Joy

Public Library: Open to All by Definition

The area that feeds into Aurora High is representative of the ethnic and economic diversity that makes Seattle so unique. The architecture is varied, illustrating the growth and expansion that the city has undergone. Turning a corner can lead you from townhouses and apartments to quiet tree-lined streets of modest single-family homes, while the next turn might lead you to areas of much higher or lower property values. The unifying sight in the area is the herds of students who trudge to and from the school daily.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

"The Hanged Man..."

Passive? Relaxed? Sacrificing for the good of yourself or others? It sounded good for a rather morbid title, though Megan would have been more mad at the "passive" comment if it wasn't for Theo's tendency to be rather blunt or if it wasn't true. Oh well, at least Theo didn't say she was the embodiment of temptation or something.

"...Maybe. As long as you're not only saying that because you really think I'm an upside down Tower or something, I'm fine with it. But yeah, Hanged Man sounds good...though I guess I'm more of a "Hanged Woman'." Megan laughed a little. "Thanks, Mr. Magician...maybe. I don't really pay enough attention to get the whole social link symbolism besides the obvious ones like Sun."

Megan looked over to the corner where Theo was previously sitting and saw the other boy in his old spot. She bit her lower lip and said, "Sorry, I guess I kind of got your spot taken. You sure you're not a Hanged Man, too?"
Espi

Post by Espi »

Theo was feeling pretty good; Megan seemed happy with his assessment. Inwardly, Theo sighed.

"Oh, no, I'm not Magician; why do you think so? That's action, awareness and power." Theo laughed. "Not me at all."

"In all honesty, I'm probably just Hermit, which is basically solitude and, like, thinking and deliberation. I think that suits me a lot more."

Theo wanted to go on for a bit (Yes, because rambling is so fun to listen to! but he finally noticed what Megan had said. He turned in confusion, and saw the other boy sitting in his seat.

"Wait, that guy took my seat? Aw man!" Theo groaned. "Should I ask him for the seat again?" Of course you should! Conflicting with others always ends well for you! "I was kind of reading there."

He paused, then took a tentative step towards the boy, but didn't speak.
Riki

Post by Riki »

Tarot? Persona? Joachim wasn't sure what all these terms meant. Persona was some video game, that was what Joachim knew. But beyond that? Nothing. Whatever, the boy seemed rather euphoric about this conversation. Joachim felt that there will be a lot of terms he won't understand.

Social link. Tarot motif. Exactly, unknown terms for Joachim. He rolled his eyes, disappointed. There was no fun in listening to some people rambling about some obscure topic. The other boy replied to Megan's question with an explanation that motifs are more about the situation and not about the person. Major Arcana. Great, new words. Megan was apparently a hanged man or something. Someone passive, calm and all that. At this point, Joachim became curious. What... thing he would be? The both of them rambled on about magicians and hermits. Apparently tarot cards.

Unfortunately, they noticed that Joachim claimed the boy's place. He shouldn't be angry, after all: You snooze, you lose. The boy took a step forward, and Joachim reacted quickly.

"Hm.... I wonder what I would be in that... Tarot arcana... thing."

He cocked an eyebrow, hoping that this question will distract them.
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎵 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎵 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
||Selection|Clicks|Lonely|
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
O G042 Aileen Aurora Abdallah - Pair of MMA Gloves, Golf Club & Table Leg -
B059 David Zimmer - Sabre -
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Espi

Post by Espi »

[[Feel free to butt in at some point in this conversation, it's a massive ramble.
Also, Skipping Approved by JillSandwich.]]

"Oh, uh, you don't know Tarot?" Theo asked, distracted by the question. Jumping on an opportunity to explain his favorite video game, Theo began explaining his favorite video game.

Wait, why am I explaining this? He probably doesn't care!

"Well, Persona is a JRPG (Japanese Role-Playing-Game, with a turn-based combat system and stats). It's a spinoff of Atlus' series "Shin Megami Tensei", and it's most well-known for Persona 3 and 4.

"Persona has a sort of two-pronged game system; you have your combat system, which is JRPG, where your characters fight in the TV World, which is like the collective unconscious from Jung; it basically represents human's inner thoughts on a whole.

