits you - how you finally realize that you're here and you're just going to have to make do."

Amanda couldn't help but grin at her own thoughts.

"And I mean...it's funny just kind of looking back on life, reminiscing. I mean...you never told me if you ever liked anyone in our class, or anything like that. Then again, I never really knew you very well. And you know, I wish I had. That's one mistake that if I could do it over, I would. It's weird. When we talk...well, I guess when we used to talk...I mean, I'd known you for...days, was it? Like, days, and I feel as if you're the sister that I never had. Imagine that, huh? Talking of boys, schools we'd like to goto, celebrities we'd like to date. The latest shoes that we just bought or the crazy party we'd gone to the day before. Yet I wish for all of that, all of that shallow stuff, and I know it would have been so much more than that.

Talking about things like the future, about philosophy, about marriage and children, about our hopes, our dreams."

Amanda looked at the ground, a tear actually in her eye, which she quickly wiped away.

"I just have a feeling, that if things would have been different...we...well, I just think we would have been really close, and we would have had some really great times. Fate gave us that opportunity and we missed it. Times like these I just wish we had a do-over. God damn it, Madelaine...I miss you. I need you here. I need you as much, or even more as I need Adam here with me."

Amanda exhaled, her eyes falling.

"I know you probably can't even hear me, and if you did you'd probably think I'm some creepy girl who just wants friends...but damnit...I just have such a feeling that things would have been so different...I could have had a best friend. I never had that before.

And I guess now, I never will."

Another tear rolled down her face, but this time Amanda looked away, moving her head so that her hair covered her face mostly. Sighing, she grew quiet and simply just thought about the past, the future, and everything in between.

Beauty is what the eyes behold
And you burn brighter than most
I chased you thru the midnight streets
To be where I could speak freely
I didn't care what tomorrow held
I felt the world turning only for us
Only bliss now for you and me
Rise up let life's kiss send us reeling
And unlike the times before
From yesterday comes tomorrow
When life comes alive the past moves aside
No regrets and no remorse
We have more than everything
More than man or machine
More than luck
More than fiction
Higher than any religion

From yesterday comes tomorrow
No regrets and no remorse
We'll squeeze the blood out of life
And say goodnight to the silver of old
Even when wrong we're right
Far beyond the world of diamonds and gold
I've come to realize
Where happiness lies
I want you to know I know
No regrets no remorse
[+] V7

B042 - Connor Lorenzen: "You— you're gonna have to live with this for— for a long time. A long time, and I hope you do, brother. Really."

B005 - Claudeson Bademosi: "May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

2: I Wait on You Inside the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea; July 13, 2018 - ongoing

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

V3: B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
V1/3: B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
V1: B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
V2: B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
V1: G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
LadyMakaze†

Post by LadyMakaze† »

Ever silent, Madelaine remained lost in contemplation, giving little to no hint that she had heard Hawley's warning about the antibacterial. As the solution came into contact with the wound across her cheek, she winced slightly, her expression contorting slightly at the sting, but never uttered a single sound.

Perhaps it was due to the fumes of the quickly evaporating solution, or perhaps she had been trying to suppress the painful burning feeling against her cheek. Who knows, perhaps it was the result of all that stress from all that had happened to her. Either way, despite what the reason may be, her eyes could be seen welling up with tears while she continued to look down. Only a few tears descended however, and it was not long before she regained that empty, emotionless expression on her face, once again remaining unresponsive to the people around her.

In truth, the sudden sting of the antibacterial felt as though the entire wound was next to near burning, making her flinch horribly in pain. But whatever physical pain she felt now seemed distant, almost unimportant. Even if it was threatening her life, she hardly cared anymore. It was not like her normal self, to think like this. Then again, nothing would ever be normal again.

Hearing Amanda making another attempt to get through to her again, Madelaine decided to listen to her intently, knowing that doing so would put her at ease no matter how she felt.

Indeed, she did begin to feel more at ease once again as Amanda began to speak out her thoughts and feelings. Although Madelaine felt discouraged with the fact that she was unable to let out her own feelings for whatever reason, she continued to listen patiently. Much of Amanda's thoughts related to her own, Madelaine soon found out. All of that shallow stuff..it seemed like a luxury in a situation like this. More than anything, Madelaine simply wished with all her heart to return to her former life, when those kinds of things mattered. For sure it had to be a thousand times better than living close to death, not knowing if you were going to make it through the next day alive.

