Last Days

The streets are cracked and worn, with vegetation sprouting anywhere it can. Several shady alleyways offer some form of protection from prying eyes, but not much. Overall, the area is nothing more than a concrete jungle, with abandoned cars and broken streetlights. This area also includes other small shops and buildings.
KamiKaze

Last Days

Post by KamiKaze »

((Miranda Millers continued from Somewhere, Beyond The Sea))

It was difficult, carrying all these things. Miranda had eventually decided to pack what she could, such as the food and water, into one bag. Even then, it was difficult. Carrying her things, plus the spear, was a strain on the shoulders.

But Miranda walked.

Something that surprised Miranda was that she hadn't encountered anyone so far. Not that she was complaining about that, of course. She didn't want to face that truth, no matter how in her face it was. But it was a truth she didn't like, nor was it a truth worth avoiding.

In that sense, not seeing anyone was almost a blessing.

It meant that she didn't have to do what she was supposed to do. If she ran into someone, she knew there was going to be bloodshed from one of them. They wouldn't hesitant to attack her, after all, so she had to make sure that she was safe. And if it boiled down to that...

She knew what option she had to take.

Though, she knew how terrible it would be to just up and kill everyone she as much as blinked at. That was never a way to go about things. But she did have the spear, and really, half the time just scaring people away would work. Still...

Miranda had found herself in what appeared to be an abandoned town. The streets were desolate, with broken street lights and utterly wrecked cars. It reminded her of some movies she had seen about the end times. It was almost as if she was the last person on Earth, or at least one of the last. Wait no. It reminded her of some horror game.

It unsettled her even more, to see what appeared to be some sort of semblance of civilization that was gone. It was creepy. It was as if zombies were going to come out and bite her or something. No, why did zombies come to mind at a time like this?

Miranda gently placed her things on a car, and leaned her body against the metal, spear still in hand.

It was worth taking a break, of course. She needed her rest, even if briefly.

Her eyes darted around the buildings a bit more. Shelter? They appeared to be old broken down stores. So shelter and supplies. It was probably worth it to loot around a bit later. Maybe there was something for her to find that could be of use.

Maybe.
Aster

Post by Aster »

Veronica was cuffed to a chair and had no idea how she got there.

To her left was a girl named Natalia Kowalski, a name she associated with the face she had seen around Aurora. On the stage was Mr. Davidge, in the same predicament as herself with the exception of a duct taped mouth. Veronica started squirming and shouting out questions. Some classmates did the same.

A man came out, told them he was "introducing tonight's entertainment" and proceeded to shoot their teacher twice.

Veronica added her screams of surprise, shock and bloody murder to the growing din, vaguely registering the girl next to her elbow the boy next to her. Another man came out, and announced their entrance into a game, called Survival of the Fittest...

---

G025, Veronica McDonald: START

Veronica woke up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily and clutching the bag apparently put on her chest. She found herself in a shady alleyway, behind a dumpster and facing a dirty chain-link fence. 'G025' was stamped on it in bold, white letters, bringing to mind a quote she had once heard from somewhere.

The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic.

Oh great, Veronica thought, tracing the number on her bag. I'm a statistic now.

She quickly opened the bag and dug around for a weapon. She fished out a first aid kit, along with some rations. Finally, she pulled out a tire iron, with a sticky note attached to it.

Formerly B058, J.R. Rizzolo's, winner of Survival of the Fittest Version 3

A recycled winner's weapon, huh? Not a bad draw, but it made Veronica uncomfortable. The sort of memories this thing must hold are probably very tragic, and the fact that this weapon probably was used to kill someone chilled her to the bone.

Oh well, a recycled weapon is better than no weapon.

