Heath Redfield

Still better then student debt

Characters who are approved for the game are stored here.

Moderator: SOTF U Staff

NoLife42069
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Heath Redfield

Post by NoLife42069 »

Name: Heath "field field" Redfield
Field of Study: Psychology and Education

Physical Description: Heath stands at exactly 6 feet tall and 200 pounds. His body is lean with only slight muscle on the arms, but a toned and fit body. He has black hair and dirty brown eyes, with black framed glasses. His hair is in a semi-permeant frizzy, afro stemming form, his insistence on never combing it. He has a pair of thin eyebrows and a straight nose. He is African American, with brown skin. Heath also has a small scar above his right eye from an incident in his childhood and a black mole on the right side of his chin.

Heath has a habit of always wearing jeans even when the weather calls for something cooler. He almost always wears casual wear with an onyx necklace that he received from his late grandfather.

On the day of the abduction, he was wearing a pair of black jeans, black combat boots, a white T-shirt for the anime Re-Zero, a pair of black leather gloves, a black and red hoodie, and his onyx necklace.

Background:
  • Born in Cleveland, Ohio to Jessica and Justin Redfield. Heath is the youngest of three siblings, a brother who a four years older and a sister who is ten years older. They were kind and loving while pushing Heath to be the best he could be.
  • Heath grew up in a poor household, and while he was never hungry or left wanting, the various problems that came with not having much money still weighed on his mind. Because of this Heath grew up to be a very frugal and money-conscious person.
  • When Heath was seven while playing in the dining room he hit his head on a shelf necessitating a trip to the hospital and stitches to the wound.
  • During elementary through middle school, Heath was active and well-liked by his peers. Heath participated in several athletic activities, such as track and soccer.
  • It was also around this time when Heath was diagnosed with ADHD and he began to take medication.
  • Heath was also the shortest in his class, for which he received much ridicule. Heath would remain short up to his junior year of high school.
  • When Heath was in the 7th grade, he was bullied by some of his classmates for his height and passive nature. From this Heath developed an anxiety disorder, while it is mostly social anxiety it affects all parts of his life and lasts even now.
  • The bullying caused Heath to build walls around himself, he started to become sarcastic and callous which only made the bullying worse. Add the fact of his habit of bottling up his emotions, and his insistence on handling them by himself left him feeling even more alone than before.
  • When Heath reached the 8th grade the bullying reached its peak and while Heath was at his lowest point he met a boy named Devin. They shared a lot, including a love for video games and anime. It was Devin who got Heath into macabre, Heath took a liking to horror movies such as Saw, and Hostel took an interest in the torture methods. Heath loves gore and loves to watch gory movies.
  • Devin gave Heath the companionship he needed in his darkest hour. The two are still close friends to this day. So close that they often refer to each as brothers.
  • The second core pillar of Heath's mental health was his grandfather. Heath's grandfather, James, was a strong and seasoned old man who had a penchant for superhero comics. heath looked to his grandfather as inspiration for who he wanted to be, and the story's told by his grandfather brought him so much delight that every time Heath saw James he would practically be glued to his leg.
  • James enjoyed meditation and would always encourage Heath to join him. From middle school to mid-high school Heath would practice tai chi with his grandfather. Unfortunately, after being neglected for years Heath no longer remembers much of the techniques he learned.
  • Heath's high school life left him making few but close friends and more of an inclination to stay home and be alone, much to the worry of his parents.
  • Heath's parents signed him up for many programs and activities to try to get him out of the house more. Instead, it only made him go deeper into solitude. Around this time Heath grew an interest in psychology and weaponry. with a particular liking for knives and guns. Heath loved the different designs and patterns of the weapons and the history that went into them. Even to this day Heath collects different knives and plans to collect guns in the future. When asked Heath makes it clear that he has no plan to use any of them, save for the knives for cooking, and are strictly for collection purposes.
  • It is also at this time that Heath got his first dog Paxton, named after a character in Hostel. Since then Heath has had two more dogs, another German shepherd named Ripley, and a Siberian husky named Jewel. While walking Paxton, Ripley, and Jewel Heath started to work out jogging in the morning every day, even after moving to Washington.
  • During junior year of high school Heath's grandfather died. Heath was so distraught by his passing that he enter a month-long depression, where he refused to leave his room save for eating and using the bathroom. Heath only started making real progress when he received an onyx necklace that his grandfather would have given him before his passing. Ever since Heath has cherished it and seldom takes it off.
  • Heath passed high school with high marks due to his desire to continue his education with his dream to be a phycology teacher. One of the reasons why is his desire to make sure no children were bullied like him. This motivated him to push himself to achieve his goal. He decided on the University of Cascadia. A big reason was because of the scholarships, and its focus on the sciences. The other was a need for a change of pace.
  • After moving to Washington and staying at the dorms Heath quickly adapted to college life. Spending a large amount of time focusing on studying, mostly reading.
  • Rarely goes to parties and spends most of his time alone. Heath decided after his 21st birthday to be more outgoing and to lower some of the walls that had been there since 7th grade in hopes that it may ease his anxiety.
  • A year after this plan has proven to be fruitful leaving him happier and with a brighter outlook on life. While Heath still does not have many friends he is still happier that the number has increased. He has gone from a student no one knew to someone that is at least known and somewhat well-liked. When Heath heard about the retreat he jumped on the opportunity. Not only was it easy credits but it was also a new experience and a form of excitement.
Skills and Interests: macabre and gory movies, playing video games, socializing, weapons and collecting, and taking care of animals.

