Scarlet Darlings

Here is where any preparations, last second date-seeking, or other stuff of that sort can take place. This forum covers events directly related to Prom from two days before the dance until the start of the dance itself.
Ruggahissy

Scarlet Darlings

Post by Ruggahissy »

Mara leaned over her bathroom skin washing off the green/gray sludge. She rubbed a soft towel on her face the same color of her bathrobe and stared up at the mirror.

The girls would be there soon to all get ready and afterwards take stiff pictures in their finery on her picturesque staircase.

It had taken a lot of work to get to this very basic stage of preparation. The very tips of her hair had been trimmed so that the entire length was so even you could level a table by it. Her eyebrows had been waxed. Her nails and toe nails had been done with shiny gold lacquer; it was the gel nail polish that cost a bit more but was said to look better and last longer. Her teeth were sparkling white after enduring a week of disgusting whitening strips, 20 minutes twice a day.

All of that and she was finally in good enough shape to start getting ready.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Naomi had been slightly apprehensive about getting ready with Mara and the others. Not out of dislike for either them or the preparation itself. She just didn't appreciate people around while she was primping. She preferred that people only saw the final result of all the work that went into looking good.

But there was always the risk of her looking terrible and not realising it (a very slim chance, but it was there) and prom night was the worst time for that to happen. Even if it was just a glorified party, people would bring cameras and take photos and remember it for the rest of their lives. Naomi didn't want to be that girl who didn't realise she was wearing clown make-up, and if anyone was good at noticing that kind of thing it was Mara.

Naomi knocked on the front door three times, shifting a little as she waited. She had to keep resisting the urge to check her hair. She'd had it done professionally earlier in a curly up-do, and was hoping it would stay that way for the night. Her hair in its natural state was terrifyingly frizzy, and she kept wanting to make sure it hadn't somehow exploded back into that state while she wasn't looking.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

To say the Montalvo estate was a palace would be an understatement.

Summer found herself lost in the beauty of the home as she drove up the long, circling driveway. While she'd visited several times in the past, the home never lost its luster. In comparison, her own townhouse in the heart of downtown Seattle looked dull, though she knew it was nothing to scoff at and how lucky her parents had been able to afford even that.

Pulling up near the entrance, Summer gave two quick honks as she spotted Naomi waiting at the front door. She'd been mentally preparing herself since the moment Mara had told her Naomi was coming as well, having only seen her once or twice since she won the election. Still, she smiled and waved at the girl and stopped the car, hesitating for only a moment to check her reflection in her rear view mirror before exiting. She'd gotten her hair and makeup done prior, not necessarily trusting herself when it came to such a large event. Her face had been done subtly, with a neutral shimmering eye shadow and matte light coral colored lipstick. If light hit her right, however, it caught the sparkles in her foundation and brought a whole new level to her. Her hair had been done similarly simply, a low chignon adorned with a white feather hair piece to go with her dress.

Exiting her car, dress bag in one hand, and her oversized purse in the other, Summer bounded for the extravagant front door, the smile from the car having never left her face.

"You beat me!" She said, titling her head in faux disappointment, "I thought for sure I was gonna get here first, but my appointment ran really late," Adjusting her bag she spoke once more, this time giving Naomi a quick one armed hug, "You look so good! Did you do your hair yourself?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

The knocks echoed in a hollow manner through the house. Mara waited, but didn't hear any footsteps. She frowned in annoyance and her reflection frowned back at her. She noticed how awful she looked when she was frowning and set her face back into a smile. She huffed, stood and tightened her robe. Mara slipped on her house slippers and walked down the hall and descended the stairs to the front door. Her delicate hands, indicative of her never having done any sort of rough labor, turned the knob of the front door to bring her face to face with the other two girls.

