Linear Functional Analysis

(open if you don't mind slipping in a shitton of lube)

A single story edifice sitting in the shadow of the conveyor belt that runs past the southern edge of the town. This is the sole building in town that is directly connected onto the service road between the port and mines. An ancient-looking aerosani sits abandoned nearby, half-covered by a tattered tarp that flutters violently when the wind kicks up. The inside of the shop is still well stocked with shelves of tools and spare parts for vehicles and the island’s infrastructure. The inside of the building is about as cold as the outside; the walls are corrugated sheets, flimsy looking and lacking in insulation.

Moderator: SOTF U Staff

AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by AnimeNerd »

Maud blinked as the sprayer woman spoke, and she quickly realized most of it flew over her head, like the second arrow someone had ever shot with a bow. She thought she got the gist of it, however, and asking for clarification wouldn't hurt anything.

"So...anything acidic that wouldn't destroy your sprayer thing...or something we can set on fire. And it needs to be something that could've lasted out here in the cold."

A finger went to her chin in thought.

"I don't suppose petrol would fit that list, would it? I doubt there are any cars to siphon from, but there had to be something here to keep the place from freezing over.

"...completely, anyway."

Joking aside, it sounded right to Maud. There were only so many trees on one island, and if this place had survived as long as the Soviet Union had, it sounded rather silly to believe they didn't have something to fuel generators for heating.

It had to be here, the only question was where.
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Harper kept spinning her gun, eyes watching it roll along her hand as small bits of conversation were made. Although, she stopped her spinning momentarily once the words acid were uttered and looked at the other two with a somewhat shocked look.

Acid? Is she putting acid in that? What the fuck? There's a level where shit starts to reach supervillain territory, and, sure, it's hard to beat rando's kidnapping people and placing them in the arctic with monsters and shit, but she is putting fucking acid in there.

Is that her plan? Spray the thing with acid and hope for the best? She has to get near it and all that. Now Harper wasn't at whatever level this person was at, but it doesn't seem like the best plan?

Oh, whatever the hell. As long as she doesn't ask her to do something with that, then Harper was fine with it. So when she was given the chance to stay a bit away from whatever science experiment this weirdo was cooking up, she was going to take it.

"I can do that." She said confidently with a smile as she took a few steps away, swinging her gun again. That smile disappeared quickly once she stumbled, and the gun flew out of her hands. She caught herself and tried to reach out for it but slipped this time forward-facing and crashed toward the ground, face hitting the floor.

All this time, in her other hand, was the other gun they had given her. Which was now underneath her as her hands tried to catch her fall.

Her body weight pressed onto her other gun.

Her finger tightened in response.

A shot rang out.

Harper’s jaw slackened, eyes glazed over. Her finger still quenched around the trigger. A hole at the top of her head, pieces of brain matter, and skull fragments toppling out after a few seconds.

All in all, it happened in a matter of a minute.

P019: Harper Gray: deceased
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

"Yeah. Kind of."

It was probably best Rachana do most of the searching herself. Of course, looking over the shelf of bottles and tanks in front of her, she realized it'd be much easier if she could actually read what any of them were.

"I... forgot this was a Soviet base for a second." She sighed. This was gonna make things far more difficult. "Everything's in Cyri-"

A sudden gunshot rang from outside, scattering that thought to the wind. Her initial reaction was to duck, expecting an inevitably hail of gunfire. When it didn't come, she opted to peek out the door...

"Oh..."

It wasn't what she'd feared it was. Somehow, it was much worse.

"Oh no."
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

A smile grew on her face as Sprayer Woman confirmed her idea, and Gunslinger Girl agreed to searching for things. It wasn't much, but it was something, and she'd take the positives whenever she could. Though she couldn't help but regret her past choices, just slightly, when the former sighed at the labeled items. Perhaps she should have tried learning other languages before traveling. She probably wouldn't have learned Russian before this, but it sti-

The gunshot made Maud flinch, then stiffen up quite suddenly. She wasn't sure she had ever heard one go off before, or at least anything so close. Even if she was to expect these kinds of noises on this island, she had at least hoped it would take longer, or it would be further away when she first heard them.

Instead, it was disturbingly close, from the direction she had last heard Gunslinger Girl speak from.

Slowly, Maud's head turned that direction.

Whatever remained of a smile fell from her face as she saw the blood begin to pool and the distance the brain matter had made from the shot.

Sprayer Woman let out a horrified 'Oh no.' Maud, meanwhile, opened her mouth.

