Gather In The Ashes

Morning of Day 3, open thread

The Compound consists of the upper, above ground levels of the titular structure. The outer walls of The Compound evoke brutalist architecture, being composed primarily of concrete, steel, and glass. The building itself is enormous, and box-like in shape, with two floors above ground and two floors below ground. Despite the road, parking lot, and fence surrounding The Compound all showing signs of age, the structure itself appears to be completely intact. On the roof of the structure are an enormous exhaust pipe and a very large loudspeaker, the latter of which can be heard across nearly the whole arena when it is turned on, and is nearly deafening up close.

Inside, The Compound's floors all consist of the same layout, with hallways running around the perimeter of the building surrounding its central staircase, with rooms branching outwards from these hallways and facing the outer edges of the building. During the day, the interior of The Compound is dimly lit, courtesy of the glass windows common to every outside-facing room. At night it is completely dark inside, requiring the use of a flashlight for the average person to be able to see.

Much of the furnishings of The Compound have been moved around and overturned to create cover within the rooms and hallways, but cursory examination shows the most common furnishings being cabinets, flat metallic tables, and plastic chairs. Discerning the purpose of most of The Compound's above ground rooms is difficult, but flat countertops with fume hoods above them are a frequent sight, and some rooms (primarily on the building's west side) possess beds and were seemingly designed for habitation. Shards of glass from shattered glassware and scattered, broken medical equipment is common in The Compound's rooms, but not the hallways.

THREAD LIMIT: 2

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

Applesintime
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Applesintime »

Stephen stood in the doorway, two duffel bags slung over his shoulder in addition to the one he wore on his back.

"I found, uh, Mercedes, Lily, Kyle and Lincoln's orb. All dead. Jesus Christ. I managed to get Lily and Mercedes' bags, though." Setting them down on the floor, he sighed. "Fucking furries."
[+] Current Kids
SOTF U
P011: Charlotte "Charlie" Vandermeyer - Road Flares (x10) + BluRay Copy of John Carpenter's The Thing - is bemoaning the goddamn MREs in Beasts All Over the Shop
[+] Future Kids
Second Chances
Anna Hitchins has some totes cool ideas!

SOTF-TV
John MacMillan Jr. doesn't have much to say.
[+] Past Kids
SOTF International
O06: Deirbhile Callahan - 50 Valentines Cards - "This is my fucking life. It’s mine to live. It’s mine to fucking take, too." She resisted in Slán Abhaile. [24/29]
Intl: 1 2 3

SOTF-TV V3
BC09: Gregory Miller - Bolas - "Why?" He landed in splat. [17/81]
Sandbox: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

BC04: Anthony Golden - Fake Nautical Mask - The so-called hero. He met his fate in All The World's a Stage. [4/81]
Memories: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

SOTF Supers
S009: Stephen Sanders - Osteokinesis - "Nobody's going to kill just because furries told us to." He went home. - Kids Like You Should Be Burning in Hell.
Supers: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Aftermath: 1 2
Salic

Post by Salic »

When Emily affirmed that she was ready, Claudia tugged on the collar as hard as she could. It took a solid few seconds, but eventually the sound of the rending of metal pierced the sound of the room. Not long after, a clattering sound indicated that the collar was no more. Emily was free.

As this was happening, Steve came up from the stairs, two bags in hand. She couldn’t suppress her grin. So the bastards couldn’t do anything to them now, and they had supplies to get them out of this godforsaken desert. God, the feeling was good.

This was, of course, dampened whenever she heard the source of their stuff. Lily, Kyle, Mercedes, and Lincoln were all dead downstairs? What the fuck happened? All of it must’ve taken place while they were sawing, because they weren’t on the announcements this morning. Claudia paled slightly, hoping that they wouldn’t have to see the bodies like Steve did.

“Jesus fuck... Steve, you feeling alright?”
[+] PRESENT
SECOND CHANCES V3
Mikki Swift - "With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bree Jones - "The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them." - Queen Victoria
Serena Waters - "You cannot make a revolution in white gloves." - Vladimir Lenin
[+] PAST
BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
[ERROR: RELATIONSHIP THREAD UNAVAILABLE.]
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE.]
B1: Yoshio Akamatsu - "Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” - Lyndon B. Johnson
Assigned Weapon: Sickle
Location: The die was cast in Farm Storage (H6) - Iacta Alea Est
Pregame History: 1
In-Game History: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
B7: Yoshitoki Kuninobu - "When the sword of rebellion is drawn, the sheath must be thrown away." - John Copley
Assigned Weapon: Czechoslovakian CZ 75 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Location: He took the fall for an enemy in Residential Area (H/I8) - Peace Village: Brother's Blood
In-Game History: 1 - 2 -

