Prepare to be Boarded

The air traffic control tower stands tall over the rest of the airfield. Having mostly withstood the test of time, it is still in great condition and fully accessible, though the broadcasting equipment has been removed and the building has no power source.
VoltTurtle

Prepare to be Boarded

Post by VoltTurtle »

((Sara Corlett continued from Avast, ye hearties!))

Sara held her bag close as she scouted ahead in the airstrip that the pirates had arrived at shortly after leaving the freighter. It was a shame that it had to become a danger zone; it was getting sorta cozy and safe on the ship. The second day on the island was mostly a blur for her; she remembered struggling to keep a level head when the announcement came on and scouring the inside of the ship with Sean and Aria, but other than that the day was mostly just doing some other menial tasks like getting water for the purifier. She was quite scared when she found out the ship was a danger zone after being awoken by the captain, but they all managed to stay calm enough and got out of it.

She looked up at the air traffic control tower that was in front of her. It was the most telling bit of scenery that was out here, the only other significant things on the airstrip being the terminal and the hangar, but she wasn't really in the mood to investigate two buildings that would probably just turn out to be really big and really empty. She opened the door leading inside the tower and turned in the general direction of the other pirates. She shouted "Hey guys! This place looks like a decent place to stay for the day! Come on over!"

She walked inside the building and began climbing the steps, taking note of the rather generic layout of the building. Arriving at the top of the steps to the actual control part of the air traffic control tower, she looked around. The place was gutted of all electronics, and it looked very barren and empty because of it. Sara sat down next to the wall and opened her bag. She pulled out a tin of crackers and began munching on them, savoring them as she went. It felt like she hadn't eaten in days, but that was probably because she had only been eating foul high energy bars so far and nothing else.

Still, it's good to savor small mercies. Small mercies are the only things they had anymore. Sara sighed. It was terrible that she and her fellow students were in this situation; none of them deserved this. Nobody deserved this. But she wasn't about to ask why it happened to them, out of all the schools in the country, no, she was more likely to ask, why not them? The terrorists were going to kidnap a school, whether it be their school or not, so she was honestly glad that she was in this situation, since it meant someone else wasn't. Would she rather no one got kidnapped? Of course, but it happened, and she might as well cling to the few positive things that can be pulled out of it.

Sara sighed again and continued chewing on her crackers while she waited for Sean and Aria to come up.
THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU. READ ABOUT THEM AND PREPARE YOURSELF.
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson
Pregame: -#->
Memory: -#-#->
Prom: -#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-|

Richard Smith
Memory: ->
V7: -#-#-#-#-|

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
Pregame: -#-#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-|
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:
G013: Penelope Fitzgerald
G046: Isabel Ramirez

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Image G005: Madeline Wilcox
Image G030: Sara Corlett
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

((Sean Mulcahy continued from Avast, ye Hearties!))

It was times like this that Sean's super active lifestyle paid off, briskly running up the stairs without being so much as out of breath. Sean, along with Aria, had just finished scouting the lower part of the flight control tower. He wished he didn't have so many other things of interest on his plate, because aviation was one of the things that Sean had always wanted to dabble in. The only real shame was that flying wasn't something one could just 'dabble' in if they wanted a reliable chance of staying alive.

It seemed that the tower had been stripped of just about anything valuable or useful, anyway. Made sense; these things were liable to have tons of radio equipment and people would, no doubt, attempt to use it to try and contact the outside world. Sean probably wouldn't have used it for more than pretending to play air traffic control, he admitted to himself. He did a quick run-and-look around the top of the tower to confirm that it had also been stripped of all its goodies before turning to Sara.

"Swabbie Aria should be riiiiiiight up," Sean said, dropping his bag and jogging in place to contain his seemingly boundless energy. "See any goodies up here yet? Because I sure as heck don't."
jimmydalad

Post by jimmydalad »

((Aria Samuels continued from Avast, ye Hearties!))

Of course the ship became a danger zone. The terrorists couldn't just let them stay there and have their little piratey fun, could they? Nope, instead they had to walk around the island searching in vain for a place to live. Great. It wasn't like Aria didn't want to stay there. It wasn't like the ship was probably one of the ONLY safe havens on the island. Nope, screw that. We're going to make your lives miserable say the organizers. Thanks a lot.

Aria couldn't help but grumble as more time was spent walking and doing general exercise, which didn't mesh well with Aria. He was no sportsperson, so within a few minutes of walking, he was already feeling winded. There were times when he wished that he did more physical exercise, and this was most definitely one of those times. But, as he thought about it, he realized he wouldn't be in this situation if it weren't for the people who fucking put him here in the first place, so he just went back to ruing his luck at the situation he got himself into.

