Don’t break anyone’s heart, they only have one. Break their bones, they have 206

(open)(post second announcement like idk who cares)

Most of the schoolyard lacks awnings; only the bridges above provide much in the way of a shaded area. The school's glass façade is one-way tinted, making it nearly impossible to see inside the classrooms, even on the first floor, unless right up against the glass. The open expanse includes stone tables and benches where outdoor lunch is an option, and some strips of greenery, though nothing taller than manicured grass a bit yellowed from the dehydrating Californian sun. There are two greenhouses on the southern end close to the Common Area where biology classes and more specialized classes sometimes take place; the insides of these greenhouses are severely humid, with rows of neatly arranged foliage and gardening supplies.

Moderator: SOTF: Cyber Staff

almostinhuman

Don’t break anyone’s heart, they only have one. Break their bones, they have 206

Post by almostinhuman »

((Dusk continued from forces are aligning quietly, and there will be trouble))

Well, Daniel wasn't alone. Unfortunately, that wasn't Dusk's doing.

They were crossing the schoolyard again, going the way they'd come in the night. For Paris, the night had been quiet, but that wasn't true of everyone else, clearly. Three more dead - Kirsten by her own hand, but the other two were a different story. The rest of the class had cottoned on after all.

Fuck.

Dusk had given up too early last night, gone to sleep too soon. They should have spent that time hunting someone, anyone, down. The noose was already tightening. Their chance to lull others into a false sense of security was over; there was no way their classmates weren't on high alert after seeing the footage. So they had to go for it. They had to scour the school, turn it upside down if they had do, and find somebody. Dusk had been ready from the moment they'd started. They'd almost killed Amy, their sheer inexperience being the only thing that'd kept her head on her shoulders. They couldn't walk it back. They had to keep going. They had to.

Paris leaned against one of the supporting pillars, eyes closed behind their sunglasses. Maybe they shouldn't have even bothered.
[+] TV3
"Finish what you started."
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
"You wouldn’t say that if you knew me better."
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[+] New BRAU
"Just remember me. Okay?"
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[+] SOTF U
"I like to have contingencies, and contingencies for my contingencies."
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
"I can play the game but it helps to know the score."
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
"You don't know how lucky you are."
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

((Ray Sullivan continued from Border Zone))

Ray hauled himself on upper body strength alone down the hallway, his groans filling the first floor as he neared the exit. The fog over his eyes had cleared by this time, though his snapped ankle still throbbed. His head, though, that was a new pain to deal with, and he could almost be grateful that it distracted from the older injuries. Ray, in his haste to heed Ripley's demands as well as to put as much distance between himself and that gun as possible, had decided that crawling down the stairs on just three good limbs had been a good idea.

He fell.

Twice.

He had laid there in a heap of bruising skin and aching bones until sleep had taken him, and it was by sheer dumb luck that he hadn't been discovered and...

He shook his head. He couldn't think of that. Couldn't even entertain the thought, otherwise he'd end up like Julia, or Sunny, or Andrea. Why did Andrea have to lose it like that? More than that, how could the others not see that he was just neutr... neutral... taking care of a threat. She was clearly about to start caving people's skulls in with that crowbar of hers, so he did exactly what he needed too.

Who the fuck did Ripley think he was? Did that fucking manlet seriously think he was gonna run the show? Win this whole fucking thing? Ray was carrying that little bitch through the whole first day for fucks sake, where was his fucking thanks?!

Murmuring under his breath, he crawled his way out into the schoolyard, raising his head to get a good-

"What the fu-"

He tried to stop himself, but the sight of another person was enough to set him on edge, not least of all because they had seen the announcements already, not least of all because they had a fucking sword. He swallowed hard and, with many groans of pain, raised himself to his knees, his hands up as if placating a wild beast.

"Take it easy." He said, a force calm in his voice. "I'm... I can explain."
CardboardAirplane

Post by CardboardAirplane »

(Ilya Arkadi continued from New Days)

Damn, that looked really awful watching it back. And of course, Zeph had to congratulate him directly. Seriously? That’s like burning down a building and congratulating someone for trying to leave. Not even out the door yet, just standing up and walking towards an exit. No super-effective joke either? He would’ve thought that’d be easy pickings. Maybe next time he could actually do that.

Wait. Next time?

