What Kind of Person Do You Want to Be?

The English department is located on the southeast prong of the main building and like the math department it is made up of six classrooms spread over two floors. The English department is shared by both English and social studies classes, and features a collection of flags of the world hanging between the two floors. On specific dates different flags are hung to celebrate various holidays and world events.
KamiKaze

What Kind of Person Do You Want to Be?

Post by KamiKaze »

((Bree Jones continued from Survival of the Fittest, Leonard!))

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrng!

“Don’t forget, you have an essay outline due in a week, so I recommend getting started with it over the weekend,” said Ms. Prescott, shuffling papers. “Class dismissed.”

On cue, everyone stood up from their desks, gathering their belongings.

Today’s essay question was still on Bree’s mind.

What kind of person do you want to be?

It was clear what Prescott had in mind. Graduation was coming up, and everyone was going to go do their own thing. It was, in theory, a question that was easy to answer, but it seemed trickier.

Bree knew what she had planned after graduation. Go to college, get her degree. She knew she was interested in marine biology, enough to pursue it as a career. Bree wanted to dedicate her life to educating people about the ocean and help animals any way she could. So, that was a given.

But, this wasn’t just about what you have planned after high school. See, Prescott also wanted to know what your values were, where you stood. Stuff like that. What kind of person do you want to be?

And that was the tricky part.

At first, it was easy to answer. Bree wanted to be successful, she wanted to leave a positive impact. Pretty straightforward stuff. Bree knew who she was and what she wanted. She liked animals, and she liked being on the swim team, and she liked kayaking, and she liked livestreaming The Sims, and she liked watching movies with her friends. She was opinionated, and strong-willed, and smart, and dedicated, and maybe a little bossy.

But to put your core values into words?

Bree really had to think it over.

She shuffled her own papers into a folder, and picked up her things. It was the last class of the day on a Friday, so she did have some time to think about stuff. It was just the outline, after all, not the entire thing. And it was due a week from now. Still though, she was most likely going to follow Prescott’s advice and work with it over the weekend, see what she came up with.

Bree looked around her, at the other students packing up.

Hmmm. Maybe she could ask others for their input? See what they thought of the assignment.
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

[Regina “Gina” Petrov Pregame Start]

Blue eyes snapped to attention at the sound of the bell ringing, signifying the end of a long school day. A light sigh escaped the blonde’s lips and she swept a loose strand of hair from her forehead with her right hand. She’d been daydreaming a bit during class, as per usual, and was a bit relieved that the class had ended without her being called on for anything. Ms. Prescott made a final announcement about their upcoming assignment as the other students around her started to pack up their belongings and make their way out of the classroom. Regina began to pack away her own paperwork into folders and notebooks, and stored all her English class materials into her brown oversized over-the-shoulder Michael Kors bag. She’d gotten it at a bargain earlier in the year, and it made school life a million times easier as she no longer had to carry both a purse and a backpack. Plus, it was super fashion-forward, and matched just about everything she wore. The only downside was how heavy it got when she had multiple classes worth of books and materials inside. Once it almost tipped her over when she tried to shoulder it. She laughed a bit to herself remembering the embarrassing incident. If you couldn’t laugh at yourself, who could you laugh at after all?

Regina placed her bag on the desk and stood from her seat, stretching out her tightened muscles as she did so. Her shirt came a bit un-tucked from her high-waisted Jeans as she did, so she quickly adjusted the three-quarter sleeve black shirt so it was once again tucked in tight. She tapped the toe of her brown suede bootie against the ground as she readied herself to follow her peers out of the classroom. She smiled and waved goodbye to a few people as they left the room, and she quickly decided that she too should be on her way. Regina hefted her bag onto her shoulder and started to think about her weekend plans. The only thing she really had going on was recording a new recipe guide for her YouTube channel, but besides that she didn’t have anything concrete to do. She supposed that meant she’d have to actually give this essay outline due next week some thought.

‘What kind of person do you want to be?’ That was not much to go off for a whole essay. It’s not that Regina was necessarily bad when it came to writing, but it definitely wasn’t one of her favorite class assignments. Give her some numbers and a problem to solve and she was golden, but words just seemed to escape her sometimes. It was hard to get what she was thinking down on paper correctly. Especially in a way that made sense to an outside reader. And this question seemed to be rigged against her. It was deceivingly simple, everyone knows the basics of who they aspire to be, but when you got down to the more core feelings and reasoning behind those choices, things got a lot more complicated. Regina sighed dejectedly as she imagined how frustrating this weekend was going to be struggling with this outline. Still lost in her thoughts, she began to unconsciously walk out of the room and bumped into one of the other students as they too were leaving.

