Note to Self

School courtyard, lunchtime, open

This is the Sandbox for TV3. Please remember that characters may, at any given time, be present in only one normal thread and one Memory thread. Memory threads should be placed within the Memories subforum. One-shots are always acceptable in both forums regardless of whether or not a character is in a thread.
Espi
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Note to Self

Post by Espi »

"Damn." Kaya growled softly under her breath as she stalked around the open courtyard for the umpteenth time.

Now, Kaya had a lot of notebooks with her at school, it was just how things had to be. She had a lot of classes so she needed a lot of notes, and she was dumb but she wasn't dumb enough to slack on that and risk falling down the ranks 'cause she was lazy. Most of them were safe and sound in her bag, obviously, 'cause it was lunchtime and maybe she could afford to study while she ate but that was a pain and they'd probably get dirty so. The one she had lost was not, however, in her bag, because she'd taken it out to look over, and it had disappeared.

Being real, this was the least important notebook for her to lose because it wasn't for school. But that also meant no hypothetical good Samaritan would find it and go 'Oh, this is for so and so's class! I'll bring it there'. It was her writing notebook, where she'd been prepping her next story. It was just getting started, so there wasn't much in there, and she probably remembered most of the details, but still, she didn't want to start over. Plus it had a lot of her old ideas and stuff too and it'd suck to lose that.

"Crap." She muttered, pacing around once more, examining the planters, benches, counters, and ledges where she might have set it down. No sign of it, and the break ended soon, and once she left, who knew if some jackoff would come grab it and take it for a laugh? Ugh, what a pain in the ass. Kaya stood back up from her stooped searching pose and looked around, eyes narrowed.
Catche Jagger
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Catche Jagger »

((Gabriela Garcia-Campos continued from The SOTF-Con Thread))

The worst thing about being into sci-fi novels, and a problem that Gabriela knew also impacted fantasy readers, was the time investment that went into trying to get into something.

Nobody ever just wrote a good, popular sci-fi novel. Well, not nobody, but almost nobody did. Everything came in series. Instead of a great novel, you got a great trilogy or even worse an unending saga. Now, Gabriela was not opposed to sprawling epics set in the farthest reaches of space, but she was a fucking high school student. She wasn’t made of time.

But one couldn’t just not know about a thing when talking to people, otherwise the whole conversation would become a dogpile of recommendations that one had already heard time and time again. Thus Gabriela had, at times, been forced to fudge her knowledge slightly, to make it seem as though she was far more well read than would have actually been possible for her at the time.

This was why, in spite of having claimed to have read through it many times before, Gabriela was looking through the pages of Dune for the first time as she sat in the school courtyard. Sure, it was considered a classic, but the book had remained rather low on her priorities all the same, a reputation for perhaps being a bit more “fantasy chosen one” than she might normally like her stories.

Not helping her focus was the girl flitting about the courtyard, seemingly looking for god knows what. She was Kaya Robinson, some athlete that had not bothered to get to know Gabriela and whom she had thus granted the same courtesy. For some time Gabriela had silently hoped that this distraction might find its quarry or simply give up the search, but there was no such luck to be had.

Finally fed up, Gabriela set her book down at her side and looked over to Kaya.

“Need help with something?” She asked, trying not to sound like she was snapping at the other girl.
[+] Characters
[+] PV3 Prologue
M35-Muhammad Abbasi - "Hey, it’s okay now. We’re both in this together, right?"
PV3P: 1-2-3-4 | After: 1

M38-Nathan Kirchhoff - "Shit."
PV3P: 1-2-3-4
[+] TV3
ImageCK08FR04 - James Highchurch - “Okay, yeah. Exit strategy. I’ll… Yeah, I’ll think about that.”
Memories: 1 | Sandbox: 1
TV3: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19

ImageBC05 - Gabriela Garcia-Campos - “This is how things are here, the way the show is. So I need to get over it.”
Memories: 1 | Sandbox: 1-2-3
TV3: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14
[+] AUs
International
O19 - Archibald "Archie" Harper - "That’s why we’ve gotta fight the fuck back, one step at a time."
International: 1-2-3

O11 - Jen Mara Tuiqamea (adopted from Cicada and jimmydalad)
International: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

Supers
Alan Melnyk - "What you’ve gotta do is say ‘fuck em’ and keep doing you."
Memories: 1-2-3
Supers: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11
After: 1-2-3
[+] The Future
Second Chances
Aditi Sharma
Desiree Beck
Espi

Post by Espi »

Oh.

