The Hunger Artist

[open] oh god oh fuck oh god oh fuck

The waterfall overlook presents one of the best views of the island and its surrounding area if one isn't afraid of heights or slipping. The area around the waterfall itself is very rocky as a result of constant erosion from the river. Despite this, the land on either side of the river is home to lush vegetation as this area has remained mostly untouched by the actions of the community, who saw it as a place of natural beauty that was to be preserved.
Somersault

Post by Somersault »

She was prepared to go push, prepared to come straight at him, prepared to fucking go over the line and go all the way, because it all hurt, and if it made go away for just a tiny, tiny fraction of a second, it would be worth it. She could do it. She had the shopping cart, she had the legs, she had the anger burning fiery within her veins making her feel as if she was stuck in an oven for all she cared.

Adele was ready to do it, go over the edge, because it all ached, her head and these people, when Sakurako began speaking, telling all of them to go calm down and shiz, being the real chill one. A brief wave of clarity washed over, just enough for her to stop gripping the bar so tightly.

She would've been proud of Sakurako, proud of how she was taking initiative, but that was stopped due to the fact that it was her fault, Adele's fault, that she felt that she had to even stick up in such a manner. She was always the responsible one, she would never drink, never partake in that ganja, no, always on the ball, yet here, when they needed her most, she was just going to snap like a fricking rubber band.

God, the irony.

If she had actually felt better, she would have chipped in, but all that happened was the rage disappeared from her veins, replaced with a simmering discontentment. The throbbing in her head was back again, but it was lessened this time, and if she focused hard enough, it was like it wasn't there, just a slight pressure. Just as how this, all of this, was just a slight hiccup. Wasn't at all, no, but the whining coming from Lucas made her want to say that if only shut up his jibber-jabber. He had a point, yes, and maybe if they were back in the hallways she'd have tried to comfort him, give some positive words, but here? Head had to be screwed on tight.

Keeping her head cool was of prime importance, and so Adele took in a deep breath, slowly backing up with the shopping to make sure she wasn't too close. God, she was so tired. So, so tired. She clasped her cross necklace, for strength, for protection, for a clearer mind.

D-bag was still talking, asking if they believed in an escape, and fine, Adele'd speak the truth this time. Well, again. It was almost liberating, she supposed, although combined with the aches and the pains and the anger it instead felt like a bitter consolation. Just a bit.

"Well, we ain't just going to be able to get off all easy," She leaned forward on the shopping cart, allowing it to support just a little more of her weight. "But unless you're planning on breaking dozens of international laws, there's not really much of a choice, is there?"
[+] mona lisas and mad hatters
ImageImageImageImage
Appearance Tracker!
[+] a soiled dove finding herself
Image Tonya Collins - Got messy. - Unpretty - TLC
Memories: Child
Pregame: Rain
Prom: Honey
Trip: Furbies
Island: Girl - Way - Delicious - Rakshasa
Tonya by Irina!
Tonya by Ryuki!
[+] a damsel no longer
Image Kelly Nguyen: Couldn't claw back up. - 1234 - Feist
Memories:
Pregame: Universe - Puppies
Trip: Interesting
Island: Holiday - Play - Down - Robot - Unicorn
Kelly by Mimi!
Kelly by Ryuki!
[+] a sheriff trying to keep the peace
Image Adele Jones: Believed. - Good As Hell - Lizzo
Adele by Mimi!
Adele by Ryuki!
Memories:
Pregame: Chartreuself - Lair - Collisions
Trip: Down
Island: Hunger - Darwinism - Mario - Lucifer - House
[+] a cowboy looking for something to ride
ImageMike Brown: Spoke up. - Oh, What A World - Kacey Musgraves
Memories: Timog
Pregame:
Trip: Life
Island: Steady - Miles - Dive
Mike by Ryuki!
[+] tumbleweeds
[+] the town crier whispered
Image Keisha Higgins-Bell - Scouring out her next scoop. - Q.U.E.E.N. - Janelle Monae and Erykah Badu
Memories: President - Misery
Pregame: Talmbout - Time
Meanwhile: Wings - Persuasion - Everything
Keisha by Mimi!
Keisha by Ryuki!
Keisha by Kotori!
[+] v8
Ji-won "Daniel" Song is just praying along. - I know that you're a sucker for anything acoustic.
Anna-Lynn "Ashlei" Mercado is staying in the spotlight. - Hit or miss, I guess they never miss, huh?
DeDe Dixon is the best. Definitely.
Pari Shirazi has been wreaking havoc since 2000!
Abby Davis wants to be in the know.
Super Weegee

Post by Super Weegee »

Blake eased up when Sakurako seemed to have managed to dissuade her from attacking with the cart. Might not have to risk getting shot after all. The mention about how fighting up here was a bad idea prompted him to take a second to look over the edge. Oh, how right she was. Even if he landed very close to where the waterfall itself, it can't be that deep.