Luckily enough for him, Sara had found a place for them to stay. However, it involved climbing. Standing at the bottom for a moment, Aria let out a heavy sigh. He wasn't built for this. He shouldn't be forced to do this. Yet he had to, and he couldn't show this much disgruntlement in front of the others. No one likes a complainer. Therefore, in order to combat this, Aria started swearing to himself silently as he went up, trying to make sure Sean and Sara didn't hear. Aria didn't want to risk anything. Especially in the place they were now. All it took was one push and then boom, dead.

Aria heard Sean mentioning his name and as soon as he reached the top, Aria let out a huge sigh of relief and sat on the floor against one of the walls. He felt like he was climbing the Tower of Babel trying to get to the top. While it did serve as a nice vantage point over the island, Aria's mind was buzzing as he surveyed the surroundings. Just from sitting down, he could already notice two ways someone could accidentally die here. Both involved very unpleasant falls which he didn't even want to think about for the moment. He probably should be careful.

"To be honest, I don't care if there aren't any goodies. I just want a place to stay where I don't have to risk getting my collar blown or killed." Aria responded cynically to Sean's question. It did come off as rude and he didn't even think about what he was saying. He was tired and it was at this point where his filter was starting to become less efficient and lax. He was also losing the fake stutter due to his exhaustion at having to put it on all the time. It wasn't like he could help it, it was just the way he is. He knew it was a mistake though and he looked sheepishly away, trying not to betray his face to his shippmates. He didn't want to see their reactions.
[+] Version 7
Relationship Thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36632799/1/

Lukas Nielson - "Yes, Tina Dominica is my mom. No, my life isn't as interesting as you think it is." - Profile

Pregame: o -> o -> o -> o
Memories: o

Millicent "Milly" Rosenberg - "As much as I hate them, at least they make my life interesting." - Profile

Pregame: o -> o

Christine Summers - "Hey, let's just chill and enjoy each other, ok?" - Profile

Pregame: o
[+] Artsy Stuff by Other People
[+] Aria Samuels by Un-Persona
Here
[+] Lukas Nielson by Mimi
Here
[+] Lukas Nielson by Kotorikun
Here
[+] Milly Rosenberg by Mimi
Here
[+] Cursed Milly Rosenberg by Mimi
Here
[+] Gremlin Christine by Kotori
Here
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

((Original post by TurtleTyrant))

Sara looked up to see Sean standing above her, with Aria arriving behind him shortly afterwards. They had both said something about goodies, but she wasn't paying much attention to what they said. She continued to absentmindedly munch on her energy bar in silence, eventually sticking the whole thing in her mouth just to get eating it over with as quickly as possible. As she finished it, she looked up to Sean and Aria.

Sara wasn't exactly sure what they were going to be doing out here. She just sorta knew they had to find a safe place to stay while they wait for the ship to not be a danger zone. She figured that they might try and find useful things while they are out here, or perhaps try and recruit trustworthy individuals into the crew, or maybe even find a way to escape and help get everyone out. The last idea was highly unlikely though, she thought, there's no hope of getting out of this place. She sighed and just decided to ask Sean what exactly they are doing out here, to clear up any befuddlement she had obtained.

"Okay, so, just to be clear, the plan is to just wait out here until the freighter isn't a danger zone, right?" She paused to ruffle through her bag and pull out a bit of bread. "Or are there other things that we are going to end up doing?" She bit into the bread and swallowed. "Like, searching for anything useful that we could potentially get our hands on?" She took another bite of the bread and spoke. "I mean, I'm not really good at this whole planning thing, so I figured you had a plan for our day's proceeds, Sean." She swallowed. "So um... yeah... what are your orders captain?"
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

If it was the mark of a good leader to recognize dents in the morale of a crew, then Sean liked to think of himself as a good leader. Aria was getting a little bit snippy of him... which come to think of it, was something of an odd shift given how annoyingly timid the guy always seemed. Stress could change a man, though, and that was something to remember. It was why Sean was sure to simmer himself down, take a couple breaths (normal, subtle ones. Nothing deep that made it obvious the captain needed to regain his composure) and mull over the situation a moment before responding.

Orders? He could give them orders. He was still the captain of this merry crew, and they weren't faltering this early into their stay. Why, they'd hardly been here three days! How long was a tough pirate expected to last when moored on a deserted island? Surely they could last just as long as he.