Well… He supposed there had to be one. Wasn’t like he had a choice in the matter. It was like Zeph was his trainer and he was telling him to use… No, moving on.

Speaking of burning a building, slow burn this was. The mention that 24 hours were up did get him thinking. In the past, the thought randomly came up, like, “Oh, I’m 18 now, so I’m probably about a fourth of the way through my life” if he rounded up to 20 and assumed he’d get to 80 anyway. This time it was much more measurable. More controlled. Repeat what happened yesterday three times over and that’s it, game over, live or die. No going further with that, fight ends there no matter what. Midlife crisis coming tomorrow probably followed by the same amount of regret and self-hatred. Sounded like a fun time.

Ilya couldn’t help but question the rate things were going through. Fourth of the way through and there’s certainly more than 16 people in his class. At the start it felt fine but now there were numbers to go with it. As weird as it sounds, he couldn’t really picture the rest of his classmates playing along. Fight for the greater good and all that. He bet there were groups trying to figure this out. That kind of act got you a medal. Universally agreed to be the right thing to do. So medal for you. Posthumously.

Brush that away; look on the bright side! He was allowed to sleep in school for once—

Nah, move on from that one too. At what point does he just stop? Force himself to shut up.

By the morning, he wasn’t even in the school anymore. He wandered into the parking lot like a lost puppy since he couldn’t sleep that well and ended up walking back towards the schoolyard after the announcement.

He stopped walking when he saw people. Er, person. Someone just fell over. Reflexively he let out an "Oop."
[+] DOTF, which is only here because signatures are cool
[+] DOTF V1
Image S019: Phoenix Hanover - ELIMINATED 57th of 106 by the tiger on Day 3 ~ Instinctively she wanted to run, but the fear dragged her down.
1/2/3
Image S055: Raymond Bright - ELIMINATED 6th of 106 by Rafael Al-Rifai on Night 4 ~ "I think deep down, I really believed someone good would've had an actual chance of winning this."
1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14
Image S078: John Villarreal - ELIMINATED 47th of 106 by volcanic eruption on Day 3 ~ "Oh god, oh fuck," *screaming* "I'm gonna fucking die!"
1/2
Image S085: Rachel Villarreal - ELIMINATED 16th of 106 by Vicky Williams on Night 3 ~ Turns out it's a bit harder to actually be able to back up her words.
1/2/3/4
[+] DOTF V2
Image S020: Sinclair "Syn" Faust - ALIVE
Image S021: Maxie Flamur - ALIVE
[+] SC3
Image Perante "Payton" Losoa: The People Pleaser ~ He wanted to be a good memory. He wanted to put on a good show.
Image Lucy Ashmore: The Recluse ~ See, if you get shy over things like that, then you're never going to get out of this rut, Lucy.
[+] Cyber
Image A13: Ilya Arkadi: The Gadfly - ALIVE ~ "Let's do everyone a favour and make this easy, okay? Cause I've already had a bit of a rough night. You get it? Course you do."
1/2/3/4/5/6/7
AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by AnimeNerd »

[[She slept under a teacher's desk in one of the ruined classrooms, once she left the bridge.]]

It was the only part of the room without broken glass lining the floor, and her back may have hated her for it, but no one had found her there, and that's all she needed.

She still hadn't gotten used to the announcements, drawing her gun at the sound of the bell. She'd probably get over it at the next one, hopefully.

The sights were no easier to stomach. A suicide. A shooting. A stabbing.

That last one burned more than the others. The girl she'd talked to. The girl she could've been friends with. The girl who would've loved to see her Chun Li classic outfit.

Regret was a hard thing to swallow, but she had handled worse.

As much as she enjoyed rolling around the halls of the school, the sound gave away her location. Day one was lucky. Day two wouldn't be the same. So the wheels were done away with.

Peering out of the open greenhouse door revealed a sight. One of the class enbies leaning against a pillar. A guy on his knees looking fucked up. A guy who walked in and froze at the sight of it.

Recognition sparked in her eyes.

Common sense kept her silent, watching to see how the scene played out.
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

Well. Maybe they shouldn't have given up so easily.

Dusk's tilted their head, looking over Ray as he scrambled to his knees. Their eyes would've betrayed an appraising, sly glint, had it not been for the sunglasses. Beneath their mask, their lips formed into a cold, smug little smile.

They'd tried and failed to look everywhere for prey, but prey had just fallen directly in their lap.

