Game On

Nina Clarke's Shipping Container Misadventures!

The storage yard is a maze of old shipping containers of various colors stacked onto each other. The containers are mostly empty now, providing many possible hiding places. They are positioned in a stable fashion, and unlikely to be easily moved, weighing nearly five thousand pounds each.
Espi

Game On

Post by Espi »

Nina Clarke: V5 START

Nina was stuck.

She was in a shipping yard, which seemed harmless enough. A bunch of large colorful blocks, like stacking blocks, were stacked everywhere. There was a maze of pathways networking the yard. From her vantage point on top of a crate, Nina Clarke could see the entire area or at least a lot of it. She stood atop it, gazing stone-faced around, looking for people.

The only thing she couldn't see was the point to this fucking game.

Seriously. This was fucked up. What was the point? There were no considerable monetary benefits, no ransoms were made, no threats were made, no reasons were offered, there was literally no reason to run SOTF besides shits and giggles.

Nina sat on the edge of the crate. She was roughly 20 feet in the air; a fall might cripple her. She needed a way down, but there were no ladders nearby; the one hung on this crate had fallen or been pulled down, as it lay dented at the dirt. She pondered for a minute. Could she simply hop from crate to crate like an action movie, until she found a ladder?

Seemed possible. She wasn't really interested in trying it, but why not? There was another stack about 5 feet across a gap, and there might be a ladder on the other side. She led off by throwing her bag over the edge, seeing it land safely on the other side. A good omen, hopefully.

She backed up slowly from the edge, to give herself a running start. She charged forward with a battle cry/terror scream, and leapt.

She landed face first on the other crate, the jump easily made. Her nose hurt, but she was mostly fine. She pushed up and off the ground and into a sitting position. She needed to calm down now.

Except. She was now pissed, absolutely furious. Why was she here, instead of enjoying her senior trip? Why was she risking her life for no reason? No reason, that's why. Fuck this shit. "Fuck this, whoever's running this, Danya or Greynolds I guess!" She shouted into the air. She took a deep breath, calmed down. She wasn't going to die. People would come, and rescue her and the others. Just a matter of time.

She stood, and crossed the top of the crate briskly. There was indeed a ladder down. She nodded tersely, glad something was going right in this shithole, and climbed down to the deck with her bag hefted over her shoulder. She now was on the ground, which was a relief.

She looked around, trying to see if anyone was nearby. Nope. So, now she'd need to look for a safe place to hide until the rescue came. Because there'd be a rescue again, right? Nina was confident. She walked down the path, in a random direction. In a way, it reminded her of the Maze at the Castle; large and maze-y and nobody was there.

Hopefully she'd meet someone friendly like Sophie this time, if she had a say in it.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

((Madeline Wilcox, V5 Start))

Maddie's head spun as she came to. She opened her eyes tentatively, knowing what she would see, but she tried to deny it all to herself. Telling herself it was all just a dream, that she would wake up and it would all be over.

But it wasn't a dream, and she knew it. She sat up. Denying the events that transpired over what to her seemed like only minutes would get her nowhere. She looked around. Right next to her was a black duffel bag with the inscription G005 in large white block letters. She unzipped it and looked inside. Her eyes scanned over the contents. There was some food, a map, a compass... her eyes stopped when they came to a bright silver box. She took it out of the bag and examined it, noticing there was a small slip of paper taped to the side of the box. She took the paper and read it out loud.

"Silver pill box containing 3 Ambien pills."

Was this supposed to be her weapon? She thought back to that horrible conference. Being restrained to those plastic chairs, looking at the dead body of Mr. Davidge, listening to that awful man speak. She remembered him saying she would get a weapon of some sort. She guessed this small silver box was just that.

"How am I supposed to use this against kids with guns?!" She threw the pill box down onto the ground. It clattered a bit, but remained sealed despite her efforts. She put her head in her hands. Then the realization finally hit her. I am going to die.

She shook, unable to process that thought. It was almost entirely certain she was going to die. She distanced herself from that thought, in her best attempt to remain composed. She sullenly turned back to the duffel bag and continued looking through it. She noticed her backpack was inside it, and pulled it out. It was stripped of almost all of it's contents. All of her technology, her laptop, even her paper and writing utensils. The only things left inside were the clothes she packed and the small amount of spironolactone and estrace she packed for the overnight trip. She took a few of the pills out of their bottles and took them. Left for dead or not, she would be damned if she stopped taking them.

