Room 711: Always Be Closing

Tagging Emprexx Plush and General Goose

The hotel where the senior students are housed for the week of their trip. Students are housed three or four to a room, and rooms are divided by gender. The students have full access to the hotel's facilities, pool, and recreation areas during the day, but there is a strict nighttime curfew, and everyone must be in their rooms by 10 PM each night.
Catche Jagger

Room 711: Always Be Closing

Post by Catche Jagger »

((Thomas Buckley Trip: Start))

Thomas was doing what he’d done most of the trip: sitting in bed, on his laptop, playing Knights of the Old Republic II.

Going on the trip had been a bad idea and he’d known it since he set foot in this damn hotel.

It wasn’t like he was particularly upset by the location, or the room, or his roommates, or the events. He could just tell from the get-go that, though it was a good idea to test one’s boundaries, he had perhaps taken things a bit too far.

Leaving his comfort zone quite a ways behind him, Thomas the first day of the trip riddled with anxiety. Since then, he’d resolved to keep to himself in this room, locked to his laptop, at least until they could finally make their way home.

What a way to cap off your high school experience. “Go on the senior trip!” That’s what mom said. “You skipped prom, you should at least do this with your class.”

You know, she might have been right that Thomas would have regretted not coming some day, on some level. That didn’t stop him from feeling like an ass in the here and now, however.

As the day winded down, he knew that his time of solitude was likely at an end, and he wasn’t exactly sure how he felt about that. Having other people around certainly made him feel like less of a crazy person, but he wasn’t exactly close with his roommates.
[+] sig
[+] V7
ImageB078 - Thomas Buckley: "Holy- yes, I am scared because I am not ignorant to the world around me. What the fuck are you talking about ‘am I scared’?”
Memory: 1 | Pregame: 1-2 | Trip: 1
V7: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9

ImageG078 - Sapphire Waters: “It’s okay, Emmett…”
Pregame: 1
V7: 1-2-3-4

ImageB079 - Colin McCabe: “Hey you murderous prick! Tell me how the fucking dirt tastes!”
Pregame: 1-2
V7: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
#1 Uriel Hunter stan

"I'm refined, I'm cultured. I'm a fashionista. I'm everything you're not and never will be." - Ali Grayston, 2006
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

((Jeremiah Anderson Continued From Did Bigfoot Take It?))

Door swung open easy. Weren't in no hurry. Loomed in the doorway with the sound of a stubborn chunk a' banana stuck in his straw. Damned if it weren't good despite the trouble.

Told Nia he was gonna take a nap but prolly wouldn't. Day sleepin' threw him off and last thing he wanted in this kinda mood was to be up and prowlin' after midnight. 'sides, this uh...Bourbon Banana Caramel was treatin' him nice enough. Skinny sumbitch like him didn't look like he took much comfort in food, but it distracted him. The walk weren't a bad influence either. He'd be okay.

Leastways as long as it was just him 'n Tom here the place would be quiet. Fella was wrapped up in his laptop. Not hard t' avoid conversation. Gave him a grunt when he walked passed before sittin' on his bed.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Catche Jagger

Post by Catche Jagger »

And, like clockwork, one of his roommates popped back in. He believed this one was named Jeremiah.

The two had spoken little more than a sentence to one another, and Thomas could never tell if that was his own fault for being a reclusive weirdo, or if this was by mutual design.

As his roommate entered, he greeted Thomas with little more than a grunt before taking a seat at his bed.

After a moment’s pause where he considered how he would best respond to such a greeting, before clearing his throat and turning to the other boy.

“Hey.” He said rather shortly, before giving a nod and hoping that he wasn’t being a huge dick.
[+] sig
[+] V7
ImageB078 - Thomas Buckley: "Holy- yes, I am scared because I am not ignorant to the world around me. What the fuck are you talking about ‘am I scared’?”

ImageB079 - Colin McCabe: “Hey you murderous prick! Tell me how the fucking dirt tastes!”
#1 Uriel Hunter stan

"I'm refined, I'm cultured. I'm a fashionista. I'm everything you're not and never will be." - Ali Grayston, 2006
Jan de Witt

Post by Jan de Witt »

(Theophilus "Theo" Walterson - Trip Start)

As much fun as touring the Smithsonian museums had been, Theo had to admit that such hectic sightseeing was exhausting, especially when carrying a backpack full of books, memorabilia, and snacks. Breathing somewhat heavily, he knocked on the door before opening.

As he entered the room, he made sure to smile courteously at both of them. He knew of them, vaguely, but he couldn't recall having actually met them before. Even so, he felt obliged to say something. "So, how has your trip been so far? I went to the National Portrait Gallery." Without waiting for a reply, he returned to his bags, carefully separating out the gifts he had bought for his parents and the new books he had bought at the museum gift shop. At the same time, he also considered which of the new books he should focus reading in the coming days. A history of American painting in the 19th century, perhaps?
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Stared at Tom for a couple seconds.

