IN THE FUTURE THERE'S A PARTY FROM THE PAST

open (no post order)

Saint Paul is the capitol of the state of Minnesota. With over 330,000 inhabitants, it is the second largest city in the state, roughly 75% the size of adjacent Minneapolis. Together, the two are known as The Twin Cities, and form the core of a large metropolitan area. This forum encompasses general activity in Saint Paul proper, and also in the metropolitan area as a whole, and anything one could reasonably get up to in a city may be portrayed here.
Salic

IN THE FUTURE THERE'S A PARTY FROM THE PAST

Post by Salic »

If one were to be in Iris Park at 10:30pm tonight, they would hear much more noise than one would expect, even in the city. If they followed the noise trail upwards, gazing at the top floor of the soulless tower of concrete, steel, and glass, they would find themselves viewing the flashing of LED lights across the color spectrum, hearing the throbbing bass and loud electronic pulsing, and wondering why there was a party happening on an ordinary Saturday in late April.

For the students of Aurora Bay, however, it was more than a party; it was an event. Mikki Swift, in all her infinite wisdom, was throwing a party at her legendary penthouse.

It wasn't the first time this happened, but now that it was so late in senior year, there was a very distinct possibility that it would be the last. While Mikki would love to pride herself on climbing Aurora Bay's social ladder through her natural people skills, she quietly admitted to herself that throwing numerous good parties and being an active attendee in the scene did most of the heavy lifting. Thus, she felt it was only fitting to throw one last hurrah before they all graduated and she stopped seeing or caring about 99% of them. It was a celebration of the end of an era, where the little fish were unceremoniously dumped into the big pond, and some of them would rise to rule the waves while most of them would be eaten by the bell curve of mediocrity.

Since this really was the final time she'd flex her hosting muscles to the student body of Aurora Bay, Mikki pulled out most of the stops. The music was louder, the playlist specially curated for an extravaganza of this level. The usual party snacks were upgraded to hors d'oeuvres, and Mikki made a mental note to graciously thank the personal chefs later. The beer was upgraded too, and a selection of local craft beers stocked the fridges instead of the usual watered-down piss that masqueraded as beer. If there was one thing that she wasn't relaxing, it was the 'No More than Two Beers' policy that had been in place since the beginning. There was no way in hell she was letting some drunk loser crash at her place, and her location near the center of the Twin Cities metropolitan area meant it was quite a walk, drive, or subway ride from the homes of most of her classmates. The alcohol sign-in sheet was there to force everyone to comply with that rule. Mikki was not going to be responsible for some idiot crashing their car into a streetlight or stumbling in front of a train.

That was why she was situated in the strategically sound location of her kitchen. The penthouse was a wide open space, and the boundary between the living room and the kitchen was effectively non-existent barring the island that Mikki inhabited. Even better, the kitchen was slightly elevated in comparison to the rest of the area, which gave her a bit of a height advantage so she could spot any signs of stupidity and intervene before it got out of hand. It was also, of course, adjacent to the fridge, so she could easily control the flow of booze among the partygoers.

Despite the seemingly foolproof plan, there was one unanticipated issue: Mikki was exhausted.

She'd stayed up all night producing a new song, and had spent hours setting up the lights, speakers, and tables, doing a beer run, getting the food ready, and barricading parts of the penthouse that she had no intention of letting people into. While the hard work had definitely paid off, two hours into the whole shebang and she could feel the throes of sleep ebbing from the back of her brain. She knew that her tiredness reflected in her appearance, too: her hair was mussed, she was lacking any of the usual accessories, and aside from the ubiquitous white Supreme hoodie, all she had were wrinkled sweatpants- sweatpants- that she yoinked from the dryer. After everything else she had done today, Mikki couldn't be bothered with playing dress-up for guests in her own fucking house.

So there she was, sitting atop the kitchen island, legs dangling from the side, scrolling idly through her phone. The playlist she'd worked so hard on failed to pierce the sleepiness that surrounded her ears, and the roar of guests laughing and shouting and conversing only dimly registered. Her vigilance had fallen. She was currently ensconced in her own little world, and she was thoroughly unprepared for any partygoer who may or may not have ambled over towards the kitchen during her moment of distraction.
[+] PRESENT
SECOND CHANCES V3
Mikki Swift - "With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bree Jones - "The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them." - Queen Victoria
Serena Waters - "You cannot make a revolution in white gloves." - Vladimir Lenin
[+] PAST
BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
[ERROR: RELATIONSHIP THREAD UNAVAILABLE.]
[ERROR: APPEARANCE TRACKER UNAVAILABLE.]
B1: Yoshio Akamatsu - "Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” - Lyndon B. Johnson
Assigned Weapon: Sickle
Location: The die was cast in Farm Storage (H6) - Iacta Alea Est
Pregame History: 1
In-Game History: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
B7: Yoshitoki Kuninobu - "When the sword of rebellion is drawn, the sheath must be thrown away." - John Copley
Assigned Weapon: Czechoslovakian CZ 75 Semi-Automatic Pistol
Location: He took the fall for an enemy in Residential Area (H/I8) - Peace Village: Brother's Blood
In-Game History: 1 - 2 -

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker
S027: Claudia Salgado - "The optimist may fail, but the pessimist already begins failing." - Juscelino Kubitschek
Assigned Weapon: [ERROR: WEAPON UNAVAILABLE.]
Gift: Flashbang
Location: She stared death in the face in The Outskirts - Out Run
Pregame History: 1 - 2
In-Game History: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

SOTF-U V1:
Relationship Thread
P003: Elizabeth Rodney - ”I demolish my bridges behind me... then there is no choice but to move forward.” - Fridtjof Nansen
Assigned Weapon: Obedience to Authority + Altor Survival Pistol
Location: She met up with her beloveds in The Powerhouse - Burning Down the House
Pregame History: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
In-game History: 1
[+] FUTURE
SOTF-TV V4:
Christian Graf von Helder - “I’ll be a big noise with all the big boys!” - Peter Gabriel
Francisco Ordaz Santander - ”I am responsible only to God and history.” - Francisco Franco

INTERMISSIONS:
Sophia Mirowski - "Be strong in the belief that life is wonderful." - Valery Sablin
Lee Iker
Stanley Mirowski - "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Nietzsche

SOTF-SUPERS V2:
Kendra Kuchel - ”If we value so highly the dignity of life, how can we not also value the dignity of death? No death may be called futile.” - Yukio Mishima
Nichelle Damen - ”All our knowledge- past, present, and future- is nothing compared to what we will never know.” - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2:
Kazimierz Krzyzewski - ”At dawn it is not just the night that dies, it is man and his becoming, and the warm blood staining the pavement is a word that is just starting.” - Ricardo Mannerini
Raqel Poghosyan
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

Mary did not drink. Steadfast refusal. Never even tried it because of the little voice nagging just behind her ears. The one that whispered catastrophic scenarios of her taking it too far and being found wearing a chicken suit in a sewer somewhere, covered in her own vomit. It’s not even that her family had a history of it, she just didn’t want to be the first, so she never even considered it.

Tonight was different.

Parties weren’t her thing either, but— considering the nebulous definition of that word— she was more open to it. Graduation looming made the choice even easier, despite the fact that Michaeilia Swift was generally a non factor in her life. Did she really live in this place? It seemed almost too nice, Mary thought, to drink in. To do much of anything in, really, like one of those modern art pieces?

What was she doing again?

Oh, right, alcohol.

That’s what she was trekking to the kitchen for. First drink. Any nervousness she was feeling was worn down by the dull pain in her ankle, and the rattling of her bones over the pounding music. She entered the kitchen with her hands over her ears and a slight limp, and there she found the host.

“Oh, Hello, Michaeilia.”
Salic

Post by Salic »

At the sound of her name—her full name—passing through the lips of another student, Mikki jolted violently. Her hand reflexively curled into a death grip, which was the only thing that stopped her phone from crashing down onto the tile floor. She sucked in and huffed out a stabilizing breath before turning to look at the person who addressed her. When she did, it took her a second to put a name to the face that was before her. Mary. It belonged to Mary. Last name? Mikki had no clue.

Probably the most interaction she'd ever had with Mary was passing her in the hallway sometimes, and as far as Mikki could tell, that was more than enough. She just had that air of stuffiness, of plainness. If Mary was a book, it would be a 300 page slog titled 'UnScandalous' that was rated as adequate by the St. Paul Penny Saver or something. She didn't seem like the kind of person who would go to a party out of fear of moral corruption, much less have a beer, but maybe the prospect of this being the last of Mikki's Aurora Bay parties behooved her to add a little color to her beige canvas.

Mikki hopped off the counter, a smidge of vigor coursing through her veins now that she had to perform host duties for the first time in while. She already looked disheveled enough, no need to add Sloth to her list of tonight's sins. Just before she opened the fridge door, she turned to address Mary.

"Okay, I don't know who the fuck gave you permission to call me Michaeilia, but don't. You're sure as shit not my ma. You can call me Mikki like everyone else in Aurora Bay does. Got it?"

At that, she turned away and opened the fridge. Half the stockpile of alcohol she'd acquired earlier this afternoon was already gone.

"Alright, most of what I've got in here is IPA. There's honey, citrus, and watermelon. If you're not feeling any of that..." Mikki trailed off, shuffling and rearranging some of the beer cans to find the non-IPAs she also got. After a few moments, she found what she was looking for buried behind a few six packs.

"I've got some Yuengling and Heineken. Both of 'em are lagers. Also some Stella pilsner." It was then that Mikki partially shut the door and locked eyes with Mary again.

"So whatcha want?"
[+] PRESENT
SECOND CHANCES V3
Mikki Swift - "With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bree Jones - "The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them." - Queen Victoria
Serena Waters - "You cannot make a revolution in white gloves." - Vladimir Lenin
[+] PAST
BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
B1: Yoshio Akamatsu - "Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” - Lyndon B. Johnson

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:
B7: Yoshitoki Kuninobu - "When the sword of rebellion is drawn, the sheath must be thrown away." - John Copley
Location: He took the fall for an enemy in Residential Area (H/I8) - Peace Village: Brother's Blood

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker
S027: Claudia Salgado - "The optimist may fail, but the pessimist already begins failing." - Juscelino Kubitschek

SOTF-U V1:
Relationship Thread
P003: Elizabeth Rodney - ”I demolish my bridges behind me... then there is no choice but to move forward.” - Fridtjof Nansen
Location: She met up with her beloveds in The Powerhouse - Burning Down the House
[+] FUTURE
SOTF-TV V4:
Christian Graf von Helder - “I’ll be a big noise with all the big boys!” - Peter Gabriel
Francisco Ordaz Santander - ”I am responsible only to God and history.” - Francisco Franco

INTERMISSIONS:
Sophia Mirowski - "Be strong in the belief that life is wonderful." - Valery Sablin
Lee Iker
Stanley Mirowski - "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster." - Friedrich Nietzsche

SOTF-SUPERS V2:
Kendra Kuchel - ”If we value so highly the dignity of life, how can we not also value the dignity of death? No death may be called futile.” - Yukio Mishima
Nichelle Damen - ”All our knowledge- past, present, and future- is nothing compared to what we will never know.” - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2:
Kazimierz Krzyzewski - ”At dawn it is not just the night that dies, it is man and his becoming, and the warm blood staining the pavement is a word that is just starting.” - Ricardo Mannerini
Raqel Poghosyan
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

Ok, she's testy about the name. Something to file away for later, if needed, which she suspected it might.

"Right. My bad." Mary said, and then it was back to the actual reason she was here; her soon to be crippling alcoholism. She shook her head. No use thinking like that, you're just doing this for the novelty of it. Is that the right word?

"Uh... the second to last one, Heineken." She said. "Please."

The name sounded good to her, not that she knew what a lager was.

One drink, she reminded herself.

One.
Salic

Post by Salic »

"Aight, bet," Mikki responded, turning back towards the fridge. She produced the promised can of Heineken from it, turning back around to plonk it on the counter before shutting the refrigerator door. Although Mikki didn't really feel like interacting with others too much right now, she was the host; what kind of host shut themselves away and didn't interact with guests? The thought was absurd. She did wish that she could be a little more involved, since it was her grand senior high finale, but it was necessary to keep a close eye on the booze so that she wasn't responsible for some idiot's death.

Now that the beer was on the table, Mikki slid over a small stack of papers and and a pen. It was the alcohol sign-in sheet(s), her trusty ledger that had been there since the beginning, a handy record that transcribed every time the alcohol passed hands from host to partygoer. After tonight, though, it would have no more use. She vaguely recalled that a word of advice for crooks was to not write their crimes down, and since someone under legal drinking age buying alcohol and giving it away to others in the same category wouldn't fly in a courtroom, Mikki had the foresight to prepare her paper shredder for later.

Shuffling over to the island and leaning upon it, Mikki gestured to Mary to take the provided pen.

"I haven't seen you up here tonight, so I'm pretty sure you haven't asked for a beer yet. If that's right, then just print your name—legibly—in a blank spot and put an X next to it. You've got a max of two beers, you hear me?"
[+] PRESENT
SECOND CHANCES V3
[+] PAST
BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

SOTF-U V1:
Relationship Thread
[+] FUTURE
SOTF-TV V4:

INTERMISSIONS:
Lee Iker

SOTF-SUPERS V2:

SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2:
Raqel Poghosyan
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

“Yes, I hear you.”

Mary hadn’t expected paperwork for this. It was probably the smart thing to do, given how some people in their class behaved sober, so she didn’t have a problem taking the pen and signing her name. What she did have a problem with was the tone.

Legibly, she said. Mary couldn’t really see a way that wasn’t some kind of dig at her purely according to tone. if she was being realistic— and she was— why would it be? The two barely spoke two words to each other. Micha… uh, Mikki, was probably just used to having people write like garbage or draw penises on it or something. It’s not a cause for response.

Legibly

When Mary was done writing down her name— Meredith McKay, because short form isn’t for documents— she placed the pen on top of the kitchen island and tilted the paper up so Mikki could see it. “Is this legible enough for you?” She said, and she immediately cringed inside from both embarrassment and preparation for a possible blow up.
Salic

Post by Salic »

"I—you—what?"

Mikki, for a solid moment, was taken aback. Was this bitch really talking to her like that, at her own fucking party? Which she graciously hosted? And generously provided food and booze to? And here was this upstart nobody talking shit over the stupidest little nothing issue!

"What the fuck is your problem?" Mikki snarled at her. "Are you seriously gonna fucking harp on that?"

Despite her mounting anger, she could already see a few eyes peering in her direction, so she lowered her voice. There was no need to make a scene over something so goddamn silly, especially not at the last party of Aurora Bay. Mikki wanted to make this memorable, but not like this. This was stupid!

Mikki squared up, standing up ramrod straight and looking Mary in the eyes. Her arms, freed from the large pockets in her hoodie, were angrily crossed over her chest. She was also somewhat miffed that Mary was taller than she was, but she was doing her best to keep that under wraps. Instead of trying to use the height factor, she instead decided to assert herself by closing the distance. Mikki shuffled the relatively short distance between them, stopping when she felt the tips of her toes collide with Mary's. She craned her head towards the taller girl's, further closing the gap.

"Look, if you don't wanna be here," Mikki stated with all the authority she could muster, "then you don't gotta be here."

The message was clear.
[+] PRESENT
SECOND CHANCES V3
[+] PAST
BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

SOTF-U V1:
Relationship Thread
[+] FUTURE
SOTF-TV V4:

INTERMISSIONS:
Lee Iker

SOTF-SUPERS V2:

SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2:
Raqel Poghosyan
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

Yeah, that did it.

Mary was kicking herself so hard mentally she could practically feel it. She knew it was stupid to get worked up over this. She knew that there was no reason for it to be an issue, at least, not normally. It was now, though. Because she couldn't help herself. Mary understood that the best option would be to apologize, if only to snip the possible argument in the bud.

On the other hand, the girl Mary was looking down at didn't inspire much sympathy in her. Tone again.

Mary, in lieu of an apology, grabbed up the can of Heineken and opened it. "I'm well aware." She said, right before taking a sip out of the can. A groan sounded from inside her throat while her face screwed up.

Jesus Christ It tastes like piss!

She left the little standoff at the kitchen island made a beeline to the sink, spitting into it until her mouth was empty. Then she kept spitting because the taste was lingering.
Salic

Post by Salic »

So that was it, then. All the stupid posturing, all the stupid verbal spats, all of it was pointless. Mary may as well have not even gone up to get the drink, considering she just wasted a perfectly good can of Heineken. Fucking dope.

Mikki let out a deeply annoyed huff, somewhat miffed that she had just wasted her goddamn time over this little feud. If Mary had just not been pissed about the most minute shit imaginable then this wouldn’t have happened. She could’ve signed her name, taken a swig of beer, and then spit it out in the sink; the argument, the scuffling, none of it was necessary. Mary was just a moron. She had half a mind to go to the foyer and huck a shoe at her, but she refrained. No need to escalate anything that far.

Shit, Mikki had felt some sort of vague melancholy at this being her last high school party, but maybe it was for the best. She was apparently spending her time hosting parties for lowest-common-denominator peons. She could only hope that things would only get better in California. Grass was always greener on the other side and whatnot.

Still feeling somewhat petty and vindictive, Mikki slid over to the sink where Mary was hawking all the saliva out of her mouth that she could. Mikki reached her arm out in front of Mary, deliberately stepping on her foot as she did so, and attempted to pluck the beer can out from her hand.

“I’ll be taking that from you, if you don’t mind,” she hissed.
[+] PRESENT
SECOND CHANCES V3
[+] PAST
BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

BATTLE ROYALE AU V2:

SOTF-SUPERS V1:
Relationship Thread
Appearance Tracker

SOTF-U V1:
Relationship Thread
[+] FUTURE
SOTF-TV V4:

INTERMISSIONS:
Lee Iker

SOTF-SUPERS V2:

SOTF-INTERNATIONAL V2:
Raqel Poghosyan
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

The whole thing was a bust. Mary could accept that. She was perfectly eager to just go home at this point, because she'd made an enemy of the host and was currently wasting a beer she didn't even really want. Heineken sucked. That was all she learned tonight, all she got. It didn't really matter. Last year of school and she makes a fool of herself. She'll never see Michalia Swift again soon, and she was sure they'd both be just fine with tha-

A pressure on her foot and the can of beer was out of her hand. Mary tried to step back. It was on instinct, something to help her get a read on the situation. Swift was standing on her foot. The one with the ankle brace on it, and when Mary tried to move back, the joint rotated just a little too fast and a quick shock of pain jolted up her leg.

"OW GODDAMNIT!"

She pulled her whole leg up from under Swifts foot and was hopping around like the worlds dumbest pogo stick in the short interval it took her to find the kitchen island so she could lean on it. She was hissing through her teeth while prodding at her ankle.

Return to “The Twin Cities”