Only The Good Die Young

Bye bye! Way to die!

North of the residential area, at the foot of the northern peak, a grove of tangerine trees grows. Unlike the forest that blankets much of the island, the trees here are in neat rows, and fruit may be found on them. This also means that wildlife is especially abundant here, as birds come for the fruit, and feral cats come for the birds.

Moderator: BRAU2 Director

Gundham

Only The Good Die Young

Post by Gundham »

((Yukie Utsumi continued from elsewhere))

The escape from the well house hadn't been dignified. Once they'd slipped out the back, Utsumi had pulled Megumi into a dead sprint, hoping to outrun any of Kiriyama's underlings who might have been lurking nearby. They hadn't agreed on a direction, because where they were running to matter much, much less than what and who they were running from.

They didn't stop until they heard the announcements ringing out. Any hopes that Utsumi might have harbored for a peaceful outcome were crushed. Four people were already dead. A jerk like Niida wasn't a shock, but Hiroki? Who'd kill a guy like him?

Utsumi dropped her bag to the ground, breathing heavily. Was this really how it was going to be? Would everyone start killing each other, and never stop? She didn't want to accept that. She wouldn't. She would find a way to protect Megumi, and anybody else who needed it.

But first... she was exhausted, and dreadfully thirsty. She knelt and unzipped her bag, mindful of whatever had sliced her finger open earlier. Something shiny was in there. She gingerly touched it. Metal. A knife? Yes, she could make out the handle. It was a kitchen knife, like the ones she and her mother used to chop up vegetables for supper. She carefully pushed it to one side, and pulled out a water bottle. After a few gulps, she wiped her mouth and turned to look at Megumi.

"Blah... I'm exhausted. I haven't had to run like this in a long time. How are you doing?"
AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by AnimeNerd »

[[She wasn't sure what to think anymore]]

Megumi was tired. Really tired. Not just wanting to sleep or sit down tired-though she was those kinds of tired too.

She was mostly tired of feeling blindsided though. She thinks it's a field trip to Kyushu, and they're in the Program. She thinks she's got a safe place to stay, Shimizu shows up. She gets a chance to tell her off, she's rewarded with a bullet to the chest. She finds an ally, someone she thought she could trust and let her know how Program stuff works, and he's working with Kazuo Kiriyama.

It was frustrating. She knew bad things would happen here, but all of this, all so suddenly?

And then the announcements, and it felt somehow worse. Yoshio, unfortunately, wasn't very surprising-Megumi would bet money it was one of his tormentors that killed him. Kazushi was partially surprising, since he was on the athletic side, but his attitude was enough to make him a target, she guessed. Yutaka was also not shocking, sadly-all it would take is another person that didn't find him very funny and it was a bullet to the chest.

Hiroki, though...how? The idea of fighting him almost sounded like a Herculean task to her. He was a martial artist, and the girls in class that didn't like Shinji or Shūya had a crush on him, probably. And he was one of the first to die? It just...it sounded wrong. Like a joke that no one can laugh at.

Megumi leaned against a tree as Yukie looked through her own bag, lost in thought. She held back doing the same, just taking in one deep breath of air after the other. It only once the other girl asked a question that she had her attention again.

"I'm...alright...I think," she said between breaths. "Just kinda...sad, I guess."

She probably shouldn't, at this point. She had someone that she could actually trust, now. Sure her and Yukie weren't the closest, but she had lead Megumi out of that scare with Kawada and Kiriyama. And she was being nice to her all the while! It was really nice to have a friendly face around!

She couldn't help those feelings though. She knew she didn't really know Kawada, but the betrayal still hurt. He gave her fruit and advice, only to try and lead her into a trap.

Well, it's not like it could get any worse at least, right?
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

((Chisato Matsui continued from Playin' With Destiny))

Chisato was feeling a bit aimless while heading towards the orchard and she was still thinking about the announcement, feeling a bit of despair. Hearing Yoshio's name being confirmed wasn't as surprising as she thought it would be. She still felt heartache over him really being gone and she was going to make sure to not run into Kiriyama's gang.

She wasn't surprised that Niida was dead as he was a sporty jerk who had been a bit slimy towards the girls in school, but she knows that no one deserved to die because of that. She felt bad that Seto was dead as well as he had been a very sweet, naive guy and the fact that he was Shinji's best friend was making her feel worse. She hoped that Shinji was doing okay as she didn't know what it was like to lose a friend. Losing a family member on the other hand....

She could hear some voices while she was walking pass some trees and she kept a tight grip on her knife by her side. Familiar, female voices.

She stepped out into the open area and she felt relieved at who she was seeing.

"Yukie! Megumi!"
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

Utsumi looked sadly at Megumi. "Yeah..."

That was it? That was all she had to say? A forlorn "Yeah" trailing off into silence? How many times had she stood in front of the class to do announcements or given presentations? She could have talked endlessly about why it was important not to roll your skirt up or leave your shirt untucked, or given a whole series of lectures about algebraic structures or the differences between tanka and waka poems. But when someone was hurting, when they'd just escaped from being betrayed by someone they trusted, all she could summon up was "Yeah"? Some great leader she'd turned out to be.

