V7 BDA Voting: September 2020

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
VoltTurtle

V7 BDA Voting: September 2020

Post by VoltTurtle »

Welcome to V7's final Best Death Award. Before we begin, the rules:

1. In this thread, you may post as an anonymous guest to select one handler to receive the Best Death Award. Prizes will be given out-of-character for BDA, consisting of a quote from their character to be displayed on the board index until the next BDA is awarded.
2. You may only vote while logged out. You can identify yourself in your vote if you want, but you may not claim to be another handler.
3. You may only vote once, and you may not vote for yourself in either category. Staff can see IP addresses, and we will check them if we have reason to suspect shenanigans.
4. You must provide reasoning with your vote for why you think your choices deserve the award. Votes with no reasoning will not be counted.
5. Don't be a jerk. You can explain why some scenes are your favorites without tearing others down.
6. Make sure that your answers are clear; please don't use any formatting that might cause votes to be miscounted or left out.
7. Please be sure to read every death before voting, please vote for your genuine favorites rather than just voting for your friends, and please don't campaign for awards in the chat or otherwise try to influence the vote.

And your Best Death contestants:

BEST DEATH AWARD:

VoltTurtle for the death of Marceline Carlson
Pippin for the death of Aurelien Valter
Cactus for the death of Morgan Dragosavich
Frozen Smoke for the death of Faith Marshal-Mackenzie
MurderWeasel for the death of Darlene Silva
Maraoone for the death of Diego Larrosa
Buko for the death of Ace Ortega
Emprexx Plush for the death of Marco Hart
decoy73 for the death of Christina Rennes

Voting will run for five days, and the remaining time can be found here. Votes will remain hidden until time is up, and the winners will be declared in the following announcement.
Guest Stories

Post by Guest Stories »

BDA: Marceline

This one's super tough, and that's without even bringing into play Daria and Katelynne, both of whom did some really high quality, incredibly cool stuff what must have been just a little bit after the deadline. Props to those scenes also; they're really good and I want to say as much!

More than that, there isn't a single death in this set that I would call anything less than solid. I really agonized especially about Faith and Diego, both of whose exits play certain beats pitch-perfectly and both of whom are equally deserving. I had to tiebreak somehow, and I decided to go with the scene that's a bit further back and thus might not be as fresh on other people's radars.

Preamble out of the way: Marceline was one of the very best characters in V7 for the slow burn arc, building warning signs all the way back in Pregame and then biding her time on the island until things aligned just so such that she could begin killing. One interesting piece of this is that her own approach to her relationship with Dolly is actually incredibly unhealthy; she pours everything into this and puts so much pressure and responsibility on her girlfriend it's almost crushing. And of course, it goes wrong and Marceline does terrible things and in the end it's not enough to save her anyways. And one of the best parts of her death is that she pretty much knows all of that. Lengthy dying speeches can be tough to get right, easily falling into melodrama or cliche, but part of what makes Marceline's work so well is that it's her as a character talking to Marco and to herself, and not telling the audience what to think of her. There's an element of recap, certainly, but even at this latest of stages there's character development happening. We see Marceline's bleakness return, the spark that was lit snuffed, the descent of despair, and even what hope she can grasp is muted.

Thematically, potential and the ability to move on and beyond (or, as happens far more often, the failure to do so) have hung heavy over the final twenty or so of V7. It's a pretty fascinating unity of vision among so many handlers, all bringing their own spins (and a lot of that lives in the other deaths I shouted out, and many more besides). I think part of what makes Marceline cool, though, is that she can see to an extent how tenuous it all is, not even in success or failure but in even maintaining the drive to continue.

Also, I appreciated the subtler, softer imagery she brought into play as the final victim of Lori's wild LSD spree. It's hit lots of characters hard, but Marceline shows another aspect by getting a smaller dose and just playing it for emphasis and a few especially strong feelings.
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

2 days, 8 hours, and 40 minutes left for votes!
THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU. READ ABOUT THEM AND PREPARE YOURSELF.
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson
Pregame: -#->
Memory: -#-#->
Prom: -#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-|

Richard Smith
Memory: ->
V7: -#-#-#-#-|

Ming Robinson

Amber Yates
Pregame: -#-#->
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-|
[+] V6 Roster
Wiki Pages:
G013: Penelope Fitzgerald
G046: Isabel Ramirez

V6 Meanwhile:
|-#-#-|
[+] V5 Roster
Wiki Pages:
Image G005: Madeline Wilcox
Image G030: Sara Corlett
The Radio Demon

Post by The Radio Demon »

Best Death Award: Okay, you got me. This was almost impossible to choose. As expected, the last BDAs before endgame are some of the best in the whole version, and that makes voting nearly impossible. But I had to make a choice, and I think I finally reached one.

My vote for the last Best Death Award goes to VoltTurtle for the death of Marceline Carlson. I don't know if I could fully explain why this one stood out to me when there's many others that could easily take this (shout outs for Marco, Diego, and Faith's deaths). It's the one I think just hit me the hardest and was the saddest overall. I felt really bad for Marceline with her proclamations at the end of her life, and I wish it wasn't the end she came to. It's a great scene, and I'm proud of Turtle for it.
some murderhobo

Post by some murderhobo »

My BDA vote is going to go to Maraoone for the death of Diego Larrosa. Mara told me the concept for the deaths shortly after rolls hit and I liked how much I hated the idea of reading it. It's the kind of thing that hits me particularly hard. I really enjoyed Diego throughout V7 and was privileged to write with the character a number of times. Each time I found that the work I did with Mara made me step up and do better and I really appreciate that we seemed interested in exploring similar themes and concepts, and that Mara was patient with my verbose crapulence. I think Diego was a really believable and flawed character who nevertheless managed to be strangely endearing.