"Your characters are just ordinary high school students in Japan, who decide to investigate these murders that happen." At this point, Theo is really getting into it, gesturing with his hands.

"So your main character Yu (Y-U) is a new transfer student who moves into town with his uncle and young cousin Nanako. And he ends up in this thing called the Velvet Room, which is pretty much connected to his mind, and apparently is supposed to help you on his journey.

I am so off-topic now.

"So you find you can enter this TV World, and you meet this bear-creature calling itself Teddie, and you learn that the murder victims are being thrown into the TV, then they get trapped in an aspect of their psyche that represents their inner thoughts, and then their Shadow appears.

"And then the Shadow reveals the person's inner thoughts and rags on at them until they deny that it is really a part of them (which it is, according to Jungian theory), at which point it transforms into a horrid monster by absorbing lesser Shadows in the area, which results in it growing so powerful it starts trying to kill the host, who is knocked out by the process.

"That kills the first two victims, but the main character Yu, when he takes a friend named Yosuke into the TV World to investigate (he and another friend named Chie already fell in by accident, when they met Teddie), he summons a Persona, Izanagi, to defend himself from the random Shadows, and defeats Yosuke's Shadow when that appears.

"Personas are basically your mind's defense against Shadows. The main character Yu is the only one to start with it, but when a person manages to accept their Persona, it becomes a Persona, and that's how people fight in the game. The Personas are all mythological figures, by the way.

God, why do I get so easily sidetracked?!

"Oh, wait, were you asking about Tarot?" Theo finally realized that he was summarizing the plot rather than explaining Tarot. "Sorry, Tarot is basically a mysticism thing, where there's cards that are used to predict the future, like cartomancy. There's two types; Major (which are individual cards like Lovers, Strength, Justice and Moon) and Minor (which are basically regular playing cards, but with the suits being Cup Wand Pentacle and Sword, an extra number called Knight, Jacks are called Pages and Aces are low). So the combination of cards in a reading shows your future and stuff.

Finally, getting to the actual reason for talking!

"But basically, in Persona, you form bonds with people, which forms Social Links, which lets you make more powerful Personas. The Main character can use different ones, everyone else jut gets one. So each Persona and Social Link represents a Major Arcana, although a couple (like Fool, Hermit Judgment and World) don't work the same way.

"But anyways, each Tarot card has meaning, and each person has symbolic connections to it. For you, I'd have to know more about you, because I haven't talked with you a lot, but off the bat I'd say, Magician? That basically means initiative, power and knowledge if my memory serves me right. If you want a bit more on Tarot, look it up, it's really fascinating.

Yeeeaah, I think he's probably not interested at this point.

"Sorry if that was kind of long, but I wanted to make sure you understood," Theo scratched his chin and swallowed; his voice was kind of dry after the lecture. "Wait, what was I saying?"
Riki

Post by Riki »

And this was exactly why speaking with people always turns out bad. Joachim only asked a question, maybe it wasn't that easy as he thought, but the spoken essay he got in response was overwhelming.

Joachim was fairly certain that he only asked about tarot cards, but instead the boy talked about that game called Persona. Which was fine at first. Maybe Joachim wouldn't understand anything if he didn't have some background knowledge. However, the more the boy talked on, the more confused Joachim got. Something about teddy bears and TV worlds and... Joachim's jaw slowly dropped, his eyes reflecting his giant confusement. He glanced at Megan, wondering if he should ask her on weither this was the boy's normal behaviour.

Finally, he got to the tarot cards. Apparently something involving future reading. He tried to keep track of the different kinds of Arcana, but he lost track just as fast as he did with the game summary. Joachim sunk his face into his palms, murmuring something incoherent in them. It was one of the moments in which Joachim really would have liked to tell the other person to shut up. Well, it's his fault, what does he have to ask in the first place?

In the end, it seems that tarot cards have some symbols attached with them. Attributes, so to say. The boy concluded that Joachim was a magician. Something about power and knowledge. Joachim cracked a slight smile. It was a little compliment for him, which person wouldn't like to be called powerful or smart? However, he still wondered why exactly he chose this Arcana, if he didn't know him that much. Maybe it was a subtle hint? Well, Joachim just claimed the boy's spot, so said one might reference the fact that Joachim seemed to be a person to use the opportunity.