She placed the pill bottles back in her backpack and tossed it to the ground. She looked once more inside the duffel bag, and pulled out the first aid kit located within. She opened it and looked inside. Medical supplies, tons of them, only half of which she knew anything on how to use. She closed the first aid kit and placed it back inside the bag.

She turned back to the little silver pill box. She picked it up. Despite her best efforts, her thoughts returned to the game, to how everything was going to play out. She was going to die, and even if she somehow lived, she would have to live with the fact that all of her friends and all of the people she has met around Aurora, will be dead. She clutched the silver pill box, hands shaking. A single tear streamed down her face.

Come on Madeline. Get a hold of yourself. This is no time to start getting emotional.

This was the best time to start getting emotional. She threw the pill box to the ground and began sobbing into her hands. After a few moments, she regained her composure. If anyone was watching, she couldn't let another person see her as weak, to think of her as an easy kill. As far as Maddie was concerned, she WAS an easy kill.

She calmed down. Not if I have my say.

She began thinking. Planning. If she wants to live, she has to come up with a plan. She needed rules, rules of survival. She needed to use what little she knew about this sick game in the past to her advantage.

Rule One: Don't trust anyone. She saw the video, of the girl killing her best friend, she didn't want to end up like that, the killer or the killed.

Rule Two: Kill only as a last resort. Having someone's friends hunt her down wanting her blood didn't sound too appealing to her.

Rule Three: Do not do anything that could lead to your immediate demise. This was probably to most important rule, she told herself. The one she needs to follow above all others.

Rule Four: If the chance to escape presents itself, take it, unless it violates rule three. Although after that big escape attempt in V4 that was all over the news, she doubts that the terrorists will let any escape attempt work this time around, she has to keep her options open. It was possible, however slim.

Rule Five: Keep track of those who have killed. Keeping track of the people who are killers could keep her away from those she should trust the least of all. If she can do this, she can keep away from big killers just by asking a simple what is your name?

She made a mental note of the rules she just came up with. Now, to get an actual weapon. She took off her fedora and placed the pill box inside of it, then quickly put the fedora back on and made sure it was on tight. She placed everything she took out of the duffel bag back inside and zipped it up. She slung it over her shoulder, and finally took a good look at her surroundings.

She was in a shipyard of some kind, surrounded on all sides by large, imposing crates. She walked around a bit. She figured if she managed to find a few rocks, sticks, and grass that she could cobble up a makeshift weapon of some kind. But there was none of those things anywhere around here. Or at least, that she saw. She sighed,  she began walking between the crates, continuing to think about what she will do. She began to turn a corner around a crate when she saw a person just off in the distance.
THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU. READ ABOUT THEM AND PREPARE YOURSELF.
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson
Pregame: -#->
Memory: -#-#->
Prom: -#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-|

Richard Smith
Memory: ->
V7: -#-#-#-#-|

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
Pregame: -#-#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-|
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:
G013: Penelope Fitzgerald
G046: Isabel Ramirez

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Image G005: Madeline Wilcox
Image G030: Sara Corlett
Espi

Post by Espi »

Nina saw a girl, a distance away.

"Hey, you!" She shouted, walking towards her. Nina became distinctly aware that she was unarmed, but she didn't really care. She wasn't going to get killed so easily, and she knew how to avoid danger. Besides, this girl, on closer inspection, was Maddie Wilcox, who had always seemed like a wallflower to Nina. Not one to be afraid of.

"Maddie, right?" She called out as she came within 10 feet of her. Atop the crate, it'd been quite warm, but it was cooler down here in the shade of the walls of crates. Nina was glad she was dressed somewhat warm. She waved to the girl. "I'm not gonna hurt you as long as you return the favor, kay!" She walked closer. Maddie appeared to have been crying, which was a pity.

Nina wasn't sure why she hadn't broken down in tears. She was more angry than despairing. She'd spent so much time working and being a good person, and she gets repaid with the threat of painful death? Fuck Danya, fuck Greynolds, fuck all these terrorists and their stupid ideas.