“Oh gosh, I’m so sorry!” She quickly uttered as she looked up to see who it was she bumped into. “Sorry Bree, I wasn’t looking where I was going! This essay outline has me stressed out already. Graduation’s around the corner, aren’t we supposed to be done with all these big projects?” She pouted.
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V8 Kids Lined Up To Die
Sebastian Odegaard - Playing The Leading Man
Yoona Lee - Rejecting Society
Chanel Andersson-Joseph - Changing Her Aesthetic
Marc Hines - Lazer-Focused on the Future
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

ImageLorenzo Tavares B03 - DEAD
Pregame:1 2 3 4 5 Memories:1 2 3 4 Prom: 1 2 3 4 Trip: 1
Island: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
ImageGina Petrov G43 - DEAD
Pregame: 1 2 3 4 Memories: 1 2 Prom: 1 2 Trip: 1
Island: 1 2 3
ImageJackson Sullivan B36 - DEAD
Pregame: 1 2 3 4 5 Memories: 1 Prom: 1 2 Trip: 1
Island: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ImageAmelia Fischer G34 - DEAD
Pregame: 1 Memories: 1 2 Prom: 1 2 Trip: 1
Island: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Meka Gibson continued from Black Box Ice Box))

As the bell rang and everyone began to file out for the day, Meka instead flipped open a small notebook and began to write. "What kind of person do you want to be?" was quite a daunting question to write an entire essay about. For Meka, that should be easy. He would want to be a poet, teacher, and activist and spend the rest of his life traveling the world to share his work and his message. Of course, just writing all of that wouldn't be scratching the surface. If Meka really wanted to do well on this essay (which he did, it still counted for schoolwork and he needed to keep his GPA up before graduation if he was to get into Howard), he'd have to really find the best way to explain all of this to Ms. Prescott and, by extension, himself.

To do so, Meka started to write a series of words in his notebook. He'd have a week to work on this essay, but maybe some free writing would help him start. He had seen some writing workshops online that called for the writer to write all the words that came to mind on a subject and then constructing a poem or story based on it. It had worked well, and he could probably use the list later for new material.

He quickly began to write on the notebook. He'd have to clear the classroom soon, so he had to get as many words down as he could before he had to move. He gave himself a personal time limit of five minutes, and went ahead, writing as many words as he could to fill the page.

Writer teacher philosopher lecturer role model leader activist pedagogue social limitless
ideals ideas poet speaker slam performer lyrics stanzas refrains rhymes wit brevity strong
protester organizer community family gender race sexuality politics minority disobedient
future speculative dreamer marginalized voices

Before he could continue, Meka was distracted by two girls bumping into one another. It was Bree Jones and Gina Petrov. He didn't know either girl that well, but he had no real quarrels with them in the past, so he would say he was on decent terms with them. Gina was already talking about how stressful the project would be and how odd it was to get a project like this close to the end.

"Yeah, you'd think we'd be done," Meka mentioned to Gina, "but at least it's just soul searching and not a science project."
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Something bumped into her.

Bree turned around to give whoever it was a glare, but let her face soften a bit as she realized. Gina profusely apologized, saying that she was lost in thought.

Bree knew what Gina was like. Aside from school, they both volunteered at the same animal shelter. She was nice, and everyone knew of her cooking YouTube thing. It was genuinely an accident. Still annoying, but you can’t really blow up at her for it.

Still though. At least someone else thought it was a tricky assignment. It didn’t help that Bree wasn’t exactly a wizard with writing. Sure, she could write a science paper, but to put more abstract stuff into words?

Oh, but you know who was probably more of a wizard? Meka, who just joined in. Yeah, she was sure everyone knew of his poetry too. Poetry and essays weren’t the same thing, but still.

Bree shrugged.

“Yeah. I guess she gave us it because she wanted us to think over stuff before graduation. It’s just… you know.”

Bree, again, knew the basics. She wanted to research, educate others on, and help animals. She knew how opinionated and stubborn she could get. It’s, again, putting things into words is the issue.

She rubbed her neck for a moment.

“Hey, what do you feel like tackling in the assignment? I’m still thinking it over.”