"May I ask you why you think I am... about power and intelligence?"
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎵 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎵 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Espi

Post by Espi »

Theo watched the boy lose focus during his lecture,  and felt like a dummy. At least he posed a question, so Theo doubted the guy was uninterested.

"Well, uh, your in a library, so you probably care about learning, especially since you were looking for a book for fun, right?" Theo yawned before continuing.

"And it's also about opportunity and initiative, which you kind of took with the seat. I'm not mad, though," Theo said quickly, holding up his hands in a hopefully calming gesture.

"But mostly, Magician is generally sort of the "default" card of sorts, for when you don't fit the others super-well. If you wanted, you could tell me a bit more about yourself as a person and maybe I could figure out a different answer?" Theo wanted to wring his hands, get out his nerves, but he doubted the boy would think highly of that.

So he shoved his hands into his pockets instead.

Jesus, why do I keep going at him?
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Megan could only shake her head as Prof. Wikipedia was talking the other guy's ear off as he rambled on about Persona. She herself didn't mind him rambling when it was certain topics they both liked, but doing this to the poor guy who only asked about tarot?

Theo, I love you, but you need to learn to censor yourself.

Clutching the books on tarot she was able to find, Megan rose and walked over to join the other guys. Maybe she could give a better expl- wait, no. What she needed to say was a simpler one.

"Sorry, you'll have to excuse Theo. When you ask about something he knows, he tends to get a little...overzealous." She set the books she was holding down on a nearby seat as she subtly cleared her throat. "Let's try this..."

"You know in those 'supernatural' movies and TV shows, when the main guy goes to a fortune teller that's located in a slightly suspicious part of town, and how they sometimes use a deck of cards to tell a fortune?" Megan dealed out cards in the air, as if she were starting up a round of blackjack. "Those cards are called 'tarot' cards. Basically how they work is that each card is meant to represent something - like, there's one for 'The Sun' that's supposed to mean happiness and success, or 'Fool', which is about starting a new journey ...I think."

Megan threw her hands up as she continued, "Honestly, I don't really pay attention to those things...but, yeah. Anyway, in this game called Persona, most of the characters have tarot motifs representing themselves, so that's what Theo was talking about. Sorry he kind of went on a tangent there." Megan glanced over at Theo and cracked a smile.

"But yeah," Megan continued, "Theo's better at these things than me, which is kind of why I'm glad I ran into him today. So if he says you're a Magician, then it's probably true." She nodded her head.

Deciding that this would be a good time to at least learn this guy's name, she introduced herself. "...Oh, and I'm Megan, by the way."
Riki

Post by Riki »

The boy's line of reasoning seemed logical for Joachim, although he was a bit insulted when the boy mentioned that the magician is a "default" card. It didn't show though, there was no reason to get upset. Also, associating humans with power in general wasn't something Joachim could greatly argue with. Then the boy proposed that Joachimc could tell more about himself, which might lead to a different card. Joachim pondered about if, and what, to say, but then Megan spoke up.

The boy's name was Theo. So Joachim was right, something with T, and Theo could be overzealous from time to time. Duly noted. Her explanation was far more coherent, and Joachim could actually grasp what Tarot meant this time. Megan added that Joachim could trust Theo's opinion.

Megan then introduced herself. Joachim already knew her name, but apparently she did not know his. Happens.

"Joachim Lovelace."

He offered his hand.
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Espi

Post by Espi »

((OOC: Eh, short post is short))

Theo smiled bashfully. And Megan said he was brutally honest!

The two introduced themselves, which made Theo feel a bit better.

Least he didn't run away screaming!

"Nice to meet you, Joe-Ah-Cheem." Theo was pretty sure he mispronounced it, so he tried again. "Uh, or is it Yo-ha-heem?" Theo felt like an ass, and probably looked it, too.

"So, you come here often?" Theo asked, trying to change the subject from 'Haha Theo is a dork'. Which was true, but still!
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

It was a little more formal than she expected with him including his last name, but still, at least Megan was sure of Joachim's name. Yeah, she was certain there was no way of pulling that one out of thin air. "Joachim..." she repeated to herself, doing her best to emulate his pronunciation.