"Hey." Kaya said, looking up from the bench she'd looked under for like, the twelfth time already. She hadn't expected to attract attention from anyone, and definitely not Gabriela. The girl had chilled out since middle school, but Kaya still remembered when she was a bit of a beyotch, so, yeah. Otherwise, she actually didn't know too much about the girl, except that she looked like she'd been reading a book, Dune. One of those weird old fantasy novels, Kaya remembered reading it but it hadn't stood out much to her. Pretty generic, honestly.

"Yeah, just looking for my notebook, I have no idea where it went." Kaya shrugged. "You seen it? It's like, light blue, spiral notebook." Kaya didn't really expect any help, but if Gabriela was offering, who was she to say no? It'd be annoying if the other girl found it quicker than her, though. Like, Kaya had been at it for at least five minutes, and then some random comes up and picks it out? Saves some time, sure, but kinda stinks anyway.

With that, Kaya redoubled her efforts, walking quickly across the room and checking under another bench. "I'm not in the way, am I?" She called casually across the room. She couldn't imagine Gabriela would be bothered too much, but you know.
Fenrir
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by Fenrir »

SARAH LILLIAN WHITLOCK CONTINUED FROM Popular Monster

Against all odds Sarah had managed to make it through the rest of her time in the cafeteria without any further incidents; which was to say, without making a further ass of herself. Being able to purchase and eat lunch while managing not to cause a scene shouldn’t have been an achievement, but with the mood she was currently in it felt like one.

It was turning out to be that kind of day.

There was still some time before her lunch period was over and Sarah wanted to get something from her locker before she needed to be at her next class, so she made her way towards one of the school’s open courtyards that would let her cut across and get there a little quicker.

Though it was usually occupied by a handful of people who didn’t feel like braving the cafeteria that day, today there were only two people there when she arrived; a shorter girl sitting and reading a book and a taller girl who looked like she was searching for something. They were familiar faces of a sort, classmates; though she didn’t know either of them personally, she knew them both by name at least. Kaya was someone who seemed friendly enough; Sarah hadn’t spoken to her much, which was enough for her to give the girl the benefit of the doubt. And Gabriella… well, she’d dealt with worse.

She stood and watched the scene play out for a moment. Kaya was definitely looking for something and her quick movements gave the search a frantic edge that made whatever it was seem important. Maybe she’d lost something? If it was important maybe she should offer to help?

Don’t get involved. It’s none of your business and she doesn’t want you butting in.

Ignoring the intrusive thought Sarah walked over to Kaya, stopping when she was close enough to be heard while keeping a comfortable few feet between them. “Hey. Do you need any help?”

This is a mistake. Do you think offering unsolicited help will make people like you?
[+] Supers
SS33: Andrew Martin - The sound of silence
Gift: Hush
[+] TV3
MM02: Sarah Lillian Whitlock - Is anybody out there?
Weapon - WASP Injection Knife
Team - Malcolm's Mariners
Current Location - There's a Fire in the Sky That Only I Can See
Memory Location - Close encounters

ES10: Akeno Kudo - Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset
Memory Location - Coulomb's Law

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
O28: Zander Lin - Don't you know who I am?
Weapon - None
Catche Jagger

Post by Catche Jagger »

Well yeah, Kaya was in the way, obviously. Gabriela wouldn’t have spoken up if Kaya wandering all over the place wasn’t proving to be a distraction. But even though she’d been asked, Gabriela knew better than to answer honestly, that would just cause even more of a headache.

So, light blue spiral notebook? Really narrowed down what she was looking for in the middle of a fucking high school.

“Did you check the lost and found? Or, like, do you know where you were when you last had it?” She asked flatly, scanning the area from her spot on the bench. She really didn’t want to get up from her spot for such an inane matter if she didn’t have to.

Hopefully the questions might inspire some memory for the other girl and get her to go away.

But then, of course, it seemed that this was becoming quite the hotspot for nonsense, as another girl, Sarah Whitlock, decided to butt in to this business.

Well, the more the merrier.

"Light blue spiral notebook. You seen it?" Gabriela asked, not directly looking at the new arrival.
[+] Characters
[+] PV3 Prologue

[+] TV3
ImageCK08FR04 - James Highchurch - “Okay, yeah. Exit strategy. I’ll… Yeah, I’ll think about that.”

ImageBC05 - Gabriela Garcia-Campos - “This is how things are here, the way the show is. So I need to get over it.”
[+] AUs
International
O19 - Archibald "Archie" Harper - "That’s why we’ve gotta fight the fuck back, one step at a time."

