The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

Open, cafeteria

This board allows for roleplaying of anything in the lives of the class of National Summit Academy prior to the selection for The Program, from their births to the morning before their selection. Approved characters may be in up to two simultaneous threads in this section, and may be in one-shots no matter how many other current threads they're active in. NPCs may be in only one thread at a time, and are limited to ten posts here.
Laurels

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

Post by Laurels »

((Ambrose Lexington: Before))

"Ah, perfect."

Ambrose walked briskly to the open cafeteria table and pulled out one of the chairs. It wasn't the best place to sit and dine, something that there's no option for at a public school, but it was a good seat. Sure, it wasn't his pleasure to sit in a worn, plastic chair and sit at tables he was sure had entire generations of gum beneath, but he was sure it could build character.

Ambrose sat at the table, making sure there was no gum underneath to get stuck to his pants, and pulled in. He placed his lunchbox on the table and began to open it. Ambrose never bought lunch at school. It wasn't that he couldn't afford it, but he knew it would be lacking in nutritional value and quality. It was easier to ask his family's cook to prepare something.

Ambrose began to pull out the containers. A turkey sandwich with tomato, lettuce, and cheddar cheese on sourdough, a side salad with oil and vinegar dressing on the side, a bottle of iced tea, and a chocolate walnut brownie for dessert. Conchita had outdone herself. She had to be reminded to include all the food groups, though. But then again, he couldn't expect everything from someone of her station. Just that everything would be cooked properly and he wouldn't die from undercooked meat.

Ambrose carefully unwrapped the sandwich and took a bite. He wondered if any of his friends were nearby. It would be lousy to eat on his own when he was longing for company.
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
Aster
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Aster »

(Danielle Baumgartner, Before)

Danielle strolled through the cafeteria, clutching a tray of food to her chest. She'd already spent several minutes looking for Jacqueline or any of her other friends, to no avail As her search continued, she became painfully aware of how awkward she looked, wandering among the tables like a lost sheep. She supposed that her friends wouldn't mind if she sat with someone else for the day.

Her eyes scanned the cafeteria. There were still a couple unoccupied tables, though Danielle couldn’t stand eating alone. Her current choices of company, however, were less than ideal: a seat adjacent to a trio of rowdy freshmen, a spot at a table composed entirely of minorities, an open seat next to a Asian girl she vaguely recognized but vaguely disliked...and then her eyes set on a seat across from Ambrose Lexington. Their social circles overlapped, though they’d barely spoken a word to each other during their time at school. As unfamiliar as he was, Ambrose was nice from what Danielle had heard of him, and was already in good standing in her book. It was worth a shot.

Putting on her best smile, Danielle made a beeline for the seat. “Heey, Ambrose!” She chirped, easing herself into the chair and placing her tray down on the table. “What’s up?”
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

This was the awkward part. Dakota had–due to finding out she both liked and was good at cheerleading–become part of the "popular" crowd. It was awkward because she didn't consider herself one of the popular kids. This was because of a variety of reasons such as her race and social status but some of the girls were her good friends.

It was also awkward because she had to interact with people like Ambrose, who with his style of dress reinforced that old fifties stereotype of white America. The polo shirts, sweaters and shoes all added up. He represented the system. The one Dakota was stuck in. He acted like a gentleman sure, but only if he deemed you his equal. He did not view Dakota as his equal, she knew this and she knew why.

Unfortunately he was one of the popular kids. A group she was supposed to be a part of. Unfortunately he also knew her, and she had the feeling that if she chose not to sit with him it would be passed around the group. This was the political game she had to play now to ensure she had friends.

Taking a breath she mentally prepared herself for a conversation she didn't want to have. Ambrose was, as always, wearing his neat clean clothes. Dakota on the other hand was wearing old clothes. Her skinny jeans only looking fashionable because of their distressed look, but in truth they had been about a year ahead of the curve. Regardless she had to go sit down.

As she was making her way over another girl planted herself down at Ambrose's table. Dakota knew who Danielle Baumgartner was and she was friendly enough. Dakota didn't enjoy her company though.

Still Dakota sat herself down at the table and set about getting her salad out of her bag.

"Hey Ambrose, Danielle," She offered. "How're you guys?"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Ambrose looked up when he heard a girl's voice calling out to him. He smiled as she took a seat across from him.