It might be useful to see where others are coming from. Not to copy, obviously, but to get an idea of what others were thinking about.
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

As she was apologising to Bree, another voice cut through their interaction from nearby. Regina turned her head to see that Meka had decided to join in on their conversation. While Regina didn’t know either student very well, she at least had some degree of regular interaction with Bree with the both of them volunteering at the same animal shelter. Regina wouldn’t exactly call them friends, but Bree was certainly someone she was comfortable having a conversation with. Meka however, Regina rarely saw outside of class. Which was a shame because Regina thought he seemed to be a kind person, and from what little she’d seen of his slam poetry, she thought he had a beautiful way with words. Now that she thought about it, she was pretty sure Meka was one of the students with the highest grades in their English class.

“Honestly, I’d probably prefer a Science project.” She groaned.

Bree mentioned that Ms. Prescott probably wanted to get them thinking about their future after graduation. She was probably on the right track. Even so, Regina found the essay to be a bit too nuanced for her own writing capabilities. Not that she was incapable per-se, it was just that giving her opinions on such an abstract concept of who she wanted to be in life was a bit harder for her than she’d like to admit. Regina had a general idea of the person she saw herself becoming. Someone who worked hard and stayed humble, who was kind to others and helped to make her community better. Someone who helped raise a family and was a great mom, just like her own. Someone who gave more than she expected to receive, and stayed true to her morals. But putting that down on paper in essay format? That made her head spin a little. Bree asked a question, snapping Regina out of her thoughts for a moment.

“I’m pretty unsure myself.” Regina began to nervously play with her braid with her hands. She was starting to crave something sweet. Like a lemon bar. Or a snickerdoodle. “I’m just no good at things like this.” She dug into her purse and pulled out a sandwich bag filled with butter cookies. She opened the bag and pulled one out for herself before offering the treats to the other two. “I usually can’t think on an empty stomach. Either of you want some? They’re super soft I made them this morning.”
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Oh, gladly," Meka said, taking a cookie from Regina. "Thank you."

He was glad to see both Bree and Regina were looking for advice and opinions on the essay. If he could give his thoughts, he could get feedback too. For all he knew, the list of words he was writing down would be completely useless or unhelpful. He doubted that, but the girls could say that.

"Well, for me, I know what I want to do," Meka explained. "It's about figuring out how to present it."

Meka showed the notebook to the girls.

"Like, how can I explain what I want to do with my life without sounding repetitive? Ms. Prescott's gonna read a whole ton of these. May as well make it interesting for her by using some descriptive phrases and SAT words."

Meka took a bite of the cookie.

"Oh, these are good, by the way. Thanks again."
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Honestly, a science project would be easier, yes. Lay out all your hypotheses, all the facts, all the conclusions. Solid facts were easy to understand.

“Oh, thanks,” Bree said, taking her own piece.

She meant it. That made up for her bumping into her just now, really.

And Gina was right. Super soft, very delectable.

She chewed on a small bite of the cookie, much like she chewed on Meka’s piece. After swallowing, she pitched in.

“So make it… pleasant for her to read, since she’s already reading a ton?”

A bit more mental chewing.

Bree remembered what Prescott said about her past assignments. Usually it was “more detail here.” While she did okay on assignments, enough to get a good grade, it still needed polishing.

That seemed fairly solid advice, really.
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

Regina happily passed the bag of cookies to her classmates as she munched on her own soft snack. Meka and Bree both thanked her for the treat, and Meka went on to explain how he was planning on attacking the project at hand. What he said made sense, but still Gina found herself at a loss as to what her outline should really look like. She was the first to admit that she was hardly the best writer out there, and all of her papers usually came back saturated in red notes and suggestions to help her writing improve. It was really a matter of how to convey her thoughts in a way that read pleasantly, and she was never quite sure how to overcome that hurdle. She KNEW what she wanted to say, but whenever she wrote it out it always came out jarring and discombobulated. Meka had a solid piece of advice, and Bree cemented it when she repeated it. If Ms. Prescott had to read a mass of papers, the best way to stand out was to make said paper exciting and pleasant to read. That was much easier said than done, in her experience. Meka thanked her again for the cookie and she gave him a small smile.

“It’s my pleasure! Here, you’re both welcome to take some more.” She placed the sandwich bag on Meka’s desk since all three were surrounding it, as an offer for the others to take what they wanted.

“I get the idea of making it fun to read, but I just can't seem to express what I want to say in a way that makes sense.” She sighed and looked at the other two. “It’s just such a broad question, I wish it was a little more specific. I feel like if I try to write it out it’ll just be all over the place. Like what does she want us to focus on?”
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Meka took another cookie after Regina left the bag on his desk. She was curious about what she should focus on for the essay. Meka took a bite and shrugged.