But as cruel as the game was, if it had ever offered her anything good, it was friendship, which meant the world to Madelaine. In a place that seemed utterly like a Living Hell, she had found friends that knew she could trust. She had found a sense of belonging. Above all that, she had found Amanda, who had stuck by her side since the moment they had met on this island. Even now, she still stood by Madelaine as a friend who needed her.

And to think that they had only started becoming close friends since a few days ago, holding on fast to one another up to this point. Now that she thought about it...Madelaine did not suppose that she had ever been this close to anyone before, besides her family, and in such a short duration. It quickly becane a wonder as to why Madelaine had not made an effort to get to know her before all of this. ...Before they got sucked up into this nightmare...

If only they had become friends earlier...would she and Amanda have been just as close as they were now? But Madelaine supposed that she would never know now...but all that mattered to her was what she and Amanda shared now. No matter what would have been, or what may happen to them in the future, at that very moment Madelaine was simply glad for the bond she shared with Amanda now.

If only Madelaine could say that to Amanda, so she would know. She looked up just as Amanda turned away suddenly after pausing in silence. She wondered in concern if Amanda was crying now, but did not...could not say anything. Instead, she thought over what Amanda had said to her, about how they could have been friends before all of this, and how she would gladly go back to do things over again if only given the chance.

I would have taken that chance, Amanda, Madelaine thought warmly, wishing that she could say all of this out loud. I would have liked to start over again too.

A smile formed along her lips, despite the tears welling up in her eyes. It was a real one this time, and Madelaine knew for sure that it meant something. She knew...because she smiled like this with her family back in Kyoto, when they were at the botanical gardens. It was the same feeling all around.

It reminded her then. Immediately, her hand found its way into her pocket, where it pulled out the photograph she had tucked away safely inside her diary. She held it out to the side to look at it with a sidelong gaze, so that it would not interfere with Hawley's work. She smiled as she gazed at it quietly for a while. Sure enough, her parents and her little sister Miriam, along with herself, smiled back at her, all happily clustered together like the tightly-knit group they were at the entrance to the botanical gardens. They no longer seemed to far away now, for now she held on fast to the memory of her family like she had never done so before. In a way, they were close to her now, as they had always been.

Even if she could never return to them.

Though she continued to smile, her expression became wistful as she silently held out the photograph out to Amanda, though she would not have minded if any of her other friends wanted to take a look. Even if she could not share her thoughts and feelings with them in words, she still felt as though sharing with them this way would somehow pull her through all of this.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler LadyMakaze. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
OnceForgotten†

Post by OnceForgotten† »

Marcus' heaving back was sweating as the last of the nutrients still in his body exited through his mouth. When he was done vomiting, he sat down, exausted, nodding a 'Thank You' at Adam in the process.
He looked over the group, all of them seemed weary, as if they had just finished running a marathon, but Marcus knew that what they were actually doing was much harder than any race.

These.....these are my....friends
Marcus was happy to know what having actual friends felt like. He had alot of 'friends' back home, sure, but all they were around for was his money when he got to the NFL. They would never patch him up if he was wounded, or help him out if he was sick.

Marcus shook his head, a cloud obscuring his thoughts. He then realized how tired he actually was. The days events had taken a harsh toll on his body and his mind, and all he wanted to do was rest. He lied down on the grass, letting his mind float into oblivion.

If you were watching this on an SOTF camera, you would notice the blood seeping out of the back of Marcus' skull. He looked as if he was sleeping peacefully, but that small peice of missing information would be enough to kill Marcus if no one helped soon.

ooc(you all have two days to figure out how to help a person with a concussion, or Marcus is going into a coma. Just thought I would spice things up a bit.)
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler OnceForgotten. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

As Marcus lay down on the grass, Adam sighed and turned away from the exhausted boy. That was just how it was. The game was taking such a toll on them all that Adam just wasn't surprised that the big wrestler was napping. He wouldn't mind having a bit of a rest himself, but he knew - the second they all let their guard down, that would be when they'd get themselves killed. Adam, of course - having basically just taken the empty leadership position that they'd all seemingly been avoiding, felt that it was his responsibility to make sure that none of them did end up getting killed.

