D&D Mafia Game Thread

Want to play the forum game of intrigue and deception? Find it here.
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

no shadow magic for me
"Well, Fenris, the King of Gossip. We meet again."
[+] v7
the dead:
Image[B040] Dante Valerio - Fell asleep too early.
[V7] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: None Now: [Start] Prom: [Start] Trip: [Start]
Image[G014] Apollonia "Nia" Karahalios - T-R-I-E-D.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: None Trip: [Start]
Image[B004] Axel Fontaine - Lost his place.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: [Start] Trip: [Start]
Image[G041] Ivy Langley - Together forever.
[V7] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]

the living:
ImageArtem Fyodorov - Desperate.
[Meanwhile] [x] [x] [x]
[Pregame] Then: [Start] Now: [Start] Prom: [Start]
ImageZen Alicea Feliciano - On vacation!
[Meanwhile] [x]
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

okay this is probably redundant but to be clear: if you dont have shadow magic, still say something, just say you dont have shadow magic.

thx @fen
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Emprexx Plush wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:07 pm
MK Kilmarnock wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:20 pm Votecount's good enough for me.

Vote: Fenris
can you elaborate for the rest of the class why voting for someone who like most of the game is neither voting or being voted for is explained by the vote count
Sure. In my thoughts on Zetsu, I said that I was suspicious of Zetsu's response to the massclaim but I'm more suspicious of Fen for suggesting it as a bid to pick out likely candidates for the most dangerous power roles to scum. Asking for the votecount was to make sure I could put something down without getting us close to a hammer.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

MK Kilmarnock wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:51 pm Sure. In my thoughts on Zetsu, I said that I was suspicious of Zetsu's response to the massclaim but I'm more suspicious of Fen for suggesting it as a bid to pick out likely candidates for the most dangerous power roles to scum. Asking for the votecount was to make sure I could put something down without getting us close to a hammer.
Can I get your thoughts on the mass-claim thing again given the current predicament (town has ~4 useless roles alive and outed on the table, leaving scum that same information of valuable targets while also letting them hide amongst the unknowns), and also a response to the shadow magic query?
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

What the fuck is shadow magic? Also can you lay out the current town 'predicament' for me?
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

boogie wrote:yeah sure im sorcerer

im miller because i have innate shadow magic that makes me look like a scum magic user i guess
Emprexx Plush wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 pm
Deamon wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:12 am to confirm you said you had shadow magic right?
My PM says shadowy magics factor into my skillset, but using them offensively would be a bad idea, yeah
It appears to be a thing in (town) flavor that causes you to investigate as scum.

Also, I have no shadow magic in my role PM.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

MK Kilmarnock wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 pm What the fuck is shadow magic? Also can you lay out the current town 'predicament' for me?
Town predicament is Paige claimed flavor cop and shared my role (accurately). This was then confirmed by Zetsu, who I targeted with an action that proves it. Fenris soft-claimed. If all is accurate (and I'd love to get your take if anything isn't!), this means that scum are distributed exclusively among the following:

Deamon
Jace
MK
Zetsu
Decoy
Randomness

Town's actually good roles are in the same pool. Thus, mathematically, we should probably mass-claim and plug anyone shady/without a good town role.

There's side stuff going on re: starting with soft claims about whether or not you have shadow magic, which is a potential odd aside. In fact, I do have a slight suspicion there, but I'd like to hear more from others first.
randomness

Post by randomness »

No shadow magic here.

Not fond of the fact that Zetsu is pushing for a specific read on what shadow magic is when Boogie seems uncertain that shadow magic is causes them to be the miller in the quote there. Could either Boogie or Paige confirm or deny this point on shadow magic?

While Paige's role definitely checks out with your bard claim, I don't think it's impossible that both her and Fen are scum, so that's a small quibble with what you've laid out, Murder, but the rest basically seems to check out for me.