One of their hands gripped the handle of their blade. Without a word, they stalked towards their target, at just brisk enough a pace to rub in what was coming.
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

Oh, fuck did I wander up to the fucking terminator or something?

“Lowry?”

Ray looked to either side of them, seeing no one but-

“Arkadi! You-“ he looked back to Lowry and saw them closer, so when he finished his thought his voice rose into a strained falsetto. “You seeing this?”

Fuck, why is this happening?

“Lowry, knock it off!”

As swiftly as he could, Ray pulled his backpack off of himself and planted it in front of him.

More boot steps.

He unzipped the bag.

More boot steps.

He dug his hand inside, trying to find anything he could that would keep what he knew was going to happen from happening.

“Arkadi,” he hollered over, sweat starting to shine on his skin. “Help me for fucks sake!”

He let out a gasp as he hand brushed something hard, and he yanked it out with no hesitation, thrusting it out in front of him like a crucifix, like he believed it’s mere presence would be enough to ward off harm. The one bright spot in his brief partnership with Rip?

“GRENA…”

He turned his hand around to appraise the object in his hand, the one that clearly was not a grenade. It was a folded up piece of plastic. When he unfolded it, he saw his pasty, sweating face reflected back.
CardboardAirplane

"Uwah, uh?" His eyes widened for an instant. It wasn't something he could just watch anymore; he got called out and consequently dragged in.

Struggling with the zipper on his pack, he opened it just enough to pull out the grenade launcher. He tossed it up a couple of inches to fix his grip but kept it pointed at the ground, not fully committed to messing with someone who was willing to hurt him this time. Except he wasn't all that worried since he was sure he had distance on his side. He felt he was in the best position out of the three, which brought on a dose of arrogance.

"Hahaaa, uh, hey now, don't give me a reason to shoot this thing." He yelled out before vaguely pointing it in the duo's direction. "Shoots bombs, I think."

If he stopped and thought about the situation, it didn't make sense for him to throw himself into the fray. Walking away would be better, or firing immediately.

He wasn't even all that friendly with Ray. He could say he generally liked everyone, but that didn't mean Ray was without fault. Great guy and all, yeah, but he was weird at times. Called over not so politely too. Oh, there's the whole killing thing, that also. There was little in terms of rational reasons to go with this.

Realistically, there's no reason to hold back anyway.

Ilya kept his finger off the trigger.
[+] DOTF V1
Image S019: Phoenix Hanover - ELIMINATED 57th of 106 by the tiger on Day 3 ~ Instinctively she wanted to run, but the fear dragged her down.
1/2/3
Image S055: Raymond Bright - ELIMINATED 6th of 106 by Rafael Al-Rifai on Night 4 ~ "I think deep down, I really believed someone good would've had an actual chance of winning this."
Image S078: John Villarreal - ELIMINATED 47th of 106 by volcanic eruption on Day 3 ~ "Oh god, oh fuck," *screaming* "I'm gonna fucking die!"
1/2
Image S085: Rachel Villarreal - ELIMINATED 16th of 106 by Vicky Williams on Night 3 ~ Turns out it's a bit harder to actually be able to back up her words.
1/2/3/4
[+] DOTF V2
[+] SC3
Image Perante "Payton" Losoa: The People Pleaser ~ He wanted to be a good memory. He wanted to put on a good show.
Image Lucy Ashmore: The Recluse ~ See, if you get shy over things like that, then you're never going to get out of this rut, Lucy.
[+] Cyber
Image A13: Ilya Arkadi: The Gadfly - ALIVE ~ "Let's do everyone a favour and make this easy, okay? Cause I've already had a bit of a rough night. You get it? Course you do."
1/2/3/4/5/6/7
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

She kept her finger on the trigger.

A shot would not be perfect, at this distance, but possible.

One part said to do it now. Give him what he deserves. Murder begats murder. Just squeeze the trigger.

It was pointed at him, but she had yet to fire.

Just a little bit longer. Just a bit more, and she'd do something.

How would the sword wielding enby and the second murderer take his words? Would they do as he said? With those threats, would the third murderer get more weapons to work with?

Did they even hear him? Was she about to see two people explode?
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
almostinhuman

Post by almostinhuman »

It wasn't going to be that, simple, of course. Dusk should've known better. Even with a helpless, fumbling victim square in their sights, someone would have to intervene.