Needless to say, this is the perfect spot if anybody wanted a quick ticket out of here. At least it would be relatively peaceful.

He took a few steps away from the edge and did his best to hide his slight shudder. Tuning into the conversation again, he heard Adele ask if they really had a choice about escaping or playing the game until one of them was left alive. It didn't take a genius to figure out what she meant by 'international laws'.

"The odds are low either way." Blake agreed, crossing his arms, "At least with escaping, we might have a chance of actually making it, however small that may be."

He then made eye contact with Dane.

"You don't exactly have the greatest of odds either, you know."
V8 Relationships Thread
Brook Peterson
Lula Gray
[+] V7
V7 Appearance Tracker
ImageMatthew Hunt drawn by Ryuki and Kotorikun - Profile
Memories: 1 2
Pregame: 1 2 3 4
Trip: 1 2
V7: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Image Blake Davis - Profile - "...You knew..."
Memories: 1
Prom: 1
V7: 1 2 3 4
Any thoughts or criticisms on my writing are welcome and appreciated! Feel free to message me on Discord.
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

"Well," Lucas said, throwing his hands up in the air, "you all can try to survive, escape, win, whatever, I just want to bring things to a close in a way that makes sense to me, okay?"

He turned and looked back over the waterfall for a bit. Tapped his foot all nervous-like while he surveyed the island below. Were those some buildings, in the distance? They looked pretty gross. The grosser, the more abandoned, the better. Maybe he could exercise his Urbex muscles one last time before he took a huge fuckin' chunk out of the biggest dust bunny that's ever been made up. Lucas Diaz' last ride? That might be a cool thing to do. Run away one more time, finish things the way they ought to have.

He felt his feelings get all mixed up in his chest. Lucas smiled at how just shitty this was. Maybe, just maybe, now everyone would feel how he did, all of the time. Most of the time. Okay, a not insignificant part of the time. Things had been getting better, but they weren't good yet, and they never would be ever again, not unless something stupid and also dumb happened like Hayashibara changing her mind or Ophelia coming in to rescue him. Diaz wiped the smile from his face with his sleeve and turned back around to face exactly one person out of the group.

"You," he said, pointing at Sakurako, "You're pretty chill. I'm gonna leave, but you can follow me. Nobody else, though. If you aren't her, and you follow me, I'm gonna throw so much Minecraft garbage at you, so help me god."

Lucas walked back over to his bags and picked them up, holding them in his arms 'cause he wanted to get away pretty quick. Later he'd carry them better, but right now just leaving was his priority. He walked right past gun-dude, past shopping-cart lady, past other-guy, and went right off into the distance.

Just before disappearing from view, the boy stumbled on a rock, jostling a pickaxe from his bag. He did not stop to pick it up.

[Lucas Diaz continued in My Balls are Concrete.]
[+] Recommended Reading Order
—The Heaven Panel—

Image / Image - G051: Lili Williams: 1. Kidnapped from her school trip and thrown into a horrific death game, Lili wanders the wasteland in search of her past life before it slides away from her for good.

Meanwhile 1. From Here On Out [Complete] Marie Bernstein eats ice cream with her friend and gets a text message.

Image / Image - B043: Arthur Bernstein: 2. Arthur watches the waters from the beach, knowing that their presence spells death. Seeking his sister's comfort, he takes up the spear and walks alongside another.

Meanwhile 2. Colorless [Complete] A family reunion under less than ideal circumstances. When trying to unravel the mystery of her brother's death at the hands of esoteric serial terrorists, Marie discovers more than she bargained for.

——The Earth Panel——

𝄇

Image - G026: Liberty "Bert" Wren: 3. It is happening again. To make things right, Bert must understand where things went wrong.