"You okay, girl?" Maddie was a bit taller than Nina, as were most people, but she seemed to slouch, while Nina stood up straight. "Don't worry, I'm not a psycho or anything." In truth, Nina was glad to have safe company. Maddie would be someone she could take care of, a last good act on earth maybe. Maddie could be a ward of sorts?

Nina was getting ahead of herself. She needed to focus on the now, and the now was this conversation.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

The person noticed her.

Maddie panicked a little when the person shouted a greeting and began approaching her. Maddie tensed up. Was this person going to attack her? As the person got closer to her, Maddie could make out that it was Nina Clarke. Nina and Maddie had a class together, but Maddie never quite talked to Nina before in Aurora, besides basic greetings and other pleasantries. She began to go over what she knew about Nina from observations.

From what she had heard around school and from Nina's general behavior in the class they share, Maddie knew that Nina has a strong honor code and has a tendency to be very righteous. Even if she is armed, she wouldn't dare try to hurt Maddie unless Maddie decided to hurt her.

Rule One: Don't trust anyone.

But that doesn't mean Maddie is going to trust her with her life.

As Nina came with ten feet or so of her, Maddie relaxed her posture in her best attempt to look non-threatening. Nina asked her if Maddie was her name. "Yes, that is me." Nina continued on to say that she wouldn't hurt Maddie provided Maddie returned the favor. "That's fine. I didn't plan on hurting anyone, especially since I lack a weapon with which to hurt anyone."

Nina asked if she was okay. Maddie looked down, staying silent. Nina went on to explain that she isn't a psycho and to not worry. "I didn't think you were a psycho. But okay is a bit subjective. I don't think anyone on this island except those goddamn terrorists is okay." She paused and looked back up at Nina. "It's nice to know that I have met someone friendly so early though."

Perhaps I can gain this girl's trust if I tell her my rules for survival. Make her think that I trust her completely.

"I actually had a plan on what to do, at least for the moment." She began walking past Nina. "If you want to hear it, come walk with me."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Espi

Post by Espi »

Oh, good. Maddie had always seemed like a brainy girl, and Nina was glad that she might have a plan. Maybe she could figure out the collar mechanisms or something? All Nina knew was that they were metal and hard and uncomfortable. And explosive.

"Oh, good. What's the plan?" Nina smiled, offering her hand out. "If you want, we can work together and I'll keep you safe." Nina's idea was simple; do one single good thing on this island. Keep as many good, innocent teens alive as long as she could. Fuck over those terrorists if possible.

"How about it, partners?" Nina looked up at Maddie.

She would probably be more authoritative if she wasn't so short.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

((Minor GM'ing Approved))

Maddie stopped and turned to Nina. "Sure. Partners."

Maddie began walking again with Nina following close behind. As they walked, Maddie made sure to keep an eye out for anything she could make a cobbled together weapon out of. "So, basically, I have a plan of survival. It's just a few simple rules to follow." She began to list off the rules she made.

She held up one finger. "Okay, so first, Rule One: Don't trust anyone. People on this island change, as shown in that video, and even your best friend could potentially betray you."

She noticed a long, decently thick branch sitting out in the open. She walked over, picked it up and tried bending it to test its strength. When it didn't snap, she was satisfied. She resumed walking, using the stick as a cane of sorts. She held up two fingers. "Rule Two: Kill only as a last resort. Basically, only kill someone in self defense. Killing people doesn't make you any allies, only enemies." She then held up three fingers. "Rule Three: Do not do anything that could lead to your immediate demise. This one is obvious, just don't do anything stupid."

She saw a small pile of rocks near one of the crates, walking over to it, she carefully selecting the two best medium sized rocks she could find. She put them away inside of her bag and resumed walking. She started to announce rule four, but stopped herself. She didn't want the terrorists listening in and deciding to kill her for thinking about an escape attempt. She held up four fingers. "Rule Four: Keep track of those who have killed. Essentially, make sure to know who are the big killers so that way just asking someone's name will let you know if they can be trusted more or trusted less."

They arrived near the edge of the shipyard. Maddie scanned the area, seeing a small patch of tall grass. "Bingo!" She said, loudly. She ran over to the grass patch and began pulling up tufts of grass and placing them next to her. "Now, you are probably wondering at this point why I have collected all these random things. The stick, the rocks, the grass, it's so I can make a makeshift spear." She took the grass tufts in her hands and began spinning the grass blades together into small, thin, makeshift ropes.