In the end, that responsibility that I felt I just HAD to take is probably going to end up destroying me. But hell, if we even have a prayer in fucking with the system, we need someone to lead. I guess I'm as good a person as any.

He couldn't help but worry though. It seemed as if the group were all afflicted in some sort. He most worried about Madelaine, who; after shooting Nanami, had seemingly retreated into her own mind, sheltering herself against the hell that was Survival of the Fittest. If Madelaine was out of comission, that might prove to be a very negative situation for the group. He could see something like that causing conflicts, especially if it came time for a decision to be made about having to take Madelaine along or not. Adam was, of course, looking to get everyone off the island, yet if it involved a task that needed sound mind and body to perform, some of the group members might suggest that they leave her behind.

God, listen to yourself. I can't even think about leaving her behind, much less anyone. If it comes to it and someone did end up having to stay behind, it would have to be me. No one else. Never.

As such, Adam began to try and think of where the next logical place for his group to travel to. In order to formulate some sort of plan, finding a computer might be crucial. He didn't know if any of his group had computer skills, but if they could find one with an internet connection, it might be possible to find a schematic for these collars. And if David could see a schematic, he might be able to get them off. That'd be the best-case scenario. From there, they could basically just take the weapons that they had and swim off of the island. Destroy a couple cameras, and...boom, see ya later.

No matter what though, we have to get these collars off.

It HAD to be possible, because the collars had been put on somehow, so it made sense there had to be a way to get them off. But HOW?

This is so goddamned annoying, is what it is. Man, I can not wait until I get my hands on Danya. Some how, some way. I will. Might be useful to disable one of those terrorists, too. If we can even get close to them. They're likely to be packing some heavy firepower.

I suppose that only time will tell, in that respect.

Stepping away from Marcus, Adam sighed and looked up at the air. He then looked back at Madelaine and Amanda, who sat next to her.

I promise you girls...I'll get you home. Damnit, I'll get you all home, even if I have to die trying.
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

LadyMakaze†

Post by LadyMakaze† »

Catching a gaze from Adam, Madelaine met his eyes and smiled slightly, as though wanting to let him know that she was starting to feel better now. Starting, at least... Ever still, a shadow hung over her as she remembered the death of her best friend, Nanami, and the fact that she now had blood to her name.

It was hard not to fall to temptation and shut herself completely from the real world...but at least now she made an effort to maintain a hold of herself. Even if reality may not be kind and pretty, it was reality after all. That was the kind of world she had to live in right now.

To ease her mind a bit, she flipped through the various pages of her diary, where faded pencil markings filled the pages, as did various clippings and photographs. Mostly they were that of her family and herself, but here and there were photos of friends and classmates alike.

Madelaine felt a twinge in her chest as she came across a sticker-photo of Nanami and herself, taken at New Years. She quickly flipped the pages over.

A shame... she thought to herself, almost regretfully. I would have liked a photo of my new friends...Amanda, Adam, Hawley, everyone...

She finally reached the end of the cover, where only a few blank pages floated left to right... At first it occurred to her that even if she could not speak, she could always do as Marcus had done: write down what she wanted to say on a piece of paper...But what would she say? No words came to mind...none that she wished to speak out, in any case. It was strange...she wanted to speak her mind out, but she seemed to feel better to keep it all inside, safely tucked below the surface....

With a sigh, she closed the diary, wondering if there was any point in holding onto the past in a time like this... What if she were the next one killed? She'd still be sitting here, wishing to return to her former life, without a clue as to what would happen to her.

But it wasn't as though she could think about much else, either.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Adam Dodd couldn't help it. Blinking his eyes once or twice, he stumbled. Perhaps it was the blood loss, perhaps it was the intense pressure on his mind, or maybe it was the fact that he hadn't slept in god-knows how long. And yet, he stumbled. He hoped somewhat that nobody had seen him stumble as he did, because if they needed to get out of here, they would need to rely upon him to do so - he had promised them that much. If they lost confidence in him, they might lose any hope that there would be an exit, and ...that could lead to terrible things.

I've got to stay sharp, but really...when the hell was the last time any of us really got any sleep...? Fuck.