Image - B049: Max Rudolph: 4. The words we use to construct our realities often also make up the links in our chains. Fleeing a vision, Max builds his most elaborate prison yet.

Image - B032: Lucas Diaz: 5. A life lived through the views of others. In pursuit of revenge and his own death, Lucas Diaz interrupts the falling of many dominos.

Meanwhile 3. Because We Love You [Complete] Selections from a Google Drive, never to be logged into again.

Meanwhile 4. The Lines We Draw [Complete] In the process of collecting his brother's memories, Milo Diaz has a fitful morning.

Image - G007: Violet Schmidt: 6. The stars in the night sky do not make pictures. Breathing on both sides of the water, Violet Schmidt journeys to escape the confines of her own mind, and her reality.

Meanwhile 5. Years of Pilgrimage [???] Dana Schmidt is dreaming.

Meanwhile 6. Colorless II [Ongoing] Charlie Bernstein returns to the desert and finds it empty.

Meanwhile 7. Writing the Enigma [Ongoing] Randy Rudolph provides lodgings for Marie Bernstein as she investigates Survival of the Fittest, the city of Chattanooga, and the meaning of water.
———The Hell Panel———

𝄌
¿

[+] Other Threads
Virtual Pilgrimage: Exploring the Pregame Cities of SOTF
Sunnybunny

Post by Sunnybunny »

"You really think we'll get off this island?"

The question bounced in her head even as Adele seemed to shrink a bit into herself, as Blake agreed with the general idea of trying to make a way where one didn't exist. A honey-tongued leader would have solid answers to everyone's questions, but all Sakurako really had was a chance of a hope of a dream of a thought that might save them.

Them.

Wouldn't it be worth it, if even one more of her classmates got to live a normal life again? As wild as they could all be, there wasn't a single person in their class that deserved to die like this. Hopeless, afraid, convinced that they'd die if they didn't kill, it was so morbid. Dark as pitch. Lonely. Wasn't fair, because she'd finally let herself be seen just a little and Minecraft had said he was leaving and she could come with.

(She was chill. Huh.)

And that he wanted to die on his own terms. It was pitiful, but it was also very brave in a way. Lucas had broken her heart just now, just a little, Cinderfella leaving his Minecraft pick at the ball with no real way to reach him once he'd left her sight. She could go after him, but she had business to finish, another selection in the choose your own awful that was this place.

She wanted to see him again before the end, in any case.

"Half the class probably thinks I'm an idiot anyway, might as well end things like I started them. But surviving the way Danya wants is going to be a lonely road if that's the one you choose, and just as implausible if you think about it. I'm asking you to help us... if there's an us, of course. If not, I guess I'm asking you to help me. Finding what's here in way of supplies sounds good, yeah?"

She made her way towards the other two, her back turned. Everyone had the right to walk their own path, to make their own choice in how they wanted to spend their last days, and Sakurako couldn't let herself worry about the ones going opposite until she'd found a solution one way or the other.
VII
G071 - Sakurako Adina Jackson - i'll be ready every day / for as long as i can say / here I am in the future with my friends

VIII
Dancing Shoes
Bare Knuckles
Wild Horses
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Dane sighed. They all seemed to have the wrong idea about survival here, talking about breaking laws and such. He thought he wouldn't have to explain it, but it turned out that they really were that stupid.

"Survival doesn't mean murder," Dane said flatly, "I really didn't think I'd have to explain that to you. Survival means playing it smart. It means getting to the end with as little energy wasted and as few injuries as possible. None of that implies murder."

Dane shook his head again.

"And trust me, I've been going to the same school with you all long enough to know that some of you are not right in the head," he continued, "You might be all up for gathering everyone together and trying to formulate an escape plan, and that's all sunshine and rainbows, I'm sure, but there's going to be someone out there who doesn't think like you do. Someone who's armed and doesn't have qualms about killing indiscriminately. I'm going to be looking out for my own safety, and I can't do that if I'm tagging along with a group that's tearing up the island and attracting the attention of all the freaks out there."
Somersault

Post by Somersault »

Even though she really felt like it, Adele decided not to roll her eyes at D-, Dane, fine, continuing to go on about how he was gonna lay low or whatever. Fine, he had a point, there were going to be crazy-ass bishes out there, but there would always be people who weren't people who were willing to come to their senses, willing to not go off the handle at the slightest provocation and throw down.

