Living In The Aftermath

CLOSED

The sawmill was the backbone of the island's infrastructure and as such, is very large; complete with a small series of bunkhouses for employees to live in as well as a small mess hall to provide food. Next to the main building are three logging trucks for delivering the wood, while they have no gas inside of them they still provide excellent cover. Inside the sawmill are many devices used to treat the wood and prepare it for shipping. The machines show some signs of use and there is still a thick layer of sawdust, but the blades aren't liable to move as the power has been shut off.
xylophonefairy†

Post by xylophonefairy† »

Acacia nodded at Roman, agreeing with him. While the two to their left might not look dangerous, she didn't really want to risk the fact that they might turn at any moment. From the sounds of it, the odd word she could catch over the wind, their conversation had taken a particularly philosophical turn (she heard something about life after death then stopped listening, it was something she was personally trying not to think about), and hopefully that would distract them enough that she and Roman could make their escape, or entrance, or whatever it was.

"Now's our moment," she muttered quietly to herself, not knowing if Roman could hear her or not.

She edged slowly forwards, then opened the door quickly, the sound of the handle turning echoing through the air and she winced, hoping that the crazies didn't decide to attack now, and darted inside where she would be safe. Holding her gun out and ready to fire (something she had successfully managed to avoid up until this point) she pointed it all around the room before determining it clear, and went up to the phone, still keeping her gun clicked in case they should decide to ambush or something. The desk was under the window, and she went up to it, picking up the reciever of the phone and putting it to her ear.

"No dial tone," she said simply, putting it back on the handset. Though she hadn't expected anything less, a fair part of her was disappointed, there was always that little glimmer of now dashed hope. That there was a phone line working and she could dial out and call her Mom... Realising with a jolt that she hadn't even thought about her parents for days, she made a decision and sat down in the chair behind the desk, picking up the phone again and putting it back against her ear.

"Hi Mom," she said in a small voice. "It's me. Sorry I haven't been in contact much, it's been a bit crazy round here. People are-" her voice cracked slightly. "People are dying, and I'm trying not to be one of them. Anyway, just to let you know I'm okay and I haven't killed anyone yet. Give my love to Dad and David, and I'll see you someday."

Putting the phone back she stared at it forlornly, a little confused at her own lack of crying. Usually she wept at puppies and kittens, was she really that hardened already? Looking up, Acacia clenched her gun tighter, calling to Roman.

"Well? Shall we go explore then?"

There were faint voices coming from the direction of the bunkhouses.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler xylophonefairy. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Moth†

Post by Moth† »

Celeste shrugged, looking at the ground with a little smile. It lacked any sort of joy. "Hey...'s'cool. ...Kinda okay being poetic about it, makes me almost look forward to dying," she laughed dryly. "It's like...like the poems we used to read in Lit, right? We'll be killed and someone will write a beautiful, epic poem about us. It'd be cool...like we're beautiful maiden martyrs or...some shit like that." She shrugged again, finding no other words to put it.

Looking back at Kayla, Celeste held one hand out for a handshake. "Hey, if you die first, I'll write an awesome poem 'bout you, okay?"

Suddenly a noise caught her attention and she turned her head, looking down the wall towards the door. She hadn't seen anything--apparently whatever had happened was too quick for her to notice. Still..."You hear something?" she asked, rising to her feet--very reluctantly, as she hadn't fully rested and her feet were still sore, as were her shoulders. She bent down, retrieving the hammer and dragging it on the ground behind her as she approached the door.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Moth. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

((Oh shit inactivity timer, short post to stay active))

Sunil heard a few more sounds, and glanced around in mild interest, curious at their source. They sounded, worryingly, like voices; anything more than that, including whether they were friendly or unwelcome, he could not work out. However, he wasn't the one with the shotgun, oh no, he had been blessed with some cans of shitty food that he couldn't even open, so acting like a hero and going to check the noises without good reason just wouldn't be pragmatic.

Still waiting for a response to (in his opinion) his quite badass miniature rant, he stared at the ceiling in exasperation and frustration.
Whirlpool531†

Post by Whirlpool531† »

(Avoiding inactivity as well, trying to move things along for Day 4)

Sunil's little rant managed to do one thing, it was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to Jojo's temper staying in check. Jojo got up from under the bed and looked towards Sunil.

"PUSSIES!? YOU'RE GOING TO CALL US PUSSIES IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS!?" he yelled, "Of course we're going to be cautious! We're on an island where everyone from our class is either killing or being killed with few others staying out of it like us! Fine, I'll admit it, your cans won't do shit in a real battle but you can't be a cynic in these situations! If I was then I'd be giving up on everyone outside this room and just hiding here unless it became a dangerzone!"

As he finished the last sentence, its impact actually hit him as Jay flashed back into his head. Giving up on him would mean giving up one of the last things that kept Jojo going. He realized that he just blew their cover if someone was out there but Jojo didn't care anymore. He was ready to face whoever it was and continue his search for Jay, fight them if needed, kill them if needed. He was going to find his friend and escape.

As he gathered his things, he said in a calmer tone, "Fine Sunil I'll stop being a pussy, I'll go out there and make my weapons. After that, I'm gone. I'm going to find Jay and make sure he makes it out of this. I appreciate you and John watching over me as I recovered but I don't need to be insulted when you're not going to put a foot foward yourself. If anyone's outside, we'll deal with them together then go our seperate ways if there are no objections."

He finished getting his bags together and with a pencil in one hand behind his back, he quickly opened the door and sighed as he saw no one. Then his muscles tensed up as he heard footsteps coming from one side. No time to panic, time for decisiveness and creativity. He backed away from the open doorway to give John a clear view and made his proclamation.

"Whoever you are, I hear you so don't take another step further! Identify yourself or retreat in silence! If you do neither then we have several traps and guns ready to utterly decimate you if you move foward."

His heart was soaring in both glee and fear at what he had done. Either way this goes, he was able to be totally badass for a brief moment in his life.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Whirlpool531. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

((this post is made of epic fail, mostly because I cannot figure out where everyone is. Oh well.))

Roman carefully followed Acacia inside, his sun baton tightly gripped in his hand. He stayed near the door, covering their backs while the cheerleader scanned the rest of the room. As the girl picked up a telephone on the desk, his heart lept into his throat. And for the first time on this entire trip, it was out of hope rather than fear.

However, that hope was quickly dashed when Acacia reported there was no dial tone. No dial tone meant no working line. Which meant no outside means of communication. 'It would have been nicer to have been completely without hope than even have had it for that little second. Would have hurt less when it died, too,' Roman moped silently.

He cocked his head to one side in curiosity when Acacia sat down and picked up the phone again. 'I thought there wasn't a dial tone.' As soon as he heard Acacia greet her mother, he realized what she was doing. Simply being in the room with her made him feel like an intruder. No one should have to share important stuff like this with classmates. Having to say goodbye was hard enough without an audience breathing over your shoulder.

Roman tried to scoot closer to the door as unobtrusively as he could, attempting to give Acacia as much space as she needed. He thought about the message he would give his parents when the opportunity came. Which immediately begged the question, would they ever hear it? Even if he did leave a message for them, would they get it? Or would it be too hard to listen to their son say goodbye? If he left them a message, was that too much like giving up? Would they think he hadn't tried hard enough?

"Well? Shall we go explore then?"

"Wuh...uh, yeah. Let's, um, let's get going," he said, floundering a bit. Absently pushing his glasses farther up his nose, Roman wheeled about and stepped back outside the door. And into the path of a very large, very wooly moth. The poor insect's wing stuck to Roman's sweat-dampened face, flapping ineffectually as it tried to escape. Without a thought as to who might hear him, Roman began to yell and scream as the...thing on his face flopped and moved.

"GEDDITOFFGEDDITOFFGEDDITOFF!"

He leapt around, as if he could shake it loose. In a panic, he raised his sun baton and swung it near his face, screeching all the while. The wings of the moth began to beat against the edge of his glasses. He could hear another male yelling something, but since no one was helping him get this monstrosity off his face, it didn't matter.
Acelister†

Post by Acelister† »

John listened to the other two posit their arguments, with a slight air of annoyance. They were all going to die - that wasn't in question - the only thing was - when would it happen? He was of the hope that it would be later rather than sooner.

As Jojo opened the door, he looked over and pumped his shotgun to load the round into the chamber - or whatever it did.

Before Jojo finished speaking, John was certain he heard another voice. Then he was more than certain. He leapt at the door, thoughts racing through his head, and took aim at the screaming - even though it wasn't exactly close. He felt like he was freaking out as he fired the shotgun. The force of the shot almost tore the shotgun from his grip as it threw him backwards, his thoughts stilled for the moment.

He hit the floor with a loud call of pain, his arms and hands aching as well as - now - his butt. He didn't even know if the ammo had reached anywhere near its intended target, though the thud of its impact around Roman and Acacia's position was loud enough to anyone not next to the shotgun barrel.

John's heart raced, the thudding in his ears loud. He just fired a gun. A big gun. He probably killed someone. He shot a gun for the first time ever - and probably killed someone he knew. Someone he went to school with for years. Why did he fire? What if they were friendly?

What if they weren't?! And had a bazooka?! Or grenades!

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck..." he muttered again and again, starting to rock in his place on the floor.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Acelister. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

((breaking post order because I thought it would just be easier to have Roman's take on getting shot.))

Roman wasn't exactly sure what had just happened. A microsecond ago, he was trying to peel a hairy monster off of his face. Now, he was lying face first on the ground, his left side on fire and in agony. The booming echo of thunder ricochetted off the buildings. He squinted as he tried to focus on the sky, but he seemed to be missing his glasses.

Had he knocked them off while battling the bug? The world was incredibly bleary and completely out of whack. His ears continued to ring as the thunder slowly died away.

Thunder.

That must be it.

He had been hit by lightning, knocking him clean off his feet. A freak accident. The dog turd cherry on the top of this shit sundae of a senior trip. He tried to giggle at the ridiculous image but the tiny involuntary action sent white hot stabbing pains all through his left shoulder and torso. The pain was so intense it actually took his breath away. The edges of his vision turned grey, then black and began to narrow. Shining little pinpricks of light danced down the darkening tunnel. Without meaning to, he focused on the flickering balls until everything went completely black.

After an exceedingly long blink, Roman came back to himself. Which was not an action he would have chosen for himself as he tried to breath in shallow little gasps. Fine tremors ran through his limbs and he felt very cold.

Oh god. What was happening to him?
armeggedonCounselor†

Post by armeggedonCounselor† »

BOOM.

A gunshot. Kayla jumped and nearly screamed, but bit her tongue. With alacrity, she grabbed her dropped stuff and turned to Celeste.

"W-we should get out of here. Someone is shooting."

'No shit, Sherlock. Thank you, Captain Obvious.'

((Moth, I give you permission to GM Kayla leaving with Celeste. Unless you don't remove them for whatever reason.))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler armeggedonCounselor. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Moth†

Post by Moth† »

It felt like an explosion...not a real one, but there was just so much noise all of a sudden--someone shouting, screaming for something to get off of them, and then...

...the gunshot. Which really did sound like an explosion, funnily enough.

Celeste screamed, unable to help herself, and fell to the ground on her rear end, hammer falling with a heavy thud beside her. "Oh, Jesus fuck!"For a few seconds, she held stock-still, expecting...she didn't know what. Bright lights? Fires of Hell? Utter blackness? The scenery didn't change, but there was a slight ringing in her ears, and she felt her heart pounding so hard it felt like it wanted to escape. Her fingers dug into the ground. She was still alive...the shot didn't hit her, but...

Someone else.

Not wanting to stick around to see who it was shooting, to see if anyone was hurt, and there was no way in Hell she was waiting around to see if the shooter had any more bullets. Scrambling backwards before turning around and running, Celeste ran closer to Kayla, who'd already grabbed her stuff.

"We should get out of here. Someone is shooting."

"How the fuck can you sound so calm?!" Celeste snapped as she grabbed her duffel, sounding more panicked than angry, truly afraid for the first time since she'd arrived on the island. Grabbing Kayla's hand, the one that wasn't holding the weapon or the strap of her bag, Celeste ran for it--

--leaving the sledgehammer behind in her panic. Celeste didn't think about it, too eager to get out of there.

((Celeste Beaumont and Kayla Portman continued in The Gods Hate Us.))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Moth. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
xylophonefairy†

Post by xylophonefairy† »

Acacia swore, loudly, as suddenly a shot rang around them. She'd never been so close to a gunshot before, and it was ringing in her ears.

"Fuck, FUCK!" she screamed, diving to the ground and squeezing her eyes shut, if she was going to die she didn't want to know about it. Where the hell had they come from? One minute they were alone and Roman was having some kind of spaz attack against a moth (which she'd personally found faintly amusing until it became apparent that his shouting meant that someone knew they were there), the next she was sprawled on the floor based on some kind of instinct as bullets started bouncing off the walls. Or rather, bullet. But one bullet was one too many in her books.

When they stopped her ears were ringing, and her hearing was muted. Everything sounded like it was far away. For a few moments she briefly debated whether she was still alive or not, and coming to the conclusion that she was, decided to check that Roman was too. Which, she realised with hazy vision, that he wasn't. Her heart thudded against her ribs, and there was that dropping feeling in her stomach as she realised what she was looking at. Blood.

Even though she wasn't personally injured (even her eardrums were beginning to heal and normal sound volume was returning) and crawled towards Roman, dragging her limbs behind her as though it was her that had been shot and not him. Coming across his glasses on the way, she picked them up, but figured that he probably didn't need them right now and kept hold of them. She'd always had good eyesight and failed to fathom the disconcertion that came with not being able to see, not realising that it would probably be more helpful to give them to him. She looked panickedly at him, noting the wound in his left shoulder and trying in vain to remember what you were supposed to do in that situation. For the first time in her life she wished she'd gone to girl scouts, or something, done something more practical with her teenage years than playing tennis, cheerleading and sleeping around. She sniffed.

"I think you have to put pressure on it," she said, not sure if he could hear her. Her hands shook as she went to do it herself.

Then she noticed John. Rocking back and forth. Cradling his gun. Acacia turned to him, still sitting on the floor.

"What the FUCK was that!?" she screamed at him. "Do we just go around shooting each other randomly now just because some piece of shit in an office somewhere tells us to? For fuck sake," What's his name? He was in the first class you were in at the start of high school. What was his name? "...John." That was it. She broke off with something that resembled a sob and turned back to Roman, who was the only real friend she'd had over the last couple of days.

"Hey," she said, in as a soothing yet commanding voice as she could figure out. "Can you hear me?" He was breathing strangely, shallow, but at least he was breathing, that was something. She turned to John again.

"Don't just sit there, come and help me," she said, frantic enough to accept help from the shooter. Waving her hands helplessly over Roman, shaking her head. "I don't know what to do!"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler xylophonefairy. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

And then Jojo had to be a little prick.

Frankly, Sunil was the sort of guy who would normally volunteer to do the work and do things like going outside first, but he was also pragmatic, and in this type of situation, he had to be selfish. He wouldn't be the first to go outside when he had no reason to go outside. John had a shotgun, he had the worst excuse out of any of them for not going outside. Sunil had some cans as a "weapon", and just because he recognised they were pretty much fucking useless, that made him a bitter cynic who wanted to hide inside like a coward.

There were just so many things wrong with Jojo's statements, and, as Jojo began packing his bags and whining like a little bitch about how he'd go outside and find Jay on his own the big damn fucking hero he obviously was, Sunil was mentally preparing a massive counter-rant, trying to decide on which point to start it off on. Sunil didn't have the sharpest wit and really hadn't had much practice on preparing massive rants, but he was still trying.

What happened next happened too quickly for Sunil to process.

All he knew was, at the end, John had shot someone and everyone was screaming. Justifiably.

"Fuck this shit!"

Scrapping the near-finished rant he had without a second thought, Sunil, keen to get out of this shithole and having no real reason to stay, launched himself off his bed, grabbing his bags as he went and ran towards a window. Thankfully, it was able to be opened with a quick shove, and Sunil clumsily proceeded to slip out, landing on the ground face-first.

He ran off into the horizon.

((Sunil Savarkar continued in Selfish.))
Whirlpool531†

Post by Whirlpool531† »

Jojo never imagined such a simple plan could go bad so quickly. The screaming, the shot, more screaming followed by Sunil saying something behind him. Jojo turned quickly to barely see the boy's feet go out a window, following the rest of his body. Jojo was scared again, but he knew it was time to act still. He quickly ran to his bag, tearing through it to find some of his extra shirts.

With them in hand, he ran past John and towards the yells.

"Its ok, I'm coming to help! This was an accident!" Jojo yelled. It was all he could he think of to make sure he didn't get killed trying to help these people.

As he got closer he recognized Acacia from her cheerleading but Roman didn't ring any bells. All Jojo knew was he had to help somehow. What little he knew about first aid hardly seemed helpful in this situation. He just took the shirts and pressed it on Roman's shoulder.

Looking towards Acacia he said, "I'm sorry, it wasn't supposed to be like this. Just keep talking to him and keep him awake. If you have any clothes left he needs to be kept warm." As he looked down, he couldn't tell what Roman was thinking, "Hey, stay with us! Stay awake! Do you feel pain anywhere else aside from the front of your shoulder?" Jojo couldn't think of anything else to say, he kept the pressure on, shirts by his side if the bleeding got worse.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Whirlpool531. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

Roman tried to focus on what Acacia was saying, but it was hard. His entire world was currently limited to the jagged, searing jolts of agony that he felt. For a second, he was almost positive that the lightning had shattered into little bits of lightning ants which had burrowed under his skin and begun to tunnel through him.

She had his full attention, though, when she started screaming f-bombs at someone."What the FUCK was that!? Do we just go around shooting each other randomly now just because some piece of shit in an office somewhere tells us to? For fuck sake...John."

Shooting?

Someone was shooting?

If people were shooting at them, they had to get out of here, injured or not. He tried to lift his head from the ground without moving around too much but that just set off a fresh round of lightning ants. Squinting, Roman tried to will the fuzzy blobs and blurs of the dark into more orderly shapes and objects.

Wait. She had said shooting each other. "Shooting?" Roman croaked out as Acacia spoke to him in low tones. Did she think someone had shot him? She had to be mistaken. He wasn't shot. He'd gotten hit by lightning, which is why he was burning so badly. The electricity has obviously travelled down his left side, cooking the muscles and fat under the skin.

She started yelling at someone else to hurry, although he wasn't sure why. Maybe to help get them away from whoever was shooting. 'Must be John,' he blearily thought as another body dropped along side him. The guy, John, was saying something really fast. Roman couldn't keep up. Before he got a chance to ask the guy to repeat it, a heavy weight fell across his burn, pushing down hard.

OH GOD.

It.

Hurt.

All the other sounds disappeared in a roar that sounded like waves crashing on the shore.

It hurt it hurt it hurt it hurt.

The pushing hurt so very badly that it was almost as if his brain short circuited trying to process what whas going on. Roman's world, which has been small, got infinitely narrower as every fiber of his being focused on the weight on his back and side. It hurt so very badly that his brain could only process one thought.

Stop.

It needed to stop. The hurting had to stop.

Stop. Now.

Without thinking, Roman planted his hands and tried to lever himself up off the ground, screaming at the top of his lungs as his left side burned.
Acelister†

Post by Acelister† »

((Sorry I'm late posting, I've been sick for the past few days...))

John fired the gun...

"How the fuck can you sound so calm?!"

He caused red-hot bullets to fly through the air.

"Fuck this shit!"

And those bullets probably just...

"What the FUCK was that!? Do we just go around shooting each other randomly now just because some piece of shit in an office somewhere tells us to? For fuck sake ...John. Don't just sit there, come and help me,"

... Killed someone...

"Its ok, I'm coming to help! This was an accident!"

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" John whimpered, looking at the gun still in his hands thanks to the shock of it throwing him backwards - his hands just gripped it tighter. He was shaking in shock, pain, terror... He shot someone. He didn't mean to... Did he? Did he do it on purpose? He was reacting to... To the screaming...

Someone called out his name! He heard a girl say his name! Through the buzz of the shotgun discharge... Someone knew he had fired the most-likely deadly shot. And that creep Danya was going to read his name off on one of those perverted little announcements of his... This couldn't have been more horrible...

He scrambled to his feet, his arms and chest starting to ache from how he had been hit by the recoil. He looked around hurriedly for his bag. 'B089' he saw and grabbed it, running out of the door that Jojo had just exited. He then took a sharp turn and ran away. Away from where he could be accused of killing anyone. Away from the blood and death - perhaps Danya would christen him the 'accidental killer', thereby letting people know he wasn't playing!

He wasn't playing!

[[John Smith continued Fabuleuxelsewhere]]
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Acelister. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

((Simon Telamon coninued from Fucking Compasses ...))

Simon had spent the last few hours walking around. Needless to say, the stressful nature of the situation had caused the small respite of seeing Milo Taylor getting shot in the crotch to quickly wear off: he had found nobody that would join him, got attacked twice within a three minute time span (once by someone he would have considered a friend), and he had no clue where he was in the world (he didn't realize it, but that was possibly a good thing - if he had been able to figure out his location, his collar might have been blown). His only weapon was a key (that may very well unlock nothing), and his own fists (which did great against anything that could be used at range).

He was heading towards another building: The Sawmill, according to the map. Maybe I can actually stay safe for more than two and a half seconds.

"Don't just sit there, come and help me. I don't know what to do!"
Simon's head immediately turned to the faint female voice inside the building. That voice seemed familiar.

"It's okay, I'm coming to help! This was an accident! I'm sorry, it wasn't supposed to be like this. Just keep talking to him and keep him awake. If you have any clothes left he needs to be kept warm." Oh, great, something was wrong again (Of course, this was SOTF - being on the island meant that something was always wrong by default).

Screw it. I've already been in enough trouble. At least this trouble won't be trouble that I caused. Simon sighed, and jogged around the building. The sight right outside the door was familiar, comforting, and scary all at the same time: Aside from the new guy in jeans, there was Roman and Acacia, except that Roman was lying on the ground, without his glasses, left shoulder stained red. Acacia and New Guy were standing over him, desperately trying to ... what? Save Roman? Keep him conscious? All Simon could think of was:

"What the hell happened here?"
Survivor: UCONN - Seriously, it's awesome!

Version 8
Kaede Tsurumi: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!"
Morgan Whitney
Tyler Slomkowski
Victor Grail: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all."
[+] Version 7
Male Student #65: Manuel Figueroa; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Female Student #70: Jessica Rennes; Status: ACTIVE (Adopted by Brackie)
Female Student #79: Stephanie McDonald; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Return to “The Sawmill”