She tried to think of something better to say, something that'd at least help Megumi feel better, but was interrupted by the appearance of another girl. "Ah? Chisato? Is that you?"

Utsumi ran up to her, with arms outstretched for a hug. "I'm so glad we found you! Have you seen any of the others?"
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Seemed like Yukie always knew what to say, even in bad times.

It was probably weird, and Megumi would admit it, but she didn't think she could take well meaning words right now. They wouldn't really do much. Even if it was just to put her mind at ease, she wasn't sure she wanted that. She was going to be thrown away from any good moods soon enough, so why not avoid good moods altogether?

...jeez, that was depressing to think about. She wanted good moods, really, it was just...once they were off the island together, she could do it. Here, when there's danger potentially around every corner, it feels like a liability-she thinks that's the right word. It would make things worse if not kept in check. But once they were somewhere else, she might feel a little more confident in being happy.

And maybe it was stupid to think they could both get out of here alive, but she didn't care. There were a lot of good people on this island, with Yukie being one of them. So long as they found the right people...maybe they could do it. If it's possible to make dinosaurs from mosquitos and for The Dictator to have 324 people before him, why couldn't they get off this island with more than one of their classmates alive?

It was good thinking time, and Megumi appreciated Yukie for letting her have it. Especially when another presence made herself known.

"Chisato?"

She wasn't the closest with the girl-certainly not like Yukie was, if the hug was any hint-but any friendly face that wasn't dangerous was good enough for her. Enough for her to follow the class rep toward Chisato, even if she wasn't going to hug her.

While Yukie handled one question, Megumi couldn't help but ask a question of her own, nerves prodding at her own fears.

"Are you alright? You're not hurt, are you?"

It sounded so Mom-ish, but she couldn't help it! After the few hours she's had-nearly getting stabbed, actually getting shot, and whatever Kawada and Kiriyama may've had planned-she felt like she had a right to worry about people. It was only decent, really.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Chisato felt like she was crying on the inside. She did know if it was because of the stress and trauma from everything that had happened so far or if it was because of the relief and joy that she was feeling from finding two friendly faces that she hoped she could trust. She could only feel warmth from the hug that Yukie wrapped her up in and she had to awkwardly give the other girl a half-hug back in return as her other hand was taken up by her trusty knife.

"I'm just glad that you two are alright." Chisato said with a small smile and she pulled herself out of the hug slowly, shaking her head a little. "No, no. I haven't seen any of the other girls yet. I hope they are all okay..."

She didn't want to mention the three people she had either been with or encountered. Yoshio, Ryuhei, Hirono. She wasn't really ready to talk about any of that yet. She glanced at Megumi when she was asking her own questions and she wanted to be honest and say that she was never going to be okay. But she didn't want to be too negative for the girls. She couldn't do that to them.

"I'm as fine as I can be, to be honest, Megumi." She wasn't really lying per say. Not really. Maybe. "No, no one has hurt me yet. I'm... I got really lucky over not getting hurt physically."

Very lucky indeed.
Catche Jagger
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Catche Jagger »

((Kayoko Kotohiki continued from Crush))

Kayoko hadn’t been able to leave the orchard since, even though morning had come. Though she still hadn’t taken a proper look at what remained of Sugimura, she found it must have had some sort of pull on her, as she could not bring herself to completely leave it behind.

She had watched the three other girls meet up from her place beside one of the tangerine trees. They hadn’t noticed her, just like they hadn’t noticed the corpse they were sharing space with.

For a while, she considered whether she should take this as a sign that she should finally leave, slipping away without being seen by the trio. It would be safer, to be sure.

“Hey.” Kayoko’s voice was quiet, not sure whether or not it wanted to be heard.
[+] Characters
[+] PV3 Prologue
M35-Muhammad Abbasi - "Hey, it’s okay now. We’re both in this together, right?"
PV3P: 1-2-3-4 | After: 1

M38-Nathan Kirchhoff - "Shit."
PV3P: 1-2-3-4
[+] TV3
ImageCK08FR04 - James Highchurch - “Okay, yeah. Exit strategy. I’ll… Yeah, I’ll think about that.”
Memories: 1 | Sandbox: 1
TV3: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19

ImageBC05 - Gabriela Garcia-Campos - “This is how things are here, the way the show is. So I need to get over it.”
Memories: 1 | Sandbox: 1-2-3
TV3: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14
[+] AUs
International
O19 - Archibald "Archie" Harper - "That’s why we’ve gotta fight the fuck back, one step at a time."
International: 1-2-3

O11 - Jen Mara Tuiqamea (adopted from Cicada and jimmydalad)
International: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

Supers
Alan Melnyk - "What you’ve gotta do is say ‘fuck em’ and keep doing you."
Memories: 1-2-3
Supers: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11
After: 1-2-3
[+] The Future
Second Chances
Aditi Sharma
Desiree Beck
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

Utsumi knew Chisato well enough to notice the way she specified that she hadn't been hurt "physically." Had someone else hurt her in another way? Emotionally? Mentally? She'd definitely have to follow up with her about that later. Anybody who wanted to hurt Chisato, death game or no death game, was gonna have to go through her to do it. For now, though, she just gave her an encouraging half-smile. But before she could actually verbalize anything else on her mind, she heard a still small voice from a little ways away.