Then closed it.

Opened it again.

Closed again.

The fish like behavior continued for a few more moments before Maud turned her head again, looking at Sprayer Woman once more.

There was pretty much only one thing she could think to say.

"I've got to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to react to this."
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Rachana didn't respond. Her eyes were transfixed to the girl outside.

"Oh... oh shit..."

Her handclasped over her mouth. The girl they'd been talking to, brains splattered over the ground. Seeming self-inflicted, but near-certainly not a suicide. She'd slipped on all the gunk Rachana had sprayed everywhere.

She stared wordlessly at her handiwork. A chill far worse than the winter winds crept into her stomach. Not even an hour into this, and she was already a murderer.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
NoLife42069
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by NoLife42069 »

( Heath Redfield running like a mad man from the armory)

While leaving the armory with an ominous message soon after Heath heard a gunshot and like a record scratch he forgot everything he was doing and sprinted straight for where it came from. Heath ran one hand griping his luggage and the other holding his machete. While he knew it was stupid to go TOWARD the gunshot instead of AWAY from it, the thought that he may be able to loot a body was too much to pass up. 'Shit that's morbid...'

He came upon a girl looking horrified at another on the ground. You know just casually had a bit of her brain covering the pavement, not a big deal. While he WAS going to look around to find the shooter he was interrupted by

His feet slipped on something. Then a feeling of free fall. And before he could even understand what was happening, a loud THUNK as his body hit the pavement. The only thing he could get out was a loud "FUCK!"

Not to worry though! Bits of brain matter broke his fall. Didn't stop him from throwing his back out though or from a shard of skull stabing him in the left hand.

And in case you were wondering where the stuff in his hands went?

1. His machete went flying somewhere inside the building.
2. His suitcase/pack went flying in the OPPOSITE direction and after doing three quick spins sent all of his shit flying into the dirt when it slammed into the ground.

Karma works quickly, but Heath didn't know it worked so quickly that he couldn't even do the thing yet!
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Maud couldn't blame Sprayer Woman for her reaction to the sight. Horror was probably the appropriate reaction to this sight-a girl who was walking and talking a minute ago suddenly dead, all because she hadn't watched where she stepped and hadn't practiced proper gun safety. It was nothing less than a tragedy.

Still. Maud just had trouble coming up with words over all of this. It was sad, yes, but also weird. Like, what were the odds of things happening just right to cause Gunslinger Girl's death? That step that caused her to slip, the gun being held just right so that it would go off, the chance of her getting a gun at all with how weird some of their supposed 'weapons' were? All lined up to create the corpse in front of them. A comedy of errors-maybe not that, actually-calling someone's death a comedy seemed rude. Tragedy of errors? Was that a thing? If anyone here was a theatre major, she'd have to ask about that.

Back to Gunslinger Girl. It was sad, it was weird, and it was also just difficult to think about. She'd always imagined death as something big and dramatic, maybe a hint of beauty to it if you could frame it right. There was a story behind every dead Sparrow, after all. Why not for everyone else?

But this was none of that, really. It was sudden. Anticlimactic. No beauty to be found in this. And it felt more like a footnote to the situation, rather than something that meant anything. It made her feel uncomfortable, in a way she wasn't sure how she could describe.

Luckily, someone saved her from having to contemplate these feelings further. The sounds of someone hurrying their direction before a slip, fall, and loud shout.

Then, a flying machete coming into the shop, impacting the ground with a loud CLANG!

Maud tilted her head to the side, looking at the man who had fallen, before she walked towards him, staying mindful of her steps-nowhere that seemed too shiny.

"You might want to watch your step," she said.

Maud then offered the bell end of the clarinet to help someone stand once more in the last...what, ten minutes?

"We don't want anyone else dying like that, don't you think?"
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Rachana had just enough time to duck out of the way of the boy's flung machete. If anything was gonna snap her out of the shock, it'd be a quick brush with death like that.

The girl she was with hurried over to him, offering a helping... clarinet, it seemed. Rachana joined her, but she didn't bother herself with the new arrival. Instead, she looked down at the girl with the guns, her unintended victim.

"Should we... do something for her?"

A weight fell onto her chest. She sniffled a bit.

"Cause it's kinda, like... my fault."
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
NoLife42069

Post by NoLife42069 »

"AAARGGGH FUCKKKKKK!" Not only did his back hurt but his hand hurt as well. Heath let out a primal yell of pain before a second more subdued yell. "AHHhhhh. Shit shit shit fuck ahhh." Heath cupped his left hand to his chest and rolled over to his side while curling up into a ball. "Aaahhhh fuck shit damnit. J-just give me a sec...Fuckkkk" One of the surviving girls offer said something to him but all he could really understand over the pain was "watch your step and anyone else dying like that."