And for Ray of all people, even after they'd all seen what he'd done to Andrea. Dusk would have figured that even if someone was watching, they wouldn't lift a finger for the likes of him. Compared to their failed ambush on Amy, unprovoked as it was, it felt like Ray honestly had it coming. It wasn't why Dusk was targeting them - anyone who'd stumbled in as he had would've sufficed - but it'd felt at least like no one would miss the fucker when they were finished with him.

But the interloper - Ilya - was just as guilty. Perhaps he was looking out for a kindred spirit, in that way. Or maybe he just liked Ray enough to cover for his pathetic ass. Either way, Dusk wasn't risking it with a fucking grenade launcher on the scene. Their sword wasn't actually drawn yet, and they couldn't be certain they'd be able to kill Ray and skeddadle before Ilya turned them both to paste on the concrete. They could possibly warp to Ilya first and kill him, but that still seemed like a risk of fiery explosion they weren't quite ready to take. Plus they couldn't be sure Ray wouldn't grab some unseen gun and open fire himself while they were busy.

They glared at Ilya out of the corner of their eye. With a heavy sigh, their hand dropped from the katana's hilt.

"You..." they growled, eyes turned to stare right through Ray. "You don't know how lucky you are."

They spun on their heel, facing back towards the door they came from, uttering a single word.

"Jump."

In an instant, they were clear across the schoolyard, back at the door they'd come here through. They gave one last cold little glare towards Ray, before pulling the door open and disappearing inside.

((Dusk continued Look At You, Hacker))
[+] TV3
Nadine Flores
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[+] Supers
Austin Greene
A B C D E F
[+] New BRAU
Kyoichi Motobuchi
A B C D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[+] SOTF U
Rachana Kumar
1 2 3 4
[+] ORDG
Marcus "Ashe" Wilson
[+] Cyber
Paris "Duskblade" Lowery
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

Ray was afraid of Lowry, obviously, given the circumstances, and he had expected that fear to disi… go away when Arkadi actually started doing what he wanted him too. It would have if the lunatic hadn’t pulled out a fucking grenade launcher of all things. The sight of that would probably have made Ray shit all over himself if that were an option.

“O-Oh…” Was all Ray could manage before Lowry started speaking. Ray had seen them during classes occasionally, and he had just assumed they were another one of the freak kids., and not even one of the obnoxious ones either, like fucking Hero or whatever his name is. Being honest, Ray would’ve thought that guy was going to start airing out the student body as soon as he had the chance. He always just got the vibe.

Now, looking up at the glowering, half covered face of Paris Lowry, Ray felt a pit in his chest that only deepened when they turned around and fucking teleported to one of the exits. By the time it was just him and Arkadi, he’d dropped the shitty plastic hand mirror and dropped to all fours again, tremors rattling him for a short moment before he flopped over onto his side.

“T-Tha-Thanks, Arkadi.” He said, a hand clutching his chest so he could feel whether his heart was gonna explode or not.

“How… How's it going?”
CardboardAirplane

"... Woah. Scary." He chuckled, a reflex to ease the tension because by god there was a lot of it. It wasn't that he feared death at the moment, but there was the idea that he wouldn't even get mental preparation before killing someone again.

So scratch his initial thought. Some of them were going insane. Guess that made a couple of them he could morally claim was right to kill. Self-defence and all. Not like it mattered in the end, but he'll grasp at anything he could get.

"Bad spot when you're relying on me of all people to save your life, ahaha."

He realised he still had the grenade launcher pointed in Ray's direction. The barrel glinted in the light as he looked down towards it.

He seemed to contemplate for a couple of moments before putting it down.

"Oh... Hm. You know. Nothing out of the ordinary."

With slow footsteps, Ilya started making his way over to Ray, though he made a point to keep a hand in his pocket and the grenade launcher pointed away.

There was a looming question on both of their minds, probably. Now it was just a matter as to who'd break that shell first.

Nah just kidding, of course it was going to be him, who else would it be? They had three days, no time to be dancing around the language.

"What happened with Drea?"
[+] DOTF V1
1/2/3
1/2
1/2/3/4
[+] DOTF V2
[+] SC3
[+] Cyber
1/2/3/4/5/6/7
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

They bailed.

The boys got comfy with each other.

Her eyes narrowed.