She just hoped she was one of those people.

Figuratively, and literally, though, she was just spinning her wheels while 'Rako and Dane were talking, while a sorta-inspirational speech was being made by Ms. Class Clown. Lucas'd left, called for 'Rako like the sad sad boy he was, and while it was mighty disrespectful that he thought she was crazy, or at least not good enough to come on with him, but she had better things to do than worry about a small white boy not liking her.

Like, for example, backing up her girl, along with Blake, hopefully. She'd made an overture, stood her ground, and maybe Dane was a douche, he still certainly was, but he was a douche with a gun. Maybe he didn't know how to use that gun, and maybe Adele had never shot something that big at the range before, but it was still something.

"Well, you think we're just gonna lay down our arms," She started, looking straight at Dane, head straight ahead at him once more. "And die? We're not just gonna take it, okay? You can go on and hide, go off and do whatever, honestly, but we aren't idiots."

More quietly, though, and hopefully more subtly, she motioned for Sakurako to come over to her and Blake just a little more quickly. "His ass probably isn't joining us, so we should get started on that searching thing real quick."
ImageImageImageImage
Appearance Tracker!
Tonya by Irina!
Tonya by Ryuki!
[+] a damsel no longer
Memories:
Kelly by Mimi!
Kelly by Ryuki!
Adele by Mimi!
Adele by Ryuki!
Memories:
Pregame:
Mike by Ryuki!
[+] tumbleweeds
Image Keisha Higgins-Bell - Scouring out her next scoop. - Q.U.E.E.N. - Janelle Monae and Erykah Badu
Keisha by Mimi!
Keisha by Ryuki!
Keisha by Kotori!
[+] v8
Ji-won "Daniel" Song is just praying along. - I know that you're a sucker for anything acoustic.
Anna-Lynn "Ashlei" Mercado is staying in the spotlight. - Hit or miss, I guess they never miss, huh?
Super Weegee

Post by Super Weegee »

"Survival doesn't mean murder."

Blake couldn't help but shake his head when Dane said that. Did he suddenly go deaf when that bastard was explaining everything? He was about to interject with his own rebuttal when he continued on about how not everybody has the same idea about escaping. That some won't have any problems killing their classmates.

He was right on that part. Blake can already think of a few people who would probably have a happy trigger-finger. Hell, some of them in particular won't hesitate to fill him with lead, he knew that much. Even with the others who have less of a problem with him, or even friends, how much would it take for them to turn their backs on him?

The only solution that immediately came to his mind was to keep an eye out and stop them from making their first move.

Before he could think about anything else, Adele was waving him over and offering to go search together. He only barely noticed Lucas walking past him.

"Sure," Blake said before facing Dane, "but let me make something clear to you. I don't know if you were listening earlier, but you have to murder someone if you want to go home."

He then walked closer to Dane.

"I'm not going to blame you in some cases. You could be killing a dangerous lunatic. You could be saving your...friends. I like to think that you're going to minimize your kills and you won't be proud of it. But," he then pointed and glared at him. "if you decide to murder an innocent person for no good reason, if you do something I really don't like, I'll make sure you won't be a threat to anyone anymore. Are we clear?"

Despite asking a question, he didn't bother to wait for a response as he walked away. Chances were that Dane was going to make a snippy comment and he wasn't going to have that. At this rate, they were going to go back and forth with each other even if Dane agreed to help. A waste of time. Besides, Dane pretty much admitted to be out for himself.

Blake motioned Adele and Sakurako over to follow him.

"The island isn't going to search itself!"

Well, considering that he has a few people he could trust for now, it might have been worth it.

((Blake Davis continued in Antisocial Darwinism))
V8 Relationships Thread
Brook Peterson
Lula Gray
[+] V7
V7 Appearance Tracker
ImageMatthew Hunt drawn by Ryuki and Kotorikun - Profile
Memories: 1 2
Pregame: 1 2 3 4
Trip: 1 2
V7: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Image Blake Davis - Profile - "...You knew..."
Memories: 1
Prom: 1
V7: 1 2 3 4
Any thoughts or criticisms on my writing are welcome and appreciated! Feel free to message me on Discord.
Sunnybunny

Post by Sunnybunny »

In theory, G.G. was absolutely correct. If you could hide yourself and coast, you should be able to survive up to a certain point. But then, you could spend all your life depriving yourself good food and still get hit by a bus. Life never had been fair, this was just that point being taken to its most extreme extent. But it was super endearing how adamant he was about not mowing his way down the collective student body, even if his motive wasn't altruistic.