"Y-yeah yeah, your right..." He managed to let out before reaching out to grab the... Clarinet? With his right hand. Though he really wanted to lie down and wait until everything stopped hurting, unfortunately, that just wasn't in the cards.

"T-Thanks. Sorry about that..." Heath said as he got up he looked over for his suitcase and found it open with all of his stuff laid out on the dirt. "Damnit." He muttered to himself.

Then he remembered his weapon after a quick look around he found it NOT inside of a person, so silver lining. Heath looked at his left hand and found a shard of skull stuck in it, which elicited another "Shit." from him. He shuffled over to his pack and pulled out his med kit. Then the girl spoke
"Should we... do something for her?"
Heath pondered on it for a moment before saying "Yes I guess somethings are in order."

Heath pulled out the skull shard with a hiss before pouring some alcohol on the wound and then bandaging it.
"Cause it's kinda, like... my fault."
Now that piqued Heath's interest. "So this one is yours?" He said as he made his way over to the body,

While he wasn't a doctor, it didn't take a medical degree to tell that she was shot. Heath then began searching the body, when he found the two pistols he placed one in his pocket and then slid the other to the girl in the shop. "I would just take both but honor among thieves and all that. So uh, good job on killing someone on accident. I would count this as a kill on your part but it's obvious that she slipped and shot herself, but don't beat yourself up too much about it. These types of pistols are very dangerous to fall on so, yeah don't hate yourself too much." Heath spoke in a calm voice that stood in opposition to the tense situation.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

"Not a problem," Maud said to the Fallen Man, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. It didn't really meet her eyes, though. Felt mean to give a genuine smile when someone just died, after all.

A part of her wanted to comment on his language, but in fairness, if any situation were to call for explicit language, it would probably be their current one.

Once the Fallen Man was standing and began attending to his own issues, her attention focused on Sprayer Woman once more. She had followed Maud out of the shop and was staring at Gunslinger Girl's corpse. The guilt she felt was clear, especially with the words she said, and how she said them.

She walked over to Sprayer Woman, and while she was tempted to fully hug her, she held back. Instead, she went for one of those one-armed side-hugs, the kind where shoulders touch and the hugger's hand was on the huggie's arm or other shoulder.

Her smile was one of kindness and understanding, even after the Fallen Man's rather blunt statements.

"I think that's a great idea."

Gunslinger Girl's death may not be the meaningful event Maud would have expected it to be before, but that didn't mean it had to stay senseless. If fate wouldn't give her dignity in dying, the least they could do for her was give her some dignity in death.

Though, there was one problem to deal with first, and Maud couldn't help her mouth turning into a more neutral line before she spoke again.

"I have to agree with him, though." A nod in the direction of the Fallen Man. "Just a little. Blaming yourself for all of this just seems...silly, really. Sure, you might've sprayed the ground, but you're not the one that told her to walk the way she did. You didn't tell her how to hold those guns, or give them to her in the first place. You weren't the one who placed her near here when she was unconscious. And unless you want to admit something I doubt, you aren't the one behind this whole mess we're all in. And knowing that, I don't think any reasonable person could blame you for the death of..."

...oh, bugger.

"I...just realized. I don't think we ever got her name."
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Rachana glared in irritation at their new guest, though she said nothing to him. He was doing a very good job making a poor first impression, but there was no use bickering over it when they had bigger problems to deal with. Besides, if there was one thing she'd gotten incredibly good at, it was biting her tongue.

She gently broke the other girl's grip, bending down to take the gun that had been shoved her way - it felt a bit wrong, stealing from someone she'd killed, but she wasn't principled or dumb enough to turn down a gun when they were in the middle of this horrorshow. She examined the weapon carefully, uncertain of if this was the gun that'd fired the fatal bullet, and equally uncertain of how she'd open it to check, while the clarinet player grimly noted they didn't know this woman's name.

"... you're right."

Somehow that made it a lot worse. The girl had died due to Rachana, regardless of everyone's insistence to the contrary, and Rachana hadn't even bothered asking her for her name.

"... I'm Rachana, by the way. Rachana Kumar."
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
NoLife42069

Post by NoLife42069 »

"Then her name will be Jane Doe. It's what they call corpses without names." Heath said without looking back at the girls, he was searching the body looking for anything useful.