"Hello girls," she enthused and opened the door fully to allow them in. Mara peered out into the drive way to make sure no one else was outside. She closed the door but made sure that it was unlocked so that she wouldn't have to come back down when Miranda showed up.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting. My mother gave the maid the night off just because her stupid son is going to prom tonight too and she wanted to be there. I mean, we pay her to be here. Some people don't even have a job in this economy and here we are handing out days off. Sometimes I think we're too nice," she explained, walking back up the stairs.

Just at the door of her room she removed the slippers and turned to look at them properly now that she'd vented her annoyance.

"You two look very pretty. Very pretty indeed. We're going to be the best looking group there."
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Naomi shifted the dress bag in her hand before returning the brief, one-armed hug. Her opinion on Summer tended to vary wildly, usually depending on if they were in competition for anything. The weeks leading up to the presidential election, Naomi had despised her. Acting cute shouldn't be a valid method of earning votes, but it was one that worked well for Summer and Naomi had hated that. But now that the elections were over, Naomi was back to a state of friendly ambivalence.

"No, I'm not so arrogant in my hairstyling abilities that I'd risk attempting it tonight. I had it done earlier. You look lovely, as well. The hair piece is a nice touch. Very elegant."

Mara opened the door and let them in, apologizing and subsequently complaining about the maid having a life outside of cleaning their house. Not that it was a surprise that the maid would prioritize her son's prom over cleaning. Parents were the only people that made more of a fuss over prom than the students going. Not that Naomi's parents had, they hadn't even been home when she left. But they'd asked for photos a few days ago. That was their version of making a fuss. Much more dignified.

Mara declared that they would be the prettiest girls there. Naomi smiled widely and said, "Of course. We will be the most pulchritudinous." Fun word, pulchritudinous. I so rarely get to use it in a sentence.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Summer offered a laugh following Naomi's statement and resisted to urge to play with her coifed hair, instead rolling one of the pearl studs in her ears between her fingers.

"You know you're Naomi Bell, right? I don't think I've ever seen you fail at anything," She said coyly, forcing her smile wider as she punctuated her sentence with a, "Miss President," as if to prove her point. It still hurt when she thought about Naomi winning, her chest tightening every time it passed through her mind that maybe people cared for Naomi more. She didn't want to be overlooked or forgotten. She wanted people to want her around. If she were to die tomorrow, she wanted people to cry. Beneath the makeup and behind the smile, she was just a girl who wanted the world.

If nothing else, Naomi was, in the very least, a driving force for Summer. She'd always been ambitious, but in the face of failure only more so. Loss made her want to work harder, text each and every one of her friends just to ask how they are, remind them that she exists. It drove her to be the very best version of herself she could be and for that, she owed Naomi some gratitude.

With that in mind, Summer thanked Naomi for her compliment and gave an exuberant greeting as Mara opened the door and lead the girls inside, smiling an genuine smile and giving her the same one armed hug as Mara apologized for wait, apparently caused by an absent maid.

"Aww, it was nice of you guys to give her the night off," Summer said thoughtfully as she scanned the perfect entryway of Mara's home, "I'm sure she appreciates it. She'll probably work harder too," She finished, not wanting to disagree with Mara's assessment.

Following Mara up the grand staircase and down the beautiful decorated halls, Summer was once more overcome with not only the beauty of the palatial home, but its eeriness. She could practically hear each breath the three girls took and their soft footsteps echoing across the house. She wondered if Mara was always alone like this in her own house. It seemed so foreign to Summer, especially when her own parents had been with her until the very second she left her house wishing her luck and demanding pictures.

"I'd hate to play Scrabble with you, Naomi," Summer giggled as they entered Mara's room. Hanging her dress-bag on the top of Mara's four poster, she plopped down on the cushy bed and ran her hands over the silk bedding.

"I'm just glad you guys let me tag along," She said, arching her back appreciatively on the comfortable bed, "I'd hate if I brought down the pretty girl rep. It's like Cinderella and Snow White inviting Quasimodo to the ball."
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Mara sat down at her vanity mirror and took up her curling iron, and began aggressively forming waves in her hair. She would run her hair through, curl, spray, let it down.

