Not Seeing Eye to I

between me and Diseasedbear, pm if you'd like to enter

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

She sighed. She could pretend to care about his book, and let him go on and on. But she was tired. She felt a little annoyed that a book had priority over her, but that was Owen. She fanned out her toes, and then pointed her feet. Stretching out her legs while she evaluated her options.

The silence hung in the air. It was especially uncomfortable since they weren't even with each other. She looked around her room. It was odd to feel uncomfortable in your own room. She sat up and pulled her knees to her chest. It seemed that she would have to be the one to make things get serious.

Being an athlete, Cassidy knew how to get out of prior obligations. She just had to play the "busy" card, and go on her way. It was a last resort, and not entirely true, but it never offended anybody.

"So, I have a meet next weekend in Cali. I can't really do anything."

She paused. Maybe see if he'd like to come. It was unlikely, but worth a shot.

"Actually, I'm gonna be really busy for a while..."

Please, make it easy for me!
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Serpico†

Post by Serpico† »

Owen heard Cassidy sigh, and even though he wouldn't say anything, it really bothered him. He really wanted to the end the conversation there, but pressed on.

"That's fine. It's nice that you're going out this weekend, I guess."

She said she was busy and Owen believed that she was. He liked the idea of space, and kind of assumed that she was looking to spend time away from him. It never came across Owen's mind to ask if he could come along, because she had not been blunt. Even if he wanted to come along he would feel like he was intruding.

"I guess I'll see you when you get back. You can call or text if you need me, or something."

There was a crash outside, and Owen peered out of his shutters to see what was happening. It was his father, trying and failing to construct... something, Owen couldn't quite tell, but he could see a lot of power tools. Despite the window being a fair distance from his father, Owen could still hear the rapid string of curses through his window, a mix of English and Latvian.

"...The man who writes these instructions should be fired! What a dumb co-" Owen shut the window and drowned out the majority of the noise.

If Cassidy had just said anything just then, Owen would have missed it.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Serpico. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

"I guess I'll see you when you get back. You can call or text if you need me, or something."

She didn't even know what that meant. What could she possibly NEED from him while at a competition? Well, he could offer support. But if he'd wanted to do that, he'd be coming with her family. No, this was just this way of maintaining the equilibrium.

They were dating, but they weren't boyfriend and girlfriend. They had cute moments, but not sentimental ones. It was a teetering scale that left Cassidy anxious and confused. She didn't feel like Owen cared at all. Her attempts to move through the stages of a relationship seemed like they only reaped indifference.

"Thanks, but that won't be necessary." She was still trying to be gentile. It seemed like ending whatever they had wouldn't crush him, or even affect him, but there was no reason to be angry or rude.

She waited a bit for a response. There was a little shuffling on the other side of the line, but no answer.

Not even paying attention now. UGH She drummed her fingers impatiently. She wanted to hang up. She pulled the phone from her face to see if the call had been dropped. It hadn't. Her frustration built as she watched the seconds of silence add up.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Serpico†

Post by Serpico† »

Owen broke the silence, again oblivious to the fact that most of the things he was saying were bothering Cassidy more and more. Likely the fault of the phone, then again neither of them was communicating with the other well.

"Sorry, Dad was doing something weird in the yard." He latched the window shut "Thought that he was going to break something... or himself. Did you say anything?"

He glanced at his book and before picking it up; it was calling to him, like some sort of papery siren. For him it was time to end the call, he really didn't have much to say anyway. His interest wasn't in the call after all, as it was just a regular call to see if Cassidy was fine and wanted to talk. Not really part of a routine that he would want to get used to.

"Anyway, I'm going to get going if that's alright. I mean, unless you have anything else to say." He just hoped that all she had to say was see you later. Really, he desperately wanted to finish reading.

He waited for her response; after all they had to say bye bye and all that cutesy couple stuff that he wasn't that much a fan of. He twitched at the thought of calling anyone by a pet name, it just seemed really forced and... lame.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Serpico. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Dispite the fact that his words were polite, Cassidy couldn't help but feel resent. He was done talking, so the conversation was over. They would talk again at some point and the conversation would be exactly the same. Hello. Hello. Bye. Bye.

She didn't even know what the hell they were to each other. But this was definitely the last time she would even try. It was over. It'd been over. And it really wasn't a big deal.

It wasn't like Owen was "hitting and quitting." The relationship was borderline plutonic! And it wasn't like he was being a jerk. He was just backing off.

Very slowly, and very passively. The type of thing that confuses a girl.

"Kay."

She tried to sound emotionless. A happy tone would imply romantic interest. A sad tone would imply romantic disappointment. And the last thing she wanted was to let on that she had any romantic feelings for him.

What she had for him now was discomfort. She couldn't hold a grudge over him, but she could never feel normal around him. Not after she'd felt so unworthy of his attention.

Her thumb slid over to the END button, waiting for his good bye. Immediately after, she repeated it back, and clicked the button. The beep in her ear was a little less satisfying than she'd thought it would have been, but at least she knew what it meant.

(Cassidy Kant continued elsewhere)
Serpico†

Post by Serpico† »

The call was over and Owen began to read the glorious adventures of Zorro, content with the way that the phone call had gone. Outside of his room, both his parents were fighting over what was apparently a gazebo, but this was normal in the Veveris household. Owen did go outside, and he did help his father eventually, but after that he returned to reading.

After that it took Owen a few days to work out what exactly happened, and by that point he was very confused, and a tiny bit pissed off that she didn't have the decency to actually make it clear that they were separating. It wouldn't have killed her to make it clear, instead of leaving him in relationship limbo. After that he texted her once, just to make it clear: "Let's not speak to each other again."

Then it was final, he felt relieved and he could pretend that she didn't exist.

He didn't really mourn the loss of the relationship after that. For the most part she had been pretty good, but never great. He gave himself a while to sulk around, more to get over the confusion than anything else. The part that bothered him the most was that she never explained exactly why, as he had never really picked up the reason.

Owen would move on, he wasn't that emotionally invested in the first place. They never really did much in the time that they were together, a few dates and that was it. He never really got to touch or anything like that, so again, there was nothing to really mourn.

When he would come across her at school he would just keep walking, just like he did before he met her. He would always tell people that it was a mutual breakup, even though he wanted to just say the he dumped her.

((Owen Veveris: Continued elsewhere))

Return to “Memories (The Past)”