On claiming, I'm not entirely certain on it, but don't have any reason not to be on board beyond the usual giving scum information reason, which is somewhat negated by the number of verified claims we have in the open. I also agree that scum having little chance to coordinate might make this a better thing to do now than later. I definitely would like to hear if someone has arguments otherwise though.
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

ok im very tired. this is probably not up to my usual analytical quality. is my usual analytical quality good?????? i have no idea actually. maybe this is just exactly as shitty as you're expecting! who knows! this order is from the op because putting people in a precise town-to-scum order is like too much energy

Deamon - man deamon just be deamon. i would be 1000% lying if i said ive ever been able to read him hes the same general level of disengaged regardless of his alignment from my pov maybe some of yall are smarter than me but yknow. ive got nothing to say!!! i will say that if ricky flips scum at any point id look very askance at deamon because ricky gets nothing out of defending deamon if ricky is scum and deamon isnt. would be super easy to scapegoat him down the line. all im saying. if deamon flips scum i think thats less damning in ricky's direction cause it could easily just be a bad read.

Paige - as i said before i find it tremendously unlikely to the point of being basically impossible that paige and toben are both scum, and i find it reasonably unlikely that either is scum due to their low-level abilities. that said i've never seen fruit vendor used as a mafia role before (its possible but i havent seen it) and i have seen flavor cop so from that perspective its technically more likely for paige to be scum than toben, on that basis. but from my pov theyre playing their usual game, nothing super suspect going on. that said claiming a weak role so early might be a tactic to explain why they don't get nightkilled, if i wanna be suspicious and paranoid about stuff, which i do, thats why im here!!!!! thats wild speculation tho, something to chew on if theyre alive into late game (assuming we get to have a late game)

Jace - limited data. i know hes having a rough time irl right now and i definitely get that shit so no judgments here. his one effortpost is reasonable and comes off as a relatively new player trying their best which is what jace is regardless of alignment tbh. i will wait on his promised second effortpost before judging harder.

MK - voting for me means jail and death. ok more seriously despite the content gap he's one of the more talkative people. day one stuff is mostly flavor speculation that has proven to be pretty useless (if cleric is jailer nothing means anything and god is dead) not that we knew that at the time lmao. i find it very interesting and by interesting i mean suspect that yesterday ricky was like "well the massclaim thing is dumb but zetsu's thing is dumber" and now today he's like "actually the massclaim thing was worse, lets lynch fenris" like, i mean, what changed your mind? especially when several people are already on board with voting for zetsu which makes that a much easier path to go for? unless you and zetsu are both scum i don't get what you're getting out of that.

Boogie - i mean we've talked about the miller thing enough right? its tbh possible its a stall tactic considering how small the game is, like zetsu said assuming there are no other nightkills (and i could only possibly imagine someone having a oneshot vig shot in this setup, nothing else) we're going to be at mylo tomorow if we mislynch now so all boogie has to do is fly under the radar for three days and potentially win. so like lets not get complacent bout the possibility. all that said boogie hasnt actually said or done anything to make me suspicious of him at this point so yknow ill keep that under my paranoid hat with the paige thing

Zetsu - big hmmm energy here. im used to zetsu being aggressive in mafia because shes super aggressive 100% of the time and im not even totally blaming her for going after me for the massclaim thing because it was a pretty dumb thing to say at the time (please dont ask me to defend that comment because i cant lmao). she led the lynch on gianni which like, he kind of led himself to slaughter so i dont know How suspicious that is necessarily but its worth a :| considering there were other valid targets and we just ran with gianni because zetsu put the first vote down and we were low on time. she soft-defends paige and jumps to vote for deamon for being deamon which is hmm to me but also deamon is kinda sus by default so i dont Not get it. hmmm. hmmmmmm

MW - i refuse to speculate on toben on the basis that i will probably look very stupid. i think he's probably town? i think? that's all ive got. thank u

Decoy - bruh hes had like two posts with information in them and neither of them tell me anything idk what you want me to say on this one

Randomness - quiet but consistently effortful in the posts they Have made. id like to hear more from them. no major quibbles with anything theyve said tho i do think some of their posts are a bit like. idk they sound good but dont really say anything that advances arguments. if that makes sense. like i said id like to hear more

not ordered but broadly characterized:

townish: paige, boogie, toben
idk man im just trying to live my life: deamon, random
not enough info: jace, decoy
sus: ricky, zetsu
[+] v7
the dead:
[V7] [x] [x] [x]

the living:
[Meanwhile] [x] [x] [x]
[Meanwhile] [x]
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

also outside of The Readlist but re: general conversation, i am suddenly very hard side-eyeing this whole shadow magic thing and now im :eyes: @ whatever toben is thinking but apparently hes not gonna talk until more people talk so i will just sit here going >:| for the time being, i guess
[+] v7
the dead:
[V7] [x] [x] [x]

the living:
[Meanwhile] [x] [x] [x]
[Meanwhile] [x]
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

yknnow i had no fuckin idea i could just go :eyes: on the boards and now that i know i will abuse this power forever
[+] v7
the dead:
[V7] [x] [x] [x]

the living:
[Meanwhile] [x] [x] [x]
[Meanwhile] [x]
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