Adam rubbed his eyes, and sighed. He felt the two pistols in his pockets, and hoped that they wouldn't encounter anyone hostile for awhile. He didn't know how much they'd be able to handle.

~~~~

Amanda couldn't say that she expected Madelaine to make any movements, but she had been hoping for at least some form of sign from the girl to show that she was still there inside. When Madelaine suddenly reached into her pocket and handed her a photo, she just about fell over in shock. Madelaine was still there, all right, at least, her bodily functions were. Amanda was confident that someone was still inside, and while it might take some time, Madelaine would eventually be drawn out again.

Time...funny thing is, that's time we may not have.

Taking the picture from Madelaine's hand, a quizzical look on her face, she took at a look at the picture. It appeared to be Madelaine's family, all gathered around for a picture, looking happy, seeming not to have a care in the world. Amanda looked at the picture, wondering what she was supposed to see, what she was supposed to figure from it...?

I've been sitting here spilling my guts to you, and I don't even know if you can hear me. Are you trying to tell me something? Can you even understand what I'm saying? And if so, what are you trying to...

As Amanda looked at the picture, she began to see it in an entirely different light. Madelaine had given Amanda a picture of her family. Two parents, and two girls, all standing around, looking happy. But as she looked at it...

"Oh."

Tears began to form in Amanda's eyes as she finally took in just what Madelaine was trying to convey to her. In the picture, she didn't just see Madelaine and her family. But she saw Madelaine. She saw Adam. Hawley was there. David and Marcus too. All of them, and Amanda herself. The five of them. Looking happier, and looking like they hadn't a care in the world. Adam, of course, grinning slyly, two fingers over Hawley's head, who looked serious as always, but had a twinkle in his eye...Amanda, beside Adam with her arm around him, blushing at some joke someone had likely made. There would be Marcus, in the back, his huge frame taking up most of the picture, but the boy would be smiling that smile of his - the one that showed off all of his impossibly white teeth. And David, arms crossed, a bemused expression on his face, not showing too much emotion, but enough to let whomever was looking know that he was having a good time. And in the middle, there was Madelaine. Looking like she couldn't have been more comfortable, more happy.

Tears ran down Amanda's face as she fully grasped what Madelaine was trying to tell her. Of course, the picture was just of Madelaine and her family, there was no picture of the five of them. Fact was, none of them had been friends outside of the game, save her and Adam, but here...here, they were each other's rocks, the ones who they each needed to rely on. Here, they were each other's best friends.

Here, on what were likely the final days of their lives, they were each other's family.

Adam constantly referred to life outside of this sick game as 'the real world', as if it were another reality, much like that of 'the Matrix'. Sadly, if they couldn't end up escaping, none of them would see that 'real world' again. So here, in this sick, demented reality that they knew as Survival of the Fittest, here...

...here, we're all each other's got.

Blinking a tear away from her eye, she reached out and rubbed Madelaine's shoulder, opposite from her wound. Glancing at the picture, she found herself smiling.

"I understand...oh god, I understand what you're trying to tell me. Madelaine...we're going to find a way out of this place, you hear me? We're going to find a way out. And when we do...you can introduce me to your sister...and your parents. And...and things'll be so much better. They will...and you'll be okay...you will..."

Amanda couldn't help herself, she covered her eyes with her hands. She didn't sob, but she let the tears run down her face. Perhaps it was the wound on her leg, or even the hopelessness of the situation, but Amanda just wondered how much longer it would take for something to happen.

Something...meaning escape...or death?

And the scary part was...Amanda had a feeling that one might come significantly sooner than the other.
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

LadyMakaze†

Post by LadyMakaze† »

Madelaine looked up in surprise as Amanda took a hold of her shoulder, and was even more surprised to see that tears were now running down her face, having understood finally how Madelaine felt about the five of them working together. Thinking about it now...Madelaine almost felt like crying herself.

Her life had not always been easy. Since a very young age, she learned to worry about concepts like 'cutting corners' and 'making ends meet' and such. Her parents meant well, for all their inexperience...it was hardly their fault. But it was hard at times.

Still, as a family, they managed to pull through, though it took the combined effort from each person. As a result, they had always been close. And when Miriam was born...it somehow drew them closer. They knew they had to work together to pull through the hardest of situations, and keeping close together was all they needed to keep going.