Stupidity in her wanted to complain. When it's girls, it's open season, but when it's guys you stick together? Fucking assholes.

She kept her mouth shut, a straight line.

Then, a whisper.

"Not yet, chat. Only when I know I can hit them."
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
EllisWilson

Post by EllisWilson »

Fuck, why did he have to bring that up? Between getting held at gunpoint, falling down two flights of stairs, and then getting held at swordpoint, Ray simply didn't think about Drea. He was aware, however dimly, that the knowledge of her being dead because of his trigger finger should affect him. Maybe make him cry and moan about how he's so horrible or some dumb pissbaby bullshit like that.

The only thing he did feel, however, was irritated over having to explain himself, which he caught before he spoke. Why wasn't he losing it over her? He didn't really know her too well, but still, they were going to the same fucking high school for four years, so he should be...

He was making faces.

He could feel his forehead creasing and uncreasing and his jaw muscles contracting before he shook all of that away. "Well... uh..."

He flicked his tongue over his lips like a lizard, rolling over onto his back before continuing.

"You saw the footage, right? 'Course you did, what am I thinking? Well, you saw how she was getting. Swinging that crowbar around and screaming like someone just... uh, you get what I mean. She was losing it, and I thought 'She's gonna come over here and brain me with that thing.' So that's why I-"

He sat up suddenly, wincing over his bum ankle for a second before continuing, voice straining as he did his best impression of doe eyes. Gotta look good here, especially when the guy has a fucking grenade launcher.

"I just... It wasn't just me, right? I was with Ripley and Jill and, uh, that Jon Crumble kid, the one in the tracksuit? Like, I was thinking of what might happen to them too, right? Like, Jill didn't even have her stuff cuz Àngel stole it all. What do you think Drea woulda did to her, right? I didn't... I didn't want to kill her. I'm not Zeph, man, I didn't ask for this."

You pull all that out of your ass and you can't even muster up a few tears? Was his thought as he awaited the verdict from the only armed person he could see.

"Why's the grass so tall?"
CardboardAirplane

Self defence. That's what it sounded like anyway. If not self defence, then at least there was enough fear to get him to act impulsively. Was that what happened?

That wasn't on him to figure out. He wasn't the perceptive type; it did sound like a clusterfuck on the announcement too. Lots of screams and shouts. All he had to go off of were the words "I won't be". He could question the meaning of those words all he wanted, but in the end all he had was what he was being told here. He had no way of knowing. If he was telling the truth, then damn, that really sucks for him.

There was a twinge of frustration towards the idea if he was lying. He would’ve preferred the truth. At this moment? He’d rather they’d admit they’re choosing to be a horrible person and move on. Accept you'll have killed your graduating class, your classmates of four years, some of them you've known for much longer. Accept you'll probably go straight to Hell if you believed it existed. Accept you'll probably be arrested because he was pretty sure duress only goes so far.

If you chose to believe this game was real, you really only had two choices. And if you didn't have the heart to shoot yourself, that only left one choice.

He sighed. The logic was sound, but still, he wished he couldn't feel pity in this moment.

"Aaaahaaaaaaa, what?" Heavy thoughts aside, he couldn't help but snicker towards the question. "Yeah, that grass be growing." Of all the things.

"No, I'll believe you, I guess. I mean, it doesn't reeeeaaally matter whether I do or not, I just wanted to know. You could've told me anything and it wouldn't change a thing." He shrugged.

"So. You're not gonna... Keep doing that?" What did he say about dancing around the language? "Killing I mean, you're not actually doing what he said?"
[+] DOTF V1
1/2/3
1/2
1/2/3/4
[+] DOTF V2
[+] SC3
[+] Cyber
1/2/3/4/5/6/7
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

No moving closer or further away.

Only talking.

The line turned to a scowl.

She wasn't close enough to hear, and she wasn't confident (or stupid) enough to think revealing herself would go well.

Would things change? Would the opportunity slip through her fingers, or crawl right into them?

Was it best to leave now, while they were still distracted with each other? Before-

Fuck, did they just see her?

Instinctively, she dropped into a crouching position. Shifting until she was more behind the wall than visible through the open doorway. Gun held close, finger finally off the trigger.

Two boys turned to shapeless blobs through the glass, only barely visible over the tall grass.

All she could think was how bad of a mistake this had been.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future