:eyes:
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

yknow what fuck it im probably gonna be drained of mafia energy after tonight so i might as well go in on my thoughts here.

shadow magic = "shows up as scum to cops" makes no sense whatsoever. we already have a declared miller, having multiple roles that function as millers would be bastard modding 100% and also in a game this small having even just two townies show as scum to a cop makes the cop wildly unreliable. thats assuming there isnt a godfather, which would be even worse.

we know the shadow cult is the flavor for the scum team, which implies that shadow magic is scum-aligned, and which makes broad sense for a miller. the question is why the hell it would be in paige's flavor if paige is town. there are some possibilities here, im just gonna list everything that comes to mind without regard for likelihood.
  1. paige is mafia. they slipped in mentioning the shadow magic as part of their flavor because they didn't realize it would implicate them.
  2. paige is a Judas, and the flavor text is implying that they will convert to mafia or are secretly mafia or whatever.
  3. boogie is mafia. he bullshitted the "shadow magic means i come up scum" thing, or else that was a safe claim given to him. paige having it in their role pm doesnt mean anything.
  4. the flavor text in paige's role pm is just there to make us go "hm" and is an intentional red herring
  5. this is all a coincidence, the flavor text of the role pm doesnt actually matter that much, this is all tilting at windmills
probably there are other possibilities but im tired so someone else can think about them for me thank u
[+] v7
the dead:
[V7] [x] [x] [x]

the living:
[Meanwhile] [x] [x] [x]
[Meanwhile] [x]
Fenris

Post by Fenris »

ONE LAST THING im down for a massclaim if everyone else is ok goodnight now
[+] v7
the dead:
[V7] [x] [x] [x]

the living:
[Meanwhile] [x] [x] [x]
[Meanwhile] [x]
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Fenris wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:46 am yknow what fuck it im probably gonna be drained of mafia energy after tonight so i might as well go in on my thoughts here.

shadow magic = "shows up as scum to cops" makes no sense whatsoever. we already have a declared miller, having multiple roles that function as millers would be bastard modding 100% and also in a game this small having even just two townies show as scum to a cop makes the cop wildly unreliable. thats assuming there isnt a godfather, which would be even worse.

we know the shadow cult is the flavor for the scum team, which implies that shadow magic is scum-aligned, and which makes broad sense for a miller. the question is why the hell it would be in paige's flavor if paige is town. there are some possibilities here, im just gonna list everything that comes to mind without regard for likelihood.
  1. paige is mafia. they slipped in mentioning the shadow magic as part of their flavor because they didn't realize it would implicate them.
  2. paige is a Judas, and the flavor text is implying that they will convert to mafia or are secretly mafia or whatever.
  3. boogie is mafia. he bullshitted the "shadow magic means i come up scum" thing, or else that was a safe claim given to him. paige having it in their role pm doesnt mean anything.
  4. the flavor text in paige's role pm is just there to make us go "hm" and is an intentional red herring
  5. this is all a coincidence, the flavor text of the role pm doesnt actually matter that much, this is all tilting at windmills
probably there are other possibilities but im tired so someone else can think about them for me thank u
Okay, I was gonna be quieter but this basically drives at the core of my thing... especially because, if Boogie is telling the truth, we effectively know there's a real cop in play (because otherwise a miller is ???). So like from paige's play I like their stuff, but I'm side-eyeing a teeny tiny bit because I realized we presumably have a traditional cop, so to also have a flavor cop that just so happens to have fluff that aligns with scum? It's odd. And there's some room to leverage that into a push on Boogie later, on the grounds that he's the one lying.

That said, this is sorta getting thoughts down now so they don't get lost/ignored; Paige's play has me feeling at least pretty decent and we have bigger fish to fry this phase for sure.

Return to “Mafia”