That was how Madelaine felt about the group right now. Though they might not survive it... they just had to keep going. Only by working together would they be able to pull through. Just like Madelaine and her family back home...

She was suddenly reminded of their faces as Amanda mentioned going back, so that she could meet her family. A bittersweet, almost painful feeling filled her as she thought of them...what could they be doing now? Poor things...How would Miriam feel about it? Or more likely, perhaps she would be too young to understand.

Madelaine would probably never know.

I can never see them again... she thought sadly to herself. To them...I'm probably as good as dead already...I'm already gone. Her eyes stung at the very thought, knowing that she was cut off completely from everyone...Mom, Dad, Miriam. They were beyond her reach now.

But it's still okay...It's already decided. I might as well move on, she thought, finding reassurance in this acceptance.

She looked towards Amanda, moved by her hopeful words. Madelaine herself had lost all hope of returning to her family...but at the very least, she was not alone. Hopefully her loved ones back home can take care of themselves from now on. Here, Madelaine had others to worry about. They were all she had left, after all.

She looked over Amanda's tears and smile, feeling oddly renewed and comforted despite accepting that she would never return to her family. She could not mention this to Amanda, of course...nor did she wish to. But there was still something else she wished to do.

Madelaine smiled warmly at her, that same happy smile in the photograph, and opened her lips slightly. Though barely a whisper came out, the words she mouthed were unmistakeable.

'Thank you.'
riserugu†

Post by riserugu† »

Over the past few moments Hawley had been working to stop or at least slow down the flow of blood from Madelaine, mangling to fix bandages over both wounds caused by her more recent gunshot wounds she had just gotten.

And as Madelaine had reached, taking a hold of her diary and flipping through pages he had begun to slowly push himself up and away from the girls holding his spot for a moment before he took a step out.

Though his intent on moving to a different area didn’t last to long as he felt the injured knee, which he believed to have been getting better, buckle and unable to support his weight and sent him collapsing against the ground. Supported on his knees to some degree leaning forward in his spot as he took a deep breath.

‘Hell. What’s wrong now…’ He pressed in thought as he once again went about getting onto his feet.

But as soon as he found himself standing upright once more, Hawley felt that familiar jolt along his leg and some of his right side as the familiar feeling of the knee buckling and he collapsing replaying over again. Sitting there he sighed to himself a little before letting himself roll off his knees and into a sitting position trying to take the pressure off the knee, and hoping that whatever was causing him problems now would go away by the time everyone would be ready to leave.

‘What a wonderful time for this to happen –‘ He thought to himself ever so bitterly in thought, as he sat there looking over the group. The voice of Amanda was somewhat drowned out as if he where listening to her from underwater, or water was caught in his ear…

David had been quiet these past moments since Nanami had died, and Marcus had still lain down after ridding himself of what little food and water he had ate since arriving on the island – if anything. Blinking lazily, he rose a hand rubbing an area under his eyes trying rid the feeling of sleep from coming on.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler riserugu. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

While all this was going on, David was silently contemplating the situation, knowing that he really wouldn't be able to do anything to help Madelaine or Marcus, he decided to stay out of the way and try to think up a plan. Sighing in frustration, he dug into his pocket and pulled out a picture of his team. All nine members of Barry Coleson High's baseball team were in the picture, and seven were on the island (Mark and Brian had been unable to go. One was sick and the other overslept and missed the bus). The picture had been taken just after Barry Coleson's team won the State Championships (in fact, the banner signifying the victory was behind the team in the photo) and each team member had a copy. David sighed as he looked over the faces of his teammates, Aaron with a broad smile giving the "thumbs up" gesture to the photographer, himself in the middle, covered in sweat and with a weary grin plastered on his face, Jason on the far right, his hawk-like face serious even in the middle of a celebratory picture, Michael "Klepto" Suarez just behind David, the third baseman's smile even wider than Aaron's as he held two fingers over David's head (and immediately after the picture tried to steal David's cap), Ian "Meat" Hargrave at the top and just in front of the banner, the catcher's face betraying the relief he felt at not having to catch any more of David's pitches until next season, the second baseman, Mark Hall (he refused to let David give him a nickname) next to Ian, a proud smirk on his face (nobody had managed to steal second base through the entire game) as he held his arms behind his head, Scott Jameson at the far left, the left fielder holding a slightly bruised hand that had stopped ten hits from becoming home runs over the course of the game, the center fielder, Brian Forbes, right in front of Ian and holding the championship plaque over his head, and Jack "Hack" O'Connor next to Aaron, the laptop that was nearly synonymous with him on his lap.