Theo came in. Asked how his trip was, so he stared at him too.

Shrugged. Gestured with his milkshake.

Doin' real well. Killin' it. Exactly what Regina had in mind.

Alright. 'sposed he could try a little harder.

"Declaration's bullshit," he offered.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

((Nick Ogilvie trip beginning))

Nick walked into the room, trying to slide in behind Theo before the door closed for good. He hoped that he would suddenly turn invisible, that he would not be noticed at all by his new roommates, that he wouldn't even earn a scornful glare. Scornful glares were the only type of notice that he seemed to receive these days, even from DC residents that didn't know him.

But no. Acting like he was invisible didn't make him invisible. It was a sucky reality, but that's the way it is.

He walked over to his bed and slumped onto it, curling up against the wall and hoping that nobody would think of asking him what he thought about the history of the US political process or the injustice of DC's population being denied full representation or if he'd spotted any big-name DC politicos walking around in the flesh. He'd been asked all those questions by people who knew his name but didn't know him. They were stupid questions. He hated them.

Fucking hell, this was a travesty.
Catche Jagger

Post by Catche Jagger »

And then there were three.

Theo arrived in the room seemingly in a more talkative mood than Jeremiah had. Definitely easier to discern intent, though more discussion wasn’t something that Thomas was exactly seeking.

Like his other roommates, Thomas knew little about Theo from school. However, he’d gotten the impression that Theo was at least an alright guy.

“It’s been alright. I’ve just been, you know, around.” He replied, gesturing vaguely.

Then Jeremiah made some weird comment about the Declaration. Part of him wanted to ask what the hell he meant, while the rest of him assumed quickly that asking would likely open up a rabbit hole of other strange topics.

Best to leave it alone.

And so he did, giving a polite not (if a slightly confused expression) Jeremiah’s way before turning back to his laptop, thinking the topic handled, only to notice out of the corner of his eye the entrance of one Nick the Fourth Roommate.

The boy had offered no greeting and quickly curled up in his bed.

Thomas’s first impulse was to want to know what the hell was wrong, while also not really wanting to step into the emotionally fraught situation of the rando he was living with. It probably didn’t concern him anyway.

But what if it does? What if the ride home’s been delayed? Or somebody you know got hurt? Or you did something shitty as a roommate? Or…

Thomas felt a tension rise in his back as he struggled with his internal indecision and felt the fingernails of his right hand dig into his palm.

Finally, he quickly asked “What’s up Nick?” and felt some of that tension leave him, though not all.
[+] sig
[+] V7

#1 Uriel Hunter stan

Jan de Witt

Post by Jan de Witt »

The answers he received, predictably, were as vague and disinterested as his own question was. Thomas made vague references to going around, and Jeremiah was apparently unimpressed by the what he presumed was the Declaration of Independence. Nothing of interest, then.

As Theo began to read the introduction, he sighed contentedly, thoroughly engrossed in the short overview provided. He had nearly finished the section on portraiture when he heard Thomas call out. Looking up irritation, he suddenly noticed Nick's presence in the room, discreetly curled up as he was. Moving closer to him, he spoke softly. "Are you feeling ok?"
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Real ray a' sunshine, that boy.

Nobody seemed t' care much what Jeremiah had t' say. Suited him fine. Weren't after no trouble. Couldn't help but snort at the whole show Nick was puttin' on though. Makin' an awful lot a' fuss for a body who don't want no attention. Almost like he wanted the whole crew to gather 'round t' hear his troubles.

Weren't interested. Settled back in the bed and enjoyed him a damn fine milkshake.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Nick was impossible to please in this moment. On the one hand, his little performance was designed to catch the eye, so obviously sulking and brooding that of course it would be easily construed as a cry for help. Which, honestly, was what it was. That was what Nick's whole self-destructive cycle was all about, if he was to ever stop and let even the most reflexive notions of self-reflection come to bite him.

But on the other hand, he also wanted it to convey a certain 'fuck off' quality to it.

Which Jeremiah seemed to get, but not the others. They tried being considerate and selfless and friendly. Bastards.

He thought about whether he could produce some snarky reply playing on the double meanings of the word 'Up', but beyond something unoriginal and worn down like saying 'Up is a Pixar movie', Nick couldn't think of anything even remotely witty. So he kept silent at first, finally lifting his head up to be curt and to the point. "Traditionally someone curling up against the wall is body language that indicates that they wanna be left alone."
Catche Jagger

Post by Catche Jagger »

Nick’s response was more of a punch to the gut than Thomas had expected. He’d fucked up and none nothing but make a situation worse. Part of him wanted to blame Theo for piling on, but he knew he was just a culpable.