"Of course, our primary directive..." Sean beamed when he said those words. 'Primary directive'. Real professional sounding; it was nothing a salty swashbuckler would savagely scream, but they were leadership words nonetheless. ".. Is shelter of some sort, which we get in this tower! Yes, we'll wait it out here until we can return to the ship, where the rest of our supplies n' accommodations are."

Man, 'accommodations'. He was on a roll with the big words that made it sound like he had everything in gear, when Sean honestly was making things up as he went along. If he had his way, he would curl up in a corner somewhere and sob out the tensions that he could feel building, suppressed and hidden by a desire to lead others to safety, success, victory. He couldn't be some stupid, scared child. If he let on just weak he honestly felt, then who would the others have to turn to? As long as he kept talking, as long as he had a crew, he felt as big as Blackbeard.

"I was hoping to find something of use while we were here. Y'know, really make something of our scavenging trip. So, y'know, let's all feel free to look around. But if you want to head outside or if you see anybody, let us all know, alright? Them's captain's orders."
jimmydalad

Post by jimmydalad »

Aria spent his time regaining his breath, listening to the others talk and not saying anything in response. The game was really starting to stress him out and he knew that this was a bad thing. When he was stressed, he knew he was less than pleasant to be around and that was the problem. He couldn't be rude or unpleasant with any of them if he wanted to stay alive and not be alone. He had to hold his anger in and just go with the flow.

It sucked that the pirate ship was a danger zone. It really did. However, Aria had to tell himself that there was nothing he could do about it. All he could do was just go with the flow and listen to what the captain had to say. The piratey aspects were odd, but he was getting used to it. Sean turned out to be quite the competent leader, which made Aria feel pleasantly surprised. He felt comfortable going with the flow and thus, didn't want to upset the group dynamic.

Then he mentioned looking for supplies. Climbing to the top of the tower took a lot of effort and right now, he didn't really feel like moving. He just wanted to recuperate and relax. Take some time to take a break and just not worry about surviving or making sure that everyone else didn't try to kill them. He just wanted a break. At the same time though, he realized he couldn't do that. He hated the thought of having to move again, but there was nothing he could do to not follow orders. They had to survive and if they found stuff here, it will come in handy later.

"Aye aye Captain." Aria responded despondently, standing up and looking around the top of the tower. He took a moment to look at the view, then he let out a sigh. Making sure that he didn't fall to his death, Aria searched the area around them for any sign of things that they could scavenge. He then thought of something.

"Hey Captain, would you mind if I just stay up here as lookout? You know, make sure our things aren't stolen and whatnot. That way, if you or Sara do want to leave, you don't have to worry about your things being stolen and it would be safer since the two people can look out for each other. You ok with that?" Aria asked his captain. He saw no point in keeping up the stuttering facade any more. It really was not important. Not when the danger of death loomed over every corner everyday.
[+] Version 7

Lukas Nielson - "Yes, Tina Dominica is my mom. No, my life isn't as interesting as you think it is." - Profile

Millicent "Milly" Rosenberg - "As much as I hate them, at least they make my life interesting." - Profile

Here
Here
Here
Here
Here
Here
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

"Aye aye Captain!" Sara said, almost in unison with Aria, although she had said it with much more energy. Work was work, but it kept her cheerful, or at least as cheerful as she could be in this situation. "I'm gonna head down to the bottom and look around there a bit, you two stay up here." She walked through the door and down the stairs of the tower. She figured they would likely find more stuff down at the base of the tower rather than in the heavily gutted top. The bottom floor of the building, below the actual tower part, appeared to be gutted just the same as the rest of the building. There were desks in a few areas, but they were barren, having nothing that she would expect to be on them like computers or paper or writing utensils.

She looked all over, finding some scraps of food wrappers and a coin or two here and there, but left them behind because she deemed them useless. Otherwise, she found nothing. She sighed. Figures that the terrorists would make sure the kids couldn't get a hold on anything useful. After looking around a bit more to only find more barren desks she gave up and went back up to the top floor of the tower. "Well I found nothing of note. A few coins here and there, but otherwise, nothing."

She sat down. "I guess I am not really surprised though, they probably wouldn't let anything useful just be left lying around." She looked up at the ceiling. "I'm surprised I found the porthole that we left on the ship, in hindsight." She sighed and pulled out the survival manual. "I would recommend you guys take a look down there, my eyesight isn't very good so you guys may find something I missed, but I guess for right now I will just stay here and read over this again and again."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Sean stared at the dagger sunken into Aria's chest.

How they got there was currently a blur. He had gone down to take a quick look around, found nothing, and returned to the tower to wait out the day with his crew. After morning came and gave them the scare of a lifetime, the enigmatic announcements revealed that they could return to his beloved ship. Sean gave the order to disembark and head in that general direction, but Aria disobeyed him.