Veronica hefted the black bag on her shoulder and scoped the area, hiding in the shadows of the allet. She was planted down in a concrete jungle straight out of a post-apocalyptic movie. She noticed another girl with a spear leaning against a car. Miranda Millers. She didn't like the fellow track team member, as she just seemed too snooty to her liking. Nevertheless, she was more desirable than someone else as a first confrontation, at least if she didn't stab her first.
V8
Anthony Rafael "Raf" Halili
Jordan Toribio
Kiana Coleman
Mariel Rivera
[+] Past Characters
V5
G025: Veronica McDonald
B033: Jason Meyers
G049: Natalia "Koala" Kowalski

V6
G003: Bridgette Sommerfeld (adopted by backslash)
B007: Jasper Bustamante (adopted by Cicada)
B031: Samuel Howard
Haley Luz Juarez
    [+] Chat Quotes
    wrote:[21:51] Zarina: "and then Naft rode Aloha's large purple crab all night long, in a hypothetical future where Aloha is at the age of consent"
    [21:51] Zarina: the end
    wrote:Kyoko Sakura-chan - Today at 5:01 PM
    In Hawaiian, Aloha means "Hello" and "Goodbye," the latter of which is appropriate considering how fast his V6 cast died
    Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

((Amaranta Montalvo: Start))

Mara first became conscious before opening her eyes. For a moment she was conscious, but kept her eyes closed. She felt she was flat on her back, laying on a hard and uncomfortable surface. She groaned and finally opened her eyes slowly. She rolled and then felt whatever surface she was on suddenly stopped, but prevented toppling completely over by grabbing wildly at the metal.

Mara opened her eyes fully and took stock. She'd woken up on top of the roof of a car. She slid down the side of the car, landing gingerly on the ground. It was a gross looking car too. Yuck. She brushed herself off and then grabbed her bag from the roof as well. Mara tried to take a step forward, but she was dizzy and slumped back against the car door roughly.

She hadn't eaten breakfast and she'd refused the airport food. She searched her bag and found some food-esque bricks and a helmet. She shook her head, it was still foggy.

Helmet in one hand and the issued duffle on her shoulder, she ventured forward, carefully stepping in and around the twisting vines that had reclaimed the street. Mara looked up at a set of nonfunctioning traffic lights, then to the cars stuck at the intersection that would always be waiting. She turned left down the street, keeping close to the parked cars.

Then she saw a familiar dress attached to a familiar person. Better than familiar, it was someone that she generally liked.

"Randa?" she said in a clear voice. Loud enough to be heard, not so loud as to attract further attention.
    KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

As Miranda rested, a new figure slowly made an appearance in her line of version.

Wonderful. The first person she had to see, of all people, was Veronica McDonald. Miranda never liked her. Veronica could be compared to a barking chihuahua; she was known to argue with others for ill-defined reasons. Miranda had known her from track, and dear god, was she a pain. It was hard not to be familiar with how Veronica acted, especially if they were in the same club.

Point being, Veronica was someone who Miranda had a hard time tolerating.

Even then, though, could she do it?

Miranda felt herself tense up again, and gripped her spear.

"McDonald..." her voice came out in a low register. "What do you want?"

The tone in her voice was not a pleasant one. Her posture and her voice had somewhat changed, as she held the spear closer to the front of her. Miranda could strike if she wanted to, or if Veronica did something stupid.

Could she strike Veronica down? She knew she had to, she just needed to mentally prepare herself a bit-

Who was that?

Miranda looked to her side.

"Mara?"
    decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

((Male Sudent #53: Mike Whaley - START))

This sucked.

Not as bad as it did an hour ago when he had woken up, but even without the freakout and the memories of being sprayed, Mike was not having a good time. He'd been told to kill his classmates and friends - after being sprayed with Mr. Davidge's blood, and had woken up crunched in the (thankfully open) trunk of a car.

Now here he was, walking through the streets, holding the gun - an MP7, according to the piece of paper taped to it, although it was of little import to him. What mattered was that he was carrying a loaded machine gun, which he could at least defend himself with against any psychos that came along.