Supers
[+] The Future
Second Chances
Aditi Sharma
Desiree Beck
Espi

Post by Espi »

Okay, like, Kaya wasn't blind, or deaf. Gabriela was peeved, duh. Kaya could do exactly jack shit about that, though, so whatever. "Yeah. No labels or anything." She added to Sarah. She wasn't entirely sure what to make of the girl; she was like, a tinfoil hat type of person, you know? What do you even do about that kind of thing? At least she seemed to keep her crazy to herself, so she couldn't be that bad.

Kaya shrugged. Gabriela wasn't like, wrong, but she'd kinda missed the point. Probably on purpose, though, given how happy she seemed about Kaya running around like a decapitated chicken; not at all. "I had it here at the start of lunch, I just put it down somewhere. It can't have gone somewhere on its own and nobody else has been around since I got here."

Ugh, this was so lame. Now she was attracting a crowd. Walking briskly back across the room, Kaya started looking around the other benches. She wasn't sure if she'd checked here before, and that made it as good a place as any.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

A lost notebook. Looked like she was right with her guess that Kaya was looking for something she had lost. Light blue, spiral bound, no labels; well, that shouldn’t be too hard to find if she’d had it with her at the start of lunch like she said. “No, sorry. I haven’t seen it.”

Sarah looked over towards Gabriela, who was still sitting off to the side and reading her book despite being the first to answer her. Was it her imagination or did she sense a little hostility coming from her? Maybe she was annoyed because she was trying to read? She wasn’t helping to look, which was telling, instead pointedly staring at her book as the situation played out around her.

“I’ll help you look.”

She walked the opposite direction of Kaya, back the way she had just come as she started the search on the other end of the courtyard. Peering under and behind benches and along the sides of the room, she couldn’t see anything right away; she also wasn’t looking too thoroughly but this was because she assumed the notebook would have been left somewhere noticeable, unless it had been knocked onto the floor and slid under something.
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None
Catche Jagger

Post by Catche Jagger »

With little being accomplished here, Gabriela finally rose to her feet. Part of her considered just walking right out, considering how foolish this whole deal was, particularly with Sarah joining in, everybody piling into the clown car.

Every moment spent on this hunt that might never even reach a conclusion was more of her break that was wasted, and yet she knew that the right go about things was to provide at least a little bit of effort in helping a classmate in need.

She slowly began to pace around the area, arms folded, eyes scanning for any sign of a light blue notebook. Gabriela wasn’t gonna get down on her hands and knees for this mundane time-sink.

“If you can’t remember when you last had it, how do you know that you didn’t just leave it at home?” Gabriela piped up once again, not looking directly at either of the other girls as she did so, still casually looking around her. She really didn’t want to keep searching if the girl turned out to be some ditz that had no idea what the fuck she was doing.
[+] Characters
[+] PV3 Prologue

[+] TV3

[+] AUs
International

Supers
[+] The Future
Second Chances
Aditi Sharma
Desiree Beck
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

The incompetence of this search party truly was staggering. But at least Abel's initial assumption was valid, not like they ever weren't. After all, he was always objectively correct.

One blue notebook. Spiral bound. No labels. But what a notebook it was! Lots of very boring but somehow very intriguing loose strings of ideas and concepts and ramblings of a madman who most likely spent too much time getting emotionally invested into fights online over fake characters. But enough about Abel's Tuesday nights.

The poor thing was left all alone by the water fountains, like a child separated from his mother at the Wal-mart. Normally Abel would just walk right on by or take it and throw it into the lost and found bin and let it be someone else's problem, but he seemed to recall a certain someone with the same certain notebook and was in the same certain courtyard Abel was just in. It would certainly have been a humble gesture to return it to her, since he was such a good Samaritan.

Regardless, he had been content with just watching the chaos of this circus unfold from the shadows. If these were the best and brightest of Camelot, maybe they could find the Holy Grail sometime before the next decade. But even he had his limits with such clownery, and that was two minutes ago.

And so he stepped out and made his presence known, the blue notebook flashed in front of him. "You ladies looking for this? Found her by the bathrooms."
Espi

Post by Espi »

"'Cause I was using it like twenty minutes ago." Kaya retorted lightly to Gabriela. "It didn't sprout legs and walk away, I just put it down." This was getting frustrating. Kaya knew she wasn't stupid, but she was probably giving that impression. What a pain in the butt this was turning out to be. A few people had walked through, so maybe someone had taken it? Ugh, she hated to admit it, but Gabriela might have a point-

A new voice called out, and Kaya looked over before sighing in relief.