Was every classmate of hers going to surprise her like that?

But they didn't have forever, so she couldn't dwell on how very human they all were now. All that earnestness had exhausted her in a way that even sleeping gas had failed to do, being yourself really was garbage advice. It was time to go back to uplifting, and trying to salvage some enjoyment along the way.

"Me, draw attention? Why I'd never..."

Once the ground under her feet was a little less risky-feeling, Sakurako walked down a bit faster. Saying goodbye to the beautiful view was bittersweet, but it had been nice to see something like that before the uphill battle she'd signed up for. Unspoiled, resplend-

Blake was really coming with the threats hard, hopefully there weren't too many things he really didn't like. Apparently they'd all collectively decided to stop worrying and love the game for just a moment, which was alright with her. If she had to let someone have their merry way just because of the luck of the draw, this place would be even worse. Waving back to the potential gunman, she let her voice ring out to him once more before taking her leave.

"Imagine you're in a dark room. How do you get out?"

Off to search it was then, but before Sakurako left the grounds entirely... ah, there it was. Minecraft's pickaxe.

"You got it B, let's hit it Addie! Whirlwind adventure and all that."

She did stop to pick it up.

((Sakurako A. Jackson continued in Antisocial Darwinism))
VII
G071 - Sakurako Adina Jackson - i'll be ready every day / for as long as i can say / here I am in the future with my friends

VIII
Dancing Shoes
Bare Knuckles
Wild Horses
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

They were leaving. Off to do an escape, or whatever it was that they thought they needed to do.

He had to admit, at least they weren't just going to run off and find a place to die. He could at least... respect them a little bit for that. But not much. Let's not get too carried away here.

"You go your way, I go mine," he said, more for himself than for anyone else.

He turned, then, moving down the slope. He was going to be listening for the news from those announcements. If they somehow managed to pull that stunt, he wasn't above admitting that he was wrong. About escape not being possible. He would come back and be a graceful loser.

...When pigs fly, he supposed.

((Dane Lennox continued in Rise Great Undead Lord Dread.))
Somersault

Post by Somersault »

Telling Dane to go leave was okay.

Almost threatening Dane, coming up and telling him he wouldn't be a threat anymore? Adele wasn't too sure on that front, and maybe she could've said something there, try to deescalate the whole thing, but a bitter pang of hypocrisy rang through her at that thought. What gave her the right to act all high and mighty when she had threatened to push the very same guy off a cliff with the cart right in her hands?

There was nothing, as painful as it was to admit. Maybe back in George Hunter there were the bullies, and the victims, and Dane was certainly a big-ass bully, but even as 'Rako started to call for them, she was still mulling it over. Things were different here - sure, people'd need protection, people'd need help, but who those people would exactly be was a big, big mystery.

In essence, Adele didn't know whether she could trust Blake with knowing the right way. Didn't know if could trust herself with that, either, the tiredness once again seeping into her veins drip by drip. It was easy to go and sleep, easy to go and be angry, and yeah, she got that.

Wasn't easy to go smile at 'Rako's chatter, leave without passing Dane a glance, but already, things had changed.

"Hey bishes, wait for my fine ass!"

Things had changed, but maybe, she didn't have to.

At the very least, maybe she could become someone she was proud of again. Maybe even someone better.

The wheels of the shopping cart ringed as she started going down, but this time, she was okay with the sound. If this thing was still moving, so was she.

((Adele Jones, continued elsewhere))
ImageImageImageImage
Appearance Tracker!
Tonya by Irina!
Tonya by Ryuki!
[+] a damsel no longer
Memories:
Kelly by Mimi!
Kelly by Ryuki!
Adele by Mimi!
Adele by Ryuki!
Memories:
Pregame:
Mike by Ryuki!
[+] tumbleweeds
Keisha by Mimi!
Keisha by Ryuki!
Keisha by Kotori!
[+] v8

Return to “Waterfall Overlook”