frens is when you have a bud :)

unfortunately these might not be good frens :( [planning/relationship thread]

This board allows for discussion of and planning related to Second Chances, currently preparing for its third version.
almostinhuman

frens is when you have a bud :)

Post by almostinhuman »

Here we go, got profiles for two of these kiddos done so I'm gonna update the thread. If you're posting here later note that having a relationship with one of them probably means having at least some connection to the other.

Heading for the island:
Ingrid Wilde- Eldest daughter of five and coming from a troubled home life, Ingrid is intensely driven to succeed in life and secure a better future for herself. She's a straight-A student and a talented member of the swim team, and rarely seems to be idle, often throwing herself from one productive task to the next. She practically runs their home in place of their borderline-absentee father and ailing mother, taking care of her four younger siblings and trying to keep them moving forward and out of trouble. She outwardly seems unflappable and reliable, someone others can count on to get things done. Unfortunately, she's profoundly tactless and critical, never wasting an opportunity to let people know how little she thinks of them, and thus attracts a lot of ire from her peers. Inwardly, she's a rigid perfectionist who gets intensely frustrated when things don't go her way, and is perhaps not dealing with the stress of her unhappy home life and strained familial relationships nearly as well as she appears to at first blush.
[+] art
ImageImage
[+] relationships
Juliette Sargent- "I vibe with her. I think."
Austin Greene- "He's an asshole, but he's family. Wish he'd learn to fucking listen to me."
Mercy Ames- "She seems... fine?"
Sayuna Lewis- "Kinda wish she'd stop coming around here."
BB Gunnerson- "I'm not annoyed, okay? Like I'm fucking not... but"
Sofia Chiles- "Fuckin' cowgirl or whatever. Sick of her."
Aditi Sharma- "Tried dating her once. Boy was that a fucking mistake."
Olivia Fischer- "Honestly kinda pathetic. Grow a goddamn pair."
Marco Volke- "He's a pest."
Emil Van Zandt - "Had enough of this guy in my house, thanks."

Staying home:
Austin Greene- Ingrid's younger stepbrother, though only by seven months. Very much Ingrid's opposite in a lot of ways, the pressures that fueled Ingrid to march forward seem to have left him stuck in a bit of a rut. He's an academic underachiever and largely seems rudderless on where to go next in life. He's moody and bitter, holding petty little grudges and bristling furiously at nearly any slight, but also deeply insecure and desperate for approval. To those who can get close, he's a surprisingly warm, loyal and dedicated friend, if a bit clingy and needy at times. In his dating life, conversely, prone to occasional meaningless flings or brief casual relationships with other boys, due to past bad experiences that leave him leery of anything too romantic or long-term. Plays bass guitar in a little garage band with two of his friends that he's quite invested in, enjoys long RPGs and horror novels, and spends a great deal of his time drawing any number of subjects in one of his many sketchbooks.
[+] art
ImageImage
[+] relationships
Noah Davis- "Love this cowpoke. Gotta work on that self-esteem, though."
Sayuna Lewis- "Probably the only one between us three with any actual talent."
Jonathan Gulley- "A good buddy. Also good for a little more than that ;)."
BB Gunnerson- "Better with a bass than me, to be honest. Cool to hang with."
Emil Van Zandt- "Dunno why people give him shit. He's fun!"
Juliette Sargent- "She's really... nice? I dunno that we're friends, but..."
Sofia Chiles- "We don't get along... but she's not all bad."
Ingrid Wilde- "Why does she hate me..."
Marco Volke- "So goddamn annoying."

I'mma stick these two in this folder until I've decided if I'm submitting one or both or neither of them lol.
[+] for later
May or may not appear at all (probably at least one of them will, and will head for the island if they do):
Nadine Flores- Mild-mannered and asocial. Huge nerd with niche hobbies and interests and mostly only interacts with people in those circles. Extremely bright student, particularly in history.
[+] art
ImageImage
[+] relationships

Corbin Azinger- JROTC kid from a Christian and conservative family. Judgemental and rigid, and prone to butting heads over even mild divisions in opinions; by contrast, a fairly loyal and dependable friend among fellow JROTC kids. Secretly gay and deeply ashamed of it.
[+] art
ImageImage
[+] relationships
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

Ingrid:

BB is possibly really annoying to her, as someone who has a lot of academic success off the back of not a whole lot of work, and who takes things less seriously/sometimes lets her sense of humor get away from her.

Juliette is also driven. Not sporty at all really, but she's pretty stubborn in her own way, which is largely being hard to rattle—can likely put up with Ingrid and won't criticize her in ways she doesn't want to hear, so maybe they sorta get along?