"Yeah, okay..." Megan hesitantly reached and accepted the boy's hand. "Nice to meet you, Joachim."

And then Theo had to go and add in his dash of awkwardness by trying to pronounce this guy's name twice and then try and flip the conversation off of him. Oh well, it's not like Megan herself was the queen of conversation as well. Plus, she was making a joke off of his expense, so she could understand.

She waited to hear Joachim's response to Theo's question, hoping it won't get awkward for them again.
Riki

Post by Riki »

Theo mispronounced Joachim's name two times, which made the latter roll his eyes.

"Yo-ah-keem. Sure, it's weird when you look at how it's written, but..." A shrug. "my mother insisted on that."

Joachim scratched his neck and looked at the ceiling. He heard Megan saying a flowery phrase, but he was concentrated on Theo's question. Long time ago, he'd come here monthly, but it somehow stopped. After all, he had the school library, which also was far easier to reach most of the time. Nowadays, he'd only go here when he is stressed.

"Well, I do not visit this place that often, what about you?"
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Espi

Post by Espi »

"Oh, thanks. Sorry," Theo said, glad Joachim didn't seem that offended, by Theo's lack of speaking properly.

I think good, apparently.

It seemed Theo's question expertly diverted the attention from himself, so Theo was glad he'd done something right.

Brilliant. Now, as long as I don't say anything stupid, it'll be fine

"I go here sometimes, a lot on weekends. It's nicer than the school one, the lighting there hurts my eyes," Theo looked up to demonstrate his point. The lights here were much more soothing, far less fluorescent. "Plus there's a lot more books, which is nice."

Theo turned to Megan. "You don't come here a lot, right? I mean, I usually don't see you here."

What, am I playing keep-away with this conversation? Bounce it off of me and onto poor Megan?
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Megan shook her head as Theo deflected the question onto her. "Not really, no. I only ever go to the one in school if I need somewhere to chill out, but besides that, I kind of...well..." She shrugged and continued, "Libraries aren't my thing."

Megan thought against just stopping there and continued on, "...Not that I have a phobia of books and big words or anything. I like owning stuff instead of only having something on borrowed time, such as being lent books or something."

Oh yeah, then why was she there in the first place if she didn't like libraries? "Uhm," she said as she picked the tarot books up. "I'm just here because of an assignment. And I don't have internet right now, so I can't just use Google."

Then her mind went back to the previous conversation about tarot. "Oh!" Megan opened one of the books and thumbed through to the section on "Magician", and handed it to Joachim. "Here, maybe that'll explain more."

At that point, Megan decided that she had enough time to dawdle and should get started on that paper, so she said her goodbyes (along with informing the boys on which section that book came from so they could put it back), and left to find an open computer.

((Megan Emerson continued in Shinin'))
Riki

Post by Riki »

Theo's point of the lighting may be fair, but Joachim didn't really care about it, still he listened to his explanation for courtesy's sake. Then he asked if Megan was here often. Joachim thought that it wasn't the case. If Theo and Megan were friends due to their love of books, they would know when they could meet each other in a library like this. Since Theo didn't know if Megan was coming here often, Joachim assumed that they didn't share a passion about books, and thus Megan wouldn't visit a library often.

Megan's reply didn't leave much for Joachim's assumption expect a little reminder that some people still buy the stuff they like. Either way, she was about to leave for an assignement, but before she got up and left for a computer, she gave the tarot book to Joachim, who quickly glanced over the page she opened for him.

"It appears I have found something to read... Would you like your spot back?"
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Espi

Post by Espi »

"Oh, uh," Theo paused. "Yes, I would," He said, and smiled at Yo-ah-keem. "Thanks. I guess I'll see you at school later, then."

Theo circled the boy, and sat down in the windowsill. He flipped open his book, searching for the page number, and then he lost himself in the pages, completely unaware of his surroundings.

It was a good book, but he didn't quite finish it over the next couple of hours; there were still a few pages.

It was only when it got dark that he looked up at the dimming light and decided to return home.

[[Theodore Fletcher's story continues in Wiping All Out]]

Return to “The Neighborhood”