I wonder if they're all right, I haven't seen any of them since the plane incident. he thought as he went to pocket the photo, but stopped as he noticed the computer, a minute detail that had little signifigance until now.

Wait, Jack's laptop has internet accessability, and I think he had it with him on the trip, if we can find him, we can get him to hack into the terrorists' computer systems and deactivate the collars, or at least get their schematics! David smiled as he let out relieved, "Of course!" and pocketed the photo.

"Guys, I know who can help," he said to the group, " You know Jack O'Connor, right? The guy on my team who hacked into the school computers and gave the whole school straight A's the first semester? If we can find him, he should be able to get into the terrorist computers and deactivate the collars or get their schematics. It's a long shot, he may not even be alive, but it's still a chance, right?"
OOC: This wasn't just made up at the spur of the moment, to defuse that before it comes up. I've to an exten planned some of that, and you should find all six mentioned people in the adoption topic (if you want to take one, just say so).
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Having recovered from his near-fall and positioned himself against a tree, looking over the area, Adam couldn't help but smile at David's sudden suggestion. The optimism that had suddenly fired itself into the boy's voice was shocking, if not unexpected. Adam hadn't known David to betray his emotions very much in this game thusfar, but to see the boy genuinely excited was something that Adam couldn't help but secretly enjoy.

For longer than he could remember, Adam had always been a quiet advocate of 'say what you feel', even if he didn't always practice what he preached. Sure, nobody was perfect in that respect, but he tried to do it as much as he possibly could, and generally felt a lot better when he did so. So to see the look of joy behind David's eyes, that made Adam's mood look up a little bit. Also helping his mood along was the fact that David seemed to have a plan!

So maybe things are looking up a little after all. Who said that optimism dies, huh? Well fuck that!

Adam betrayed himself with the large smile that came over his face at David's sudden exclaimation. Adam hadn't personally socialized with Jack O'Connor, but he had spoken to the boy a couple of times at a few of the social events that they had each attended. The boy seemed nice, although a little hesitant. Adam had remembered the 'straight A' incident and couldn't resist making a comment, and while the boy had grinned, he had still seemed oddly...out of place.

It could work. Dave's right. It's a long shot, but if we can get these fucking collars off, we're home fucking free. There are so many of us on this island that they can't possibly be monitoring us all at once. They're bound to miss some things. Like for example - why I'm still alive after I destroyed that camera at the Eastern Shore...?

Adam shrugged to himself. There were some things that even he had no answer for. Perhaps he were being 'saved' for some other purpose. Of course, that might be the case if you were religious, which Adam...frankly, he wasn't. He'd never understood organized religion, as he felt that just believing in yourself and making what you feel at the time were the best possible decisions would be enough. Thusfar, he figured that every decision he'd made in this game...well, it was the best he could have possibly made, because of the fact that he was still alive.

And here, that counts for everything. It ain't about how many kills you get, or the total time you're on the island. It's all about who's the last person standing.

"Dave...that's a hell of an idea. I haven't heard Jack's name read out over the announcements, so my guess would be that he's still alive. But..." Adam glanced at his signal-less cell phone, really only a glorified clock now. "...but it's been awhile since the last one, so..."

He couldn't help internally wondering how many of his friends, his classmates...how many had died since the last announcement, and how many were left now? How many students were remaining?

Looking around their makeshift camp, Adam sighed. He'd been here for what seemed like days - the actual timeframe he wasn't even sure. He'd been through a lot in the past few days, and he had a feeling that in the coming ones, he'd likely go through a lot more. That was just how this kind of situation went. The things in the beginning always paled to the horrors of the end.

Kind of a bad way to look at it, really. Seriously...what's going on with me becoming all negative and shit...? I don't get it. Sure, this game changes you, but...THAT much? It just seems...like so much to change.

There was a man who had a face
That looked a lot like me
I saw him in the mirror and
I fought him in the street
And when he turned away
I shot him in the head
Then I came to realize
I had killed myself