"There are snacks over on the desk," she offered, looking back at the girls in the reflection of the mirror.

The desk had a three tiered tea service with small square sandwiches on the first layer, scones on the second and fruit at the very top.

"I am nice, aren't I?" she said, looking smugly at herself before starting up on her hair again. She breezed past the ten dollar word, not acknowledging it lest revealing that she wash't sure of it's meaning.

"Don't be silly, Summer. I wouldn't have invited you if I thought you'd bring the group down. This is a day with a lot of pictures and while there's some strategy to inviting ugly girls into your group to make you look better by comparison, I'd rather have an atheistically pleasing memory to show my children all around."

Mara pushed her fingers through her hair, loosening the curls up and pulled out a gold peacock hair pin that appeared to be very old.

"So don't you worry about that! And if you don't believe me I bet the boys will remind all of us once they get here."

She slipped the pin through the left side of her face, pushing the hair back and clipped it in, leaving one half pulled back and the rest in loose, lustrous black waves.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Miranda bounded up to the Montalvo door.

Well, wasn't she fashionably late? Sure, it was fashionable. But lateness wasn't exactly a virtue. Miranda knew she couldn't be late all the time. But here she was, late. And that wasn't a good thing. Miranda prided herself on being right on time, or perhaps even earlier. You could never be too early. That was a fact.

Miranda had taken a while to get ready. But she was ready now. She had found a nice dress a few days ago. Black, ankle-length with a slit on one side to show off her leg, strapless. Once she tried it on, it made her feel... deadly. Like a femme fatale? Yeah, like a femme fatale. Miranda felt like she was going to go into some private eye's office with sax music playing, asking for help on who killed her wealthy husband. And that's why she picked it. She had always loved the idea of femme fatales, actually.

Plus, you could never go wrong with a little black dress.

She had found the right shoes, and she had found the right makeup. Heck, she even found a pair of long black gloves to go with it. Some part of her wanted to find a cigarette holder at One Man's Trash or somewhere, so she could complete the look she was going for, but she had the feeling it wasn't allowed, even if there was no cig in it. She had left her hair down and styled it.

And she was gorgeous, she realized.

So why was she late again?

Gah, whatever. She had to say hi to Mara and co., right?

Right.

Miranda reached to knock on the door.

God, she hoped she wasn't shunned too much because she didn't have a date, barring last-minute stuff...
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Summer's comment about Naomi not failing at anything wasn't far from truth. Naomi did tend to succeed a lot more than she failed. But the little 'Miss President' that punctuated the end of it made Naomi wonder if she was still bitter about losing the presidential campaign. Naomi couldn't blame her if she was--Naomi certainly would have been bitter in her position--but she hoped it wasn't the case.

"Yes, but I'm fairly sure I came close to losing," Naomi said, smiling. "Your campaign was put together extremely well, and I was honestly afraid I was going to lose to you." It was the truth, and hopefully enough to soothe Summer's ego a little.

She placed down her dress bag and make-up kit as Summer made a comment about possibly dragging down the pretty girl reputation, and it being like... oh, lord, did she have to make the Cindarella-Quasimodo comparison? Mara followed it up by declaring her desire for aesthetic-looking prom photographs.

Given Naomi's choice of prom date, she couldn't help but think these comparisons weren't entirely coincidental.

"Oh, were we supposed to meet our dates here? I had intended to meet Oswaldo when I got there," Naomi said lightly. She hadn't actually forgotten that their dates were coming here, but she didn't want to have Mara talk to Oswaldo if she could help it, given Mara's... general attitude towards anyone she considered below her. Inviting him to Mara's house was just inviting trouble, and he had friends that he'd probably want to meet with before prom anyway.

"That's a really nice hair-pin, by the way." Naomi eyed the peacock hair-pin appreciatively. "Looks antique. Very charming." She hadn't really put any accessories in her hair, and was starting to wonder if maybe she should have.

