Something Something Movie Reference

Open

Spotting the beach in a series are deep, roped-off caves, some traversable on foot and others requiring strong swimming skills or the aid of a canoe. Any light source aside from natural pockets in the rock went out years ago, however, making it very easy for someone to lose their way in the craggy labyrinth, not to mention the threat of slipping into the deep, black water.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

"I would be happy to assist."

The dull monotone of his voice might give away the fact that he felt no real inclination towards one course or the other, but it was difficult to muster any sort of passion in this context. On the one hand, they might end up assisting with needless manual labor, which was hardly a stirring proposition. On the other, they could watch, or they could leave, mostly rendering this a large waste of time. Time they might not be able to afford to spare in either instance.

Still, Paris seemed interested, for one reason or another. He would follow his lead and see where they landed.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Claire felt a small grimace appear on her face when Paris put a hand on her shoulder. Sure, he probably meant well and was just offering sympathies to her in this hard time, but there was something about how forward it was that put her off. Maybe it's because physical contact over the last few days has mostly extended to people hurting her, but it was still an alien-esque feeling. She simply nodded at the boy.

"Well, there's not much left to do," she told the boys. "I mean, four people pushing sand into the grave is faster than two, so we'll be done before sunset if you help. You don't have to help though. However..."

Claire looked back at Corey's body in the grave. She thought back to his final words to her. There were people to find, and perhaps Paris and Joachim knew something.

"Corey also gave me a task, before he passed away. If you can help, I'd like some information."

Claire brushed some hair behind her ear. She could feel some granules of sand transfer from her fingers to her hair.

"I'm looking for some people at Corey's behest. Have you seen Gray Emerson, Sean Mulcahy, Rachael Langdon, Tim Abrams, or Michael Mitchellson? He had some things he wanted them to know, and I intend to find them while I still can."

Claire adjusted her glasses.

"Any little piece of information will help."
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Joachim was like a toy robot, his toy robot, who would do whatever he suggested. His quick acceptance of the situation nearly made him smirk. What a windfall meeting him was, who knew what he was like in regular life. He probably had a will and personality, but the island had done something, broken him, and it was supremely amusing to Paris.

He used it and turned the smirk into a kindly smile. "See, we'll help," he said using a piece of drift wood to push sand into the ditch over the body. "We've got to look out for each other. There's enough to worry about here without having to make it harder for those of us who still have our hearts."

Presently she said something else. She asked for information that the dead boy had asked her to gather. Paris stopped his actions and stood back up. He bit his lip and furrowed his brow as if in deep thought. He tapped his lips with a finger while looking downward.

"Hmmm. Yes," he said slowly. "I saw Gray Emerson near the town a few days ago."

He looked back up at Claire and noticed she'd gotten sand in her hair. He reached out and brushed it out of her hair, long fingers gently working their way through the strands until they were clean.

"I didn't see him for very long, but he seemed alright," he said softly. "I think he was looking for someone, so he's probably not there anymore. That's all I know. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful," his big green eyes shifted away from her to the body once again.

"I think we can get your friend covered pretty quickly."
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

See, we'll help?

Seriously? Like the island was that hard-up for decent people? Okay, bad example. But, geez, Paris sounded like he needed to prove something, to the point where even Mara seemed more trustworthy. Sure, she could kill him at any second, but at least he knew that going in. Paris did, however, note that he had seen Gray Emerson a few days ago, which was almost meaningless. Zubin had seen Brian, Mallory, Lana, and both Stephanies, and they were all dead. Ami had a kill, and he couldn't gauge her mental state until he saw her again, and Mara was, well Mara. The only thing Zubin knew from that was (a) Gray was alive , and that was due to his lack of presence on the announcements, and (b) he was possibly friendly, for the same reason.

Of course, telling his relevant suspicions now wasn't going to be a very good idea, what with the object of said suspicions being about three feet away from him. Zubin just shook his head and helped Paris fill in the hole.
Survivor: UCONN - Seriously, it's awesome!

Version 8
Kaede Tsurumi: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!"
Morgan Whitney
Tyler Slomkowski
Victor Grail: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all."
[+] Version 7
Male Student #65: Manuel Figueroa; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Female Student #70: Jessica Rennes; Status: ACTIVE (Adopted by Brackie)
Female Student #79: Stephanie McDonald; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

None of the names Claire rattled off held any particular interest for Joachim. If he'd run across any of them, they'd left very little impact in their wake, and he had no idea where they might have gone. Paris seemed to have some inclination, though, so he stood silently beside him, waiting for his role to be revealed.

If told to bury bodies, he would bury bodies. If Paris asked him to support his story, he would lie. If Claire and Zubin required...restraint, he would restrain them. If he wished to leave, he would follow.