"I mean, you know how people sometimes make plans based on the amount of time they project into the future?" he began. "You know, like a five-year plan, a ten-year plan, etc.? Maybe it'd help to try to think in those terms."

Meka set the cookie down and flipped his notebook to another page. He drew a line vertically down the paper. At one end of the line, he drew a line through it and wrote "2018." A few lines down, at the center of the page, he drew another line through the vertical line and wrote "2023." Finally, at the other end of the line, he drew a line and wrote "2028."

"Okay, so here's a rough timeline of the next ten years, god willing any of us make it ten years with the state of the world as it is. Like, in 2018, you have your high school graduation."

Meka wrote "High school graduation" under "2018."

"In 2028, our ten-year reunion."

He then wrote the same words under "2028."

"Maybe think of things that you can hope to or know you can accomplish in that time. For instance, by 2023, I'd want to..."

Meka took a moment to write some words down, speaking them aloud as he wrote.

"Be financially independent."

He gestured this to the girls.

"Does that help, or am I just rambling like a politician?"
Tonyksin

Post by Tonyksin »

Regina listened attentively to Meka’s explanation as to how he was looking at the essay. He made a timeline on a sheet of paper and began to show how it represented the next ten years. She smiled a bit at his joke about the state of the world, and took another bite of the cookie. He went on to show how there were certain things a person might want to accomplish between graduating high school and their ten year reunion, and how you could use a timeline like this to map those things out. Regina nodded along with his explanation. It made sense, and she found this much easier to digest than the vague writing prompt Ms. Prescott had assigned. This kind of thinking she could understand and appreciate. Logical, and numbers based was much more her speed. Excitedly she clapped her hands together and grinned.

“Wow, yeah that makes total sense! I never thought about it that way!” She laughed and adjusted the strap of her purse on her shoulder.

“You make it so easy to understand! You should look into being a teacher, Meka, I think you might have a knack for it.” Regina glanced up at the clock in the classroom, and realized the three of them had been talking for a while already.

“Well, thanks for the advice. Honestly I’m still a bit nervous about writing this essay, but I feel a lot better about it than I did a few minutes ago. Thanks, Meka.” She smiled at the boy and turned to face Bree.

“Maybe I’ll see you at the shelter this weekend? I’m working on Sunday. Hopefully I’ll have this all done by then and we can compare notes.” She grinned and began to make her way to the door.

“You guys can keep the cookies, I have way more than I need anyway.” She laughed. “I’ll see you guys later, have a good weekend!”

Regina made her way out of the classroom and saw that the halls were just about deserted already. She sighed and laughed to herself. Everyone must have really been in a rush to get out of there today. End of the year blues and all that. Well, at least now she had a semblance of an idea what to do for this silly paper, bumping into Bree had turned out to be a godsend on that account. Maybe she’d call Camille over and ask her for some pointers. She was great at writing, even if her writing had a tendency for the more lewd. She pulled out her phone as she made her way to the school parking lot, starting a text to her friend.

[Regina "Gina" Petrov Continued in The Good in Everyone]
V8 Relationship Chart
[+] V7 Kiddos
V7:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Oh jeez this thread has been dead for so long.))

"No prob," Meka told Regina. "Whatever helps."

Regina packed up and left. Meka put his notebook in his bag and stood up.

"Yeah, I better go too," he told Bree. "See ya."

Meka hurried out of the class. He sure had a lot to think about for this essay. A cup of coffee would surely help him organize those thoughts.

((Meka Gibson continued elsewhere))
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Bree let the conversation float in the air for a few seconds.

Think of your high school reunion in 2028. Where do you want to be? Financially independent? Maybe. With a family? Maybe. It was all sound advice. A year, five years, ten. Maybe fifteen.

She took a bite.

Bree wanted to be financially independent, of course. She wasn't sure about marrying or having kids. She was sure that she wanted to continue with marine biology. Maybe see the world. She thought of those diving bell expedition. Bree had been following those on YouTube, and a sperm whale had started to check out the researchers during a deep sea exploration. It was cool. She wondered if one day she would be able to see something like that in person. There were practical reasons why she liked marine biology, but honestly? There was a lot of beauty out there, and she wanted to see it.

She wanted her degree. A bachelor's could be completed in four years time. A Masters or PhD would add more.

"It makes sense," she said.

Think of it in... well, bites. Think of where you want to be and when. Use descriptive languages. Make it interesting to read.

Then, Regina and Meka had to leave. She smiled, not noticing the crumb on her lip.

"Thanks, by the way."

She had something to work with.

((Bree Jones continued elsewhere))

Return to “English Department”