"Heath Redfield, friends call me 'field field' to fuck with me sometimes. And while I would say nice to meet you, in a vain hope to not lie to someone I just met, it's not." Heath said as he pulled out the girls' phone.

'You're being an asshole.' Heath thought to himself and replied in a whisper "I know."

After taking anything of use out of Jane's pockets, he moved on to her pack and began searching that. "Look on the bright side we will learn her name by tomorrow morning when the announcements go off." Heath let out a quiet laugh devoid of humor before adding "Hell we will find out if they rule her as your kill as well! Wouldn't be nice if they say she shot herself!"

'You're being callous.' Heaths felt his hands shake as he responded the same way. "I know."

Then he got to the "food" the MREs that would full their actions for the next two weeks. When he saw the meals he stopped for a second, the sadistic grin he didn't know he had fallen to a frown. As he took out four and with a moment of hesitation he turned to the girl and slid them over the same way he did the gun. The moment it got out of his reach his whole body tensed as he reached out for it with his right hand. Then he stopped and his body relaxed again.

'And with all of that, you are still weak, and pathetic.' Heath faked a yawn to hide the tears in his eyes before he responded in a clear and calm voice, much louder than he intended. "I know." His hand fell to his side, then quickly covered by his left as his eyes became just a bit more dead, and his frown deepened. "I know I am." He repeated.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Maud did not have much outward reaction to Sprayer Woman (Rachana, apparently) and her reaction to the current events, only her brows furrowing slightly as her arm fell. Making her feel better was going to take a bit more effort, apparently.

A part of her wanted to focus on that, but not only was it time for introductions, but Fallen Man (Heath) decided to continue with his less-than-pleasant attitude, and she couldn't help the corners of her mouth turning down, just slightly.

"Well, I do think it's nice to meet you both, even with the circumstances." Maud said, taking a careful step forward-not too shiny, should be safe. "And my name is Maud. Maud Sparrow."

Another step, though this one to be next to the foot that had stepped forward, before she crouched down. Her down jacket might get something on it, but that was probably not something to be made a big deal about. Wasn't like she couldn't wash it out, at least.

"If you're going to take her things, could you at least check and see if her wallet is on her? We'd know sooner than waiting for anything that way."

She kept her tone a bit more neutral. The words he said were still a little mean, but something about him seemed a little more off. A look in his eyes that seemed sad. A frown that only grew as time passed. His body language, like even he was uncomfortable around himself.

And that wasn't even touching the biggest question on her mind.

"You know you are what?"
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

"Hey."

She put a hand on Maud's shoulder.

"I'm sure he's just stressed or whatever. Folks get a little loopy when shit hits the fan."
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
NoLife42069

Post by NoLife42069 »

Heath didn't mean to say it so loud. Hell, he barely meant to say it at all.

His once sorrowful eyes quickly turned into a primal fear similar to a cornered beast.

Then he felt cold metal in his right hand. The gun, he didn't even fully register what he was doing, and yet he had already started pulling it out.

Heath's eyes stared at the girl's hands. He had an overwhelming desire to look to the ground but knew that that would mean death. He wanted to look them in the eye. To see what they were thinking. But that would require bravery he just wasn't feeling at the moment.

but Heath Redfield was afraid. Heath was afraid ever since he woke up in that room. Heath tried to disillusion himself back at the Armory, but the situation's severity had forced him out of that state. He was terrified the moment he saw Jane's body. But Heath refused to show it. Like sharks in the water, they are attracted to blood.

And Heath refused to let them know he was bleeding...

But then he got hurt, and even now his back was killing him and his left hand stung. So when his body lowered into a slight crouch he winced in pain. But Heath was panicking, so he closed his eyes for a second and took a breath. Heath had already let someone see him bleed, but the girl was equipped with a movie and flares not even slightly a threat. But the girl in front of him was armed with a gun he gave her.

'Don't bring out a gun unless you intend to shoot it.' Heath reminded himself that he would do what he had to. Even so, Heath didn't want to kill these girls.

He slowly slid the pistol back into the pocket and moved his hand away. The panic in his eye's disappeared replaced by a melancholy calm. Heath had freaked out a little there, perhaps it stemmed from being bullied, but there was a time to analyze and a time to act. Plus someone asked him a question, it would be rude not to answer. Heath opened his mouth to speak, "..." But nothing came out. Heath shut his mouth again.

Return to “Machine Shop”