It was a beautifully simple scenario. He'd grown quite content with it. Now it was merely a matter of maintaining it. As he began to fill in the hole, he kept careful track of their companions. Claire didn't seem to be any real trouble, but Zubin seemed...uncomfortable. If anyone was going to make a scene, it was going to be him.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Paris had seen Gray a few days ago, but that didn't really prove helpful to Claire. It did help that he saw him, but Gray could be far away from the town by this point, and she'd have no way of knowing where he could have gone. She could make her way to the town and begin searching the houses and apartments when this was done. It was a good start, and it's likely Gray could be hiding somewhere in there.

Of course, Paris didn't need to tell her that while touching her hair like some kind of creeper, but the information was still somewhat helpful, and it did at least give her some direction to go after finishing the grave.

"Okay, that's good to know," she told him. "I'll head there after we're done here."

Claire got on her knees and began to push more sand into the grave. Corey was almost completely covered, and they'd still have enough time to mark the grave somehow. There could be some driftwood or large rocks they could put on the grave, and hopefully leave it where it wouldn't get washed away by the tide.

Claire continued to push the sand into the grave. She was running out of time to find Corey's Five, so she'd need to get moving soon. However, she felt she'd need to repay the favor to Paris and Joachim. It wasn't much, but information was valuable on this island.

"What about you two?" she asked as she pushed a large mound of sand into the grave. "Anyone you looking for?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Paris went and perched on a rock, sitting with knees drawn up and watching Joachim fill in the hole with sand. He seemed mesmerized for a moment before Claire's question appeared to snap him back to reality. He blinked and looked at her.

"Mmm? No. There's no one I'm trying to find in particular anymore, but thank you for asking."

Searching his mind past the obvious, he thought about Jessica suddenly. She was also dead. That pretty much cleared the board of close friends he'd want to see.

"I've had a relatively uneventful time on the island, myself. I've been lucky, but I know not everyone has been as fortunate. I was doubly lucky to find Joachim. The girl I was traveling with snapped shortly after and tried to kill him in his sleep. If I hadn't found him, that could have been me.... I hope you've haven't suffered too badly in the last few days."

He leaned down and brushed some of the sand off of his pants and observed the two new people they had come across. He jumped off the rock and walked up to Zubin.

"What about your silent friend, here?" he asked Claire with a hint of a laugh in his voice. "He hasn't said a word to us since we arrived. I know this is a dangerous place, but I try to keep my manners at least."

He bent down and waved.

"Helloooo Zubin. I know I'm not a pretty girl like Claire, but you could still say hello," he said cheerfully. "How have you been?"
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

"Helloooo Zubin. I know I'm not a pretty girl like Claire, but you could still say hello. How have you been?"

A "pretty girl?" Seriously? Was Paris actually trying to get into someone's pants now? Even Zubin realized that sex in a game like this was a tall order. Zubin was going to have to really buck this one up before booking it with Claire at the earliest convenience.

"Uuuh. Yeah. Sorry. I've ... just been having it a little rough as well. Even took a nut shot. Guess we're all under a little stress, huh?" Zubin sighed.

Version 8
Kaede Tsurumi: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!"
Morgan Whitney
Tyler Slomkowski
Victor Grail: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all."
[+] Version 7
Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

The situation was growing more and more baffling. Was Paris trying to provoke Zubin? Should he be ready for that? Why do it in the first place?

And why had Zubin and Claire barely so much as glanced at him since he came in? Not that he was opposed to being ignored, but it was...curious. Nearly everyone he'd encountered had been uncomfortable or outright hostile to his presence, but these two seemed altogether more concerned with Paris.

He certainly had a dominating presence. Was he doing it on purpose, though? Was he trying to distract them from Joachim, and if so, why? What was his motivation? What was Joachim meant to do?

Thinking back on all of his encounters with Paris, he realized that question rang through all of them. Paris rarely gave him specific directions or instructions. Things just...happened. And they always seemed to go in a way that ultimately pleased him.

Troubling.

Joachim kept silent for now, continuing to bury the body deep within the sands. The sooner it vanished, the sooner they could leave. The sooner he could stop thinking.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Claire continued to push sand into the hole with Joachim. She stayed quiet the whole time, although she did raise an eyebrow when Paris said she was a "pretty girl" to Zubin. No one besides her mom ever said she was pretty. She accepted long ago that she was plain looking, but then got over it quickly and moved on with her life. Paris was probably just shitting with her anyways.

Claire pushed some more sand in the grave and realized that they had managed to completely cover Corey.

"Alright. We're done," she said to the boys.