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker
S027: Claudia Salgado - "The optimist may fail, but the pessimist already begins failing." - Juscelino Kubitschek
Assigned Weapon: [ERROR: WEAPON UNAVAILABLE.]
Gift: Flashbang
Location: She stared death in the face in The Outskirts - Out Run
Pregame History: 1 - 2
In-Game History: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

SOTF-U V1:
Relationship Thread
P003: Elizabeth Rodney - ”I demolish my bridges behind me... then there is no choice but to move forward.” - Fridtjof Nansen
Assigned Weapon: Obedience to Authority + Altor Survival Pistol
Location: She met up with her beloveds in The Powerhouse - Burning Down the House
Pregame History: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
In-game History: 1
[+] FUTURE
SOTF-TV V4:
Christian Graf von Helder - “I’ll be a big noise with all the big boys!” - Peter Gabriel
Francisco Ordaz Santander - ”I am responsible only to God and history.” - Francisco Franco

INTERMISSIONS:
Sophia Mirowski - "Be strong in the belief that life is wonderful." - Valery Sablin
Lee Iker
Stanley Mirowski - "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Nietzsche

SOTF-SUPERS V2:
Kendra Kuchel - ”If we value so highly the dignity of life, how can we not also value the dignity of death? No death may be called futile.” - Yukio Mishima
Nichelle Damen - ”All our knowledge- past, present, and future- is nothing compared to what we will never know.” - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2:
Kazimierz Krzyzewski - ”At dawn it is not just the night that dies, it is man and his becoming, and the warm blood staining the pavement is a word that is just starting.” - Ricardo Mannerini
Raqel Poghosyan
Skraal
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by Skraal »

Emily opened her eyes, startled to see Stephen already back with two bags in tow. She put a hand to her neck, confirming that the collar was in fact, gone. For the first time since she had woken up in this place, she felt a glimmer of hope rising inside of her. It was too soon to celebrate their safety, she knew, but the loss of her explosive leash meant that getting out of here (and getting a refill of her medication) was actually a possibility.

For now, however, the priority was Stephen. Emily didn't know what had transpired in the levels below, but whatever he had seen had shaken him up pretty badly. She knew that anything she could say here would be pretty redundant, and not likely to make him feel better anyway, but after what happened with Raja she didn't want to just stand by and do nothing. Anything could have happened down there, and for all they knew Stephen could be badly injured without showing it. More importantly, as guilty as the thought made her feel, Emily knew that the more attention directed to Stephen the fewer awkward would be directed at her, at least in the short term. She followed after Claudia's question by adding a couple of her own.

"What happened down there? Are you hurt?"
[+] Characters
The Program V2
Josephine "Josie" Luu - Current Status: DECEASED

SOTF-TV 2
Søren Rosendahl - Current Status: DECEASED

Second Chances 2
Soren Rosendahl - Current Status: DECEASED
Cody Jenkins - Current Status: DECEASED

The Program V3
Samuel Rosen - Current Status: DECEASED

SOTF-TV 3
Luciano Ascencio (adopted from UnmaskedMountain) - Current Status: DECEASED

SOTF International
Clara Micallef - Current Status: In Thread

SOTF Supers
Mei-Ling "Emily" Chou - Current Status: DECEASED

New Battle Royale AU
Yuko Sakaki - Current Status: DECEASED

SOTF Cyber
Nicholas Cameron - Current Status: In Thread
Applesintime

Post by Applesintime »

"Yeah, I'm, uh, I'm fine." At least, Stephen wasn't hurt. The images still lingered in his mind, though. And the smell. God, the smell. "They'd been dead for... not too long, but the fight was far from over. I think uh... Mercedes fried Lily and Kyle, but one of them managed to kill her and Lincoln before they died. Kyle's bag was fucked and Lincoln was just his orb. Maybe the body was around, but I didn't want to... stay any longer than I had to. I didn't see Mercedes' thing she got from the furries, so maybe someone else grabbed it." He hadn't been looking, honestly. He'd just beelined to the bags, grabbed them, and then hauled ass. He felt like some pillager, disturbing the dead to loot them for their valuables.

But they hadn't died in vain. Their bags meant that they could all get out of here. It was a small consolation, but all the death around here had combined together to grant life to the three stood here.