"Oh, thank God." She walked over to take the notebook. "Thanks, man." She didn't really know this dude that well. She saw him reading a lot, and sometimes they were the kinds of books she liked, but they'd never really talked about them or anything. If he'd actually read her notes, he'd probably think she sucked, but meh, she wasn't trying to be the next Tolkien or whatever. "It's just notes on a thing I'm working on. Nothing fancy, but it'd suck to start over, y'know?" Maybe he did, honestly. He looked like a writer-y type. Then again, Kaya was pretty sure she didn't look like a writer-y type, so who knew?

"Hey, thanks for trying, you two. I'll get out of your hair now." Kaya flashed a grin as she walked back to pick up her things and stow her notebook away safely in her bag. Slinging it over her shoulder. "Later." Now that she was done here, Kaya quickly took off. It was pretty clear that certain people were annoyed with her, and it just wasn't worth picking a fight now that she had what she was looking for. She could find somewhere that wasn't populated by stuck-ups.

((Kaya Robinson continued elsewhere))
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

If it wasn’t already, then it was clear by now that Gabriela didn’t appreciate having her reading time interrupted by the search happening around her. Even so, she certainly wasn’t doing anything to improve the situation, for herself or for them, with her half-hearted help or suggestions. Hadn’t Kaya just said that she’d had it at the start of the lunch period? Why was she suggesting the taller girl might have just left it at home?

Since the comments weren’t directed at her, Sarah ignored her and continued walking around her side of the courtyard. A part of her wanted to speak up and say something, maybe point out that Gabriela wasn’t obligated to help if she didn’t want to. It was obvious she didn’t want to be there, so Sarah didn’t get why she hadn’t just walked away.

Not that she could or would say anything of the sort. She would be overstepping some kind of boundary if she did, since it wasn’t her notebook that was lost, and she wasn’t a part of the conversation to begin with. The last thing Sarah wanted was for Gabriela to turn her ire towards her instead, or for Kaya to be angry with her for saying something unnecessary.

Kaya had it handled anyway, even if her tone had enough of an edge that Sarah could tell she was a little annoyed.

Luckily the situation resolved itself before it could get any more tense, another person showing up and handing the notebook over in a rather anti-climactic manner. Not that she expected anything climactic from searching for lost stationary or anything but, nonetheless, she felt a little hung out to dry by the sudden end.

She stood by awkwardly as Kaya said her thanks and left, bereft of purpose and not yet switching tracks back to what she was doing before this happened. She felt like saying something, maybe thanking the boy, Abel she thought his name might be, for finding the notebook, but it felt weird when it wasn’t her stuff he had found. Instead she just stood in silence for a second or three, folding her arms because she didn’t know what else to do with her hands.

Then she remembered there was no reason for her to be here anymore, Abel was probably just passing through and Gabriela probably wanted to get back to her book, and she had wanted to get something from her locker before her next lesson.

Sarah mumbled a quick thank you to Abel, to be polite, before walking briskly in the direction she had been going earlier.

SARAH LILLIAN WHITLOCK CONTINUED IN Close Encounters
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None
Catche Jagger

Post by Catche Jagger »

When Abel, at long last, strode into the courtyard with the blue notebook, Gabriela was visibly relieved, relaxing slightly. She wasn’t the biggest fan of the confident attitude he seemed to exude when delivering their quarry (probably thinking he was some big-shot hero for finding a fucking notebook) but that couldn’t bother her that much.

Gabriela did little to acknowledge Kaya or Sarah as the two departed, simply returning to her bench and hoping to finally get back to her book after that extended and ultimately pointless distraction. She opened up to the point she had left off at…

And then the bell went off, signaling the end of the period.

Her grip on the book tightened as relief turned to resentment and a low noise that sounded a bit like a cough rose up from low in her throat.

She remained sitting on the bench for a moment, not moving at all, mind too consumed by a deep and unabiding frustration to think about going to class. She hadn’t even left off at a good point. She’d have to pick up in the middle of a fucking paragraph next time like a fucking moron.

Gabriela’s gaze shifted towards Abel, feeling somewhere in her gut that he was somehow responsible for her misfortune. But no, she knew that, in fact, it was more Kaya’s fault that anyone else’s and Kaya was already gone.

Saying nothing beyond some unintelligible grumbling to herself, Gabriela quickly packed up her things and left, giving Abel a slight nod as she passed him.

((Gabriela Garcia-Campos continued in TV3))
[+] Characters
[+] PV3 Prologue

[+] TV3

[+] AUs
International

Supers
[+] The Future
Second Chances
Aditi Sharma
Desiree Beck
Jilly