Still would be nice to find someone I don't need to defend myself against.

After a couple minutes of wandering, Mike finally lucked out - somewhat. Mara Montalvo and Miranda Millers were there, as was one other person he didn't know. But how harmful would they really be?

"Hello! Everyone all right, well, all right given the circumstances?" He waved his left hand, which was free, so that they could see him better.
    Survivor: UCONN - Seriously, it's awesome!

Version 8
    Kaede Tsurumi: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!"
    Morgan Whitney
    Tyler Slomkowski
    Victor Grail: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all."
    [+] Version 7
    Male Student #65: Manuel Figueroa; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Female Student #70: Jessica Rennes; Status: ACTIVE (Adopted by Brackie)
    Female Student #79: Stephanie McDonald; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Aster

Post by Aster »

Bad sign: Tone of voice, tight grip on weapon.
    Good sign: Friend of hers, some other kid approaching as well.
    Bad sign #2: The friend is Mara.
    Bad sign #3: The other kid has a gun.

Great. Now she had to deal with two snooty popular girls. Mara was about as insufferable as Miranda, but to a lesser extent. Also, that other kid (Mitch? It was M-something) might be dangerous with that weapon. Veronica was wary of all three, and didn't feel like she was among familiars.

"Okay enough," She said curtly to Mitch or something. She motioned towards the other two. "These two, on the other hand, are having a rather pleasant reunion." Veronica turned to Miranda. "Also, Miranda, I'm not going to kill you, and I hope you don't kill me. This is a no-killing zone. At least for the time being."

She analyzed the situation. Mitch seemed nice enough, even with that gun. Alliance, maybe? She'd have to find Ruth, who hadn't crossed her mind until then. A pang of worry hit her, and she hoped he was okay.

Hope he has a good draw.
    V8
    Jordan Toribio
    Kiana Coleman
    Mariel Rivera
    [+] Past Characters
    V5

V6
    Haley Luz Juarez
      [+] Chat Quotes
      wrote:[21:51] Zarina: "and then Naft rode Aloha's large purple crab all night long, in a hypothetical future where Aloha is at the age of consent"
      In Hawaiian, Aloha means "Hello" and "Goodbye," the latter of which is appropriate considering how fast his V6 cast died
      Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Oh it is you!"

Mara smiled, walked towards Miranda and gave her a quick hug, followed by an air kiss on the cheek. She stepped back and looked at her.

"Love your dress, by the way. Ugh, how ridiculous is this? I mean, really. I hope they refund our money on this trip."

Mara dropped her bag and stretched out her arms as she continued casually chatting.

"They are going to hear from my father that's for sure. He's going to be so absolutely furious with the airport and school, as he should be!"

Michael walked up and asked how they were. Normally, Mara wouldn't have really given him the time of day, but this seemed like a situation to try and be a little more allowing until the rescue came.

"Fine," she replied with a shrug. "Hungry. They better come soon. I'm not eating those disgusting food bricks."

Veronica was suddenly going off the rails about something. Typical Veronica. She just wanted to make everyone miserable all the time.

"What the hell are you even going on about, Vanessa?"

Mara looked at Miranda and made a little swirling motion with her finger near her temple and nodded her head at Veronica.
      KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

If the circumstances had been different, Miranda's reaction would have, needless to say, been something else entirely.

She would have cheerfully returned Mara's hug, complimented her outfit in turn, and complained with her. If it had been simply the plane being delayed, she would have agreed all the way. She would have said that the crew members needed to work harder to get everything going.

Despite Mara's reaction, though, this wasn't a simple plane delay. And so, Miranda's reaction was much more different.

When Mara had hugged her, Miranda had visibly tensed up, making her almost as stiff as a mannequin. The only sign of looseness in her body was the grip on her spear lessening.

"Hey Mara. You... look great", Miranda said.

Her voice had come out a lot more quiet than she had expected. She honestly... didn't know what to say.