"Danielle!" he said after ensuring he had no food in his mouth. "So good to see you today. How are you?"

Ambrose hadn't had much of a chance to speak with Danielle, but she was pretty cool as he knew her. A little intense at times, but that was good to have in certain situations. He was pleased she chose to join him for lunch today, and he was sure it would be worthwhile.

Another girl made her presence known. Dakota Hightower wasn't someone Ambrose would normally associate with. Granted, she was a cheerleader and he ran into her enough due to football, but he'd rather not have to spend too much time with her. Of course, he sure as hell wasn't going to make that apparent. He would treat her like any lady should be treated, and any lady like her would be pleased to be treated like.

"Hi, Dakota," he said. "I'm just enjoying lunch today and anticipating the next period. And you two?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Aster

Post by Aster »

“I’m doing great, thanks for asking!” She replied, smiling. Ambrose’s amicability sent waves of relief through Danielle. Maybe lunch wouldn’t be so lonely today after all.

Her smile strained ever-so-slightly as Dakota Hightower approached. Contrary to her last name, she didn’t seem particularly cool or badass. A small part of Danielle wondered how a lone wolf like her found herself in the popular crowd. Quirkiness aside, though, she still made better company than the likes of, say, Mina Mashall.

Ambrose was the first to greet her. Danielle took his speech as an opportunity to pop a chicken nugget in her mouth, sending a friendly nod Dakota’s way.

“I’m preparing for a physics test myself,” Danielle replied, letting out an exaggerated sigh. “Do either of you have Montrose this year?” She asked, glancing at the two.
Cicadan

Post by Cicadan »

((Jacqueline, hang ten))

If Dakota thought her fashion sense was lacking then the table's next arrival was a transplant from some ghetto on the other side of the world. Between questions and answers about classes and tests Miss Hastert inserted herself besides Danielle, across from Miss Hightower, diagonal to Mister Lexington. She had a lonely and forlorn fruit for lunch, a pitiful size apple that reflected her own skin and bones and paper self.

"Montrose is hard," Jacqueline offered sympathetically. "I was barely able to pass his class last year. There are times I could've cried from the strain." There hadn't been, of course, but a touch of exaggeration was the post by which others could feel better about their own relative success. Better to be breaking than broken.

"What's your next period, Ambrose? Wait, could it be... English?" One sort of educated guess was all she had under her belt. Jacqueline did truly try her best to keep the old brain whetted but the regular headaches took their toll. Indeed, Jacqueline needed an elbow to the table and a thumb to the temple that very moment. Subtle movements, of course, no point in having people worry about her. A peaceful lunch period with friends was all she was after, after that it would be back to the zombie shuffle of the daily grind. She settled in to listen.
Upcoming:

Second Chances V3 (deconreconfirmed):
Relations Thread!
Olivia Fischer (original handler, Maraoone)
Memories: 1 Pregame: 1
Faith Marshal-Mackenzie (original handler, Frozen Smoke)
Sayuna Lewis (original handler, Cicada)
Princess McQuillan (original handler, Cicada)
Pregame: 1
The Honeless Beard
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by The Honeless Beard »

((Trace, start))

The shabby collection of females at the table caught his eye as he leaned against the back wall, a poorly put together paperback resting against his hand. Surrounded by babble and chatter about who and when Carver allowed himself to be a lightning rod, back and to the left of Hightower, Lexington, and Jacqueline. The paperback reflected his own disheveled self, a sagging spine and a wilted cover.

He rolled his shoulder as he listened, his eyes flowing back to the paperback without the faintest sign of interest. It was there, naturally, but to appear curious to those around him would invite them to retreat further into themselves. Always be the observer, rather than the observed.

Trace gave it the old college try, the reading, but the inevitable drone of the cafeteria gave his wits a staunchy heave-ho, and with a world-weary sigh he snapped the book shut. Quickly now, so that you appear in a hurry. It wouldn't do to seem like you could be interrupted. Trace left without a backwards glance.