"I don't have a weapon after all, so I need something to defend myself with." She laughed, trying to hide the fact that the thought of being killed by or killing her fellow students made her sick to her stomach. Her tone darkened. "I just hope I won't have to use it."

It was at this point that Maddie realized she was hungry. Really hungry. Almost as if she hadn't eaten in days. For all she knew, that could easily be the case. She opened her pack and pulled out one of the power bars she saw in there earlier. "1500 calories eh? This will probably do the trick." She ate the power bar within a minute, gobbling it down faster than she has ever eaten anything before. She knew the hunger relieving effects wouldn't be immediate, but she was already feeling a bit less hungry. The bar left a rather dry taste in her mouth, so she took out one of the water bottles in the pack and drank some of it.

She continued. "Anyway, all you have to do to make a decent makeshift spear is knap a rock into a nice point and tie it to a good stick using bits of grass." She took the rocks out and began sharpening one with the other. "My dad taught me how to do this when I was younger, in case I ever found myself in the wilderness alone." She paused and looked at the ground. "I really wish I never had to use this information."

She resumed knapping the rocks. "So, anything you wanted to ask of me?"
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Espi

Post by Espi »

Nina was thinking intently as she walked with the other girl. Oh, of course she was listening, but she was focusing on the meaning. Clearly, Maddie had a plan, and clearly she was playing to win. Nina realized a few things as the pair wandered the shadowy labyrinth.

Maddie may not trust Nina.

Maddie had no weapon, or at least one she didn't want to reveal.

Nina didn't know what her weapon was.

And now Maddie was talking to her. Nina had just watched her eat a bar and drink some water. Nina had good endurance, so she wasn't really starving yet; she decided to try and ration her food, save it for later when others were hungry so she'd have an upper hand.

"Oh, uh, question; what is your weapon?" She asked. "I haven't checked mine yet. Oh, hold on a sec!" She dropped her bag, and knelt by it. Pulling it open and digging through it, she found food, water, other crap...

What the fuck was this?

Nina pulled her pistol dagger out of the bag. "Huh." It resembled a hilted dagger of some kind, but along the edge of the hilt was the barrel of an old gun. "This is weird." Nina turned it around in her hands, looking it over. It had no magazine clips, and there was a small satchel attached containing a number of small musket balls.

This was not the kind of gun Nina was used to.

The girl looked over to Maddie. "So yeah, weird gunblade thing ahoy." She held it up for the other girl to see. "What do you make of it? I think it's muzzle-loaded, and it's weighted shitty with the knife part. Not a great gun or knife." Still, it was better than whatever the hell Maddie was making with that stick and shit.

Nina tried to push down the pride she held at having a good weapon. She knew there was a variety of weapons, including vibrators and similar stuff. To get a gun, even a shitty one, was a minor blessing. Nina hoped she could use it to protect the pair properly.

"So yeah, you've got a good plan. Any ideas for what to do next?"
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Maddie paused from knapping the rocks. "You want to know what my weapon was?" Maddie pulled off her hat and reached in for the silver box. "I got-" She stopped when she looked up and saw Nina holding her weapon.

"What... is that?" Nina seemed to be just as perplexed as Maddie was. It looked like a small dagger, but it had the barrel of a gun attached to it near the edge of the hilt. Nina commented that it seemed to be neither a good gun or a good knife. "Certainly doesn't look like it from my angle. But, at least it is something. Certainly better than what I got." She pulled the silver box out of her hat and placed it on the ground. "All I got was a few sleeping pills in a silver box."

She resumed knapping the rocks together. "It's only really good for putting myself into a deep sleep and letting someone else kill me." Or potentially putting someone else to sleep, but, Maddie kept that little tidbit to herself.

"As for what to do after this, I don't know." She finished knapping the rocks and examined the one she tried to get to a point. "It's not flint, so I wasn't expecting it to be too sharp." She pressed her finger to the point. "But, if you put enough force behind it, it should be able to do some decent damage."

She grabbed the stick and small grass ropes. "Now to just complete it." She carefully tied the the rock to the end of the stick using the grass ropes and made sure it was secure, then stood up to examine her work. "This thing is pretty shitty to be honest. You could definitely tell it was just cobbled together just from a glance." The spear looked, simply put, like a sharp rock secured to a long stick, which is exactly what it was. "It's still better as a weapon of self defense than sleeping pills though, that's for sure."