"I think, uh," he began, glancing between his collarless companions, "we go at night. They'll probably be sleeping. Or y'know, it's dark so we'll be able to hide easier. Just follow the road leading out of here, because it has to lead to somewhere." It wasn't much of a plan. Maybe they'd be found. Maybe they'd walk until they died from thirst.

But they would die free.
[+] Current Kids
SOTF U
P011: Charlotte "Charlie" Vandermeyer - Road Flares (x10) + BluRay Copy of John Carpenter's The Thing - is bemoaning the goddamn MREs in Beasts All Over the Shop
[+] Future Kids
Second Chances

SOTF-TV
[+] Past Kids
SOTF International
O06: Deirbhile Callahan - 50 Valentines Cards - "This is my fucking life. It’s mine to live. It’s mine to fucking take, too." She resisted in Slán Abhaile. [24/29]

SOTF-TV V3

BC04: Anthony Golden - Fake Nautical Mask - The so-called hero. He met his fate in All The World's a Stage. [4/81]
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

SOTF Supers
S009: Stephen Sanders - Osteokinesis - "Nobody's going to kill just because furries told us to." He went home. - Kids Like You Should Be Burning in Hell.
Salic

Post by Salic »

Claudia could only stare in horror at Steve's description of the bodies downstairs, thanking her lucky stars that she hadn't ended up like them. She had been given the opportunity to escape, to get out of here in something other than a casket, something that had been denied to those four downstairs. She couldn't squander this gift that had been given to them. Claudia would make sure that their deaths wouldn't go to waste. Claudia took the bag Steve held in his left hand. Claudia didn't know whose bag this was, but she'd make sure to put their stuff to good use.

"Going out at night? I'm down with that. Cameras'll probably have a hard time seeing us walk out that way," she responded, agreeing with Steve's logic. If the cameras caught them wandering out of the arena during the daytime their captors could send a hit squad after them or something. It was best to try to use the natural stealth nighttime provided them to their advantage.

"So do we just hunker down here for the rest of the day before making our play at, like, midnight or something? That the plan?" she asked, her eyes darting between Steve and Emily. She did not wait for an answer before digging her hand into her newfound bag. Her hand was shoveling around in there for a few moments before she pulled out a protein bar. The mere sight of it made her stomach explode with hungered growls, so she unwrapped it quickly and devoured it in under a minute. The taste of food, even shitty food, after having nothing for three days made her eyes start to mist up a little. She exhaled deeply.

"Fuck, that was good."

She walked away from her two companions and plopped down on the floor, her stained tank top flowing with the sudden light breeze as she did so. She stretched out a little before laying on her back, the soles of her feet facing out towards the great desert they would soon be traversing. It was at this point that she wished she still had her hat. It must've been lost on the bus when the masked fucks attacked, as she hadn't had it anywhere on her person or in her bag since. Her hands covering her eyes had to suffice for blocking out the sun.

"Feels good to lay down, you know? I feel like I've been doing nothing but walking and running around in circles since I got here. Plus we're gonna be doing some more walking tomorrow. Maybe this'll be the last real time I can lay down for a while."

Her entire journey throughout these last three days really had been nothing but a massive circle. She went to the compound, ways away from the compound, and then back again. Now, she was about to repeat step two, but this time it would be permanent. Claudia would never come back here. The masked freaks couldn't make her come back here. She'd die before she'd let them spirit her back here again. Would she ever be able to look at deserts the same after she left here? She couldn't say. That was probably the least of her concerns, though. All she had to worry about now was making sure they could actually get out of here before the kidnappers found out about it. No pressure. She gulped heavily. Their moment of truth was tomorrow. She had to spend every moment leading up to it preparing for it.

((Claudia Salgado continued elsewhere))
[+] PRESENT
SECOND CHANCES V3
Mikki Swift - "With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bree Jones - "The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them." - Queen Victoria
Serena Waters - "You cannot make a revolution in white gloves." - Vladimir Lenin
[+] PAST
BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
B1: Yoshio Akamatsu - "Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” - Lyndon B. Johnson
Assigned Weapon: Sickle
Location: The die was cast in Farm Storage (H6) - Iacta Alea Est
In-Game History: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
B7: Yoshitoki Kuninobu - "When the sword of rebellion is drawn, the sheath must be thrown away." - John Copley
Assigned Weapon: Czechoslovakian CZ 75 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Location: He took the fall for an enemy in Residential Area (H/I8) - Peace Village: Brother's Blood
In-Game History: 1 - 2 -