Sofia is like athletic but not sporty, and mean/critical are not things she vibes with—she'll throw meanness right back. Feel like they'd rub each other wrong and butt heads.

Austin:

BB is also into art and in a band probably. Her music is great music, though, see if you hook up the amp just so you can make a feedback loop and just make the audience listen to speaker hiss for twenty minutes. Politically progressive, can be a little barbed in her own way but seems like she might be a solid friend here, very loyal to friends.

Juliette is probably very sympathetic towards Austin and his obvious struggles—she's someone who feels for others who have trouble with self control because even though she doesn't, she has to exercise it all the time. Likely nice to him, possibly inexplicably so from his perspective.

Sofia also gets angry sometimes, and even though there's not really anything that seems like it'd make them hate each other, I think it'd probably just take one bad day for them to be glaring at each other. On the otehr hand, if anyone's like bullying Austin or anything, she'll take his side instantly even if she doesn't like him, then go right back to not liking him.

Nadine:

Maybe casual friends with BB, possibly have become more distant over the years? BB hangs with nerds especially in middle school but isn't quite one herself per se, digs music a ton though and if Nadine still plays sax BB thinks that's cool.

Juliette is likely relatively tolerable for Nadine to be around because she's got good emotional IQ and can read and respect "Leave me alone" signs while making it clear she's doing it to respect wishes and not out of apathy. Might even be okay study buddies.

Sofia would probably never interact with Nadine in a major way.

Corbin:

BB's pretty progressive and would definitely get into it with him over politics, probably in a pretty condescending manner. Likely do not care for each other!

Juliette is hard to rattle, and while she wouldn't be close to him because he frankly sounds like a social liability, she'd also not be unkind to him or really squabble with him about anything.

Sofia is, despite her best efforts, far too European to really understand what Corbin has going on politically, but maybe that means less to bicker over? She also thinks the outdoors and guns are cool, so that's something.
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Ren and Nadine might be friends! Ren likes to hear about other people's niche interests--this is true even if they don't actually share that niche interest, but it's especially true if the interest *is* shared. They're both really good students who particularly like history to the point of thinking about going into academia for it (going off of og!Nadine's profile), so that might be a connection point?

Mercy's attitude towards Ingrid would probably be very very ?????? but in short: Ingrid probably reminds Mercy of herself, but not in the way that most people remind Mercy of herself--they can both be critical and have high standards for themselves and others. Mercy's probably kinda envious of the fact that Ingrid actually reaches her own high standards, and if Ingrid's criticism of Mercy resembles the criticism that Mercy doles out to herself, she could strike a nerve. So, a mixture of respect, dislike, envy, and wanting-approval-but-actually-I'm-stupid-for-wanting-your-approval-if-anything-I'm-afraid-that-I'm-too-much-like-you. Or something.
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

MurderWeasel wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:09 am Ingrid:

BB is possibly really annoying to her, as someone who has a lot of academic success off the back of not a whole lot of work, and who takes things less seriously/sometimes lets her sense of humor get away from her.

Juliette is also driven. Not sporty at all really, but she's pretty stubborn in her own way, which is largely being hard to rattle—can likely put up with Ingrid and won't criticize her in ways she doesn't want to hear, so maybe they sorta get along?

Sofia is like athletic but not sporty, and mean/critical are not things she vibes with—she'll throw meanness right back. Feel like they'd rub each other wrong and butt heads.

Austin:

BB is also into art and in a band probably. Her music is great music, though, see if you hook up the amp just so you can make a feedback loop and just make the audience listen to speaker hiss for twenty minutes. Politically progressive, can be a little barbed in her own way but seems like she might be a solid friend here, very loyal to friends.

Juliette is probably very sympathetic towards Austin and his obvious struggles—she's someone who feels for others who have trouble with self control because even though she doesn't, she has to exercise it all the time. Likely nice to him, possibly inexplicably so from his perspective.

Sofia also gets angry sometimes, and even though there's not really anything that seems like it'd make them hate each other, I think it'd probably just take one bad day for them to be glaring at each other. On the otehr hand, if anyone's like bullying Austin or anything, she'll take his side instantly even if she doesn't like him, then go right back to not liking him.

Nadine:

Maybe casual friends with BB, possibly have become more distant over the years? BB hangs with nerds especially in middle school but isn't quite one herself per se, digs music a ton though and if Nadine still plays sax BB thinks that's cool.

Juliette is likely relatively tolerable for Nadine to be around because she's got good emotional IQ and can read and respect "Leave me alone" signs while making it clear she's doing it to respect wishes and not out of apathy. Might even be okay study buddies.