Assets: His interest in the macabre and gore has made him sufficiently desensitized to gore and could give him the edge needed to kill. His body is on the fit side since he makes it a habit of doing a jog every morning.
Limitations: His anxiety could bite him at the worse moments, with paranoia and stress. Because of his isolationist tendencies, there are few people he could count on as potential allies. Heath also holds an extreme attachment to his necklace which could easily be used against him.
Cicadan

Post by Cicadan »

[+] critique
He Has a pair of thin eyebrows
Typo.
Heath has a habit of always wearing jeans not. Even when weather calls for something with more ventilation.
I think these sentences were supposed to be combined? Ventilation is also an odd word in this context (I can't definitively guess what you're trying to say) so I'd recommend picking different verbiage.
late grandfather
Missing your punctuation there.
A pair of black jeans
A is inappropriately capitalized there.
a brother with a four years older and a sister with a ten years older
Correct phrasing here would be 'a brother who is four years older and a sister who is ten years older'.
mostly social anxiety it effects
Affects is the one you're looking for here, not effects.
Which last even now.
This is a sentence fragment, either fuse it into the previous sentence or make it stand alone with a proper subject (like 'his social anxiety still affects him to this day' or the like)
When Heath reached the 8th grade.
This, for example. You seem to chop up sentences a bit too much, I'd watch for that while making edits.
It was Devin who got Heath into macabre.
It's vague, what sorts of expressions of the macabre Heath is into. That could take a lot of forms- horror movies? Gore videos on the deep web? Gothic aesthetics? I'd like some specifics.

What sorts of hobbies did he have at home? I think that question extends into the above. Also related to this, more detail as to how he expressed his interest in weapons. This will tie into another critique I have later.

Also, how well did he academically perform in high school? Since he developed a focused goal on going to college to become a psychologist and help bullied children, did his grades match this goal considering the conflict and disaffection he probably had for his school environment at the time?
dream to be a phycology teacher
Typo.

Could you go into some details about the steps he took to get more social? Did his plan work out, did he have to compromise his academic goals, what difficulties did he run into, et cetera.
Heath Has fascination with the macabre and things of that nature
As I said above, we need more specifics. An interest in the macabre isn't really an interest strictly speaking, this should be detailing the specific media and interests he has exposing him to such things.

More generally speaking, the Skills/Interests segment takes the form of a list of items, you don't need to go into as much detail as you do. You could lay out your current Skills/Interests like this:
Macabre things, video games, socializing, weapons and collecting, animal caretaking
Also, anything put in Skills/Interests needs to be given explanation in the background events- his love of animals never comes up, so that needs to be added.
His interest in macabre could give him the edge needed to be able to kill as with his knowledge on weapons could make him quite dangerous if given the right weapon.

I don't agree that this is an advantage quantifiably, unless he is actively practicing with knives and guns just knowing things about them probably doesn't give him a competitive edge. Theoretical knowledge falls apart in the face of reality and all that.
his body is on the fit side since he makes it a habit of doing a jog every morning.
His exercise habits are missing from the background- if he is fit, go more into that.
Heath's knowledge in the field of psychology could make him more able to make allies.
Theoretical versus practical, again. Easier to justify this is you go more off his recent return to being active socially. If he's been a leader in his new social groups or the like I could see it.
His ADHD would also be a detriment with hyperactivity, he may end up getting himself shot.
To make his ADHD a disadvantage I'd want more detail on how it affects him in his daily life, in his background details. You could also go into how he may have difficulty specifically without his medication, so on.
Heath also holds an extreme attachment to his necklace which could easily be used against him.
Also doesn't come up in the background.
Upcoming:

Second Chances V3 (deconreconfirmed):
Relations Thread!
Olivia Fischer (original handler, Maraoone)
Memories: 1 Pregame: 1
Faith Marshal-Mackenzie (original handler, Frozen Smoke)
Sayuna Lewis (original handler, Cicada)
Princess McQuillan (original handler, Cicada)
Pregame: 1
NoLife42069

Post by NoLife42069 »

Opps
Cicadan

Post by Cicadan »

[+] also removed the extra posts you made as a note make one post and wait for staff critique in the future
Heath has a habit of always wearing jeans not even when the weather calls for something cooler.
You wouldn't need not in this sentence.
received from his late, grandfather
Looking for a period to end the sentence, not a comma.

There's an empty bullet point after the bullet point about his dogs.
weapons, and collecting
Remove the comma after weapons and add one after collecting.
Heath also holds a love for animals, his favorite being dogs, so much so that after college he plans on owning several different types of animals
I would call this whole idea 'having pets' or 'taking care of animals' or the like.
His interest in the macabre could give him the edge needed to be able to kill
I think this makes sense now but I'd want you to specify that he watches sufficient amounts of gore videos and such that he'd be desensitized, to properly qualify the advantage.
Heath's knowledge in the field of psychology could make him more able to make allies.
Still doesn't make such, considering you've said he has yet to make many friends in U of Cascadia since he's returned to being more outgoing. My recommendation would be to go into what sort of friend he is, perhaps he's the manipulative sort who can modify his behavior to appeal to people?
His ADHD would also be a detriment with hyperactivity, he may end up getting himself shot.

Heath also holds an extreme attachment to his necklace which could easily be used against him.
Both of these still need to be clarified in the background details. Talk about how his grandpa died and why he has such an attachment to him to the point of pathology, talk about the effects of his ADHD on his youth and his dependence on his medicine to function, stuff like that. Assets/Limitations need to be explored enough in the Background section to where we the readers can understand how those traits might translate to the environment on the island when kidnapped.
Upcoming:

Relations Thread!
NoLife42069

Post by NoLife42069 »

It has just occurred to me that I should probably mention that I have updated it

I'm sorry.

I have the IQ of a goldfish
Cicadan

Post by Cicadan »

Yes, be sure to post an update whenever you've finished edits for a profile.

Approved.
Upcoming:

Relations Thread!

Return to “SOTF: U Approved Characters”