As you can see once again, if you don’t know, you’re better off not trying.

“I’m sorry. Didn’t, um… didn’t mean to pry.” The boy replied quickly, quietly, trying not to let his internal frustrations show. Then his eyes returned to the screen.

Thomas just hoped Theo didn’t make a scene so that the rest of the stay would remain only remain quietly uncomfortable for him.
[+] sig
[+] V7

#1 Uriel Hunter stan

Jan de Witt

Post by Jan de Witt »

Theo frowned in irritation at Nick's response, and he replied coldly as a result. "As you wish. I mean, it seemed a lot like you wanted help. so don't blame us for that." He returned to his reading, occasionally pausing to glance at Nick in annoyance. He knew that solitude could be comforting, yes, but did Nick really have to do it so impolitely? The others, at least, were conducting themselves with at least a modicum of courtesy, so clearly it could not have been that difficult.

His annoyance was making it increasingly difficult to concentrate, and when he received a text message he checked it immediately, hoping for some reprieve from this situation.
Dad wrote: Arranged a dinner with the Profs. Ogilvie when you get back
Make sure to buy a gift to give her when she arrives
P.S. She said Nick's rooming with you on the trip
Tell him that he should come too
At that, Theo exhaled audibly. Were it not for his situation, he would have found it serendipitous, but as it was it was merely tiresome. Trying to force a cheerful, or at least neutral, expression onto his face, he called out to Nick. "My dad's having your parents over for dinner. Are you coming?" Privately, he hoped Nick would reject the offer, or that the dinner would be canceled, but he smiled stiffly anyways.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Now, he knew he don't wanna be involved in whatever crawled up Nick's ass. Didn't have no particular allegiance t' the other boys neither. Tom was back at his game and Theo was mumblin' about somethin' Nick'd probably set to whinin' 'bout soon as he heard it. Would be best just t' let sleepin' dogs lie and stay out of it. Made him twitch a little though, this whole show Nick was puttin' on. Tom and Theo were good enough folk tryin' t' help a body out, and if Nick didn't wanna talk he didn't have t' say nothin'. Bein' miserable was his right but he didn't hafta force it on the rest a' the room. Rude. Down right inconsiderate, might say.

"Lotsa parks."

Slurp.

"Couple cafes."

Sluuurp.

"More alone there."

Sluuuuurp.

Mm. Damn fine milkshake though.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Theo, at the very least, had something relevant to say.

Stupid parents with their stupid academic social life.

"I'm in the sorta mood to say no to everything," Nick said, turning around to face Theo. He at least deserved that dignity. "So...no. Thanks, but no."

Then he turned to Jeremiah, with a scowl. Because Jeremiah, like every person Nick knew who punctuated their sentences by slurping their drink, was apparently trying to get the Twat of the Year award.

"Well, excuse me, Princess, for having emotions and all that shite, but now that we've all established that I'm a miserable cunt, is there really any need to carry on bringing it up?" He knew he was being an awful roommate. Nick understood the resentment. For some, this trip was a moment of real civic pride, a chance to savour their nation's history and gain some cursory experience of what passed for a democratic process. For others, it was a chance to get away, to bask in the joys of a big city, to sample monuments and museums far beyond the quaintness of a medium-sized Tennessee city.

And Nick was sorry - he truly was - that he was such a burden on the mood for these unfortunate souls that had been assigned the seeming cosmic punishment of sharing a room with post-breakup Nick. He was interrupting that vibe, just like another senseless bad news story. And sure, he'd went about conveying his lack of interest in socialising in a brusque and obnoxious way. It was the sort of thing that demanded eschewing subtlety, granted, but maybe he'd overdone it. But the signal was clear. "Just...I've had my strop, I've had my show and tell, any further dragging this out is on you."

And he returned to facing the wall with a displeased grunt.

He'd apologise to the other two later. But not now. That'd give Jeremiah way too much satisfaction.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

((breaking order with permission from Catche and Jan))

'bout the time Nick's choice of insult slipped out his mouth, Jeremiah stopped hearin' his voice. Stared straight through 'im.

Quit bitchin', princess.

One a' dozens. Maybe hundreds. Pa said plenty, truth be told this weren't even that bad a memory. Some kinda mood today, though. Crawled under his skin and swole up like a tick. Heard once if you let a tick alone, it'll keep drinkin' 'till it pops. No warnin', just a sudden shower a' pressure and gore. Weren't sure he believed that. Never seen it.

Mm. Damn fine milkshake.

Shame while he was reminiscin' he'd chucked it near hard as he could at the back a' Nick's head.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters

Return to “The Hotel”