Down In My Beast Hart I Build An Empire

Day 13, Morning, Private

The manor house is the largest single building on the island and the only building that has a second floor. The outside of the house features elaborate carvings in the entryway, while the main hall contains a large metal chandelier formed of many interlocking spirals. The interior features extravagant rugs spread across the floor in every room. On the ground floor, there is a kitchen, a large dining room with a hand-carved table, each leg made to look like a rushing wave, and a living room featuring a large purple velvet sofa. The second floor is home to a large master bedroom, a smaller but no less elaborate guest room, a drawing room and a balcony that overlooks the entire island.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

So that’s what 900 rounds per minute felt like.

Not great.

What was the speed of sound? What was the speed of thought?

Definitely not faster than the second spray of bullets.

Abe didn’t have time to process the apology, or realize, really realize that he wasn’t going to win.

Still.

If anyone in Hell deigned to ask, his only regret was not killing every last person in the house before he went.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

And in the blink of an eye, Abraham the King of the Rats was found dead in his own court.

Katelynne couldn't peel her eyes away from the fresh corpse, here one moment and gone the next just like that. Her knees were gonna buckle any second.

She couldn't do this. She can't be here. Not now. Not in front of Marco.

Wordlessly and without waiting for him, she shook her head to herself and doubled back to the kitchen not in haste but with a purpose. Her bag was waiting for her.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

It didn't make any sense for Katelynne's footsteps to be louder than the gunshots. Abraham's footsteps had been swallowed up entirely by the echo of the shotgun at a closer distance; maybe it was because he was trying to hide himself while Katelynne had nothing to obscure in her intent. Perhaps Marceline's shotgun was louder than the weapon hanging over Abraham's shredded face. It was even possible Marco wasn't hearing them at all so much as anticipating them, assuming they would be there, knowing they would be moving away from him, and responding to stimulus that confirmed his bias above the ringing in his ears. The mind, especially his mind, was not an objective observer.

He knew exactly what to say.

"Are you coming back?"

Because there was nothing that would make this okay. No argument or assurance between them would resolve their tension. Their conversations were terse, to the point, on her terms, and none of those conditions adequately supported what they needed.

Marco had killed someone.

Katelynne had watched him die.

She hadn't shot him in the back. She hadn't yelled at him. She hadn't tried to reason her way through what had just happened. She went to leave, and Marco had no justification for why she should stay. He'd already told her last night he'd understand if she wanted to go, or wanted him to go, or, or whatever was necessary. He'd understood then that there would come a moment where what they needed was for there to be no 'they.'

So he didn't try to stop her. He didn't look up from what he'd done. He asked his question in a quiet voice without assumptions, including that she would answer him at all.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Katelynne didn't slow down. She couldn't. Not until she got where she needed to go.

"Idunno," she tripped over her words as much as her feet. "I can't. Sorry. I can't. Need to... Princess."

((She slammed the door behind her.))
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

He would have killed her. Marco struggled to be sure of much, but of that much he was sure. Abraham was callous. Spiteful. Petty. Remorseless. Outliving the wound she'd given him would set him on course, and next time he wouldn't play coy. He wouldn't come for Marco first either. Assuming Abraham had any way to fight back hidden up his sleeve, he would make sure that Katelynne went first. Both of them would die if he could manage it, but if he could only take one of them it would be Katelynne. She'd wounded him more by backing him into a corner than putting a bullet in his arm, but he wouldn't forget either act. He would kill her, and he would take pleasure in it. Marco's thoughts on the matter had not been so articulate before he pulled the trigger, he could not act as if they were justification for what he'd done, but the emotions he felt listening to Abraham's last words guided him to this unavoidable conclusion. In any world where Abraham Watanabe was still alive he never would have let Katelynne walk out that door.

They weren't in a world where Abraham was still alive, though. They were in one where Marco had made the snap judgement that her life was worth more than another without even being fully conscious that that was the choice he was making. Like most of the lingering questions between them they'd never talked about how Katelynne felt about death beyond the abstract veneer of justice she threw up in response to Marceline and deep down he knew her answer would never come by way of a coherent sentence. The jumble she threw his way on the way out the door had no meaning to him. It didn't need it. A barrier forced between them by way of the slamming door said enough that she could not.

Marco lingered in the front room looking at that door until he was able to pull his gaze downwards to Abraham's discarded bag. Coincidence more than conscious effort found him mimicking the path they'd walked together. He could imagine where he'd found the gun in hazy memory just a short distance from where Abraham had shrugged off his bag. A splatter of bloodstains started the trail between them. It wasn't a bad shot, if Marco had any room at all to judge. Not a bad angle, or so he thought looking from the stain to the kitchen corner Katelynne had peeked around. No shortage of time to line up. She knew more than him. If she'd wanted him dead...it was hard to say. A wound could have been her purpose from the start, or resolve could have faltered on the trigger pull, or she was just less confident with a firearm than she projected.

The door creaked open in front of him. Enough time had passed that he couldn't make her out in the immediate distance. Marco looked to one of the living room chairs and back out to the porch's empty space; by the time he'd finished dragging it out for a more comfortable view, maybe he'd have thought of a better way to phrase his questions if...when. When Katelynne came back.

((Marco Hart Continued In say goodnight to the bad guy))
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador

Return to “The Manor House”