Claire stood up, wiping her hands on her pants, adding to the amount of sand that was on them. She looked over the grave. It was rough, but it was enough to cover Corey. At the least, it should keep him away from the seagulls. Claire looked around the beach around her. She did notice a piece of driftwood laying on the sand nearby. She walked over to it and picked it up, turning it over in her hands to inspect it. It was a long piece of wood, not too wide, but it felt pretty sturdy. It would have to do. The sun was going down, and she didn't have too much time to waste.

Claire walked back to the grave and stuck the piece of driftwood into the ground. She then hammered the top of the wood with her hand until it was deep into the sand. She would have gotten a better marker, but her options were limited. Once she looked at the marker, she lowered her head, closed her eyes, and clasped her hands together. She fell silent. She had a prayer to make, and she didn't really want the boys to hear it.

Corey, if you can hear this, I'm sorry I wasn't able to save you. I don't know what I could have done to help, but part of me wishes I found you earlier so I could treat you. I guess it's no use though. I couldn't be there for Chuck, Alex, Amy, Kyle, or Jack either. I just hope you're in a better place now. I hope you're hanging out with the others, drinking beer on a warm summer evening, just enjoying your peace. I'm sure the rest of us will be there soon. Thank you for being my friend, and rest in peace.

Claire did the signs of the cross and opened her eyes, adjusting to the waning daylight. It was done, and it was time to move on.

"This is the last one I bury," she muttered to herself.

Claire walked past the grave and over to her bag, picking it and the flashlight up.

"Corey had some requests for me," she told the boys. "Sean Mulcahy, Gray Emerson, Rachael Langdon, Tim Abrams, and Michael Mitchellson. I have to find them and deliver his final words to him."

Claire put the bag over her shoulder and held the flashlight in her right hand.

"Thank you for your help," she told them, "but I need to go. I don't think I have a lot of time to find those five, and I'll be faster if I go on my own.

Claire brushed some hair out of her face. She realized how dangerous it might sound to say she'd go off on her own. Still, she could give them some reassurances, if it would make them feel better.

"I can take care of myself, so you don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine."

Claire turned to Paris and Joachim and nodded at them.

"Thanks for helping. I'm glad there are some non-psychos left here. Try to keep it that way."

She then turned to Zubin. Part of her was still pissed off at how he explained his escape plan to her. However, he did do her and Corey a favor, so she could let him down gently.

"Sorry, but I don't think I believe in your escape plan. I don't think I can help you, and I don't think you can make it work. I think we're bad for each other. Just take care of yourself, and don't do anything stupid."

Claire was about to turn and leave, but she focused back on Zubin.

"Oh, and that includes saying you're planning an orgy. Come on, man."

Claire turned away and began to run away from the grotto. She didn't have long to find people while it was still light out, so she needed to hurry to the town. It was a large area to cover, but if she was to find five people, the odds were that they'd be in one of the few sheltered areas in town.

Claire grasped tightly on the flashlight as she continued to run over the soft sand. She had her mission, and she was determined to carry it out.

((Claire Monaghan continued in L'Avventura))
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Paris watched her leave. She wasn't rich in resources, neither in materials nor as a person. He didn't see any real reason to keep her there.

"Alright, good luck" he said sunnily.

He turned to Joachim, hips on hands and swept a palm across his forehead.

"I think we should continue on. It's been nice, Zubin."

and with that they left.

((Paris Ardennes continued in The Secret Fate of All Life ))
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

((Breaking post order to exit the DZ))

Paris was ready to leave. Finally. This was getting tiresome, and progressively more pointless. Still, part of him was disappointed. Once again, he had no idea what they'd been trying to accomplish here, or if they succeeded. That feeling of uncertainty just wouldn't be silenced. Ever since he'd left Jaq, he'd felt rather...directionless. Paris was supposed to change that.

But Joachim knew as little with Paris as he had on his own. That frustrated him. How was he meant to take directions that were never given in the first place? How was he meant to serve Paris's plan when Paris, by all appearances other than his own, smug satisfaction, had no plan?

Troubling.

It wouldn't due to confront him now. Later, perhaps, when it was just the two of them.

Later, it would all make sense.

((Joachim Lovelace Continued I Was Once Alive))
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

Well, that went well, kinda ...

The burial was finished, and Claire left with some parting words: Good luck, and quit talking about an island-wide fuckfest, even if it is a lie. Then Paris and Joachim left. And he was all alone again. Which was, meh. If he stayed in the right spot, nobody could hurt him, but it also meant he was on his own. Again.

((Zubin Wadia continued in The World According to Third Grade))

Version 8
Morgan Whitney
Tyler Slomkowski
[+] Version 7

Return to “Dead Man's Grotto”