Sofia would probably never interact with Nadine in a major way.

Corbin:

BB's pretty progressive and would definitely get into it with him over politics, probably in a pretty condescending manner. Likely do not care for each other!

Juliette is hard to rattle, and while she wouldn't be close to him because he frankly sounds like a social liability, she'd also not be unkind to him or really squabble with him about anything.

Sofia is, despite her best efforts, far too European to really understand what Corbin has going on politically, but maybe that means less to bicker over? She also thinks the outdoors and guns are cool, so that's something.
Zetsu wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:41 am Ren and Nadine might be friends! Ren likes to hear about other people's niche interests--this is true even if they don't actually share that niche interest, but it's especially true if the interest *is* shared. They're both really good students who particularly like history to the point of thinking about going into academia for it (going off of og!Nadine's profile), so that might be a connection point?

Mercy's attitude towards Ingrid would probably be very very ?????? but in short: Ingrid probably reminds Mercy of herself, but not in the way that most people remind Mercy of herself--they can both be critical and have high standards for themselves and others. Mercy's probably kinda envious of the fact that Ingrid actually reaches her own high standards, and if Ingrid's criticism of Mercy resembles the criticism that Mercy doles out to herself, she could strike a nerve. So, a mixture of respect, dislike, envy, and wanting-approval-but-actually-I'm-stupid-for-wanting-your-approval-if-anything-I'm-afraid-that-I'm-too-much-like-you. Or something.
All sounds good to me gang. I'll get to updating the relationship lists in a bit (and adding Ingrid's new profile too)
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Alrighty, thread updated with submitted profiles and added relationships! Sticking Nadine and Corbin in a spoiler until I decide what I'm doing with them lol
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Cicadan

Post by Cicadan »

we friens
[+] Ingrid
  • Okay hear me out I got some high concept bullshit schemes here: Sayuna and Ingrid as mutual high academic acheivers were study buddies in shared classes for a while. Sayuna develops a crush on Ingrid (this is before she's super close friends with Austin- that awkwardness will come into play later) and asks her out. The problem with this relationship would reveal itself pretty quick on: Sayuna is emotionally immature and clingy and Ingrid would just not have the time for Sayuna's need for constant affection and emotional validation. Sayuna probably would be fairly endearing at first but it just couldn't last, so like, I imagine at some point Ingrid will pretty bluntly tell Sayuna her issues to her face and why the relationship just can't work out.

Sayuna would take it fairly gracefully (outwardly, inwardly she probably replays Ingrid telling her off to her face at night and can't sleep because of it sometimes even years later) and there's a chance they could remain on functional terms after the fact, with like, a number of potential complications: Sayuna would then become Austin's friend and seem to prefer his company, which preys on the difficult relationship Ingrid and Austin have in the home. If Sayuna hangs around often enough through her friendship with Austin she might be on good terms with some of the younger siblings too and help out from time to time with teaching them homework and stuff (Sayuna's own sister struggling academically she'd be inclined to be sympathetic and help out) and that might rub Ingrid the wrong way- someone else coming into her home and doing her job but only when its convenient and not having to deal with the full difficulty of it like she has to. Sayuna getting scholarships and stuff due to her academic performance as opposed to Ingrid who's going to have to deal with a far larger load of student loans- even though they both work the same amount of hard Sayuna's relative privelige and free time might also rub Ingrid the wrong way.

So like, even though Ingrid might intellectually understand that Sayuna isn't a bad person and could be a good friend there's a lot of reasons for Ingrid to have issues with and resentment towards her ex, while Sayuna in turn continues to feel bad about how it all ended and feels awkward around Ingrid even while she's close enough to the family through Austin to continue being around regularly. Like, I dunno where all those dynamics could possibly fall, but it looks like a thorny mess of conflicting emotions that might be really fun to hash out and make a full-fledged thing.
  • Far more straightforward: Ingrid can probably see through Olivia's purposely pathetic demureness and probably told Olivia to grow a spine at some point while they were also working together in class as fellow high-acheiving academics. Olivia would promptly become more reluctant to engage with Ingrid again in any setting and generally avoidant, which would confirm Ingrid's reasons to dislike her as a fake and a brown noser, etc.
[+] Austin
  • Sayuna and Austin's reasons for getting along, I think, are that they're both very emotionally dependent people so they can probably form a positive feedback loop of building each other up and giving each other the loyalty and validation each desperately needs. Sayuna being one of those sorts of friends that can almost inspire you with their talent instead of making you feel worse because of it, the sort of friend any depressed underacheiver needs in their life (I relate, etc). Sayuna is more motivated and on the ball in this iteration of herself compared to Supers, so she's probably a fully operational member of the band who stays on top of whatever she needs to do, so her dedication to Austin's pet project probably also endears her to him further. That, and the mutual interest in horror genre stuff. Austin could be the person who gives Sayuna most of the recommendations that slip through her own research.