There was a knocking sound from the front door. That was probably Miranda. Naom had opened her mouth to ask if the door was unlocked when her mobile phone went off. Naomi frowned a little and pulled it out of her pocket, flicking it open. The number on the screen was her home number, that meant it was either Maria or the nanny. It couldn't be ignored, then. "Oh, I need to take this. Do you mind if I take it to another room?"
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

"Okay. Okay. You can deal with this Mike."

He was standing on the side of the road, his Ford Taurus SHO out of gas. Planning journeys and being expected to pay attention to trivial details were not things Mike was used to doing, and they were not things he had any particular skill with. The car was an eighteenth birthday gift from his father that Mike assumed was another token low-effort attempt at patching up their strained relationship, a gift Mike had accepted enthusiastically without even considering acting on the intent behind it. Like, if "Senator" Michael Fischer was so keen on fixing his relationship with his son (a relationship that never really existed beyond formalities and arguments anyway), he could have gotten a better car.

A Ford Taurus SHO wasn't bad. It wasn't humiliating. But it wasn't exactly grand. It wasn't exactly the best or most expensive car on the market. Hell, he couldn't even spout some politically-correct save-the-Earth bullshit about this car to chat up some tree-hugger chicks. Michael couldn't THINK of any cars (that weren't sports cars, which tended to not have enough room in the back for stuff) that he'd rather have, but he was sure they existed. Cars were not his area of expertise.

But it would suffice. He could drive his car to Mara's place (which, if he remembered correctly, made the place where he used to live look like a inner-city Detroit apartment, and the place where he lived now look like a Ugandan hovel, and Ugandan hovels look like holes in the ground), pick her up, go to the prom, and then....well, see what happened. But now? That was all gone. His car had an empty tank, and he was waiting for his mom to come pick him up in her clunky white SUV that looked like it was ripped straight from the 90s. The bad part of the 90s too, whenever that was.

He was only a few minutes walk or so from Mara's place, but he didn't trust leaving his car all alone out here. It was a decent car, and he had some stuff in the trunk that he didn't fancy losing due to a car theft. Sure, it was a decent neighbourhood, but if Michael was a car thief, he would prowl the nicer areas. Surely some poor criminal with a lower level of education would have hit on this high-risk high-reward strategy too. So no, he had to wait for his mom to arrive to deal with it.

He decided he might as well send a text to Mara. He was probably too early anyway, but he wasn't going to risk being late on his prom night, especially when he had a pretty attractive date to boot. Whipping out his phone he sent a brief text to Mara.

"lol my car ran out of gas will be there in a few minutes"

He then pondered on whether to include a few kisses in the text. He settled on one little "x" at the end. Do any less, he'd look cold and dispassionate (by the standards of some girls; he didn't know if Mara was the obsessive type to analysis every nuance in every text.) Do any more, he'd look....gay or something? He didn't really know. Didn't really care.

He hit "Send", and went back to standing by his car and staring at the ground.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Summer smiled appreciatively once Mara had insisted she wanted her to be there. Although Mara was generally friendlier towards Summer than she was to the majority of Aurora, it was rare for her to hand out compliments so freely and Summer was eager to accept them; perhaps taking it more personally than intended.

Although she was typically in the know, Summer had missed that Naomi's date was Oswaldo somewhere down the line. She instantly glanced at Mara's reflection in the mirror to gauge her reaction so as to adjust herown accordingly, but was met only with a poker face. Cocking her head, she decided it was best be as supportive as possible.

"I didn't know you were going with Oswaldo. That's adorable! His dad's a writer isn't he? I bet he has some really awesome stories," She said.

Removing herself from the lavish bed, Summer smoothed out her velour tracksuit and nodded thoughtfully in agreement following Naomi's comment about Mara's hairpin before making her way over to the snacks.