And as if this wasn't confusing enough, Mike Whaley had to show up. Miranda only knew of him from the fact that he was on some sports teams, and normally she wouldn't have cared.

The thing that bugged Miranda, though, was everyone acting as if everything was alright. Of course it wasn't. Any one of them could die at any moment. She didn't know what Mara and Veronica had gotten, but Mike had a gun of some kind. Miranda felt her grip on the spear tighten again as Veronica began talking.

No killing zone. Really. To be fair, she couldn't expect much more from Veronica. She was always such a loudmouth. For her to say things like this, even here, was to be expected.

But... she couldn't. Not now.

Miranda had remained silent as the three went on. There was no way she could even fathom responding. She didn't want to be here. So many people, it made her feel... ill. Not like she was going to throw up or pass out, but it was, needless to say, a different kind of ill. If things had been different, she would have joined in on telling Veronica off.

Just a few seconds ago, she was thinking about stabbing Veronica.

Now she wasn't sure what to do.

So she just held on to her spear.
      decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

"Okay enough. These two, on the other hand, are having a rather pleasant reunion. Also, Miranda, I'm not going to kill you, and I hope you don't kill me. This is a no-killing zone. At least for the time being."

Unknown girl was the only person to say anything substantial. Mara was feeling hungry, but that was it. Miranda said nothing, but she was holding some type of pointy stick. So he had one person whom he didn't know, and two people who didn't talk to him at best. Of course, the fact that they weren't attacking him meant that they were pretty good. For now. Although the stick still made Mike a little wary.

"So, does anybody have any ideas on what to do?" Mike asked. "There's a whole island we can go to and do, well, I don't know, maybe hide out?"

Version 8
      Kaede Tsurumi: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!"
      Morgan Whitney
      Tyler Slomkowski
      Victor Grail: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all."
      [+] Version 7
      Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
      Aster

Post by Aster »

"I'm answering a question, Mira. Is that bad? Also, I can see you doing that. I'm not blind." Veronica snapped at Mara. She was reconsidering this whole 'better first encounter' train of thought. Maybe she'd ditch them the next chance she got.

Sigh, even during a huge grade-wide deathmatch, the two of them (or at least Mara) were still huge bitches. They were all going to die, so why not actually be nice for once? At least the other kid was being sensible!

Veronica groaned indignantly and kicked a pebble, which slowly bounded under the car Miranda was leaning on. She guessed that she'd stick around until the others left, which gave her time to actually plan. It helps to have a strategy instead of running around aimlessly, talking to people occasionally and then going somewhere else to talk to/kill/get killed by more people.
      V8
      Jordan Toribio
      Kiana Coleman
      Mariel Rivera
      [+] Past Characters
      V5

V6
      Haley Luz Juarez
        [+] Chat Quotes
        Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Uh, if we hide how are they going to find us? Duh?" she said with her hands on her hips.

Victoria was saying something again. Who knows what she wanted. Asking nonsensical questions was a past time now or something.

"Mira...que?"

<Look at....what?>

Well, this was a tough situation so Mara supposed she could afford to be a little more gracious than usual. That and she'd thrown some Spanish in when talking to Mara, so she assumed the girl was trying to connect with her, perhaps.

"Whatever. Listen, there was a map in my bag. I'm going to go to the hotel or the beach or something. Relax a little before the rescue shows up. Stay cute, Miranda!"

((Mara Montalvo continued in There ain't no more cowboys, only men with violent hearts))
        KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Miranda found herself glaring a bit at Mike.

So he thinks he could just hide? That everyone could hide and everything would be okay? Miranda honestly doubted that. Sooner or later, it was going to be time. Someone was going to make the first move and attack someone else. Maybe Veronica would be one of the first of those if she kept it up-

Anyways.

Speaking of which, Miranda flinched as Veronica kicked a pebble towards the car she was leaning on. Somebody wasn't really helping herself.