"Hey."

Utsumi turned to see Kayoko Kotohiki. The other girl's form was mostly hidden by one of the tangerine trees, like she was purposely shielding herself. "Oh, hey! Kayoko, is that you?"

She took a step or two towards the other girl. "Are you okay? You're not hurt or anything, are you?"
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Jeez, things had barely even started and girls are being put through the ringer, or however that phrase goes. It was a good thing Chisato hadn't been hurt physically, but the same thing could be said for Megumi, so it wasn't entirely comforting to hear.

She managed a small smile of her own before another person made her presence known, and the expression was wiped off her face.

That's not to say Kayoko was frightening, it was more like...something seemed...off? Like-ugh, she hates that it's from another island of death story, but it makes her think of when the T-rex escapes in Jurassic Park, or right before that happens. Nothing is technically wrong yet, but it feels like it easily could-one bad step and suddenly she's bitten in half and left to bleed out.

It was mean but it was true! Like, four people were dead by now! And she knows Kayoko probably wouldn't hurt a fly, but-wait.

What was that smell?
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Chisato turned her head when she heard Kayoko's voice and she almost felt relieved to see another friend with them. Almost. She noticed that Kayoko wasn't looking okay and she was almost tempted to go over to her to comfort her. But it seemed that Yukie was taking care of things and Chisato didn't want to interrupt.

She glanced at the knife in her hand and she thought that it might make Kayoko uncomfortable if she saw it. She moved to the side a little and made sure to keep it hidden. She wanted to make sure that everyone was feeling safe for now.

She looked back over at Kayoko and Yukie quietly, hoping that everything was going to be okay.
Catche Jagger

Post by Catche Jagger »

Kayoko was silent for a moment as her words did manage to catch the attention of the other girls. She remained silent for a moment, eyes turned downward, still deciding what to do. Her fingers gripped the gun at her side a little tighter.

“I… I’m fine. I’m not hurt. It’s just-” She cut herself off, swallowing. Kayoko needed to say something, to explain herself.

“I watched Seto die. He was shot and I just ran and ran. The next person I met was Hiroki and he-” Her voice cracked slightly, catching her off guard, “...he was blown up. Just over there.” Kayoko gestured vaguely in the direction she’d left Sugimura’s remains, not tracking the move with her own eyes. If she had, she’d have made more note of the slight quiver in her hand.

“I-I’ve just…” Kayoko’s words trailed off as her gaze properly returned to the others, tears beginning to form in her eyes.
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

"Oh, Kayoko..." Utsumi's heart broke for her. Four deaths already, and poor Kayoko had been forced to watch two of them? She didn't deserve that. The poor girl's trembling hands, her voice... Utsumi could only imagine how much she was suffering right now.

Tears began to bead in her own eyes as she took another few steps towards the other girl. "I'm so sorry. I can't... I just can't believe you had to watch something like that. But you've got us now, right? You're safe with us."

She glanced over in the direction Kayoko had indicated. Hiroki was over there. Hiroki, her classmate, was over there, and he was dead. Someone had killed Hiroki over there, someone had blown Hiroki up, over there. The longer she looked, the more her mind played tricks on her. There were shadows in the orchard, and specks of dirt and fallen fruit littered the grass. But her mind told her that maybe, just maybe, those shadows were scorch marks, and that dirt was little specks of ash and debris, and the squishy pulpy fruit, well... it could be a lot of things, none of which were good. She shook her head. If just hearing about Hiroki's death could send her mind to such dark places, how much worse would it have been to see it firsthand?
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Oh...oh, God...

Hiroki died here.

Hiroki...died here.

That horrible smell. The one that distracted her. It Hiroki. Charbroiled Sugimura.

She wanted to scream. She wanted to sob. She wanted to hurl. She wanted to run. It was awful-so, so awful.

Megumi stepped back, a little closer to Chisato, hand hovering over her mouth, feeling tears prick at her eyes.

"Who...who would even do that?"
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Chisato didn't know what she could really say to Kayoko. She felt terrible over the other girl seeing two people die and she couldn't believe that Hiroki had died so close to them. She felt herself tensing up when she glanced over at Hiroki's charred remains and she let out an upset, shaky breath.

She huddled closer to Megumi, feeling a surge of protectiveness coming over her for a few moments.

"K...Kayoko." Was all that she could say in that moment.

What else could she really say?
Catche Jagger

Post by Catche Jagger »

Yukie was standing very close to Kayoko now, just a few steps ahead. Still, Kayoko remained rooted to her spot by the tree, her gaze dodging past Yuki’s reassurances and instead turning towards Eto’s question.

“I… don’t know. Someone hurled a bomb out of the darkness.” Kayako paused for a shaky inhale. “It all happened so fast.”

Then her eyes returned to Yukie’s, but only hesitantly.

“I just- I keep thinking about them both, you know?” She sniffled, her voice growing quiet again. “Like, how does somebody kill their classmate and run off? What kind of person does that make them?”

Return to “Orchard (E8)”