She swung the spear around and stabbed the air with it. "At least it's stable and secure. If only relatively." She turned back to Nina. "As for figuring out what to do next..." Maddie pondered for a moment. "We could try finding the people we care about, our friends and such. Do you have anyone you would like to look for in particular?"
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Espi

Post by Espi »

"Hmm." Sleeping pills? Nina wasn't sure what to make of that. They seemed worthless to Nina, as well. No wonder Maddie wanted a spear, even one as shoddily made as this. Nina wasn't sure if it was even remotely useful, but Maddie seemed to think so. Hopefully she was correct.

"People to look for?" Nina...as she thought of it, she became more aware that most of her friends were on this hellhole. Owen, Emily, Meera and Francis were all here. But, what would she do when she found them? Watch them die? She might be able to protect them, but...the video, the fucking video with the two girls, best friends, and one murdered the other.

"I'm fine. I think it's more important to find a safe place." Nina crouched to her bag, averting her eyes from Maddie to avoid her gaze. Digging through it again, she looked through the map. She studied it over. "I think we're in the shipping yard somewhere, judging from the crates and stuff. That means it'd be easiest to get to..."

She thought over which area was nearby, and tried to decide what'd be safest. "We could probably hide out in the aviary? I don't know. What do you think?" She looked up at Maddie. Maddie was smart; she'd probably have a good idea of where was safe or easily defended. That was probably top priority.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Nina didn't seem to want to look for any of her friends. She said it was probably more important to find a safe place to hide out. "Yeah, I agree that finding a safe place to hide out would probably be the best way to go about all of this." Maddie saw Nina pull out the map she had, and Maddie did the same with hers. As this was the first time that Maddie had actually examined the map up close, she studied it and memorized the various locations imprinted on it.

The nearest areas are the Eastern Inlet, the Aviary, and the Hospital. She heard Nina comment as she stared at the map that the best place to hide out would probably be the aviary. Maddie silently took a moment to look over each of the nearby areas. "I disagree about the aviary. I think this Eastern inlet, which is also closer, would probably have a ton of buildings that we could scavenge from or hide out in, while an aviary would probably only have a bunch of large cages for birds and not much in them."

Maddie packed up her things that she left out and zipped her bag closed. She hoisted it up and swung the strap over her shoulder. Picking up her spear, she turned back to Nina. "If this all sounds good to you, then we can go ahead and start heading there now."

Maddie quickly turned away from Nina and began walking in the direction of the inlet, quietly keeping what she was really planning for the two of them to herself.

((Madeline Wilcox continued in A Trust Exercise))
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Espi

Post by Espi »

Nina liked Maddie's idea; the inlet seemed like it might provide lots of hiding places. It was probably full of stores and shops and stuff, and worst-case scenario they could always return here. She knew there were "Danger Zones" in SOTF, which might well end up appearing in the inlet. They'd probably have to leave, so hopefully that wouldn't happen for some time.

"Coming, Maddie!" Nina called as Maddie began to walk away. Nina hefted her back and chased the other girl. Nina considered her companion; they'd never been particularly close, and probably never even talked. Hell, Nina wasn't sure Maddie and her had ever talked with each other! Still, Nina thought that Maddie seemed nice enough. That was good for her, but also bad.

Nina knew she was going to die. It was a fact. Unless she made it to the end somehow, she had no chance. She wasn't about to kill someone; murder was a horrid thing, a selfish and twisted act of theft of the most important thing one can own. Nina would not kill an innocent, that much was true. If she was to have to kill, it'd be in self-defense only, like Maddie's rule. Revenge...maybe, if they'd killed someone, but that wasn't a very good thing to do. What would her mom say?

She'd want Nina to live, right?

Or would she want her daughter to do the right thing?

Nina was conflicted now. Was it better to stay alive guilty, or die innocent? What if she won, but she'd killed 5 people and 2 were innocent? Would it be worth it? Would she have the right to keep living at that point? What was the point of living if you were bound by regret? Nina was stumped. That was the point of this game, maybe. To make people think about this kind of thing, and to make a decision.

As Nina walked, she realized it was already working.

[[Nina Clarke's story continues in A Trust Exercise]]

Return to “Storage Yard”