There was a push, and another push, and then the katar punctured Aria's chest, just below his left collarbone. That's where they both stood now. Once the realization of the matter sunk in, Sean quickly pulled his arm back and loosed the blade. Blood immediately started dripping out onto the floor, and there was a lot of it. The blade was coated- much more than he remembered in swashbuckling movies when a guy was chopped with a cutlass. The blade looked to have been given a fresh coat of red.

Sean tore his eyes off the blade hanging from his limp arm to look at his former crewman. He wasn't faring too well. He thought maybe he should say something; an apology seemed the obvious thing to do. If he had meant anything aggressive, it surely wasn't THIS aggressive. A push, that's all it was supposed to be. He had just forgotten he was still holding the katar.

He just forgot. He just forgot.
jimmydalad

Post by jimmydalad »

Aria's eyes had opened wide, trying to comprehend the events that had occurred. Nothing eventful happened the day before, so they just slept in the tower. As the day wore on, he started to get more and more paranoid, worrying about their fates in the game and the fact that it felt like they weren't doing anything. What didn't help was the announcements the next day. He got a rude awakening to a beeping collar and for a moment, he truly thought he was going to die.

Then nothing happened. The death count rose and all the while, Aria started to realize the gravity of the situation. People were dying, yet here they were, playing pirate and acting as if the world around them didn't exist. At first, he thought he could do that. Play along with Sean's game. Just drift on by and hope the game would forget them or something.

At this point though, he couldn't and he started to frustrated. Why didn't they do anything to protect themselves? Why couldn't they take precautionary procedures to make sure that they didn't get killed by some fucking psychopath. The approach to the game that had been taken felt wrong, like they were cheating and he knew it would catch up to them.

When Sean made the order to go back to the ship, he snapped. He yelled and screamed and cried. Complained about the way they were "playing" the game and that where they were now was much better than the stupid ship owing to how difficult it was to get there in the first place. He yelled at Sean's inadequacy as a leader and insisted that he wasn't taking people's deaths seriously and that he needed to step out and stop playing pirate. He then pushed him.

Sean pushed back. He felt the blade pierce his skin and into his body. His eyes opened wide with shock and a feeling of dread washed over him. Aria started to panic. He let out a terrified scream as Sean pulled the blade out of his body and his hands immediately moved to the gaping hole in his body in the vain attempt to cover the wound and prevent the blood from spilling out.

It didn't work though and he could feel it soak his clothes and get all over his hands. His fearful eyes shifted rapidly between his wound, Sean and Sara as he tried to think about how he could survive. Yet he knew there was nothing he could do. He still tried his best to cover the wound, but as time passed, he could feel his consciousness slipping. When the feeling was starting to get overwhelming, he sunk onto his knees and looked up at his "captain".

"I-I'm sorry..." Was all he could meekly let out before he sunk to the floor. His hands fell away from the wound and blood started to seep out of the hole, covering the area in front of his body with a deep shade of crimson.

ARIA SAMUELS: DECEASED
[+] Version 7

Here
Here
Here
Here
Here
Here
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Sara screamed.

Sean had just stabbed Aria.

There had been a push, and just as Sara stood up to break up the potential conflict, there was a push back. And that push had haphazardly skewered Aria.

She moved to try and help Aria but it was too late. Just as she got to him he was on the ground and muttering something before he stopped moving. She sat crouched over Aria's body for several moments with Sean nearby. Aria was dead, just like that. Certainly it was an accident. Right?

Sara couldn't move, it was almost like she was rooted to the spot. Aria was here and gone in what seemed like a blink of an eye. "What... just... happened?" She said, meekly, to no one in particular. Sara had to put all of her effort into not panicking. Someone just died in front of her, and there was nothing she could do about it.

It was an accident. She told herself, to keep from panicking. It was an accident, and they all needed to just calm down and figure out what just happened. Aria's death was just an accident and they should mourn his loss. But she couldn't bring herself to do anything, she just kept sitting there.

She kept sitting there, for what seemed like an eternity.
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

What had just happened?

The scene that was unfolding in front of him at this very moment was not terribly different from the cold and cruel tales depicted in many a tale of Blackbeard or L'Ollonais. Crew members, they sometimes could get a little rowdy, and terrible things could happen. Terrible accidents, even deaths.

Sometimes at the hands of their captain.