"That thing probably costs more than my house," She laughed, gingerly picking up a plump strawberry, "It's gorgeous. Mike's gonna have to beat the guys off you,"

"Did you put this together by yourself, by the way?" She asked in regards to the tea service. Not wanting to be rude by just eating a couple pieces of fruit, she picked up a blueberry scone and took a small bite from it, despite not liking scones at all, though it was better than banking on the sandwiches being vegan.

Placing her partially eaten scone on a tea-plate, she pointed to the large double doors at the other side of Mara's bedroom that lead to Mara's en-suite bathroom following Naomi's phone call. "You could take it in there? Wait until you see her bidet," she laughed, turning her attention to Mara as Naomi left for the bathroom and a heavy knock resounded through the empty house, which Summer guessed was the last of their entourage; Miranda.

"That's probably Miranda, do you want me to run down real quick and let her in?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Mara went to a door on the side of the room that looked to be a mirror with a door nob in it and opened it revealing a room about half the size of the one they were currently in. The space was longer than it was wide, and filled with clothes and shoes. On a hook on the backside of the door that had been opened hung a long white bag. Mara delicately removed the bag and with the care of a mother carrying a newborn child, took it and laid it down across a chair. The bag bunched up just a bit to reveal shimmering gold cloth peeking out of the bottom.  The bag eclipsed a pair of red high heels that would on any other occasion be the bright pride of an outfit, now shyly looking out from behind blinding fabric.

"Right, Oswald seems.....sturdy," she said as she grasped for a positive adjective.

"Oh no. The tea service was done before the staff left for today. I can't take credit for it, but it's nice, right? We used to have tea parties when we were little."

She jumped at the chance to change the topic and beamed, preening and tilting her head from side to side so she could see the hairpin glitter.

"It was my grandmother's. Made in Spain from Spanish gold. It was an engagement present from my grandfather."

There was a knock and Naomi's phone went off. She requested to take it to anther room. Summer suggested the bathroom which she supposed worked fine, though it was her house and her place to say who went where. "The bathroom's fine. Less of a chance of having a run in with Rebeca. I think she's in a mood."

Mara tapped her foot for a moment and then gave a long, anguished sigh. "No maid!" she grumbled as a reminder to herself. Summer offered to get it put Mara put a hand on her shoulder to prevent her from popping up. "No, you're a guest. That wouldn't be polite of me."

She walked to her door. "Miranda, we're in my room. The front door is unlocked. Apologies, the maid has the night off!" she shouted clear across the house to the downstairs in a volume that one would not think would come out of such a slight frame. She cleared her throat and came back in, sitting close to Summer.

"Can you believe Naomi?" she whispered. "It's nice to do charity, I donate my out of season clothes to the homeless you know, but carrying that over into prom is a bit much," she said in a hushed tone to Summer, waiting for Miranda to come up.

Her phone buzzed and she whipped it off the shelf it was resting on. The shelf held a few picture frames and some winning pageant ribbons, one accompanied by half a remaining outfit whose other half appeared to suffer immolation.

Mara glowed. "Aww, he was going to be early," she cooed. She texted a response.
"We're getting to prom by limo but I'm sorry you're having car problems. You're really early anyhow. <3 "
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

(Skipping Kamikaze with permission from... I can't remember who... to keep this moving.)

"Haven't actually read any of his father's stories. I think they're fantasy stories or something similar, and I prefer other genres..." The only sort of fantasy novels that Naomi was ever slightly interested in tended to be historical fantasy or something that drew much more heavily from the real world. Some imagination was fine, but Naomi much preferred stories that were grounded in reality.

Summer's comment, at least, was less painful than Mara's comment about him being sturdy. Sturdy? What did that even mean? How was he sturdy? Unless not dying in the fire that caused all those burns counted as sturdy.

"Yes. Sturdy," Naomi said quietly. Well, at least Mara was attempting to be positive to her face.

Holding the still-ringing phone, Naomi quickly shuffled out of the bedroom and to the bathroom that Summer had told her to use. "I'll be done in a minute!" she called out as she shut the door.