This was not an easy vote to cast. I was really excited to see the conclusions of Aurelien, Morgan, Darlene, and Faith given my investment into those characters in particular, but broadly speaking I think all of the deaths on this list are solid and worth a read. Rather than go into much more detail, I'd just like to say congrats to everyone who made it into this last round of votes, you did well.

As well, just a general congratulations to everyone who participated in this version. I think we really killed it (boo) this time around and there's a lot to be proud of and to remember fondly. I am more than a little bit burnt out on my end and so I don't know if I've got another go around in me, but I'm really glad for the experience V7 provided. I think I've become a better writer and learned a lot about how to write regularly, develop better work habits, and how to approach both giving and taking criticism. I can chalk just about all of that to having the chance to work with some really talented writers, and great people. Thanks everyone.

- Shiola
LoriforV7winner4real

Post by LoriforV7winner4real »

BDA: Emprexx Plush for the death of Marco Hart.

While I am disappointed that we will not be seeing Marco in endgame, this death is some top notch shit. Marco's journey throughout V7 has been interesting. Not many characters can have a serious claim of most of their journey being about self-improvement, but Marco can. For the death itself, I found it quite disturbing. The hopelessness that surrounds the idea of not being able to escape how others perceive you, and one's own dysphoria is familiar, but not something we have seen explored in this way in SOTF. In particular, I found the repetition of the phrase "she wouldn't stop smiling" and its change to "and she stopped smiling" an effective way of demonstrating the obsessive repeating of thoughts inside of Marco's mind. The death gave me chills, and so it gets my vote.
LebronOfLechon

Post by LebronOfLechon »

BDA Emprexx Plush for Marco Hart

I struggled a lot in my vote here because of quality throughout and also because of my own personal involvement in a lot of the deaths—but ultimately I have to give it to Marco. I consider myself an ally (despite how obnoxious saying that is) but largely someone shaped by and defined by my own world view (as a straight cis dude)—through Marco I have gained an understanding of trans issues and dysphoria that I lacked before reading him. This goes back to the development with Nick and his path throughout the game but it comes full circle and fruition with his final moment and his staunch and violent rejection of his past life and identity. A great example of making lemons out of lemonade and very much worth the sweet that comes with the innate sour in writing a farewell. I thought it was a very strong showing from Paige and a strong closing that remained a bit of a mystery even among the thread participants going into the deadline week. I feel it’s worthy of reward and commemoration.
Crying in the Club

Post by Crying in the Club »

First off, I can't believe this is it guys. Thank you so much for indulging my silly opinions, thank you all for a rocking adventure. Second off you all made this hard for me, not in the Too Close way where he's singing about a boner, but the way they were so good.

Ultimately, my BDA vote is VoltTurtle for the death of Marceline Carlson. There's a lot of elements to this death I like, the back and forth between Marcy and Marco, a thread that could have been simple revenge getting but plays different. It's got a hazy air to it thanks to the touch of LSD, and I can't believe I am saying LSD is a death enhancer, thanks v7.

Marceline realizing far too late that she was her own worst enemy was just, chef kiss.
danya's twink parade

Post by danya's twink parade »

Hello. It's a really stacked round, but I'm giving my BDA vote to Marco Hart. I could spend all day giving a TED Talk on why, but I think it's a really good, really emotionally visceral scene. I'm still thinking about the bit with the mirror days later, so that's why he's getting my vote.

Really liked Faith's as well, along with Diego's and Ace's in the same thread as Marco, but I can only vote for one so
Buko

Post by Buko »

A little under an hour left! Last call for BDA votes in V7!
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Lookin' for the opps, they been hidin'
I grew up 'round drugs, sex, and violence
We turnt off they street, we heard sirens
Since a juvenile, I been wylin'
final deathstination

Post by final deathstination »

it is i

train

I think this vote more than any other vote has taken me a lot of deliberation, but i think i've decided on something

i'm voting MurderWeasel for the death of Darlene Silva.

i strongly appreciate the parallels that are set up in this death, how she sacrifices herself as a sort of tribute to jonah. like, a final push to be better. that's a strong emotional core. and, in terms of technical writing, i appreciate the flow of this scene on darlene's end, this sort of striving for every moment there is to grab. it drags on but in a meaningful way because darlene wants it to drag on, she wants to get this moment and the next and the next for as long as she can, not only for herself, but for the person she's saving. it's good stuff

also on an unrelated note, v7 has been a fun version and i've greatly enjoyed reading all the deaths you guys have had to offer.

till the next reading train, goodbye
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

And that's it for voting time!
THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU. READ ABOUT THEM AND PREPARE YOURSELF.
[+] V7 Roster
Marceline Carlson
V7: -#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-|

Richard Smith
V7: -#-#-#-#-|

Ming Robinson