What did it mean to be a captain? It was a question that rattled Sean's brain at that very moment, and in his fear and confusion he could only do the best he could to quell it while Sara shook just as hard as he. Their crewman, Aria, was dead, and the events leading up to such a death were a blur. His eyes fell away from the half-open eyes of the dead boy, drifting to the blood seeping off of the blade of the katar.

Sean felt his fingers slacken on the weapon, then immediately tighten. This was no time for weakness. The grieving could come later. Stone up, Captain Mulcahy, and take responsibility for the course ahead. Your crew is still a positive number, and they are looking up to you.

"A-an ac.... an ac-c..." Sean cleared his throat, clenched his teeth, looked away... then looked back. "It be..." He started, his voice firm.... but soft in volume. "It be a... hazard of the sea, first mate Corlett." He took a step back, then slowly lowered to one knee. "I hope you don't blame me for it. But we have no time right now."
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Sara heard Sean stutter as she sat there. He was just as shocked as she was, no doubt about it. He said it was a hazard of the sea. They weren't at sea right now. He said he hoped that she doesn't blame him for it. Did she? She wasn't sure. Sean's voice suggested it was an accident, like he didn't mean anything, but she couldn't shake the feeling that this was the start of something she didn't want to be a part of. And no time? They had plenty of time. Every day on this island felt like weeks.

Sara stood up slowly. She couldn't show her weakness, her apprehension now. If this really was the start of something dark for Sean, she needed to show strength and loyalty. She needed him to think that she was a strong asset to him, rather than a weak liability. She spoke softly and stuttered a bit, unable to hide the fact that she was still shaken from Aria's death, despite her best attempts. "I-I don't blame you for it. D-Do you think we should go back to the freighter, captain?"

Aria was perhaps right when he said that the tower they were in was a better place to stay, but the freighter was significantly more imposing than the tower, and there were more places to hide inside of the broken hull of the ship than in the tower. She looked over at Aria's bag, full of supplies that they could make use of. "A-And what do you think we should do with Aria's things? A-As much as I hate saying it, it would be a waste to leave all of those supplies behind."
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

The stuttering hadn't gone unnoticed by the captain of the pirate crew of two. It wasn't much unlike the stuttering that spattered itself through Aria's speech. It had admittedly annoyed Sean at points, being indicative of a weak mind and body. Hindsight was 20/20 on this one, but now it seemed he knew exactly why. Would Sara...

No. No, that sort of thinking was laced in fear and uncertainty, and that was the last thing they needed. It was the sort of thing that brought upon them the exact kind of disaster that had just fallen. It had killed one, and Sean wanted to see another sunrise without it killing Sara, too. He did what he had to do, then; he took a ragged breath of composition, squeezed the handle of the katar until his knuckles were white, then relaxed his body before speaking.

"I think you've got just the right idea, Ms. Corlett," Sean said with the best smile he could manage. "Even when the storm's rough, you keep a level head. That's why you're my first mate!" Now she was his only mate, but right now he didn't feel like counting. "I feel like, right now, the extra pack is the captain's burden." There was a pause as he mentally stumbled over his next words. "I got us the extra load, after all. I'll get us free of it."

Sean bent down to open Aria's daypack and stow the still-dirty Katar in it. He then scooped it up with his own, and in doing so managed to turn away from her and get his face out of view before his lip wavered. He had to hold it together until they got back to the freighter.

"Let's set sail."

((Sean Mulcahy, continued in On The Edge))
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Sara stood quietly as Sean spoke. She wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying, she was too caught up in her own thoughts. She caught bits of what he was saying, about them heading back to the freighter and Sean taking Aria's bag, but she was too busy thinking about Aria. He didn't deserve this. No one did. Sean said that they should go and left the room. Sara stood there for a few more moments, unable to process anything. She packed her things and picked up her bag in a stupor, not quite conscious of what was going on. She walked down the stairs of the tower and out through the doors, following behind Sean who was a bit ahead of her.

She still couldn't wrap her head around what had just occurred. All she could fathom was that what had just happened to Aria was going to happen to her, and to everyone on the island. It has already happened to a lot of people, and the true gravity of the situation was really starting to dawn upon Sara. Sean and Sara likely couldn't keep up the pirate play much longer than they already have, someone crazy is likely to come along to ruin it soon enough. Or worse, one of them might succumb to the pressure of the island. She didn't want to think about that, she didn't want to think about how Sean might be succumbing, or how she might be succumbing.

She quieted these thoughts, she needed to focus on the moment in order to stay sane. She continued to follow Sean as they made their way away from the tower, and Aria's final resting place.

((Sara Corlett continued in On the edge))
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson

Richard Smith

Ming Robinson