The phone call turned out to be from the nanny, asking where various items in the house were. Apparently the instructions Naomi had left behind weren't clear enough, but she had been in a hurry and wasn't used to having to leave such comprehensive instructions. Their usual nanny was taking the day off, possibly for similar reasons as Mara's maid.

Still, one would think it would be easier to find out where the ingredients for Maria's dinner were. Ridiculous. Part of Naomi wanted to run home just to make sure the current nanny wasn't completely incompetent, but no. Not tonight. It wasn't as if Maria had never been left on her own before (just as it'd been for Naomi before her) and her parents would be home in an hour or so. Everything would be fine.

Naomi reached for the doorknob to go back to Mara's room, but froze mid-way. Mara clearly disapproved of Oswaldo, judging by her difficulty in finding even one positive adjective. While she had the class to not say anything to Naomi's face, behind her back was probably another matter entirely. That was something that Naomi didn't want to walk in on. It would just make the night incredibly awkward. Naomi stepped back from the door, set on waiting another thirty seconds just to make sure she didn't accidentally overhear anything.

Maybe this Oswaldo thing had been a mistake. It had seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that she was hiding in a bathroom from one of her best friends... well, doubts began to come to mind. Naomi looked down at her phone, which she still had clasped in her hand. Maybe it wasn't too late to call and cancel...

No. That was flaky. Naomi was not flaky. She'd made her choice and she didn't quit on her choices. In any case, canceling at the last minute wouldn't make anything better. It would just make her seem like a bi--unpleasant person. Besides, she could have picked worse than Oswaldo. She could have picked an air-headed, party-obsessed jock who would only understand the word 'no' if she wrote it on her hand in felt tip marker before she slapped him. No, thank you. Even if it would look better in a photograph. Naomi would hopefully look good enough to make up for Oswaldo anyway.

Naomi stuck the phone back in her pocket before opening the door and going back to Mara's room.

"Just the nanny. No substantial problems. Forgot to have a look at the bidet, though." Naomi picked up her dress bag (which, in hindsight, she probably should have taken into the bathroom with her) while adding, "So, did I miss anything good?"

Make up something pleasant.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

((Sorry everyone. X_x))

A few beats.

Then she heard Mara call down.

Maid was out? Slightly odd, based off what she knew of Mara and her home. Perhaps she needed a break, though. Sometimes the help needed that. Either way...

The door was unlocked. Might as well go in.

Miranda opened the door, seeing the inside. Well, they were upstairs, so might as well head up, right? Right.

"Heading up!" she called out.

Her heels gently clicked as she went up the stairs. Hopefully they were ready. Though, they still had time to prepare, correct? So they were probably just getting ready, and probably hanging out a bit as well.

Miranda poked her head in. Mara was there, obviously. So was Summer, and a second later Naomi came back in as well.

"Hey", she softly said.

She smiled.
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

((Uh, Sorry if I've missed the call))

Kat pulled up to the driveway of Mara's house and parked her car, slightly jealous of the sheer opulence shown off by the sheer size of the place. As she got out, she pulled out her dress bag, which had inside a blue ankle length dress and matching heels. She'd made sure that she was mostly ready for the event: her hair, nails and face had already been done. Her hair had been curled at the ends and her nails were now painted pink.

She was slightly nervous as she walked up to the house, not because of who she was about to meet, but rather who was going to come. She'd been asked to prom by Cody freaking Patton. Of course she was going to say yes, he was a hunk. She rubbed her wrist as she walked up to the door and knocked.

She hoped she was ready for the good times to come.
Survivor: UCONN - Seriously, it's awesome!

Version 8
Kaede Tsurumi: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!"
Morgan Whitney
Tyler Slomkowski
Victor Grail: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all."
[+] Version 7
Male Student #65: Manuel Figueroa; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Female Student #70: Jessica Rennes; Status: ACTIVE (Adopted by Brackie)
Female Student #79: Stephanie McDonald; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Return to “Before Prom”