He has full rights to dunk on Sayuna for ever trying to date Ingrid if we go through with that, too. She'll take it in good humor (and cry inside, etc).
TBH I'm too lazy to put in effort for the other two if their status is uncertain, but I'll def give anyone else you put up a look down the line!
Upcoming:

Second Chances V3 (deconreconfirmed):
Relations Thread!
Olivia Fischer (original handler, Maraoone)
Memories: 1 Pregame: 1
Faith Marshal-Mackenzie (original handler, Frozen Smoke)
Memories: 1 Pregame: 1
Sayuna Lewis (original handler, Cicada)
Princess McQuillan (original handler, Cicada)
Pregame: 1
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Cicadan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:16 am we friens
[+] Ingrid
  • Okay hear me out I got some high concept bullshit schemes here: Sayuna and Ingrid as mutual high academic acheivers were study buddies in shared classes for a while. Sayuna develops a crush on Ingrid (this is before she's super close friends with Austin- that awkwardness will come into play later) and asks her out. The problem with this relationship would reveal itself pretty quick on: Sayuna is emotionally immature and clingy and Ingrid would just not have the time for Sayuna's need for constant affection and emotional validation. Sayuna probably would be fairly endearing at first but it just couldn't last, so like, I imagine at some point Ingrid will pretty bluntly tell Sayuna her issues to her face and why the relationship just can't work out.

Sayuna would take it fairly gracefully (outwardly, inwardly she probably replays Ingrid telling her off to her face at night and can't sleep because of it sometimes even years later) and there's a chance they could remain on functional terms after the fact, with like, a number of potential complications: Sayuna would then become Austin's friend and seem to prefer his company, which preys on the difficult relationship Ingrid and Austin have in the home. If Sayuna hangs around often enough through her friendship with Austin she might be on good terms with some of the younger siblings too and help out from time to time with teaching them homework and stuff (Sayuna's own sister struggling academically she'd be inclined to be sympathetic and help out) and that might rub Ingrid the wrong way- someone else coming into her home and doing her job but only when its convenient and not having to deal with the full difficulty of it like she has to. Sayuna getting scholarships and stuff due to her academic performance as opposed to Ingrid who's going to have to deal with a far larger load of student loans- even though they both work the same amount of hard Sayuna's relative privelige and free time might also rub Ingrid the wrong way.

So like, even though Ingrid might intellectually understand that Sayuna isn't a bad person and could be a good friend there's a lot of reasons for Ingrid to have issues with and resentment towards her ex, while Sayuna in turn continues to feel bad about how it all ended and feels awkward around Ingrid even while she's close enough to the family through Austin to continue being around regularly. Like, I dunno where all those dynamics could possibly fall, but it looks like a thorny mess of conflicting emotions that might be really fun to hash out and make a full-fledged thing.
  • Far more straightforward: Ingrid can probably see through Olivia's purposely pathetic demureness and probably told Olivia to grow a spine at some point while they were also working together in class as fellow high-acheiving academics. Olivia would promptly become more reluctant to engage with Ingrid again in any setting and generally avoidant, which would confirm Ingrid's reasons to dislike her as a fake and a brown noser, etc.
[+] Austin
  • Sayuna and Austin's reasons for getting along, I think, are that they're both very emotionally dependent people so they can probably form a positive feedback loop of building each other up and giving each other the loyalty and validation each desperately needs. Sayuna being one of those sorts of friends that can almost inspire you with their talent instead of making you feel worse because of it, the sort of friend any depressed underacheiver needs in their life (I relate, etc). Sayuna is more motivated and on the ball in this iteration of herself compared to Supers, so she's probably a fully operational member of the band who stays on top of whatever she needs to do, so her dedication to Austin's pet project probably also endears her to him further. That, and the mutual interest in horror genre stuff. Austin could be the person who gives Sayuna most of the recommendations that slip through her own research.

He has full rights to dunk on Sayuna for ever trying to date Ingrid if we go through with that, too. She'll take it in good humor (and cry inside, etc).
TBH I'm too lazy to put in effort for the other two if their status is uncertain, but I'll def give anyone else you put up a look down the line!
Ah man, I super dig what you're going for yeah. Let's go for it.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi