And Now, Our Feature Presentation

Chattanooga plays host to numerous festivals throughout the year, from Pride marches to film festivals to sporting events; this is the place for those and other specific events, public or personal. Other threads that take place within the city limits but not in any other specified location also belong here. Please use this board only for threads that really don't fit anywhere else, however; threads that take place in one of the delineated areas, even if they represent events, should be placed in the area board for better organization. Threads that take place outside the city of Chattanooga should also be placed in the appropriate board.
Ryuki

And Now, Our Feature Presentation

Post by Ryuki »

(Ned Jackson continued from Venipuncture)

Ned was mingling by the arcade machines with his brother Kurt. His parents were buying the tickets and popcorn. Kurt was playing Dance Dance Revolution while Ned watched. Kurt's feet moved as quick as rabbits as he stepped in rhythm to the song.

"You know," Kurt said as he focused on the screen, "Dad would have brought you to the movies with us anyway, right?"

He was referring to Ned's blood donation, and how their mother convinced Ned to do it. Admittedly, Ned raised an eyebrow at how she essentially swindled him into donating. Sometimes, his mom didn't make sense to him.

"Yeah, well," Ned responded, "on the plus side, someday my blood will be used in a life saving transfusion."

Ned noticed a crowd of people lined up at the ticket stand. Their parents were near towards where it started. He figured they would be in for a long wait.
[+] V7
Mains
Image B018: Ned Jackson- That’s All Folks
Image G039: Yuki Hayashibara- Family is Forever
Image B034: Zachary Beck- Guess I’ll Die
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

((Cecil Salazar-Loveless continued from fitzcarraldo))

It was truly one of those rare occasions when the three actual adults in the family have actually got themselves some free time. Cecil having taken care of all his homework and obligations in school had finally overlapped with Clover Loveless’s week-long vacation every four months, and after realizing this opportunity, Kalista Salazar herself decided that it would be a good time to use her allotted vacation days. Of course, these all leads to one thing: time for some family bonding.

Cecil should’ve been more quicker at making up his mind and switched up the gold accessories he’s currently wearing with simpler black ones to go with the fitted maroon button up shirt, and now he thinks it ended up looking gaudy. Can’t do anything about that now, though, he thought with mild disappointment. We’re here now.

It’s not like they can all go to a long trip out of state, no matter how much Angel and Drew would rejoice and that Mom and Ma would have no problem with pulling all of them out of school for a few days. It was just that...something about having his perfect attendance disrupted to being not-so-perfect at all made him feel just wrong all over. A feeling of loss? Regret? He just knew that he can go through of all his school years without missing a single day, and so if he does miss one when he could’ve easily not, then it would just, again, feel wrong.

Nonetheless, Cecil’s sure his family probably preferred something else other than just going to the movies together. Despite seeing his parents line up for the tickets no problem and his siblings immediately dragging him to the arcade machines, the guilt was still there. He didn’t really say anything, and they didn’t either, but still...

But that doesn’t matter now, does it?

Right.

And so that’s why Cecil had let himself to go and compete with Angel in a first-person shooting game, all the while he had to make sure he’s still keeping an eye on Drew who may run off.

And as he had already established within himself that he’s terrible at multitasking, he had no choice but to lose to his younger brother, although Cecil had never won against him in any video game.

He puts the arcade gun back to the holster before realizing that his seven-year old sister’s already so uninterested that she’d already decided to check other games. Cecil notified his brother before immediately following her, his head turning back every ten seconds to check in Angel’s direction, who went single-player and showed no signs of stopping, still engrossed on the game.

After a brief glance that told him that Angel is way too skilled at shooting down digital moving targets, Cecil had realized that Drew led them to a Dance Dance Revolution arcade machine.

Cecil noted that there was already someone playing, but looking down at Drew with her hands behind her back and her eyes staring unblinkingly, she seems to be contented with watching for now.

There were two guys near them: there was the one playing, and one that wasn’t. He only briefly glanced at them, but when his eyes landed on the one his sister’s not really watching, it might’ve lingered longer than it should, but only because of that odd sense of familiarity rushing in him.

Now usually, Cecil wouldn’t be the one to recognize someone from school. He doesn’t really bother much about it until just recently, and even then, he doesn’t really care all that much about the majority of his classmates.

But he’s definitely passed by him at some point. Cecil doesn’t think there are negative feelings involved though.

That’s progress, he supposed. And yet...

Still have no idea. Well, I’d barely put a name to a face if I ever saw them outside, and it’s not like I’m friendly with everyone to easily approach them, bar a few exceptions, like Charelle from—

Wait, clubs.

Oh yeah, that’s right.

He returns to staring at him quizzically, searching in the recesses of his mind on how exactly is he connected to this person that he’d spare him more than a glance. Specifically, which club.

It took him a while, but he figured some things out.

He’s almost sure about Anime club. Not sure about him being that voice actor kid. And he still does not have a name.

Nonetheless, he fixed a polite smile to his face when their eyes met, nodding lightly and a small simple “Hi.”

Would he recognize him, Cecil wonders.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

Ned turned his head and noticed a few more people had approached the arcade machines. The younger boy started playing the Big Buck Hunter game that apparently every arcade place had. The older male and young girl were watching Kurt dance. The older male Ned recognized from school. Cecil, if he remembered correctly. A model student, from what he had heard. Ned had recognized him from anime club. Ned hadn't talked to him much, not that he didn't like him. Cecil gave a small greeting, which Ned politely requited.

"Hello," Ned said, "Cecil, right?"

While Ned knew Cecil from anime club, so maybe he could use that as a basis for conversation. They were also at the movies, so perhaps they could discuss which movies they were seeing. As he pondered how to go about a friendly conversation, he approached Cecil slightly, trying to simultaneously keep an eye on Kurt.

"So," Ned continued, "how are you today? Seeing anything good?"
[+] V7
Mains
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

Cecil nodded in affirmation at his name with what he supposes is a bright demeanor, all the while half-heartedly trying to figure out the intriguing mystery that is the name of his unfamiliar fellow club member.

Small talk. Good, that’s good. I can do that. That’s a good thing.

The bad thing is that I still don’t know his name. Well, it’s not really bad, but that would be rude now that I really am in a conversation with him. Hm.

“I’m doing good,” he replied, then slightly gestures to the directions of his siblings. “Here with my family.”

He only very quickly paused, briefly thinking on what his next words are going to be.

“Not a lot of opportunities to spend time all together, you know,” his smile was just a bit more genuine saying that. “And we’ve got a seven-year old, who picked Peter Rabbit, so yeah.” He shrugged.

Ah, still no name.

“You?”
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Oh, that's nice," Ned responded, "My family and I were going to see Black Panther. Personally, I don't think the Peter Rabbit film looks that good, but I'm sure it'll keep kids entertained."

The Peter Rabbit movie looked like one those films trying to bank on nostalgia and use whatever relevant or dated pop culture references the producers think the target audience would enjoy. That's the problem Ned had with a lot of movies that are based on cartoons like the Alvin and the Chipmunks films, the Yogi Bear movie, and the Garfield films. That, and the butt ugly CGI animation.

"The guy on the DDR machine is my brother, Kurt," Ned said, "My parents are in line for the tickets. Today's pretty busy, huh?"

As Ned finished introducing his brother to Cecil, Kurt finished his song. He had gotten an A-ranked score, high enough to put his initials on the scoreboard.

"Hey, Ned," said Kurt as he stepped off the machine, "Wanna take a turn?"

"Nah," responded Ned. He turned his head to Cecil and his little sister. "How about you?"
[+] V7
Mains
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

At Ned mentioning his opinion about the Peter Rabbit movie not looking that great, Cecil raised his eyebrows and immediately whipped his head to the side to check if Drew heard that.

“Hey now, don’t let her hear you say that,” he tried to say lightheartedly, but he still kept his eyes on the still little girl.

It’s not like he actually disagrees with that statement. He wouldn’t exactly be interested in watching it either, but a kid’s movie is a kid’s movie. Cecil might’ve considered having her join him into watching a Ghibli movie some time, but he didn’t really have much time to do it.

He reverted his gaze back to his classmate when he introduced his brother’s name, small talk still ongoing. “Mmhmm,” he hummed with a noncommittal nod, briefly sending a polite smile at the older brother.

Drew also stopped watching unblinkingly at the game, turning her attention to the three big boys around her. Having heard both of the two unfamiliar guys’ names, she took the chance to introduce her own.

“I’m Drew, I’m seven.”

Cecil, on the other hand, thought it was a bit funny that he’d know his classmate’s brother’s name first before his.

Okay, so it’s Ned.

“And this is my sister,” he grinned, and gestures with his head into the direction of Angel, who’s looking curiously at where his siblings ended up but shrugged it off. “And that’s my brother Angel.”

Right after saying it, Cecil wonders for a surprised reaction from them due to their rather obvious physical differences. Then he would have to lightly explain about adoption while resisting the urge to say something that will send the other guys to the opposite direction.

Maybe not with Drew, but with Angel—

He held both of his hands up and shook his head quickly, letting out a small laugh at the offer to play. It’s more friendly than a flat “no”, and really, Ned’s been pretty friendly so far.

“I’m good, thanks,” he says. I could probably do it, though. It’s just a rhythm game, right? And also eye-foot coordination...

“Can I try?” Drew piped up with a raised hand.

Cecil didn’t hesitate to look expectantly at Ned and Kurt.

“So, this has a Beginner mode, right?” He’s pretty sure Drew has never played DDR, and neither has he.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Nice to meet you," said Ned, smiling at the little girl.

The young girl, whose name was Drew, asked if she could take a turn on the DDR game. Cecil wanted to know if there was a beginner's mode.

"I think there's an easy mode, yeah," said Ned, "right Kurt?"

"Yeah," Kurt responded,"The arrows move pretty slow, so it should be easy."

As the girl climbed up onto the platform, Ned checked to see if the line for the tickets had moved. It seemed their parents were about halfway there. Ned turned to Kurt and Cecil, who was helping Drew with the game setup.

"So Cecil," Ned began, "have you seen any good anime lately?"
[+] V7
Mains
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

Cecil briefly assisted Drew with the game before the obvious expert Kurt took over. There was that protectiveness that surfaced when he processed the fact that Drew is still being handled by a total stranger in front of him, but nonetheless, he was still present with them and the stranger is the brother of his classmate (whom is only a little less than a stranger to Cecil), so there shouldn’t be anything to worry about at the moment.

Keeping a watchful eye, he perked up when Ned asked him about their probably only shared interest.

But that’s why he joined the club in the first place, isn’t that right? Discuss about what he enjoys?

Feeling quite satisfied at that thought, he then mulled over his answer and looked up, humming thoughtfully.

“I’m actually enjoying Violet Evergarden at the moment.” Beautiful animation. Always liked stories that are more focused on character development. I didn’t mind the way they’re doing the storytelling, too. And the opening song’s pretty damn good.

He thought for another moment.

“I’m on the fence about watching Darling in the Franxx,” he added, looking at Ned curiously. Lots of split opinion with that one, I’ve heard. “What do you think?”
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Darling in the Franxx?," Ned repiled, "Yeah, that one is kinda weird, but it is from the same studio as Kill la Kill, so it makes sense. I'd recommend giving a couple of episodes a watch before continuing or dropping it."

Ned wasn't exactly an expert, but he did his best to give advice. He hadn't seen Violet Evergarden, but Darling in the Franxx was an fun show to watch. He gathered his thoughts on what anime he recently watched.

"I've been checking out Yona of the Dawn,"Ned said, "The animation is really good. Plus the character progression for the main character is well done."

Yona of the Dawn was a good example of a reverse harem in Ned's eyes. The main character's story and development were engaging and it's a shame there hasn't been a second season.

"Other than that, I'm watching Pop Team Epic and the third season of Attack on Titan."

Ned checked back at the line. His parents were approximately five eighths of the way to the ticket stand.
[+] V7
Mains
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

"Huh," Cecil raised his eyebrows and nodded in consideration at Ned's suggestion. "I'll do that then."

It's not like he gets easily tuned away from a really bizarre premise. He'd like to think of himself as pretty open-minded on things like that. Darling in the Franxx does have some pretty alienating concepts in general though, from what he has read anyway. Should be interesting to start watching it then.

Cecil perked up at the mention of Yona of the Dawn, his face brightening up noticeably and enthusiastically nodding along with what Ned was saying about it.

"I thought the setting was pretty interesting! Threw me into a loop when I first watched it and realized that I've been hearing and seeing Korean names and culture in a Japanese anime." he said cheerily. "I've watched the OVAs, now I'm reading the manga."

He remembered researching about that right after, learning where it was based upon. It led to him onto the history of The Three Kingdoms of Korea, which also brought him to get back into Korean dramas that are also set in that time period. He somehow ended up learning just how uncommon a setting the Japanese invasions on Korea were in episodic dramas, but watches them anyway. Then back with reading more history. Lots of heavy stuff he found in all of there that he wished he could feel something more about, if he's being honest. Of course, what he should specifically feel about is the question.

Some sort of nationalistic pride or shit like that? Based on Kdramas and anime and only reading some stuff online? Really now? You don't even know what you are, and you probably never will, because it doesn't even matter. Like, what's the point? Just be fucking American, what a fucking joke--

Oh no. Bad thoughts, bad thoughts. It's like they're getting worse the more he immediately dismisses them recently.

It's not even fair. I'm into those stuff to enjoy them and not get those kinds of thoughts.

Although, I'll admit it's pretty counterproductive, but--

Okay, he should stop being in his own head for the time being. And he has been doing so well doing that the whole time until now.

Snapping himself out of a trance, he turned his eyes that were staring down at nothing in particular back up to Ned, who just said something about Pop Team Epic (now that's another weird one he's seen but only knew a few things about) and Attack on Titan (ah of course, duh) and has been left hanging for more than an appropriate amount of more than a moment.

"Right," he only said, a little bit dazed. Ah, conversation. "Tell me about Pop Team Epic?"
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Pop Team Epic is kind of...," Ned hesitated for a second, "It's a sketch comedy show full of surreal humor. It features two girls drawn in a chibi style and they're voice actors switch from male to female in each segment."

Ned took a pause to notice the girl on the DDR machine. He needed to watch his language for what he was about to say next. He hid his mouth and whispered slightly.

"According to what I've seen," Ned whispered, "Pop Team Epic is like the Robot Chicken of anime, in the best possible way."

Ned smiled slightly at that statement. Partially because of how funny he found Robot Chicken to be, and also because he wasn't sure if Cecil watched Robot Chicken.

Ned looked towards Kurt, on his phone, and ten towards his parent in line. They were now about three-fourths of the way to the stand.

"So," Ned continued, "have you watched My Hero Academia?"
[+] V7
Mains
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

Cecil smiled through Ned's explanations, trying to listen attentively to focus on something else other than the shit that keeps intruding his mind. He tries to quietly exhale out all the thoughts to the wind, loosening down his tensed up shoulders, look outward instead of inward, stop thinking too mu—

"Okay," he lightly chuckled. "Sounds like something I need to see for myself."

Suddenly, Ned started to share something like it was some secret or juicy gossip, but it only resulted in a dumbfounded Cecil who doesn't really get the significance of what his schoolmate just said. He blinked in confusion with raised eyebrows, glancing away to wonder what is he talking about now?

"I'm sorry?" he tilted his head while wearing a sheepish smile. "Robot...Chicken?" he repeated.

Cecil noticed his younger brother getting bored from the game and looks like to be planning to come over to where they are. He was about to call Angel out when Ned asked him a question.

He grinned. "Of course I did. Contemplating on reading the manga too, to be honest."
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Cool," Ned said, "I haven't read the manga myself, but that does sound like a neat idea. Actually, I've watched the Akame ga Kill anime and read the manga, and honestly, I prefer the manga over the anime. I was pretty disappointed how the anime turned, so I read the manga to see if it was any better."

Ned doesn't commonly read the manga version of his favorite anime, but there were a few exceptions. The aforementioned Akame ga Kill, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, and volumes of Dragon Ball his brother owned were among these exceptions.

Ned noticed the young boy was making his way over to where he and the others were standing. Was he with Cecil? He was walking next to him when they came over to the arcade games, right? He took another glance at his parents in line. They were about seven-eighths close to the ticket stand. He took another glance back at Kurt and Drew. Kurt was still on his phone, while Drew was tapping her feet on the dance pad to a song. The arrows were slowly moving up the screen, so she must be on a pretty easy difficulty. Just a little more time to spare.

"Hey, important question, not really," Ned started to ask, "have you ever heard of Junji Ito? He's a horror manga writer. They have this series that animated several of his short stories and I was wondering if it was any good."
[+] V7
Mains
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

Cecil slightly raised his brows with an amused smile.

"I've seen some of his works," he grinned. "Pretty much considered classics. Uzumaki is the first horror manga I've read, and still one of the best." And it's still one of the very few I've actually read. "It's a popular opinion, but it's true." He coughed and spoke. "I knew he also makes short stories, too, but I haven't checked them out. But I think you should go for it."

Horror's fine when he wants to be fascinated and analyze the creative directions or how effective the artistic and narrative choices were in creeping him out, but he'd rather feel good along with the already ever-present guilt instead of feeling scared.

"Not usually into horror myself though," he admitted. He spies Angel, who's already beside the arcade machine, curiously looking at them before quickly turning his attention to a Drew asking for an opinion on which song to dance to next. "To watch it for fun, I mean."

Inwardly, he realized that didn't make sense at a certain point. He should watch how the words come out of his mouth more.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Oh yeah, Uzumaki," Ned replied, "I think I'd like to see an anime of that."

The boy was beside the dance machine, watching Drew. Kurt was still on his phone. He looked over again at his parents in line. They were right at the ticket stand. That was quick, Ned thought to himself.

"Looks like my parents are at the ticket stand," Ned said, "So, uh, we'll have to go soon."

Ned motioned to Kurt, who heard had noticed their parents after Ned pointed them out. Ned took out his phone and brought up his contacts.

"Hey, maybe we can continue our anime talk some other time," Ned suggested, "Care to exchange numbers?"
[+] V7
Mains

Return to “Events/Other”