((Trace Carver, start))
SOTF TV V3
ES12: Ivan Rodriguez - Co-Winner - "Just fucking fight me, man."
[+] Past Characters
SOTF TV V2:
BB3: Matthew Weiss - #Weiss is Schiesse - "I can say whatever I want in this signature, and you'll believe it's in my story." - DECEASED
CS3: Dougie Sharpe - Personal Responsibility - "You're going to wake up tomorrow, and still be you." - DECEASED

SOTF SC V2:
B06: Brandon Baxter - Brandone (ft. DJ KILLJI) - "Thanks. I lost mine in a gunfight." - DECEASED
G33: Kasumi White - 'Cause We Are Young And We Are Sick- He is not here. - DECEASED

SOTF TV V3
MM12: Maxine "Max" Schwimmer - Sink or Swim "Akeno, please." - DECEASED

International:
O25: Tarren Joseph - A Boring Dystopia- "You killed me." - DECEASED

Supers
Kincaid Rawlins - The Apocalyptic Rockfight- "Hello kitty sucks."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Dakota would have answered Ambrose's question but Danielle got there first. That suited her fine, instead of speaking she just started to eat her salad and let Danielle handle the heavy lifting. She preferred it that way, her friends always said she was a good listener anyway. There were a lot of them who didn't consider the fact that she just didn't enjoy talking. It was too stressful for her as she always felt that her words needed to be carefully chosen lest she commit a social faux-pas and be ostracized from the group. It wasn't that she carried too much about being in with the popular crowd but she knew that if some of them had to opportunity to go after her they would take it. She was a quiet, poor, Native American girl. If anything she was a walking easy target.

As it turned out Dakota didn't have to answer Ambrose's question as Danielle asked her own question. Montrose was a teacher she had so she did actually have something she could offer the conversation even if it was only an assent. But Dakota didn't have to answer that question either as Jacqueline Hastert arrived and answered it instead. Dakota merely shrugged and continued eating her salad.

This was her life mainly, silently sitting around or standing around if it was at a party or out somewhere and listen to people have conversations around her. She had no problem with it. She had her niche and she knew what it was.

So she picked up a piece of chicken from the salad with her fork and put it in her mouth as Jacqueline then asked Ambrose a question.

A full cycle of conversation completed without her input being needed. She merely continued eating her salad and watching everything unfold.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Oh, I have Montrose next too," Ambrose said. "I'm not too worried about the test. Physics is all about memorization, so I think I'm good."

Ambrose took a sip of iced tea. He spent about three hours studying last night and studied a bit more this morning before he left. It was somewhat challenging to balance studying with homework for other classes and other extracurricular activities, but he knew it was worth it. All it took was precise scheduling, eating his dinner in his bedroom instead of at the table, and setting his DVR to record anything he may have wanted to watch on TV.

Now he was sure to keep his GPA up.

Ambrose used his fork to spear some salad.

"But I'm sure you'll be fine. Surely someone like Montrose can't stop someone like you with one little test."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Aster

Post by Aster »

Before either could announce, a familiar face strolled up and interjected. Danielle broke into a wide grin as the other girl took a seat next to her. “Jaaackie!” She exclaimed, drawing out the first syllable as she wrapped her arm around her shoulder. “Where’ve you been? I’ve been looking all over for ya!”

She forced a chuckle at Ambrose’s response. “Aha, I forgot you were in my class. Sorry” Danielle silently berated herself for the slip-up, but he didn’t seem too offended by it. So maybe she was in the clear, but a small part of her was worried he’d take offense. That voice was muffled further by Ambrose’s motivational quips, prompting a more genuine smile.

“Yeah, I mean, I have an 88% in his class, so I think my grade can take the hit if I flunk this.” She popped a chicken nugget in her mouth in between sentences. “But I don’t wanna do that this early in the quarter.”

She sighed and nudged Jacqueline. “How did you manage Montrose last year?”
Cicadan

Post by Cicadan »

Jacqueline listened. Ambrose was also in Danielle's class, Danielle had been looking for her, Dakota had nothing to say. Ignoring her morsel of meal:

"I had to run home." Jacqueline bobbed like a ragdoll as Danielle pulled her into welcome affection. Jacqueline's straw blonde hair draped over one of Danielle's shoulders as it was turned to a temporary pillow. As for 'I had to run home'. It was a vague statement, historically attributed many a meaning. Jacqueline tended to use it often.

"Ambrose is right. It is mostly memorization." Jacqueline technically disagreed, having found the class far more reliant on practical and logical application than a high schooler brain could manage.

"I think you can afford to take the hit, Dani. If I recall the curriculum from last year there are two easy electromagnetism labs left before the quarter ends." Jacqueline yawned slightly, yanking her eyes open. She hadn't even noticed they'd drifted shut. "... Mmm, yeah. Like I said, I barely passed. But barely passing is better than not passing! Next quarter, I think, is the hardest, so you might need to let other class grades slip to keep Physics up." Hopefully, Jacqueline's prior experience in the class remained relevant in present day.

Her apple sat on the table, still ignored.
Upcoming:

Relations Thread!
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Dakota was pretty sure Ambrose was wrong and physics wasn't all about memorization. That was more of a maths thing, while physics needed you to calculate things and then apply those calculations to what you were actually doing, but everyone was agreeing with him so it was whatever. It didn't matter to her either way.

Danielle and Jacqueline were talking about Montrose, his classes, the relative hardness thereof and the best time to tactically fail a test. None of what they were saying was interesting to Dakota but still, she knew what her role in the social jungle was and so sat listening and eating her salad. Her mind beginning to wander and wonder about other more meaningful things like when was the next practice (Thursday), when the next party was (Saturday) and when she next got to go back home (she didn't know). She knew the party wasn't truly meaningful but it was something where her attendance meant she got to continue to go through school unmolested by the more nationalist and fervent supporters of The General.

Her immediate future was more lessons. As the threat of graduation came barreling down the track she had found herself pondering more often what her future plans were. She needed to go to college that much was for sure, but she also needed to get a scholarship to be able to do that. She was unsure if she was going to be able to do that. She wasn't the best member of the cheer team, she played her part sure, but there were other, more important members. If she had stuck with running she would have gotten a scholarship for that easily enough but things hadn't worked out due to...differences. So it would have been ideal for her to get a scholarship and it was why in class like she was she doing now she just kept her head down and listened.

But despite that she knew that she needed to offer something to the conversation lest everyone else at the table started to think she was weird or something else unpleasant that could starting bitching to others about. Y'know, like people at high school always did.

Fuckers.

"If you think you can scrape by on the test but ace the labs I'd try to do that." She offered while playing with the salad using her fork.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Yeah, labs are life saving if the paper tests aren't your cup of tea," Ambrose said.

Ambrose took another bite of his sandwich. Talking about upcoming tests was fine and all, but here he was with at least one decent girl, and they couldn't talk about anything much more interesting? Granted, he may have started it by mentioning next period, but maybe there was something better to discuss.

Ambrose decided to change the subject to something else.

"Danielle, is there anyone you think might be squirming about this test?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Aster

Post by Aster »

Danielle leaned her head on Jacqueline’s as she spoke, sighing. “I guess I could do that. I mean, I’m not doing so hot in any of my other classes anyway, but Physics is the hardest to scrape by on...” A small part of her felt like she needed to pick up the slack on her grades, but another part of her knew that grades didn’t matter in the military. All that mattered was physical aptitude and patriotism, both of which she had a lot of. She just had to graduate high school first.

Dakota spoke up, Danielle had forgotten she was even there. She turned and offered a small smile in her direction, mostly just to be polite. “Thanks, I’ll try.”

Ambrose wondered who else was worrying about this test. Danielle lifted her head and put her hand on her chin “Hmm...” A majority of their class was made up of juniors whose names she never got around to learning. Besides, those juniors were objectively smarter than the seniors, so she doubted any of them were having too difficult of a time. She reached for the names of seniors she did know.

“Paxton and Clover, I think? Maybe that quiet Asian girl in the back of the class, but it’s hard to get a read on her.”
Cicadan

Post by Cicadan »

Jacqueline nodded. At Dakota for contributing to the topic, at Ambrose for deftly avoiding it further. Her nod was a desiccated thing, anemic of energy, suggestive more of a brief arrhythmia than anything else. Sleep almost stole her then. But by means of social grace she stayed conscious. Besides, waking enjoyment of her friend's warmth was better than sleeping through it. The snuggling deepened, somehow.

"I wouldn't be surprised if it were most of the class..."

Ah. That woke her up.

"Erm, not to imply they are less intelligent." Jacqueline jolted up, away from Danielle's shoulder and humanly familiar scent. She was now slightly embarrassed, though still mostly exhausted, her eyes slightly unfocused as she tried to apologize: "I misspoke."
Upcoming:

Relations Thread!

Return to “Before (Prologue)”