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker
S027: Claudia Salgado - "The optimist may fail, but the pessimist already begins failing." - Juscelino Kubitschek
Assigned Weapon: [ERROR: WEAPON UNAVAILABLE.]
Gift: Flashbang
Location: She stared death in the face in The Outskirts - Out Run
Pregame History: 1 - 2
In-Game History: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

SOTF-U V1:
Relationship Thread
P003: Elizabeth Rodney - ”I demolish my bridges behind me... then there is no choice but to move forward.” - Fridtjof Nansen
Assigned Weapon: Obedience to Authority + Altor Survival Pistol
Location: She met up with her beloveds in The Powerhouse - Burning Down the House
Pregame History: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
In-game History: 1
[+] FUTURE
SOTF-TV V4:
Christian Graf von Helder - “I’ll be a big noise with all the big boys!” - Peter Gabriel
Francisco Ordaz Santander - ”I am responsible only to God and history.” - Francisco Franco

INTERMISSIONS:
Sophia Mirowski - "Be strong in the belief that life is wonderful." - Valery Sablin
Lee Iker
Stanley Mirowski - "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Nietzsche

SOTF-SUPERS V2:
Kendra Kuchel - ”If we value so highly the dignity of life, how can we not also value the dignity of death? No death may be called futile.” - Yukio Mishima
Nichelle Damen - ”All our knowledge- past, present, and future- is nothing compared to what we will never know.” - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2:
Kazimierz Krzyzewski - ”At dawn it is not just the night that dies, it is man and his becoming, and the warm blood staining the pavement is a word that is just starting.” - Ricardo Mannerini
Raqel Poghosyan
Skraal
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by Skraal »

No matter how many times it happened, hearing the news of having lost even more of their classmates never got easier to take. So many people were just... gone now. Emily had lost every one of her few friends from back home, and many more people that she had never even gotten to know. She felt a pang of regret about how introverted she had been, spending so much of her time with books and her computer. The chances that she had to make friends with her classmates had simply been wasted, and no matter how much she wished for it, Emily would never get them back.

She watched silently as the other two spoke, reaching into the back and slowly pulling out another protein bar and staring at the wrapper. Despite how long it had been since she last ate, she still wasn't very hungry at all. Her stomach still hurt really badly, both from the stress and the withdrawal symptoms from her medication, and even something simple like this might have been difficult to keep down. Emily dropped the bar back into the bag and stepped away from it, taking a seat against the ruined remains of what used to be a wall.

Claudia had a good point. This would be the last time they would be able to rest until they finally made it out of here. Sitting down like this had made Emily painfully aware of how little sleep she had had over the past few days. Her arms and legs felt like they were made of lead, and her mind was starting to get a little cloudy from exhaustion. It would probably be better to wait a bit and settle out who was going to keep watch and all that stuff, but it wouldn't hurt to close her eyes for a little bit first. She wasn't going to sleep or anything, she just needed to give her eyes a little rest, and then she'd get back up and finish figuring out the plan with Claudia and Stephen.

Before she even knew what was going on, she had fallen completely asleep.

((Emily Chou continued in Icarus))
[+] Characters
The Program V2
Josephine "Josie" Luu - Current Status: DECEASED

SOTF-TV 2
Søren Rosendahl - Current Status: DECEASED

Second Chances 2
Soren Rosendahl - Current Status: DECEASED
Cody Jenkins - Current Status: DECEASED

The Program V3
Samuel Rosen - Current Status: DECEASED

SOTF-TV 3
Luciano Ascencio (adopted from UnmaskedMountain) - Current Status: DECEASED

SOTF International
Clara Micallef - Current Status: In Thread

SOTF Supers
Mei-Ling "Emily" Chou - Current Status: DECEASED

New Battle Royale AU
Yuko Sakaki - Current Status: DECEASED

SOTF Cyber
Nicholas Cameron - Current Status: In Thread
Applesintime

Post by Applesintime »

"Yeah."

"I'll take first watch. I don't think I could sleep after seeing three dead people. And, uh, Lincoln's orb."

"Didn't see his body, though. Wonder where that is."

((Stephen Sanders continued in Icarus))
[+] Current Kids
SOTF U
[+] Future Kids
Second Chances

SOTF-TV
[+] Past Kids
SOTF International

SOTF-TV V3

SOTF Supers

Return to “The Compound (Danger Zone)”