And now Mara was leaving. Miranda tried to scour her mind for something to say. It seemed as if she still wasn't completely aware of the danger. Miranda wasn't sure if that was something to be envied.

It was probably going to be the last time they ever saw each other, at least like this.

Miranda tried.

She said:

"Bye Mara. Stay safe."

Her lips attempted a smile.

She turned to Veronica, and her face turned serious again.

The best outcome was that Miranda came out of this alive and in one piece, with minimal conflict. The longer she didn't have to actually attack anyone, the better.

"McDonald, listen to me."

The spear remained in her hands, still ready to be used.

"You're not helping yourself. Just go with Mike somewhere, I don't care. Just know that with that attitude... bad things will happen."

Her eyes slightly narrowed.

"Trust me."
        decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

As she left, Mara was happily oblivious to their situation - not the kidnapping part, but her having the idea that a rescue was coming, no, assured. Mike, for his part, wasn't so optimistic. Right now, Miranda was chewing out Vanessa or whatever her name was for being catty. Ugh. He didn't know if this was the situation or their normal behavior towards each other.

"Yeah, I'll take all the help we can get, Vanessa," Mike replied. "If we stick together as a group and try to keep the infighting down to a minumum, we might just last a good long while, find our friends, and figure something out." Mike paused for a moment and showed his gun, keeping it in a non-threatening position.

"This is what they gave me, if the way I was holding it wasn't obvious enough. What about you?" MIke quickly tried to change the subject, admittedly in a bit of an awkward manner. At least talking about what they had wouldn't devolve into a fight as quickly.

Version 8
        Morgan Whitney
        Tyler Slomkowski
        [+] Version 7
        Aster

Post by Aster »

Veronica rolled her eyes as Miranda began to warn her, something about her big mouth. She tuned her out, a skill she'd learned in middle school. She was good at ignoring people, or at the least pretending to ignore people. Sooner or later people would snap, and go for the ones who belittled and picked on them in school. Veronica herself wasn't safe in that situation, but they'd go for Miranda more than Veronica herself.

"Yeah, I'll take all the help we can get, Vanessa. If we stick together as a group and try to keep the infighting down to a minumum, we might just last a good long while, find our friends, and figure something out."

She resisted the urge to internally groan. Did this kid really think her name was Vanessa? The sarcasm in the reply should've at least given him a hint.

But still, she stayed. Maybe her internal desire for company forced her to stay. Either way, she was close to blowing a gasket and bonking one of the two.
        V8
        Jordan Toribio
        Kiana Coleman
        Mariel Rivera
        [+] Past Characters
        V5

V6
        Haley Luz Juarez
          [+] Chat Quotes
          KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Veronica had simply rolled her eyes. It was clear she wasn't taking a word she was saying seriously. It was typical, really. Veronica had never been the sort where you could easily reason with.

And then Mike. Mike was still trying to mediate between the two, saying that if they stopped fighting they could still hide somewhere or whatever.

Really, it was admirable what he was trying to do, now that she thought of it. But Miranda...

Miranda didn't feel like sticking around.

She found herself scouring her mind on what she could say again. Veronica was just being... well, Veronica; nothing was really new. Mike was still trying to make things work. It was clear they weren't really all that dangerous now, even if Veronica was being kind of obnoxious. She could still do something, though.

"Listen. I don't feel like sticking around" she said. "You two team up. I'll... just..."

She tried to finish the sentence. Properly.

"Do what I do."

Miranda picked up her things, and started stepping away.

She briefly looked at Veronica, and then at Mike.

Miranda wasn't sure why she said it, but she said it anyways.

"Good luck".

And so, spear still in hand, she went on her way.

That could have gone worse. Veronica was still as temperamental as ever, but at least she turned out to not do anything major.

((Miranda Millers continued in Check Out My New Weapon, Weapon Of Choice))

Return to “The Streets”