It was then that Adam fully realized the source of his change, the source of his guilt, his burden. It was the full reason that all of a sudden, he felt that he needed to take charge. The whole reason for that huge change that had come over him all of a sudden. He saw it so clearly that he was surprised that he hadn't seen it before. It was also the reason that things were so low-key right now amongst the group.

It's because I killed someone. It's because I, like so many others, now have blood on my hands. Because unlike so many others, I killed a boy in cold blood, I even cursed him to hell before I did it. It's because in the long run, apparently we're all the same. Jacob Starr. He's the same. Hawley. He's changed, but deep down, he knows that he's still the same. Anyone else who's cold bloodedly murdering people - they're the same. And I'm right in that group too. Right along with them. Those song lyrics...that one Audioslave song, they just told me exactly how it is. When I shot Blaine, inside of me, a piece of me- no little piece, a big one...it had died. A piece of me died when I pulled that trigger. Died along with Blaine.

Adam pinched the bridge of his nose and winced. Nobody knew about his kill except for Madelaine and Amanda. What would happen when the announcement came on and everyone found out? Would they expel him, toss him out for not telling them? Would they abandon him? What would happen?

Adam likely would have escalated his own demise by thinking himself to death if he hadn't had the other lyrics from that song pop into his head - the chorus. Perhaps, if just for the short term, it were those words that saved his sanity.

If you're free you'll never see the walls
If your head is clear you'll never free fall
If you're right you'll never fear the wrong
If your head is high you'll never fear at all

But of course. He might have been a prisoner here, and he might be scared out of his mind, but...no matter what happened, he was still Adam Dodd. Nobody would be able to take that away from him, no matter what. And one of Adam Dodd's better qualities was that in the best of times, Adam was optimistic, and tried to live his life with no regrets. Here...his optimism had been stunted a little by the shock of the events that had transpired.

But no matter what, that was something that they'd never be able to take away from him - his optimism. Maybe it'd be hiding deep within him, but it'd always be there. Always encouraging him to look up, to look on the bright side of things. Like the song said, if you're free, you'd never see the walls. Adam thought of himself as a relaxed, and generally free person. So why was he coming up against the walls? It was his own fault. The song also said that if your head is high, you'd never fear at all.

And that was it.

Adam hadn't been holding his head high at all. He'd been worrying, he'd been seeing all of the barriers, he hadn't been looking up, looking at the sky. In sitautions like this, you needed to look at the sky, if not for your own peace of mind, but for the comfort of those around you. That was the great thing about the sky. It seemed eternal. It went on as far as the eye could see, and of course, it did eventually end, that end was nowhere in sight, and for anyone on the planet Earth, it never would be.

...and therin lay my salvation. In the sky. Not with God, not with any other spiritual body. But with myself. With my innate ability to look on the bright side of things.

Adam visibly relaxed, and smiled.

Therin lies my salvation, and upon my shoulders rests everyone else's. So let's stop wasting time and get a fucking move on, shall we, Dodd?

Looking at the group, he again spoke out loud, this time directing his comments to everyone else in the River.

"Okay guys...we've stayed here for long enough. I know that we're all injured in some way, but you know what? You've got to look at it like...heh...like it's building character. When we all get out, and we're talking to our grandkids someday, it'll be a good conversation topic. Battle scars, and that shit. But right now...I think Dave's got a good plan, and if we can find his friend, we might be one step closer to getting out of here and shoving this fucking 'game' right up Mr. Danya's ass. Dave, you know your friend, do you think there's anywhere that he might go if he felt threatened? This game's bound to do that to you, and if we can predict where he's likely going to end up, maybe we can catch him before he leaves."

He smiled.

Adam Dodd had just re-entered the building, and this time, he was back for vengeance.
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

"Jack would probably stay on the move, he never really trusted most of the classmates. If that's the case it'll be hard to find him and harder to convince him to help. for allI know, he decided to play, though I hope that's not the case. Either way, we'd have to approach him with caution so he doesn't see us as threats." David replied, nodding to himself at his description of Jack's personality.

"Of course, if he is hiding out anywhere, it's probably a place where he can get a clear connection with his laptop but escape notice from someone who doesn't look for him carefully. In short, he's going to be hard to find on this island." he said in a lower tone, looking over the map to see what location suited that description best.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.

Return to “The River”